Originally published October 23, 2012 at 02:11p.m., updated October 24, 2012 at 12:13a.m.

Weis shakes up starters, gives Cummings nod at quarterback against Texas

Kansas quarterback Michael Cummings is swarmed by Oklahoma defenders Tony Jefferson (1) Corey Nelson (7) and Chuka Ndulue (98) during the first quarter on Saturday, Oct. 20, 2012 at Memorial Stadium in Norman.

Podcast episode

Press Conferences & Post-Game Interviews

KU coach Charlie Weis

Kansas coach Charlie Weis talks to reporters on Oct. 23, 2012, four days before his team's game against Texas.

Download podcast

Kansas University football coach Charlie Weis on Tuesday removed the “or” between the names of his two starting quarterbacks.

Red-shirt freshman Michael Cummings will start against Texas this weekend and former starter and fifth-year senior Dayne Crist will back him up.

“We’re gonna start Michael and we’ll see where it goes,” said Weis, choosing not to tip his hand about whether Crist would play at all. “At this point, when you’re 1-6 and things haven’t gone real well, I think you owe it to your team to see what you got.”

Saturday’s game against Texas — 11 a.m. at Memorial Stadium — will mark the second straight start for Cummings, and the move seems to be an indication that Weis has begun to look toward the future.

“My job is to make sure I get our football team in an upward spiral, not a downward spiral,” Weis said. “If the status quo doesn’t show any improvement, then you have to find some way to make improvements, and this is one of the ways.”

As the weeks have gone by, the list of ways to shake things up has become longer. Younger players have been given extended looks in practice or extra playing time in games, offensive and defensive schemes have been altered to accommodate the new faces, and KU’s head coach has become willing to do whatever it takes to keep his team competitive on Saturdays.

“We know what we have to do,” Weis said. “We have to coach the heck out of the guys we have and we have to go get more players. It’s really a very simple process.”

It’s not just quarterback where things have changed. On this week’s depth chart alone, four starting positions are up for grabs. Two of those have been a work in progress throughout the season, as offensive linemen Randall Dent, Gavin Howard and Aslam Sterling have rotated in and out of the right guard and right tackle spots.

But there’s real change taking place in a couple of other spots, where red-shirt freshman Damon Martin has elevated himself as a threat to Duane Zlatnik at left guard and Jimmay Mundine and Trent Smiley have joined Mike Ragone as possible starters at tight end. Chris Omigie now is listed as a first-string wide receiver, as well.

“Our coaching staff doesn’t just sit there and play people because they’re entitled,” Weis said. “I think we try our best to get our team in the best position to win.”

Martin logged extended snaps at Oklahoma and impressed his coaches.

“He always had strength,” Weis said of the 6-3, 295-pound guard. “But he didn’t play to his strength. It’s one thing when you have strength, but then you play like a slug. But when you start figuring it out mentally, then you play to your strength.”

Omigie also earned his spot based on his performance last week.

“Each guy is unique,” Weis said. “Every position is different, but there are guys that we see getting better and better and better that we think can help us. Some of the young guys that we’ve seen in practice every day, the Greg Allens, the Tevin Shaws, the Tyree Williams and the Nas Moores, they get better every day, too. But they’re in a position where the dividends with those guys will be paid down the line.”

Weis went into great detail Tuesday about what he believed it would take to move things forward. He’s happy that his team has been competitive in most games this season and that he can count on his guys to play hard from start to finish each time out. Now, he says, it’s time for the next couple of steps.

The search for talent never is far from Weis’ mind. When asked Tuesday what he was looking for in recruiting, KU’s first-year coach painted a clear picture.

“Guys that want to come to Kansas,” he said. “Not the guys that (say), ‘Well, I have 93 offers.’ Who cares? Do you want to come to Kansas? Do you want to be a part of this? Do you want to be a part of the reason why they went from not very good to good?”

He continued his mock conversation: “‘You say you want to play, right? Well, if you can’t play here, where are you playing?’ You’d be surprised how quickly you can get ’em on your side.”

When asked what positions he was looking for, Weis ruled out quarterback, but made it clear that a talent upgrade across the board was needed.

“Every (position),” he said. “Tell me who the best player is at a position (and) we’re interested. ... Recruiting is the lifeline. Development of your own players and recruiting, that’s it. It’s not a question of whether or not we know what to do X’s and O’s. ... sometimes you better go get some Jimmys and Joes. It might help you just a tad.”

Weis has not lost his optimism about the future, and there is evidence that tomorrow could be better than today. Cummings is the starting quarterback of the present, but a longshot to hold the position next season, thanks to the presence — and steady improvement — of BYU transfer Jake Heaps.

“Michael sees Jake (at practice) every Sunday,” Weis said. “(Our other quarterbacks) know they have their work cut out if they’re gonna beat him out.”

Another player who gives the Jayhawks hope but has been sidelined this season is wide receiver Justin McCay, a transfer from Oklahoma. McCay applied for immediate eligibility before the season but was turned down twice. Weis said the uncertainty impacted McCay’s performance in the spring but added that McCay looked much better now.

“A drastic improvement,” Weis said. “I was a little concerned in the spring because, to me, he looked just a little bit like another guy.”

Weis also said Heaps and McCay had developed a strong bond while waiting their turns.

“I mean, they’re tied at the hip,” Weis said. “They’re two really good players.”

Whether it’s players that are here and are improving or guys who have yet to arrive, Weis has a precise view of what he believes the future of Kansas football will look like. And believe it or not, what has taken place so far this season is a part of it. However, in order to get there quicker, Weis outlined a couple of things his team could accomplish during the final five games of 2012 that would fast-track the progress.

“We still have to go win a conference game,” Weis said. “The other thing that I really think would be important for us is to go beat someone on the road. I don’t know if we’re gonna do either one of those things the way we played last week. But I know they’re gonna play hard for 60 minutes for five games, even if things go bad. ... At the end of the year, they have to be better football players than they are now. They can’t be stagnant.”

Patterson still iffy

Senior wide receiver Daymond Patterson remains questionable for this weekend’s game because of a head injury that forced him to miss last week’s game at Oklahoma.

“Head injuries are not something you mess with,” Weis said. “If he meets with the doctors and he’s still woozy or has headaches, what am I gonna say, ‘No, you don’t have a headache.’ That’s not something you play with.”

Mangino eyeing return?

In a recent telephone interview with The Oklahoman, former KU coach Mark Mangino said he still has “the desire to win,” but that his perspective on coaching and life changed last year, when his wife, Mary Jane, was diagnosed with breast cancer.

“My family comes before the game,” Mangino said from his home in Naples, Fla. “It’s helped me get things in perspective, too. She’s joked with me, ‘Winning and losing football games isn’t really a matter of life or death is it?’ I said, ‘No, it’s not. It’s not.’”

With her final treatment out of the way and a favorable prognosis for her future, Mary Jane has given her husband a suggestion.

“Go find a coaching job,” said Mangino, repeating Mary Jane’s words. “So we’ll see what happens. I don’t know where it will be. Could be anywhere.”

In the nearly three years since he resigned under pressure at Kansas after posting a 50-48 record in eight seasons, Mangino has kept his distance from Lawrence.

“I have had no contact with anybody in the program since I left,” he told The Oklahoman. “Do I follow them? I wouldn’t say I go out of my way to follow the team, but I do have a place in my heart for the kids on the team that played for me or were recruited by me. I would love to see them have some success. ... I have no ill-will toward the football program or the players at Kansas.”

Comments

Lucas Town 1 year, 9 months ago

Nice to see that Weis waited so long to admit there needed to be a change. Good luck on Saturday QBMC.

NebraskaJayhawk 1 year, 9 months ago

Uh, and you knew at the beginning of the season, didn't you?

Lucas Town 1 year, 9 months ago

after the 3rd game, something needed to change.

Steve Reigle 1 year, 9 months ago

When someone has that much promise you give them every opportunity to get it done. You help them past the problems. You change horses only when it's obvious this horse isn't going to fly and also you have another option with better potential.

KUAlum2000 1 year, 9 months ago

A flying horse is a unicorn, right?

Stephen Johnson 1 year, 9 months ago

nope a flying horse is not a unicorn, it's a pegasus

Alfred_W 1 year, 9 months ago

I think you mean Pegasus, but point made.

Micky Baker 1 year, 9 months ago

Yeah, that's why you're making the big bucks, right?

hawk316 1 year, 9 months ago

I really really like Charlie's style. The more I listen to his coaching philosophy and watch the way he conducts himself, the more impressed I am. I mean I even enjoy listening to his press conferences!

I know our record doesn't indicate this yet, but I'm convinced that we have ourselves a great coach here (and a talented coaching staff), and this guy is going to get it done.

justinryman 1 year, 9 months ago

Can't complain about this. I'm sure coach had hisreason to wait and that's fine. I haven't been to one practice or film session to know any better.

I like it, just hope it sparks the team as a whole.

Jonathan Allison 1 year, 9 months ago

Week after week I find myself still looking forward to the next football game.

I think that we're going to get at least one more win before the end of the season.

Ron Prichard 1 year, 9 months ago

Believe it or not, you're not the only one. I have a dilemma this week because my daughter has two basketball games that conflict with the Texas game. I'm still trying to decide what to do. Immediate family or my extended family... I'm guessing my daughter and watching the game on TV will win out, but it's not an easy decision.

Even though we only have one win, I'm excited for each upcoming game. Even though I didn't think we would win against OU, I was still excited to see how we would play. Now I'm excited to see if we can run and stop the UT run game. If so, I think we have a chance this weekend. How's that for optimism?

texashawk10 1 year, 9 months ago

Shouldn't be that hard a decision. Go watch your kid play some ball. Regardless of the outcome of KU's football game, there will always be more KU football games, but you'll only have so many chances to watch your daughter play basketball. Someone may accuse me of not being a "true" fan for that answer, but take a cue from the basketball team a couple of years ago, FOE, family over everything.

Jonathan Allison 1 year, 9 months ago

I gotta agree. I am a new dad. My first child is one month old now and he's definitely more important to me than watching the KU game, even if I lived close enough to attend the games. That's why I pay extra for DVR though.

I also think that we can hang with UT on Saturday. No clue what's going to happen, but I think that we'll keep it competitive to the 4th quarter. If so, then you never know what could happen when the crowd starts to feel supported by a fan base who is hungry for the W!

KGphoto 1 year, 9 months ago

Congrats on the rug rat! Chalk up another great future KU fan. Shoot, you should have him up to speed on KU basketball by Frankamp's senior season! ; )

kufaninmo 1 year, 9 months ago

whatevs, you ever watched jr high girls basketball?

texashawk10 1 year, 9 months ago

Not since I was in junior high, and the next time I go will be when I have a daughter/niece playing in one and I will do so even at the "inconvenience" of having to wait a few hours to watch a KU game on DVR or an online replay because supporting my family and friends is more important to me than catching every KU game live.

Ian Ballinger 1 year, 9 months ago

It shouldn't matter what level of the sport it is or who's playing. It's his daughter. I'm not a father yet, but if it's MY CHILD or the KU game (and I'm a really passionate Jayhawk), I'd choose my child any day... there's not even a chance I'd reconsider.

Ron Prichard 1 year, 9 months ago

I didn't mean to stir the pot. Of course I would pick my daughter over the KU game. I do have DVR as well. However, as luck would have it, I just found out her games are at 8 and 9 a.m. Over by 10 and I'm on my way out of KC to Lawrence.

So, I get to see two basketball games with 10 year old girls (5th grade) and a KU upset all in one day!!!

Jonathan Allison 1 year, 9 months ago

maybe this same luck shines on the football team on Saturday!

flyingfinn 1 year, 9 months ago

I like the attitude and I hope that you are right!!!

702Hawk 1 year, 9 months ago

I like Mike. Give Texas hell. And remember that you have nothing to lose so go out there and have fun. Rock Chalk

Frankenhawk 1 year, 9 months ago

Hmm, I think you just came up with our mid-season team slogan.

I LIKE MIKE

Like the I LIKE IKE political slogan for Eisenhower.

Jayhawker111 1 year, 9 months ago

Crist should never see the field again....

Crist is ranked 125 out of 126 in quarterback rating....

It does not take a rocket scientist to see that he has not done the job on the field.

Move on to Cummings and let's not use the playbook as an excuse.

Cummings has been to every practice and he should know all the plays.

If Cummings cannot perform then go to the walk-on and see what he has to offer.

I believe the walk-on #17 is now third team QB ahead of Baty.

Let's look to the future and Crist is not part of the future.

Mike Barnhart 1 year, 9 months ago

Did your professor require double spacing?

If signing transfers Crist and Ragone helped us land transfers Heaps and McCay, everything worked out just fine!

Jayhawker111 1 year, 9 months ago

If you call 1 win and 5 loses from a 5th year Qb transfer "being just fine" --then you can't play on my team.

ku1otaku 1 year, 9 months ago

Silly Jayhawker. So shortsighted.

texashawk10 1 year, 9 months ago

Since you clearly know how to run a college football team so well, why didn't Zenger hire you last December?

Mike Hart 1 year, 9 months ago

Why does everyone keep harping on the fact that he is a 5th year senior? It's not like he has a wealth of college experience. He had 10 or 11 starts his ENTIRE college career in 4 years... prior to this season...some seasons of which were spent recovering from knee injuries.

Micky Baker 1 year, 9 months ago

Baty only has two years of eligibility. Are you willing to waste that this year?

bville_hawk 1 year, 9 months ago

Not sure, but I think Baty only played one year of Juco ball before coming to KU. If that's the case, then he has 3 years of eligibility plus his red shirt year (this season).

Chris Bailey 1 year, 9 months ago

I laughed out loud at this comment! It was funny! Crist was a not a risky pick up and should have played much better. Ragone has blocked well he was never a pass catcher so not sure why anyone would think he would be here. And yes I think a combination of Weis and Crist coming here helped us land Heaps and McCay. We will get better, we have no where to go but up with our QB this year. Remember statistically he's worse than Webb this season!

Jayhawk838 1 year, 9 months ago

How do you know Jablonski is over Baty?

Sayers44 1 year, 9 months ago

Baty running scout team with Heaps ..Jablonsky has moved up --hopefully behind Cummings..

Mike Hart 1 year, 9 months ago

Rip on Crist all you want.. and maybe he missed a TD or two to a WR in the endzone... but we haven't had a WR score a TD reception all season. This isn't all on QB... it's also on lack of talent, size, and ability to get separation for our WR's,

RL 1 year, 9 months ago

Ya that makes sense if you read the papers and aren't watching the games...

Mike Hart 1 year, 9 months ago

I HAVE watched the games, that's my point, RL. How many times do you see our WR running downfield with separation from a defensive back? A handful at best. Crist isn't mobile, but right side of line can't pass-block and no WR are consistently getting open down the field. Dezmon Brisco and Kerry Meier arent' running routes for KU anymore...

David Leathers 1 year, 9 months ago

The only way that I will ever believe that is if Crist goes on to the NFL and plays decently with good players. But this will never happen, so I guess its pointless.

Mike Hart 1 year, 9 months ago

No, it's not pointless... some people are acting like 90% of our offensive problems are due to our QB play. My point is we can't pass block, particularly on right side... and we don't have playmakers at WR either. Crist has been a disappointment... hands down... but it's not all on him. This week is a real test. Texas defense ranks 107th in nation in total defense (yardage)... 90th in pass defense (256 yds/game). If we can't get a TD to a WR in this game, then we need to recognize that we have issues not just at QB but also related to WR play that has been rather pedestrian all season.

bigtex 1 year, 9 months ago

Tre had a TD at Oklahoma if the ball was not thrown at his feet, and Pick had TD's at N. Ill. and K-State that were over throws and another with Rice but was thrown in the dirt. I wish things would of worked out for Crist I think he is a great kid and has been through alot with injuries and coaching changes.

Micky Baker 1 year, 9 months ago

It isn't possible for any member of this offense to know every play yet.

Dirk Medema 1 year, 9 months ago

Absolutely, and quite ignorant of anyone that isn't part of the team to even begin to comment on the playbook. Sounds like CW brought his NFL playbook to KU and a truckload of creativity from the years on top of it. Nobody knows the whole O.

Jayhawker111 1 year, 9 months ago

I can teach midget football players in grade school how to run plays.

If Wies wants to mkae it so complex that nobody understands the plays --then that is bad coaching.

Cummings and all the other players should know the plays by now and if they don't then the system is flawed.

DanR 1 year, 9 months ago

Bingo. No one knows the whole O, even the team? WTF? Is CW some brilliant mastermind from the future? Why is he holding back?

RJ King 1 year, 9 months ago

They came close in '04 when Vince Young had UT ranked 6th. Kansas switched to previous backup Brian Luke in that game and they made a respectable showing.

Jonathan Allison 1 year, 9 months ago

Would have won it, too if not for the BCS and those big dollar signs!

Tony Bandle 1 year, 9 months ago

Add..."SUFFER A..." after the word WILL and your post will make a little more sense. Still, most of us would agree with your message. The key is, will it be a blow-out LOSS or will it be a competitive LOSS.

BROJAYHAWK 1 year, 9 months ago

UR JAYHAWK JUST NEED TO KNOW IF THEY ARE GONING TO SCORE

Ron Prichard 1 year, 9 months ago

So, Bro, looks like you answered my question. Since you just signed up last week, I'm guessing you're an OU or UT troll. Then since you say, "UR JAYHAWK" (I'm guessing you mean "Your Jayhawks"), that pretty much clinches it. Seriously, though, if you want to be a troll for another school, why not let people know who you are? Use a UT or OU avatar. I would think it would be much more fun to stir up the KU fans letting them actually know who you root for as opposed to trying to act like a bitter KU fan.

Micky Baker 1 year, 9 months ago

I hope to God you're not a student at KU. Please learn some grammar and how to spell. You can edit even after you post here.

Michael Pannacciulli 1 year, 9 months ago

Good lord man. You take the English language to a whole new level.

Eric Bernauer 1 year, 9 months ago

Romney just changed his mind on cutting the education budget.

Ron Prichard 1 year, 9 months ago

Brilliant analysis, bro. Did you actually have a point?

RJ King 1 year, 9 months ago

Separated from KUDUDE at birth.

Curtis Stutz 1 year, 9 months ago

It matters 'cause 1 win can make all the difference in giving the program a boost. Get a win over Texas and the players are pumped, recruits from Texas see that KU can beat the Longhorns, and the fan base (outside of maybe you I guess) gets excited again. Doesn't have to be this game necessarily, but this is the huge opportunity of the season. A win @KSU while also less probable, wouldn't open up recruiting as much as a win over UT. Same goes for TCU, ISU, TT, OSU, BU or WVU at this point. @OU just flat out wasn't going to happen. It would still be big to win @BU, road win in the state of Texas and all, but beating UT or OU is where it's at for program recognition, so yes, it matters.

Then throw in the fact that Cummings could end up being the QB next year, or at the least will be an excellent guy to have in case HCCW has to go to a backup or needs to run a different formation. Cummings could go 5 for 20 against UT, but if he puts together one really great drive that gets fans and the team excited for a change, that matters. Hopefully he has a couple good drives out there. UT's defense has shown some weaknesses, Weis needs to capitalize.

Micky Baker 1 year, 9 months ago

Really? Did you miss the really great drive in Manhattan led by Crist? Are these Crist haters even watching the games are they reading the UDK?

Chad Dexter 1 year, 9 months ago

What I do remember about that game is Crist turning over the ball left and right in the 2nd half of what was a close game in the first half.

doctorWho 1 year, 9 months ago

Yep, good point, man. Maybe that drive is why his QB efficiency rating is 121 (out of 122) instead of 122 for Div I-A QB's.

squawkhawk 1 year, 9 months ago

Even a blind duck finds water every now and then.

Curtis Stutz 1 year, 9 months ago

Nobody is "hating" on the kid, a lot of us just want to see a new approach. I didn't even suggest in my post that Cummings had a better chance at winning than Crist (seems Weis might feel that way) but J470 was implying that the rest of the games this season held no meaning. I disagree. I also would like to see a QB that will be around next year get some snaps. If the team and the fans feel Cummings can grow into a good QB it's a big boost to morale. So you can try to contradict something I stated, or you can just hurl insults at me. Pathetic.

jayhawk_4_life2 1 year, 9 months ago

Phogphan,

I agree mostly. I think a big win against UT makes for uplift that could very well lead to other victories this (may not but belief is the major contributor that KU can change now). I do however hate the comments (not by you) that blast Crist and talk about how he is this or that. I am not a guru by no stretch of the imagination but I do think that Crist was put in a no win situation. He has made several good and several bad passes. He, however, needs some talent around him to help him (just like every QB) to be successful. Unfortunately, we don't have the talent for a big passing game yet, so Crist talents look ( in my opinion) worse than they are.

Micky Baker 1 year, 9 months ago

I think you know exactly which one of your sentences I addressed directly.

" Cummings could go 5 for 20 against UT, but if he puts together one really great drive that gets fans and the team excited for a change, that matters."

There were several drives, with mostly all new players for Crist at that. And yes, there are fans hating on the guy. He didn't have to come to KU, but he gives this team the best team to get a win on Saturday. I hope Michael Cummings proves me wrong, but everyone saw him play the whole second half week. Not very good was it?

Ron Prichard 1 year, 9 months ago

I'm not hating on Crist, in fact I defended him and Weis vigorously for the first several games of the season. However, as I stated previously, if you watched the OSU game when we recovered the fumbled punt, Crist had two of the worst plays back to back I have ever seen a QB make. Granted, I wasn't happy with Weis playing Crist on 1st down, Cummings on 2nd, and then Crist again on 3rd, but those two plays clinched it for me. For whatever reason, Crist is not the QB we thought he would be and it seems like he has lost all confidence in his abilities. So, while I agree that we shouldn't hate on Crist, I disagree that he gives the team the best chance to win on Saturday.

Ian Ballinger 1 year, 9 months ago

Every game matters. Every game. You don't just give up mid-season because things ain't going your way. You battle through, and get ready for next year. Will we make a bowl game? No. But this year is no doubt an improvement from last year's Gill team (and I'm a fan of Turner Gill's Liberty Flames, too, so I'm not being biased).

Jonathan Allison 1 year, 9 months ago

we're not mathematically eliminated from bowl contention yet!

Boouk 1 year, 9 months ago

Not that Cummings is the answer at QB, but this was an easy choice.

oldbaldguy 1 year, 9 months ago

this saturday I am going to be out confirming the zero on my deer rifle. the first game was the last game i watched. good luck next year.

KGphoto 1 year, 9 months ago

Things I want to see from/for Cummings on Saturday:

MC unspooling a 65 yard rope to a streaking Turzilli early in the game, it'll go a long way toward keeping Texas on a leash defensively. Plus I just want to see MC's arm. : )

50-100 yards on the ground. He can do it and we know it makes it harder to cover WRs. Not just the read-option running, but taking off when you see some space, a la Collin Klein. Look for it, and don't hesitate to take what they give.

A QB draw on 2nd and long. (see, more running)

The same flea-flicker thing we did to start the Rice game, but with MC. This could be the Turzilli rocket I mention above.

Rollouts to buy him time. We saw he can throw on the run. Get him out there.

To always know where Kale Pick is. He somehow breaks so wide open, at least once a game, that you wonder if the defense knew he was eligible.

And finally, to WIN!!

Rock Chalk MC!

texashawk10 1 year, 9 months ago

Scrap the flea flicker idea, KU doesn't have the OLine to run trick plays like that. I doubt Crist would've completed that flea flicker against Rice, but he never even got a chance to look down field before he had defenders in his face.

Micky Baker 1 year, 9 months ago

You're correct. I just don't think many of these Crist haters have watched very many of these games.

Sayers44 1 year, 9 months ago

Have watched every play of every game. Statistics do not lie. Crist Qb rating is 125 out of 126 in the country. Only one guy has done worse.

Just missing the throw last week on the swing pass and then the fumble - was enough to see that Crist cannot get it done.

Weis said there was a huge difference between Crist and the other Qbs' -- Lets hope he is right --the others have to be much better than Crist. Play them and lets find out.

KGphoto 1 year, 9 months ago

That was one terrible missed block by A-Slam in one of his first Division 1 games. If he stayed in front of that guy Crist could've punted it to Pick, he was that open.

But hey, These are things I would LIKE to see. Not predictions.

KGphoto 1 year, 9 months ago

Hey, leave me alone I'm dreaming here.

Mike Hart 1 year, 9 months ago

Turzilli... 65 yard catch. Hmm... He has two catches in his career longer than 30 yards... and 65 yards would be 23 yards more than his best catch, so we shall see. He could have had another long gainer.. but he dropped that wide open bomb earlier this year.

Michael Pannacciulli 1 year, 9 months ago

Sad fall forCrist. Had pretty high hopes for him this year...

hbjayhawk 1 year, 9 months ago

I'm glad race wasn't a factor in this decision.

jayhawkdon 1 year, 9 months ago

You are an idiot for even bringing that up. You're probably a moosouri fan ahole.

texashawk10 1 year, 9 months ago

In order for KU to win, they will have to be at least +2 in turnovers AND be at least +10 in points off turnovers to win a game this season which they have yet to do this season.

SDSU: +3 in turnovers and +7 in points off turnovers

Rice: equal in turnovers and +4 in points off turnovers

TCU: +2 in turnovers and -4 in points off turnovers

NIU: +1 in turnovers and +7 in points off turnovers

KSU: -5 in turnovers and -21 in points off turnovers

OSU: +1 in turnovers and equal in points off turnovers

OU: -2 in turnovers and -14 in points off turnovers

That boils down to KU being equal in turnover margin despite only losing the turnover battle twice this year and KU being -21 in points off turnovers. Perhaps the most telling stat is that KU has forced 15 turnovers on the year, but has only scored off 5 of those turnovers for 27 points. KU is flat out not making opponents pay for their turnovers and that is just as big a factor in KU being 1-6 instead of 4-3 or even 5-2 as anything else this season. If KU can win the turnover battle AND convert those turnovers into points, then KU can win some games. I'd be willing to bet that turnovers and converting off those turnovers has played a prominent role in most of the major upsets in college football over the past few years and throughout history.

Curtis Stutz 1 year, 9 months ago

Good post, very frustrating to have seen some of the turnovers even in the opponents red zone end up yielding no points. The only thing more frustrating was watching teams pick up 50-60 yd TDs every other running play the past 2 seasons, so feeling good about getting past that for the most part this season.

jhawkrulz 1 year, 9 months ago

Would have been nice, to include margin...but good analysis.

Reuben_J_Cogburn 1 year, 9 months ago

This needed to happen.

Regardless of the results from here on out, Crist needs to remain sidelined. Unless of course Cummings gets injured. But I'm going to hope Baty gets a shot if that becomes the case. One thing I don't think Weis has elaborated on thoroughly enough is the Baty situation. I understand he hasn't been as good in practice as the other two, and he may be inexperienced.

But the kid is a gamer. He knows how to win; in high school and then JUCO national championship for God's sake. Right now, I'm less concerned with how well the starting quarterback "knows the system," and more concerned with putting someone on the field who doesn't fall apart from nerves and fear.

Memorizing the playbook, signals, audibles and reads is fantastic. But do we have someone with the intangibles to get the job done on the field?

I hate to keep going back to the old comparison of Reesing, but that is truly what we need right now. The guy could barely grip the ball, couldn't throw a spiral, had to move between his own linemen to generate a "window," and didn't know the playbook from his butt when we threw him in against Colorado in 2006, down 15. But he knew how to win. Not to mention, he had the right combination of Little Man Syndrome and a chip on his shoulder to handle the pressures of the field.

Crist has all the right stuff, minus two very big college quarterback assets. Mobility, obviously for one. And confidence. He doesn't have the confidence necessary to sling the damn ball and fight back against the odds. That's what we're lacking.

Not saying Baty has these things, but this late in a disastrous season, why not test every asset you have at your disposal. Let the kid take shot. If nothing else, you either deny or confirm Heaps' starting role next year.

We literally have nothing to lose.

Linejudgemick 1 year, 9 months ago

I have also wondered about Baty, the fact that "the kid is a gamer" and why he's not mentioned more. It has also made me wonder if they want to keep his red shirt in tact???

vd 1 year, 9 months ago

One of the reasons for Crist being the starter is his knowledge of the offense. Now we learn he has to be told which plays he will run in the game. Please explain this to me????????????????????

jayhawk_4_life2 1 year, 9 months ago

WHAT?? Every week EVERY team in America has game plans and packages and different nuances of the game. Crist was elevated for the belief that he knew the system, arm strength, experience and decision making... Obviously they didn't all pan out like everyone (at least I hope everyone on here wanted it to pan out) would have like. But I don't get this question?

Dirk Medema 1 year, 9 months ago

It's not just the QB that has to be told what package of plays are in the game plan for tis week, but the entire team. And then the entire team practces those plays during the week so that they are better prepared to execute those plays during the game.

Does that help????????????????????

okiedave 1 year, 9 months ago

Okay, now we have learned that Weis has not given our back up quarterback the same opportunity to learn the offense that Crist has had. Cummings should have had the same opportunity to learn and run the offense that Crist has had. Now I understand why Weis has been promoting Crist as the better quarterback "by far". Good Grief Weis, what kind of coaching is that?

Dirk Medema 1 year, 9 months ago

? Are you in the VD camp and think that some comment about the # of plays in a game plan somehow relates to what the QB's know or are taught about the playbook? Crist knows the playbook better because he had years to learn it at ND, so sorry that opportunity can not be given to Cummings by anyone. Good Grief Dave.

Curtis Stutz 1 year, 9 months ago

Good post Ralster, I feel like Crist received a good opportunity coming to KU, wasn't able to capitalize to this point, but he gave it a go and hats off. I just think this season HCCW is better off minimizing mistakes on offense, sticking mostly to the ground game, and hoping that rushing attack, the defense and special teams can come together for a W to give him some momentum heading into next year. We'll see how it goes with Cummings, hopefully well, but if the team doesn't have a good showing in the next 2-4 games I wouldn't be at all upset to see Weis go back to Crist and give him another shot late in the season. The most winnable conference games are yet to come against Baylor and ISU, don't care which QB can get a W, just want to see which is going to give us the best shot and if Cummings plays most of the next 2 games I think we'll have our answer.

Dirk Medema 1 year, 9 months ago

Agreed with the 1st half of this post enthusiastically, but the last sentence is an illusion. Who we all hoped Dayne would be had the ability to take Wiscy to a bowl game, but not the player Dayne turned out to be.

Heck, if the player we all hoped Dayne would be had been a reality, we would still have aspirations of a bowl game too. It's not all his fault, but there have been more than enough makable plays that would have had us sitting with at least 3 W's and talking about how we were going to get the last 3.

That's all just an illusion, though that doesn't take away from the great character that Dayne has. He just wasn't the upgrade at QB that we needed.

hotrodm 1 year, 9 months ago

Did anyone listen to 810 am radio yesterday on the Kevin ( K-State ) Keitzmen show. He was really bashing Charlie Weis. Keitzman stated that Weis was selling out his players when Charlie said he knew the X's and O's but needed more Jimmie"s and Joe"s. I think Weis needs to listen to Keitzmen's show from yesterday and call and straighten Keitzman out. Keitzman also said that Bill Snyder would never throw his players under the bus like Charlie was doing. Keitzmen used this show as an anti KU, pro K-State segment with recurits. It's time for Charlie Weis to call this loud mouth out for the idiot he is. I know Charlie Weis would make Keitzman look like a real idiot if he would confront Keitzman on the air.

Jayhawker111 1 year, 9 months ago

Weis and his high powered complex offense was ranked 124th in the nation last year at Florida... Wies left Florida and now look what Florida is doing.

While at KU, Wies is averaging 10 points a game against Big 12 competition. This is with his own QB (crist) who supposedly knows his system. Wies's offensive system is nothing special.

KU has great running backs and a good line --so there is no excuse, other than Wies is looking for excuses to cover up that his schemes are ineffective.

Sam Brockert 1 year, 9 months ago

Yes, because the chiefs did so well after he left as well...

jayhawk_4_life2 1 year, 9 months ago

here is where you have to understand sports and especially football. Charlie's offense is distinctively different from Urban Meyer's. To change from one style (Multiple motions Option with very little drop back passing offense) to another (more traditional pro-style with multiple downfield reads) takes time. I know people won't believe this but I think Florida's transition is much better due to Charlie's presence last year. There is no excuse? so when teams load up the box and bring 8 or so in. And you are running at 2.4 yds per carry and the fact that most Big 12 teams can man you up and your WR's can't get separation. That is not an excuse? Just want to know your take on actual football breakdown not some Kevin Sleesman garbage.

Chad Dexter 1 year, 9 months ago

It doesn't matter how good of a system you have if your QB can't execute. Crist has been terribly inaccurate. That has led to many more punts as well as turnovers. Get a clue. A bad QB can make a a talented team and/or a good coach look bad. Just look at the Chiefs for evidence of this.

John Thomas 1 year, 9 months ago

the coach CHOSE that QB so that is his fault.

Reuben_J_Cogburn 1 year, 9 months ago

Keitzman is an idiot. I think that sums it up.

He has no right to be on a "non-biased" radio talk show. His show should be broadcast out of Manhattan and include a K-State nomenclature of sorts. He's not an impartial sports broadcaster.

Here's how it works. KUSports.com writers should have a KU slant, Mitch Holthis should have a Chiefs slant. Tim Fitzgerland should have a K-State slant.

These are team, town and program-specfic niche broadcasters/journalists. Therefore, reading and listening to them requires the understanding of a bias in favor of the team on which they cover.

I have no problem with what Keitzman says, but he can't be so obvious about his loyalties and still call himself an unbiased sports-talk broadcaster. Much like Jack Harry attacking KU basketball every year and claiming to be impartial.

Just own up to it. You despise KU, and that's perfectly fine. Just don't try and put up a false veil of journalistic integrity.

squawkhawk 1 year, 9 months ago

I actually agree with Keitzman. Charlie is going to lose this team completely with the way he talks about them in the media. And Keitzman is right, Snyder would and has never talked about his players like Weis does publicly. And by the way, if you listen to Keitzman at all you should know that he is usually bagging on KSU and he has all the KSU fans in an uproar because he did go to KSU. They think he is a sell out whore for ratings.

MartyrMangino 1 year, 9 months ago

Luck, health, and happiness to you and your family Coach Mangino! Thank you for the good times.

Reuben_J_Cogburn 1 year, 9 months ago

Good run, Coach. Glad to hear the status of Mrs. Mangino. Good luck where ever you wind up.

JakeBarnes 1 year, 9 months ago

Coach Mangino isn't just physically a big man, he is a big man in heart, soul, and intention. I wish him and his family all the luck in the world. He gave us a chance to see what being somebody in football is like. I just hope we don't have to play against your team, wherever you go, ever.

Hammertoe 1 year, 9 months ago

The Greatest Coach in the History of Athletics in the State of Kansas is Bill S (ynder)!

Reuben_J_Cogburn 1 year, 9 months ago

You spelled it wrong, genius. S (nyder)

Not making your case I'm afraid. And spelling and grammar aside, your core arguement couldn't be more incorrect. But that's just statistics and facts talking.

Good luck, and God's Speed.

nuleafjhawk 1 year, 9 months ago

well - DUH, texashawk10. He's the Greatest Coach in the History of Athletics in the State of Kansas, as noted by toe-jam.

There's another decent coach in M-town name Bill Snyder that's not bad either.

But he ain't no Bill Synder.

JakeBarnes 1 year, 9 months ago

B.S. Snyder is a great coach considering the material he has to use and the lousy place where he has to coach, but we've had three or four basketball coaches that are/were better than he as coaches. Listen hammerhead the man who invented basketball coached at KU.

Armen Kurdian 1 year, 9 months ago

The greatest coach in Kansas ever was my soccer coach when I was in the 3rd grade. We went 0-20 that year, but I know he really didn't care.

dstnku34 1 year, 9 months ago

I should've chosen an earlier game when I got those free survey tix. I think the fan base is calling the shots now, not Weis. I think if last year's sharp attendance drop toward the end of the season hadn't happened, Dayne still plays. That's speculation, but I can't seem to arrive at any other reason why Cummings starts over Crist when Crist's numbers are better, despite the TOs. If you want to "see what you have", start Blake Jablonski. Just don't try to tell me Cummings gives KU a better chance to win. There's no evidence for it. Feelings aren't knowledge. Rock Chalk.

bjejayhawk69 1 year, 9 months ago

Crist - Seems like a great guy and good leader but unforunately he is simply immobile and inacurate. Not a good combo for any QB. I think the problem is Weis has been too loyal to him. He should have started a change to Cummings about 4 weeks ago. Is Cummings the answer - who knows yet but Crist has not and at this point isn't ever going to get it done. It can only be good to give Cummings a chance since he does have some legs which gives you more options offensively and is just as accurate or more accurate than Crist. I am disappointed Baty is not even a factor though. You would think if he had any potential he would at least be given a look.

Keitzman is a joke. He can't hide any of his bias. He only has any ratings because he refuses to give up his time slot to Petro who is light years better. Petro has more national guests in an hour than Ketizman gets in a month. His only guests are Mitch Holthus, Jack Harry and Jim Colbert.

Geekinout 1 year, 9 months ago

Was watching the pathetic Longhorn Network yesterday.. First if the coaches want to see how they are planning for KU turn it to that channel. Second, it was funny and yet interesting to hear how Mac and the other coaches aren't taking this one lightly. Either they realize if they lost this one a lot of of them will be out of a job or they know we have the talent to pull of the upset considering the many other factors going into this game. Either way, KU is on the ropes and a win here would do wonders for the future of the program. UT's run defense has been horrible this year, I hope KU's coaches can capatolize, control, and dictate the game.

okiedave 1 year, 9 months ago

Agree. KU can win this one. I smell upset.

Jackster 1 year, 9 months ago

This may not be the appropriate forum for this comment, but I felt it was important to throw this out there. We all agree that KU needs to improve on the recruiting front as we continue to go forward and build a great football tradition. I know a kid, who currently is ranked #13 in the US in the 2014 class in his position (depending on the source...Rivals, Max Preps, ESPN, etc...it varies widely...); His grandfather played for KU in the late 50's; he plays for a high school team that is currently undefeated and ranked in the top 15 in the US; he is a solid 6'5"/235 lbs and bleeds KU: he lives within 5 hours of the KU campus; (loves KU basketball...attended the summer bball camp lead by Coach Self..which sold him on KU overall) and has full ride offers from every SEC school but two. Only OSU and TX, from the Big 12, have recruited him. Here is the the big bummer....He, and his grandfather, have written letters to KU expressing his desire to play football there (with supporting video) with no reply after 4 months. I am sure many of you might say he is only a junior in high school so it can wait until his senior year, however, he has made his choice, so he does not need to worry about the recruiting process in his senior season, I think it was a miss for KU. The SEC folks know how and when to swoop in and get the guys they want early....and it works for them.