Monday, September 3, 2012

Cat’ Barber: Visit to KU a perfect ‘10’

Recruit Anthony "Cat" Barber (Rivals.com contributed photo).

Recruit Anthony "Cat" Barber (Rivals.com contributed photo).

Anthony “Cat” Barber told Rivals.com he had a great time on his weekend recruiting trip to Kansas University.

In fact, Barber, a 6-foot-2 senior guard from Hampton (Va.) High, rated his visit as a 10 on a scale of 1-10.

Barber, who is ranked No. 9 nationally by Rivals.com, did not orally commit to KU after his visit. He will visit Louisville next weekend and Alabama on Sept. 15. A visit to North Carolina State is also possible.

KU target Marcus Lee also will visit Louisville this upcoming weekend. Lee, a 6-9 power forward from Deer Valley High in Antioch, Calif., is ranked No. 15 nationally. Louisville and KU are also recruiting point guards Demetrius Jackson and Chris Jones. Jackson, 6-1 senior from Marian High in Mishawaka, Ind., is ranked No. 27 by Rivals.com. Jones, 5-10 sophomore, is a former Tennessee commit who attends Northwest Florida State College.

Collison in Kenya: Former KU forward Nick Collison of the NBA’s Oklahoma City Thunder is in Kenya as part of a UNICEF field trip. He is filing a travelogue for NBA.com. Collison previously attended Basketball without Borders in 2008 in Johannesburg, South Africa.

His current travels have taken him to Kakuma and a refugee camp that is home of over 100,000 individuals displaced by conflict or famine.

“Malnutrition, chronic disease, and a lack of water in the desert climate are some of the major issues that the camp deals with on a daily basis,” Collison wrote. “Each refugee is provided with water, food rations of 2,100 calories a day and free health care. In severe cases where they are unable to treat a person they can send up to six people a month to a hospital in Nairobi. They also provide education for the children, but it is difficult with limited resources and class sizes that average 114 and can reach as high as 180 students in a small classroom.

“We saw a living space where new refugees stay until they are able to create more permanent housing. A group or family of three to five people live in a space roughly 8x8 feet and sleep on blankets on the floor. Overall, this was an eye-opening experience. I am thankful to both the NBA and UNICEF for bringing me here to meet the wonderful people who are helping refugees from across the continent find a more peaceful life. I always knew UNICEF did such great work, but being able to see first hand how they impact and save children’s lives was an incredible experience.  I encourage you all to take just a moment out of your day and learn how you can make a difference in a child’s life by visiting Unicefusa.org. I promise it will be some of the most important and rewarding time you spend today.

Collison’s blog is available at http://allball.blogs.nba.com/2012/08/30/nick-collison-details-trip-to-kenya-with-dikembe-mutombo-unicef/

Recruiting: Jermaine Lawrence, a 6-9 senior power forward from Pope John XXIII High in Sparta, N.J., who has KU on his list, is seriously considering UNLV.

CBSsports.com’s Jon Rothstein on Sunday tweeted: “Hearing UNLV picking up a lot of steam in the Jermaine Lawrence sweepstakes. Rebels have made Sin City a destination for top tier talent.”

Lawrence is ranked No. 18 by Rivals.com.

Comments

OakvilleJaybateNightmare 1 year, 11 months ago

Glad you enjoyed the visit Cat, sorry the weather wasn't better!! We're expecting to see you back on campus next year. See you then.

KEITHMILES05 1 year, 11 months ago

There was nothing wrong with the weather. Since when is rain a bad thing?

Alohahawk 1 year, 11 months ago

As a combination Jayhawk and classic movie buff I'd love to see KU sign up this "Cat on a Hot 10 List". 10 on a scale of 1 - 10. This is great news on the recruiting trail.

Phil Leister 1 year, 11 months ago

Can someone explain why there's an apostrophe preceding the 10 in the headline?

Michael Pannacciulli 1 year, 11 months ago

Sounds like we couldn't have done a better job in leaving a good impression. Once he visits the others he will see quickly how KU rises above all.

Steve Yeakel 1 year, 11 months ago

Come to KU Cat, Coach Self does a great job making complete guards who play great tram ball, like Mario and Deron, be our next great guard.

bennybob 1 year, 11 months ago

Don't get overly excited. Every kid says every visit is great.

can anyone point to a kid saying they didn't like their visit? ever?

Ron Franklin 1 year, 11 months ago

It looks as if Shabazz, Kyle, & Tony are all being 'reviewed' by the NCAA right now.

REHawk 1 year, 11 months ago

Aw, Ben, Ben, tell us it's not so!

jaybate 1 year, 11 months ago

Joe Dooley, the UCLA job will soon be open.

bennybob 1 year, 11 months ago

Dooley is a great coach. But if the best starting gig Danny Manning could get is at Tulsa I highly doubt Dooley can make a jump from KU assistant directly to the head job at a blueblood program.

Mike Bratisax 1 year, 11 months ago

I still hope he would rather stay here. Of course, never thought Danny Manning would leave. Seems weird knowing he is coaching somewhere else. Whatever course he decides I'm sure will be well supported.

jaybate 1 year, 11 months ago

For the record, I would love for Joe D to decide he wants to stay with Bill till death do them part, but the guy has done such a good job, I just want him to be rewarded with a great offer if he wants one. And since he interviews occassionally, I figure he wants another shot.

Curtis Stutz 1 year, 11 months ago

That's good news Cat, sounds like you must have fit right in with the players and staff. Don't be persuaded by the 11 herbs and spices of the chicken bucket, you'll have plenty of time to play in a corporate sponsored arena downtown in the NBA. Go to KU and get the real college experience playing on campus in one of the most storied gyms in all of basketball.

Tony Bandle 1 year, 11 months ago

Cat probably saw who was leaving, who was coming and who was staying and realized that there was a good chance of a lot of "prime time playing time" available for himself as well a chance to grow.

Although bennybob makes a good point about taking a recruit's comments with a grain of salt, Cat could have stopped at "great time", but to add on "10 out of 10" seems significant enough for KU Nation to note with optimism.

Sam Brockert 1 year, 11 months ago

Too bad it wasn't during Late Night...On a scale from 1-10 he would have rated that weekend a 15.

gchawk 1 year, 11 months ago

I really hope this "Cat" picks KU, sounds like he'd be a great addition to our team. I'm a little surprised that as a Rivals 9th ranked player he isn't being recruited by some of the other usual suspects, i.e. UNC, Duke, UK, etc. Maybe he was and just marked them off his list. It seems that we're, KU, always going head to head with those other schools for top ranked athletes. Cat, if you thought last weekend was exciting, just wait a few more months, nothing compares to Lawrence during basketball season.

Jesse Johnson 1 year, 11 months ago

This is an interesting and completely valid point. I have read quotes by coach K where he states that he only recruits players of good character. I think Bill Self takes a different approach where he doesn't shy away from the players who come from troubled backgrounds. I think HCBS likes to take in these players and sort of be the father they never had and give them the tough love they need. While coach K's philosophy to only recruit high character players is respectable, I think Bill Self's life coaching philosophy is more admirable. Contrast both of these styles to someone like Ben Howland though who coddles the talent even if they are bullies or thugs until it ruins team unity. Obviously I am very glad to have Bill Self as a coach and I hope he stays forever! (Okay, maybe not forever, but at least until he's 70)

JHAWK34TRUTH 1 year, 11 months ago

Mr. Barber, thanks for visting and we're glad you enjoyed your visit and we hope to have you stay even longer.

RCJHKU

Tony Bandle 1 year, 11 months ago

kD, man I got to tell you...you know your stuff. It's a pleasure reading your posts.....and you keep it friendly.

Curtis Stutz 1 year, 11 months ago

Hopefully 'Rio comes along quickly and is a sound starter by his sophomore year, but who knows? What should matter most to Cat is, if he's as good as advertised, he'll get a lot of playing time without the pressure of being the only guy that can handle the ball. That also would allow him to play more aggressive and attack more on offense not having to worry as much about foul trouble. He'd have the potential to plug into the offense in multiple ways which I think has to be good for his development and NBA prospects. With guys like LeBron in the NBA, PG's need to be able to play off the ball, make cuts, set up to catch the pass that leads to the assist and so on.

Jesse Johnson 1 year, 11 months ago

I really like the idea of a 3-man rotation of Tharpe/Cat/Frankamp at the 1-2 positions. I do think Rio will be the odd man out if we are able to land Cat or another one of these high profile PGs. In this case, I think it would be in his and team's best interest for him to redshirt next year. That would allow him to contintue to develop in practice with the team but still have 3 years of eligibility left to get more playing time as a much improved player (see Releford). At the 3 position we have McLemore (assuming he stays), White and Greene and at the 4-5 we will have Ellis with Peters/Lucas/Traylor (like Rio, I think either Peters or Lucas (or both) will have to redshirt this year due to overcrowded bench) and hopefully one of the high-profile bigs we are pursuing (Lee/Lawrence/Shepard/Randle). If we can land one awesome PG and one awesome PF/C then next year's team will be extremely deep and taletented. It's a very exciting time to be a Jayhawk!

actorman 1 year, 11 months ago

Is it just me, or shouldn't someone named Lawrence be required to go to KU?

jaybate 1 year, 11 months ago

~Jermaine Lawrence's interest in UNLV triggered me to look up UNLV HC Dave Rice and Quintrel Thomas again.

~Thomas first: Looks like Quintrel Thomas, who was out last season with an injury, appears ready to go again. He's listed at 6-8 and 245. His size might have been a very good fit with KU's current roster--the banger this year's KU team appears to lack. Regardless, it's kind of interesting to look at a UNLV season summary of his sophomore season.

"SOPHOMORE (2010-11): Named Spring 2011 Academic All-Mountain West ... Earned a team academic award for having a 3.0 or better grade point average ... Appeared in all 33 of UNLV's games and made 26 starts ... Averaged 6.7 points and 5.2 rebounds per game ... Shot 52.7 percent from the floor ... Was 10th in the MW in rebounding and 10th in blocked shots (24) ... Was second on the team in rebounds and blocks, third in free throws made and fifth in scoring and field goals made ... Had three double-doubles, including a career-high 16 rebounds (with 15 points) against Utah ... The 16 rebounds are the highest single-game total for a UNLV player since 2005 ... Scored in double figures eight times, including a career-high 19 points at New Mexico (7-12 FG) ... Scored in double figures in six of his last 13 games ... Led the team in scoring twice and in rebounding seven times." Not bad for a first season starting.

~Next to Dave Rice: played 2 seasons for Tark, then coached for Tark and next for Tark's assistant that replaced Tark for about 10 season, then to Stew Morrill's bang ball for a year, then to assist BYU's Dave Rose for a baptism in dignity, success, and the Jimmer Fredette glow. Rice has "looked at coaching from both sides now, from up and down and all around..." It will be interesting to see if he is a "do it the right way" type, or more in the Tark mold. But ethics aside, Rice could yield a very interesting brand of ball strategically. First, Rice learned defense from arguably the greatest defensive coach up to his time--Jerry Tarkanian, who coached controlled pressure every where all the time, rather than the helter skelter Nolan Richardson/Mike Anderson school of full court scramble. It will be interesting to see if Rice presses or not. Almost certainly, Rice will have added some of Morrill's bang ball to his quiver of weapons. Offense I cannot forecast, but maybe most interesting to see what unfolds. With a back ground of Tark, Morrill, and Rose, there are a number of possibilities that could unfold. Regardless, were Rice to develop a controlled full court "muscle" defense, it could be the next step in defenses. Perhaps timely, too, with the drift of refereeing in the game and the tendency today for teams to bulk up and slow things down into grind it out. Alas, this year's UNLV roster, with the exception of Quintrel, does not seem well-suited to a full court muscle defense. Maybe next year.

Vegashawk3345 1 year, 11 months ago

-Not sure where you are getting your info Jaybate, but Quintrell Thomas did NOT sit out due to injury last season...He was the low man on the totem pole in the Big man rotation for the Rebels last season.. Behind Brice Massamba and Carlos Lopez...He has lost substantial weight for this upcoming season (20+lbs) and should be more suitable to Coach Rice's running style of play. Last season he could just not keep up.

-As for this upcoming season's UNLV roster.. I am not sure why you think Quintrell is the only one suited for full court D (especially since he was the only one on the roster last season who fell way way behind). UNLV is pretty loaded this season with Athletes. A top 10 recruiting class (7th overall) has the the Rebels in really good shape, especially the frontcourt... A front court starting lineup consisting of Mike Moser @SF, Anthony Bennett(McD AA) @PF and Khem Birch (McD AA)@C is pretty darn athletic and they all are lockdown defenders, long, and can run like gazelles.

Tony Bandle 1 year, 11 months ago

Yeah, but do they have the guts to double down with "16" showing??

jaybate 1 year, 11 months ago

Thx for heads up. Thought sure he got injured and missed most of last season.

This was the link for the 2012-2013 roster. http://www.unlvrebels.com/sports/m-baskbl/mtt/unlv-m-baskbl-mtt.html

When I searched the UNLV web site I found this link and summary if Quintrel.

His summary made no mention of last season, so I assumed I recalled correctly on the injury. Ugh. My bad, assuming you are right. And too bad for Quintrel, too. Leaves KU and gets placed with Unibrow, with whom he does ok. Unibrow leaves for OU and Rice benches him. Pretty sucky.

Regarding the roster you refer to, I do not see much muscle on that club. I don't doubt they have talent, but the heights and weights don't look like they are going to keep Ratso Izzo's kind of players up at night. :-)

Vegashawk3345 1 year, 11 months ago

Ya people around here in Vegas are hoping Thomas steps it up in this last season as a Rebel. Last season was pretty disappointing for him and everyone here pulls for the kid and wants him to succeed. He was just always just one step too slow and had hands of stone that could not hold onto the ball last year. On a positive note, along with the weight loss, he has developed a REALLY good 12-18ft shot over the summer that nobody saw coming. I am a lifelong Jhawk fan and have only been in Vegas following UNLV the last 5 or so years, since it is really the only local sport here worth watching. This years UNLV team is going to surprise a lot of people this season.... Their new coaching staff are relentless recruiters that play a very fast paced, fun style of ball that recruits love. Seems like every top prospect they went after full force last year, they landed (besides Shabazz)... Word around the program right now is that Jermaine Lawrence is the staff's number 1 priority at the moment for 2013, along with SG Isaac Hamilton.

gchawk 1 year, 11 months ago

As usual, great info Jaybate, really appreciate the insight. By the way, what was Quintrel's injury?

jaybate 1 year, 11 months ago

I thought he had a knee problem, but VegasHawk3345, who has an alias that makes me think he knows the situation up close and personal, indicates other wise.

KanKu 1 year, 11 months ago

Hopefully this "Cat" signs with KU for the talent and depth he would bring. However I believe Frankcamp can play the point for KU regardless of who KU adds or does not add. I have seen Frankcamp play in person, get the defenses entire attention, and still move through defenders like they weren't there.

jaybate 1 year, 11 months ago

Nick Collison has just spiked off the charts in my esteem. Helping refugees and in Africa. What many may not realize is that just going to these places in Africa takes a brass pair. There are parasites in Africa that are difficult, if not impossible to cure, if you catch them. If you think Montezuma's revenge is bad in Mexico, then raise the disease and parasite risk in touring Africa to an exponent of 10. I know many good persons go to Africa and work for the NGOs and come home without problems, but you really do have to be willing to risk yourself to go, especially if you dare to get outside your hotel and actually mingle among the people in the impoverished areas. I have not gone. I have known a number of Africans, from Kenya, and Zaire, and Sudan, and based on their descriptions, I have always backed down from traveling there. I know a couple young Americans that have journeyed there to do good work, and they have come back okay, but it is one place that I have found too intimidating to travel in just for pleasure, though its wonders seem unrivaled in many respects. It is just not the Africa of 50-60 years ago, when hardships of bugs, malaria, and dangerous creatures, and some lawlessness were your worries. There have been so many famines, so many genocides, so many mass refugee migrations and so much catastrophic interference in the environment that Africa seems to me the world's greatest petrie dish for epidemics and pandemics and new parasites. No doubt some will respond to my post and tell about how they have travelled Africa without problems, and I will respect them greatly for their adventurous spirit and read eagerly. But I just don't know if I will crank up the old motor and go for it myself at this stage of my life. What a pity. I always hoped I would make it there one day. Regardless, I mightily respect Nick Collison for going. Rock Chalk! Nick.

Jim Roth 1 year, 11 months ago

Depends where you go. It's a big continent. If you stick to the deserts and go during the dry season you will have fewer parasites and diseases to contend with. Namibia is beautiful and very tourist-friendly now. Plus, all the animals go to the watering holes in the dry season and are easy to see.

HawkKlaw 1 year, 11 months ago

I have been to Africa, but admittedly, I was only up on the northern tip in Morocco. Such a beautiful place to visit! No need to worry about parasites and diseases up there, from what I could tell. There was just a lot of great architecture and cultural stuff where I hung out. I went there in 2003 and the only thing close to a problem I had was some random dude in a park recognizing that I was American and chanting "Down With Bush!" as I walked by drunkenly with my girlfriend (pretty sure he was a bit inebriated also). I, being an anti-Bush guy myself, joined in the chant and we ended up hanging out and laughing about it for a while. It's crazy how immense the anti-Bush sentiment was throughout the entire world back then. Good times!

I also applaud Nick Collison for going over there and helping out those less-fortunate than him.

Scott MacWilliams 1 year, 11 months ago

Hey Jaybate, My inlaws have traveled to Africa extensively over the years, doing medical work at remote bush hospitals when the resident docs needed a break. My father-in-law is a retired surgeon and loved Africa and the people. They worked through various churches and met lots of great people. If you want to go and can, DO IT! Just get your inoculations done and you'll be fine. It is an incredible place.

I'm also a huge Collison fan from his early days at KU. When the Hawks came up to Vancouver, BC a few years ago, Nick was there and I got his autograph on a KU Jersey along Wayne Simien, Danny Manning and HCBS!! My ultimate KU souvenir!!

Rock Chalk!!

REHawk 1 year, 11 months ago

Cat Barber, thanks for sharing your high esteem for the visit to KU. Here's hoping that you finish out with a magnificent h.s. season; and that you return to play for the Jayhawks.

REHawk 1 year, 11 months ago

Am I wrong, or does that photo of Barber indicate that his skeletal structure makes for unique peripheral vision?

REHawk 1 year, 11 months ago

Hey, are you a complete imbecile? What in your psychological makeup triggers you to focus on such negativisms? Jayhawk fans constantly focus on a recruit's speed, reach, vertical jump. Unless you are blind, take a close look at that photo, the re-read my question.

Jack Wilson 1 year, 11 months ago

Tell me how he's wrong. There are folks with eyes that are close together, forward facing, with prominent orbital bones that have more limited peripheral vision. Folks whose orbital bones are less prominent and whose eyes are wider, have better peripheral vision. That's no rocket science. Just like a bird with eyes on side has excellent peripheral vision, but an owl doesn't (until her turns his head).

My guess is your knee-jerk response is because your racially ultra-sensitive antenna immediately perked up, in the face of a logical (albeit out of box) observation.

I'm interest though, from your perspective, why he's wrong .. If I'm misreading this.

HawkKlaw 1 year, 11 months ago

Your guess as to my response is also wrong. There's nothing racial about what REHawk said (although I can see how someone might think of the statement as insensitive). It was just his/her observation. I just didn't see anything odd about his skeletal structure, myself. But I understand why you've got to take issue with things I post now. You think I accused you of something on that other article, but in reality I just classified your statement as I saw fit. I called it as I saw it. You then got mad and played the "I'm going to try to trick him with his own words" game, spinning my words in an attempt to confuse me. It didn't work and you're still bitter. Don't be, man. I don't know you personally but I bet you're better than that.

Jack Wilson 1 year, 11 months ago

I obviously typed the above a bit too quickly. I really do value grammar and spelling .. though it may not appear that way.

REHawk 1 year, 11 months ago

Ditto. I refuse to use spellchecker; but sometimes wish that I had.

jaybate 1 year, 11 months ago

REHawk,

I have taken on so many of these appearance issues lately I am going to sit this one out except to say that I know you are gold on the race issue, and you're the coach, and if anyone ought to know something about peripheral vision in prospects, its you.

By the way, I used to have pretty damned good peripheral vision once. My current problem is that I can't find trifocals that bend around that far! :-)

REHawk 1 year, 11 months ago

Well, while I am engaged in "out of box" photo observations, I'll just carry the appearance issue a bit further, reaching into the '08 championship game to insist that Cole Aldrich was so effective against Hansbrough because of the missing tooth, so boldly noticeable in many photos. Cole could slip up on Tyler and hiss like a snake! HawkKlaw and jhwksrock, does that yank yer chains? Thanks to my supporters today. I was beginning to flog myself with a 6' bullwhip.

REHawk 1 year, 11 months ago

Thanks for the connect, kD. I like what I have heard from and about this recruit.

Lance Hobson 1 year, 11 months ago

Kenya is nice this time of year. I didn't know they had that many refugees, there are more in Tanzania and Uganda that were forced out of Rwanda. I hope he is careful in NaiROBBERY, you need to check your six in that town.

jaybate 1 year, 11 months ago

To all who commented on Africa travels, thx. Maybe I have a camera safari left in me after all. :-)

Tony Bandle 1 year, 11 months ago

Jaybate, my niece just got back from a two week stay in Ghana as part of her nursing training. The conditions were deplorable at best, but the attitude and gratefulness of the people more than made up for the bleakness of their lives.

She was on the coast and the actual shoreline was beautiful, but the locals don't have much time for swimming as they struggle to stay alive. STD's and AIDS are rampant, even in this preodominately Catholic area.

Still my niece and the other twenty young women who went, all want to go back. Africa holds a special magic that will capture your imagination.

PS Strikewso is totally right..Nairobi is total lawlessness with every bag at the airport opened and things removed in front of your very eyes. Very, very dangerous currently.

Mike Bratisax 1 year, 11 months ago

Latest on Barber:

According to Evan Daniels of Scout.com, 5-star point guard Anthony Barber, ranked as the 3rd best point guard and 14th overall prospect by Scout, has trimmed his list of schools to three. Only Alabama, Kansas, and Louisville remain.

Ed Brown 1 year, 11 months ago

Someone must have just alphabetized the choices. We all know KU comes first..always!

Jason Roberts 1 year, 11 months ago

It's just been reported by Luke Lapinski on ESPN Insider that Barber has narrowed his choices down to North Carolina State, Alabama and Kansas. He visited the Louisville campus last weekend so that's where we stand now.