Sunday, September 9, 2012

KU football plans to bounce back

Kansas players Jimmay Mundine (41) Michael Reynolds (55) and Greg Brown (5) sing the Alma Mater to the student section following their 25-24 loss to Rice on Saturday, Sept. 8, 2012 at Memorial Stadium.

When a team comes up short in 27 of its last 33 games, losses have a way of becoming a little too familiar.

And while that may have been true for the bulk of Kansas University’s football roster during the past couple of seasons, the Jayhawks insist they’re a different team under first-year coach Charlie Weis, and that’s why they don’t expect to let Saturday’s 25-24 home loss to Rice send them into a downward spiral.

“Nobody likes losing,” senior cornerback Greg Brown said. “We’ve been on the losing side quite often. But I feel like we have a positive mind-set about this season. I can see it in everybody’s eyes.”

The way Weis painted it after Saturday’s game, the Jayhawks (1-1) have two options. They can work hard to bounce back and get better, or they can feel sorry for themselves and get worse. KU’s leaders are betting on the former, and next week’s opponent — nationally ranked perennial powerhouse TCU at Memorial Stadium — demands it.

“We don’t have time to sit around and mope,” said quarterback Dayne Crist, who had a second straight sub-par outing against Rice. “We’ve gotta move forward and get ready for TCU. That’s the most important thing right now.”

Las Vegas oddsmakers have pegged TCU as a 26.5-point favorite over the Jayhawks. Add to that the fact that the Horned Frogs figure to be fired up for their first ever Big 12 Conference game and are coming off a 56-0 romp over Grambling State in their season opener, and it’s obvious that, if they hope to compete, the Jayhawks will have to be much sharper in Week 3.

Weis expects his team to answer the bell.

“All those factors will help get their attention in a hurry,” Weis said. “My job will be to get everybody out of the tank. Hey, it’s easy to walk around after you’ve won a game. Everyone’s telling you how great you are, congratulations. When you lose, it’s not so easy. It’s much more difficult.”

Sunday night, Weis said he saw several positive signs of progress during that afternoon’s practice.

“When you practice, that’s usually what does it,” Weis said of moving past a loss. “They were flying around really good. It was very competitive, and I think that’s the easiest way to get ’em going again.”

Following Saturday’s loss, Weis held the same demeanor he had throughout most of the preseason — calm, realistic, honest. Heck, he even cracked a couple of jokes during the postgame news conference. The reason? Weis understood he was walking into a tough situation when he took the job at Kansas. He might not have expected to lose Saturday, but he knew there would be growing pains.

Weis said the blame for the loss trickled down throughout the entire team. But it started with him.

“If you’re in my seat, you better sit there and be accountable yourself,” Weis said. “The bottom line is, everyone better accept their accountability, otherwise you’re never gonna make strides. You’re always just gonna be just OK at best.”

Injury updates

Weis received some good news regarding his team’s injury report Sunday. Only linebacker Prinz Kande appears to be in jeopardy of missing this week’s game against TCU.

While a couple of other Jayhawks nursed minor injuries during Saturday’s loss, Kande was one of three players who had to be helped off the field, joining senior safety Lubbock Smith and senior wide receiver Kale Pick.

“Pick actually was way better than we thought he would be,” Weis said. “The guy that’s most likely out is Kande. I think all those other guys have a chance to play.”

Crist coming along?

Weis’ review of the game film revealed that Crist shed a little more rust Saturday.

“He was much more in tune with where we were going with the ball this game,” Weis said.

But that did not mean Weis thought Crist’s performance was where it needed to be.

“Once again, there were a handful of throws in the game where I would expect a complete pass,” Weis said. “When the quarterback is not under duress, and the receiver has some kind of separation, I expect a completion, whether it’s five yards down the field or 25 yards down the field.”

Weis said KU’s receivers got separation at times and struggled at others, but, overall, he thought they did enough for the KU offense to flow.

“Moving the ball wasn’t the issue,” Weis said. “Finishing drives, that was the issue.”

Comments

Kansas1241 1 year, 11 months ago

Plans to bounce back? Ha yeah right...Savannah St. could put up a fight against us at this point.

Bangkok_Jayhawk 1 year, 11 months ago

Do you REALLY believe that? Rice is not that bad of a team and we are certainly better than Savannah St. I agree that we needed to sweep non conference and steal a game or two in the Big 12 to make things exciting this year, but this team can still rattle off a couple victories, play better, and build for the future.

JakeBarnes 1 year, 11 months ago

The point spread is much too high. KU will give TCU a game. I think a two touchdown difference, but I also hope a two point KU victory.

Most importantly we will see how good a coach Charlie is. If he has them ready and they play hard we will know that the future will be bright. I think he is.

ahpersecoachingexperience 1 year, 11 months ago

As the first on to say "fire turner" let me be the first to say "we'll be ok." Charlie and this staff knows what they are doing and will get this thing turned around in the future.

KCCO from Ahperse

741hawk 1 year, 11 months ago

Wow! And, I agree . . . at least to the point that we have too many experienced, qualified coaches not to give them plenty of time. In the end, I think it will be recruiting that will be the deciding factor long-term.

jhox 1 year, 11 months ago

I agree with both Ahperse and 741hawk. We're going in the right direction, but this will take time, and recruiting will be key. On the issue of recruiting, I sure wouldn't want to be our coaching staff, trying to sell our program to recruits when half of the stadium clears out and doesn't return after half time. As long as KU fans view football as nothing more than an excuse to have a bit tailgate party, coaches will struggle to bring in the kind of players needed to win at this level. As long as the players are playing hard (and they were Saturday) we as fans need to be in the stadium supporting them.

I'm all for having a good time in the parking lot, but don't understand why we can't do that before and after games, not during them.

NebraskaJayhawk 1 year, 11 months ago

I agree with you, Ahperse. The problem I see, and I've been saying it for a while now, is that in order to recruit you have to show some signs of progress to the recruits. If we end up with a 1 or 2 win season...I don't think this bodes well for Weis and company. Like I've been saying, we need 5-6 wins this season to get a decent recruiting class in. This loss was kinda big in my opinion, but I do think this team will improve as the season goes along. Hopefully we can still win 4-5 games.

texashawk10 1 year, 11 months ago

You want a sign of progress from Saturday, here it is. KU's defense forced Rice into attempting 4 field goals, do think they were capable of that the past two seasons? Odds are if it were the past 2 seasons, those 4 FG's end up being at least 3 TD's and KU loses by double digits. That's a very real sign of progress from the defense this year.

99yard_run 1 year, 11 months ago

"we'll be okay" = the beginning of the end of Apherse.

Aph - your prediction of Gill took zero insight (so don't pat yourself on the back too much). Saying "we'll be okay" at this point you've just comitted message board suicide.....

Ryan Shelton 1 year, 11 months ago

For the first time ever, I find myself agreeing with aperse. He is right. Those saying that the sky is falling are extremely short-sighted. Coach Weis didn't lie to us. He said it would take time to turn it around, but it started with being competative. I realize Rice upset us, but consider these opinions: 1. We are getting turnovers on defense. So much of this comes from better DL play. We win the trenches, we win the game. 2. Our running game to this point has been unstoppable. Credit our dynamic backs, but give due credit to our OL. We win the trenches, we win the game. 3. Early season will equate to mistakes. We have had plenty. Let's give the coaching staff a chance to see if we can limit those mistakes the further along we get.

Doug Cramer 1 year, 11 months ago

With the lack of talent we have on this team compared to other Big 12 teams...this thing will not get turned around this year. The Big 12 schedule will hammer us...especially defensively.

Ahperse - what has me concerned about the future...many of us thought Weis and his staff would have some serious pull when it came to recruiting. I'm not so sure thats the case.

Our 2013 class is behind big time...especially with respect to other BCS schools. Yes I know it's early...but the early trend is very concerning.

If this 2013 class doesn't pan out...and we only win a couple games this year...how long will Weis and Campo stick around ? ? ?

Also - if we get midway through the season...and we only have 1 win...whats the point in playing Crist ? Weis talks about Micheal Cumming's arm strength and his ability to pass. Does he give Micheal Cummings some experience...to enable him to compete against Heaps next season ?

This whole thing could get interesting by mid season.

Eliott Reeder 1 year, 11 months ago

Mid-season? Why not plug Cummings in next Saturday to see what he can do? I know Crist and Weis have had a long love-affair with one another but if Crist isn't producing... give Cummings a chance! Why not?

Dirk Medema 1 year, 11 months ago

Because: 1. it is only week 2. 2. Dayne's completion % has improved. 3. a completion takes players on both ends of the pass. 4. CW knows best.

jhawkrulz 1 year, 11 months ago

I was one of the ones dreaming of a bowl game...but realized that it might be far from happening; however, I don't see the wheels falling off.

1) Rice is way better than people think they are. 2) Rice spotted UCLA on the road 19 points before making a run and losing late in the 4th Qtr. 3) UCLA just beat Nebraska 4) We will surprise a ranked team this year (of course that would be beating any Big XII team this year, seems like all but KU and TTU are ranked)--ISU might slip in this week.

akgjenkintown 1 year, 11 months ago

A true optimist. Three wins and competitive games at this point would be a successful season. Gill left the cupboard bare and it takes time to recruit the talent Weiss needs to compete in the Big XII. The hype of Weiss and Crist served the University well by getting the home crowd out early for non-conference games, but the home to visitor fan ratio will begin to slip. I thought prior to the season that it would be tough to improve on last year's record, and it looks to be shaping up to be 2-10 again.

Mike Plank 1 year, 11 months ago

Rice is NOT a good football team. 1. In the last three years, Rice has lost to UAB, Tulane, and Marshall. 2. In those last three years, they have won 2, 4, and 4 games. 3. This was their first win over a Big 12 team since the formation of the conference.

This is a BAD football team we just lost to. This is embarrassing, and we should be upset about it. We should not lose to Rice... ever. Except in baseball. But we have to face it... they are better than we are. And that thought just makes me mad, because that should NEVER be the case.

Lucas Town 1 year, 11 months ago

I agree 100% we should be very upset with this loss. I was targeting 3 to 4 wins this year, but who are we going to surprise and find a W against? N. Illinois on the road? I doubt it, Iowa St. defense will be strong enough to slow down our offense, and our defense isn't going to stop anyone. I think we saw the only win for the year last week against South Dakota St. I hate to admit it but this season just got real depressing, there will be no competitive football this year.

Lucas Town 1 year, 11 months ago

Rice has won 2, 4 and 4 games in the last three years. That makes 10. KU has won 5, 3 and 2 games in the last three years. That makes 10. Look at the trend, they are a better football team than we are.

Mike Plank 1 year, 11 months ago

The level of competetion for the two schools is drastically different. Going 4-8 vs UAB and Marshall and etc is way different than going 3-9 or 2-10 in the Big 12. They're both bad teams. Ours is worse, and it shouldn't be. There's no reason for it to be. The facilities, the coaching, even the players. We should have won that game by three touchdowns.

JakeBarnes 1 year, 11 months ago

Wrong. Rice is playing football this year, not last year or two years ago.

Lance Cheney 1 year, 11 months ago

mikeville-

by that logic (looking at the last 3 years), WE are a terrible football team, and this is not an upset. It was to be expected, considering we had pretty much the worst offense AND defense in the nation (the last 3 years). I don't think it's time to call for Weis's head just yet, 2 games into his tenure. Someone help me out here - I'm too lazy to do the research (I'm half asleep right now), but how did Mangino do in his first 2 games of his career? I would be surprised if he went 2-0, but then again, it is possible, because he didn't have to try to put the pin back into the Turner Gill grenade (that had unfortunately already blew up...). And in regards to the lamenting of Mangino's firing: he's not coming back. Ever. So move on.

Dirk Medema 1 year, 11 months ago

Not sure about first 2 games, but he was 2-10 (0-8) in year one, which was worse than the record of his bad predecessor.

Displayhawk 1 year, 11 months ago

I was disappointed with this loss because the coaching staff made the most mistakes. I agree Rice was a good team, but we gave this game away. Why did we try a 52 yard field goal with our punter? I have no problem trying the shorter field goal later, the kid just missed it, but a 52-yarder with our punter doesn't sound like a good calculated risk. And we kept trying to run against a stacked defense keying on the run. Tony Pierson was obviously the fastest guy on the field, so isn't there a play or two in our playbook to have him catch a screen pass, or an inside screen pass where he can get into open space, or have the defense try to cover him with a linebacker? I saw more offensive variety from the Mildcats.

Randy Bombardier 1 year, 11 months ago

Agreed. The Coach gave this game away in many ways. Bad play calling. We were virtually running at will yet Weiss is so into Crist that we spend way too many plays for Crist to practice being a quarterback. Yeah, from the little I've seen, he is poised, but that's it. Maybe grad school is too hard for him at KU and therefore he is not spending the time on film like he should. Whatever, Weiss needs to decide if he is here for KU or for Crist. If he (Crist) doesn't get it together next game he needs to be pulled. Give Cummings and Baty looks.

troutsee 1 year, 11 months ago

On our last possession we ran the ball for a 5 yd loss.

ohjayhawk 1 year, 11 months ago

Displayhawk... We tried a 52 yard field goal with our punter because our punter is also our 1st string place kicker.

Brak 1 year, 11 months ago

So you thought our "1st string place kicker" had a chance to make a 52 yd kick? If you did you haven't been following Jayhawk Football too hard. He is struggling with 25 yd field goals so just because he is 1st string doesn't mean he is a decent kicker.

ohjayhawk 1 year, 11 months ago

That's not what I said at all. My comment was to Displyhawk who was questioning why we were using the punter for a 52 yard field goal. My point was, the punter would've been the one trying the field goal whether it was from 52 yards or 25 yards.

Displayhawk 1 year, 11 months ago

But you missed my point ohjay. I was fully aware that our punter was our 1rst string kicker, and if you read my original post you will see that I didn't have a problem trying a 25 yard field goal with said punter/kicker, but why are we even trying a 52-yard field goal when he struggles from 25 yards??? It just wasn't a good calculated risk IMHO. If a kicker the caliber of Rice's was on our team, then by all means, take a shot from 52 yards.

Dirk Medema 1 year, 11 months ago

And therein lies the difference in this game: Rice has a Lou Groza candidate, and we have a punter trying to fill the void left by a kicker who fled the team late in the offseason.

Wasn't it Mike Leach who had student tryouts at TTU a few years ago, and the guy who won the job made a game winner his first game in uniform?

ohjayhawk 1 year, 11 months ago

I did totally miss your point. Sorry about that. I get what you are saying now, and I completely agree with you.

Steve Reigle 1 year, 11 months ago

A couple of "don't forgets" ...

Glen Mason's first year record - 1-10

Mark Mangino's first year record - 2-10

A turnaround is not instant. But we're on the way. More slowly than I'd like, but on the way.

Cameron Cederlind 1 year, 11 months ago

Mangino's first year:

at Iowa State L 3-45

at UNLV L 10-24

SW Missouri State W 44-24

Bowling Green L 16-39

at Tulsa W 43-33

at Baylor L 32-35

Colorado L 29-53

Texas A&M L 22-47

at Missouri L 12-36

Kansas State L 0-64

at Nebraska L 7-45

Oklahoma State L 20-55

That's a pretty horrible first season from a guy that most people on the boards seem to praise as the greatest. It takes time to clean up large messes, and we've got quite the pile. We have one of the top coaching staffs out there, just need to be patient.

Lance Cheney 1 year, 11 months ago

Oh good, you did post Mangino's first year record. I was asking about it in an above post. I wonder how many people were calling for his firing after starting 0-2, saying he's in over his head?

Cameron Cederlind 1 year, 11 months ago

Not just that but going 0-8 in the Big 12 and laying an egg against KState, losing 0-64. I'd love to see some posts on this board (if it existed) from that season

Fototherapist 1 year, 11 months ago

I think you're right. I think Weis is very comparable to the likes of Mason and Mangino. Give it some more time and he'll turn this program around. The question then becomes (and this is way down the road) how can KU continue to have a strong program when our strongest leaders leave?

vd 1 year, 11 months ago

What was Gill's first year record?

Tony Bandle 1 year, 11 months ago

With the first two games over, let's look at the schedule:

• TCU - chance to win, 30%
  • @ N.Illinios - chance to win, 50%
  • @ K-State - chance to win, 25%
  • Okie State - chance to win, 30%
  • @ OU - chance to win, 10%
  • Texas - chance to win, 20%
  • @ Baylor - chance to win, 35%
  • @ Texas Tech - chance to win, 40%
  • Iowa State - chance to win, 50%
  • @ West Virginia - chance to win, 5%

I have to agree with an earlier poster in that we will not be favored in any game from here on out, but I do think we have some shots at victories.

[I was going to list "chances to be blown out", but that got to be too depressing.]

Randy Bombardier 1 year, 11 months ago

I wouldn't put odds on a game until I see us actually play a complete game or we finally decide we are a running team, adopt a Snyderball strategy and seek to possess our way to a win, slug it out in the trenches. At least that strategy creates a line that is dominant the next year. For two years prior to this year (Daniel Thomas, then Collin Klein and Hubert) K-state's strategy was to run first and keep the opposing offense off the field. The momentum that strategy created is a dominant Oline. I like that plan. We need to build for the future and have great running backs. If Dayne has another clunker I just hope we either relieve him or settle into a run-first Offense the rest of the season.

texashawk10 1 year, 11 months ago

I think there's a chance KU could be favored against Iowa St. but a lot of that depends on how ISU's season goes as well. They're 2-0 now, but have been far from impressive looking so far.

troutsee 1 year, 11 months ago

Get real. Not a chance for us to be favored in any game remaining on our schedule. We need better play out of the QB position and I don't see that coming.

texashawk10 1 year, 11 months ago

Did I guarantee KU would be favored against ISU? No. I said KU COULD be favored in that game if ISU is a crap team as well. Let's say KU wins another game somewhere along the line before then and enters the ISU game at 2-8 and ISU enters at 4-6 or possibly 3-7 on either a 6 or 7 game losing streak (very possible given their schedule), I would not be at all surprised to see KU as a very small favorite since the game this year is in Lawrence. If the game was in Ames, I would agree that KU would be an underdog in the rest, but when you get two crappy teams meeting in mid-November with bad records, the home team is usually a small favorite which in this case happens to be KU.

Dirk Medema 1 year, 11 months ago

Not impressed with the 1st win in Iowa City in a decade? Wow!

Lance Cheney 1 year, 11 months ago

As much as I hate to say it, I would say that the chance to win the K-State game is more like 5%. They don't make many mistakes and are looking pretty good. I can't wait until Klein is gone next year, they will be mediocre at best.

Dirk Medema 1 year, 11 months ago

Grampa returns. They'll be fine, but you are right about the odds.

Brak 1 year, 11 months ago

Wow how sad is your life that you had to go back and find a few quotes that don't even say what you are trying to make them out to say just to make yourself feel better because you are more than likely a fan of another school and take pride in "rubbing it in". Yea we have some talent and yea if they played up to that talent we would be much better off, but they aren't and it's showing.

Phoggin_Loud 1 year, 11 months ago

To answer your question, we are ALL still here!! Are we disappointed? Sure! Are we giving up on this team and coaching staff? HELL NO!!!! Go "Hawks!! Beat TCU!!!

Dirk Medema 1 year, 11 months ago

You might add, "Are we using profanity to call others names?" Glad you stepped up also. I wascalling for Pinstripes. While that has pretty much flamed at this point, I do get more excited everytime I hear CW. It's not the raw-raw stuff, but rather the fact that he has a level headed analysis of the game and what it takes to build a program. Ithink if we go back and listen to the presser from last week, we'll basically hear him telling us how it would be this week (after winning close vs. losing close).

Phoggin_Loud 1 year, 11 months ago

I am still not giving up. KU missed 2 field goals that could/should have won the game. That will even out this season. I know it sounds crazy, but I still think they can beat TCU this week and N. Illinois next week. This loss may draw this team together and be a spring-board for the rest of this season.

kureader 1 year, 11 months ago

Wouldn't a better question be, "Why are YOU here"?

Dirk Medema 1 year, 11 months ago

It seems that maybe you meant, "With that attitude, would you just go away?" I tell my 4 yo that she needs to go to her room and look for a new attitude, cause the one she has is not good.

Can we send KM to his room?

Randy Bombardier 1 year, 11 months ago

I was one of those 6win guys. What I wasn't counting on was this being a "Crist or Bust" team. I do not like the idea that our fortunes are tied to his. In fact, I resent that. So, if the third time is not a charm, time to move on. I also resent giving the game away when we are averaging over 5 yards per carry on the ground. I wasn't counting on coaching loosing us games anymore. I was wrong. Hopefully in his weekly meeting with the AD Weiss will admit he made a mistake in getting away from the running game. I worry that he will not admit that.

I understand he has his direction he is going in, but sometimes you have to be prudent and get away from your plan and play the hand your dealt.

Dirk Medema 1 year, 11 months ago

We averaged 2 ypc in the 4th qrtr. That sort of production doesn't win many games.

Jeffery Barrett 1 year, 11 months ago

I just have one question, and yes I played football, Why can't the players have this kind of attitude DURING the game?

TheSportsDon 1 year, 11 months ago

No need to over-react. We lost. Should of, could of, would of....Any KU fan that is more than just a casual fan is disappointed. We fans need to look for improvement in the team, not just the record, although you 'play to win the game.' I get that. We just don't have the players. I have no idea how Snyder does it at KSU. I watch games on the tube and some of these teams have grown men out there. If combined, I am not sure KU, ISU, and KSU could beat the top tier teams in the land. I see Alabama and USCand a few others with all those four and five star players and wonder in amazement how we were ever ranked number 2 in the nation under Mangino. This is going to take some time to build. I really don't like saying that, as it has been a building/rebuilding project for Jayhawk football most of my life! I hope Charlie hangs around. I hope he is making the right decisions. I hope he can recruit. I hope every Saturday.

jayhawkfanall12 1 year, 11 months ago

UGH I HATE THE WAY THESE COACHES DO THESE KIDS WHO ACTUALLY HAVE TALENT FOR PEOPLE THE PEOPLE THEY WANT TO PRAISE!!!!!

1timbob 1 year, 11 months ago

KU's doing fine. Guys it could be worse, we could be Penn St.

machinegun 1 year, 11 months ago

Misery loves company and the naysayers are never happy for long. The team loses by one point and the "Rump Congress" wants somebody's head on a plate.

Coach Charlie Weis and his staff are going to deliver a winning program. We take this one game at a time and, who knows, we could get right back on track. The future is bright because of Charlie Weis!