Sunday, October 28, 2012

Oklahoma City Thunder trade Cole Aldrich to Houston in James Harden deal

Unable to work out an extension with James Harden, the Oklahoma City Thunder traded the Sixth Man of the Year to the Houston Rockets on Saturday night, breaking up the young core of the Western Conference champions.

photo

Associated Press

Former Oklahoma City Thunder center Cole Aldrich (45) drives on Houston Rockets' Donatas Motiejunas during an NBA preseason basketball game on Oct. 10, 2012, in Hidalgo, Texas. The Thunder sent Aldrich to the Rockets as part of the James Harden trade on Saturday night.

Oklahoma City also sent former Kansas University center Cole Aldrich and forwards Daequan Cook and Lazar Hayward to Houston and acquired guards Kevin Martin and Jeremy Lamb, two first-round picks and a second-round pick in the surprising deal.

The Oct. 31 deadline to extend Harden or allow him to become a restricted free agent next July had been hanging over the Thunder from the moment they reported to training camp.

The small-market Thunder had already signed Kevin Durant, Russell Westbrook and Serge Ibaka to long-term deals, and apparently realized Harden was going to want a bigger salary than they would offer.

The Thunder got back a good scorer in Martin, who has averaged 18.4 points in his eight NBA seasons, and a promising young player in Lamb, the No. 12 pick in the draft who helped Connecticut win the 2011 NCAA championship. He led Houston's summer league team in scoring with 20 points per game.

The Rockets rebuilt their roster in the offseason and hoped to land Dwight Howard. Houston traded or released just about every veteran except Martin, who was in the final year of his contract and due about $13 million this season.

New Rockets point guard Jeremy Lin chimed in about the trade on Twitter.

"Really sad to see Kmart and JLamb go," Lin wrote. "...both class acts and great teammates. Welcome Harden, Cook, Aldrich and Hayward to Houston!!"

Aldrich averaged 1.7 points, 1.9 rebounds and .5 blocks in 7.1 minutes in his first two years in the NBA but was set to become the primary backup to Oklahoma City starter Kendrick Perkins in his third year. In six games for the Thunder this preseason, Aldrich averaged 6.2 points, 7.0 rebounds and 1.7 blocks in 23.7 minutes.

In Houston, he'll reunite with former KU teammate Marcus Morris, a second-year forward, and will join a Rockets center rotation that includes offseason free agent signing Omer Asik and rookie Donatas Motiejunas.

Comments

YaBoyJrod 6 years, 5 months ago

Sucks that Cole is not on a contender. Maybe he will get more minutes though.

Michael Pannacciulli 6 years, 5 months ago

downgrade for houston, wash with more upside for OKC. Harden = overrated. Cole - love him, just don't see him getting the minutes. He and the twins - I would like to see them do more in the NBA this season...

jaybate 6 years, 5 months ago

This trade is bad for Cole. Houston is worse for pollen and mold than OKC.

Jonathan Allison 6 years, 5 months ago

I tried posting this twice already, but apparently Jaybate keeps editing it.

According to webMD, OKC is in the top 20 of worst cities for allergies, and Houston is #61. Hopefully Cole will thrive here!

jaybate 6 years, 5 months ago

Thanks for the info, plastiqueIEDjayhawk.

Here's what I read: Houston is a nightmare for mold allergies.

I knew OKC was bad for pollen allergies. I wrote about that, oh, after his first season, maybe just after he was drafted. Cole needs to play by the ocean. Not 50 miles inland in one of the worst climates in America in Houston. Does flipping Galveston have a team? :-)

gee, do you think "edit" will pop up this time? :-)

jaybate 6 years, 5 months ago

Here is a list of Addidas sponsored schools on Wikipedia. Can't tell how up to date it is.

Ben Simonett 6 years, 5 months ago

Primary school competition from that list:

Louisville NC State Notre Dame

Funny, its almost like the recruits we have legitimate shots at that we aren't landing end up going to one of the other top addidas schools or something?

nah, there's no shoe company influence in recruiting at all!

ShoeCo Trivia

Did you know that Nike and Addidas apparel are made in the same factory?

jaybate 6 years, 5 months ago

ShoeCo mkt share in college football:

Nike 66%

Addidas 22%

Russell 4%

Under Armour 7%

Other unexplained

What Schools Wear What Shoes in Football

Note: assuming significant correlation with hoops. Schools not listed apparently wear Nike.

ACC: Boston College-Under Armour (UA), Georgia Tech-Russell Athletic, Maryland-UA, NC State-adidas

Big East: Cincinnati, Louisville-adidas, South Florida-UA, Temple-UA

Big 10: Indiana, Michigan, Nebraska, Wisconsin-adidas; Northwestern-UA,

Big 12: Kansas-adidas, Texas Tech-UA

Pac 12: UCLA-adidas, Utah-UA

SEC: Auburn-UA, Mississippi State-adidas, South Carolina-UA, Tennessee-adidas, Texas A&M-adidas

Independent: Notre Dame-adidas

C-USA: all schools wear Nike

Mountain West: Colorado State-Russell Athletic, Hawaii-UA

MAC: Akron, Bowling Green, Central Michigan, Eastern Michigan, UMass, Miami, Northern Illinois, Western Michigan-adidas; Ohio-Russell Athletic; Toledo-UA

Sun Belt: Arkansas State, FAU, FIU, UL-Monroe, Troy-adidas; UL-Lafayette, WKU-Russell Athletic

WAC: New Mexico State, Texas-San Antonio, Texas State-adidas

source: same Louisville link as preceding post

texashawk10 6 years, 5 months ago

Baylor is split, they wear Nike in football and women's basketball and Adidas in men's basketball.

texashawk10,

You are an absolute man! (the compliment is meant regardless of your gender)

Thx for the assist.

jaybate 6 years, 5 months ago

SMU where Larry and Janks are, just went Nike in football. Basketball too?

Matt Kenton 6 years, 5 months ago

My humble advice, start a blog, then post links to your blog here.

jaybate 6 years, 5 months ago

My humble advice back. Don't give humble advice. Its worthless. :-)

Seriously, if I wanted to run a blog, I would run one.

But why would I? Why would anyone unless they are trying to make a buck out of it, which I'm not? All the dweebs with blogs need to flipping wake up and smell the nano particles flaking off their PCs that their nose hairs are too coarse to filter. THERE ARE BETTER THINGS TO DO WITH YOUR LIFE THAT OPEN AND MAINTAIN A BLOG, OR A STUPID FACE BOOK PAGE!!!

Have Americans lost their flipping minds in the digital age? How incredibly stupid can one be to maintain a blog, or even a face book page, when you have digital infrastructure like this kind of a page available for free?

Posting here costs nothing. I don't have to maintain anything here. Neither do you.

And it's a community. Its not some one person echo chamber like one's own blog!

If you want to waste your time creating and maintaining your own blog instead of posting here, then I've got swamp land in Belize for you cheap.

Next. :-)

Matt Kenton 6 years, 5 months ago

Alright, maybe I'll drop the humility. :)

"Running" a blog doesn't cost anything. Sites like blogger and wordpress are free and wouldn't take much more time than you spend typing comments here. I like some of your takes and info and you seem to have a good following here, so I don't think yours would be an empty echo chamber. But all these random posts at the bottom of an article about Cole being traded in the NBA? Come on. Take your sh*t to the next level. You might even get more attention and respect. Ask Rany Jazayerli, pretty sure he is not in it for the money.

Go ahead and give it a shot. I think you're smart enough to figure it out.

Jack Jones 6 years, 5 months ago

I'm afraid I'll have to go along with Matt on this one - it does seem that occasionally you may have more time on your hands....than worthwhile information to share.

jaybate 6 years, 5 months ago

Matt, Matt, Matt, read my words. Don't just look at them.

I don't want another flipping job. This is my fun. This is my work out. This is my logonasium.

Out of respect for you and care because you are a fellow Jayhawk, you really should get a mentor and learn how the world works.

I want you to go run a blog. I want you to work for free. I want you to get no pay. I want you to go listen to your self. :-)

I've been around the block sooooooo many more times than you.

If you don't get what I'm saying, then you've never really done anything professionally that amounted to anything; that you take pride in as a professional and that you risked your ball bearings on.

This is fun.

Work is work.

Never confuse the two, child.

And don't use words like "take your stuff to the next level," because it just makes you sound even more like you've never been anywhere where people are playing for money.

Really, maybe you need to go get the whizz beaten out of you over some serious money a few times before you get what I'm saying.

"I think you're smart enough to figure it out."

I want you to listen very closely to what I am about to tell you, because it could change your life.

The quote above are words that make a professional in anything count you out immediately. They signal you haven't got a pair, and are afraid to get in and mix it up and grow a pair. It makes them laugh to their friends about you. It makes them say, "Kid, let me speak to your boss."

Capice?

Rule: Say what you mean. Mean what you say. And have some knowledge of what you mean to say.

Otherwise opponents are never going to take you seriously and colleagues are going to climb up your back and step on your head as they take your job and your assignments and your future.

Finally, I have no following on this board. I have board rats I like to work out with in the logonasium. You're insulting anyone else by saying they are following me. I am just here to please, teach and learn, as they are. That's all life is, after you get food and a roof. Please, teach and learn.

Now, I've given you some advice about your shortcomings. You can get better.

Next.

Matt Kenton 6 years, 5 months ago

Easy there big fella. No one is going to take your fun away. We're all friends here. Everything's going to be okay, now. Shhhh....

Quick- Sedative!

jackdavid,

Your assertion assumes that you have enough brains to understand what I am writing.

You have not convinced me yet.

Next.

KU football record after Texas

Wins 1

Moral Victories 2

Losses (who cares)

Stay with Weis for Five!!!!!

KULA 6 years, 5 months ago

Never understood why the Thunder drafted Cole in the first place, except maybe to trade him. Didn't seem to be a good fit for their style of play.

Ben Simonett 6 years, 5 months ago

NBA draft is pretty simple, Take the best player left on the board regardless of position/fit

soapisurfriend 6 years, 5 months ago

Well, he was drafted by New Orleans, but I get your point.

REHawk 6 years, 5 months ago

Seems out of tilt that an NBA 6th man expects more than 53.5 million for a 4 year deal. Little wonder that the average joe can't afford pro hoops tickets. These guys cruise to more financial perks than U.S. senators.

REHawk 6 years, 5 months ago

Speaking of financial perks, I read that Longhorn football coach Mack Brown is crying that the $300,000,000 Texas TV deal is "hurting his team." Sob.

Michael Luby 6 years, 5 months ago

I was disappointed when I saw that also. I mean, here's a guy who could have a ring next year but he bails to a non contender for more money? Where's the sense in that? Havent you got enough money already James Harden? Geesh, this is one of the many reasons I love college basketball.

Robert Brock 6 years, 5 months ago

Harden is still in the midst of his rookie contract and even though he comes off the bench, he plays starting minutes. He would be taking a pretty big pay cut to stay in OKC after they already inked massive contracts to Westbrook, Durant and Ibaka. The writing has been on the wall for a while.

Kevin Huffman 6 years, 5 months ago

Big paycut?!?!?! They were offering 4 years, $52 mil. From the sounds of things, Houston's going to end up paying him 4 years, $60 mil. So $2 mil./year more to go from a Championship caliber team to an also-ran. Um, is it really worth it? You lose out in endorsements when you're on a forgotten team vs. one in the spotlight.

REHawk,

I did not see the comment by Mack Brown about the Tayhoss Tube contract. If it is hurting Texas football, though, I have a hypothesis how.

The more I read awhile back about the Texas football network (call it TFN$ for now, regardless of whatever they may in fact call it) and how it was going into highschool football broadcasting, too, I got very curious about it. What is the connection between 10k highschool football games in Tumbleweed, TX and 80K Longhorn games in Austin?

Then I read about a Texas high school football coach saying that he was worried about the new TV contracts effect stimulating online gambling on Texas high school football games and what that might do in turn to Texas high school football.

Ding, ding, ding, ding, ding, we have a winnah!!!!!

TFN$ and on-line gambling = media-gaming complex in the Lone Star state.

Mack Brown appears sensitive to keeping Texas football the crown jewel of collegiate sports in Texas and keeping Texas football in control of its own destiny, i.e., a sovereign athletic department.

But the TFN$-Gaming Complex might now be waaaaaay bigger and more important than Longhorn football coaches, AD and Chancellors, just as ESPN/CBS/Fox and the gaming industry appear vastly more influential than any one athletic department, or even the NCAA.

Maybe Mack senses that driver of the bus is changing? And the Chancellor, the AD and head coach may soon be being asked to move to the back of the bus?

Jack Joiner 6 years, 5 months ago

Being a Thunder and KU fan I hate to see Cole leaving. I'm not suprized seeing Harden leave. Houston does not have any established centers so this will give Cole a chance to get playing time. It seems every big man that the Thunder has traded has done well with other teams.

milehighhawk 6 years, 5 months ago

One more post on this article by Jaybate & we get a free six-inch sub.

jaybate 6 years, 5 months ago

And look how flipping short they are, too.

The posts, I mean. :-)

Michael Luby 6 years, 5 months ago

that is funny! can we get it delivered?

jaybate 6 years, 5 months ago

For you, Lulu, anywhere any time. :-)

Michael Luby 6 years, 5 months ago

Sweet! Please send it to KUMC unit 66 tomorrow night after 7.
Thanks Jaybate, I dont see any of your nemesis offering subs.
What a cool guy. I dont care what those losers say about you.

jaybate 6 years, 5 months ago

Most assuredly angel of mercy and medicine.

Jeffery Barrett 6 years, 5 months ago

Can we get jaybate delivered to another website?

REHawk 6 years, 5 months ago

jb, I did not read the entire Mack Brown article, but it popped up today on my Yahoo news; and probably can be found on SI.com. If I were more of a computer wiz, I would highlight it for you.

JayHok 6 years, 5 months ago

I just read the Mack Brown article. I never considered this angle of it. He is a nonwilling hostage held captive by ESPN until he retires. Wasn't consulted by UT on the specifics. Has to work an extra six hours a week taping plus the beginning 30 minutes of each practice are taped. Then ESPN can show what they want with the UT staff nervous weekly about what the opposition is seeing on TV. This has to be a nightmare for UT's football program for the next 20 years. But they're $300 million richer. What sane football coach who wants to win would take that job after Brown leaves?6 hours a week interviewing DURING the season, my God.

Jonathan Allison 6 years, 5 months ago

Welcome to Houston, Cole!

If you and Marcus both earn effective role-player status, then I will be forced to attend some games this year.

Tony Bandle 6 years, 5 months ago

Subject: Jaybate..Question:friend or foe....posters, please sign in.

OakvilleJHawk, friend and designated architectural consultant :)

Posted with absolutely no malice or forethought.

kellerman411 6 years, 5 months ago

Where is OakvillJaybateNightmare when we need him?

Tony Bandle 6 years, 5 months ago

LOL!! :)...I think you're right!! JaybateEunich would be a good one also.

Steve Kubler 6 years, 5 months ago

News story from bleacher reports on Cole's trade and possible increased playing time. Sounds like this could be a good move for him. Barring the mold and pollen that JB is worried about.

adammag 6 years, 5 months ago

Hey Kubie I dont want to sound rude but I would not use bleacher report as a source for anything sports related.

Robin Smith 6 years, 5 months ago

He and Asik will be sharing post duties. It should be good for him. Especially since this is a building team so they will be likely to let their guys get some run.

I'm a big Montejunas fan too, but I don't really see him playing the 5.

ps (I didn't read that article, but I'm guessing this is the gist of it)