Sunday, September 9, 2012

KU football plans to bounce back

Kansas players Jimmay Mundine (41) Michael Reynolds (55) and Greg Brown (5) sing the Alma Mater to the student section following their 25-24 loss to Rice on Saturday, Sept. 8, 2012 at Memorial Stadium.

When a team comes up short in 27 of its last 33 games, losses have a way of becoming a little too familiar.

And while that may have been true for the bulk of Kansas University’s football roster during the past couple of seasons, the Jayhawks insist they’re a different team under first-year coach Charlie Weis, and that’s why they don’t expect to let Saturday’s 25-24 home loss to Rice send them into a downward spiral.

“Nobody likes losing,” senior cornerback Greg Brown said. “We’ve been on the losing side quite often. But I feel like we have a positive mind-set about this season. I can see it in everybody’s eyes.”

The way Weis painted it after Saturday’s game, the Jayhawks (1-1) have two options. They can work hard to bounce back and get better, or they can feel sorry for themselves and get worse. KU’s leaders are betting on the former, and next week’s opponent — nationally ranked perennial powerhouse TCU at Memorial Stadium — demands it.

“We don’t have time to sit around and mope,” said quarterback Dayne Crist, who had a second straight sub-par outing against Rice. “We’ve gotta move forward and get ready for TCU. That’s the most important thing right now.”

Las Vegas oddsmakers have pegged TCU as a 26.5-point favorite over the Jayhawks. Add to that the fact that the Horned Frogs figure to be fired up for their first ever Big 12 Conference game and are coming off a 56-0 romp over Grambling State in their season opener, and it’s obvious that, if they hope to compete, the Jayhawks will have to be much sharper in Week 3.

Weis expects his team to answer the bell.

“All those factors will help get their attention in a hurry,” Weis said. “My job will be to get everybody out of the tank. Hey, it’s easy to walk around after you’ve won a game. Everyone’s telling you how great you are, congratulations. When you lose, it’s not so easy. It’s much more difficult.”

Sunday night, Weis said he saw several positive signs of progress during that afternoon’s practice.

“When you practice, that’s usually what does it,” Weis said of moving past a loss. “They were flying around really good. It was very competitive, and I think that’s the easiest way to get ’em going again.”

Following Saturday’s loss, Weis held the same demeanor he had throughout most of the preseason — calm, realistic, honest. Heck, he even cracked a couple of jokes during the postgame news conference. The reason? Weis understood he was walking into a tough situation when he took the job at Kansas. He might not have expected to lose Saturday, but he knew there would be growing pains.

Weis said the blame for the loss trickled down throughout the entire team. But it started with him.

“If you’re in my seat, you better sit there and be accountable yourself,” Weis said. “The bottom line is, everyone better accept their accountability, otherwise you’re never gonna make strides. You’re always just gonna be just OK at best.”

Injury updates

Weis received some good news regarding his team’s injury report Sunday. Only linebacker Prinz Kande appears to be in jeopardy of missing this week’s game against TCU.

While a couple of other Jayhawks nursed minor injuries during Saturday’s loss, Kande was one of three players who had to be helped off the field, joining senior safety Lubbock Smith and senior wide receiver Kale Pick.

“Pick actually was way better than we thought he would be,” Weis said. “The guy that’s most likely out is Kande. I think all those other guys have a chance to play.”

Crist coming along?

Weis’ review of the game film revealed that Crist shed a little more rust Saturday.

“He was much more in tune with where we were going with the ball this game,” Weis said.

But that did not mean Weis thought Crist’s performance was where it needed to be.

“Once again, there were a handful of throws in the game where I would expect a complete pass,” Weis said. “When the quarterback is not under duress, and the receiver has some kind of separation, I expect a completion, whether it’s five yards down the field or 25 yards down the field.”

Weis said KU’s receivers got separation at times and struggled at others, but, overall, he thought they did enough for the KU offense to flow.

“Moving the ball wasn’t the issue,” Weis said. “Finishing drives, that was the issue.”

Comments

machinegun 1 year, 7 months ago

Misery loves company and the naysayers are never happy for long. The team loses by one point and the "Rump Congress" wants somebody's head on a plate.

Coach Charlie Weis and his staff are going to deliver a winning program. We take this one game at a time and, who knows, we could get right back on track. The future is bright because of Charlie Weis!

1timbob 1 year, 7 months ago

KU's doing fine. Guys it could be worse, we could be Penn St.

jayhawkfanall12 1 year, 7 months ago

UGH I HATE THE WAY THESE COACHES DO THESE KIDS WHO ACTUALLY HAVE TALENT FOR PEOPLE THE PEOPLE THEY WANT TO PRAISE!!!!!

TheSportsDon 1 year, 7 months ago

No need to over-react. We lost. Should of, could of, would of....Any KU fan that is more than just a casual fan is disappointed. We fans need to look for improvement in the team, not just the record, although you 'play to win the game.' I get that. We just don't have the players. I have no idea how Snyder does it at KSU. I watch games on the tube and some of these teams have grown men out there. If combined, I am not sure KU, ISU, and KSU could beat the top tier teams in the land. I see Alabama and USCand a few others with all those four and five star players and wonder in amazement how we were ever ranked number 2 in the nation under Mangino. This is going to take some time to build. I really don't like saying that, as it has been a building/rebuilding project for Jayhawk football most of my life! I hope Charlie hangs around. I hope he is making the right decisions. I hope he can recruit. I hope every Saturday.

Jeffery Barrett 1 year, 7 months ago

I just have one question, and yes I played football, Why can't the players have this kind of attitude DURING the game?

Randy Bombardier 1 year, 7 months ago

I was one of those 6win guys. What I wasn't counting on was this being a "Crist or Bust" team. I do not like the idea that our fortunes are tied to his. In fact, I resent that. So, if the third time is not a charm, time to move on. I also resent giving the game away when we are averaging over 5 yards per carry on the ground. I wasn't counting on coaching loosing us games anymore. I was wrong. Hopefully in his weekly meeting with the AD Weiss will admit he made a mistake in getting away from the running game. I worry that he will not admit that.

I understand he has his direction he is going in, but sometimes you have to be prudent and get away from your plan and play the hand your dealt.

OakvilleJaybateNightmare 1 year, 7 months ago

If you don't think the product on the field is much better this year than it was last year, you're either a Gill lover or you're just ignorant.

People, we GAVE this game away. We were clearly a better team than Rice and that is what is really important. Obviously, we wanted the win but again, at this point, its not that big of a deal. The coaches, players, fans and recruits all know that KU has made a solid improvement from last year.

KMathis 1 year, 7 months ago

What I would like to know... is where are the people who were ALL OVER the KU message boards prior to Week 1 kickoff... touting our much improved defense and how we were going to win 6+ games and go to a bowl. Kman_blue... where are you? We have more talent than 50% of the BCS schools, right? CharlesLogan... we're going to beat TCU right? I've included your dubious posts in case you have forgotten:

From Kman_blue:

"strength" - Holsopple says check "endurance" - Holsopple also says check "talent" - we've got three 4 star guys, 5 borderline 4 star guys 2 of whom were former Nebraska commitments, 1 who chose KU over Florida and about a dozen other BCS schools, and another 1 who chose KU over teams like Wisconsin, Nebraska, Texas A&M, T-Tech etc. and another couple of 3 star guys who had offers from teams like Okie St., TCU, West Virginia, and Arkansas all currently on the 2-deep on D. I'd say "check" for talent level as well. Sure, it could always be better, but I'd say it's better than the majority of other BCS schools. potential - We've got 3 newcomers, 4 Sophomore, and 5 Freshman on the current 2-deep on D also, so again I'd say "check" on the potential talent as several of these guys were the highly recruited guys I mentioned in the "talent" part. In short, yes, I think bad coaching and bad defensive schemes (i.e. last year) can make a D look a ton worse than the talent on that D really is

From CharlesLogan:

I agree with DaBellaDaBall. If KU has an actual defense, and Crist produces as advertised. KANSAS should beat TCU. At home no less..... The Jayhawks should....(I SAY SHOULD) gather strength from a sold out home crowd and defend their home field. I haven't read this arguement.....Maybe I missed it somewhere, but last year KU beat Northern Illinois, witch was trying to scratch into the top 20 last season. KU had Texas Tech wayyyy down, They had R.G.3 and Baylor down, and they gave away the game to Iowa State.... If Kansas is improved this season...... Those games should become wins this year!!!! KU (If the offense would have produced) should have beaten Oklahoma Last year, but I don't see the Sooners handing the Jayhaks a game in Norman like they did in Lawrence last year. If our offense is better than last year we should have no problem scoring (if everyone stays healthy) Our defense is the key....everyone knows that. If we can stop a pass on 3rd and 24........ sound silly, but our last 2 seasons we couldn't even stop that!!!!

Tony Bandle 1 year, 7 months ago

With the first two games over, let's look at the schedule:

• TCU - chance to win, 30%
  • @ N.Illinios - chance to win, 50%
  • @ K-State - chance to win, 25%
  • Okie State - chance to win, 30%
  • @ OU - chance to win, 10%
  • Texas - chance to win, 20%
  • @ Baylor - chance to win, 35%
  • @ Texas Tech - chance to win, 40%
  • Iowa State - chance to win, 50%
  • @ West Virginia - chance to win, 5%

I have to agree with an earlier poster in that we will not be favored in any game from here on out, but I do think we have some shots at victories.

[I was going to list "chances to be blown out", but that got to be too depressing.]

iamakufan 1 year, 7 months ago

A couple of "don't forgets" ...

Glen Mason's first year record - 1-10

Mark Mangino's first year record - 2-10

A turnaround is not instant. But we're on the way. More slowly than I'd like, but on the way.

ohjayhawk 1 year, 7 months ago

Displayhawk... We tried a 52 yard field goal with our punter because our punter is also our 1st string place kicker.

Displayhawk 1 year, 7 months ago

I was disappointed with this loss because the coaching staff made the most mistakes. I agree Rice was a good team, but we gave this game away. Why did we try a 52 yard field goal with our punter? I have no problem trying the shorter field goal later, the kid just missed it, but a 52-yarder with our punter doesn't sound like a good calculated risk. And we kept trying to run against a stacked defense keying on the run. Tony Pierson was obviously the fastest guy on the field, so isn't there a play or two in our playbook to have him catch a screen pass, or an inside screen pass where he can get into open space, or have the defense try to cover him with a linebacker? I saw more offensive variety from the Mildcats.

jhawkrulz 1 year, 7 months ago

I was one of the ones dreaming of a bowl game...but realized that it might be far from happening; however, I don't see the wheels falling off.

1) Rice is way better than people think they are. 2) Rice spotted UCLA on the road 19 points before making a run and losing late in the 4th Qtr. 3) UCLA just beat Nebraska 4) We will surprise a ranked team this year (of course that would be beating any Big XII team this year, seems like all but KU and TTU are ranked)--ISU might slip in this week.

Eliott Reeder 1 year, 7 months ago

Mid-season? Why not plug Cummings in next Saturday to see what he can do? I know Crist and Weis have had a long love-affair with one another but if Crist isn't producing... give Cummings a chance! Why not?

Doug Cramer 1 year, 7 months ago

With the lack of talent we have on this team compared to other Big 12 teams...this thing will not get turned around this year. The Big 12 schedule will hammer us...especially defensively.

Ahperse - what has me concerned about the future...many of us thought Weis and his staff would have some serious pull when it came to recruiting. I'm not so sure thats the case.

Our 2013 class is behind big time...especially with respect to other BCS schools. Yes I know it's early...but the early trend is very concerning.

If this 2013 class doesn't pan out...and we only win a couple games this year...how long will Weis and Campo stick around ? ? ?

Also - if we get midway through the season...and we only have 1 win...whats the point in playing Crist ? Weis talks about Micheal Cumming's arm strength and his ability to pass. Does he give Micheal Cummings some experience...to enable him to compete against Heaps next season ?

This whole thing could get interesting by mid season.

ahpersecoachingexperience 1 year, 7 months ago

As the first on to say "fire turner" let me be the first to say "we'll be ok." Charlie and this staff knows what they are doing and will get this thing turned around in the future.

KCCO from Ahperse

Kansas1241 1 year, 7 months ago

Plans to bounce back? Ha yeah right...Savannah St. could put up a fight against us at this point.