Monday, September 3, 2012

Cat’ Barber: Visit to KU a perfect ‘10’

Recruit Anthony "Cat" Barber (Rivals.com contributed photo).

Recruit Anthony "Cat" Barber (Rivals.com contributed photo).

Anthony “Cat” Barber told Rivals.com he had a great time on his weekend recruiting trip to Kansas University.

In fact, Barber, a 6-foot-2 senior guard from Hampton (Va.) High, rated his visit as a 10 on a scale of 1-10.

Barber, who is ranked No. 9 nationally by Rivals.com, did not orally commit to KU after his visit. He will visit Louisville next weekend and Alabama on Sept. 15. A visit to North Carolina State is also possible.

KU target Marcus Lee also will visit Louisville this upcoming weekend. Lee, a 6-9 power forward from Deer Valley High in Antioch, Calif., is ranked No. 15 nationally. Louisville and KU are also recruiting point guards Demetrius Jackson and Chris Jones. Jackson, 6-1 senior from Marian High in Mishawaka, Ind., is ranked No. 27 by Rivals.com. Jones, 5-10 sophomore, is a former Tennessee commit who attends Northwest Florida State College.

Collison in Kenya: Former KU forward Nick Collison of the NBA’s Oklahoma City Thunder is in Kenya as part of a UNICEF field trip. He is filing a travelogue for NBA.com. Collison previously attended Basketball without Borders in 2008 in Johannesburg, South Africa.

His current travels have taken him to Kakuma and a refugee camp that is home of over 100,000 individuals displaced by conflict or famine.

“Malnutrition, chronic disease, and a lack of water in the desert climate are some of the major issues that the camp deals with on a daily basis,” Collison wrote. “Each refugee is provided with water, food rations of 2,100 calories a day and free health care. In severe cases where they are unable to treat a person they can send up to six people a month to a hospital in Nairobi. They also provide education for the children, but it is difficult with limited resources and class sizes that average 114 and can reach as high as 180 students in a small classroom.

“We saw a living space where new refugees stay until they are able to create more permanent housing. A group or family of three to five people live in a space roughly 8x8 feet and sleep on blankets on the floor. Overall, this was an eye-opening experience. I am thankful to both the NBA and UNICEF for bringing me here to meet the wonderful people who are helping refugees from across the continent find a more peaceful life. I always knew UNICEF did such great work, but being able to see first hand how they impact and save children’s lives was an incredible experience.  I encourage you all to take just a moment out of your day and learn how you can make a difference in a child’s life by visiting Unicefusa.org. I promise it will be some of the most important and rewarding time you spend today.

Collison’s blog is available at http://allball.blogs.nba.com/2012/08/30/nick-collison-details-trip-to-kenya-with-dikembe-mutombo-unicef/

Recruiting: Jermaine Lawrence, a 6-9 senior power forward from Pope John XXIII High in Sparta, N.J., who has KU on his list, is seriously considering UNLV.

CBSsports.com’s Jon Rothstein on Sunday tweeted: “Hearing UNLV picking up a lot of steam in the Jermaine Lawrence sweepstakes. Rebels have made Sin City a destination for top tier talent.”

Lawrence is ranked No. 18 by Rivals.com.

Comments

Jason Roberts 1 year, 7 months ago

It's just been reported by Luke Lapinski on ESPN Insider that Barber has narrowed his choices down to North Carolina State, Alabama and Kansas. He visited the Louisville campus last weekend so that's where we stand now.

Ed Brown 1 year, 7 months ago

Someone must have just alphabetized the choices. We all know KU comes first..always!

Mike Bratisax 1 year, 7 months ago

Latest on Barber:

According to Evan Daniels of Scout.com, 5-star point guard Anthony Barber, ranked as the 3rd best point guard and 14th overall prospect by Scout, has trimmed his list of schools to three. Only Alabama, Kansas, and Louisville remain.

Tony Bandle 1 year, 7 months ago

Jaybate, my niece just got back from a two week stay in Ghana as part of her nursing training. The conditions were deplorable at best, but the attitude and gratefulness of the people more than made up for the bleakness of their lives.

She was on the coast and the actual shoreline was beautiful, but the locals don't have much time for swimming as they struggle to stay alive. STD's and AIDS are rampant, even in this preodominately Catholic area.

Still my niece and the other twenty young women who went, all want to go back. Africa holds a special magic that will capture your imagination.

PS Strikewso is totally right..Nairobi is total lawlessness with every bag at the airport opened and things removed in front of your very eyes. Very, very dangerous currently.

jaybate 1 year, 7 months ago

To all who commented on Africa travels, thx. Maybe I have a camera safari left in me after all. :-)

Lance Hobson 1 year, 7 months ago

Kenya is nice this time of year. I didn't know they had that many refugees, there are more in Tanzania and Uganda that were forced out of Rwanda. I hope he is careful in NaiROBBERY, you need to check your six in that town.

William Blake 1 year, 7 months ago

I'm hopeful we can sign Cat. He is a guy who could become a legend in Lawrence because of his physical skills... even more, his decision-making abilities lend well to the Self doctrine. This guy has a great mind for the game. I foresee Cat buying in to the coaching staff's philosophy and becoming the best we've ever had at executing Self's game. If this happens, Cat's stats will go off-the-charts and he'll create an open door to the NBA.

Konkis Dongington III 1 year, 7 months ago

I don't always like the Shiver. Most of the website is in Flash, and as a programmer, I can't stand that. Still, they had this encouraging little nugget yesterday:

“It was cool,” said Barber about his visit to Kansas. “I want to take my visits, but it [decision] will come very soon,” added Barber about his college decision.

There are a couple of ways you could take his quote, but the way it struck me was he's sold on Kansas and is just wanting the wine and dine from 'Bama and Louisville. Of course, I have my biases.

REHawk 1 year, 7 months ago

Am I wrong, or does that photo of Barber indicate that his skeletal structure makes for unique peripheral vision?

REHawk 1 year, 7 months ago

Cat Barber, thanks for sharing your high esteem for the visit to KU. Here's hoping that you finish out with a magnificent h.s. season; and that you return to play for the Jayhawks.

Scott MacWilliams 1 year, 7 months ago

Hey Jaybate, My inlaws have traveled to Africa extensively over the years, doing medical work at remote bush hospitals when the resident docs needed a break. My father-in-law is a retired surgeon and loved Africa and the people. They worked through various churches and met lots of great people. If you want to go and can, DO IT! Just get your inoculations done and you'll be fine. It is an incredible place.

I'm also a huge Collison fan from his early days at KU. When the Hawks came up to Vancouver, BC a few years ago, Nick was there and I got his autograph on a KU Jersey along Wayne Simien, Danny Manning and HCBS!! My ultimate KU souvenir!!

Rock Chalk!!

jaybate 1 year, 7 months ago

Nick Collison has just spiked off the charts in my esteem. Helping refugees and in Africa. What many may not realize is that just going to these places in Africa takes a brass pair. There are parasites in Africa that are difficult, if not impossible to cure, if you catch them. If you think Montezuma's revenge is bad in Mexico, then raise the disease and parasite risk in touring Africa to an exponent of 10. I know many good persons go to Africa and work for the NGOs and come home without problems, but you really do have to be willing to risk yourself to go, especially if you dare to get outside your hotel and actually mingle among the people in the impoverished areas. I have not gone. I have known a number of Africans, from Kenya, and Zaire, and Sudan, and based on their descriptions, I have always backed down from traveling there. I know a couple young Americans that have journeyed there to do good work, and they have come back okay, but it is one place that I have found too intimidating to travel in just for pleasure, though its wonders seem unrivaled in many respects. It is just not the Africa of 50-60 years ago, when hardships of bugs, malaria, and dangerous creatures, and some lawlessness were your worries. There have been so many famines, so many genocides, so many mass refugee migrations and so much catastrophic interference in the environment that Africa seems to me the world's greatest petrie dish for epidemics and pandemics and new parasites. No doubt some will respond to my post and tell about how they have travelled Africa without problems, and I will respect them greatly for their adventurous spirit and read eagerly. But I just don't know if I will crank up the old motor and go for it myself at this stage of my life. What a pity. I always hoped I would make it there one day. Regardless, I mightily respect Nick Collison for going. Rock Chalk! Nick.

KanKu 1 year, 7 months ago

Hopefully this "Cat" signs with KU for the talent and depth he would bring. However I believe Frankcamp can play the point for KU regardless of who KU adds or does not add. I have seen Frankcamp play in person, get the defenses entire attention, and still move through defenders like they weren't there.

gchawk 1 year, 7 months ago

As usual, great info Jaybate, really appreciate the insight. By the way, what was Quintrel's injury?

jaybate 1 year, 7 months ago

~Jermaine Lawrence's interest in UNLV triggered me to look up UNLV HC Dave Rice and Quintrel Thomas again.

~Thomas first: Looks like Quintrel Thomas, who was out last season with an injury, appears ready to go again. He's listed at 6-8 and 245. His size might have been a very good fit with KU's current roster--the banger this year's KU team appears to lack. Regardless, it's kind of interesting to look at a UNLV season summary of his sophomore season.

"SOPHOMORE (2010-11): Named Spring 2011 Academic All-Mountain West ... Earned a team academic award for having a 3.0 or better grade point average ... Appeared in all 33 of UNLV's games and made 26 starts ... Averaged 6.7 points and 5.2 rebounds per game ... Shot 52.7 percent from the floor ... Was 10th in the MW in rebounding and 10th in blocked shots (24) ... Was second on the team in rebounds and blocks, third in free throws made and fifth in scoring and field goals made ... Had three double-doubles, including a career-high 16 rebounds (with 15 points) against Utah ... The 16 rebounds are the highest single-game total for a UNLV player since 2005 ... Scored in double figures eight times, including a career-high 19 points at New Mexico (7-12 FG) ... Scored in double figures in six of his last 13 games ... Led the team in scoring twice and in rebounding seven times." Not bad for a first season starting.

~Next to Dave Rice: played 2 seasons for Tark, then coached for Tark and next for Tark's assistant that replaced Tark for about 10 season, then to Stew Morrill's bang ball for a year, then to assist BYU's Dave Rose for a baptism in dignity, success, and the Jimmer Fredette glow. Rice has "looked at coaching from both sides now, from up and down and all around..." It will be interesting to see if he is a "do it the right way" type, or more in the Tark mold. But ethics aside, Rice could yield a very interesting brand of ball strategically. First, Rice learned defense from arguably the greatest defensive coach up to his time--Jerry Tarkanian, who coached controlled pressure every where all the time, rather than the helter skelter Nolan Richardson/Mike Anderson school of full court scramble. It will be interesting to see if Rice presses or not. Almost certainly, Rice will have added some of Morrill's bang ball to his quiver of weapons. Offense I cannot forecast, but maybe most interesting to see what unfolds. With a back ground of Tark, Morrill, and Rose, there are a number of possibilities that could unfold. Regardless, were Rice to develop a controlled full court "muscle" defense, it could be the next step in defenses. Perhaps timely, too, with the drift of refereeing in the game and the tendency today for teams to bulk up and slow things down into grind it out. Alas, this year's UNLV roster, with the exception of Quintrel, does not seem well-suited to a full court muscle defense. Maybe next year.

actorman 1 year, 7 months ago

Is it just me, or shouldn't someone named Lawrence be required to go to KU?

Konkis Dongington III 1 year, 7 months ago

I have to feel bullish about Cat Barber picking us. I think the real competition for the commit is Louisville, seeing as Cat would be replacing Peyton Siva, but Louisville has two things going against it: one, they were late to the party; two, they're the second visit.

Unless he fails to complete his visits (ie, falls in love), being in the middle is no good. You neither got he first impression, and were therefore the benchmark for future visits, nor did you get the last word. At present, that's going to 'Bama, and without the familial and geographical ties that we were up against last time we competed with 'Bama, I think we have the edge.

I don't consider Tharpe direct competition for Barber's place in the starting line up not because I lack faith in Tharpe (I don't think he'll have a breakout year, but I think he'll be much improved), but because we all know Self wants ball handlers at his 1 - 3 whenever possible. I think we'd be more likely to see Tharpe/Cat and Cat/Frankamp combinations on the floor at the same time than having him work as a backup. If there were any direct competition for his spot, it'd be Anrio Adams, and I think his development will take til his Jr season if he's going to become a classic Self combo.

JHAWK34TRUTH 1 year, 7 months ago

Mr. Barber, thanks for visting and we're glad you enjoyed your visit and we hope to have you stay even longer.

RCJHKU

gchawk 1 year, 7 months ago

I really hope this "Cat" picks KU, sounds like he'd be a great addition to our team. I'm a little surprised that as a Rivals 9th ranked player he isn't being recruited by some of the other usual suspects, i.e. UNC, Duke, UK, etc. Maybe he was and just marked them off his list. It seems that we're, KU, always going head to head with those other schools for top ranked athletes. Cat, if you thought last weekend was exciting, just wait a few more months, nothing compares to Lawrence during basketball season.

Sam Brockert 1 year, 7 months ago

Too bad it wasn't during Late Night...On a scale from 1-10 he would have rated that weekend a 15.

Tony Bandle 1 year, 7 months ago

Cat probably saw who was leaving, who was coming and who was staying and realized that there was a good chance of a lot of "prime time playing time" available for himself as well a chance to grow.

Although bennybob makes a good point about taking a recruit's comments with a grain of salt, Cat could have stopped at "great time", but to add on "10 out of 10" seems significant enough for KU Nation to note with optimism.

phogphan2000 1 year, 7 months ago

That's good news Cat, sounds like you must have fit right in with the players and staff. Don't be persuaded by the 11 herbs and spices of the chicken bucket, you'll have plenty of time to play in a corporate sponsored arena downtown in the NBA. Go to KU and get the real college experience playing on campus in one of the most storied gyms in all of basketball.

Ron Franklin 1 year, 7 months ago

It looks as if Shabazz, Kyle, & Tony are all being 'reviewed' by the NCAA right now.

bennybob 1 year, 7 months ago

Don't get overly excited. Every kid says every visit is great.

can anyone point to a kid saying they didn't like their visit? ever?

Steve Yeakel 1 year, 7 months ago

Come to KU Cat, Coach Self does a great job making complete guards who play great tram ball, like Mario and Deron, be our next great guard.

Michael Pannacciulli 1 year, 7 months ago

Sounds like we couldn't have done a better job in leaving a good impression. Once he visits the others he will see quickly how KU rises above all.

Phil Leister 1 year, 7 months ago

Can someone explain why there's an apostrophe preceding the 10 in the headline?

MrMario15 1 year, 7 months ago

Sweeeeeeeeeet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Alohahawk 1 year, 7 months ago

As a combination Jayhawk and classic movie buff I'd love to see KU sign up this "Cat on a Hot 10 List". 10 on a scale of 1 - 10. This is great news on the recruiting trail.

OakvilleJaybateNightmare 1 year, 7 months ago

Glad you enjoyed the visit Cat, sorry the weather wasn't better!! We're expecting to see you back on campus next year. See you then.