Saturday, October 27, 2012

Bobby Cremins (finally) visits fieldhouse, speaks at clinic

Hard to believe, but until Friday, college coaching legend Bobby Cremins had never stepped foot in Allen Fieldhouse.

“It’s an honor to be here. I feel I’m on hallowed ground,” said the 65-year-old Cremins, who went 570-367 overall in 31 years at Georgia Tech, College of Charleston and Appalachian State. “I feel like I’m at Augusta playing the Masters.

“The pictures on the walls are amazing. It’s like a shrine,” added Cremins, in town this weekend as featured speaker at Bill Self’s KU Coaches Clinic. “They’ve kept the history in place here. That’s what I love about it. They could modernize it and put fancy seats in it, but it would take away the meaningfulness of it.”

Cremins, who retired after 11 games last season after falling ill during his sixth season at College of Charleston, said he considered scheduling KU at his last coaching stop.

“We were already overloaded. We were playing North Carolina, Maryland, South Carolina, but it is an amazing place,” Cremins said of KU. “Walking around campus, it kind of reminds me of Duke.”

Cremins, who played his college ball at the University of South Carolina, spoke to several hundred coaches Friday about offensive schemes and general issues such as how to get a job at the collegiate level.

“I can’t thank Bill and Joe Dooley enough for contacting me and inviting me,” Cremins said. “It’s a thrill to be here.”

A longtime friend of KU assistant Dooley, Cremins until this weekend hasn’t had a chance to really get to know 10th-year KU head coach Self.

“I related the story today. I was at a Final Four in Indianapolis, and they (Jayhawks) had gotten upset in the first round,” Cremins said. “I came out of my hotel room, and one of first people I ran into in the street was Bill Self. It told me so much about him. A lot of times you have a bad first-round loss, and you don’t want to leave your hotel room. You don’t want to get out. He was out and about. He had the best attitude.

“I admired that. It’s showed me the type of person he is, how balanced he was. I remember I had some tough first-round losses, and I didn’t want to go to the Final Four. I did go, but I’d hide out a bit. He was not hiding out.”

Cremins is planning a big reunion weekend for former Georgia Tech players this season as the Yellow Jackets reveal their newly renovated arena. He also is an ambassador for the Charleston hoops program. The court at Georgia Tech is named after Cremins, who went 354-237 in 19 years at the ACC school, which is located in Atlanta.

“I do miss aspects of it. A lot of things I don’t miss,” Cremins said of coaching. “I love college basketball. I love the game. I hope to stay involved in it (perhaps in TV). My biggest thrill is I played in the ACC at South Carolina. Winning our first ACC championship was a real big thrill, being able to say I was part of that.”

Comments

Ferd Magellan 6 years, 10 months ago

“Walking around campus, it kind of reminds me of Duke.”

Since you're a legend I'll let that one slide.

BigBrett58 6 years, 10 months ago

If someone was going to say that KU reminded them of some other school, what school would you want them to say? I'm guessing that's the highest complement he could think of.

Carl Anderson 6 years, 10 months ago

No doubt. Given his background, that's the most complementary comparison he knew how to give.

Steve Reigle 6 years, 10 months ago

I consider it a compliment. The Duke campus is beautiful. Awesome. I did not attend Duke but we did take a look at the campus one time when in the area. While there we looked at UNC, as well. Duke is far more impressive. So to be compared to the Duke campus is a compliment. Had he been comparing basketball programs, on the other hand, then I'd take exception. But he wasn't.

jaybate 6 years, 10 months ago

Ok, I recalled Cremins had some scandal problems at the end of his run at Georgia Tech that reputedly triggered his departure. But when I look at his wikipage doing a quick google, I find no sign of problems.

Does anyone recall any issues with Cremins at Georgia Tech?

If no one does, the I apologize to Coach Cremins for my faulty recall.

kesmithstl1 6 years, 10 months ago

I thought either he/or a member of his family was having health issues, and if I remember right, same issues followed him to Charleston.

Saguaro_Jayhawk 6 years, 10 months ago

iirc, he left GIT in good standing.

In the early 1990s, Cremins reneged on a decision to leave GIT to become USC's head coach. That was when Eddie Fogler got the USC gig. Probably upset the USC administrators/fans more, but not a shining moment in his career.

Sure you are not thinking of Jim Harrick at UGa?

AirCapJay 6 years, 10 months ago

I think Cremins left GT to go to South Carolina. Kind of like Williams left KU to go back to NC.

Ron Franklin 6 years, 10 months ago

Any architect with a guess as to how long we'll be able to continue using Allen Fieldhouse?

I'd hate to see it go in my lifetime.

Martin Rosenblum 6 years, 10 months ago

After the investment/s made to add the Booth Hall of Fame, the new elevated exterior walkways, audio/visual enhancements and the upcoming addition to house the "Original Rules", I don't think anybody is putting an expiration date on the old girl.

I'f you're over 40, BlownJay, you'll probably get to enjoy it until the day you die!

Of course, I'm not an engineer nor an architect (but I did stay in a Holiday Inn Select...!)

jgkojak 6 years, 10 months ago

No reason it shouldn't last another 60 years at least.

That thing is built with steel beams and stone- the only possible thing that could take that place out is a tornado.

I'm sure at some point they will do a "white house restore" (when Harry Truman gutted the White House interior and started from scratch inside) - but I'm guessing that will be in 2095.

texashawk10 6 years, 10 months ago

As long as KU keeps up with basic maintenance and occasional updating, no reason KU can't use AFH for as long as they want.

Jack Wilson 6 years, 10 months ago

KC Star today .. Self indicated that Young was going to be a starter prior to the injury. That was how I read it.

I can guarantee one thing .. Self is thinking about one thing only: Michigan St.

Expect Ellis to start. And then a mish-mash of Lucas, Traylor, Wesley as the game situation dictates.

Some of the positive "skills' noted with Lucas may be given their time shine. He seems to be the one different than the others (meaning, bluntly, the word "skilled" has never been associated with Wesley or Traylor).

Weird how injuries work out. Peters. Now Young. If necessity is the mother of invention, opportunity is the father of success. Lucas has been the guy most have said .. if a big guy transfers .. it will be him. How nice would it be for him to seize this opportunity and for all of us that have said his transfer is a possibility, to be wondering how we ever would have gotten by without him?

Ben Simonett 6 years, 10 months ago

Would it be nice if Lucas seized the moment and surprised us? absolutely! But honestly how likely do you think that is to happen?

Wesley and Traylor both have experience in Self system, they're going to get the majority of the minutes opening up from injuries.

Jack Wilson 6 years, 10 months ago

benny .. I really don't know. I don't think Wesley offers much of anything other than a body. And he only plays when we're desperate for a body. Traylor at least is termed "raw" .. meaning it's implied that he has significant skill development in front of him, and thus maybe some upside. But you may be right.

Regardless, though, it looks like Lucas will get some minutes and therein lies the opportunity. Maybe I'm reaching here a bit ..

texashawk10 6 years, 10 months ago

I don't see why Self wouldn't give Lucas and Traylor extended looks early on against the cupcakes to see how they perform in game situations. We know Wesley's ceiling is as high as it will get which isn't very high. Self knows what Traylor can do in practice but practice and game situations are two different things. Lucas is definitely the biggest question mark as Self as only seen him play a handful of times. With Young out, I fully expect to see both of them get pretty good minutes until Young comes back.

texashawk10 6 years, 10 months ago

LIke I said, early on against the cupcakes.

Alex Berger 6 years, 10 months ago

Tuesday is coming!

I think our success will depend on limited TOs and how well our PF fits with Withey (whoever ends up starting). At the beginning of the season, we will probably see some sloppy basketball but I think every game will be a step forward as the young pups are learning how to play Self college ball in actual games. I like EJ as our clutch shooter this year. He was extremely impressive in the tournament last year and Withey will make sure games never get out of hand on the defensive end. Should be a great year!

Tuesday is coming!

jayhawkinATL 6 years, 10 months ago

I had the pleasure of meeting/mingling with Cremins at a friend's wedding weekend (my friend played for him at GT)...came across as a very classy guy!

TexiCaliHawk 6 years, 10 months ago

While in town for Homecoming Weekend, I actually walked by Coach Cremins right in front of the Union on Thursday afternoon, but wasn't 100% sure it was him (he was wearing a KU shirt and was talking on the phone, so I didn't want to interrupt him); however, I find myself standing in line at The Oread hotel Starbucks on Friday morning and he is right behind me, so I take a chance and introduce myself. It was indeed Bobby Cremins who was in town as a guest of both Coach Self and Coach Dooley as the guest speaker at the KU Coaches Clinic. I assure you, he could not have been more gracious and complimentary of KU and specifically, Allen Field House, as he marveled at how well preserved it has been over the years -- in fact, he was especially impressed by how the administration had resisted the temptation to turn it into a more 'modern' facility. He could not have been more genuinely excited to be asked to participate and add his name to all of those who have come before -- not one mention of Duke or any other program . . . just paid homage to the glory that is . . . KANSAS Basketball!

JayhawkPhil64 6 years, 10 months ago

Thankfully there are no comments here about the need for KU to build a new basketball arena. Some of you may remember that in this very space 5 or 6 years ago some posters were actually advocating such a travesty. Fortunately more posters were against the idea. I don't have any proof, other that hearsay from people who supposedly were friends with some of the high roller alumni, but word at the time was that Perkins wanted to build a big 20,000 seat arena outside of town but enough of those power brokers refused and pointed him toward making AFH even grander instead.