Friday, October 19, 2012

KUsports.com staff’s Week 8 college football picks

KUsports.com staff picks.

KUsports.com staff picks.

The following are the Journal-World staffers' picks for Week 8 of the college football season.

Week 8 games

Kansas at Oklahoma

Kansas State at West Virginia

Baylor at Texas

Texas Tech at TCU

South Carolina at Florida

LSU at Texas A&M;

Off-the-wall question: What is the worst movie you've seen?

Associate sports editor Drew Hartsock (25-11 overall, 4-2 in Week 7)

Oklahoma 65, Kansas 14

Kansas State 31, West Virginia 28

Texas 35, Baylor 3

TCU 44, Texas Tech 38

Florida 28, South Carolina 21

LSU 31, Texas A&M; 3

Question: "Night of the Creeps." I highly recommend it.

High school beat reporter Benton Smith (24-12 overall, 3-3 in Week 7)

Oklahoma 41, Kansas 14

West Virginia 35, Kansas State 34

Texas 45, Baylor 31

Texas Tech 27, TCU 23

South Carolina 27, Florida 23

LSU 30, Texas A&M; 17

Question: "Johnny Mnemonic." My dad, brother and I went to see it because we were bored and all three of us fell asleep.

KU football beat writer Matt Tait (24-12 overall, 3-3 in Week 7)

Oklahoma 38, Kansas 21

Kansas State 45, West Virginia 40

Texas 34, Baylor 28

Texas Tech 39, TCU 31

South Carolina 24, Florida 20

LSU 31, Texas A&M; 21

Question: Much like many years ago, when I finally nailed down a favorite Beatles song because I got tired of not being able to settle on one every time someone asked me, I recently made sure to pinpoint the worst movie I'd ever seen. It wasn't hard. Thanks to some down time last July at the Westin in Dallas for Big 12 media days, I now can say with certainty that "Psychosis," starring Charisma Carpenter and directed by Reg Traviss, is the answer to this question. And it's not close.

Sports copy editor Chris Cottrell (24-12 overall, 4-2 in Week 7)

Oklahoma 42, Kansas 10

Kansas State 24, West Virginia 21

Texas 30, Baylor 21

Texas Tech 23, TCU 22

Florida 27, South Carolina 21

LSU 31, Texas A&M; 17

Question: "Attack of the Killer Tomatoes" (It's so bad, it's good).

KU men's basketball beat writer Gary Bedore (23-13 overall, 4-2 in Week 7)

Oklahoma 49, Kansas 17

West Virginia 31, Kansas State 20

Texas 24, Baylor 17

TCU 24, Texas Tech 20

Florida 30, South Carolina 22

LSU 44, Texas A&M; 38

Question: Tie: "2001 A Space Odyssey" (unbelievably boring) and Adam Sandler's "Grown Ups" (just awful).

KUsports.com online editor Jesse Newell (22-14 overall, 3-3 in Week 7)

Oklahoma 49, Kansas 7

Kansas State 42, West Virginia 28

Texas 49, Baylor 35

Texas Tech 45, TCU 28

Florida 24, South Carolina 14

Texas A&M; 28, LSU 24

Question: "Dawn of the Dead." I still remember saying, "That's the worst movie I've ever seen" within minutes of watching it.

Sports copy editor Nick Gerik (22-14 overall, 2-4 in Week 7)

Oklahoma 35, Kansas 17

Kansas State 33, West Virginia 30

Texas 45, Baylor 30

Texas Tech 28, TCU 14

South Carolina 23, Florida 20

Texas A&M; 25, LSU 23

Question: I thought the Steve Martin remake of "The Pink Panther" was just painful.

Sports editor Tom Keegan (21-15 overall, 3-3 in Week 7)

Oklahoma 42, Kansas 14

West Virginia 42, Kansas State 28

Texas 41, Baylor 38

TCU 31, Texas Tech 28

South Carolina 31, Florida 30

LSU 28, Texas A&M; 14

Question: "French Lieutenant's Woman." Fell asleep, snored, got elbowed in the ribs.

Comments

Ian Ballinger 7 years, 4 months ago

I thought Mars Attacks could've been better, but I can't help liking it

Sam Brockert 7 years, 4 months ago

So I am guessing none of you have seen Manos: The hands of fate? That is probably a good thing, it is quite literally the worst movie ever made...

Curtis Stutz 7 years, 4 months ago

Idk, this is probably the worst I've ever seen, and I've seen some bad movies. I mean if you don't count any left-wing documentaries like An Inconvenient Truth or something from Michael Moore. Just take a look at these quotes: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0084455/quotes

nuleafjhawk 7 years, 4 months ago

I don't know phogphan - I don't consider myself a prude, but I would have been much happier and more well adjusted today if I hadn't seen that link. Next time, I'll just take your word for it on bad movies.

Curtis Stutz 7 years, 4 months ago

what's crazy is some that they were able to get some pretty decent actors to be in that garbage, I mean wow!

Mick Allen 7 years, 4 months ago

Tom as you are probably aware, Elaine of Seinfeld fame felt the same way you did about the French Lieutenants Wife. My opinion is similar.

702Hawk 7 years, 4 months ago

Napoleon Dynamite. And I don't get how so many people can like it.

Bobby Burch 7 years, 4 months ago

The Watchmen. Good lord that was horrible.

Robert Brock 7 years, 4 months ago

Red Dawn. Cubans? Did they bring cigars for everybody?

Micky Baker 7 years, 4 months ago

Oklahoma 38 Kansas 31 Yes, I think the defense is turning the corner, and I do believe it's trap game for OU if they're not careful.

West Virginia 45 Kansas State 42 Texas 38 Baylor 28 TCU 42 Texas Tech 34 Florida 31 South Caroline 24 LSU 28 Texas A&M 17

oreadman 7 years, 4 months ago

Up the Academy

Filmed in Salina - makes some of the other films mentioned here look like Citizen Kane.

nuleafjhawk 7 years, 4 months ago

Thanks oreadman - until just now I had blocked that out of my mind. CRAP.

KGphoto 7 years, 4 months ago

fearthephog512 took my standard answer to this question. Battlefield Earth is embarrassingly bad. Travolta looked so ridiculous! So how about these?

Clash Of The Titans 2010. 4/6 of us fell asleep in the first 20-30 minutes.

Superman IV was so bad you could practically see the duct tape holding things together. Worst special effects EVER!

Anything with Dolph Lundgren or Jean-Claude Van Damme, and anything with Eddie Murphy playing multiple characters.

Eric Williams 7 years, 4 months ago

Ace Ventura: Pet Detective TWO; Hollow Man; Any Ben Affleck movie ever

Hawk_Star 7 years, 4 months ago

I was on board with your Affleck statement until I recently watched Argo. Good stuff.

Curtis Stutz 7 years, 4 months ago

Vegas has LSU -3, these guys have it at about -9.5 -10, looks like I'll take A&M +3 in that one

TTech TCU is interesting 'cause it's practically a must win for the Frogs if they want to make a bowl game. If not for that I'd definitely go with TT but there's a reason the spread went from TT+3.5 to TT-1.5, they should win. Personally I want TCU to lose out and miss a bowl game just to show everybody around the country how tough it is to win in the Big12.

No reason KSU shouldn't be favored to beat WVU, Geno Smith's stats suddenly look much less impressive now that everyone he's played against has been trounced at some point. KSU+3

Any injury to Lattimore is a game changer for SC-lite, have to think UF takes care of business in the swamp. UF-3.5

Both Texas and Baylor looking for some redemption so it could be competitive but definite edge to Texas. Would probably take UT-8.5.

Don't even want to talk about KU@OU, not good, 35 point spread. I don't bet on KU, don't want to jinx them. 6/8 here have KU covering so smart money is probably on OU-35. May depend on how often HCCW goes for it on 4th down.

Curtis Stutz 7 years, 4 months ago

Big money pick of the week I'm thinking Navy-3 against IU. Also ISU is a 14 pt dog @Okie St. Interesting.

JayDocMD 7 years, 4 months ago

Nothing But Trouble and Ghostbusters 2 were always tied at the top until...

The Box starring Cameron Diaz. Sounds so promising right? Ummm no. Horrible movie.

KGphoto 7 years, 4 months ago

Nothing But Trouble was SO bad, and gross. But Ghostbusters? C'mon, man! It's Bill Murray. He's a quote factory.

"Dana? The boys are going down under the sewers tonight to look for slime stuff, and Egon thinks there might even be a huge surge in cockroach breeding. Do you want to blow off this dinner thing and go with them?"

texashawk10 7 years, 4 months ago

Garfield, even Bill Murray regrets that one.

worrynotjhawk 7 years, 4 months ago

About Schmidt - has Kathy Bates naked in hot tub. Plus it's long, boring, and goes nowhere. Definitely worst movie ever.

Look for all the home teams to win, except Texas.

nuleafjhawk 7 years, 4 months ago

DUDE - Just Friends is one of my favorites !!!

Chris Bailey 7 years, 4 months ago

Come on ace Ventura 2. Walked out of that movie! And I liked grownups. But I like sandler!

JayDocMD 7 years, 4 months ago

I liked Grown Ups as well - love Kevin James

Chris Bailey 7 years, 4 months ago

Oh hell I forgot about About Schmidt! That movie was terrible and that full frontal of Kathy Bates that was just scary!

texashawk10 7 years, 4 months ago

I gotta go with The Smurfs. I took my 5 year old niece to see it and she loved it because 5 year olds love just about anything they see, but that was absolutely the worst movie I've ever seen.

nuleafjhawk 7 years, 4 months ago

Not exactly a movie - but the worst thing I've ever watched on TV - 2003 National Championship Game.

kesmithstl1 7 years, 4 months ago

The Horse Whisperer! Long and boring=bad combination.

justinryman 7 years, 4 months ago

Saving Silverman

The remake of King Kong.

The Jackal.

JHawk74 7 years, 4 months ago

Nobody is giving University of Kansas a chance in the game. We held one of the best offenses in the Big 12 to 20 pts but nobody is giving our defense any credit against OU. I believe KU will get beat by about 10-14 points but I don't think OU scores more than 28 points.

Chris1955 7 years, 4 months ago

The only movie that my wife and I ever walked out of: Oxford Blues with Rob Lowe. It was so bad that I don't remember any of it, except that we left.

s6u6r6f 7 years, 4 months ago

While Pink Flamingos was the most disgusting movie I ever seen (involuntary gag reflex alert, even on the second viewing; ), The Room would have to be the worst over all: the Citizen Kane of bad movies. Rock chalk.

nuleafjhawk 7 years, 4 months ago

Hmmmm.

I've never seen PF - but if it was THAT bad - why did you give it a " second viewing " ??

Kent Wells 7 years, 4 months ago

52 comments and I think 3 had a predominant sports related text. I'm thinking were aren't into the game today! Good news is that 56-10 won't roll across the screen long!

In honor of the day and the team we play:

Stone Cold

However, Not of this Earth was a prerty bad movie.

Kent Wells 7 years, 4 months ago

2010-2012 Kansas Football

Said Gene Siskel: "You'll laugh, you'll cry. Mostly you will wonder just how bad it can get for one coaching staff. A total lack of a creative plot and a seriously unimaginitive and uninspiring movie that just seems to go on forever. Watch in disbelief as coach Turner Gill calls the same play over and over again. I feel sorry for those fans."