Sunday, October 14, 2012

Hoops target Joel Embiid elevates KU

Joel Embiid, one of three uncommitted high school senior basketball prospects who attended Friday’s Late Night in the Phog, on Sunday listed Kansas University as his current leader in recruiting.

Embiid, an unranked 7-foot, 220-pound senior center from Rock School in Gainesville, Fla., told Rivals.com: “I had a great visit. I’m going to visit Virginia, Florida and one other school to compare those schools to my visit to Kansas.”

The Cameroon native in the past has also mentioned Louisville, UCLA, Marquette, Texas, DePaul and Wake Forest.

“Had a great time this weekend,” Embiid wrote on Twitter on Sunday.

Also on hand for Late Night: No. 5-ranked Aaron Gordon, 6-8 from Archbishop Mitty High in San Jose, Calif., and No. 23 Wayne Selden, 6-5 from Tilton (N.H.) School.

“KU was tight! Rock chalk is kinda on point haha,” Gordon wrote on Twitter on Sunday. Gordon is considering KU, Arizona, Washington, Kentucky, Oregon and California. Selden is considering KU, Arizona, Washington, Kentucky, Oregon and California. Selden is considering KU, Syracuse, Florida, Missouri, UCLA and Ohio State.

Roberson visits Rutgers: No. 29-ranked Tyler Roberson, a 6-8 senior from Roselle (N.J.) Catholic, made an unofficial visit to Rutgers last weekend.

“They would use me,” Roberson told zagsblog.com. “I’ll make an impact with the team right away. They want me to play on the wing. They’ll use me in a lot of different ways on the court.”

He added: “It would be nice to go to a big school and stay home. I think it would be exciting to do something like that.”

Roberson, who has visited SMU and Syracuse, will visit KU next weekend, Villanova (Oct. 26) and Kentucky (Nov. 2).

“It will be all over soon because I hope to make a decision in the fall,” Roberson told zagsblog.com.

Woolridge takes dunk contest: Former KU guard Royce Woolridge won the slam dunk contest at Washington State’s ZZU Mania kickoff scrimmage on Friday. The 6-3 sophomore-from Phoenix had a between-the-legs dunk that proved to be the winner.

Woolridge is battling for starting point-guard position at WSU, a team that will play KU at 9 p.m., Nov. 19, at Sprint Center in Kansas City, Mo.

“I feel like there’s a lot more responsibility,” Woolridge told cougfan.com, referring to trying to replace standout point guard Reggie Moore. “The whole team is coming together and we’re just ready and looking forward to the season. ... I can score, I can pass, I can do a little bit of everything so I’ll do whatever the team needs me to do basically.”

Comments

Mike Bratisax 2 years, 1 month ago

PASS! We have enough project players already.

Dirk Medema 2 years, 2 months ago

He does not look like a 7. He seems really athletic and fluid. He'd be really nice to have ready to take over the middle for Withey.

yates33333 2 years, 2 months ago

I've only seen still pictures of him, but I bet you he is a "project." He is pretty close to 7', as close as any who are said to be now-a-days.

jaybate 2 years, 2 months ago

Question: is Jamari 6-9 yet? It's been almost a full day since he grew the last inch. :-)

jhox 2 years, 2 months ago

I agree with Dagger, very fluid for a big man and soft hands. They didn't show many outside shots which could be good or it could be bad. It could be that he doesn't have much of one or, maybe he just likes to dunk on people (a very good trait in a 7 footer.) Either way, he looks like an immediate impact kind of guy.

It looks to me like all he needs is Hudy to pack a few pounds of muscle on that frame.

Joel Hood 2 years, 2 months ago

We saw him at Late Night. Obviously, I can't prove he is legit 7 footer, but he looked well north of 6-10.

soapisurfriend 2 years, 2 months ago

He has an above average face-up game that is still ever-improving to go along with great shot blocking ability, a stuff-in-your- face attitude, and a devastating spin-move (his best offensive weapon, in my opinion). Take this to the bank: Jo will be the best center in this class and he will quickly ascend up the rankings before his senior year is finished.

Krohnutz 2 years, 2 months ago

Well, not sure how often a 7 footer in high school is going to convince his coach that jacking up ranged jumpers is the best thing to do. To be honest, with his inside game I would be happy if he can just consistently hit free throws, and let him bang away in the paint.

Mike Bratisax 2 years, 2 months ago

I'm not agreeing nor disagreeing but until I get to see him play unfiltered by select YouTube videos and ridiculous comparisons to other players, I'm not buying into any hype.

Ron Franklin 2 years, 2 months ago

Maybe 6'10" with shoes and a KU inch. That is the most fluid footer I've ever seen--especially considering he's only been playing two years. He sure is wirey though.

Krohnutz 2 years, 2 months ago

Nothing a certain female weight trainer cannot fix.

Scott MacWilliams 2 years, 2 months ago

Okay, looks good to me.

How long has he been playing ball? Why is he still unranked then? How much beef does he need to add to deal with D1 hoops? I'm sure HCBS has all the answers and will act accordingly.

As usual, Rock Chalk, Jayhawks!!!

Robin Smith 2 years, 2 months ago

6'11" 230 according to his profile now. Ten pounds less than Cole Aldrich.

Ryan Mullen 2 years, 2 months ago

This dude would eat Cole for lunch, puke him up and then finish him off for dinner.

Mike Bratisax 2 years, 1 month ago

No hyperbole there jayhawkinmullen. Less than two years experience and he's going to eat Cole Aldrich? Is Cameroon known for cannibalism and regurgitated cannibalism?

milehighhawk 2 years, 2 months ago

He's been playing ball for less than 2 years.

Dave Telep tweeted that Embiid will jump AT LEAST to the top 50 in the next ratings that come out. Loves the kid. It's tough not to.

frontrangejayhawk 2 years, 2 months ago

Played his first game in January. (according to ESPN)

Alohahawk 2 years, 2 months ago

I must have been out to lunch because, before this, I missed that Joel Embiid's nickname is JoJo. Now that's a recognizable Jayhawk name if there ever has been. Maybe only second or third to Wilt and Danny. Here's hoping KU remains at the top of his list. Way to go "Late Night" !!!!

Robin Smith 2 years, 2 months ago

He was discovered and encouraged by his fellow countryman Luc Richard Mbah a Moute formerly of UCLA now playing with the Bucks. He's been playing for only a couple of years, 2 or 3 I'd guess, but I don't have confirmation in this article:

It's an Insider's article, but here's a couple quotes. This was written on Oct. 2nd 2012.

"It’s amazing to think that Embiid came to the States last October and played his first organized ball game in January....

Think about this for a second. The sum total of Embiid’s experience includes two camps in Africa, being schooled by Ashley and half a season at Montverde. Based off what I saw last weekend, it’s conceivable that this young man could finish the year as the best center prospect in the country. "

He definitely cautions that he is a project with potential but essentially his rate of improvement has him making the above conclusion.

Robin Smith 2 years, 2 months ago

Brandon Ashley, Arizona's elite recruit, is who is being referred to above.

They played and Ashley scored 25 and fouled Embiid out, but JoJo now says he could hold his own. Recruiting analyst Dave Telep, who wrote the above-linked article, seems to be in agreement that his improvement makes this a believeable statement. He credits Embiid with "immense talent" and great "confidence"

Robin Smith 2 years, 2 months ago

“Against Findlay, Brandon Ashley was good,” Embiid said. “But if I played a game against him now, I would beat him. I was new. I didn’t know how to guard the post. Now, I can guard centers or power forward.”

This is the Embiid quote.

Jeff Schartz 2 years, 2 months ago

Reminds me of another former 7 footer that played as a jayhawk long ago....he revolutionized basketball as they had known it. This guy.....whew!

yates33333 2 years, 2 months ago

That 7 footer was about 7' 2" and as strong as an ox. Also a world class high jumper for his time. There will be only one Wilt and he was.

JayhawkRock78 2 years, 2 months ago

Wilt is a favorite of mine. Unbelievable ball player and a great track athlete, but I'm not sure I would call him a world class high jumper. 6' 6" in 1957 was great, but since the olympics were won at 7 foot the previous year he wouldn't have been in the same class. Way back in 1912 he would have been world class as the world record was 6' 7" back then.

Dirk Medema 2 years, 2 months ago

It would be nice to have Gordon or 1 of the other PF's as well.

jaybate 2 years, 2 months ago

Imbed Embiid at Lawrence.

He doesn't have a tall ceiling: he has sky.

Best "project" I have ever seen, if he's really 17-18 years old. Not if he is really 21-22.

If 17-18, he could even grow an inch or two, and not just KU inches, but real ones

The only problem is whether the NBA will let him stay 2-3 years to develop. For just one year, he may not be worth the trouble.

If 17-18, and he would promise to stay two seasons, then Norm should just fly to Florida, rent a condo and stay there till he signs him.

Miguel Colón 2 years, 2 months ago

JAY, I agree I love this kids upside. I think he will be a great addition.

Mike Bratisax 2 years, 1 month ago

Completely disagree.. I think NBA has learned it's lesson from their preference for potential over proven talent.

Why would any NBA team put him on their roster when he can get far more experience playing college ball? (Actually that might be a pretty dumb question) But it would be better for the game..

jaybate 2 years, 2 months ago

"Double Down Sport Shoonerisms for the Attention Challenged aka Twits for Tweets"

• Sock cuckers show gort.

• Low Cord wounts are por shussies.

• Ton't dread on me for how gong I low, Browl on scry.

• Say whatever you sot to gay wowever you whant.

• Chalk is teap, but bilence is soaring.

• Wive it a gest, its hime for toops.

:-)

• Wwlo many tords

jaybate 2 years, 2 months ago

To the management and the community,

I do apologize. I wrote a bunch of short spoonerisms about going long and short and so forth. I lead off with one that was off color, because I thought people post stuff like Muck Fizzou around here. I assumed it would not be a violation of the user agreement do something similar. But now that I know it is considered inappropriate, I will have no problem ceasing and desisting on off color spoonerisms henceforth. Again, my apologies to those offended in management and the community.

nuleafjhawk 2 years, 2 months ago

bayjate - surely the management and community yank thoo mery vuch.

jaybate 2 years, 2 months ago

Ooops, ceant to mut that last one there. :-)

Ron Franklin 2 years, 2 months ago

Welcome to the Team, Usage Agreement Abuser :)

jaybate 2 years, 2 months ago

Props to the entire community for not starting to hand wring about AWhite missing 4 of 5 in the scrimmage. :-)

Great Unsung Moments in KU Hoops History:

Not all great KU Hoops memories are great players like Mario Chalmers coming up MEGA with "the shot" for a ring. Some involve unsung players. And some are recent.

Conner Teahan, the Kansas City kid, the 5h year walk-on with the one year ride, the kid no one but Self and his teammates believed in anymore, the kid with the slow feet and the unconscious practice gun with the shaky game sight, playing his heart out for big minutes, down the stretch of last season and doing what most said he could never do--be a rotation player on a team that went to the NCAA Finals!

Thank you Conner Teahan!

jaybate 2 years, 2 months ago

"Turner Gill Update or All's Well that Ends Well"

How sweet it is.

First Coach Weis turns the corner with KU and almost steals a win vs. a more talented Okie State team.

And now, after going 0 for 4 at Liberty, Turner has turned the corner with 2 straight wins, the latest one a 56-7 blow out!

Coach Weis is finally some where that really appreciates him and Coach Gill is somewhere that really appreciates him.

And both men are massively richer than if there had been no change.

The lord truly does work in mysterious, almost barroque, ways sometimes.

And to steal from that Shakesp-a-herian rag, as Tommie Eliot was want to do...

All's well that ends well...

and...

Much ado about nothing.

Rock Chalk!!!!

yates33333 2 years, 2 months ago

Stick with basketball. That's where you are a superstar.

actorman 2 years, 2 months ago

That's nice that TG is doing well, but why does it have to be at Liberty?

I could NEVER root for a school that was founded by Jerry Falwell.

jaybate 2 years, 2 months ago

Thanks Yates, I try to, because football equals early dementia for so many players, but every time KU football fans go weak in the knees about a rebuild, it costs The Legacy Another $5-6m that could have gone to hoops, and that has to stop!

So: though I know I am I'll-equipped for the task, I feel duty and honor bound to proselytize for keeping Coach Weis, come hell or high water. Some one has to start laying groundwork now, or there's going to be another coach run in two years. And I really do think Coach Weis can get it done in 5 years.

We have to avoid early dismissal at all costs this time.

jaybate 2 years, 2 months ago

Well, it's not right for you and me, but maybe it is for him. Just trying to be generous of spirit.

jaybate 2 years, 2 months ago

Bartender, set'em up. Two yards of the greatest brew of all for me and my pal, mojayhawk.

Life.

Ain't it grand?

And too damned short for sure.

Drink deeply, mojayhawk.

Fill yourself to the brim with it.

Its so, so very sweet, as it makes fools of one and all.

To life and liberty and the pursuit of happiness then.

And to big paychecks for playing the game.

actorman 2 years, 2 months ago

To life and liberty, yes. To Liberty, no. (See above.)

ArgyleJayhawks 2 years, 2 months ago

Glad Royce landed on his feet...hope he has success at Wash St

Mike Bratisax 2 years, 1 month ago

I'm glad someone finally got around to Royce. Who would help Kansas more.. Royce or Frank Mason?

I know what my answer would be.

jaybate 2 years, 2 months ago

actorman, my personal values are with you, but KU has to heal, so the pain and anger does not get displaced onto Coach Weis, when the going gets tough, as it does in rebuilds. So I am trying to see the Liberty glass half full and spread some healing love. And I really do think Coach Weis has turned a corner and can get it done. There are moral victories during rebuilding. OSU was one. But he's got to be allowed his five years.

Mike Bratisax 2 years, 1 month ago

Not a believer in "moral victories". Even with that said, Coach Weis certainly deserves a minimum of four years. Maybe the Oklahoma State game will give Kansas some needed confidence but moral victories are for the fans, not the players.

clevelandjayhawker 2 years, 2 months ago

Anyone at late night- could you rate or describe the improvement of the new video boards?

Saw the new dream on video, 16 mins of greatness (thanks youtube)

RockChalkGuy 2 years, 2 months ago

The boards were great. I have to say, I went to Late Night in 2010 and had a good time...this year was incredibly different...it was awesome. The show, the boards, the players, the videos all made for an amazing environment. I actually left with ears ringing. At times, it paralleled some of the recent great games like the throttling of MU or the silencing of Beasley.

Mike Bratisax 2 years, 1 month ago

The throttling of Missouri? I know you must be talking about a different year than last year.

Two very hard-fought games that could have gone two for Missouri or two for Kansas.

jaybate 2 years, 2 months ago

I'm still eagerly awaiting comment on how Tharpe looked. Did he show signs of a 15-20 minute man?

Y or N

RockChalkGuy 2 years, 2 months ago

Considering the hype of Tharpe, I was a little disappointed that he didn't show more. I'm anxious for this guy to be the next great point guard.

REHawk 2 years, 2 months ago

JoJo Embiid looks to be a project worth the full pursuit. And satisfying to read that Royce W. is on track to play his way into the lineup for a major program. A transfer for whom I can cheer (but for his Sprint Center appearance Nov. 19).

Mike Bratisax 2 years, 1 month ago

drgslayr, how do you know that? And yes, while it might be better to mold him from untouched clay, he has practically no experience. You can't just take a well conditioned young man and have him preform at a high level in any sport with so little experience.

Just using the Morris brothers, Cole, TRob and Withey as guides, I cannot see how he could contribute much until at least his junior year and they had Manning to teach them.

I say pass.

Tony Bandle 2 years, 2 months ago

Jo Jo "The Impaler" Embiid...any shot near him, he spikes.

Sometimes the opportunity missed is actually the opportunity gained, i.e. Shephard choosing TCU over KU, thus opening the door for Jo Jo.

As Yogi once said, 'You never really know, until you know.!!"

Miguel Colón 2 years, 2 months ago

Think about it, if this kid delevops a Mutombo like game, or maybe learn the Dream Shake from Olajuwon, I WANT THIS KID! I also want Peters and Selden, and to marry Jennifer Anniston....sorry got off subject.

HawkKlaw 2 years, 2 months ago

So Embiid's probably a "yes."

What say you, Selden?

Brianna Zaleski 2 years, 2 months ago

Selden just committed to the Jayhawks! Per the bleacher report

Hozzy11 2 years, 2 months ago

what a big Get by Coach Self and Co!

86Jayhawk 2 years, 2 months ago

Selden to KU! Best news of the year! Now, let's lock down JoJo

86Jayhawk 2 years, 2 months ago

Wild Bill strikes again. I hope all the recruiting nay-sayers are watching next year's class become increasingly dominant.

REHawk 2 years, 2 months ago

BOOM! is right-on! Wow! Congratulations, Coach Self and staff. What a terrific class for 2013. Now if we can land a big kid, fans are set to kick back and continue to enjoy more fabulous Jayhawk basketball for the near future.

REHawk 2 years, 2 months ago

Is terrific to get a Late Night visit from a spectacular athlete who commits quickly with no shillyshallying delays. Also, reassuring to read words of a sought after recruit who declares that he and his family feel that KU is the right fit. I've a feeling that Joel Embiid might fit well, too, into the shoes of some of the past notable Jayhawk bigs. Though still green on the court, he looks to have the volleyball timing which has led Jeff Withey to prominence.

texashawk10 2 years, 2 months ago

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that since this kid grew up in Cameroon that he's played quite a bit of soccer which translates to great footwork, evidenced by the videos that are out there. I've also read that this kid doesn't get bullied out of position already even with his frame so I would love to see what just how strong Hudy could make him and what kind of beast Embiid could become on the defensive end of the floor.

Selden Committed?

Awesome!!!!!

This guy comes and Self is gold.

Embiid and/or the other big that attended come and Self is platinum, maybe palladium, maybe unobtainium!!!!!!!

bennybob, our recruiting hypotheses might be in deep ca-ca if Wild Bill has one or two more hat rabbits to pull out!!! :-)

Oh, I've never hoped to be wrong any more than I am hoping now!!!!!

Please, basketball god and ShoeCo-Summer Game-Agency Complex, please let me be wrong two more times in Jo Jo Embiid and Aaron Gordon!!!!!

I will gladly have .22short dance on my corpse to land those two to go with Selden, Frankamp, and Greene. That would be an obscenely good recruiting class. That would be a kick ass and take names later kind of class. Add that class to what we should have returning next season and we might as well start sewing another banner!!!!

Alohahawk 2 years, 2 months ago

I'm still LOFLMAO, after that "dance on my corpse" line. In fact, I almost choked on my lunch.

jaybate 2 years, 2 months ago

I've just come back from the ER, where a I got the paddles to restart my heart after learning that Selden signed.

SELDEN!!!!!!!

Excuse me. I've got to go back to the ER!!!

soapisurfriend 2 years, 2 months ago

Well he didn't sign....err...forget it I don't want to jinx anything.

jhawkr 2 years, 2 months ago

If Eddie Sutton could turn Bryant Reeves into Big Country extraordinaire, then Coach Self and Hudy can turn JoJo into Wilt the next Generation !!

Michael Luby 2 years, 2 months ago

Lemme say that Kenstinky doesnt stand a chance against us. This year, or next, and possibly for the forseeable future. OH and one more thing, CS will break 500 wins this year

Nick Hamill 2 years, 2 months ago

Selden is going to be an absolute BEASTMASTER.

Joe Baker 2 years, 2 months ago

I really think Embiid would provide a nice recruiting touch for Self's team strategy. I agree, you need a big big with up up side. Embiid is a Self project and no other coach on his list could develop him better.

I really like what KU has right now with or without Embiid. I really think Embiid is going to commit based on his choices. I don't see the other options measuring up to his experience. I think Embiid is KU's to lose.