Saturday, October 13, 2012

Late Night notebook: Rio Adams gets a boost

Kansas University senior leader Elijah Johnson was pleased to see freshman Rio Adams score three points and dish two assists in the scrimmage portion of Friday’s Late Night in the Phog in Allen Fieldhouse.

“He’s the kid in this group that was having a hard time adjusting,” Johnson said of the Seattle combo guard. “He was struggling, man. He still is. He needed tonight. He needed it bad because all he saw was the tough part. He vents to me all the time since Day One. So tonight to walk him out there and show him, ‘Coach isn’t yelling at you for no reason’ … I could see it in his face. This meant everything to him. He’s never been to an event here, ever. He’s seen it on TV.

“I enjoyed that. I told him, ‘Take it all in. We’ve got three more weeks until we get rolling.’’’

Adams, who swished one of two three-pointers, had one of the scrimmage highlights. He fired a no-look pass to Jeff Withey for a dunk. Another highlight-reel play was a Ben McLemore slam dunk off a lob from Andrew White III.

KU coach Self said junior Justin Wesley (four points, two rebounds) was on scholarship again this year. He arrived as a walk-on transfer from Lamar.

Three top high school senior basketball prospects sat behind the northwest bench.

They were: Aaron Gordon, 6-8 forward, Archibishop Mitty High, San Jose, Calif.; Wayne Selden, 6-5 combo guard, Tilton (N.H.) High; and Joel Embiid, 7-foot center, Rock School, Gainesville, Fla. Also, future KU player Conner Frankamp, a 6-foot senior guard from Wichita North who has orally committed to KU, attended.

Juniors in attendance were: Clayton Custer, a 6-0 guard, Blue Valley Northwest; Lourawls Nairn, 5-9 guard, Wichita Sunrise Christian Academy; and Elbert Robinson, 6-10 forward, Lakeview Centennial, Garland, Texas.

KU football coach Charlie Weis spoke to the fans. His Jayhawks will play host to Oklahoma State at 2:30 p.m. today in Memorial Stadium.

“It’s supposed to be inclement weather, and I hope it is. I hope it pours, the wind is blowing, and I hope it’s a miserable day for Oklahoma State,” Weis said to the roar of the fans. “Tomorrow will be a challenge. You have two choices: stay warm at home or get wet with me.”

Self will host a panel discussion with a group that includes ESPN’s Jay Bilas and the Sporting News’ Mike DeCourcy at 6 p.m., Nov. 1, at Crown Toyota Pavilion in Lawrence. A question-and-answer session will follow the panel discussion. Proceeds from the event will benefit Self’s Assist Foundation programs. Tickets are available online at http://assistyouth.givezooks.com/

Comments

Jeffery Barrett 1 year, 6 months ago

On a basketball note, ESPN is airing a "30 for 30" documentary about James Naismiths' rules of basketball and how they got "home".

TexasHawk44 1 year, 6 months ago

Thanks for that, Slingblade. Er, I mean Slingbate....

NEXT! :-)

jaybate 1 year, 6 months ago

Clayton Custer, a 6-0 guard, Blue Valley Northwest

p>Scout.com

Schools of Interest: School Interest Level Offer? Visit Date Signed LOI? Kansas Med Interest No None
Kansas State Med Interest No None
Missouri Med Interest No None

; Lourawls Nairn, 5-9 guard, Wichita Sunrise Christian Academy...

p>Scout.com Search Results for Lourawls Nairn We did not find any results for Lourawls Nairn. Please try another search.

IS THAT ALL THERE IS? Peggy Lee

SPOKEN: I remember when I was a very little girl, our house caught on fire. I'll never forget the look on my father's face as he gathered me up in his arms and raced through the burning building out to the pavement. I stood there shivering in my pajamas and watched the whole world go up in flames. And when it was all over I said to myself, "Is that all there is to a fire"

SUNG: Is that all there is, is that all there is If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing Let's break out the booze and have a ball If that's all there is

SPOKEN: And when I was 12 years old, my father took me to a circus, the greatest show on earth. There were clowns and elephants and dancing bears. And a beautiful lady in pink tights flew high above our heads. And so I sat there watching the marvelous spectacle. I had the feeling that something was missing. I don't know what, but when it was over, I said to myself, "is that all there is to a circus?

SPOKEN: Then I fell in love, head over heels in love, with the most wonderful boy in the world. We would take long walks by the river or just sit for hours gazing into each other's eyes. We were so very much in love. Then one day he went away and I thought I'd die, but I didn't, and when I didn't I said to myself, "is that all there is to love?"

SPOKEN: I know what you must be saying to yourselves, if that's the way she feels about it why doesn't she just end it all? Oh, no, not me. I'm in no hurry for that final disappointment, for I know just as well as I'm standing here talking to you, when that final moment comes and I'm breathing my lst breath, I'll be saying to myself

texashawk10 1 year, 6 months ago

I hope the struggles Rio are going through are just adjusting to the college game and not college life. If his struggles are adjusting to the college game, then that's something fairly common and he should be able to overcome that through practice and getting a few minutes here and there. If he's struggling to adjust to college life, then Adams could be a potential transfer candidate to go somewhere closer to home so he can have a support system close to him. If it is the adjustment to college life that he's struggling with, then I hope Cindy Self and the rest of the team moms can be a good enough support system for Rio so that he doesn't transfer out because I do think Adams has the potential to be a pretty good player in a couple of seasons.

rockchalkchalkin23 1 year, 6 months ago

Rio

You're in good hands with EJ. Soak in his teaching. With applied learning, hard work, your talent and your basketball IQ, you could be a starting 1-2 next year. However, this year EJ's best advice you can follow, not an exact quote, is when the nerves take over and your offense suffers, you can always play hard defense.

If your defense helps to minimize your offensive mistakes, you will be an asset to this team and Coach will play you.

Steve Gantz 1 year, 6 months ago

We're recruiting a kid first named Lourawls? I hope he can ball as well as his namesake could sing!

oldalum 1 year, 6 months ago

I'm sure the NCAA would already rather have them stay in school. Unfortunately it's an NBA rule.

akgjenkintown 1 year, 6 months ago

Randle already took his official visit to UK. Another trip would be on his own dime. James Young committed to UK, so now all that is left are big men. They will have another #1 class of one and done players. When will the NBA and NCAA change the rules and let these players quit pretending they are going to college for the academic experience and a degree? There are no pentalties for a school if their player does not even finish their second semester. I guess the NCAA would rather have them in college for part of a year to keep interest high, instead of an NBA development league. It is time to adopt the baseball rule for high school players. Would make coaches less stressed knowing the student/athlete is committed to their program and school and not just using their time in school to showcase their talent for 6 months and then move one. The old hardship rules made sense (Norm Cook I believe was the first playe to use this exemption) and the NCAA needs to make changes. Get back to student athletes and not athletes who are part time students. The quality of the game may drop a bit but the excitement for the college game would still be high.

Chris Bruning 1 year, 6 months ago

The recruit I watched most was gordon. He seemed to have a great time. I hope they did cuz I honestly thought the best part of late night this year was diamond dixon and the womens "call me maybe" video skit. All that was before the recruits came out.

soapisurfriend 1 year, 6 months ago

So this is just speculation here, but I heard Julius Randle cancelled his Midnight Madness visit. This could be nothing at all because this is homecoming weekend at PCA and Randle has said he would have a hard time missing his last homecoming dance. Also, he has already visited Lexington and, from all I've seen, had a fine time. But this could also be something more if you consider what his mom has said about eliminating cheaters. I am in no way calling Cal a cheater, but I have heard the word on Nerlens Noel's recruitment may be worse than many thought. Again, pure speculation and I would not read too much in to it, but if anyone else knows anything I'd be interested to hear it. Canceling visits is a pretty common practice, anyways.

nuleafjhawk 1 year, 6 months ago

(Oh Lord. Should I say anything, or just keep quiet?)

OK - I would not have guessed this was a quote from Charlie Weis.

My guess would have been __ __

Any ideas?

sassykansan 1 year, 6 months ago

ESPN is doing a Lawrence premier of 30 on 30 tonight at the Lied Center. It's free but you have to register. I didn't know anything about it until Rob Riggle tweeted about it.

Brianna Zaleski 1 year, 6 months ago

For those who aren't aware, ESPN 30 for 30 is doing a special on Allen Fieldhouse and the recent acquisition of the Naismith's original rules. Tuesday at 7 or 8, not sure which time and too lazy to look this morning.

Sorry for the random post, Jaybate. Don't go postal on me!!!;)

Michael Pannacciulli 1 year, 6 months ago

there are so many new players...and in the video i couldn't tell who was who...don't recognize most of the numbers yet on the jerseys. who is who?? anyone have the breakdown?

midwest_muser 1 year, 6 months ago

I've never wanted to see a Jayhawk get a title as much as EJ....

Ferd Magellan 1 year, 6 months ago

Like I needed another reason to like Elijah.

kranny 1 year, 6 months ago

Rio, there's a higher purpose. Hang in there and you will understand the force that is Jayhawk basketball.

TexasHawk44 1 year, 6 months ago

Nice seeing EJ continuing to step into the leadership role.

Miguel Colón 1 year, 6 months ago

Anyone see how the recruits were reacting to the atmosphere? I really hope we get one or two of the three, doubt it though. HEM, where you at my man???