Sunday, September 9, 2012

Keegan

Charlie Weis-Dayne Crist duo not so dynamic

Kansas’ Dayne Crist (10) makes adjustments at the line of scrimmage during Kansas’ game against Rice Saturday, Sept. 8, 2012, at Memorial Stadium.

KU-Rice

Box score

Videos

KU coach Charlie Weis postgame: Rice

video thumbnail

KU coach Charlie Weis' postgame comments following his team's 25-24 loss to Rice on Sept. 8, 2012.

Podcast episode

Press Conferences & Post-Game Interviews

KU coach Charlie Weis talks after loss to Rice

KU coach Charlie Weis talks after his team's 25-24 loss to Rice on Sept. 8, 2012.

Download podcast

The quarterback Midas touch of Charlie Weis, blended with his reunion with the five-star quarterback who spent four years at Notre Dame, made for such a natural marketing campaign to put Kansas University football back under bright lights.

Weis knows quarterbacks. Crist knows Weis’ offense. It sounded like as good a fit and as natural a recipe for success, as peanut butter and chocolate.

Two games into Crist’s one season as quarterback of KU’s rebuilding football program, the Weis/Crist air attack hasn’t gotten off the ground.

The failure of the passing game was one of many reasons Rice upset Kansas, 25-24, but that’s the point. The passing game shaped up as the one area that wasn’t going to be a cause for concern.

Two games into the season, Crist has a 51.6 completion percentage, an average gain of 4.9 yards per pass and has thrown two touchdown passes and three interceptions against competition that doesn’t compare to what he will face in the Big 12, starting Saturday when heavily favored TCU makes a visit to Lawrence.

Crist’s final throw set the table for the game-winning field goal with no time left on the clock.

On third-and-8 from the KU 27, Crist heaved a rainbow 26 yards. It was intended for Chris Omigie on the left sideline and caught by Rice’s Bryce Callahan. The air came out of Memorial Stadium. Chris Boswell, one of the best field-goal kickers on the planet, readied his mind for a game-winner that would come from 45 yards after the KU defense couldn’t keep the Owls from getting into Boswell’s extensive range.

Afterward, Weis expressed disappointment with all phases of the game and pointed out he would hold himself accountable and refused to play the public blame game.

Weis planned to wake up at 5 this morning to watch the film, and among the questions he’ll ask himself is what he could have done better. He might even challenge his play-calling during one stretch.

So far, running the football easily qualifies as what the Jayhawks do best, and Rice had difficulty stopping stylistically different backs Tony Pierson and Taylor Cox. With KU leading 24-13 early in the third quarter, Cox moved the chains 22 yards on three consecutive rushes to make it first-and-10 from the Rice 28. The running game wasn’t broken, so this was no time to try to fix the passing game. The next five plays: incompletion, incompletion nullified by holding penalty, five-yard loss on a sack, seven-yard completion, a missed 53-yard field goal on fourth-and-18.

Then again, on the final drive, Kansas ran the ball the first two plays and faced a third-and-8.

Weis didn’t question whether Crist should have made the final throw, saying he didn’t have a problem taking a shot into one-on-one coverage. It was far from Crist’s only misfire. He once had Kale Pick wide-open on the right side of the end zone, a situation that seemed to call for a high ball toward the pylon. He missed in the dirt. Under some heat, Crist overthrew Daymond Patterson open on the left side of the end zone. Crist didn’t look elusive in the pocket or particularly quick with his release.

In his defense, other than tight ends Jimmay Mundine and Mike Ragone, who consistently got open for short passes, Crist didn’t have a wide array of free targets to hit, but he did have decent protection most of the afternoon.

Patterson’s the team’s best receiver, but can only bring his maximum contribution to the team if Weis and Crist can figure out a way to get him the ball in space. It’s not happening enough yet.

After a so-so effort in the Week 1 victory against South Dakota State, Crist said he was disappointed in his play. After the Week 2 upset loss?

“Still disappointed,” he said. “I didn’t make enough plays to win, and at the end of the day that’s the most valued trait in a quarterback, is making enough plays to win, and we didn’t do that today, so naturally I’m upset.”

Crist answered questions about the first and last passes of his day, both interceptions.

The first one, on KU’s second play from scrimmage, came on a trick play. The ball was snapped to running back Tony Pierson, who handed it off to Daymond Patterson, who pitched it to Crist, who was hit as he was delivering the ball, throwing the pass way off course.

“There was some pressure,” Crist said. “I thought I could get it off. I didn’t really see the guy coming.”

His final throw gave Rice the ball with 3:37 left, trailing by two points.

“Initial read wasn’t there, tried to give our guy a chance to move the chains and ultimately run out the clock,” he said. “I didn’t get a chance to see too much. We’ll have a look at it on film and see what went wrong.”

Watching it won’t be easy, but very little about playing college football fits that description anyway, and facing TCU certainly doesn’t.

Comments

bjejayhawk69 1 year, 7 months ago

The Good and Bad of this years team.

Bad - There is a reason why Crist did not play at ND. He is inaccurate and immobile. Not a good combo for a college QB. I think he is a good leader but way too many missed passes and he is a zero threat to run. That fact really hurts in college football.

DB's playing 10-15 yards off the ball. I don't think they have to play bump and run on the line of scrimmage but giving 8-10 yards a pop on 2 step drops give the D line no chance to get any pressure on the QB.

Kicker. Both FG and kick offs. SDSU kicker was nailing it into the end zone and we can barely get it to the goal line. Missed FG help cost the game Saturday.

Good - Running game and O line - getting good pass protection and running the ball well. Receivers have been OK. Crist being inaccurate doesn't help them and Pick being out late in the game hurt.

D line - I think has played pretty well. They get pressure when the secondary actually forces a QB to look for an open receiver vs having his first option already open. If the secondary actually covers it forces the QB to have to scramble a bit and gives the D line a sack possible turnover opportunity.

Punter - been great

Return game and coverage game - been pretty good as well

Linebackers are not overly talented or big and fast but give good effort and are adequate.

Personally the QB and secondary play has been the most disappointing. Some of it is coaching in the secondary and play calling offensively.

hawkrod 1 year, 7 months ago

Even though Crist didn't have a very good game, I don't think he is the blame for the loss. I want to know why KU went away from the running game in the 4th quarter with an 11 point lead? Who does that? Especially the way the two KU backs were pounding the rock! That is why they lost the game in my opinion! We need to give the team some time toget it together. I like Weis and think he will do good things for KU, but it will take time. Mangino didn't do it in his first year. Rock Chalk Jayhawk, Go KU!!!

Fred Whitehead Jr. 1 year, 7 months ago

Hmmmm. I see something here..................

Weis (formerly of Notre Dame)

Crist (formerly of Notre Dame)

Weis (formerly of the KC Dancing Squaws (AKA "Chiefs")

I see a pattern here. (No not "Notre Dame"......... "Formerly")

See ya'll in Norman!

Danny Hernandez 1 year, 7 months ago

With a bunch of Peanus head posters like 99 yard run(wonder how long he's a been a regular poster) running scared and already talking crap, maybe they'll leave and find another program to complain about.

Though other posters have mentioned Saban's, Pinkel's, Snyder's and Mangino's first years as proof that you can't judge a team/coach by their first year especially when Weis didn't have a full year to recruit.

I'm disappointed we lost but still see Kansas winning 5 games this year. I support Kansas football and won't get in the blame game or finding ways to talk crap because I'm not an insecure, less than successful individual as are many of the stupid posters talking negatively.

Grow some ballz Nancy Downers. Gee, you sound like 5 year olds. Plus we don't need you or your act. Take it to Columbia or jump on the Kstate bandwagon

jimjones 1 year, 7 months ago

I blame Obama. We went to the Orange Bowl when Bush was president. Another thing, if they'd gone to be early and said their prayers, they might have done better.

toe 1 year, 7 months ago

On the field and in the laboratories KU has a leadership problem.

James Minor 1 year, 7 months ago

Summation: Conservative plays in the second half, taller receivers not catching the ball and not getting open, QB missing reads, immobile and forcing passes, Offensive Coordinator not realizing Rice has a future pro field goal kicker and not realizing KU doesn't. Hopefully, this will be a wake up call to the coaching staff cause OSU, TCU, NIU and KState, will show them why they should wake up if they don't.

gorilla10 1 year, 7 months ago

I would like to take this time to call out all of the students that are a complete joke to the University of Kansas athletics. Absolutely no support whatsoever for this football team. The game was close and neary 75% of the students left before the 4th quarter. WEAK!!!!! Then you hear them all complainging and whining after the game. KSU MAKE KU STUDENTS LOOK DUMB!!!!!! I'm die hard KU everything but would take the ksu fan base over KU in ANY SPORT, YES I SAID ANY SPORT!!!!!!!! Including basketball because they're all fair weather fans filling up Allen Fieldhouse ONLY becuase KU wins.......The KU students are some of the worst fans in the big12.

NO PRIDE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Casey Gee 1 year, 7 months ago

2 instances of missed tackles on the final defensive stand that would have won the game. Those can be corrected. What has me worried is the way Crist broke down on his final throw. He had all the time in the world to make a good decision. Then he started to feel the pressure and instead of throwing the ball away he tried to force the throw. And the most concerning part of all, he fell down without being touched, like he was afraid of the pressure. He can have all the physical ability in the world, but if he isn't mentally tougher than that, we won't find much success this season.

Kansas1241 1 year, 7 months ago

So many negatives, but one of the biggest is clock management. I love the idea of playing to win instead of just trying not to lose but our last offensive drive was an embarrassment. On the third down play Crist snapped the ball with 32 seconds left on the play clock and 2:20ish left in the game. Whether you're trying to be aggressive or not is one thing but that just can't happen. The second down play the ball was snapped with 21 seconds left on the play clock. Just horrible. Even if Weis didn't tell Dayne to run the play clock down, you would still expect a "5-star QB" to be aware of the situation. If this team wins 2 more games it will be a miracle.

jayhawkfanall12 1 year, 7 months ago

OKAY ENOUGH OF THIS OFFENSE.... WHY THE HECK IS THIS DEFENSE LOOKING THIS WAY? WHAT ABOUT TO TACKLES MISSED AT THE END ETC..... WE ARE SLACKING IN THE LINEBACKER POSITION, OR ARE WE? THESE COACHES ARE CHANGING GUYS AROUND FOR NO REASON!!! EXAMPLE) DARIUS WILLIS, BEST LINEBACKER KU HAS! NOW AT DE? AND THE CURRENT "STARTER" AT LINEBACKER HEENEY IS NOT EVEN AVERAGING 2 TACKLES PER GAME... WILLIS AVERAGED 8 PER GAME LAST SEASON AND IS CLEARLY MORE MENTALLY PREPARED THEN HEENEY OR HULDON. WHAT IS THIS LINEBACKER COACH DOING??????? I DONT COMPREHEND NOT PLAYING YOUR BEST PLAYER AT ALL!!!!!

BACK TO OFFENSE.... WEIS IS CHRIST REALLY SUPPOSE TO BE YOUR SAVIOR? COME ON KU FOOTBALL GET IT TOGETHER!!!

COACHES ESPECIALLY

jumpinjayhawk 1 year, 7 months ago

Wow! I hate to say it, but I can't wait for basketball season, its going to be an ugly year.

Clearly4Kansas 1 year, 7 months ago

Hang in there, Manginos first year was hard too.

1timbob 1 year, 7 months ago

None of you get it. It's an upgrade. When Crist decided to come it's because he was told he would be a starter. If we don't get him we don't get Heaps. This gets more recruits. Charlie is by far the best coach to come to KU in football. Without him we would have nothing. He's the only coach that KU could hire to get big names. I love the pro style offense. I love the huddle and the QB under center. I was so tired of seeing shotgun all the time and all the players looking to the sideline for the play. I love how Crist does Payton like audibles, which means he's a smart QB.

dstnku34 1 year, 7 months ago

I want to give an example of the good to come. I believe it was on the 3rd down play that fell incomplete and led to our field goal that tied the game at 3-3 in the first quarter. Crist received the snap and dropped back not seeing anything unfold. A second later, he met eyes with the Rice safety who had worked forward and around to Crist's visible side for a delayed blitz. Crist saw him clearly and, instead of taking off or throwing it away in panic, knew that had left Patterson (I think) in single coverage down the left side. At the very last moment, he threw a high but catchable ball to the endzone that bounced off the hands of the leaping receiver, and took a shot from an unabated safety. It was incomplete. I'm so sorry. But that, to me, is poise. The kid is a pro.

So two things: 1) it takes more than a QB to complete passes. There were at least 3 plays that Crist had an unusually abundant amount of time to scan, yet receivers were not open. Why? 2) It is tragically unfair to blame a loss by a single point on an inability of 2 men to perform at the level our expectations dictated they should. For example, Boswell made a PAT after the ball ricocheted through the upright, while Doherty missed a FG that ricocheted off the upright. Where is article saying that uprights may not be as good as advertised?

KGphoto 1 year, 7 months ago

It's about making plays, and Crist isn't making them. He would have at least 4 more TDs this year if he was a playmaker. Guys were open. The OL was giving him all day. He could've run for a 1st down on 2 occasions, but threw a bad incompletion. My dead grandmother could make more plays.

The kid looks the part, says the right things and has the backing of one of the best QB coaches in history, but he can't make the plays on the field. He's slow with his reads, he takes too long to release it, he has no instincts, no accuracy, and certainly lacks the "IT" gene.

Michael Cummings or Turner Baty, come on down! If Crist can steal it back from you with a winning desire then fine, but I don't see it happening.

Randy Bombardier 1 year, 7 months ago

Time to step back and take a little breath. This team has the talent. The coaching is better and the S&C is better. If Coach Weiss is really sleeping on a cot in his office I question that this is the best thing for either him or the team. I hope that someone close to him gets him to work on his personal health. Watched the Karate Kid last night and was thinking about balance. Everyone needs it. Slow and steady will win this race. I don't want to see Weiss (who does have talent and drive) burn himself out. This might be a good time for humility for all, starting at the top. Instead of telling everyone what they did wrong maybe the coaches should ask, where do you guys think we the coaches let you down? Right now the players need to believe and perhaps that will help them believe if they see the coaches as vulnerable. Just a thought.

Otherwise I still don't think this does not mean we can't win 5 or 6 games. Maybe Dayne needs to sit a while. Maybe we need to see what Michael can do. I would not be afraid to tweek a few things. My biggest concern is that I have never been a fan of pro-style offenses in the college game. Eventually that could be, but here and now, um, not so sure.

At the end of the day I just want us to build, be patient and support the team. I will have a lot of opinions, as we all will, but I love KU football and will still support these guys, this coach and this program. A lot of good teams lost yesterday so we are not alone. How we respond is important. Be competitive is all I expect.

KjayhawkprideU 1 year, 7 months ago

I am a Jayhawk fan and I support them no matter what happens. I will ne there every home game cheering them on win or lose. The one thing I want to point out is UCLA beat a ranked team this week and now will start the week at #24 they beat Rice and we held them to beating us by one which is not a 30 pt blow out. Arkansas lost by 4 in OT to an unranked DII team knocking them out of top 25 did you see that one coming I didn't. Take pride in being a Jayhawk, be there for them, show your support, I you don't want to support them fine don't go to the games and in 2 years when we are competing for the Big 12 championship or going to another Orange bowl don't so up to the games then either if you a true fan your are there through thick and thin. Here until the clock runs out. Rock chalk!!!

1timbob 1 year, 7 months ago

Everything is going just fine. What do all of you expect? Charlie is a good coach and Crist is a good QB. I loved the 4th and 1 call that drew them offsides. The first two plays was questionable, however if it had worked we would've praised the call. I liked the call cause it can catch the other team by surprise and that's what you have to do to be a good coach. You can't be predictable. Good job coach and Crist.

mikehawk 1 year, 7 months ago

No doubt about it, that was a game we should have won and didn't for many reasons. Blame is easy and there was plenty to go around. Coach said to lay it on him and that is what real leaders should say. The KU faithful have been gulping down the Blue Kool Aid believing a D-1 program which is about as far down as it can go will be rebuilt like we rebuild the basketball team with two or three great players in a recruiting class. In football, it takes LOTS of football players who are big, fast and tough, and who buy into a system that takes time to sink in and develop. Many of the blogs above have turned to the blame game to soothe their psyches, ready to turn on Weiss, call on the holy name of Mangino, blame the current and past AD, etc. etc. For good or bad, and we won't know for at least two more years (sorry folks because that is the way it is in football) whether Charlie Weiss et al was the right hire or not. It doesn't help our recruiting to look into the stands and see the stadium about 3/4 full on a beautiful Fall afternoon. What we have in basketball and lack in football is tradition that shows up at every home game. They've done it at the other school in Kansas, and now they are doing it in Ames. It takes time and as much as I hated it when my mother told me...we are going to have to show up, cheer, and BE PATIENT. Let's get out our trusty Serenity Prayers and figure out what we can do to help, and right now, that is hang in there with the Old Ball Coach and buy tickets. When we do start to win again, and that day will come, the Blue Kool Aid will go down easy and taste good.

danmoore 1 year, 7 months ago

We deserve a bad football program.

If you were a high school player being recruited by D1 programs would you come to a school that only cares about basketball, can’t fill up a 50k stadium, fans leave before game ends? We expect to win even when the expectation is unrealistic. Until the culture of apathy changes we will only see modest improvement at best. An occasional bowl game will be followed by down years after the coach has left for greener pastures. We have a top ten basketball fan base but our football fan base is not even in the top 100.

Sparko 1 year, 7 months ago

Crist is obviously not well. But in any event, Weis may have been the only coach in America who loses this game.by calling absolutely idiotic plays. Clock management was bad again too. . .

Brian Zachary 1 year, 7 months ago

Judging by most of the comments on here and the interwebs, Kansas doesn'r deserve a football program. Most comments are uneducated whining by folks with unrealistic expectations. Half the stadium leaves at halftime! HCCW deserves our patience and our respect. This isn't going to turn around over night. To paraphrase Bill Clinton "It is going to take more than 2 games what was destroyed in 2 years."

hole_n_one 1 year, 7 months ago

Stop posting about Crist being a 5-star recruit, that was back in 2008. Hell, Andrew Luck and RGIII were both 3 and 4 star recruits that year. Those rankings are all crap.
Crist was nothing at Notre Dame and Notre Dame had much more talent than KU. Crist had Michael Floyd and Golden Tate to throw to and he was still not much at Notre Dame.
What made you think coming to KU and having an inferior roster was going to make Crist any better.

Steve Gantz 1 year, 7 months ago

Can't wait for basketball season.

Jeff Soisson 1 year, 7 months ago

If we are going to go 2-10 again then start another QB, we should not start over this year to start over next year. Crist needs to win or step aside. 7 point in 30 minutes is ridiculous.

BayPark 1 year, 7 months ago

With our lack of talent, how can we expect much more this year than we got yesterday. I'm not sure coaching can get us much farther. If you don't have the horses...

BringBackMark 1 year, 7 months ago

I'm all for giving a coach time to turn a program around. However, how do you do it by starting 5th year senior transfers? This smells of someone naive enough to think they could do a quick fix, win enough games to get to a meager bowl game, and move on to the next gig. Let's get Michael Cummings in there the rest of the way. This was the last game we'll be favored in (by a bunch).

TulsaJayhawk 1 year, 7 months ago

I was at KU in the late 70s, that started with a great team but fell apart when Nolan Cromwell went down. I never left early, and even the games I attend since graduating I stay through the bitter end. I really took loosing this game hard. Almost as hard as losing to Wichita State in the early 80's just before their program was shut down. It was another example of the coaching staff, and the players not mentally finishing. Coach, I’m about ready for that fist fight.

77hawk 1 year, 7 months ago

Disappointing play calling by the coaching staff in the fourth quarter and really poor tackling in the fourth quarter gave the Hawks a loss. I agree so far there is not any upgrade in the QB position. Hopefully the coaching staff learned a lot about the team. In any case I am just hoping KU will be compettivie this year and maybe sneak a couple of wins in the Big 12. This will be a vast improvement over the past two years.

Remember Mangino had little work with his first year or two before the team became competitive, therefore Weis deserves the same consideration and time to work it out. My biggest concern with Weis is the same story about a weak defense with no stopping power as was the case when he was at ND. I am hoping Campo can turn this around for Weis.I am thinking Campo will be putting a lot time in improving the open field tackling techniques of the team. ;)

Sam Brockert 1 year, 7 months ago

Arkansas lost to ul Monroe,bthat is all I am going to say.

akgjenkintown 1 year, 7 months ago

"With KU leading 24-13 early in the third quarter, Cox moved the chains 22 yards on three consecutive rushes to make it first-and-10 from the Rice 28. The running game wasn’t broken, so this was no time to try to fix the passing game". KU's two running backs were averaging over 6 yards a carry!!

As soon as they passed on first and 10 at the 28 yard line, it was clear that the entire momentum of the game changed. Instead of potentially going up by 18 points by sticking with what was working and nearly locking the game away Weiss outsmarted himself. Make no mistake, Weiss and his playing calling lost this game. It started with the first two plays of the game and then amplified when he began to rely in Crist and not the players who had moved the ball up and down the field consistently. He was out-coached. “I’m not going to isolate any player or any position or any coach on the team ever,” Weis said. “I’ll never do it.” He doesn't need to since he was the problem.

Scott Morgan 1 year, 7 months ago

Not a huge KU fan, but really am enjoying the Charlie Weis time.

KU looked like a football team yesterday. Some folks should realize how far this team has moved in a year.

Bill Snyder can recruit. He uses the Manhattan as a tool, especially with parents concerned over what type of character their child will be at the end of his college career. Very powerful tool when you see all the troubles SEC have regarding players getting into significant trouble. Big mistake underestimating Snyder.

BTW.....if you haven't seen Manhattan lately take the drive, you will be amazed at the growth. Booming town, fun place to be young.

Commercial airline flights in much closer than we have here too.

Robert Brown 1 year, 7 months ago

At least the conference situation is stable for 13 years. With the exception of KU there is no easy win in the Big 12 so getting to where we can win 3 conference games a years is a huge task

leonard 1 year, 7 months ago

-- I'm glad we lost to Rice...I expect the TCU game to be more competitive now. -- hbjayhawk

Among several candidates...that is clearly the dumbest comment today.

JakeBarnes 1 year, 7 months ago

Take heart. You could be graduates or students at the University of Colorado!!!! Check the scores.

Now if you want to feel real shi**y, you could be grads or students at Miz ur ee. But then you would probably have trouble finding or understanding the score.

rockchalknation 1 year, 7 months ago

How can you ever be glad with a loss???? As HCCW said, losing is not acceptable. Being competitive is not enough. We are really in need of a mind set makeover!

hbjayhawk 1 year, 7 months ago

I'm glad we lost to Rice...I expect the TCU game to be more competitive now. Let's see how Crist and the boys respond.

tauck 1 year, 7 months ago

Keep the clock moving in the 4th quarter ahead 24-13. The ball never should have left the ground with a 11pt lead. Poor play calling and clock management. Seems like a no brainer to me, our running game was moving along just fine.

741hawk 1 year, 7 months ago

Few of us are jumping ship, BUT . . . the fourth quarter was a major disappointment. What we expected from Crist was poise and maturity. He showed neither when he took snaps before the play clock ran down in the fourth quarter. He did not show good judgement (which you expect from a fifth year quarterback) when he threw the last pass into coverage . . . instead of out of bounds.

I was disappointed in HCCW's clock management in the fourth quarter. We should have been running the ball (which is where we had success earlier in the game) and running down the play clock. I had expected that Charlie would be a master at game strategy. Yesterday, he was not.

All that said . . . a strong kicking game would have resulted in a Jayhawk victory.

troutsee 1 year, 7 months ago

After seeing our performance in the first two games, I doubt that we will win another game all season. Let's start and end with an over-rated QB. He is totally one dimensional, and not very good at that. In modern college FB, a winning team needs a mobile QB. Mobility at the QB position presents all sorts of options. Christ is not mobile. If a QB is not mobile, then he better have a creative OC with creative pass patterns and speedy receivers who know how to read defensive coverages and the QB must have great accuracy, like OSU last year. I am not seeing this in this year's team and Christ has been a huge disappointment, as has the play calling. Furthermore, Christ is high or long on many of his throws. Not impressed at all. Unless Charlie has the guts to try Cummings at QB, which I don't think he does as he has already totally committed to Christ, we are in for a long, long season of woe once again in KU FB. I am sick of it.

CRAZY4KUSPORTS 1 year, 7 months ago

Boy it didn't take long for the KU family to jump ship. Did you expect the new coaching staff to preform a miracle already. They are having to completely turn around a culture of winning. This is the bad thing about being a KU football fan. No one has any patients. I can here the fire Charle chants now. I am surprised that there wasn't a can't wait for basketball post on here. Come on people!!

leonard 1 year, 7 months ago

Whoa Nelson...a little sanity and perspective before we throw this coaching staff and team to the wolves.

For some perspective, here's a little trip down memory lane.

Glen Mason, in 9 yrs. produced only 2 winning conference records. Terry Allen in 5 yrs. produced exactly 0 winning conference records. Mark Mangino in 8 yrs. produced only 1 winning conference record. Turner Gill in 2 yrs produced 0 winning conference records. Charlie Weis?...Going to walk on water and in a few short months turn this team into a winner.

For some sanity let's cast a gaze to that little town to the west that reportedly has a coach who can walk on water.

In Bill Snyder Part 1...he inherited an abysmal team who had won only 1 conference game during the previous 3 seasons. In his first 2 years his teams posted a 2-12 conference record.

In Bill Snyder Part 2...he inherited a team who had gone 5-11 in the conference in the previous 2 seasons. In his first 2 years his teams posted a 7-9 conference record.

Charlie Weis and water wings? A little sanity and perspective, please!

fan4kufootball 1 year, 7 months ago

We should have never lost this game. We had the game won until the last few minutes. We needed this win so bad that allowing Crist (altough there is no doubt he needed the practice) to continue to pass the ball was huge mistake! We should have continued to run the ball and get the win.

BTW - I havent seen any comments on the cable camera. Was this a one-time thing that the news channel installed or was this an addition to the stadium by KU Athletics?

swunruhawk 1 year, 7 months ago

Rice is a better team than anyone thought. They played well against a UCLA team that upset Nebraska. The Jayhawks did not loose to a lousy team on Saturday. However, we still should have won the game.

fljayhawk 1 year, 7 months ago

Prevent defense, YUK. The only thing a prevent defense does is preventing a team ahead by a couple of points, to lose a game. Rushing 4 lineman opens a hole up for the offense and gives the QB lots of running room once past the line of scrimmage. And yet teams still use it.

99yard_run 1 year, 7 months ago

I blame primarily Matt Tait for his lack of objective reporting/ writing, building unreasonable expectations, getting everyone stirred up....... thanks for that........ how 'bout we come back to planet earth now and recognize CW will fail at Kansas as bad as he did at ND....

tical523 1 year, 7 months ago

The first two offensive play calls in the game were absolutely terrible, those are plays you put into action when you are playing a far better team. I believe if we would have lined up and ran the ball down their throats and scored a TD on the first possesion we could have taken a huge shot at their confidence / will . . . . instead we throw a pick off of a reverse flea-flicker for an interception and Rice knows they can compete. That being said I do think Rice is better than we think (not an excuse) but we could have started off with much more confidence than we did.

rockchalknation 1 year, 7 months ago

This was a game that never should have been lost. By middle to late in the third quarter we had won the game of attrition and were dominating Rice at the line of scrimmage. Would have been nice to go to a jumbo pakcage for a change up and pound the rock to finish Rice off; go double tight ends, move Mundine to fullback, put Bouban in a tailback and mash it down their throat. That would have psychologically detroyed Rice and swung momentum hard our way. Instead we did not fininsh off the drive that Keegan mentions in the article. Other observations: Pick is by far our best receiver; he runs good routes, catches the ball, blocks, and is a big a target. Our other receivers are very small targets, do not run good routes and have a hard time getting open, and do not catch the ball well. The tight ends we rotate in do a ncie job. O-line is good in spots but not consistent. Running back is a strength, we should go to it more. Defensive line is much improved. Our linebacking core is weak; we get beat at the second level consitently. Defensive backs are a mystery. They tackle poorly and coverage is inconsistent. The times Campo brought heat from the edge our DB's were put in great position but failed to make plays. There is no way he can pressure more because our linebackers and DBs make way to many mistakes. Crist needs to relax and play the game he is capable of; he is not Peyton Manning and should run the play given to him from the sideline and quit over thinking the game. Players make plays and when we needed it most, our guys did not make the plays needed to win the game.

jayhawkinATL 1 year, 7 months ago

Third and 19 on last possession and you do a quick out for 5 yards and run out of bounds to make sure the Owls have enough time to kick the game-winner??? WTF???

Mike Barnhart 1 year, 7 months ago

I'm so disgusted this train wreck didn't get turned around over night! Weiss was lucky to ever get four Super Bowl rings. He's clearly in over his head ... blah, blah, blah!

Mangino's first season - lost to UNLV and Bowling Green. Bill Snyders first season - lost to N. Iowa and N. Illinois. Gary Pinkels first season - lost to Bowling Green.

PATIENCE PEOPLE!!! It's nowhere close to pretty right now but there is improvement.

HAWKTOPIA 1 year, 7 months ago

Give a nother QB some game snaps.

jayhawkinATL 1 year, 7 months ago

Calling it now...we don't win another game this season. Even NIU takes us to the wood shed.

jayhawkinATL 1 year, 7 months ago

We STILL suck!!! Plain and simple.

Robert Brock 1 year, 7 months ago

The right side of the offensive line is not capable of run-blocking or pass-blocking. That is going to be a huge problem going into conference play. Crist is not going to have time to drop back and find targets; the staff will have to come up with plays requiring quick execution.

Kevin Crook 1 year, 7 months ago

Crist hasn't played a heck of a lot of football over the last two years. He seems very rusty. I still question our play calling, but our biggest failure in this game was poor tackling. As bad as we played in almost every facet except running the ball, we still had the game won if we could have tackled better late in the game. I never ever ever thought this season was going to be anything but 3-9 or 2-10 anyway. We have a long way to go.

coolhawk 1 year, 7 months ago

KU needs a kicker that can kick off into the end zone for touchbacks and can make field goals from a decent amount of yards. I said the same thing last week. If we had a kicker, we wouldn't be talking about a loss to Rice. Doherty is a good punter. But he is not a good kicker. A 53 yard field goal attempt? Really? I have not seen anything that makes me believe he can hit one beyond 35 yards. Charlie had 9 months to get a kicker for this team. You have to have a good kicker to win in college football. Ask the Rice fans today and see how glad they are to have a good kicker on the team - four for four yesterday in field goal attempts. The difference in the game. Also, put Josh Ford on the field. He is the best athlete on the team and he is only being used for special teams? Did you happen to see the 6'5" receiver, #15, Rice had that was tearing us up all day? Put in bigger, taller receivers so Crist has a bigger target since accuracy is an issue. At 6'4", maybe Ford or Omigie can leap to catch the passes that seem to sail over the heads of our 5"10" guys. Create some mismatches for the other team. Put a bigger target on the field since we can't seem to get the ball to the short guys in space. The tall receivers are on the bench. They are weapons that are not being utilized correctly. Put them in the game, especially in the red zone, and let's go for TDs and not passes for no gain or passing blindly to short receivers. Give the QB some help and let him get his MOJO back. Give him some confidence. It is a better team than last year and will improve. But for now, we need to use what we have and use it better.

Leo Hawkins 1 year, 7 months ago

Right now, this team lacks mental and physical toughness -- the missed tackles against Rice that led to first downs, will be missed tackles against conference competition for touchdowns. Weis has not developed a tough team. Our linebackers are easily the slowest in all of the Big XII. Even when we had angles on Rice ball carriers, our linebackers could not catch them. Weis/Crist combination is not clicking. Crist is a statue out there, he refuses to even run for a first down if all he had to do was walk two steps. This team is very poor -- particularly in mental/physical toughness. Jayhawk teams in the past, under Mangino, have lacked talent before, but they were always TOUGH and assignment sound. We lack in both qualities. I am not confident that we will win another game all year.

Steve Corder 1 year, 7 months ago

Why did we not take the wind for the 4th quarter?

Janet Scott 1 year, 7 months ago

To recruit well for the future, this KU staff will have to win games they are not supposed to win, and not lose games they are not expected to lose, and not get blown out by the top teams. Elite recruits pay attention to this stuff. Can this staff demonstrate superior coaching, and exceptional player development? They must, if KU is to rise to a competitive level in the Big 12.

RogersState80 1 year, 7 months ago

We have finally got the program turned around. I did not like the "Orange Bowl" experience. I did not like all the hype. Now that were losing again I won't have to waste my money going to places like Florida to watch our team in the national spotlight. I'm glad our fans like Charlie for what hes doing. The last thing I want to do is become like K-State and start winning.

Ralster Jayhawk 1 year, 7 months ago

And the article's title reveals the journalist succumbs to the same sentiment hitting some of the fans. But if he thought big-pix, maybe he wouldnt have succumbed? For example: Dayne Crist and Mike Ragone and Charlie Weis know the plays and the offense, but what about the receiving targets in a finesse/timing offense? Hey, I am an admitted fan of Weis, as also being a Chiefs+Patriots fan, I recognize some of the formations KU is using already as signature Weis stuff. Like the TD pass to the TE last week. Or the TD pass this week vs. Rice. But the deep outs and the QB building his "trust" with a certain receiver or two is a thing that takes time. They constantly talk about that trusted receiver/QB chemistry at the professional NFL level all the time. God, so why would someone opine "not so great" after 2 games? Best is yet to come, I believe. And this season is the last chance for Crist to show pro scouts what he needs to show them. Just keep practicing with Pick, Beshears, Patterson, Ragone, Mundine, Pierson, etc...thats all the passing offense can do at this point--keep working...

Matthew Pritchard 1 year, 7 months ago

Does anyone remember when Mangino took over this program, he had to rebuild through defense! Gabe Toomey started the trend of good, not great linebackers who were solid. The problem is that the defensive line needs some work and needs to get bigger.The hawks are only going to get better with recruiting good talent and making them better. Give this coaching staff some time to build because right now we are playing with a group who only knows how to blow games the last 2 years. A winning mentality is only earned by a team coming together, hccw will right the ship and this team will get better by the end of the year. Jake heaps will be the catalyst to take the offense to another level next year. The recruits for next year are already looking better. Christ is still a little rusty, but he will pick it up as the season goes along. This team needs a better play selection to counter the opponent's momentum. I am frustrated with the play calling in the second half, if you are going to use a pro-style, use a bootleg every now and then to keep Christ mobile and keep the defense guessing. He has a strong enough arm to throw on the run or pick up 5 yards on the scramble. Hello, the running game was working for you the first half, keep pounding the ball. Pierson was mishandled this game, he is our big play man and should have had more carries.

machinegun 1 year, 7 months ago

Just one game that got away at the very end. Just one field goal here or there. Just one TD pass here or there. No need to get silly. We have a decent team. Coach Weis and his staff are working with the guys and getting them ready for the next game against TCU.

LAJayhawk 1 year, 7 months ago

At the end of the day, everyone... I mean EVERYONE... needs to and is going to improve. Yes, mistakes were made in this game. Several, in fact. Yes, there was some very question play-calling at times. Yes, our former 5-star QB has been less than stellar in a number of areas. Yes, our defense still has a ways to go to be Big 12 caliber. But don't kid yourself. This team is miles and miles ahead of last year, and Charlie Weis (mistakes included) is light-years ahead of Turner Gill.

Yes, this team has issues. Serious issues that need to be worked out. But they also have the feel of a team that is disciplined and just missing the consistency of other programs. We do have talent. Not as much as other Big 12 schools, but there is enough there to compete. What we need to do is improve. From top to bottom, position to position, and coach to coach. Yes, even Charlie Weis needs to look at how to get better with this squad. He, just as much as anyone, is responsible for a number of things that could have won this game. But the thing is, I KNOW this team will improve. I can just feel it. We're going to get better. A lot better.

I say all that because I know the "we've been here before" and the "same as the last two years" crowd is very likely to come out. But don't kid yourself. This team is so far beyond the last two years, they aren't even comparable. We may only win one more game this season, but this is a far better football team than the Turner Gill era. And, unlike the Gill years, this team WILL improve, not devolve. They will be a better team by years end, not worse. So while you might feel like screaming something like the quotes above, or say how horrible this team is, or how overrated everyone is and the hype was ridiculous, blah, blah, blah.... just stop for a moment and think before you do. Yes, they will need to rise above this crushing disappointment, but I do think they will. I absolutely think they will. Just give them that chance. Give them the time to prove they can rise above this. As a fellow Jayhawk, that is all I ask.

Rock Chalk.

Bangkok_Jayhawk 1 year, 7 months ago

Keegan may catch crap for this article (and me for this post) but he is exactly right here. For Kansas to be respectable this year we needed to have very good QB play. To this point, Crist is a slight downgrade from Webb was not a terrible QB at all.

Plenty of blame to go around. I suspect pass blocking and route running are not points of strength either. The defense and kicking game are not up to par either.

Sounds like a lot of negativity but it's really not. From day 1 we have known this program was in shambles and may need a couple years before we hit respectability. A lot of us (definitely myself included) felt things could take off and we could get to 4 or 5 wins. For things to take off we needed big time production from the passing game and a vastly improved defense. This was never a one year project.

Losing to Rice was a major shot to this years team. The future can still be bright but the present did get a bit darker. We NEEDED to sweep non confidence play to make this season interesting. We got ourselves in a big hole by letting an easy victory go.

Would love to be wrong here and see us steal some games and make some progress but to this point it looks as though things are not on pace for a quick turnaround. I still have all the faith in the world in this coaching staff and look forward to better days. Rock Chalk... Let's find a way to do some positive things this season.

ahpersecoachingexperience 1 year, 7 months ago