Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Notebook: Elijah Johnson starts on bench after showing up late to class

Kansas guard Elijah Johnson pushes the ball up the court against Emporia State forward Michael Harris during the first half, Tuesday, Oct. 30, 2012 at Allen Fieldhouse.

Podcast episode

Press Conferences & Post-Game Interviews

KU coach Bill Self talks after 88-54 win over ESU

KU coach Bill Self talks after his team's 88-54 victory over Emporia State on Tuesday, Oct. 30, 2012.

Download podcast

Podcast episode

Press Conferences & Post-Game Interviews

Ben McLemore, Rio Adams and Landen Lucas talk after ESU win

KU freshmen Ben McLemore, Rio Adams and Landen Lucas talk after the Jayhawks' 88-54 victory over Emporia State on Tuesday, Oct. 30, 2012.

Download podcast

Box score

KU vs. ESU

Kansas University senior point guard Elijah Johnson did not start Tuesday’s exhibition opener against Emporia State.

“Elijah was substantially late to a class today. He knows the deal. (It’s) not a big deal,” Self said.

Johnson entered for starter Naadir Tharpe for the first time at the 15:50 mark of the first half. He finished with 12 points, five assists and three rebounds with one turnover in 23 minutes.

Tharpe scored eight points off 3-of-3 shooting (2-of-2 from three) with four assists, one turnover in 17 minutes.

“What Naadir does best is shoot,” Self said. “He doesn’t shoot enough. In the first half, we went on a 26-3 run, and Naadir was a big part of that. He’s fast and he can shoot, but sometimes he defers too much. He did a lot of good things tonight.”

Lucas hits glass: Freshman forward Landen Lucas had nine rebounds and six points in 12 minutes.

“I feel the way I can contribute to this team is to come in and rebound in the minutes that I am playing,” Lucas said. “I feel like I did the best I could tonight, and I’ll continue to crash the boards the rest of the season.”

Withey honored: KU senior Jeff Withey (seven points, six boards, 18 minutes) on Monday was named honorable mention All-America by the Associated Press.

Withey, a 7-foot center from San Diego, recently was selected to the All-Big 12 preseason team by the conference coaches. Withey was the 2012 Big 12 defensive player of the year and an all-conference third-team selection who set the Kansas and Big 12 single-season blocked shots record with 140 last season.

Included in his 140 blocked shots were an NCAA Tournament-record 31 in KU’s run to the NCAA title game and a conference-games-only record of 65. Withey averaged 9.0 points and 6.3 rebounds for KU last season and shot a team-best 79.5 percent from the free throw line.

Payday: Emporia State received guarantee money of $20,000 for playing in the exhibition game.

Injuries: KU freshmen Zach Peters (shoulder), Kevin Young (hand) and Evan Manning (foot) missed the game because of injuries. They sat on the bench in street clothes.

Stats, facts: KU has won 37 straight home exhibition games dating to the 1994-95 season. ... KU is 6-0 vs. ESU in exhibitions. ... Bill Self is 19-0 in home exhibitions at KU. ... KU's 23 assists were the most in an exhibition since Nov. 3, 2009, when the Jayhawks collected 24 assists vs. Fort Hays State. ... KU hit 54.4 percent of its shots to ESU’s 35.8. ... KU trailed by as many as six points early but went on a 19-1 run to open a 31-15 lead. During that stretch, KU made 8-of-10 shots, including three three-point baskets. .. KU outscored Emporia State 30-7 over the final 12 minutes of the first half. ... Ellis is 22 of 31 from the field in KU’s five exhibition games this season (four in Europe).

Comments

nostradavid 1 year, 9 months ago

At least he showed up eventually. Those early classes are killer.

bville_hawk 1 year, 9 months ago

How do you know it was an early class??

Phil Leister 1 year, 9 months ago

Is it possible to get some highlights? Just wanna see McLemore and Traylor's dunks again.

Vernon Riggs 1 year, 9 months ago

If it would have been newsworthly everytime, I was late or missed a class, I would have been famous. Headlines everyday!

REHawk 1 year, 9 months ago

Well, at least Elijah's misdeed cost him only 4 minutes or so of a starting slot in this first exhibition game. As I recall, last season he and TT were benched for the first two games. Progress!

jaybate 1 year, 9 months ago

Self has decided to make sitting his starting PG a tradition! Last year TT got a night of in street clothes. This year Elijah lost his starting slot. I can hardly wait to see who will be PG next year and have to sit. :-)

Ron Franklin 1 year, 9 months ago

Whoop Whoop, I believe I saw a baby left hook from JW. Two low post scoring moves, awesome. Now, let's see 10-15 foot face up game and we'll be talking about a successful offseason, IMHO.

It's still fairly bothersome that WIthey needs to have his buttons pushed and fire lit by outside forces, and cannot seem to do it himself. I wonder what crazy tactic we'll see from Self this year to blow him up like he did last year before going on that three game tear against Baylor, KSU, and ??can't recall the third team.

I couldn't really make much of the majority of the game because of the internet-based feed jumped around and I could not really tell what 'real speed' looked like. But that being said, I was most impressed with Lucas who seemed to get all of the rebounds--I could not tell because of the net feed if he was fighting for position and had a nose for the ball coming off the rim, or if he just happened to get several lucky bounces go his way. After about his 4th or 5th rebound I thought for sure this guy has nose for understanding shot trajectory and how the ball reacts off of the rim on varying shots. If he can beef up a bit he'll be a beast in 2-3 years. He seemed to have a nice touch on the one shot I could see.

Glad to see HEM's comment re: Rio's defense. That was another observation I was not sure I was seeing correctly with the glitchy feed.

Good to be back in ball season.

Rock Chalk

HawkKlaw 1 year, 9 months ago

Good to see Bill Self saying positive things about Naadir. I thought he did some really great things too. Scoring and not turning the ball over are the reasons why he's out there, so he played his role nicely last night. Granted, he still needs work on the defensive end, but offensively I think he will be really good this year.

Kip_McSmithers 1 year, 9 months ago

"The AP preseason team consists of five first-team members and 17 honorable mention picks."

"The All-America team consists of Indiana’s Cody Zeller, Creighton’s Doug McDermott, Murray State’s Isaiah Canaan, Ohio State’s Deshaun Thomas, Lehigh’s C.J. McCollum and Michigan’s Trey Burke."

Any one else catch this?

KUFan90 1 year, 9 months ago

Normally only 5 are selected, but there was a tie in the voting for the 5th member this year so they list all 6 names.

PSM 1 year, 9 months ago

it's ok to skip classes every once in a while, we've all done it. sucks that as a KU bball player you have to like, go to every one and not even be late.

gdkadjayhawk 1 year, 9 months ago

Yah, that really sucks dude. Sleeping in after a hard night delivering pizzas?

Kevin Studer 1 year, 9 months ago

If I had a full ride, I think I could make it to class.

KANSTUCKY 1 year, 9 months ago

Congrats Jeff. Maybe the rest of our starting lineup will join you for post season awards. Don't bother looking over your shoulder because they are right behind you. Another block record? Last chance to bring it.

Kevin Studer 1 year, 9 months ago

"KU freshmen Zach Peters (shoulder), Kevin Young (hand) and Evan Manning (foot) missed the game because of injuries."

Um, Kevin Young is a senior...

Jackster 1 year, 9 months ago

Wow!!! Late for class and penalized for it. How do they know that? Does the teacher call the parent (Bill Self in this case) to report this? I do think in many ways the student/atheletes have it a little rougher than the average student.....but they get some nice perks too.

702Hawk 1 year, 9 months ago

They have guys sit at the door of the classes check making sure the athletes go or they don't leave early. This is usually for the students that need a little more guidance, Sasha didn't have them at his classes. And they use them for all sports not just the money makers.

702Hawk 1 year, 9 months ago

Did anyone notice how easy Lucas made rebounding look. Guys were pulling him and trying to jump over him but he stuck with the fundamentals and looked like a pro.

jaybate 1 year, 9 months ago

Yes, I did, and I also liked how comfortably he fell into the flow on offense. He was moving more smoothly than Jeff and Jamari at times. But it was the end of a blow out against a D2 team. Still, it gives one some hope.

REHawk 1 year, 9 months ago

Yeah, we have to keep in mind that ESU's tallest starter was 6'7". That said, we saw a future rebounding big man in Landon Lucas. Terrific opening night production and effort. Bodes well for relief minutes for Jeff, esp. since Zach is sidelined. Opportunity knocked, and LL was ready! A fine message to all the newcomers....

wrwlumpy 1 year, 9 months ago

I watched the game again last night to watch Rio play defense. Wow. Wow. !

Self says that Tharpe is a great shooter but little legs hamper his sliding moves on defense.

Rio had several 40 pt games last year and one 50+. I'd say that he's going to be in the 9 man rotation some way, somehow.

Also, you can wear your hair anyway you want it.