Friday, October 12, 2012

KUsports.com staff’s Week 7 college football picks

KUsports.com staff picks.

KUsports.com staff picks.

The following are the Journal-World staffers' picks for Week 7 of the college football season.

Week 7 games

Oklahoma State at Kansas

Texas at Oklahoma

West Virginia at Texas Tech

TCU at Baylor

Kansas State at Iowa State

South Carolina at LSU

Off-the-wall question: What is the most prized piece of sports memorabilia that you own?

High school beat reporter Benton Smith (21-9 overall, 4-2 in Week 6)

Oklahoma State 48, Kansas 31

Oklahoma 37, Texas 31

West Virginia 45, Texas Tech 37

Baylor 30, TCU 27

Kansas State 34, Iowa State 20

South Carolina 23, LSU 16

Question: I have a massive stash of NBA jerseys. Started collecting them in high school and the habit quickly spiraled out of control.

Associate sports editor Drew Hartsock (21-9 overall, 5-1 in Week 6)

Oklahoma State 45, Kansas 21

Oklahoma 45, Texas 42

West Virginia 55, Texas Tech 38

Baylor 21, TCU 20

Kansas State 45, Iowa State 17

LSU 28, South Carolina 27

Question: A Dean Smith autograph (I couldn't care less about the scrawl, but the story behind it, I think, is quite amusing).

KU football beat writer Matt Tait (21-9 overall, 5-1 in Week 6)

Oklahoma State 40, Kansas 24

Texas 31, Oklahoma 22

West Virginia 38, Texas Tech 31

Baylor 35, TCU 20

Kansas State 23, Iowa State 19

LSU 24, South Carolina 23

Question: My 21st birthday gift from my dad: A glass case that includes 2 Denver Broncos Super Bowl championship hats (one for each title) and a mini-replica of old Mile High Stadium sitting between them.

Sports copy editor Nick Gerik (20-10 overall, 4-2 in Week 6)

Oklahoma State 49, Kansas 21

Oklahoma 28, Texas 27

West Virginia 59, Texas Tech 49

Baylor 42, TCU 21

Iowa State 26, Kansas State 23

South Carolina 21, LSU 20

Question: I'm not the memorabilia type, but when I was a freshman in college, I squirreled away various newspapers from KU's Orange Bowl and National Championship runs.

Sports copy editor Chris Cottrell (20-10 overall, 4-2 in Week 6)

Oklahoma State 38, Kansas 14

Oklahoma 35,Texas 31

West Virginia 45, Texas Tech 28

Baylor 24, TCU 17

Kansas State 31, Iowa State 21

LSU 21, South Carolina 17

Question: 1955 Kansas City Athletics game book.

KUsports.com online editor Jesse Newell (19-11 overall, 3-3 in Week 6)

Oklahoma State 42, Kansas 24

Oklahoma 41, Texas 35

Texas Tech 63, West Virginia 56

Baylor 35, TCU 14

Iowa State 21, Kansas State 20

South Carolina 24, LSU 17

Question: A signed picture of George Brett I got in the mail after sending in some cereal box tops as a kid.

KU men's basketball beat writer Gary Bedore (19-11 overall, 5-1 in Week 6)

Oklahoma State 47, Kansas 17

Oklahoma 24, Texas 23

West Virginia 35, Texas Tech 24

Baylor 30, TCU 21

Kansas State 35, Iowa State 14

LSU 28, South Carolina 24

Question: Signed personal letter from former White Sox owner Bill Veeck.

Sports editor Tom Keegan (18-12 overall, 4-2 in Week 6)

Oklahoma State 55, Kansas 17

Texas 31, Oklahoma 24

West Virgiina 42, Texas Tech 35

Baylor 31, TCU 17

Kansas State 31, Iowa State 28

LSU 28, South Carolina 24

Question: The fake leather helmet that was used in Nick Krug's photo of Lawrence High quarterback Brad Strauss.

Comments

Marc Frey 2 years, 1 month ago

Slimfast can signed by Lasorda, and Ichiro Suzuk signed SI cover (his first one in 1999).
Gilligan's Island cookbook sign by Dawn Wells.

KGphoto 2 years, 1 month ago

I'm not a big trading card guru, but I have what I believe is a complete set (at least what was available) of Topps 1980 Royals baseball cards. I didn't buy it as a set, but I bought a lot of gum and did a lot of trading over that summer. Some of them I got signed over the years. George Brett (All Star), Dan Quisenberry (Future Stars), Willie Wilson, U.L. Washington, Frank White (All Star) and Hal MCrae all signed at various little league events. My baseball glove is also signed by all those guys. I was 9 years old. Life was good. I will NEVER sell those cards, OR that glove.

Eric Sorrentino 2 years, 1 month ago

Agree with most predictions here. Jesse, interesting pick with Texas Tech over West Va. Over/under on that game should be at least 100!

I got Buck Showalter to sign my spring training program in 2006 in Arizona when he managed the Rangers. Of course, Buck had to knock his old squad out of the (one-game) playoffs this year. Definitely rooting for them to take down the Evil Empire tonight, though. Go O's.

Jesse Newell 2 years, 1 month ago

See, sometimes a blind squirrel finds the acorn.

jhawk613 2 years, 1 month ago

I have a signed Kevin Seitzer card that I got from him while he was loading his moving van after being traded.

It's gotta be worth at least $2.30

Marc Frey 2 years, 1 month ago

Autographs on trading cards usually devaluate the card. I always had baseball players sign other items. Baseballs are the best.

Ron Prichard 2 years, 1 month ago

After my dad died, I found a book he had in a box of coaching stuff. It was a book written by Phog Allen. It was signed and dated by Coach Allen to my dad when he was a kid. The inscription is to my dad, so the value probably isn't very high, but it's pretty cool, to say the least.

My wife also got me a 360 degree print of the inside of Allen Fieldhouse and it is signed by all the players from last year's team, including Coach Self. I'm still looking for the perfect frame. Absolutely Awesome!

akgjenkintown 2 years, 1 month ago

A KU Football Media guide signed by Turner Gill that I received after donating at the Rock Chalk Ball in 2011.

justinryman 2 years, 1 month ago

I have a towel from Augusta National Golf Course. It is was in the health tent and I knew a paramedic that was working in there and she put it at the bottom of her med bag. The security checked it along with Tiger Woods golf bag and they didn't see it. So she mailed it to me.

Two golfers or caddies got caught trying to take them and they get wrote up. Phil actually took a pin flag off after winning and they wanted it back, but he didn't give in. Or so the story goes that she told me.

But I have that towel, pretty cool.

Kent Wells 2 years, 1 month ago

So you have Tigers DNA? Who doesn't. Ha ha

Justin LoBurgio 2 years, 1 month ago

A piece of the old Allen Fieldhouse Floor (given to me by my grandfather before they were publicly available, he was connected) and a signed ball from the 1986 KU Final Four team.

jayhawkintexas 2 years, 1 month ago

Either my Tom Landry autographed football (I watched him sign it), my Phog Allen autographed book or my KC Athletics bobble head doll.

741hawk 2 years, 1 month ago

Ernie Davis jersey from 1961 Syracuse vs Ku

nuleafjhawk 2 years, 1 month ago

I took two of my nephews to a KU basketball game a few years ago when RW was still our coach. The boys wanted to get autographs after the game. I'm not much of an autograph hound - cause I just don't care - but after standing in line and watching Ol Roy handle crying kids and nagging mothers, I was so impressed with the man that I actually had him autograph my program from that night's game.

Burned it when he left.

Warren 2 years, 1 month ago

360 photograph of the last Big 8 game in Allen Fieldhouse vs Oklahoma State in 1996 where I can see myself in the crowd. Mario Chalmers autographed ticket from the 2008 National Championship game, and Mario Chalmers autographed Sports Illustrated "Mario's Miricle" issue.

texashawk10 2 years, 1 month ago

My most prized piece of sports memorabilia is my 1994 NBA Finals game 7 program signed by Hakeem Olajuwon and coach Rudy T. I was fortunate enough to go to that game when I was 8 years old and to date that is still the greatest sporting event I have ever been to. There is no greater feeling as a sports fan than being there when your team wins a championship, especially when it's a game 7. I'm pretty sure the only thing that could top that moment is to be there in person the next time KU wins a national title. My runner up is a Mario Chalmers signed picture of the Miracle and the only reason that's not #1 is because I wasn't at that game to experience it first hand like I was for the Rockets first championship.

dstnku34 2 years, 1 month ago

When I was in grade school, I had a cousin who pitched for the WSU Shockers. In 1989, he had everyone on the team sign a baseball and he gave it to me! They went on to become National Champions that year! My cousin only knows of 2 balls signed by all team members. I have one and George HW Bush has the other.

Kent Wells 2 years, 1 month ago

OSU 35 - KU 34

KU Wilt Chamberlain jersey (13) / signed at his retirement ceremony.

nuleafjhawk 2 years, 1 month ago

kuwells,

The value of autographs are based upon their rarity, and unfortunately, there are tons of Wilt-signed memorabilia out there.

I know of at least 20,000 pair of autographed panties.

Of course you know that I'm kidding you ( I think!) - that is AWESOME that you have an autographed Wilt Jersey and I am 100% crazy jealous.

JakeBarnes 2 years, 1 month ago

BTW, how intimately do you know those panties??

Kent Wells 2 years, 1 month ago

You know, nuleaf, I just don't think I would ever sell it for any price. It is amazing how long he stayed after the game to sign autographs. And he didn't leave until all were gone. It was an amazing day. And of course I know you are joking. Are you ever serious? Ha!

Chris1955 2 years, 1 month ago

Here's an oddity. I rarely go to ML baseball games; however, I have seen a no hitter in person. It was Jack Morris and the Detroit Tigers blanking the CWS in 1984 at old Comisky Park.

I also attend the infamous Chiefs/Dolphins 1971 Christmas Day OT playoff game. I've never seen a quieter crowds exiting a stadium than on that day. It was the last Chiefs game at old Municipal Stadium.

Lastly, I own a football signed by many members of the 1969 World Champion KC Chiefs. It has a bunch of autographs with almost all of the names we know from that era, plus Hank Stram's autograph. I wonder what its worth?

2 years, 1 month ago

Complete collection of KU Men's Basketball trading cards of the 1987-88 team. I have slept a lot since then, but I seem to recall the cheerleaders were handing out the cards in the concourses of Allen Fieldhouse prior to the Duke (?) game that season, and to get all the players, you had to find which cheerleader was handing out which player's card. Pretty cool that they went on to win the National Championship :^)

Rivethead 2 years, 1 month ago

My most prized sports possession is my 2007 Anaheim Ducks Stanley Cup Championship ring given to me by my brother (he ended up getting two rings - long story).

My most valueable sports possession is my autographed picture of Ervin "Magic" Johnson when he was a freshman at MSU. He had several copies of Sports Illustrated lying around with his very first picture in that magazine. He cut one out and autographed it and gave it to me.

After that, it's probably my autographed picture of Nicklas Lidstrom (Redwings defensemen) or Scotty Neidermier (Ducks defensemen) or autographed puck by Brett Hull (Stars winger) or autographed stick of Sergi Federov (Redwings winger).

Jack Jones 2 years, 1 month ago

Two very special items -

Autograph of Forrest C. "Phog" Allen - guest speaker at 1954 Sports Banquet - Russell High School . Autograph of Ted Williams (Boston Red Sox) - circa 1946

milehighhawk 2 years, 1 month ago

An "I Kreamed Keegan" t-shirt from being the closest to the correct score from a game a couple years ago. :)