Monday, October 22, 2012

Bill Self pleased with Jayhawks’ progress

KU coach Bill Self talks to fans at Late Night in the Phog on Friday, Oct. 12, 2012, at Allen Fieldhouse.

Overall, Bill Self likes what he’s seen at practice 10 days into the 2012-13 college basketball season.

“I think things have gone above average, (but) I’m not giddy at all,” Self, Kansas University’s 10th-year coach, said Monday, commenting on progress made since the Oct. 12 Late Night in the Phog.

“We don’t have enough stuff in. We have so many young kids (seven scholarship freshmen), we’re probably going too slow. I need to trust them to learn a whole bunch of stuff real fast so we can get closer to being prepared to play when the real season starts.

“I like our guys,” Self added. “The ball moves (on offense). We move pretty well defensively together. I think we can become really good defensively with the ability to pressure. Offensively, we don’t have two guys that can go get you 35 every night. We have a nice collection of young kids, some nice veterans. They just have to get some experience.”

Self spoke at length about his squad Monday, making the rounds on several radio talk shows while publicizing his “Courtside View” roundtable, set for 7-8:30 p.m. Nov. 1 at Crown Toyota Pavilion (info available at assistyouth.org). He had briefed the Journal-World and other print/Internet outlets about his upcoming Assists Foundation fundraiser on Friday.

“We don’t have that star power. We don’t have a lottery pick next year. If we do, it means we’ll win a lot of games because that means somebody will emerge,” Self told 810-WHB radio in Kansas City.

“Until our young guys get some experience, we’re going to rely on those veterans (seniors Elijah Johnson, Travis Releford, Jeff Withey, Kevin Young) probably to be the mainstays, the consistent guys. I like our veterans. A lot of people would like to return the three starters we have.”

KU’s older and younger players, “like each other,” Self said. “The ball moves, but we turn it over way too often. Hopefully this team will reflect the past team’s toughness because that’s one intangible I don’t think people get. That team last year liked it when you had to get four stops in a row or you knew you had no chance. Hopefully this team will get to that level, too.”

He told 610-KCSP radio that this year’s squad had the potential to be KU’s finest defensive team, “going back to the first year after the national championship (2008-09) when we had Sherron (Collins), Tyshawn (Taylor), the (Morris) twins and young Cole (Aldrich). That was a good team defensively.”

That 27-8 team won the Big 12 regular-season title and reached the Sweet 16 despite four of its five leading scorers being freshmen or sophomores.

KU will meet Emporia State in its exhibition opener at 7 p.m. a week from today in Allen Fieldhouse. KU will play host to Washburn at 7 p.m., Nov. 5 in Allen, then open for real against SE Missouri State at 7 p.m., Nov. 9, also at home.

Clinic coming: Self will hold his annual coaches clinic Friday and Saturday in Allen Fieldhouse. Former Georgia Tech head coach Bobby Cremins will speak to the coaches in attendance after Friday’s practice. To register for the clinic, go to billselfbasketballcamp.com.

Comments

Curtis Stutz 1 year, 10 months ago

1thndst or something

This is the thing, we all know how good KU was defensively last season with TT and EJ applying on ball pressure, Withey dominating the paint, Releford going it all, and TRob's athleticism even though he was a bit hamstringed by the fact he had to stay out of foul trouble. Well now BMac is coming in and Self has a lot of faith in his defensive talents, nobody will hopefully feel like they absolutely have to stay out of foul trouble (worst case might be if nobody is ready to fill in for Withey and he's that guy this year though), so just looking at that it could be a really special defensive team, and hopefully all the starters step up when it comes to scoring and make this a really tough team to defend.

Alohahawk 1 year, 10 months ago

If the Jayhawks play defense close to, or better then, what last year's team accomplished, they're going to win a lot of games on that alone. Especially the close games that go down to the wire. And if they play good defense, the offense should (should) follow, with a lot of fast breaks and fairly easy layups. This could be one of the faster teams Self has had available to him. And scoring those easy buckets could all depend on good passing during those fast breaks. Get a good lead and let the young guys get some court time and experience.

And when they are playing half-court, being patient enough to not force the issue. That's where the seniors, EJ especially, will have to rein in and control this squad of eager young colts.

One week to the 1st exhibition game. Time seems to be running very slow now that we are all excited and the season's about to began.

Rock Chalk Jayhawks!!!

RJ King 1 year, 10 months ago

"We don’t have a lottery pick next year." Translation: play your asses off Ben, Jeff, EJ.

Martin Rosenblum 1 year, 10 months ago

I can't get enough of that play!

But, don't feel bad for Dwight Howard. He only put up 19 pts, 12 rebounds and 4 blocks in that game.

JoeHawk91 1 year, 10 months ago

Watch it again and this time watch the Lakers bench - priceless!

bennybob 1 year, 10 months ago

--suggests Withey hasn't progressed as much as we'd like. Manning's absence beginning to manifest?

REHawk 1 year, 10 months ago

Classic Bill Self doublespeak. Nudging his stars.

Matt Kenton 1 year, 10 months ago

I seem to be alone on this one, but I'm not quite ready to annoint Withey a "star." I think he will be a good defensive presence this year with his shot blocking, but we'll see how much bulk he has added and how confident he plays when he gets the ball down low.

KUsmitty4 1 year, 10 months ago

Agreed. I would be very shocked if he was a lottery pick even if he has a good season. The kid has tried everything (legal) to add bulk, but just isn't there. He will be a good college big on offense, and a great defender. With that said, I am so excited about this team this year. I want to see a couple young guys break through. I have been a Releford fan ever since he unselfishly accepted a red shirt a few years ago. I am rooting for him to become that X factor slasher and hard nose defender that we need this year

IA4jayhawk 1 year, 10 months ago

Classic bennybob being a negative nancy. It must be a result of our poor recruiting...

jayhawkintexas 1 year, 10 months ago

This team could be more athletic and faster than last year's team. However, last year's team found ways to win when they weren't playing well. With so many young guys, it will be interesting to see if this team has that same ability to win when things aren't going well.

MartyrMangino 1 year, 10 months ago

BayHawk, since you are the authority on who is at which level of KU fandom, maybe you could journey over to a football conversation just once. You could tell your buddy Robin Smith who has plenty of the self righteousness donned by many a KU basketball fan and donned even more intensely by the KU basketball fan/Kansas State football fan.

Are you too busy following Kansas State football? I sense a couple frontrunners, and I don't appreciate my loyalty being questioned when this is about Robin Smith going out of his way to have opinions he doesn't like deleted.

Robin Smith 1 year, 10 months ago

this is hilarious!

what's been deleted?

Robin Smith 1 year, 10 months ago

I made that one comment...

His objective was to harass jaybate. And your objective is to harass me and anyone else who crosses your bridge?

Robin Smith 1 year, 10 months ago

I can see you've tied yourself in knots and even Alexander couldn't help.

I'm done responding to you, because, simply put, you are an unreasonable jerk.

Will you please stop harassing me and dragging my name up? I'm asking you to do this and giving you a chance to oblige. If you continue to harass me I will report you. How's that for accountability?

MartyrMangino 1 year, 10 months ago

Why do you have such a hard time when people disagree with you? And why are you acting so self-righteous when you cast the first stone asking for accounts to be deleted?

Kip_McSmithers 1 year, 10 months ago

Are you in junior high? I'd rather have Robin here giving their opinion about the topic than you, the disclaimer, or any other adolescent acting adult filling up the threads with personal and childish attacks.

jaybate 1 year, 10 months ago

ilbastardito,

How is it that you come to know what alias Robin Smith does and does not click "suggest removal" on?

To my knowledge, Robin Smith has not posted a list of which posts he has and has not clicked "suggest removal" on among serialDisclaimerer's posts.

Have you, ilbastardito, hacked into the KUSports.com's server? I believe if you have, you might want to retain counsel. :-)

Or do you not really know what Robin Smith has and has not clicked "suggest removal" on, and so are just leaving the implication that you do?

Do tell ilbastardito. :-)

jaybate 1 year, 10 months ago

ilbastardito,

So: if I understand you correctly, you don't know for a fact what list of posts Robin Smith has clicked "suggest removal" on, but find it hard to say so.

Is that about it? :-)

RJ King 1 year, 10 months ago

Dear Marty,

On which of my posts did I claim authority on levels of KU fandom? Please enlighten.

A frontrunner? My youngest child graduated KU in '11 as a 3rd generation Jayhawk. I graduated KU in '76. My circle of friends included many KU football players, a basketball player, and a few KC Royals. I moved to the Bay Area in '78. I adopted the 49-ers and the SF Giants as my "second favorite teams" since they weren't the Raiders or the A's..For 34 years, both have suffered through successful as well as pathetic seasons, but my support - like that for the Chiefs, Royals, and yes - Jayhawk football - never wavers.

My father graduated KU in '47 and worked in the athletic department and wrote for the Daily Kansan. In my living room is a framed letter written to his father indicating what a fine young man he was, signed by his boss, Mr. Forrest C. Allen. It hangs as reminder of the importance of both class and integrity.

As for my journey over to football conversations: I work in sports television. Fridays, Saturdays, and Sundays you will find me in a TV truck for 12+ hours each day. Most football conversations are fairly stale by the time I wander over - if I even care to wander over after a steady diet of national games in preparation.

You "sense" that I am a "frontrunner" for KSU football??? I don't appreciate my loyalty being questioned. There are plenty of legitimate trolls to harass. Please learn to differentiate.

Jonathan Allison 1 year, 10 months ago

The alias Robin Smith uses an avatar of Kieth Langford, however I don't think that qualifies as evidence to suggest one gender over another.

John Boyle 1 year, 10 months ago

Keith Langford not Kieth. Sorry but he is one of my favorite Jayhawks so I wanted his name spelled correctly.

Robin Smith 1 year, 10 months ago

Robin Smith is a South African-born English cricketer nicknamed Judge or Judgie for his resemblance to a judge when he grew his hair long.

jaybate 1 year, 10 months ago

• Bridging with the fallen Cremins is a great move! He was a top recruiter and knows the Bo-Wash corridor as well as any one. Bringing him back to the game chastened could help KU's staff, when Doc leaves, or put another right way convert at another rebuilding major a la LB at SMU. Always thought Cremins might have been a New Yawker who got on the wrong side of The Complex and got desperate.

• Two straight signals, first from Ben, now from Self, that Ben could be back next year. Great for KU and Ben. A second season and school year could set him on the fast, right track forever. He sounds like yet another player our high schools and media made think he was just a dumb jock, now discovering he can be a good student with a sharp mind. The real reason Self deserved a raise was that he has learned, as Phil Jackson and John Wooden did, that developing a mind in an athlete can take him to the next level in hoops and in life. Look at Wayne, Cole, Tyrel, and EJ. Probably Tyshawn, too. Lights switched on upstairs for the rest of their lives. Probably many more we don't know about. Self is a genius to pull this off amidst of the apparent corruption of D1.

Rock Chalk!

Jonathan Allison 1 year, 10 months ago

enlightening these students toward education is a genius move for Coach Self. Not only does it help KU in the obvious APR, as well as it is a selling point for KU toward parents of prospective student athletes, but has Coach also found a way to use it as a distinctive coaching advantage?

dylans 1 year, 10 months ago

I always though that Roy Williams attracted good people to play for him also. I like coaches that recruit high character kids.

Alex Wishart 1 year, 10 months ago

I know this might not be the article to post this comment on but no ones made this observation yet about recruiting.

Can we attribute getting better (higher ranked) recruits to our new assistants? Is Norm the difference maker? Is Doc pulling his weight (figuratively of course)? There was a perseived lull in recruiting the last couple years and now all of a sudden we're back on track. I know Self is an excellent recruiter and talent evaluator/developer but next years class is shaping up to be his best (in terms of ranking) in quite some time.

If we say that his assistants are better recruiters and can sell our program a little better, what does that say about the recruiting skills of Danny Manning? Furthermore, if he was the weak link during the sales part of the process, does that mean Tulsa is in for some well coached C Level players?

Robert Brock 1 year, 10 months ago

We haven't recruited a good-quality, high ranked big yet. We will have to wait to see if that happens.

Ron Prichard 1 year, 10 months ago

I know people either dismiss or forget about this, but we did get Selby (#1 recruit) two years ago and McLemore last year (#17?). Although Selby didn't pan out like we wanted and McLemore had to sit out a year, all things considered, the last two years weren't as bad recruiting wise as people remember.

dylans 1 year, 10 months ago

Self could sell something to the recruits for 2012-2014 that he normally can't, immediate playing time. That is something that Self never promises, but has plenty of game minutes available.

Matt Kenton 1 year, 10 months ago

You know what gets recruits? Playing in the National Championship game.

JayhawkinNE 1 year, 10 months ago

Great highlight video of Embiid on Yahoo today!

Jack Wilson 1 year, 10 months ago

I saw the video. While some of these videos are worthless, this shows two important things -- 1. He can use his left hand. 2. He can handle the ball pretty good for a big guy (pretty sweet dribble and jump stop you wouldn't expect from anybody that size).

The more you hear and see about this kid, the more it appears that he would be a perfect project (that perhaps might develop quicker than expected).

Ron Prichard 1 year, 10 months ago

Very few 7 footers have the athletic ability that he has. I'm not so sure he couldn't come in and contribute right away. He seems like a more athletic Withey. He has decent range, a nice cross over dribble (would probably get picked in college but it shows ability), and I have never seen a 7 footer go between the legs when dunking as they typically can't get enough hang time. I said it last week and I will say it again: This is the kid that I want Self to get.

clevelandjayhawker 1 year, 10 months ago

I thought HEM was anti-Embid? (compared to some of the higher ranked/less project recruits)

Can't wait to see who the last big is, there are a number of options that will make me excited. Rock Chalk

Jack Wilson 1 year, 10 months ago

cleveland: Despite appearances, my mind always remains open ..... some might disagree with me there, though.

I'd love to have Embiid. But I think we need a highly skilled, top 50 big as part of this class. Embiid may end up being ranked higher. But because of his lack of basketball experience, even if he ends up ranked higher (perhaps the 50 - 75 range the rivals guy mentioned), I really think that we're leaving ourselves thin if we don't bring in "play now" type big. I have faith in Ellis. I have a marginally lower amount of faith in Peters, but loved what I saw in Europe. I will play the Missouri card on Lucas and Traylor .. show me. So I'm not sold there. And I have no faith in Wesley beyond what Wesley has shown so far (which is a guy that shouldn't have to play -- so he may be a "show me" guy too).

I'm beginning to see the logic of some who have said .. get Embiid, and then bring in Randle or Gordon for a year to bridge the gap. Could that be better in the end than say Lawrence or Roberson alone. I'd still like the sure thing.

Now, if you'd say .. we get Jermaine Lawrence and no one else .. would I take it and be ecstatic? Absolutely. Same with Roberson. Terrific "home run" class either way. It would be that elusive "grand slam" Self referred to.

Let's just say my opinion on Embiid is evolving. As I mentioned, many of the videos (most)on players mean nothing. And the dunks mean nothing. But seeing strong skils sets is where (I think) they help. Seeing the guy move for his size, handle the ball, the left hand .. that's impressive. He is obviously a swat machine.

Here's te best argument for Embiid -- he's played for 21 months and is this good? Imagine what coach Self (and staff) would do for him.

Look .. if we get Embiid and that's it, we're all still probably smiling with this class. Just a bit concerned on being assured of quality post play next season.

Tony Bandle 1 year, 10 months ago

HEM..I admire your persistence in thinking we have a chance for Randle, Robinson or Gordon. In my mind, those three ships sailed away from Lawrence a long time ago. JO JO is our future, but if you're right, I will buy you a pitcher at The Wheel!!

REHawk 1 year, 10 months ago

HEM, I am pretty well with you on this big man take. My only reservation lies in my disappointment with one and done gets. If I were assured that Joel Embiid would settle in for 3 years of Division 1 play, I would be inclined to be more excited by his commitment than if we got a currently more talented and experienced one year big recruit. Admittedly, I am an old guy who leans toward old school traditions. The John Walls and Josh Selbys are akin to amusement park fireworks, spectacular but shortlived installations to cap off the main agenda. (Maybe I am doublespeaking here, in the manner of our current Jayhawk hoops mentor?)

Chris Shaw 1 year, 10 months ago

If you have Travis Releford and Xavier Henry standing in line next to each other at the grocery store........................who do you think would get more attention?

Curtis Stutz 1 year, 10 months ago

I do think HEM you're keeping hopes way up for '13-14, which I'm not terribly worried about. It's going to be a young team either way, much more concerned about being the best team in '14-'15 and getting a title there...after winning it this year of course. 2 out of 3 ain't bad I'm told. I mean even with say Randle and Embiid next year, it could be a great year, but I think it would be hard to see KU as one of the frontrunners in the title hunt. We all want the Big12 streak to stay alive, but it might be unrealistic to expect KU to be a 1 seed worthy team for a 5th straight year.

Jack Wilson 1 year, 10 months ago

Oak -- Said another way, you admire my delusional optimism? I get it ....

REHawk: I am with you on one and dones. And I ain't that old, I don't think. I'm starting to be an Embiid lean -- particularly with the remoteness of other possibilities, as Oak pointed out.

phog: Hypothetically of course .. if we land Randle or Gordon .. pie in the sky .. delusional ... do you don't think we are literally as good as anyone in the nation in 2013-14 by tourney time? I love the composition of that team. But I'm with you. Embiid for 2014-15, as a sophomore. Selden a sophomore. Perry a junior. Maybe McLemore is still here. Greene, White. Peters now developed, Frankamp the assassin .. That could be a big year. A run the table except for a stumble in Ames type year. You're sellin' me.

texashawk10 1 year, 10 months ago

KU is going to be ridiculously young in 2013-14, I'm thinking 2008-09 young or younger. Best case scenario for 2013-14 is Ben McLemore doesn't feel like he's ready for the NBA and comes back, Self signs Embiid in the near future, and somehow lands Julius Randle in the spring at the expense of Frank Mason. KU would have 1 junior and a bunch of freshmen and sophomores much like the 2008-09 team. Throw Randle in the mix and it's a more talented team than 2008-09 and without Randle it's probably about the same talent wise as that team. That would still be a good team, but without Randle I don't think KU would be a serious title threat next year unless Lucas or Peters develop at a much faster rate than expected.

Curtis Stutz 1 year, 10 months ago

I'm sure they're great players, but I'm pretty big on experience. Granted if BMac is back, he and Ellis will have a good amount of it, but should be looking at a PG starting for the first time, as good as Randle is he and Ellis still wouldn't be up to TRob/Withey status imho, new starter at the wing... You definitely see where I'm coming from. Assuming Wiggins reclassifies, lot of talented freshmen out there next season and hard to say what all returns from this year, but maybe class of '14 ends up a little soft, sets KU up even more for '14-15 season with a great group of juniors and sophomores. Very hard to keep track of what other schools will have for talent in a couple years though, just KU is more than I can handle.

Chris Shaw 1 year, 10 months ago

2013-2014 returning Roster: Tharpe Rio McLemore ? (Who knows if he'll return) White Lucas Peters Ellis Traylor Wesley (Currently on Schollie, but who knows by next year)

Current 2013 Recruits:

Mason (I think he is going to be really good and much like Adonis Jordan...........He had to sit behind Kevin Pritchard for a year).
Frankamp Selden Greene

As Kansas currently stands they are at maxium capacity with schollies for the 4 incoming freshman.

1)With that said, nobody knows what McLemore is going to do but if he leaves that opens a schollie

2) Wesely could go back to Walk-on status next season.

In either one of those situations that opens up 1 more scholarship for any of the number of guys that KU is recruiting between Gordon, Randle, Wiggins, Roberson, and Emiid and probably others that aren't as high profile.

As it currently sits I say you sign Emiid as soon as you can and then hopefully you can get Roberson (The only one who will maybe commit in the fall), Gordon, Randle, or Wiggins.

If you sign Emiid, I think the schollie situation works itself out inhouse and you don't have any issues. Plus, you will know by January or February whether or not based on McLemore's play if he has a shot at leaving.

If McLemore is having a great season and looks like going to leave then you have that schollie for any one of those 4 guys. If McLemore stays than it gets a little tricky.

The good/bad part about McLemore staying is that it probably forces somebody out of the program (Which I hate), but the good part is that potentially causes, Lucas, Peters, Rio, or another one of the freshman to red-shirt, which has been very successful under Bill Self.

I say you sign Emiid to round out your class of 5 and if Roberson wants to sign early than you take him. If not, then you try to sign Roberson, Randle, Gordon, or Wiggins in the Spring as icing on the cake.

Alohahawk 1 year, 10 months ago

BigManU. Your posts are usually well thought out and appreciated, and in most cases, I agree with you. Especially this time around on which big(s) KU might convince to sign a LOI.

However, so that others don't start mis-spelling it as well: JoJo's last name is "Embiid", not "Emiid". :>)

Chris Shaw 1 year, 10 months ago

there was suppose to be a "B" in there. For some reason in this post the "B" didn't make it there. hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm! I guess I need to pay more attention.

Dale Stringer 1 year, 10 months ago

I want to see Self take his teams to the opponents' places for these in-state exhibition games. It is the University of Kansas. Let's give the whole state a chance to see them play in person. Go to Emporia, Pittsburg, Ft. Hays, etc. The only one that should be at home is Washburn since they are just down the road and their fans down have far to travel.

clevelandjayhawker 1 year, 10 months ago

You going to pay for the difference in ticket revenue? But I like the idea

Dale Stringer 1 year, 10 months ago

Money-wise, it might not be a good deal. But it would be a boon to the fans that only get to see it on tv because they can't afford both the ticket price and the travel costs to Lawrence. It will also help out the local economies in the smaller KS cities too.

REHawk 1 year, 10 months ago

Theoretically, socially, a fine idea. Perhaps someday a wealthy Emporia, Fort Hays or Pittsburg donor might pledge to make up the loss in dollars. However, would the gymnasium seating come anywhere near accommodating the crowds which now fill AFH for exhibition contests? Or would televised viewing be so technically possible?

Tony Bandle 1 year, 10 months ago

For HCBS to be this positive, this early, even with a bus load of newbies, indicates that those practices must be something to see!!! This team may be way better than any of us imagined!!

[PS I wonder if Cindy gets mad if Bill makes Tyler run extra laps and steps??]

Curtis Stutz 1 year, 10 months ago

I really love that he said "ability to pressure" as I think say the loss to UNI could have been prevented had Self looked to pressure more. Self believing his players are capable at putting pressure on with their defense is big when it comes to taking on the underdogs (most conference opponents included).

Chris Shaw 1 year, 10 months ago

For those of you that love recruiting there has been some serious rumors and information flying around about Andrew Wiggins. I just happened to be up late last night when a lot of this Andrew Wiggins stuff started breaking on the Kansas boards.

For those that don't know, it's been pretty much assummed and almost a guarantee that Andrew Wiggins was Kentucky bound for the longest time. With that said, I guess Roy Williams and Bill Self (Actually went to see him over the weekend) have actually gotten involved in his recruiting.

Andrew Wiggins brother plays at Wichita State, but let's not kid ourselves. It is a longshot at best, but it is interesting that Wiggins reached out to Kansas to be recruited.

Here is the thread that will get you up to date with all the information:

Here is an article from Mascott (The Shiver) giving you the politically correct media reports. :)

You might as well get on the train and see where it leads! You never know with Bill Self so we'll sit back and watch!

Chris Shaw 1 year, 10 months ago

Zagsblog has just reported the story as well and and Kurtis Townsend is expected to see him on Thursday!

Lot's of angles and opinions on this one! Very interesting!

Curtis Stutz 1 year, 10 months ago

I'll be surprised if he doesn't reclassify and I'll be surprised if he doesn't end up in the ACC at this point. I mean it'd be great if he came to KU, but I'm not going to get my hopes up.

Chris Shaw 1 year, 10 months ago

Who's getting their hopes up? If you are getting your hopes up over Andrew Wiggins...............you are going to be devasted. Less than 5 percent chance he comes to Kansas and that is even with his brother at Wichita State.

I hope the kid surprises the hell out of me and makes me look like a donkey!

Robin Smith 1 year, 10 months ago

"so you're saying there's a chance" :)

I'm emboldened to hope based on the fact that it's his initiative to include other schools and us specifically. Maybe Townsend can get him to come visit for the first preseason game.

Jonathan Allison 1 year, 10 months ago

is this another hint at the gender question? "what do you think are the chances that a guy like you could end up with a girl like me?"

all kidding aside, never count out KU's ability to attract a surprise recruit once every few years. Xavier Henry was signed, sealed, and delivered to Memphis a few years back. And the great thing about one-in-a-million odds is that you can have the jubilation of winning the sweepstakes without the anxiety of waiting for the results.

Robin Smith 1 year, 10 months ago

hahaha, "Mary... I desperately wanna make love to a school boy. "

I like the way you put that about it being a win-only kind of chance since we've already counted him as gone to UK.

I'll buy a 1-dollar ticket to that lotto for a chance at the jackpot.

Curtis Stutz 1 year, 10 months ago

Just so long as you don't end up devastated if he doesn't pick KU BigMan, just looking out for you and Lloyd, I mean RobinSmith.

Chris Shaw 1 year, 10 months ago

I never get my hopes up for a recruit! I learned that a long time ago! With that said, I had a gut feeling about Selden. This, however, I am not getting my hopes up for!

Alohahawk 1 year, 10 months ago

Talk about a cup half full. I'm an optimist according to some on this board, (which I'd pretty much agree with). However, according to all the press on Wiggins, Kenstinky has always been his one and only choice. I've taken that for granted, which in this case makes me a glass half empty guy. If Self were to pull Wiggins out of his hat I'd say he is an "IIlusionist par excellence". It would make Cal Lie Pari go a little nuts, and he'd probably make all sorts of claims of "payola under the table, or whatever." He's probably been relaxing, and drinking a few cold ones, unconcerned, thinking Wiggins has been Kenstinky's, all but delivered. Whether he were to choose KU or another, I'd love to see Cal Lie Pari strike out on Wiggins.

Mahalo for the post, BigManU!!!

Alex Peekeaton 1 year, 10 months ago

Actually Florida State is very much alive since both his parents went there and one of his best friends just signed with them, so UK hasn't been his one and only choice. With Twins, Young, Lee, and a few more on the way, I don't think Calipari is too concerned if he picks another school whether it is in 2013 or 14. Now if Wiggins reclassifies and does pick UK, nobody will touch UK in 2014.

Robin Smith 1 year, 10 months ago

don't you mean 2013 if he reclassifies or are you thinking he stays around for year 2?

Alex Peekeaton 1 year, 10 months ago

meant 2013-14 year playing with Twins, Young, and Lee. Wiggins will obviously play only one year in college.

Curtis Stutz 1 year, 10 months ago

Wouldn't be so sure. I'm not going to suggest KU would be that team, but nobody knows who all will be back at NC St, who all IU is going to have or any other number of teams, plus Zona should be really tough in another year. Not sure UK can get both Randle and Wiggins, not sure what all will go down with their guys from this year, Gordon/Randle/Parker team up somewhere with existing talent, too many unknowns even if Wiggins picks UK.

Alex Peekeaton 1 year, 10 months ago

If you put Wiggins who scouts have said is the best high school player since Lebron James and team them up with the Harrison twins who former NBA player/coach John Lucas (who now runs basketball camps and has seen it all) says the Twins are the most talented basketball players not named Lebron & Kobe, nobody touches that team. Add Young, Lee, and rest of current roster (Wiltjer, Cauley, etc.) and they would have a shot at an undefeated season as crazy as that may sound.

jgkojak 1 year, 10 months ago

So what we heard is the starting 5 is Johnson Mclemore Releford Young Withey

Those 5 with last year's bench are probably a Top 25 team - with this year's bench, I'd say they're Top 5 and a contender

Curtis Stutz 1 year, 10 months ago

Does make you wonder what kind of chemistry these guys might have developed by now. I was pretty excited coming into last season, feel about the same this year overall. Like most I thought EJ handled the rock well last year, still hard to not worry when you consider all the experience TT had at the point going into last season and had EJ there to help lighten the load. Always going to have question marks, but this group of seniors gave us all a lot of reason to believe they way they competed last year, Rock Chalk, we're cheering you guys all the same whether you go undefeated or Baylor somehow manages to steal the conference title away, we know what you guys are made of and how massive your marbles are.

Tony Bandle 1 year, 10 months ago

Townsend is excellent...but, come on....if you really want this young man, shouldn't Bill himself show up???

Still, it is a longshot, but worth the effort. One question...what shoes does he wear??

Chris Shaw 1 year, 10 months ago

Bill Self is a smart man! I believe Self was out there last week to see Wiggins practice or play or something. Maybe this is a ploy by the Wiggins camp to get more publicity like many of the other posters in that thread have also stated. It very well could be, but Kansas at this point is seriously behind the 8 ball even though they are technically being invited back into the recruitment.

I actually think this whole Wiggins ordeal depending on how long he shows interest in Kansas could help out with Roberson, Gordon, and or Randle. Lock up Embiid and go get your boy Bill Self! You've done your work early this year so go get'em Bill!

Robin Smith 1 year, 10 months ago

I should add regarding shoe sponsorship that we did get Selden and he wears NIKE for his AAU ball as well.

Joe Baker 1 year, 10 months ago

Roberson seems to be staying on East Coast with either Syracuse or NCSt. Gordon is a strong Washington lean. Each passing day my hopes for Randall fades too. I see Embiid as our next commit, which is great. There's always a chance on any one recruit.

Chris Shaw 1 year, 10 months ago

Roberson just left the KU campus on Sunday! I think we could wait a few more days before the "He stays on the East Coast" thing happens.

Tony Bandle 1 year, 10 months ago

From the mind of someone waiting for the clock to strike five on a Tuesday afternoon.

1] What if Randle, Robertson, Embiid and Wiggins all decide to come to Kansas!!!??? Can the Booth Family adopt Frank, Conner and Brannen for a year or so???

2] Calipari nightmare...John dreams he only has three and four stars and actually has to coach!!

3] Bruce Weber loses to Bill Self and Kansas by 30 points, three times this season, thus making K-Staters pine for the days of Huggy Bear and Frantic Frank!!

4] Will the Kansas Basketball team lose more games than the Kansas Football team wins??

5] Jaybate posts a one word response or bennybob actually gets up on the right side of the bed.

6] Someone helps OakvilleJHawk make a numbered list that does not run together!!

Tony Bandle 1 year, 10 months ago

Well I'll be darned....scratch question six!!!

Robin Smith 1 year, 10 months ago

ya know, your #1 brings up something I've been pondering: Money received from family seems to be a big NCAA loophole. Like with Wesley and SuperK footing the bill, because even though he's family would Langford pay for Wesley's college education if he weren't playing hoops for KU? If not, then wouldn't he be receiving benefits based on his status as a collegiate athlete?

Curtis Stutz 1 year, 10 months ago

Interesting question. Don't think you can draw a line when a family member pays for school though. Otherwise you could say the same thing about Manning right? Or say that Self's son counts as a scholarship 'cause the university is subsidizing the tuition?