Sunday, October 14, 2012

LB Jake Love responds

Jake Love couldn’t get the bad play out of his mind.

Early in the third quarter of Kansas University’s 20-14 loss to Oklahoma State, the red-shirt freshman ran to the sideline to try to make a tackle on OSU receiver Charlie Moore.

“I left my feet; I didn’t wrap up very good,” Love said. “He just got away from me. It was just kind of a depressing play.

“I kind of threw him out toward where nobody was at, and off he went.”

After breaking free from Love, Moore ran 72 yards down the left side for a touchdown.

Love was able to recover quickly from the mistake thanks in part, he says, to his teammates.

Safety Bradley McDougald and linebackers Ben Heeney and Huldon Tharp made sure to find him on the sideline, talking to him after the missed tackle.

Love later came through on one of KU’s biggest defensive plays, stuffing OSU running back Joseph Randle for a three-yard loss on a third-and-five with 2:29 left.

“I was playing two gaps, so I could go either way. I was reading the fullback,” Love said. “He went right, so I just tried to trigger, because we were trying to get a big stop. I was just lucky enough to get in there and make the tackle.”

Love finished tied for a team-high with 12 tackles, which included three for loss. He was filling in for starter Tunde Bakare, who suffered a head injury in practice this week.

“I thought he was very active,” KU coach Charlie Weis said of Love. “He looked like a sore puppy in the locker room after the game was over. He looked like a guy that had just gone 15 rounds.”

Love said he felt OK after the game, indicating he was in good shape because of strength coach Scott Holsopple’s workouts.

Earlier this year, most of Love’s playing time came on special teams, as he was in on both punt return and kickoff return teams. The Tonkawa, Okla., native had posted four tackles in five games coming into Saturday’s contest.

“I kept working hard,” Love said. “I just tried to step up when my time came.”

Comments

BringBackMark 1 year, 11 months ago

It was so refreshing to see a competitive football game against a decent opponent. The linebacker play was the best we've seen since '07. The secondary was solid, and the line played as well as can be expected for being undersized and short handed. I'm quickly becoming a Campo fan.

The biggest question is have we seen the end of the Crist experiment? Frankly, now that we're 1-5 instead of 3-3 (or if you're really dreaming 5-1 was within grasp) you'd think it would be a "no brainer" to make the change to Cummings. I've waited half the season to see him in at a meaningful point in a game. Problem is, the opportunity to develop his skills against lesser opponents is now over. Starting his first game in Norman isn't going to build confidence.

Much as I hate to say it, starting Crist and letting him miss 4 or 5 wide open receivers, get sacked 2 or 3 times, and then making the change probably is the wiser approach.

troutsee 1 year, 11 months ago

Wrong!!!! Crist has had his chance and does not have the accuracy, the speed, or the elusiveness to make a difference. We have a ho-hum offense with him in the game. For the morale of the team and the fans, Cummings needs to start. I don't care if it is OU at OU. Cummings needs to start this game.

april28 1 year, 11 months ago

Jake Love played exceptionally well. The stop against Randle was virtually perfect execution by a linebacker. Though the missed tackle was costly, he's the only guy who even put a hand on a receiver on what was, essentially, a swing pass. That's why none of the other guys gave him much guff - no way that play should go for 6.

nuleafjhawk 1 year, 11 months ago

Love and Cummings played so well yesterday, it makes me wonder if they will get ANY playing time next week? Or ever again.

bradh 1 year, 11 months ago

I thought Love played well and I liked Cummings, but I didn't think Cummings played great. He lit a fire under the offense and made some nice passes, yet I think he was too ready to run and that cost us a couple of times. With a little experience he should turn out to be a nice QB.

John Mueller 1 year, 11 months ago

1. Cummings has to start next week. Crist has a double negative, lack of mobility and accuracy must be benched.

2. Love's missed tackle was huge but a lack of swarming to the ball on that play was the biggest problem. It is hard to criticize the D in probably their best effort of the year, but if you watch the play again, you will notice at least 2 Jayhawks including 24 who stop their pursuit to watch the missed tackle. It just reminds you that they are kids. Got to play to the whistle fellas!!!

3. I miss watching Pierson and look forward to his return, but James Sims is a beast!! What a huge, inspiring performance. That touchdown run was the highlight play of the year so far and at such a critical time to give hope when all felt lost in this game. Just a remarkable effort!!!!

4. I have zero problem with going for the block. Zero. This is not a very good offensive team. And, I loved the spark Cummings contributed, but he does not appear to be Tom Brady. James Sims was really our best player. We needed a short field to have the best chance of getting the win. Besides, who says that because who go for the block you get a penalty? The kid narrowly missed getting a piece of the ball which would have negated the flag.

When you have one win and a fighting chane in the 4th quarter, throw all convention out the window. Good call Coach. These kids aren't playing for an Orange Bowl invite. We just need a win. No issues with the call.

Any criticism of that call lacks context about where we are in the season.

Which brings us back to number 1. You gotta start the young guy. A. He seems to give us the best chance to win and B. he has a future, both matter at this juncture in 2012 campaign

troutsee 1 year, 11 months ago

Totally, totally agree with all your comments. Excellent post.

Micky Baker 1 year, 11 months ago

I did have a problem with going for that block. If we were going to go for a blocked punt, it should have been earlier in the game when risking a rough the kicker wouldn't have ended the game. 2:29 seconds is a long time. The best chance we had to win was to get the ball back. We should have set up a return with MacDougald who came to Kansas as a Wide Receiver I believe and has skills that he demonstrated earlier in the game with a nice return.

The offense didn't turn the ball over at all yesterday. Crist made some bad throws, some were so as not to force it to a guy with 3 or 4 defenders around him. Turzilli is making giant leaps forward and he makes the plays for his QB. Patterson is almost always open on the short crossing routes and Kale Pick just simply sells out on every play.

There were 4 or 5 good passes Crist made where the defense of OSU made good plays.

Taylor Cox had a ball that hit him in the hands, even if it was behind him a bit, he should have caught that ball. If the players now settle into the roles that are there for them now, this offense can start clicking regardless of if it is Crist or Cummings back there. TEAM EXECUTION is what it takes.

dick_hawk 1 year, 11 months ago

Good to see a small town kid play. That missed tackle by Love should not cost KU a TD, where's the swarm? 15-20 yards at best, not a TD. Coaches are at fault for the breakdown as much as the players.

Cummings better start next week, Crist has no future as a player.

milehighhawk 1 year, 11 months ago

I had Jake in class last year - great to see him make the most of the opportunity!

tical523 1 year, 11 months ago

I loved watching Love fly around out there yesterday, when he signed I was excited to get him after watching his high school stuff even though from a small school. I love the way those small town boys play because they usually have to prove themselves. That being said I love Tunde as well, he absolutely flies around similar to Heeney. This is a good LB group and getting better every week, I am seeing great progress in the team and think we are going to be a pain in the butt for some teams down the stretch. Also, I hope that Cummings comes out and plays well next week because he reminds me a lot of Reesing (cliche) in the way he scrambled to throw and could throw well when running sideways. Rock Chalk Pancho Hawk.