Monday, October 22, 2012

Jayhawks land commitment from Mississippi juco defensive tackle

Tedarian Johnson, a 6-foot-3, 285-pound defensive tackle from Hinds Community College in Mississippi, orally committed to KU on Monday, according to JayhawkSlant.com.

Johnson finished the 2011 season with 38 tackles and five sacks and has the potential to play either defensive tackle or end at KU. So far this season, he has recorded six tackles and two sacks.

He had planned to take an official visit to Texas Tech but changed his mind and seems set on joining the Jayhawks.

Johnson is a juco teammate of current KU commitment Andrew Bolton, a 6-3, 280-pound defensive end. He becomes the 11th member of the Class of 2013 to pledge his services to the Jayhawks.

Speaking of Bolton, he recently injured his knee and will miss the rest of the season. Despite continuing to receive calls from some big-time programs — Oklahoma, LSU, Mississippi State, among them — Bolton recently told JayhawkSlant.com that his commitment to KU was solid and he was sticking with the Jayhawks.

Here is the complete list of Class of 2013 commitments:

• Kellen Ash, LB, 6-3, 194, Parkway South High, Ballwin, Mo.

• Joey Bloomfield, OL, 6-6, 305, Ballard High, Louisville, Kent.

• Andrew Bolton, DE, 6-3, 280, Hinds C.C., Raymond, Miss.

• Montell Cozart, QB, 6-2, 180, Bishop Miege High

• Jordan Darling, QB, 6-4, 226, Shawnee Mission East High

• Marcus Jenkins-Moore, LB, 6-3, 210, Pierce C.C., Woodland Hills, Calif.

• Ben Johnson, TE, 6-5, 230, Basehor-Linwood High

• Tedarian Johnson, DT, 6-3, 285, Hinds C.C., Raymond, Miss.

• Taylor Lewis, DB, 6-0, 180, DeSoto High, DeSoto, Texas

• Dexter McDonald, DB, 6-2, 203, Butler County C.C., El Dorado, Kan.

• Colin Spencer, DB, 5-10, 179, Woodrow Wilson High, Dallas

Comments

Boouk 1 year, 9 months ago

Good get at one of the many positions where we need more depth. Hopefully we land another kicker to pair with Eric Kahn in this class. OL, WR, and the secondary are concerns for next year too. I'm worried that Bloomfield will switch over to K-State. He might start next year.

Dirk Medema 1 year, 9 months ago

There is a kicker (E Kahn?) that transferred to KU this year, and as is required is sitting out. Sounds like he would be starting if available, tho that obviously isn't saying a lot.

DXJhawk 1 year, 9 months ago

Kicker and would be nice to get a good wide receiver also. I know we will have McCay, but we lose Patterson and Pick.

Phil Leister 1 year, 9 months ago

effin a, i forgot about McCay! excellent.

MoralVictory 1 year, 9 months ago

It has to mean something when we land a recruit a couple of days after getting destroyed on television.

Also, much credit needs to go to Grunhart (sp)...the o-line has really never looked over-matched this year. At times last year, defenders almost beat the snap to Webb.

AznSnSaTioN 1 year, 9 months ago

I agree with you, Grunhart has done a great job. Even in the OU game the O-line made a lot of nice blocks for the RBs. This O-line and Tony Pierson will be a good combo next year, I love watching Tony Pierson run with the ball.

Phil Leister 1 year, 9 months ago

Watching some youtube highlighs of Jordan Darling. He looks good for a high school junior (when the video was made). It'd be great to see someone like him or Cozart develop and be a three year starter once Heaps leaves.

Cole Hogan 1 year, 9 months ago

I go to his highschool, I am also a senior, I have attended enough games htis year to see how he plays. He runs a lot, he runs too much, anytime he senses any pressure on him, he bolts, and he usually only gets 2-3 yards, although it is not uncommon for him to only get to the line of scrimmage. He has a nice arm when he chooses to use it, but it is difficult to tell at time because we don;t seem to throw the ball all that much. If you want to watch next weeks game, and any game as East rolls into the playoffs, go to www.smeharbinger.net this friday nigth at 7 pm, and you can watch a live, high quality, online stream of the game complete with student-run commentary.

Mick Allen 1 year, 9 months ago

Free State beat SME 28 to 0. Darling was 9 out of 25 throwing the ball was picked 3 times and sacked 6 times. Free State is a very good Kansas 6 A football team but this is Kansas high school football, not Texas, Florida, California or Pennsylvania quality high school football. SME beat Olathe South 3 to 0 on a rainy night. Lawrence High beat OS 34 to 27 and the LHS quarterback, Brad Straus ran and threw for over 300 yards. He leads the Sunflower League in total offense by a significant margin and will be the most valuable player in not only the Sunflower League, but statewide after being all league as a junior last year. Brad is 5' 11" and weighs 175. He is extremely elusive, quick and has great presence and can feel pressure. He is also an all league safety, punts, returns punts, and holds for extra points. He has had some contact from Division 1 schools, but primarily the interest from the schools, including KU, has been as a safety. Darling came from Texas and enrolled at SME for his senior year which I think contributed to his 3 star rating. He is 6'4' and 220, so of course everyone loves his size. He is not very quick and is not a dual threat qb. Unfortunately he seems to have some of the limitations that Dane Crist suffers from i.e. little mobility and pocket presence. There is no rule that dictates that you must be 6'4"and weigh 220 to be a quality qb, e.g. Todd Reesing was pretty fair until he suffered the groin injury his senior year. All Brad does is make play after play be it carrying the ball throwing on the roll out or sprint or finding the open lane to throw from the pocket.I believe KU offered the wrong Sunflower League quarterback.

JayDocMD 1 year, 9 months ago

"Todd Reesing was pretty fair..."

Forgive me if that's sarcasm and I missed it, otherwise that's the understatement of the year.

Mark Lindrud 1 year, 9 months ago

I'm glad to see we have a focus on defense because it has been a sore spot for us lately. Our defensive backs need a major upgrade so its nice to see we have three coming in. Hope we get a solid kicker, more receivers with size. I've said we don't have the horses to keep up with top teams, but it seems Weis is trying. I knew no matter what he needed to see what he has in talent and he is trying to address the team needs. I don't like seeing blowouts, but there is some talent to build on in the future in the field so now we need to keep finding more talent to put on that field. I do hope we find a qb because we aren't good enough to win running the ball as much as we do.

JayDocMD 1 year, 9 months ago

Glad to see another quality addition to the team. That said...

Our biggest area of need BY FAR is O-line. It doesn't matter how good Heaps to McCay might be or how good Pierson/Sims/Cox/Bourbon are if the defense is setting up camp in our backfield. We lose Hawkinson, Zlatnik, and Marrongelli and return a thus far weak right side of the line. We don't have the luxury of time to develope freshman - we need 2-3 JUCO O - lineman ASAP. Here's hoping we see some movement on that front soon.

MoralVictory 1 year, 9 months ago

Grunie can coach....can he recruit?

Kman_blue 1 year, 9 months ago

I agree, but I think the right side has shown signs of improving and RS Freshman Damon Martin looked really good against OU in the 2nd half. Jr. Gavin Howard looks solid as did Jr. Riley Spencer before he was lost for the season. Jr. Aslam Sterling also looks like he's developing nicely as well. I also think RS Freshman Luke Lurhsen, Sophomore Pat Lewandowski, RS Freshman Dylan Admire, and RS Freshman Bryan Peters all look like legit D-1 OL and we've got true freshmen Brian Beckman and Reilly Jeffers in the pipeline as well, so I don't think we're in desperate need of OL for next year.

I do agree in that you can't have too many good OL so I'm happy we're still going after some good ones in this class as well as already having a commitment from a good looking HS OL already.

lv_jhwk 1 year, 9 months ago

Six tackles, two sacks?! Am I missing something, like the majority of their season??

Kman_blue 1 year, 9 months ago

He had 38 tackles, 8 tackles for loss, 5 sacks, and 1 forced fumble last year as a freshman and he's another versatile DL who can play either the DE or DT spot and I think that versatility is a big asset in Campo's D. He had several other BCS offers as well, so several coaching staffs liked him too.

vd 1 year, 9 months ago

The point is, he played better last year. Not a good sign.

bad_dog 1 year, 9 months ago

Is the entire Juco season over?

jhawkrulz 1 year, 9 months ago

I like all the "D" positions being recruited.

The injury to Bolten might be a blessing. I think he is solid to KU, but the OU LSU will drop interest. I just hope he can make a 100% recovery. WE want you bad Bolten.

Lucas Town 1 year, 9 months ago

I just read somewhere that K-State landed the number 1 DL JuCo prospect available. Where does this guy rank? Let me see if I can find that article.

Dirk Medema 1 year, 9 months ago

2 DE Denico Autry (6'6" 245) is headed to Mississippi St. 6 DT Daniel McCullers (6'6" 380) is headed to Tennessee 10 DT Visesio Salt (6'3" 340) is headed to Utah There is also #11 to Florida, #14 to USC, #22 to Tennessee, #28 to NCState, ... but no one in the top 50 juco's are available, much less interested in KState, though KState does have some commits in the top 50 at other positions.

Lucas Town 1 year, 9 months ago

Nope he is just eyeing K-State, no verbal yet. I don't have his name because I am not an ESPN insider. These guys should come to Lawrence, play now, against the best talent.

SEsco10 1 year, 9 months ago

Bloomfield tweeted today that he's looking to do good things at KU. Still alil worried he might switch to KSU.

Micky Baker 1 year, 9 months ago

Johnson graduates from JUCO in December, so he'd be at Kansas for Spring Drills. He also mentioned there is a third player from that same team considering Kansas. Two of them have orally committed to Kansas.

Micky Baker 1 year, 9 months ago

Kevin Short, defensive back, from Butler County CC and there is another one but I lost it and can't find it now.

Micky Baker 1 year, 9 months ago

Also, Kellen Ash is racking up the sacks at LB from the edge. <<< We need pressure on opposing QBs to help our DBs.