Sunday, October 21, 2012

KU football coach Charlie Weis expected to name starting QB on Tuesday

Kansas backup quarterback Michael Cummings works out during practice on Wednesday, Oct. 10, 2012 at Memorial Stadium.

Saturday’s 52-7 loss at Oklahoma was painful for the Kansas University football team in a lot of ways, but it seems as if the Jayhawks came out of it one step closer to nailing down the identity of their starting quarterback.

Who that is remains a mystery for now, but KU coach Charlie Weis said Sunday night that he expected to announce whether fifth-year senior Dayne Crist or red-shirt freshman Michael Cummings would start Saturday against Texas much earlier than he did a week ago.

“My guess would be, on Tuesday, we’d probably pick one over the other as the starter,” Weis said. “I don’t think we’ll go into the game again with it being an or, even though we anticipate that there’s a good chance that they both end up playing. I think it’s easier if I come out on Tuesday and say, ‘This is who’s starting the game,’” Weis said. “We’ll probably go in that direction.”

Tuesday typically is the day in which Weis releases KU’s updated depth chart. After having Crist listed as the clear-cut starter for the first six weeks of the season, Weis added an “or” to the depth chart last week between Crist and Cummings, indicating that competition for the starting job had been opened up. Cummings supplanted Crist as the starter against the Sooners and played both better and longer during the loss.

Weis said the decision would be based upon how the two played against OU and also how each fits into the this week’s gameplan. Each guy’s mental state also figures to play a role.

“Handling a quarterback is a little different than handling any other position,” Weis said.

Crist has been on the sideline during the fourth quarter of KU’s last three losses and is coming off of a game in which he played very little but added a couple more pages to the disappointing scrapbook that has become his final season of college football.

Cummings earned the start against OU based largely off of the spark he provided in KU’s near upset of Oklahoma State, but more often looked like the inexperienced, young quarterback he is than the answer for the Jayhawks. Those facts set up a handle-with-care situation.

“Because they’re always in the limelight, you can’t handle it exactly the same as everyone else,” Weis said. “You have to treat ’em the same, but you can’t handle ’em the same because there’s a sensitivity factor and it’s always the story and everyone wants to know.”

Dealing with different players at different stages of their careers with different mindsets is nothing new for Weis.

“If you want a fifth-year senior and a red-shirt freshman, how about Bledsoe and Brady,” said Weis of the New England Patriots’ QB situation during the 2001 season. “That’s as close a comparison as I can give ya. That was a second-year guy who was playing for the first time in his career (Tom Brady), and a guy who had played for a decade (Drew Bledsoe). So, yeah, we’ve dealt with these situations before. It’s never easy no matter what way you handle it.”

Tough or not, Weis said he had a hard-and-fast rule.

“I like to just flat-out tell ’em, ‘Here’s exactly what’s happening,’” he said. “Normally, when they get into a situation like this, they’re guessing what’s gonna end up happening. Just as long as you’re honest, that eliminates a lot of the problems.”

It seems certain that Cummings will get a few more cracks. Although Weis has found plenty of holes in his young quarterback’s play, his critiques at least sound like he’s talking about a player with a future.

Asked after the loss what he expected his role to be this week, Cummings had little to say.

“I don’t know,” he said. “Whatever coach asks me to do, I’m gonna do.”

Comments

Boouk 1 year, 11 months ago

Crist shouldn't play another down this year

Brian Haase 1 year, 11 months ago

it's got to be a formality or just being respectful to Crist by not saying he's done right now. Or at least that's what I'm hoping for because if CW is really still considering playing Crist I might start to lose faith in him

Aaron Carpenter 1 year, 11 months ago

That was the dumbest post I have read on this site. Your are obviously some douchey troll, but that was not even clever nor was it a decent slam on the university. Find a bridge, jump, and do us all a favor. Good Luck.

Wisconsin2Kansas 1 year, 11 months ago

Calling somebody a "douchey troll" makes you a douche.

Steve Reigle 1 year, 11 months ago

Since the grades have been excellent and the academic programs are known to be excellent, I guess you are saying KU is not good about talking it up.

Charlotte_Jhawk 1 year, 11 months ago

Good comment...."Keep sawin' wood"....I like it

Jonathan Allison 1 year, 11 months ago

Good comments, and I agree in full. But I chose not to give you a "thumbs up" after you said "keep sawin' wood".

I certainly agree with the analogy and the sentiments of hard work in practice and preparation being essential to putting a decent finishing product into the public eye, and I have no ill will toward any of our former coaches, but I choose not to feed the frenzy of people who want to attach our current staff by clamoring about the past.

I see that you support Weis and agree with what he's doing. I do to. We all would have loved it if Crist had come to KU and done everything that we assumed he'd do here in his one year of eligibility, but for whatever reason (chemisty?, mentality?, new offense not to him so much as to everyone else?) he hasn't performed nearly to our lofty expectations, but a number of the Weis' guys have done well (just not well enough to win). And very soon Weis will have a new set of recruits, and a whole team that understands the systems and style that the coach wants, and Weis will have a fresh set of downs.

As you've said, this is a total rebuilding job and we simply can't read too much into this season. I've been intrigued to watch the team play this year and even watched the full game on Saturday because I am just anxious to see this team start to click. I love seeing the improvement these guys are making, even from one drive to the next drive. I think this team will look quite a bit better next week.

I anticipate that on Tuesday the depth chart will show Cummings as the starter, but the game plan will look very similar to the plan against OU. Both QBs will play unless Cummings comes out on fire and Weis chooses not to sub in.

FarneyMac 1 year, 11 months ago

Way to be judicious with doling out "thumbs up," bro! Good to see someone really take that issue seriously. Modern society is too frivolous with their thumbs, so thank you for showing us the way on thumbs-up usage.

Mike Hart 1 year, 11 months ago

Nice post, Ralster. I couldn't agree more. It's refreshing to read a post from someone who can look at this season for what it is... and recognize there were no easy ways to change the talent on this roster since Dec 2011, when Weiss' hiring was announced. At least he TRIED to get some talent here via 5th year and Juco route. It gets really old reading the same crybaby, vitriolic complaining from some of the regular posters here. At least the people who were saying we would win 6 games this year and go to a bowl... never bother to come here and show their face.

troutsee 1 year, 11 months ago

Out of the four conference games, we have already played the best two teams in the conference. TT has a good defense and ISU plays good defense. The other teams that we have yet to play have porous defenses. I think we will fair better this Saturday and also against Baylor and WVU. This season is not over.

Obviously special teams have got to improve.

Dayne Crist will not start this Saturday.

Those calling for Charlie's head simply do not know football. He deserves and will get several years to develop this program unless the know nothing KU FB fans drive him off with their stupid comments. Patience by the fans will pay off in the long run. This team is better than last year's and we are continuing to improve.

Jonathan Allison 1 year, 11 months ago

definitely agree that the season isn't over and that we should start to look better soon. We may even pull some upsets with the remaining schedule.

I have a feeling that Coach Weis is at least mature enough to ignore the public outcry of the ignorant... even if he maybe didn't do so well in starting the twitter war with the UDK. Turner Gill got two years, so Weis will at least get 3 (4 should be bare minimum in my opinion before sending a HC packing for lack of progress) unless he finds a better job before then, though I wouldn't anticipate him finding a better job until we start to see things turn around in the W-L columns.

Jonathan Allison 1 year, 11 months ago

you may have noticed that I didn't give a thumbs up to troutsee's post either. This one withheld because of the negative vibe I picked up at the end of the post.

Mike Hart 1 year, 11 months ago

Attaboy, troutsee. The lack of patience amongst the KU "faithful" has been more disconcerting than the performance of the football team by far.

minipman 1 year, 11 months ago

on the bright side.. we have Heaps for next year.. who hopefully is building chemistry with McCay

Mike Hart 1 year, 11 months ago

Before you guys make Heaps out to be a saviour... and crucify him next year, keep in mind, he lost the starting job his sophomore year at BYU to Riley Nelson. Some labeled him a bust there. Keep an open mind.. but please don't overbuild the hype on this guy... and certainly give him a chance to make a name for himself. Embarrassing to read the cruel things people are saying about Crist. Everyone acts like he was a 3 year starter prior to this season. He had 10 career starts in college prior to this season... 10 starts in 4 years since high school. The Crist experiement is over and while we are all disappointed with the results, the intrigue he brought to KU football at least made us anticipate the start of the season. For those of you who had delusions of grandeur for KU football season... then deal with that as you may... but no reason to vilify this team and the coaching staff. They are putting the effort out and when this team has more talent to go with the effort.. we'll start seeing some more consistently improved results.

Jack Jones 1 year, 11 months ago

Congratulations, and Thank each of you for your spot on comments regarding our current football program. It is my opinion that at the end of this season, we, as well as the coaches and the players can look back and view this season as just what it is - Step one in the long term goal of rebuilding, and restoring a football program we can all celebrate. If I could talk to the coaching staff, and especially, the players, I would thank them for all the hard work they have put in - week after week, and assure them that we appreciate them for playing a difficult, but key role in this rebuilding process.

And ' toe ' - Hurry back home - your village is missing their idiot.

AznSnSaTioN 1 year, 11 months ago

I thought we have a JUCO qb that threw like 42TDS, why isn't he starting? Baty, is his name. What's wrong with these 5th year seniors that we thought was going to help the program this year?

lv_jhwk 1 year, 11 months ago

Do you really think this season is worth burning a redshirt year for Baty? Better to have him for three more years than try to get anything more out of this season.

I could possibly understand if it only took another win or two to become bowl eligible, but then we probably wouldn't be having this discussion in this case would we?

Ashwin Rao 1 year, 11 months ago

At this point, I feel that it "is" the best time to get Baty in! We need to develop some positive vibes in the team... having a 2 QB system with Baty & Cummings would be fantastic (not 2 in a series, mind you! :) )! It will give both some experience in the Big-12 (which is a challenge by itself!). The toughest teams are behind us, so the pressure will be manageable for both. Even if we lose the rest of the games, they will come back with some game experience.

jhox 1 year, 11 months ago

I'm with you Ashwringrao. A couple of conference wins would be just the thing to show potential recruits we're moving in the right direction. Besides, there is no guarantee Baty will ever win the starting job. He's likely to spend 2 years behind Heaps and who knows who else they might bring in in the mean time.

KGphoto 1 year, 11 months ago

I think he's already signed. Jordan Darling is gonna be Weis' guy in two years. Pretty sure Bill Snyder had this guy pegged as his next Collin Klein.

texashawk10 1 year, 11 months ago

Unless Darling is something very special, I don't have any reason to believe he will be at this point, he won't be a legitimate threat to win the starting QB job until 2016. At this point, is there any reason to believe Michael Cumming won't be the starter his senior year in 2015 with Baty and Darling backing him up?

Dale Stringer 1 year, 11 months ago

It is probably to late to take the red shirt from Baty. But I wish we could give him the chance. So now we have to let our 4th best QB (Cummings) start since the three best are unavailable. Heap - inelligible; Baty - Red Shirt; Pick - best WR we have.

vd 1 year, 11 months ago

Why do you want to redshirt out 3rd string QB? Why waste a schollie on a player who will never crack the depth chart?

Jeff Suther 1 year, 11 months ago

Is it just me or does anyone else think we could give mathews a shot. I mean his passing cant be THAT bad when comparing it to Crist. Just do an entire game of the wildcat with some simple passing routs mixed in to keep the defense honest. Probably wont happen considering Weis values the quarterback understanding the offense more than being able to execute it.

dstnku34 1 year, 11 months ago

Dayne has not been very good, but Michael is statistically worse. Crist should still start (if he and Mike are the only options).

KGphoto 1 year, 11 months ago

Cummings never had a chance to (and I can't believe I'm saying this) "pad" his stats with SDSU, Rice and N. Illinois. It's a little different when your first start is @ red-hot Oklahoma.

I'll take Mike.

dstnku34 1 year, 11 months ago

What you're saying is very logical, but it's not reality. SDSU and Northern Illinois are Dayne's worst outings as a starter. Rice was an average game for him. His best statistical games were against TCU, then #18, and KSU, then #7. Cummings did nothing in the first 3 quarters against OU. He is not a better option than Crist. Don't even try to say that I think Dayne is a great QB right now. It's not true, but numbers still have to be considered, don't they? I mean we can gamble and spin the wheel and try to luck out, but I guarantee Todd Reesing is not going to walk off that sideline this year. We have to play the best, albeit not a great, option and it's Dayne Crist.

KGphoto 1 year, 11 months ago

We don't have a great QB, agreed. I just prefer Mike to get a little more time to groove with the first team. Crist had all spring and summer, which gives him an unfair advantage, and his errors just make me cringe! Who knows if Mike can find a little more of a comfort zone out there, given a little more opportunity? It can't really get worse, can it?

dstnku34 1 year, 11 months ago

Well, yes, unfortunately, I think it can get worse. While Cummings is undeniably more mobile, faster, and agile, he has not demonstrated, in a cumulative sense, to be much more elusive than Crist. Mike has 8 total yds on 16 carries this season. I mean, he is positive yds where Dayne isn't, but Dayne is, statistically, a better passer and is more productive than Cummings. I think Cummings should still get some snaps, but shouldnt be the main guy, yet. The argument that Cummings just hasn't gotten comfortable yet doesn't have substance because I don't think Dayne has gotten comfortable yet.

Jayhawker111 1 year, 11 months ago

Do not know how a football coach could even consider playing Crist after watching what he has done this season.

Wies is suppose to be an offense expert. So far against conference competition KU is averaging 10 points a game.

Last years team scored on average 18 points against conference opponents.

So I ask, where is this high powered offensive scheme?

The running game has been above average which takes the pressure off the passing, but the QBs' have not executed.

Move down to the next quarterback on the roster. The first two guys have not done it --let us see if anyone else can?

Having Wies even consider playing Crist again is a slap in the face of the other players working hard to win..

Mike Hart 1 year, 11 months ago

I can tell you this... we don't have any big play WR. No gamebreakers. The fast guys we have... are small. We rarely have anyone to throw to to ATTEMPT the deep ball down the field. There's a REASON... that most of our passes are dump passes to Pierson and short passes to Pick over the middle. Get some talent with some size at WR... and watch how the downfield passing makes our running game even better. Turzillli hasn't made anyone go "wow" this year. He's rarely open or getting separation. His 4.65 out of high school isn't horrible, but it rarely translates to beating d-backs in real games.

Terry N Tom Denner 1 year, 11 months ago

When will Charlies love affair end with Crist as QB ?? Hope the Hawks can get a conference win soon.

Maracas 1 year, 11 months ago

"If Wies plays Crist any more this season, then it shows you that Wies is not thinking of the future of KU football."

I'm not buying this. Whether Crist or Cummings starts the remainder of the season really doesn't have much to do with the future. The QB position will not be decided this year. You can't play Heaps and the remaining QBs are likely not ready. There isn't much left for this season except to continue to evaluate and work with the available talent at all positions on both offense and defense. It we happen to pull out a win somewhere, then all the merrier.

LeadFarmer 1 year, 11 months ago

I say just run the Jayhawk formation for the rest of the season with Sims behind center. Even if we lose we'll lose playing to our strength.

NebraskaJayhawk 1 year, 11 months ago

Have you seen what teams do to us when they stack the box against the run? It hasn't been pretty, dude.

LeadFarmer 1 year, 11 months ago

Have you seen when we try to throw the ball? Pop quiz hot shot, how many rushing TDs do we have this season compared to passing TDs?

Jayhawker111 1 year, 11 months ago

Per your comment: You can't play Heaps and the remaining QBs are likely not ready...

Heaps got beat out at BYU by Nelson who has been beat out by a freshman....

Heaps will hopefully have to earn the Qb spot and not have it handed to him like Crist.

How do we know the other Qbs' are not ready? Let's give them a chance to play.

They other Qb's on the roster cannot do any worse than what we have already seen.

Tony Bandle 1 year, 11 months ago

Gee. I would think the article would be better served from a journalistic standpoint if you had lead with both QBs pictures.....but, NNNNOOOOOOO....you all had to go a ruin the suspense!! :)

Seriously, from a long term program standpoint, I would start Cummings the rest of the season.

1] He is returning next year.. Crist is not. 2] His play will help determine if he will be an adequate back-up to Heaps. 3] If Heaps turns out to be Crist II, can he be the starter. 4] The slogan, "Here comes Cummings" sounds a little better than "Oh Christ, Crist!!"

NebraskaJayhawk 1 year, 11 months ago

I'm tired of talking about the QB situation. I will say one thing, however. Until this team upgrades it's pass rush and our offense is able to practice against a legitimate defense, there is no way for any coach to gauge at the beginning of the season how his QB will handle game time situations. Weis (and us fans) obviously thought Crist was by far the leader and the best QB we had going into the opening game. The way he responded in game situations made it clear he lacks composure and decision making. Unfortunate, but that's the way I see it. I think it's crucial we continue to improve on defense so our offense has something 'real" to practice against.

Lucas Town 1 year, 11 months ago

Is Weis any closer to finding out why one of the major universities in this state is 7-0 and the other is 1-6?

wildjayhawk 1 year, 11 months ago

Bill Snyder could tell him. Bill will be National Coach Of The Year again. Ku should be watching in the wings as who will take over when Bill decides to retire. Some one they know well.

bville_hawk 1 year, 11 months ago

IMO the heir apparent at KSU is Bill's son, who has been on that staff for several years now.

NebraskaJayhawk 1 year, 11 months ago

Although I doubt he will be a head coach for KSU, I would not be surprised to see him in purple again. There's been a lot of talk among the KSU fans I work with about wanting him as OC again.

VaJay 1 year, 11 months ago

After watching the replay of the really poor pass attempt by Crist to a WIDE OPEN Parmalee - CW cannot start him again. He's lost all privileges. When you combine his inconsistency with immobility, he's not the right choice. Not even knowing Christian Matthews throwing capability, I would rather have him out there as the second option to Cummings. As a few posters have said above, lets start building for next year.

741hawk 1 year, 11 months ago

Very fair analysis --- "Inconsistent and immobile."

justinryman 1 year, 11 months ago

If this was last year and the staff was wondering what QB was going to start, then the pundits will be calling for the firing.

But we have this offensive genious, who coached Tom Brady, and so he "knows" what he's doing.

But does he from a head coaching standpoint?

Charlie is a lot like Bo Pelini,(except that CW can recruit), they are both great at being coordinators, but not as head coaches.

I'm not giving up yet, I gave Gill unil about the 5th game of year twobeforeI lost all hope in him so I will give ole Charlie the same.

Cmon get it done already!!!

Mike Hart 1 year, 11 months ago

Wow.. the 5th game of Charlie's second season... and his first year to really recruit. How generous. Keep in mind, he didn't have anywhere near a full recruiting season for this year. He wasn't named head coach until December. He inherited Gill's team and did what he could to get some juco transfers, Heaps, and 5th year seniors. Now during this season and prior to his next.. he gets his first chance to really recruit. And you expect all his recruits to PLAY in weeks 1-5 of Charlie's 2nd season here.. and then evaluate him based on the team's performance then? Hardly fair....

justinryman 1 year, 11 months ago

I will give him a lot more ifIcan see progress. Gill didn't show any on the field or in recruiting.

If CW has a good year recruiting then itbuys him more time. If they come out next year and and lose badly then he loses some of that time.

I'm not say he needs to go, and I hope he doesn't this program needs to have stability for it to get better. I would really like to see a coach stay 6 to 10 years, I know that's hard especially when CW has a 5 year plan.

It won't be easy for any coach to turn this program around. Losing every conference game over the past 4 years is hard to build up from, but once that starts happening other good things will happen.

Just saying improvement needs to be shown

Robert Brown 1 year, 11 months ago

How do you determine if someone has a great recruiting year? In 2011, Turner Gill's class was highly regarded but that did not translate to performance on the field. Weis has not been able to take that class plus all of the transfers he brought in and put a better product on the field.

There is no doubt that Weis will be able to recruit. I am beginning to question whether he can coach.

Reuben_J_Cogburn 1 year, 11 months ago

I wish I had something poetic and inspiring to say, but I don't have the ability right now.

Hopefully I'll find something positive in a week or so, but I'm hanging it up until then.

I wasn't one to lose hope this year. Unfortunately, Saturday proved that we are far inferior to most programs, I admire the spirit of some of these guys, but we're faced with a painful truth............

Football may never come to the University of Kansas.

texashawk10 1 year, 11 months ago

Where are the two schools ranked that have blown out KU this season? 3rd and 8th in the lastest BCS poll and both games were on the road. I don't think very many people are surprised that KU has been blown out against elite teams this year because even when KU has had good years in the past, they typically get blown out by elite teams with the exception being 2007. Unlike the past couple of years however, KU has been competitive against the mid tier teams on the schedule with Rice being the lone bad loss on the schedule. NIU while a disappointing loss, is not a bad loss because they are sitting at 7-1 right now on their way to their 3rd straight 10 win season. This team has been far more competitive against the teams they should be competitive with than at any point in the past 2 years and I do think this team still has a win or two left in them.

KjayhawkprideU 1 year, 11 months ago

....but WVU showed a better game against KSU this weekend than we did, I don't think so. For those of you that are ready to wash your hands are the same ones that started liking KU football when Mangino was here. I have one thing to say go wash your hands, become a fan of some other team maybe the one out west...don't care where but when it comes down to it I am married to a KSU grad and I went to a game with her when Snyder retired the first time and they had just as many people in there stands as we do. But those that were still there were true fans of KSU except "me" and they knew they sucked without Snyder. We owe it to the coaches, the players and to our school to support them in everything including volleyball, soccer, quiz team, baseball and football no matter the out come because that's who we are, we are FANS and if your not with me the you might as well root for mizzory. For any of the players that read this you guys are doing fine and thank you for your hard work.

Lucas Town 1 year, 11 months ago

I agree with you that we ALL need to support ALL sports, not just relaying that we are just a basketball school. So for those of you who go crazy over the basketball team and don't show the same kind of support every where else then you are not TRUE fans.

tdevany 1 year, 11 months ago

Charlie completely destroyed notre dames program turned it into the laughing stock of the ncaa.... And we wonder why ku has this type of season. He should never had been hired in the first place. The question shouldnt be who the quarterback is going to be, but how long were going to let this joke of a head coach continue to make ku the new laughing stock of the ncaa.personally i hope its not long

Mike Hart 1 year, 11 months ago

Not much to say other than that you are a complete idiot. No reason to point out way.. the ignorance is very clear in your post.

Terry N Tom Denner 1 year, 11 months ago

They fired the joke to hire Charlie !! If you do not like who KU has as a coach then cheer for KST or MU in the SEC !! Synder went 1-11 his first year as coach so give the man a chance. Or like I said, cheer for someone else.

Lucas Town 1 year, 11 months ago

Who else were they supposed to hire? What other coach would have a better record right now? NO ONE! Charlie is as someone else put it "sifting through the talent" give the coaches some time to fix this.

Robert Brown 1 year, 11 months ago

I agree that hiring Weis was a big risk especially when you look at his college track record. He got progressively worse at Notre Dame and as offensive coordinator at Florida, his offense was one of the worst in the nation despite all the talent a school like Florida has. He takes credit for the development of Tom Brady at every opportunity and I am sure he did alot to transform him to one of the all time greats. But Weis has been away from Brady for many years and Brady is doing just fine without him.

I fear that Zenger want to make a hire that created media buzz instead of finding someone, who may not be that well known, who would come in with a long term plan. Weis talks like he has a long term plan, but that got completely obscured when he brought in Crist and other "one and done" transfers. The message by this action is that he intended to win this year! It never made sense to me. Had we won five games with Crist, it would have provided a false sense of improvement.

If Weis is an offensive genius, the offense should be better. Sure, KSU and OU have good defenses, but that does not explain Rice (look at their defense), NIU (Army scored 40 on them), and TCU (did you see the Tech score) and OSU (UT shredded them). Don't give me that Gill destroyed the program to the level that we cannot compete. I did not expect that, but I did expect improvement especially on offense.

Weis should NOT be fired and will not be fired. Zenger took a risk on him and his job security is tied to Weis's success.

Terry N Tom Denner 1 year, 11 months ago

Tell that to the Liberty team Gill took over. they were 7 - 4 last year and they are 0-5 so far this year. Gill took KU back to the stone age on recovering any respect in the Big 12. He was the higher risk than Charlie.

texashawk10 1 year, 11 months ago

0-5 according to who because according the Liberty football site, they are 3-4 and have won 3 in row and their 4 losses coming at the hands of an FBS school and 3 ranked FCS schools. Not a great year for Liberty, but not a terrible one either.

NebraskaJayhawk 1 year, 11 months ago

Typically don't think your posts are dumb. Quit being so quick to judge, man. Give Weis 4 years and then we'll decide whether or not he is worth his salt.

Reuben_J_Cogburn 1 year, 11 months ago

This game against Texas will be a bigger indicator.

Many may disagree with me, but I believe this game is winnable. If Charlie has his players' respect and trust, they will rally behind him against a vulnerable Texas team.

If not, and we get blown out at home, it will indicate a lack of improvement. It may not be that black and white, but how this team responds to such a blowout is everything right now.

Can we pick ourselves up and at least compete? We'll see.

Reuben_J_Cogburn 1 year, 11 months ago

By the team I saw play the first half against Kansas State. And the team that played in the second half against Oklahoma State..

I understand your outlook, and share it to a degree. But if this team would play like they are capable, they can win.

Can I say with certainty or even moderate belief that they will? Absolutely not. Can and will are two very different things.

Terry N Tom Denner 1 year, 11 months ago

I agree with you 100% !! KU can still salvage 2 conference wins. Texas and Iowa St are possible wins.

Jeffery Barrett 1 year, 11 months ago

I can't believe Coach Weis is even mentioning Bledsoe and Brady in this situation.

justinryman 1 year, 11 months ago

Yeah most of these kids probably don't know who Drew Bledsoe is.

Reuben_J_Cogburn 1 year, 11 months ago

I'm as disheartened as anyone. But if I stop believing, I'm no better than the stereotype with which K-Staters have labelled us for years.

"Wait till basketball"....right? Not yet. I have to keep caring about KU football, and the rest of you should too. Or find a different Web site to visit.

Mike Hart 1 year, 11 months ago

Well-done, Reuben. Basketball-only fans... should just stay off the football website.

troutsee 1 year, 11 months ago

If Cummings starts, we will beat Texas.

Geekinout 1 year, 11 months ago

I'll give him his 3 recruiting years (heck might as well make it 5 at this rate) to find the players that fit, but from what I've seen from his play-calling and game management it's not looking optimistic. Notre Dame and Florida seem like happier places during football season with his absence. Maybe KUAD should just call Manpower or some type of temp agency to bring in a new head coach every game until the right one is found? It'll save them the millions they've been known to squander and the excruciating amount of time it takes to rebuild from self-inflicted disasters.

Robert Brown 1 year, 11 months ago

If we have any chance of beating UT, we will have to win a shoot out and I have seen no indication that our offense can score a lot of points. OU shut down UT, but no one else has.

pocorio 1 year, 11 months ago

It doesn't matter who plays QB. It is time to bring on Haskell. KU would be a strong three point favorite but the smart money would take Haskell and the points.

TaskForce 1 year, 11 months ago

FYI. Jablonski moved up to 3rd on the depth chart a couple of weeks ago. Baty is now playing with the Scout Team.

troutsee 1 year, 11 months ago

Texas will not score 50 on us. They will be lucky to score 40. We will come to play. I look for our special teams to perform much better.