Sunday, October 14, 2012

Hoops target Joel Embiid elevates KU

Joel Embiid, one of three uncommitted high school senior basketball prospects who attended Friday’s Late Night in the Phog, on Sunday listed Kansas University as his current leader in recruiting.

Embiid, an unranked 7-foot, 220-pound senior center from Rock School in Gainesville, Fla., told Rivals.com: “I had a great visit. I’m going to visit Virginia, Florida and one other school to compare those schools to my visit to Kansas.”

The Cameroon native in the past has also mentioned Louisville, UCLA, Marquette, Texas, DePaul and Wake Forest.

“Had a great time this weekend,” Embiid wrote on Twitter on Sunday.

Also on hand for Late Night: No. 5-ranked Aaron Gordon, 6-8 from Archbishop Mitty High in San Jose, Calif., and No. 23 Wayne Selden, 6-5 from Tilton (N.H.) School.

“KU was tight! Rock chalk is kinda on point haha,” Gordon wrote on Twitter on Sunday. Gordon is considering KU, Arizona, Washington, Kentucky, Oregon and California. Selden is considering KU, Arizona, Washington, Kentucky, Oregon and California. Selden is considering KU, Syracuse, Florida, Missouri, UCLA and Ohio State.

Roberson visits Rutgers: No. 29-ranked Tyler Roberson, a 6-8 senior from Roselle (N.J.) Catholic, made an unofficial visit to Rutgers last weekend.

“They would use me,” Roberson told zagsblog.com. “I’ll make an impact with the team right away. They want me to play on the wing. They’ll use me in a lot of different ways on the court.”

He added: “It would be nice to go to a big school and stay home. I think it would be exciting to do something like that.”

Roberson, who has visited SMU and Syracuse, will visit KU next weekend, Villanova (Oct. 26) and Kentucky (Nov. 2).

“It will be all over soon because I hope to make a decision in the fall,” Roberson told zagsblog.com.

Woolridge takes dunk contest: Former KU guard Royce Woolridge won the slam dunk contest at Washington State’s ZZU Mania kickoff scrimmage on Friday. The 6-3 sophomore-from Phoenix had a between-the-legs dunk that proved to be the winner.

Woolridge is battling for starting point-guard position at WSU, a team that will play KU at 9 p.m., Nov. 19, at Sprint Center in Kansas City, Mo.

“I feel like there’s a lot more responsibility,” Woolridge told cougfan.com, referring to trying to replace standout point guard Reggie Moore. “The whole team is coming together and we’re just ready and looking forward to the season. ... I can score, I can pass, I can do a little bit of everything so I’ll do whatever the team needs me to do basically.”

Comments

sillys 1 year, 6 months ago

$85 an hour! Seriously I don't know why more people haven't tried this, I work two shifts, 2 hours in the day and 2 in the evening…And whats awesome is Im working from home so I get more time with my kids. Heres where I went, Blue31dotc om

Joe Baker 1 year, 6 months ago

I really think Embiid would provide a nice recruiting touch for Self's team strategy. I agree, you need a big big with up up side. Embiid is a Self project and no other coach on his list could develop him better.

I really like what KU has right now with or without Embiid. I really think Embiid is going to commit based on his choices. I don't see the other options measuring up to his experience. I think Embiid is KU's to lose.

Nick Hamill 1 year, 6 months ago

Selden is going to be an absolute BEASTMASTER.

Michael Luby 1 year, 6 months ago

Lemme say that Kenstinky doesnt stand a chance against us. This year, or next, and possibly for the forseeable future. OH and one more thing, CS will break 500 wins this year

jhawkr 1 year, 6 months ago

If Eddie Sutton could turn Bryant Reeves into Big Country extraordinaire, then Coach Self and Hudy can turn JoJo into Wilt the next Generation !!

jaybate 1 year, 6 months ago

I've just come back from the ER, where a I got the paddles to restart my heart after learning that Selden signed.

SELDEN!!!!!!!

Excuse me. I've got to go back to the ER!!!

jaybate 1 year, 6 months ago

Selden Committed?

Awesome!!!!!

This guy comes and Self is gold.

Embiid and/or the other big that attended come and Self is platinum, maybe palladium, maybe unobtainium!!!!!!!

bennybob, our recruiting hypotheses might be in deep ca-ca if Wild Bill has one or two more hat rabbits to pull out!!! :-)

Oh, I've never hoped to be wrong any more than I am hoping now!!!!!

Please, basketball god and ShoeCo-Summer Game-Agency Complex, please let me be wrong two more times in Jo Jo Embiid and Aaron Gordon!!!!!

I will gladly have .22short dance on my corpse to land those two to go with Selden, Frankamp, and Greene. That would be an obscenely good recruiting class. That would be a kick ass and take names later kind of class. Add that class to what we should have returning next season and we might as well start sewing another banner!!!!

texashawk10 1 year, 6 months ago

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that since this kid grew up in Cameroon that he's played quite a bit of soccer which translates to great footwork, evidenced by the videos that are out there. I've also read that this kid doesn't get bullied out of position already even with his frame so I would love to see what just how strong Hudy could make him and what kind of beast Embiid could become on the defensive end of the floor.

REHawk 1 year, 6 months ago

Is terrific to get a Late Night visit from a spectacular athlete who commits quickly with no shillyshallying delays. Also, reassuring to read words of a sought after recruit who declares that he and his family feel that KU is the right fit. I've a feeling that Joel Embiid might fit well, too, into the shoes of some of the past notable Jayhawk bigs. Though still green on the court, he looks to have the volleyball timing which has led Jeff Withey to prominence.

REHawk 1 year, 6 months ago

BOOM! is right-on! Wow! Congratulations, Coach Self and staff. What a terrific class for 2013. Now if we can land a big kid, fans are set to kick back and continue to enjoy more fabulous Jayhawk basketball for the near future.

86Jayhawk 1 year, 6 months ago

Wild Bill strikes again. I hope all the recruiting nay-sayers are watching next year's class become increasingly dominant.

86Jayhawk 1 year, 6 months ago

Selden to KU! Best news of the year! Now, let's lock down JoJo

Konkis Dongington III 1 year, 6 months ago

SELDEN TO KANSAS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bizzy0712 1 year, 6 months ago

But it is according to ESPN, so even better!!!!

Brianna Zaleski 1 year, 6 months ago

Selden just committed to the Jayhawks! Per the bleacher report

HawkKlaw 1 year, 6 months ago

So Embiid's probably a "yes."

What say you, Selden?

Miguel Colón 1 year, 6 months ago

Think about it, if this kid delevops a Mutombo like game, or maybe learn the Dream Shake from Olajuwon, I WANT THIS KID! I also want Peters and Selden, and to marry Jennifer Anniston....sorry got off subject.

Tony Bandle 1 year, 6 months ago

Jo Jo "The Impaler" Embiid...any shot near him, he spikes.

Sometimes the opportunity missed is actually the opportunity gained, i.e. Shephard choosing TCU over KU, thus opening the door for Jo Jo.

As Yogi once said, 'You never really know, until you know.!!"

William Blake 1 year, 6 months ago

My bet is Embiid is a fast learner. He has very little past basketball history behind him, but that can be an advantage compared to players who have played their entire lives with bad habits. Usually, it is easier to teach a new habit from scratch, versus having to overcome past bad habits.

In the Embiid clip above he is doing things that few of our past big men could do coming in (or going out) of KU. Granted, I'm not sure we ever need a footer who can dunk after going between his legs... but doesn't that show a certain amount of raw ability that is rarely obtained through coaching?

He seems to be worth giving the opportunity....

REHawk 1 year, 6 months ago

JoJo Embiid looks to be a project worth the full pursuit. And satisfying to read that Royce W. is on track to play his way into the lineup for a major program. A transfer for whom I can cheer (but for his Sprint Center appearance Nov. 19).

jaybate 1 year, 6 months ago

I'm still eagerly awaiting comment on how Tharpe looked. Did he show signs of a 15-20 minute man?

Y or N

clevelandjayhawker 1 year, 6 months ago

Anyone at late night- could you rate or describe the improvement of the new video boards?

Saw the new dream on video, 16 mins of greatness (thanks youtube)

jaybate 1 year, 6 months ago

actorman, my personal values are with you, but KU has to heal, so the pain and anger does not get displaced onto Coach Weis, when the going gets tough, as it does in rebuilds. So I am trying to see the Liberty glass half full and spread some healing love. And I really do think Coach Weis has turned a corner and can get it done. There are moral victories during rebuilding. OSU was one. But he's got to be allowed his five years.

ArgyleJayhawks 1 year, 6 months ago

Glad Royce landed on his feet...hope he has success at Wash St

jaybate 1 year, 6 months ago

Bartender, set'em up. Two yards of the greatest brew of all for me and my pal, mojayhawk.

Life.

Ain't it grand?

And too damned short for sure.

Drink deeply, mojayhawk.

Fill yourself to the brim with it.

Its so, so very sweet, as it makes fools of one and all.

To life and liberty and the pursuit of happiness then.

And to big paychecks for playing the game.

jaybate 1 year, 6 months ago

"Turner Gill Update or All's Well that Ends Well"

How sweet it is.

First Coach Weis turns the corner with KU and almost steals a win vs. a more talented Okie State team.

And now, after going 0 for 4 at Liberty, Turner has turned the corner with 2 straight wins, the latest one a 56-7 blow out!

Coach Weis is finally some where that really appreciates him and Coach Gill is somewhere that really appreciates him.

And both men are massively richer than if there had been no change.

The lord truly does work in mysterious, almost barroque, ways sometimes.

And to steal from that Shakesp-a-herian rag, as Tommie Eliot was want to do...

All's well that ends well...

and...

Much ado about nothing.

Rock Chalk!!!!

jaybate 1 year, 6 months ago

Great Unsung Moments in KU Hoops History:

Not all great KU Hoops memories are great players like Mario Chalmers coming up MEGA with "the shot" for a ring. Some involve unsung players. And some are recent.

Conner Teahan, the Kansas City kid, the 5h year walk-on with the one year ride, the kid no one but Self and his teammates believed in anymore, the kid with the slow feet and the unconscious practice gun with the shaky game sight, playing his heart out for big minutes, down the stretch of last season and doing what most said he could never do--be a rotation player on a team that went to the NCAA Finals!

Thank you Conner Teahan!

jaybate 1 year, 6 months ago

Props to the entire community for not starting to hand wring about AWhite missing 4 of 5 in the scrimmage. :-)

jaybate 1 year, 6 months ago

Ooops, ceant to mut that last one there. :-)

jaybate 1 year, 6 months ago

"Double Down Sport Shoonerisms for the Attention Challenged aka Twits for Tweets"

• Sock cuckers show gort.

• Low Cord wounts are por shussies.

• Ton't dread on me for how gong I low, Browl on scry.

• Say whatever you sot to gay wowever you whant.

• Chalk is teap, but bilence is soaring.

• Wive it a gest, its hime for toops.

:-)

• Wwlo many tords

jaybate 1 year, 6 months ago

Imbed Embiid at Lawrence.

He doesn't have a tall ceiling: he has sky.

Best "project" I have ever seen, if he's really 17-18 years old. Not if he is really 21-22.

If 17-18, he could even grow an inch or two, and not just KU inches, but real ones

The only problem is whether the NBA will let him stay 2-3 years to develop. For just one year, he may not be worth the trouble.

If 17-18, and he would promise to stay two seasons, then Norm should just fly to Florida, rent a condo and stay there till he signs him.

Dirk Medema 1 year, 6 months ago

It would be nice to have Gordon or 1 of the other PF's as well.

Jeff Schartz 1 year, 6 months ago

Reminds me of another former 7 footer that played as a jayhawk long ago....he revolutionized basketball as they had known it. This guy.....whew!

Robin Smith 1 year, 6 months ago

He was discovered and encouraged by his fellow countryman Luc Richard Mbah a Moute formerly of UCLA now playing with the Bucks. He's been playing for only a couple of years, 2 or 3 I'd guess, but I don't have confirmation in this article:

It's an Insider's article, but here's a couple quotes. This was written on Oct. 2nd 2012.

"It’s amazing to think that Embiid came to the States last October and played his first organized ball game in January....

Think about this for a second. The sum total of Embiid’s experience includes two camps in Africa, being schooled by Ashley and half a season at Montverde. Based off what I saw last weekend, it’s conceivable that this young man could finish the year as the best center prospect in the country. "

He definitely cautions that he is a project with potential but essentially his rate of improvement has him making the above conclusion.

Alohahawk 1 year, 6 months ago

I must have been out to lunch because, before this, I missed that Joel Embiid's nickname is JoJo. Now that's a recognizable Jayhawk name if there ever has been. Maybe only second or third to Wilt and Danny. Here's hoping KU remains at the top of his list. Way to go "Late Night" !!!!

Scott MacWilliams 1 year, 6 months ago

Okay, looks good to me.

How long has he been playing ball? Why is he still unranked then? How much beef does he need to add to deal with D1 hoops? I'm sure HCBS has all the answers and will act accordingly.

As usual, Rock Chalk, Jayhawks!!!