Sunday, October 21, 2012

KU football coach Charlie Weis expected to name starting QB on Tuesday

Kansas backup quarterback Michael Cummings works out during practice on Wednesday, Oct. 10, 2012 at Memorial Stadium.

Saturday’s 52-7 loss at Oklahoma was painful for the Kansas University football team in a lot of ways, but it seems as if the Jayhawks came out of it one step closer to nailing down the identity of their starting quarterback.

Who that is remains a mystery for now, but KU coach Charlie Weis said Sunday night that he expected to announce whether fifth-year senior Dayne Crist or red-shirt freshman Michael Cummings would start Saturday against Texas much earlier than he did a week ago.

“My guess would be, on Tuesday, we’d probably pick one over the other as the starter,” Weis said. “I don’t think we’ll go into the game again with it being an or, even though we anticipate that there’s a good chance that they both end up playing. I think it’s easier if I come out on Tuesday and say, ‘This is who’s starting the game,’” Weis said. “We’ll probably go in that direction.”

Tuesday typically is the day in which Weis releases KU’s updated depth chart. After having Crist listed as the clear-cut starter for the first six weeks of the season, Weis added an “or” to the depth chart last week between Crist and Cummings, indicating that competition for the starting job had been opened up. Cummings supplanted Crist as the starter against the Sooners and played both better and longer during the loss.

Weis said the decision would be based upon how the two played against OU and also how each fits into the this week’s gameplan. Each guy’s mental state also figures to play a role.

“Handling a quarterback is a little different than handling any other position,” Weis said.

Crist has been on the sideline during the fourth quarter of KU’s last three losses and is coming off of a game in which he played very little but added a couple more pages to the disappointing scrapbook that has become his final season of college football.

Cummings earned the start against OU based largely off of the spark he provided in KU’s near upset of Oklahoma State, but more often looked like the inexperienced, young quarterback he is than the answer for the Jayhawks. Those facts set up a handle-with-care situation.

“Because they’re always in the limelight, you can’t handle it exactly the same as everyone else,” Weis said. “You have to treat ’em the same, but you can’t handle ’em the same because there’s a sensitivity factor and it’s always the story and everyone wants to know.”

Dealing with different players at different stages of their careers with different mindsets is nothing new for Weis.

“If you want a fifth-year senior and a red-shirt freshman, how about Bledsoe and Brady,” said Weis of the New England Patriots’ QB situation during the 2001 season. “That’s as close a comparison as I can give ya. That was a second-year guy who was playing for the first time in his career (Tom Brady), and a guy who had played for a decade (Drew Bledsoe). So, yeah, we’ve dealt with these situations before. It’s never easy no matter what way you handle it.”

Tough or not, Weis said he had a hard-and-fast rule.

“I like to just flat-out tell ’em, ‘Here’s exactly what’s happening,’” he said. “Normally, when they get into a situation like this, they’re guessing what’s gonna end up happening. Just as long as you’re honest, that eliminates a lot of the problems.”

It seems certain that Cummings will get a few more cracks. Although Weis has found plenty of holes in his young quarterback’s play, his critiques at least sound like he’s talking about a player with a future.

Asked after the loss what he expected his role to be this week, Cummings had little to say.

“I don’t know,” he said. “Whatever coach asks me to do, I’m gonna do.”

Comments

troutsee 1 year, 6 months ago

Texas will not score 50 on us. They will be lucky to score 40. We will come to play. I look for our special teams to perform much better.

TaskForce 1 year, 6 months ago

FYI. Jablonski moved up to 3rd on the depth chart a couple of weeks ago. Baty is now playing with the Scout Team.

pocorio 1 year, 6 months ago

It doesn't matter who plays QB. It is time to bring on Haskell. KU would be a strong three point favorite but the smart money would take Haskell and the points.

Robert Brown 1 year, 6 months ago

If we have any chance of beating UT, we will have to win a shoot out and I have seen no indication that our offense can score a lot of points. OU shut down UT, but no one else has.

Geekinout 1 year, 6 months ago

I'll give him his 3 recruiting years (heck might as well make it 5 at this rate) to find the players that fit, but from what I've seen from his play-calling and game management it's not looking optimistic. Notre Dame and Florida seem like happier places during football season with his absence. Maybe KUAD should just call Manpower or some type of temp agency to bring in a new head coach every game until the right one is found? It'll save them the millions they've been known to squander and the excruciating amount of time it takes to rebuild from self-inflicted disasters.

troutsee 1 year, 6 months ago

If Cummings starts, we will beat Texas.

Mike Hart 1 year, 6 months ago

Well-done, Reuben. Basketball-only fans... should just stay off the football website.

Reuben_J_Cogburn 1 year, 6 months ago

I'm as disheartened as anyone. But if I stop believing, I'm no better than the stereotype with which K-Staters have labelled us for years.

"Wait till basketball"....right? Not yet. I have to keep caring about KU football, and the rest of you should too. Or find a different Web site to visit.

Jeffery Barrett 1 year, 6 months ago

I can't believe Coach Weis is even mentioning Bledsoe and Brady in this situation.

Reuben_J_Cogburn 1 year, 6 months ago

This game against Texas will be a bigger indicator.

Many may disagree with me, but I believe this game is winnable. If Charlie has his players' respect and trust, they will rally behind him against a vulnerable Texas team.

If not, and we get blown out at home, it will indicate a lack of improvement. It may not be that black and white, but how this team responds to such a blowout is everything right now.

Can we pick ourselves up and at least compete? We'll see.

Robert Brown 1 year, 6 months ago

I agree that hiring Weis was a big risk especially when you look at his college track record. He got progressively worse at Notre Dame and as offensive coordinator at Florida, his offense was one of the worst in the nation despite all the talent a school like Florida has. He takes credit for the development of Tom Brady at every opportunity and I am sure he did alot to transform him to one of the all time greats. But Weis has been away from Brady for many years and Brady is doing just fine without him.

I fear that Zenger want to make a hire that created media buzz instead of finding someone, who may not be that well known, who would come in with a long term plan. Weis talks like he has a long term plan, but that got completely obscured when he brought in Crist and other "one and done" transfers. The message by this action is that he intended to win this year! It never made sense to me. Had we won five games with Crist, it would have provided a false sense of improvement.

If Weis is an offensive genius, the offense should be better. Sure, KSU and OU have good defenses, but that does not explain Rice (look at their defense), NIU (Army scored 40 on them), and TCU (did you see the Tech score) and OSU (UT shredded them). Don't give me that Gill destroyed the program to the level that we cannot compete. I did not expect that, but I did expect improvement especially on offense.

Weis should NOT be fired and will not be fired. Zenger took a risk on him and his job security is tied to Weis's success.

tdevany 1 year, 6 months ago

Charlie completely destroyed notre dames program turned it into the laughing stock of the ncaa.... And we wonder why ku has this type of season. He should never had been hired in the first place. The question shouldnt be who the quarterback is going to be, but how long were going to let this joke of a head coach continue to make ku the new laughing stock of the ncaa.personally i hope its not long

KjayhawkprideU 1 year, 6 months ago

....but WVU showed a better game against KSU this weekend than we did, I don't think so. For those of you that are ready to wash your hands are the same ones that started liking KU football when Mangino was here. I have one thing to say go wash your hands, become a fan of some other team maybe the one out west...don't care where but when it comes down to it I am married to a KSU grad and I went to a game with her when Snyder retired the first time and they had just as many people in there stands as we do. But those that were still there were true fans of KSU except "me" and they knew they sucked without Snyder. We owe it to the coaches, the players and to our school to support them in everything including volleyball, soccer, quiz team, baseball and football no matter the out come because that's who we are, we are FANS and if your not with me the you might as well root for mizzory. For any of the players that read this you guys are doing fine and thank you for your hard work.

Reuben_J_Cogburn 1 year, 6 months ago

I wish I had something poetic and inspiring to say, but I don't have the ability right now.

Hopefully I'll find something positive in a week or so, but I'm hanging it up until then.

I wasn't one to lose hope this year. Unfortunately, Saturday proved that we are far inferior to most programs, I admire the spirit of some of these guys, but we're faced with a painful truth............

Football may never come to the University of Kansas.

justinryman 1 year, 6 months ago

If this was last year and the staff was wondering what QB was going to start, then the pundits will be calling for the firing.

But we have this offensive genious, who coached Tom Brady, and so he "knows" what he's doing.

But does he from a head coaching standpoint?

Charlie is a lot like Bo Pelini,(except that CW can recruit), they are both great at being coordinators, but not as head coaches.

I'm not giving up yet, I gave Gill unil about the 5th game of year twobeforeI lost all hope in him so I will give ole Charlie the same.

Cmon get it done already!!!

VaJay 1 year, 6 months ago

After watching the replay of the really poor pass attempt by Crist to a WIDE OPEN Parmalee - CW cannot start him again. He's lost all privileges. When you combine his inconsistency with immobility, he's not the right choice. Not even knowing Christian Matthews throwing capability, I would rather have him out there as the second option to Cummings. As a few posters have said above, lets start building for next year.

wildjayhawk 1 year, 6 months ago

Bill Snyder could tell him. Bill will be National Coach Of The Year again. Ku should be watching in the wings as who will take over when Bill decides to retire. Some one they know well.

Lucas Town 1 year, 6 months ago

Is Weis any closer to finding out why one of the major universities in this state is 7-0 and the other is 1-6?

NebraskaJayhawk 1 year, 6 months ago

I'm tired of talking about the QB situation. I will say one thing, however. Until this team upgrades it's pass rush and our offense is able to practice against a legitimate defense, there is no way for any coach to gauge at the beginning of the season how his QB will handle game time situations. Weis (and us fans) obviously thought Crist was by far the leader and the best QB we had going into the opening game. The way he responded in game situations made it clear he lacks composure and decision making. Unfortunate, but that's the way I see it. I think it's crucial we continue to improve on defense so our offense has something 'real" to practice against.

Tony Bandle 1 year, 6 months ago

Gee. I would think the article would be better served from a journalistic standpoint if you had lead with both QBs pictures.....but, NNNNOOOOOOO....you all had to go a ruin the suspense!! :)

Seriously, from a long term program standpoint, I would start Cummings the rest of the season.

1] He is returning next year.. Crist is not. 2] His play will help determine if he will be an adequate back-up to Heaps. 3] If Heaps turns out to be Crist II, can he be the starter. 4] The slogan, "Here comes Cummings" sounds a little better than "Oh Christ, Crist!!"

Jayhawker111 1 year, 6 months ago

Per your comment: You can't play Heaps and the remaining QBs are likely not ready...

Heaps got beat out at BYU by Nelson who has been beat out by a freshman....

Heaps will hopefully have to earn the Qb spot and not have it handed to him like Crist.

How do we know the other Qbs' are not ready? Let's give them a chance to play.

They other Qb's on the roster cannot do any worse than what we have already seen.

LeadFarmer 1 year, 6 months ago

I say just run the Jayhawk formation for the rest of the season with Sims behind center. Even if we lose we'll lose playing to our strength.

Maracas 1 year, 6 months ago

"If Wies plays Crist any more this season, then it shows you that Wies is not thinking of the future of KU football."

I'm not buying this. Whether Crist or Cummings starts the remainder of the season really doesn't have much to do with the future. The QB position will not be decided this year. You can't play Heaps and the remaining QBs are likely not ready. There isn't much left for this season except to continue to evaluate and work with the available talent at all positions on both offense and defense. It we happen to pull out a win somewhere, then all the merrier.

Terry N Tom Denner 1 year, 6 months ago

When will Charlies love affair end with Crist as QB ?? Hope the Hawks can get a conference win soon.

Jayhawker111 1 year, 6 months ago

Do not know how a football coach could even consider playing Crist after watching what he has done this season.

Wies is suppose to be an offense expert. So far against conference competition KU is averaging 10 points a game.

Last years team scored on average 18 points against conference opponents.

So I ask, where is this high powered offensive scheme?

The running game has been above average which takes the pressure off the passing, but the QBs' have not executed.

Move down to the next quarterback on the roster. The first two guys have not done it --let us see if anyone else can?

Having Wies even consider playing Crist again is a slap in the face of the other players working hard to win..

dstnku34 1 year, 6 months ago

Dayne has not been very good, but Michael is statistically worse. Crist should still start (if he and Mike are the only options).

Jeff Suther 1 year, 6 months ago

Is it just me or does anyone else think we could give mathews a shot. I mean his passing cant be THAT bad when comparing it to Crist. Just do an entire game of the wildcat with some simple passing routs mixed in to keep the defense honest. Probably wont happen considering Weis values the quarterback understanding the offense more than being able to execute it.

AznSnSaTioN 1 year, 6 months ago

I thought we have a JUCO qb that threw like 42TDS, why isn't he starting? Baty, is his name. What's wrong with these 5th year seniors that we thought was going to help the program this year?

Jack Jones 1 year, 6 months ago

Congratulations, and Thank each of you for your spot on comments regarding our current football program. It is my opinion that at the end of this season, we, as well as the coaches and the players can look back and view this season as just what it is - Step one in the long term goal of rebuilding, and restoring a football program we can all celebrate. If I could talk to the coaching staff, and especially, the players, I would thank them for all the hard work they have put in - week after week, and assure them that we appreciate them for playing a difficult, but key role in this rebuilding process.

And ' toe ' - Hurry back home - your village is missing their idiot.

minipman 1 year, 6 months ago

on the bright side.. we have Heaps for next year.. who hopefully is building chemistry with McCay

troutsee 1 year, 6 months ago

Out of the four conference games, we have already played the best two teams in the conference. TT has a good defense and ISU plays good defense. The other teams that we have yet to play have porous defenses. I think we will fair better this Saturday and also against Baylor and WVU. This season is not over.

Obviously special teams have got to improve.

Dayne Crist will not start this Saturday.

Those calling for Charlie's head simply do not know football. He deserves and will get several years to develop this program unless the know nothing KU FB fans drive him off with their stupid comments. Patience by the fans will pay off in the long run. This team is better than last year's and we are continuing to improve.

Ralster Jayhawk 1 year, 6 months ago

This entire year is a "sifting thru" of the talent, as players learn and Weis & staff see how well they perform. Thank god coaches can look at game film and analyze every little thing, even things away from the play. Because other than the consensus on Dayne Crist, I wouldnt want most KU football fans anywhere near the actual decision-making regarding next year's team, especially when we start getting real recruits in here as opposed to this absolute patch-job with the 5th yr seniors. Personally, I liked the 5th yr senior attempt-at-stealing-some-W's, as those guys really have something to prove (although it hasnt worked out for Dayne). But it takes alot of reps and developing a chemistry...SO, analytically speaking, and seeing what plays Weis tries to execute, I will keep watching this team-->as it also will allow me to judge the building blocks for next season. Total...Rebuilding...Job. Keep sawin' wood.

toe 1 year, 6 months ago

This football program and KU academics has so much in common. Talking a good game and playing a good game is not the same thing.

Brian Haase 1 year, 6 months ago

it's got to be a formality or just being respectful to Crist by not saying he's done right now. Or at least that's what I'm hoping for because if CW is really still considering playing Crist I might start to lose faith in him

Boouk 1 year, 6 months ago

Crist shouldn't play another down this year

Janet Scott 1 year, 6 months ago

Santa Claus will be named the starter, with the Easter Bunny named by Charlie as the back-up.