Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Fun and games: Crist aims to trust teammates, loosen up after tight start

Kansas quarterback Dayne Crist (10) celebrates a Jayhawk touchdown with defensive end Toben Opurum (35) against Rice during the second quarter on Saturday, Sept. 8, 2012 at Memorial Stadium.

It’s no secret that Kansas University quarterback Dayne Crist’s start as a Jayhawk has been a little less spectacular than most people expected.

Now we know why.

Tuesday afternoon, while speaking to reporters during back-to-back weekly news conferences, Crist and KU coach Charlie Weis shared the details of a Monday evening chat that seemed to go a long way toward clearing Crist’s head.

“He and I had a great conversation,” Crist said. “And I think we both came out of that very positive and having a better understanding of what’s going on around the offense. I really felt a lot better after that conversation.”

While the specifics of the talk were communicated in more general terms, each example centered on an element of Crist’s demeanor that had been with him most of his life but not yet joined him in Lawrence.

“It was clear, in watching myself on film, that I just wasn’t having fun out there,” Crist said. “And that’s why I play the game. I plan on having a lot more fun from here on out.”

There are nearly a dozen reasons that football stopped being as much of a joy for Crist during the past few weeks, with pressure to perform, a desire to please the man who gave him another chance and the longing to lead the Jayhawks to better days chief among them.

“I don’t really listen to the outside stuff,” Crist admitted. “The pressure I was feeling was stuff I put on myself. I’ve always been internally motivated and I know what I need to do. But sometimes I think I’m a little too hard on myself and I’ve just gotta go out and let it loose and I plan on doing that.”

Add to that the burden of knowing in the back of his mind that a good senior season at Kansas could earn Crist a shot at his ultimate goal of becoming an NFL quarterback, and it’s easy to see how all of the factors sucked the fun out of the game for the 6-foot-4, 235-pound quarterback from southern California. Knowing that, and realizing he needed to act before KU’s schedule thinned out, Weis stepped in and had one of those vintage, straight-to-the-point Charlie Weis chats with his QB.

“Just do your job,” recalled Weis, when asked Tuesday what he told Crist the previous night. “What do we know now about our team that we didn’t know two weeks ago? Let’s start there. We’ve got a couple of good runners and we can run the ball pretty efficiently. So, if you’re a quarterback then, you don’t have to bear all the weight on your shoulders.”

It was not just Weis who believed that was happening.

“Yeah. I was fighting it and denying it at first,” said Crist, who has completed 52 percent of his passes for 313 yards, two touchdowns and three interceptions in two games. “But that’s 100 percent what I was doing. We’ve got a ton of athletes around (me) and I’ve said it publicly before. With the way that our running backs have gone out and run the ball, it’s really just about going out and running the offense and having fun.”

While Crist sat at the front of the room and talked about his new outlook, the air around him indicated it was working. His answers to questions seemed more genuine and less scripted, he smiled more frequently and let reporters a littler deeper into his head.

“With how tight I looked playing, that’s not me at all,” he said. “Missing throws that I don’t miss. I’ve identified the issues that I think I needed to identify. ... I talked to a lot of other guys on offense, and we kind of felt the same way; we were playing too tight. We need to loosen up and have some fun.”

So that’s what Crist did. He began at Tuesday’s practice, where coaches and teammates said they saw a more energetic attitude from their quarterback.

“Yeah, I did,” quarterbacks coach Ron Powlus said. “I think he had a good time at practice today. He had a fine practice, and it looked like he had a little more fun playing today.”

While Powlus, who works closely with Crist every day, recognized a more upbeat Crist on Tuesday, he said the quarterback’s transformation was more subtle than anything.

“Dayne’s not changed what he’s doing, he’s not a different guy, it’s none of that,” Powlus said. “We want to have more production. That’s what it comes down to.”

Injury update

During his weekly news conference Tuesday, Weis confirmed that junior linebacker Prinz Kande would miss the rest of the season because of a torn anterior cruciate ligament. The loss puts a dent in KU’s depth at linebacker.

“He was playing pretty well,” Weis said. “And he was playing two positions. I feel bad for him more than I feel bad for me.”

In addition, Weis said running back Brandon Bourbon, wide receiver Kale Pick and safety Lubbock Smith all were “day-to-day” with injuries that could keep them out of Saturday’s 11 a.m. game against TCU.

“If we were playing today, I don’t know if any of the three of them would play,” Weis said. “But all three of them are trying to play this Saturday so we’ll see how it goes. Structurally, they’re OK. But there’s swelling and pain and things like that that we have to deal with. I don’t see any of those being long-standing injuries. It’s just how quickly they recover.”

McDonald ready to roll

One bit of good news on the injury front came with the return of senior linebacker Anthony McDonald, who landed on this week’s depth chart for the first time this season as a second-string outside linebacker.

Weis said previously that he was not comfortable putting the hard-hitting 6-2, 235-pounder in a game until he was confident he could “let it loose.” When asked about the Notre Dame transfer’s upgraded status, Weis said simply, “He’s ready to play.”

He later added: “We’re gonna play a team this week that might just line up and try to pound us. So you can’t play with a bunch of 5-8, 190-pound linebackers. You better be ready to have some girth.”

Weis: TCU belongs

After becoming somewhat of a non-BCS national power during the past decade, many are watching with interest to see if TCU successfully can translate that success into the Big 12.

In studying film for this weekend’s match-up, Weis has seen all he needs.

“They’re definitely an upper-level team in this conference,” Weis said of Gary Patterson’s Horned Frogs. “I’ve looked at the tape of all these teams in this conference. This team can hang with all the big boys. They’re well coached. This guy’s a good head coach and he’s a good defensive coach on top of it.”

Throughout the early portion of the week, Weis has emphasized how impressed he has been with TCU’s transformation from a defensive juggernaut to a more balanced team.

“They used to win games on defense, and now they can win games in multiple ways, which they’re gonna need to against a bunch of good football teams in this conference on a weekly basis.”

Stadium renovations?

Williams Education Fund members recently were given an 81-question survey designed to explore what they would like and would not like to see regarding potential renovations to KU’s Memorial Stadium.

KU officials said the survey was merely the next step in the process of gauging what’s needed and was designed to determine the overall appetite for stadium renovations.

According to the survey, “Memorial Stadium improvements could include new and improved concession and restroom facilities, improved crowd circulation, and new and improved premium seating and hospitality areas.”

The survey, which is being conducted by CSL International, also indicated that donor input was “very important” and, to back that up, KU offered two free tickets to a 2012 KU football game of the participant’s choice simply for completing the survey.

Comments

jayhawk1991 2 years, 2 months ago

Crist will only continue to improve as the year goes on. His performance has a direct correlation with how this team will perform. As far as the stadium, get rid of the track and the goofy looking seats in the south endzone. Go back to the bleachers in that endzone and place the seat as close as possible all the way around the stadium.

Lucas Town 2 years, 2 months ago

What do we say, if Crist has a bad game Saturday and we lose by 20 or 30 points? To me that is not competitive football. The defense is the major correlation on how the team will perform. If the D is giving up points drive after drive, Crist will only feel more pressure to try to get the offense moving. Added pressure may not translate to better performance.

99yard_run 2 years, 2 months ago

Bag of Rice > Kansas*

*idea inspired by Manginowitz001%!$

gardenjay 2 years, 2 months ago

IN order for the track to go from the stadium, there needs to be a new track elsewhere. Kansas used to be a track powerhouse, and let's face it, that can only help our football team - often football players and track mix pretty well.

There was a time, long ago, when a javelin was thrown at halftime at KU football games, and the crowd loved it. I say embrace track and field, mix it with football where possible, it would be better for all. Move the track when you invest in a new one!

gardenjay 2 years, 2 months ago

I noticed Demps was on the Olympic 4x4 relay team, a running back from UF, and I recall other football stars that truly enjoyed the sport. Just because it is non-contact doesn't mean it's something people don't care about. Obviously there is still a track around the stadium, and it ain't movin' until there's a replacement track somewhere else. Why? Because people care about track. GO TRACK!!!

Rivethead 2 years, 2 months ago

There is a Heisman Trophy winner and starting NFL QB by the name of Robert Griffin III. He was a Big 12 track star long before he became a Big 12 football star.

Jeremy Hays 2 years, 2 months ago

People care, however, I do agree that the track needs to be moved. Not because I don't care about track however as it is not a revenue producing sport and it is causing much grief about stadium renovations on a sport that will at least give the school 20 M a year and maybe more if expanded. I see it as make a "Olympic Village" track complex hell name it after Dixon and then spend great money on updating stadium to look and feeling like the Anderson complex which is REALLY Nice.

Dirk Medema 2 years, 2 months ago

Wrong. Lots of "no ones" care about track.

Displayhawk 2 years, 2 months ago

If no one cares about track, then why is track and field a large part of the Olympic games???

Cameron Cederlind 2 years, 2 months ago

I agree there are people that care about track but the Olympics is a bad gauge for judging popularity in sports. Gymnastics was one of the biggest parts and barely anyone cares about Gymnastics outside of the Olympics. One of the most watched sports in America, Football, is not an Olympic sport.

jayhawkdude46542 2 years, 2 months ago

Because track is wildly popular in Europe, and the Olympics aren't about what Americans think.

KGphoto 2 years, 2 months ago

Just because it's not a revenue sport doesn't mean people don't care.

gdkadjayhawk 2 years, 2 months ago

As always, you're way out of touch and unafraid...

Phoghorn 2 years, 2 months ago

Memorial Stadium is fine as-is. As long as we are getting our 2-3 wins per year in front of 25K people, there is really no need for expansion, nor track removal.

Randy Bombardier 2 years, 2 months ago

They'd care about track if we could recruit Usain Bolt to play football. Surely in four years we could get him coached up.

railer20 2 years, 2 months ago

The only thing good about your post is your spelling!

Doug Cramer 2 years, 2 months ago

I'm warming up to Baty. The guy is a proven passer at the collegiate level. Seems like he could fit well into Weis's system and provide the offense with some balance.

Dirk Medema 2 years, 2 months ago

It seems silly to spend much of any $ messing with the stadium until a replacement, international std track is built elsewhere in Lawrence for the teams to use. Then take the $ that's been saved, and incrementally replace 4 sections (E, W, N, S) with new facities.

Dirk Medema 2 years, 2 months ago

Dayne had a better comp% and ypp against a better D. Maybe we should give him more than 2 games.

KCJay 2 years, 2 months ago

Crist is definitely not Reesing. There seems to be some innate qualities that Reesing has over Crist. Reesing was a fast thinker, an escape artist and a play maker. He seemed to be aware of his options or he made them.
I don't get that from Crist. He seems to have more linear thinking. Point A to point B. The other thing is he seems to loft the football. It takes forever for it to get there. The defensive players seem to have plenty of time to get there. I'm not giving up on him by any means. But maybe he needs some serious competition for his position rather than having it handed to him.

NebraskaJayhawk 2 years, 2 months ago

You're right. Crist is definitely not Reesing. So please don't compare the two. They have absolutely nothing in common as QBs. Reesing would not fit well into CW's style of play at all. Crist is a pro-style offense q-back. Reesing was a great QB, but please don't compare apples to oranges.

oldalum 2 years, 2 months ago

You have to remember that Reesing had Talib and Meier (sp) to throw to. Makes a big difference.

NebraskaJayhawk 2 years, 2 months ago

You mean Briscoe. But let's also throw in Henry....all big targets. We really lack that big go to receiver. This was a major concern for me going into the season and I think it's showing. Surprised we aren't going to our tight ends more. Crist is going to settle down and start hitting his targets though. We're going to improve.

nuleafjhawk 2 years, 2 months ago

Hmmm. It appears that I may have something in common with this young man. Through the first couple of games, I haven't been having that much fun myself.

I think I'm going to take his advice and loosen up and just start having more fun from here on out.

However, my wife probably won't appreciate the fact that I've started drinking again.

79ictjhawk 2 years, 2 months ago

I just hope we're all still having fun after the TCU game!

jhawkrulz 2 years, 2 months ago

There is a reality of how poor our team has been and it is going to take some time to move forward. I'm still very positive about this season. I think we will see some better passes this year. I still think the one big problem is we don't have that go to receiver that most teams have had historically. OU-Broyles, KU-Briscoe, the list could go on, but this year, we have Pick-injured and Patterson that hasn't held his own "yet". I still think there is a continued bit of chemistry to be developed and most of us thought it would be built during the offseason. Unfortunately, there were a lot of changes to be made, new system, new defense and offense, new QB, new receiver expectations, the list goes on. I think that things were going so smoothly in practice and Crist was executing well in practice that other things became the focus. I think the spotlight is back on the QB and we will see some improvements. One thing is certain and that is HCCW can work with QBs. I also think that TCU will have a tougher time putting KU away.

KGphoto 2 years, 2 months ago

Patterson has been wide open in the end zone each of the first two games and Crist missed him by a mile.

jhox 2 years, 2 months ago

Let's tear down the stadium and rebuild on the same site. Play home games at Arrowhead or Livestrong for one season (Livestrong would ensure sell outs and keep the games in God's state.) build a shiny, new 60,000 or 65,000 seat stadium with room for expansion on the current site. Send a message we're serious about football, and let the new stadium signify a rebirth of a new and improved football program.

KGphoto 2 years, 2 months ago

Never going to happen. Memorial stadium is a memorial after all. You don't just go digging up memorials for shiny new things. Pretty lame to even suggest that considering we just spent a day remembering 9/11.

Nick Cole 2 years, 2 months ago

I said this to my father-in-law during the Rice game. I don't think we necessarily need an entirely new stadium, but there are a ton of changes that need to be made. Among them:

-Remove the track, sink field, and add seats closer to the action, but up higher so there is a good view from front row. -Remove the bleachers and replace with individual seats (blue, so the stadium won't look as empty when people leave) -New facade on the outside of the stadium and parts of the inside covered in limestone (no more ugly grey concrete) -Covered tunnel from the Anderson Football Complex into the stadium

And the list goes on. I saw a nice rendition on this site that someone made a few weeks ago, but can't find it now. Playing a season at Livestrong while the renovation is completed is fine with me.

rockchalkfletch 2 years, 2 months ago

We definitely need the tunnel to enter the stadium. It looks really stupid to run on to the field by opening the fence. I also like the idea of adding seats. Those bleachers really hurt, and it gets way to crowded

jhox 2 years, 2 months ago

That's right. Let's continue to think small. This isn't Allen Field House, a nationally known shrine that helps with recruiting. Keep a few walls if you want to. That's fine, but Memorial is a dump, and it needs more than just a slight face lift.

If you want to compete with the big dogs, you better have the ammo to do it. The problem is that too many people don't really care about football. As long as they can tailgate and leave at half time, it doesn't matter if we win or lose. I want to win, not just go through the motions. It's time for KU to quit thinking small when it comes to football.

TKHAWK 2 years, 2 months ago

This article is great news, but still a long way from reality. I would advise anyone with extra time an energy to blog about how much they hate the track in Memorial Stadium, need to get behind this initiative and focus their energy to convince the community of Lawrenece how great this complex would be. If the complex is built, the stadium track is gone, simple as that. It would be nice for the softball team not to have to use a port-a-potty as well. This new facility would be great for Lawrence and KU. I hope it doesn't vanish in a puff of smoke.

kureader 2 years, 2 months ago

Very good article. This dog will hunt. And, it paves the way for a major stadium renovation that will involve alot more than just removing the track.

Williams Fund contributors can look forward to a huge blitz to raise money ... do you think Gill and Perkins will give back any of the $14+ million they received for NOT working at KU any longer?

KUMC84 2 years, 2 months ago

While that may not be the best option, it is disappointing that we're in a worse position that we were a year ago at this time under Gill. HCCW came in touting all these fifth year seniors and juco players. It wasn't a rebuild with high school recruits, so there is a lot more riding on this year. AT ND, he won with Willingham's recruits and couldn't win with his. Wide receiver was the position he said he was really pleased with the level of talent and he had a 5 star quarterback, so the problems should not be a severe as they are. It's frustrating that I see a lot more PR and hype for HCCW rather than coaching substance.

Chris Shaw 2 years, 2 months ago

Breaking News: Notre Dame just joined the ACC in all sports except football! This is terrible news!

Jesse or Matt, you guys have info on where this puts the Big 12 at the moment. That puts the ACC up to 15 schools now. Something else is going to go down.

Chris Shaw 2 years, 2 months ago

This is so frustrating because I think the Big 12 was caught with their head between their tails again. Grrrrrrrrr.

With the new supposed 50 million ACC buyout........that pretty much eliminates any possibility of FSU and Clemson ever rejoining those talks. Plus, you know the ACC isn't going to stand at 15 schools and will most likely go up to 16.

I still wish the Big 12 would go after Louisville, but they need a football power/name to go with it and unfortunately.........there aren't many options left.

madamhawk 2 years, 2 months ago

The Big XII did lose out big time. You have to hjand it to the ACC, when they make moves no one, no rumors or gossip, knows until the deal has been done. They say ND went to the ACC cause of academics. I agree. We have lost (4) AAU schools in two years and replaced with (2) non-AAU. Also, it was a better move for ND to go ACC because the B12 doesn't have a lot of the sports they play. I'm sure this will upstart conference realignment again and who exactly does the BigXII go after?

kerbyd 2 years, 2 months ago

Nebraska lost their AAU affilations because their academics suck.

gdkadjayhawk 2 years, 2 months ago

Just curious - "head between their tails"?

JayDocMD 2 years, 2 months ago

frustrating quote from CNN.com article:

"Notre Dame had flirted with a scheduling arrangement with the Big 12 and joining that conference in other sports, but this move appears more logical than playing games in obscure Midwest markets."

Apparently we are obscure.

Phoghorn 2 years, 2 months ago

Yes, but Lawrence is the center of the universe. It balances things out.

Phoghorn 2 years, 2 months ago

My objective was to make you pee your pants.

kureader 2 years, 2 months ago

Obviously, the CNN writer lives east of the Mississippi.

JayDocMD 2 years, 2 months ago

I guess obscure is a relative term. When a conference includes Kansas City, Austin, Dallas, and OKC/Tulsa markets that wouldn't be the word I would choose.

Carl Anderson 2 years, 2 months ago

Read again: Lubbock, Stillwater, Manhattan... don't forget Ames. Yeah, we're obscure.

JayDocMD 2 years, 2 months ago

Lubbock, TX (population 233,740), Stillwater, Oklahoma (46K), Manhattan, KS (52K) and ... don't forget Ames, Iowa (59K)

Charlottesville, VA (~43K), Blacksburg, VA (~42K), and Clemson, SC (~42K) and Chapel Hill (57K.)

By your criteria (which apparently consists of picking 4 of the smallest schools from each conference), the ACC is even more obscure than we are.

Randy Bombardier 2 years, 2 months ago

Although Notre Dame is about tradition, they don't want to start any new ones like, The annual loss to OU, The annual loss to UT, annual loss to K-State (and that would be embarrassing), annual loss to Iowa State, etc, etc. Heck, in a few years there would not be a team in the Big12 they could beat. No wonder they joined the ACC. Everything else is just a smoke screen and now they can get out of some of their other annual loss traditions.

Chris Shaw 2 years, 2 months ago

And South Bend, Indiana isn't obscure? It's amazing how the "Midwest" borders seem to be shrinking in reality and in the minds of the Media. So freaking frustrating.

kureader 2 years, 2 months ago

Sort of ... though, South Bend is 100+ miles from Chicago. That's a bit like saying that Manhattan KS is a suburb of Kansas City.

KGphoto 2 years, 2 months ago

Does this mean Crist is going to run it when there is 15 yards of open field turf in front of him and nobody is open? Oh, I hope so. That would be a lot more fun.

Regarding the stadium renovation, fingers crossed that there are a few write-in votes. I don't think new toilets, a few hot dog stands and... was that crowd circulation?... are much to get jazzed about. At this point how could anybody NOT want the whole enchilada? If you want better crowd circulation, put the track on the concourse, that'll get 'em moving, but please don't waste anymore time with premium seating and crappers!

Seriously how could you have a survey to gauge stadium renovation interest and not have "Remove the track and fill in seats closer to the field" on there?

kureader 2 years, 2 months ago

They did gauge the interest in removing the track ... the point is, the renovation will likely include much more than just the removal of the track. It will become a complicated project that involves rebuilding and relocating seats in the bowl and elsewhere. Any seat renovation will be extensive because the rows are less than 30" apart ... modern seats require another 6". It's likely a 200+ million dollar project. They only part of memorial stadium that's considered modern is the press box area that includes the suites. The rest is subject to renovation or complete rebuild.

KGphoto 2 years, 2 months ago

When did they gauge interest in removing the track? I don't see that. And if they did, wouldn't have LJW published that?

Sam Brockert 2 years, 2 months ago

Anyone else get an email from Kansas Athletics about a stadium renovation survey? I took the survey yesterday.

Phoghorn 2 years, 2 months ago

Yes, I will take it too. I won't make too many suggestions as Memorial Stadium is already sufficient for our needs.

jhawkrulz 2 years, 2 months ago

I always wanted a few seats that kind of suspended in the air like the camera does and sweeps back and forth to watch the game. It'd kind of be like "soaring California" at Disneyland, but it would be you following the action over the field.

I always like some of the proposals for the football stadium...my favorite is let's build a 65,000 seat stadium, when we don't even fill a 54,000? stadium.

Another one...get rid of the premium seating at the end zones; however, aren't they the ones spending the dough to get more of a cushy seating.

What about cushy seating everywhere, we could downgrade the seating from about 54,000 to about 30-35000, but it'll look more sold out.

I still think we should just have all the students bring a shovel to KU day and without permission just tear up the track. I'm sure you could get a few businesses to bring in a back hoe or two. Anyways, with the damage done to the track, KU would actually have to make a decision about it.

I still think the biggest key is better TVs at the stadium, look at Allen, TX High School, look at JerryWorld, nothing says football like putting yourself on the bigscreen. I would even say figure out the way to project it in 3D, so each person would have to wear 3D glasses in the stadium.

And for the pessimist out there, have like several games on the TVs, that way if KU is blowing out a team (or reverse) and the fans want to leave to watch another game...they wouldn't have to. I would even have big TVs that would roll out over the track (easy moveability) so one you hide the track, but two you can watch other games (or highlights of the current game).

I don't have answers, but I always like reading the answers people have on here.

Randy Bombardier 2 years, 2 months ago

I like the decrease in seating idea. One way we could do that is to just get bigger (literally) fans who take up two seats. Stuff them with free hot dogs and cokes and they'll be too bloated to leave the game. Maybe make the seats recliners so they could snooze. (I mean the crowd is quiet enough. Its not like that will wake them.)

Sam Brockert 2 years, 2 months ago

Notre Dame just joined the ACC in all sports but football. There goes the ND to Big 12 rumors.

Dale Stringer 2 years, 2 months ago

Hopefully the questionaire had check boxes for better/more parking and better vehicle access. There's no need for a bigger stadium if you can't get anymore people to it.

Sam Brockert 2 years, 2 months ago

It did. It also asked about luxury seats, location, atmosphere, tailgating, etc. It also asked for additional comments and all I put was "Remove the track"/

JayDocMD 2 years, 2 months ago

So there was not a specific question asking about track removal?

Chayse Patrick 2 years, 2 months ago

If Crist is a 5 star player then Collin Klein coulda went to the NFL after high school. The two comparisons aren't even close. Klein can and does run at will, Crist can't run and won't. The only reason Crist followed Weis to KU was to secure an NFL contract and after a 1-11 or 2-10 year that ain't happening. I really expected more but that 4th quarter abortion against Rice was pathetic. That was ALL ON THE COACHES. As far as the future of KU football is concerned Weis is a pro coach as is Campo and it doesnt matter how many rings they both have pro coaches cannot coach no talent college kids. I've been a KU sports fan for 50 years but the coaching and players KU has had the last 3 years is the worst ever!! I'm going to go right on cheering my a-- off for the Hawks year in year out but man this hurts. Like I said I REALLY EXPECTED MORE!!!!!

Randy Bombardier 2 years, 2 months ago

Well, I agree with one thing you said, but only one. I am really tired of people trashing our athletes. I don't think you're a KU fan at all. We have some great athletes and if you've really been paying attention you'd know.

Phoghorn 2 years, 2 months ago

Methinks the Big 12 should go after the University of Maine because they have a cool fight song.

corysims 2 years, 2 months ago

I went to the SDSU game, and wrote about it for my site, http://collegevisits.org/. You can read my post about KU and Lawrence at http://collegevisits.org/?p=66. Let me know what you think in the comments.

Phoghorn 2 years, 2 months ago

Does this not violate terms of service?

HAWKS1 2 years, 2 months ago

I have one suggestion for Dayne Crist. If you are going to throw the ball.....THROW the ball!! Be confident in your receivers and get the ball to them as hard as you can in the sitution. You are throwing tentative and messing up your timing with the receivers and the tempo you have at practice. imho

Aaron Carpenter 2 years, 2 months ago

Jesus people it has been 2 games….lighten up. I know everyone can be a arm chair coach these days and are able to post freely but it's getting kind of ridiculous. Has Christ has 2 amazing games like we hoped he maybe would, no. Is there any chance that the kid is possibly getting back into the swing of game speed and adapting to a new team/receiving core, YES! You all are wearing me out with this garbage.

Tony Bandle 2 years, 2 months ago

• The headline should read, "Crist aims to hit teammates in the hands."
  • KU should have a "Blow-Up Doll Giveaway" game...that should fill the stands.
  • Paint the track green, call it grass...problem solved.
  • Thank God, Anthony McDonald,s first name isn't RONALD.
  • Mizzou would be better off wearing tiger suits than those crappy duds they have now.

nuleafjhawk 2 years, 2 months ago

Oakville - I'm way too stupid to figure this out for myself - is there any chance that you could divulge how you get the little "bullets" to show up? That makes things look so much more neat. Thanks.

Tony Bandle 2 years, 2 months ago

Hit Shift and press the 8 key...if you look real close. it's an apostrophe.

Kind of sounds like Sesame Street! :)

Tony Bandle 2 years, 2 months ago

Actually it's the star key, but apostrophe was a better rhyme!!

nuleafjhawk 2 years, 2 months ago

Oakville & AtlJay - thank you both very much!

Auzhawk 2 years, 2 months ago

Crist just needs to relax a little, and work with his recivers. Just a thought next year shoud be good with Heaps and McCay being able to work together this year. Plus we get Simms back in 1 more week

troutsee 2 years, 2 months ago

One can be a KU fan and also be realistic. From what I have seen so far, I am not impressed. Remember, even though we won the first game, it was far from a convincing win. The QB play simply has to improve or we will not win another game this season.

Terry N Tom Denner 2 years, 2 months ago

Plus try and tell the KU Student section to stay and cheer instead of leaving a half time regardless who is ahead. The Student Body are a BUNCH OF PATHETIC MORONS !!!

Terry N Tom Denner 2 years, 2 months ago

The Hawks has two running backs that can set up the play action pass to the level of controlling the tempo of the game. Pound the ball up the middle with success and quick slants across the middle for 7 to 10 yards and the Hawks will walk away with a BIG WIN !!! Play smart and have fun.

KGphoto 2 years, 2 months ago

Which reminds me of that awful flea-flicker against Rice, where A-Slam got destroyed at the right guard spot and Crist never saw the guy coming. Too bad, because it looked like Pick had broken free. I'll be comfortable with those plays when Crist and the Oline are comfortable running them.

beebe1 2 years, 2 months ago

Forget about the track! Have you ever sat in the front row?

Personally, I wouldn't take them as a gift -- not even on the 50 yd. line!

We moved up to about row 20. Great seats. Not as good as a first class TV Program, but one could see the lineups, and defense positions.

That's all malarkey, about improving yhe field. Sell those cheap, worthless seats to the gripers. I'd rather be where one can see the game.

kureader 2 years, 2 months ago

I'm guessing that if they remove the track, they'll resolve all types of other issues, including the elevation of the 1st row in relation to the field. I don't think it's the #1 issue facing our football program, but I see why others want the track removed. For those who don't like the track, the question is: would you help pay to remove it? This is most likely a 200 million dollar fix, because it won't be done without a bunch of other changes to the stadium, the most significant of which will be the reconfiguration of seating (making the seats deeper) ... at the end of the day, the seating capacity won't change. We're gonna get a stadium renovation .... the track will be removed ... but it's not as simple as some people think. And, it requires that a new home be established BEFOREHAND for the track. No one has a timeline, because they haven't yet determined the scope of work to be done, but I predict we'll have a renovated stadium by 2015 or 2016. It couldn't possibly be done before 2015.