Saturday, October 27, 2012

Texas ‘woke up’ at halftime

Longhorns forced to rally for victory over KU

Podcast episode

Press Conferences & Post-Game Interviews

KU coach Charlie Weis talks following KU's 21-17 loss to Texas

KU coach Charlie Weis talks following KU's 21-17 loss to Texas on Oct. 27, 2012.

Download podcast

Box score

KU vs. Texas

Texas football coach Mack Brown, whose Longhorns barely defeated down-on-its-luck Kansas University on Saturday in Memorial Stadium, sees better days ahead for the Jayhawks.

“They are going to beat somebody here. I’m just glad it wasn’t us,” Brown said after his UT team (6-2, 3-2) needed a touchdown pass with 12 seconds left to overcome the Jayhawks, 21-17.

“They played TCU down to the wire here (20-6 loss), Oklahoma State down to the end here (20-14 loss) and did the same with us. They couldn’t have hired a better coach than Charlie (Weis). He’s a great coach. His guys are playing hard. It was a good crowd. It was loud. You can tell they are headed in the right direction.”

The Jayhawks (1-7, 0-5), who have now dropped 17 straight Big 12 Conference games, still have games remaining on the road versus Baylor, Texas Tech and West Virginia and at home versus Iowa State on Nov. 17.

“What I thought about was this was so similar to 2004,” said Brown, whose Longhorns needed a late touchdown pass to clip KU, 27-23, in ’04 in Memorial Stadium. “The 2004 (UT) team ended up in the Rose Bowl. Same end zone, 17 seconds left in 2004. There were eight seconds left in the same end zone this time.

“It was Vince Young throwing the ball to Tony Jefferies back then and Case McCoy throwing to D.J. Grant this time.”

On Saturday, backup quarterback McCoy flipped a one-yard TD pass to a wide-open Grant to erase a 17-14 deficit with 12 seconds left. McCoy, who subbed for the ineffective David Ash in the fourth quarter, led two long drives for scores, erasing a 14-7 deficit.

“I’m really proud of our guys. The objective is to win. We were in trouble, obviously,” Brown said. “Case led two drives to score very quickly. I’m glad we’ve got a second-team quarterback that can come in and win. We talk about that a lot. We knew that would happen at some point in the year.

“Bryan (Harsin, offensive coordinator) made the call to put Case in. I thought he did a great job down the stretch.”

Texas scored its first touchdown just 4:07 into the game.

“I told our guys we came out and it was too easy,” Brown said. “Three and out (vs. Kansas offense), and all of a sudden we had a quick score. We probably relaxed and didn’t give Kansas the respect they are due. This isn’t the Kansas team we played last year.

“We woke up at halftime. Our guys played better and harder the second half. The objective is to win. I’m glad we won.”

Texas trailed 14-7 at the break.

“I told ’em we’re going to win the game because we are used to winning, and we played very, very poorly and at times uninspired the first half,” Brown said. “I said, ‘We’re lucky to be at 14-7, and we blew some opportunities. We’ve got to go back and put pressure back on Kansas and win the game. It’ll probably be a fourth-quarter game. Just get yourself ready and I want everybody into it.’ I thought in the last half, everybody tried as hard as they could.”

McCoy hit five of seven passes for 68 yards and one TD; starter Ash was 8-for-16 for 63 yards and two interceptions.

“I really think our team and coaches decided just to dig down deep and decided to fight,” McCoy said. “We came out slow and sluggish. That’s something we can’t do any more the rest of the year. We got lucky and were able to get out of here with a win. Our whole team decided to dig deep.”

Texas coach Brown said he’d evaluate the QB situation after the team returned to Austin. He did not name a starter for Saturday’s game at Texas Tech.

“I’m so proud of this team that they won. Thank goodness,” Brown said. “We’re bowl-eligible. We’re 6-2, right where we were last year, and moving forward.”

Comments

akgjenkintown 1 year, 11 months ago

This is the mentality Weis needs to build for the KU football program. Quote from Mack Brown regarding their come back "I told 'em we're going to win the game because we are used to winning". As a KU football fan I had "hoped" we would win but I was expecting something bad to happen. When KU's Brown dropped that sure interception that would have iced the win, I "knew" KU would lose. Good teams make plays when the opportunity arises, bad teams don't. Hopefully KU players and fans will some day expect good things will happen at the end of a game.

gorilla10 1 year, 11 months ago

Well said! Weis is doing a good job with what he has at ku! I'm excited for the future.

90sHawk 1 year, 11 months ago

I'll admit I had a bad feeling after we kicked the FG and they still had plenty of time to go down field; heck, history says we should and that big pass play they had down the sideline only reinforced it. But once they were down on the goal line I honestly thought we had a good chance of holding them to a FG and forcing OT. Things are getting better, that's clear to see. We need to continue to see everyone's performance rise to the level our running game displays on a weekly basis. Our defense just showed what they are capable of, and they should expect this level of performance from themselves going forward. If they do, we'll win a couple before this season ends.

Robert Brown 1 year, 11 months ago

It will be interesting to see if we maintain competitiveness on the road. The defense clearly seems improved. The offense cannot score points. I remember last year's Baylor game. We needed a few yards to get a first down and run out the clock. We didn't succeed and punted on fourth down and RG3 lead the team to a tying TD. This game sounds similar and last years BU team is much better than this year's UT team. The road tests will be telling. I think the team is improving each week.

90sHawk 1 year, 11 months ago

Road tests are big for this team. They have to get comfortable playing away from Lawrence and be just as competitive. I agree with the comment about the offense. We rely 90% on the run, and despite our opponents knowing this, we are still effective, which is amazing itself. But we have to be able to throw the ball. Unfortunately, I don't really see that changing this year. I can't imagine Cummings becoming a great passer overnight at this point, though his poise has been great.

TexiCaliHawk 1 year, 11 months ago

Yes, the "...we are used to winning" comment was very appropo -- sounds very familiar to KU Basketball, right? At AFH, we miraculously 'find a way to win'; whereas in Memorial Stadium, we 'find a way to lose.' Mack said all the right things, but the truth is, we were just not 'ready' to win on Saturday . . . are you kidding me? Most programs with 2:22 on the clock and the need to make a stop with the game on the line go ahead and do so; however, we are so 'snake bitten' that we literally invent new ways to lose these types of games. THAT is why on Homecoming Weekend we still have massive areas of open seats and why our pre-game ritual of 1948 'cheers' are so lame . . . we do not know how to 'act' in a 'Big Time' football environment; whereas unfortunately, our (formerly) lowly bretheren down the road in Manhattan have figured it out -- have you seen how LOUD and 'into' the game their crowd is? Yes, I know, it reminds me of how we are in Basketball at AFH -- my simple question is: how can one school be so radically different in its support of its two highest profile sports programs? We are BEST in the Country in Basketball; pretty close to pathetic in Football . . . So Sad and Disappointing for this life-long Jayhawk who LOVES 'both' sports.

nostradavid 1 year, 11 months ago

I agree with Mack: “They are going to beat somebody here."

nuleafjhawk 1 year, 11 months ago

No passing game and no kicking game. The 13 yard punt was especially fun to watch - if you're a sadist. I find it very, very hard to believe that a Division 1 football team in the Big !2 Conference can't find someone to kickoff into the end zone, punt for more than 40 yards per kick, or hit a 40 yard field goal.