Friday, October 26, 2012

KU men’s basketball No. 7 in preseason AP poll

The Kansas men's basketball team is ranked No. 7 in the preseason Associated Press poll released Friday.

Indiana takes the top spot with 43 first-place votes, followed by Louisville, Kentucky, Ohio State and Michigan.

N.C. State, KU, Duke, Syracuse and Florida rounded out the top 10.

KU was one of only two Big 12 teams ranked; Baylor opens the season at No. 19 in the poll.

Texas, Oklahoma State, Kansas State and West Virginia all received votes but did not crack the top 25.

Associated Press preseason poll

20. San Diego St.
  21. Gonzaga
  22. Notre Dame
  23. Wisconsin
  24. Cincinnati
  25. Florida St.

Others Receiving Votes — Murray St. 59, VCU 58, Texas 46, Saint Louis 46, Minnesota 40, Butler 33, Pittsburgh 32, St. Joseph's 25, Marquette 23, Tennessee 15, Oklahoma St. 14, Kansas St. 12, Ohio 9, New Mexico 9, Georgetown 9, Miami (OH) 8, Miami (FL) 8, St. Mary's 6, West Virginia 6, Northern Iowa 5, Drexel 5, Davidson 5, Valparaiso 3, Stanford 2, Lehigh 2, Oral Roberts 1, Colorado St. 1.

Comments

Brennan Keller 5 years ago

I think NC State and Michigan are definitely overrated heading into the season. This is a good ranking for KU to start the season. Not too low and not too high. I wouldn't be surprised to see KU creep in the top 4/5 early on in the season after Michigan, Ohio state, and NC State get upset early. Another exciting season is almost underway.

Rock Chalk!

Eric Williams 5 years ago

Disagree on NC State. That is an extremely talented and balanced team. I don't want to face them again this year.

connhawk 5 years ago

Yeah, NC State has been landing a crazy amount of talent recently. They will be contenders as long as nothing horrible happens and Mark Gottfried coaches decently.

Adam Evans 5 years ago

My take on NC St. The team is stupid talented, returned most from a sweet 16 run, and have a top 5 recruiting class. Any other team gets top 10 with that. However, Gottfried has not proven what he can do with that talent. The team is not over-rated, but the coach is (for now).

texashawk10 5 years ago

I'm surprised NC State isn't #3 or 4 in both polls because that is a pretty good team that returns every relevant player from a Sweet 16 team along with adding a top 5 recruiting class that features 3 top 50 players.

As for KU's ranking, I think it's fine. If it weren't for Self's reputation I think this team would be in the 15-20 range in the preseason polls. Bill Self will have this team as a top 3 seed this year and will have them playing in KC for the first two rounds and Dallas for the second weekend of the tournament.

Jackalope7 5 years ago

I think everything looks about right in the Top 10, except for Florida. They've been overrated the last two seasons and last year's team was better than this years team. On a final note, KU ranked at #7...just so happens to be my lucky #...just sayin. RCJH!!!

Joe Satterwhite 5 years ago

Don't forget about Ohio St...thier overrated a few spots as well

Jeff Coffman 5 years ago

Indiana is the team i think is overrated.

Keeg...what did you have KU as...probably around 22 knowing him

Ben Berglund 5 years ago

7 seem good for us, I dunno about right or not. That Mich St. game is gonna be tough for us with no Peters and either no or partial KY. Either way Izzo is a hell of a coach, so I'm more scared of them than OSU with Matta at the helm. Even with a loss, though, Bill turns that into a positive (see: '07 Oral Roberts, '11 Davidson). My bet is we lose at least one of those big NC games this year, but grow a lot from it. Then we make a deep run, but next year is for the money! Either way, I'd love to see it this year for Elijah, my favorite Jayhawk to give an interview ever, our most cerebral leader. But it's gonna be a fun year or 20.

Jeffery Barrett 5 years ago

Since there is no story yet I'll post it here.

Cole Aldrich traded to Rockets! Wow!