Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Self: Tall order for KU to replace Thomas Robinson’s toughness

Kansas forward Thomas Robinson is hugged by head coach Bill Self as he is recognized before the fieldhouse during the senior speeches.

Former Kansas University forward/current Sacramento Kings rookie Thomas Robinson was trending on Twitter — his name momentarily flooding that popular website on Sunday night — after his spectacular, one-handed putback dunk over Dwight Howard of the Los Angeles Lakers.

The dunk served as a reminder of some of the power to be missing from the Jayhawks’ lineup minus the 6-foot-10, 237-pound Robinson this season.

“The thing about Thomas ... we can talk about all the things he did well. He gave us an air of toughness. It made other players think they were really tough or fierce because he led by example,” said KU coach Bill Self. “If he got one mitt on the ball, I mean he was a fierce, tough competitive rebounder. He was unbelievable at 50/50 balls.

“That’s something we’ve got to get our guys to buy into: ‘If you don’t turn the ball over and if you outrebound your opponents and get 70 percent of the 50/50 balls, you are going to win because you’ll have a lot more possessions.’ We’ll miss that at least initially. I think we’ve got some guys that are very competitive and will get good at that before all is said and done.”

An obvious replacement in the toughness department would be senior pivot Jeff Withey.

“We need him to be a presence inside. We want to play inside/out. He’s a big reason why we can do that,” Self said. “Jeff benefited from having Thomas around, but I don’t know if you realize how much Thomas benefited from having Jeff around. He (Robinson) never had to guard the other team’s best big guy. (He said), ‘If I make a mistake, Jeff can clean it up.’ Offensively would be a question mark where he (Withey) needs to take another step.”

Withey acknowledges life will be different without T-Rob.

“Thomas is a beast and obviously (as) the No. 5 pick in the draft, a great talent. Losing him will be tough,” 7-footer Withey said of Robinson. “We have talented guys who will help me out. They may not be as experienced as Thomas. Kevin (Young, senior) has been playing a long time. He knows where to be, has great energy. We have guys like Perry (Ellis, freshman) who is really talented. We will miss Thomas but I don’t want to say we’ll be hurting because we have a lot of guys year in and out that step up in that position and produce.”

Wiggins to reclassify?: Andrew Wiggins, a 6-7, 190-pound junior forward from Huntington Prep in West Virginia, is thinking about reclassifying to the recruiting class of 2013, Rivals.com reports.

Recently, KU and North Carolina have joined the mix as schools with a shot at landing Wiggins, Rivals reports. Kentucky and Florida State had long been considered his favorites if he was a member of the Class of 2014. He’s currently ranked No. 1 overall in the Class of 2014.

Embiid has two visits left: Joel Embiid, an unranked 7-foot senior center from Rock School in Gainesville, Fla., who has visited KU, Texas and Virginia, will visit Florida and Marquette in successive weekends, Rivals.com reports. The Cameroon native who has played basketball just a year, is expected to sign with a school during the Nov. 14-21 signing period.

Gordon update: Aaron Gordon, a 6-8 senior small forward from Archbishop Mitty High in San Jose, Calif., who attended Late Night in the Phog, has visited KU, Oregon, Washington and Arizona. The No. 5-rated player in the Class of 2013, plans on visiting Kentucky on Nov. 9-10 and picking a school in the spring.

“He acknowledged the love from the fans (on KU visit),” Gordon’s dad, Ed, told JayhawkSlant.com. “For me, it’s just the history of Kansas basketball that stands out the most. It’s the legends that have come through Kansas, and the legends to be. Aaron really hit it off with coach Self and the entire coaching staff. They are wonderful people and they have wonderful families. Aaron is very much a family person. We feel extremely comfortable with them.”

Comments

madamhawk 1 year, 9 months ago

T-Rob = a bad mofo!!!

Wiggins = small chance of a commit to KU.

Embiid = Yes, please!!!

Gordon as a family person = KU.

Justin Carlson 1 year, 9 months ago

I my God we as Kansas fans were truly blessed to have T-Rob in uniform for 3 very short years. The man he became, through all of his personal hardships was amazing! As a fan of Kansas basketball for the past 30+ years I am proud to say T-Rob you are for every my favorite "HAWK" ever!!

Check these out this is what could have been in his senior season! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_eWHLq...

And the man he has become! http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=...

God Bless from the Carlson family!!

Curtis Stutz 1 year, 9 months ago

I think the team should make a deal with Self that if they can get 70% of them he has to call them 70/30 balls in an interview and say "I call them 70/30 instead of 50/50 'cause my guys are unbelievable"

Glad Gordon enjoyed the visit and hit it off with the staff. I think it will work out well for KU if a few guys like Gordon and Randle wait to pick. Definitely want to see Embiid sign in November and relieve a lot of the recruiting stress from the staff so they can be more focused on the season at hand.

Alohahawk 1 year, 9 months ago

If KU could get one of any of the three - Randle, Gordon or Embiid, it will make that a tremendous class, and quite an accomplishment on Self's part and staff. Agree with phogphan2000, Embiid's signing would relieve a lot of pressure.

Jeremy Bolinger 1 year, 9 months ago

No offense, but this shouldn't be considered as quite an accomplishment. We should expect nothing less than the cream of the crop. After all, this is Kansas.

Ashwin Rao 1 year, 9 months ago

You shouldn't take anything for granted these days.

Jeremy Bolinger 1 year, 9 months ago

Meh.... I'm not taking it for granted. Self has proven over and over that he can recruit, develop, and coach.

SaltLakeHawk 1 year, 9 months ago

"these days" ?

Did something terrible recently happen to KU b-ball? Have we been playing like crap in the Big12, and not making the tourney lately? Lemme think... oh yeah: 8 straight, and NC appearance last year.

Kansas is a basketball superpower. That's an undeniable fact for days gone by, and it remains an undeniable fact "these days"

When it comes to KU b-ball, I will continue to take many things for granted. 9 straight. 1 seed. Book it.

bennybob 1 year, 9 months ago

Its already a tremendous class, but i agree with nota, classes like this should be expected

COHawk10 1 year, 9 months ago

Nonsense!

This is shaping up to be Self's best recruiting class ever, and I'm saying this being conscious of the Rush/Chalmers/Wright/Downs class. My opinion is that Jojo2 would be the crowning jewel (as I've said before, gotta have that "footer!"). This year is gonna be fun to watch these guys develop and there's no reason we can't make a deep run, but next year looks like it's the one for the money.

Brak 1 year, 9 months ago

Seriously man, your schtick is getting old. There should be no expectations to get a top class every year but as long as Self is at the helm we should expect to make a run in march regardless of how highly ranked the class is. If recruiting is your only concern go root for UK. I would prefer the guys with high character that will stick around for a few years.

bennybob 1 year, 9 months ago

your argument is essentially that one of the most historic basketball programs of all time should not be held to a higher standard than the rest on the recruiting trail.

whos the true fan?

milehighhawk 1 year, 9 months ago

By that logic we should never celebrate a good season or banner in the fieldhouse.

Enjoy it!

jaybate 1 year, 9 months ago

• Is it true Doc Sadler will be asked to give up his job to make room for Wiggin?

• Rebounds schmee-bounds, Toughness schmuffness. Thomas was the greatest thunder dunker in Kansas modern history. Noone had more posterizations than him. Thomas could have dunked on King Kong! Even young Wilt would have had to watch out for Thomas shoulders as he rim ramming on the lob!!!!!!

• What we all need is a time machine to get us through these two exhibs to the start of the season.

• Fizzouri being gone feels as good as never seeing your ex again.

• Tom Keegan needs some slack. He appears to be standing up to The Complex along with Self; that could get very lonely in a hurry in the media.

soapisurfriend 1 year, 9 months ago

Did you see that someone in the athletic department at MU hit up a strip club in Vegas and dropped the bill on the school?. There was something like 7000 charged to a school credit card, including a $2000 tip.

clevelandjayhawker 1 year, 9 months ago

"There was also a $77.83 purchase of flowers for athletic director Mike Alden."

Jack Wilson 1 year, 9 months ago

Wow .. I thought the only one that might send Alden flowers would be Vanderbilt.

jaybate 1 year, 9 months ago

soap,

Missed this one. Thx for the headsup. Must have been some dance.

texashawk10 1 year, 9 months ago

Must've been the first time he'd seen a dancer with a full set of teeth to spend that much on a girl. ;-)

Jacob Zutterman 1 year, 9 months ago

It absolutely made my day reading that on MSN the other day

Steve Gantz 1 year, 9 months ago

I don't think he could have dunked on King Kong. I mean he was a beast. And if Fay Wray was in the stands, it would've been all over, the first shutout in modern basketball history.

jaybate 1 year, 9 months ago

Forgot about Fay. But the reality is that Fay would go for TRob and TRob would go David Banner on the big gorilla. :-)

jaybate 1 year, 9 months ago

Thx for the head's up, ralster.

HawkKlaw 1 year, 9 months ago

TRob was a thunderous dunker for sure (maybe the most thunderous in Jayhawk history), but I don't think we've ever had a better overall dunker at KU than Julian Wright. That guy could fly and he was on the receiving end of so many sweet alley-oops his junior year. And I'll never forget that 360 dunk he had against Florida in Vegas! A classic.

Michael Bennett 1 year, 9 months ago

I'd bring up Kenny Gregory too, he was a high-flyer made for highlight reels

SaltLakeHawk 1 year, 9 months ago

Julian Wright's arms were so long, he could stand at half court and dunk on both baskets simultaneously.

Steve Gantz 1 year, 9 months ago

I told you a million times not to exaggerate.

jaybate 1 year, 9 months ago

Maybe KU needs to stage a Dunktastic Competition between TRob and Julian to settle this. Julian could put it down for sure.

Michael Bennett 1 year, 9 months ago

and Kenny Gregory. I heard he was pretty good too.

KansasComet 1 year, 9 months ago

This is a different year and a different KU Team. Thomas Robinson and Tyshawn Taylor are gone. There is no replacement for either. What we have is a five star recruit in Elijah Johnson that has proven he can handle the big moment. He is our point guard. He was absolutely clutch in the NCAA Tournament last year. What we also have is Perry Ellis, the National High School Player of the Year, and 4 time State Champion. This young man is a proven winner. He may not be as "tough" on the boards nor dunk as "hard" as Robinson, who cares? Last year is over with. This is the 2012-13 Kansas Jayhawks, last year is over and Ellis brings a lot to the table. He can rebound, lead the fast break, pass, and finish at the basket, making us a lot more hard to guard. I think this year's team is an upgrade over last year's team. If AW3 has a confident stroke at home and on the road, this team has a chance to be special. I see upgrades all around for this year's team. I am not saying that Robinson won't be missed. He was a great player, but it is time to move on and embrace what we have.

KGphoto 1 year, 9 months ago

For the second straight year, I'm excited about going into the season with something a little different. Last year it was "losing everyone" and starting without the pressure of a top 5 ranking. Without the looming darkness of a potential let down.

This year, it's EJ at the point. Loved TT, but the 3.5 years of erratic play leading up to his amazing second half of last season was wearing me out. And in the very end, he kind of went back to it, while EJ flourished. I'm ready for a season of all EJ. Let's see what he's got.

Then there's all the unknowns. All the potential for breakout seasons. Any number of guys could leap out and become a household name. Mac is the obvious one, drawing BRush comparisons. Ellis has all the hardware, and White's tales of 90% practice treys leave you drooling. But what about Kevin Young? I think he's gonna blow up! He completely sat out a year (no basketball) before working his way into the rotation last season, learning Bill Self's system. Then he pranced through boot camp like it was recess. He's smart, he's crafty, he puts a number in every column of the stat sheet, and what got lost in his specific role last season is that he can shoot too. He's gonna be real hard to take off the floor this year, and he's my pick for breakout performer.

Yeah. Definitely a lot of reasons to embrace this team for what they are.

KansasComet 1 year, 9 months ago

I love Young's hustle. I will always remember how he came to life in the first Ohio State game last year. I agree there is a lot of players with the potential for breakout seasons. I think that this year will be a great year for Kansas Basketball and I am excited!

Brian Stoops 1 year, 9 months ago

"Then he pranced through boot camp like it was recess."

EXCELLENT!

PHOF!

KansasComet 1 year, 9 months ago

Ralster, thanks. I enjoyed last year's team. They were one of my favorite teams. I completely understand where you are coming from. I also follow and continue to root for every Jayhawk after their time at KU has ended. I appreciate your passion for KU Basketball! I think with the '08 team, I kind of expected it, and with last year's team, I enjoyed watching them develop chemistry and show tremendous heart. I also loved the '07 team that played a UCLA team that never left the state of California until the Final Four.

SaltLakeHawk 1 year, 9 months ago

Here are my favorite Kansas teams (all tied):

2012, 2011, 2010, 2009, 2008, 2007, 2006, 2005, 2004, 2003, 2002, 2001, 2000, 1999, 1998, 1997, 1996, 1995, 1994, 1993, 1992, 1991, 1990, 1989, 1988, 1987, 1986, 1985, 1984

Honorable mention (all tied):

Least favorite teams: __

KansasComet 1 year, 9 months ago

The UCLA game still hurts. I thought we were the better team.

RJ King 1 year, 9 months ago

The Arizona loss hurt the most.

Benz Junque 1 year, 9 months ago

I 100% agree. While we all love T-Rob for what he battled through in his personal life, he had his issues on the floor. He missed a LOT of bunnies and a LOT of dunks while he was trying to throw down some of those thunderous dunks. I can't remember another player ever missing so many dunk attempts. It took him half the season to stop trying to show NBA scouts that he was a Top 10 pick and to learn how to deal with being the primary focus of the opponent's defense. This isn't a knock on T-Rob, it simply is what it is.

And Taylor? Bless his heart but I won't miss the three steps forward, two steps back, erratic play. For every game he won for us there was another he lost or almost lost due to boneheaded plays. And that carelessness from the team leader was contagious and affected EJ and others as well. We should be a much less sloppy team this year with Taylor gone.

Michael Pannacciulli 1 year, 9 months ago

Really trying to not read too far into Gordon's dads comments...but sounds very promising.

Why is Embid looking at Marquette...is that anew school on his list? I still have him going to Florida.

Michael Pannacciulli 1 year, 9 months ago

Btw...that Robinson dunk....sick.

I wish kusports could assemble a reel of his best KU dunks...

JHawk241 1 year, 9 months ago

The best thing about the dunk is the reaction of the Lakers bench.

ohjayhawk 1 year, 9 months ago

Speaking of Jayhawks now in the NBA, does anyone know why Mario Chalmers has a "DNP - Coach's decision" in every preseason game so far? If someone is out because of injury they list it as "DNP - (insert injury type here)". Seems very odd that just months after being the starting PG on an NBA championship team, he's not getting any PT. Ok, I did find a recap from the 10/18 game where it says he didn't play because of a "minor injury". I hope it's just that they're being overly cautious.

David Leathers 1 year, 9 months ago

"Coach Erik Spoelstra said that Chalmers (quadriceps), Haslem (quadriceps), Anthony (hamstring) and Varnado (hamstring) all would be reevaluated in advance of Wednesday's game. None of those four has yet to appear during the preseason."

This comment was pulled from an article that was posted yesterday from the Miami Sun Sentinel. Here is the link:

David Leathers 1 year, 9 months ago

Therefore, the answer to your question, "does anyone know why Mario Chalmers has a 'DNP - Coach's decision' in every preseason game so far?" is:

Yes, Google has all your answers.

ohjayhawk 1 year, 9 months ago

I was going to thank you for the information, until you added this last shot. I did Google it yesterday. It did not bring up that article for me. So, don't always assume people don't Google before asking.

clevelandjayhawker 1 year, 9 months ago

Are they doing a Hawks in the NBA again this year? Anyone know if Jackson, Shelby and X make teams? Is Marcus D-League? Would love a recap of who is where.

Ryan Michael 1 year, 9 months ago

It amazes me that after all this time people still don't know that it's Selby and not Shelby.

Come on people.

clevelandjayhawker 1 year, 9 months ago

didnt have my coffee, plus he was only here a year and a Shelby Cobra is what I thought he was going to be. It amazes me how many and how much people get upset over grammatical and spelling errors

Ryan Michael 1 year, 9 months ago

I'm not upset... I just find it funny that people still can't get the name right. Most of the time it's no spelling mistake or grammatical error. People actually call him Shelby.

+1 on the coffee though. Half way through the week, and another day closer to the start of basketball season! Cheers.

clevelandjayhawker 1 year, 9 months ago

How could two guys with black pugs with hats on ever be upset? Rock Chalk to being half way through the week, is it Tuesday night yet?

Kent Wells 1 year, 9 months ago

Lots of people that hop on here have nothing better to do than to bully and try to assert their opinions and are apparently very sexually frustrated English teachers. Relax and enjoy your coffee.

Ryan Michael 1 year, 9 months ago

Easy now... I took a light hearted jab at the guy for calling a player by the wrong name (on a fan forum no less)...

Apparently I struck a white knight nerve with some of you, because you and the guy below were so upset you started throwing out personal insults telling me I need a life and am sexually frustrated... Do you not see the irony in that?

Chill guys, I know the football season has been rough, but basketball is just around the corner.

Steve Gantz 1 year, 9 months ago

What he means is he's amazed people don't live and breathe KU basketball 24/7. Because if you did, you'd know it was Selby. I'm with you Cleveland, people need to get a life.

RJ King 1 year, 9 months ago

Sometimes it's poor English. Sometimes it's Siri - she doesn't always choose the intended word. And not always possible to proofread.

I think the grammar or spelling of those who join this site to spew venom is fair game for criticism, but can we lay off the well-meaning appreciative or questioning fans?

COHawk10 1 year, 9 months ago

Post below has some of the kids, but 'Keif is on the suns, Heinrich is back in Chi, Pierce still holding down bean town, Jacque is the head coach of the magic, Collison, Alrdrich still in OKC, Russell is in France, KFreeze is in Italy, Gooden is on the bucks, can't find Aaron Miles current whereabouts, but he played summer league with the bucks I think. That's all I can come up with at this second.

livinginlawrence 1 year, 9 months ago

If by Shelby you mean Selby, he is on the Memphis Grizzlies. Xavier Henry is on the New Orleans Hornets, and Darnell is on the training camp roster of the Utah Jazz. As for Marcus Morris, a trip back to the D-League sounds likely given the current makeup of the Rockets' roster--they've added a few more guys who are expected to compete for PT at his position. It seems that not all players get along well with the Rockets' coach, Kevin McHale, which makes me wonder if that may be the case for Marcus as well. Who knows.

livinginlawrence 1 year, 9 months ago

By the way, I very much hope I'm wrong about Marcus going to the D-League. When he was initially sent down there the Rockets talked about how they were viewing it as a means to get him more game experience against NBA types than he would as a reserve, sitting on the bench at Rockets games. So maybe they'll try a similar approach with the new rookies, and Marcus will get more PT...I'd sure like to see that.

Ethan Berger 1 year, 9 months ago

Let's say some how we get Wiggins, That means we would have two highly ranked wing players coming in. Would Greene decommit? Also what does that mean for post players. With Gordon we would have some time, because he would be a spring guy and we might be able to free up a schollie, but how bout Embid? Would he commit with a promise from Self there would be a spot? It seems to be we have our back court for 2013 in place, hopefully we could full out our front court. But then again, getting top players is nothing to complain about.

Tony Bandle 1 year, 9 months ago

For Kansas to be considered by the top recruits is important.

To be prepared for them not coming, is even more important.

In all sincererity, I do not feel that Randle, Robertson, Gordon or Wiggins are coming to Kansas. This doesn't mean we don't try, but it does mean we have to have a back-up plan.

And, to me, that back-up plan is Jo Jo. I feel that Joel Embiid may be a crucial recruit for KU's long term success and that we should do everything possible [ non-Calipari, that is] to put this young man in a Kansas uniform.

As always, I have great respect for my fellow posters opinions and would love to get your feedback.

Jack Wilson 1 year, 9 months ago

Right, preparing for them not coming is very important. Trusting Self to play this right. We don't want Junior Etou being the 5th guy, do we? We have that.

A little Roberson info:

Curtis Stutz 1 year, 9 months ago

In line with my lower expectations for next season I will say that a frontcourt of Ellis/Roberson would still be a good thing. So I don't want to come off as too negative on your idea that they would be a good frontcourt together.

I feel like Eric Cartman waiting 3 weeks for the Nintendo Wii to come out. In 3 weeks we'll be in the signing period, we'll have played Michigan St in Atlanta, basically we'll know so much in 3 weeks, so I'd like to freeze myself and thaw out on Nov. 13th. Unfortunately I'm in FL right now, not CO, so that'll be hard to do.

Jonathan Allison 1 year, 9 months ago

"Unfortunately I'm in FL right now" - phogphan2000

Pity.

jgkojak 1 year, 9 months ago

Translation of "family person" - he wants his son going to a place like Kansas where he will be in a family atmosphere and not a part of the semi-pro ranks like Kentucky.

Jonathan Allison 1 year, 9 months ago

OR

his son will end up at Arizona where he will be closer to home and his family can attend more of his games. But I like you interpretation better.

Curtis Stutz 1 year, 9 months ago

Well on the one hand you can only develop a guy so much in one season, on the other there's some truth to what you're saying. Cal can point to a few guys like Miller at UK or CDR or Dorsey at Memphis where he did some good things. On the other hand it's definitely not because of his great development that AD and MKG went 1-2, those guys were just that talented. I think even BBall2012 would agree that UK fans are a bit out of whack with expectations that they'll get more classes with 2 players that good with any consistency, 'cause it may never happen again.

texashawk10 1 year, 9 months ago

And that's why something similar to the baseball rule is needed for basketball. There are definitely a handful of players that are ready for the NBA straight out of high school, but most legitimately need at least 2 years to become NBA ready, but since it's out of the NCAA's hand, and the NBPA was unwilling to compromise on that issue unless it was back to the old system.

Alex Peekeaton 1 year, 9 months ago

Although they play different positions, the Harrison twins are as talented as Davis and Kidd-Gilchrest. Former NBA player and coach John Lucas (who now runs a basketball camp in Houston) said the Twins are the most talented players he has seen not named Lebron or Kobe.

Curtis Stutz 1 year, 9 months ago

Keep dreaming bball, that's why they aren't even the top2 in their class? Thanks for proving my point though. I was actually shocked Noel wanted to try to follow Davis. From the sounds of it Cauley is outplaying him at this point.

Alex Peekeaton 1 year, 9 months ago

Per Rivals, the Twins are currently #3 & #4 in 2013 class...Davis was #2 & Gilchrest #3 - What does that have to do with anything? Speaking of Cauley and people who don't think Calipari can coach or teach, I will say that by year end Cauley will be a 1st round draft pick in the 2013 NBA draft if he decides to leave. Taking the #40 player in 2012 class and making him a 1st rounder within a year should quiet the critics. Cauley is a beast...

Jack Wilson 1 year, 9 months ago

I thought Taylor would have been a better pick than Teague.

And also .. thanks for info on Roberson a few threads ago at Jefferson's. Good stuff.

Alex Peekeaton 1 year, 9 months ago

Do you realize Teague is only 19 years old? I don't think the Bulls drafted him to be starting in the next year or two. Development...Calipari has most of these guys for about 9 months. Why don't you watch the first UK/KU game in MSG and then watch the national championship game. Teague went from a turnover prone freshmen who was lost out on the court to as good a point guard in the country over the course of the year. The improvement Anthony Davis made offensively during the year was also amazing. You want development - Josh Harrelson

Jack Wilson 1 year, 9 months ago

BBall - You are exactly right on Teague. In the first game, out of control. Huge progress. Teague has more upside than Taylor (I think). I felt Taylor was a better choice because with Rose's injury, I thought Taylor might be better suited to play more immediately. But Teague will likely be the better pro.

From my perspective, Calipari is a tremendous coach. Many suggest he has tremendous talent, and that's it. But to meld that talent into a national champion demonstrates his coaching ability. Heck, he did a great job the year before, too. In my opinion, the two best coaching performances of 2011-12 were from the coaches in the championship game.

I think a lot of anti-Calipari stuff you see here is jealousy .. because of his recruiting. But also a disdain for what has clearly been a cloud of impropriety that has followed Calipari. We are proud of coach Self, and wouldn't trade him for Cal. And if you didn't have Cal, you'd gladly take Self. But the difference is, most here wouldn't want to take Calipari.

But proof will be in pudding on Cal .. if he stays free from impropriety for the next few years, that cloud will dissipate.

Would love to match up against UK in another title game sometime soon.

Alex Peekeaton 1 year, 9 months ago

Always enjoy your posts HEM because you are one of the few here who does calls it the way you see it. Teague is more physically gifted than Taylor and will probably have a better NBA career. I remember Russell Westbrook stated the kid is an absolute bull when the two played against each other during the NBA lockout. I completely agree with your jealously theory. To think Calipari started his career here and to hear the comments posted on this board about him is beyond me. I would love another championship game this year...just have to figure out a way to get rid of Indiana & Louisville!!!

Alex Peekeaton 1 year, 9 months ago

Sorry MoonwalkMafia66, but your original post stated "my point is that it doesn't seem like much development was done for him at UK, and Teague is a good example". Like I said earlier, watch both UK games with Kansas and you will see a huge difference. There is always a transition period from college to NBA especially for a 19 year old kid. Teague has all the physical talent to play in the NBA for a long time...the mental part of learning a new system and speed of the game takes more than a just a summer.

Curtis Stutz 1 year, 9 months ago

Okay, I want to officially apologize to all of kusports.com nation for feeding the UK troll, he obviously just wants to come on here to scream and shout about his own team. Guy can't understand how Lucas was exaggerating about kids at his camp, zero capacity for reason. Just a nut, I'll ignore any future comments.

Tony Bandle 1 year, 9 months ago

This coming season appears to be the year of the combination...combo forward, combo guard, etc.

If I may interject a few more.....point center, power guard, glue-guy sixth man, off-center center, center-forward, stopper combo guard/forward, forward forward, point forward, shooting center, center-forward-guard, forward center guard, guard-forward-center, combo glue-guy, shooting glue-guy, shooting stopper combo, ad infinitum.

How about a couple of big guys, two ball handlers and a lights-out shooter!!

Martin Rosenblum 1 year, 9 months ago

Don't forget the Coach/Messiah! That's the best combo we have!

gthejayhawk 1 year, 9 months ago

Hawklaw, Julian left after his sophomore year and the 360• dunk was in the big 12 championship game against Texas (I was there). But I don't recall if it was in Dallas or OKC. I THINK it was OKC.

texashawk10 1 year, 9 months ago

I like seeing some of these highly ranked guys waiting until the spring to make a decision, but I do wonder if you know you're going to wait until the spring, why not take official visits during basketball season and get a feel for each program on a gameday weekend. Because of that, I think KU's chances of landing Aaron Gordon are hurt more than with Julius Randle because Gordon has already taken 4 of his 5 official visits and is waiting until the spring so none of those 4 visits will be very fresh in his mind. Julius Randle on the other hand has only taken 1 of his official visits so if KU gets him in for a visit to the Texas game in Feburary, I think KU's chances at landing Randle go up in the spring because his visit to KU will be more fresh in his mind and he will have seen AFH in person during a big game atmosphere (College Gameday is going to be in Lawrence for that one) if KU is able to get Randle to campus that weekend. Joel Embiid on the other hand has said he would like to sign during the early signing period which starts in about 3 weeks and hopefully he sticks to that because if he pushes it back to the spring, Florida is going to be hard to beat to land him. Tyler Roberson is also supposed to make his decision in November, but I have a hard time seeing him leaving Big East country.

All that said, it would be awesome to see Self land someone in November and then land a player in the spring. I think Self is probably focusing a little more on Embiid right now because he fills a bigger need for KU than Roberson does and then make a big push for Randle either at the expense of Mason, McLemore being good enough to go pro, or one of the current bigs on the roster. I wouldn't complain about landing Gordon or Roberson either because they are both great players and Self can make it work with whatever he has on his roster, but an Embiid in the fall and Randle in the spring combo fills the needs of the team more than two more perimeter oriented 4's do.

jaybate 1 year, 9 months ago

Good question about season visits.

One reason Roberson might by-pass the Big East is that it isn't quite as BIG as it was with Syracuse and Pitt and ND in the ACC, plus WVU in the Big 12. And if Louisville and Georgetown are part of a switch to an eastern division of the Big 12, then the Big East would be the Small East. :-)

texashawk10 1 year, 9 months ago

True, but we don't know where on Roberson's priority list playing close to home is and if it's pretty high on his list, then Rutgers and Villanova are in pretty good shape to land him no matter what shape the Big East is in.

RecruitHawk 1 year, 9 months ago

Doesn't hurt at all that Wiggins older brother is a Junior at Witchita State. Could bring his brother near him for a year before he graduates and Andrew goes NBA.

Jack Wilson 1 year, 9 months ago

Does that mean the family has to live in Emporia .. that might be a deal breaker.

Priest Fontaine 1 year, 9 months ago

--Embiid replaces Withey --Gordon or Wiggens replaces B-Mac --Randle replaces Mason or Lucus' scholarship

Michael Luby 1 year, 9 months ago

TROB putback dunk = SICK SICK SICK!

Michael Luby 1 year, 9 months ago

Over Dwight Howard, "the best Center in the League" no less. Granted Howard was not even trying to block TRob out, atleast it didnt seem so. But still could rail thin Anthony Davis do that to Howard? I doubt it. Robinson has something to prove this year. He is better than Davis and should be top 3 in running for ROY.

mikehawk 1 year, 9 months ago

So back to Withey. Well, he isn't and never will be T-Rob. Knowing the KU fan base, they will expect a one to one exchange/fill-in, and he will never be able to do that for obvious reasons. Not as athletic, not as mobile, no comparable hops. The hope is he can develop and use a step out jumper effectively in more of the European style, while being able to maintain his use of blocking potential from defensive end. A little hook would be nice as he isn't really quick footed enough to get around decent big guys, but he can get over the top on them. I don't really have a feel for his passing acumen, but that would help if he is adept at finding cutters once he gets the ball in deep. He really needs that other big to step up to give defenses something else to think about and I have serious concerns about that right now. If Ben is the slasher ala Brandon was, and Perry Ellis can become a consistent scoring threat around the basket, Withey should have quite a year. If he has to play long minutes and bear the brunt of the offensive load, it will tough on the big fella.

COHawk10 1 year, 9 months ago

Considering T-Rob and Withey don't even play the same position, that would be silly expectation. T-Rob is a power forward and big Jeff is Center. Jeff is better in certain areas, though (namely shot blocking), but we are gonna have to find a way to replace like 30 ppg between Robinson and Taylor, so that's where Ellis, B-Mac and AW3 need to step up.