Friday, October 12, 2012

KU welcomes trio of senior prep recruits for Late Night

Three of the top uncommitted high school senior basketball prospects in the country will attend tonight’s Late Night in the Phog in Allen Fieldhouse.

They are: No. 5-rated (by Rivals.com) Aaron Gordon, 6-8 forward, Archbishop Mitty High, San Jose, Calif.; No. 23 Wayne Selden, 6-5 combo guard, Tilton (N.H.) High and unranked Joel Embiid, 7-foot center, Rock School, Gainesville, Fla. They’ll be sitting behind KU’s bench with future Jayhawk Conner Frankamp, a 6-0 guard from Wichita North, who has orally committed to KU. He’s the No. 28-ranked player in the class of 2013.

Here’s a closer look at KU’s guests:

Aaron Gordon, 6-8, 205: Gordon has a list of KU, Arizona, Oregon, Washington, Kentucky and Cal. He’s the brother of former UCLA player Drew Gordon, who transferred to New Mexico.

“They got a word to describe Aaron Gordon where I come from.......PRO,” Rivals.com’s Eric Bossi tweeted after watching Gordon play last spring.

“There’s not much dispute about Gordon, a 6-foot-8 senior to be at San Jose (Calif.) Bishop Mitty, having established himself as the best player on the West Coast,” Bossi added in an article for Rivals.

Wayne Selden, 6-5, 225: Selden, who has a list of KU, Florida, Missouri, UCLA, Syracuse and Ohio State, was originally a member of the Class of 2014 who decided in June to reclassify to the Class of ‘13.

“I’m physically ready and my grades are good,” Selden told cbssports.com. “I’m physically ready for the college level.”

No doubt about that. Eric Bossi of Rivals.com has tapped Selden one of the 10 most physical players in the entire class. In all, just Julius Randle, Andrew Harrison, Aaron Harrison and Zena Edosomwan were slotted in front of Selden.

“Checking in at nearly 230 pounds, Selden is built more like your typical tight end than a high school shooting guard,” Bossi said. “An explosive athlete, Selden’s ability to strong arm opponents is a big advantage.”

Joel Embiid, 7-foot, 220: Embiid, who is originally from Cameroon, has a list of KU, Florida, Louisville, UCLA, Marquette, Texas, DePaul, Wake Forest and Virginia. The 17-year-old Embiid started playing basketball just a year ago.

“He has to get a little more flexible and add strength, but he is a high-level rebounder, alters shots, has good hands and does a good job of establishing and holding position,” said Eric Bossi of Rivals.com. “The form on his jump shot is good, and he’s already developed a strong spin move that he’s comfortable using to go right or left.”

Embiid said he is looking for “academics, a good coach and good people around who can help me get better. I’d like a coach that knows my game and how to get me better.”

Comments

TexasHawk44 1 year, 6 months ago

Winner, winner! Chicken dinner!

TexasHawk44 1 year, 6 months ago

You are so clever, Jaybate. How could this site go on without you?

I just cannot wait for your rambling, incoherent factless limerick of gibberish. Please enlighten all of us with your mystical wisdom. What a terrible joke you are.

Benjamin Piehler 1 year, 6 months ago

Why am I getting advertisements for "Missouri fanatics".com here??

texashawk10 1 year, 6 months ago

Wayne Selden is definitely the most important get for KU left at this point. He can come in and play the primarily off ball guard spot for Self from day 1 if BenMac is as good as advertised and is good enough to pro after this year. If BenMac does hang around longer, then KU's loaded at the 2/3 spot for 2013. This is the one spot on the floor where lower ranked players have come in and had very early success. Taylor was the starter in this spot from day 1 and Tyrel Reed and Brady Morningstar both succeeded in this role as sophomores.

As for which big I like better, Aaron Gordon is clearly the player ready to contribute immediately and has OAD potential which would mean KU has a scholarship for 2014 since KU doesn't officially have one at this time. I don't doubt that Bill Self wouldn't have a problem recruiting over a couple of players if it meant signing a couple of elite 2014 players, but he's also not going to sign just anybody for 2014 though.

Joel Embiid on the other hand is someone that will be around all 4 years and has the makings of becoming an elite defensive player by the time he leaves KU. Embiid isn't likely to contribute much his first year at KU, but I do believe he would be ready to his sophomore year. One huge positive is that for someone as inexperienced as Embiid, he doesn't get bullied out of position and if Hudy gets her hands on him, then Embiid will be a monster on defense.

As much as KU will need immediate help in the front court in 2013, I think Joel Embiid is the player I would rather have because of the long term upside he has.

TexasHawk44 1 year, 6 months ago

TexasHawk44 1 year, 6 months ago

Gordon is reported strongly leaning for Washington but you hever know. Selden does look terrific. And I love the upside of a 7-footer with little experience playing basketball. With our conditioning program and Self's big man development, that could be special in a couple of years. I like Embiid. Hope we sign him and Selden

soapisurfriend 1 year, 6 months ago

If you're on twitter go show Selden, Embiid, Gordon and others some love. Embiid and Selden have arrived at KCI and both sound excited to be here. In addition, Frank Mason has said difinitively that he will win a national championship while he is here.

Tony Bandle 1 year, 6 months ago

Want all three, great if two, settle for one...as long as its Selden!!

jaybate 1 year, 6 months ago

FarSide,

No, because the pro journos and recruiting gurus are not reporting on this layer of the game. Each recruit's bio should provide this info just like inexact height and weight and skill data are provided. But the info is apparently too sensitive, for reasons I still do not understand, unless it might lead to inappropriate compensation and in turn to issues of whether private not for profit athletic departments are really not for profit and so really merit their tax exempt status.

Rock Chalk!

Kevin Huffman 1 year, 6 months ago

I think for Embiid I would suspect that it's probably between us and Florida. UF getting a good recent reputation w/ big men with the NBA success of Noah & Horford.

Danny Hernandez 1 year, 6 months ago

I'm hearing Gordon is down to Kansas, Arizona and Washington; Kentucky is out

Robert Brock 1 year, 6 months ago

Self likes to run offense through the low block. We could really use Gordon or Randle.

jayhawkinATL 1 year, 6 months ago

Don't Gordon and Young (who committed to UK yesterday) play the same position???

Jason Keller 1 year, 6 months ago

We need Gordon but if we could have just one, I would want Seldon. He's the type of guy who will slam one home in Bramlage Coliseum and then look at the KSU defenders like the pieces of trash they are. His game is so mean and full of intensity. He wants to embarrass you and I like that.

jaybate 1 year, 6 months ago

This is as simple as:

a) do they wear Adidas;

b) are they hooked up to KU's dominant agent; and

c) are their summer game teams tied to Adidas?

If yes to all, then it depends on how much each likes Self, team, and probable PT.

If no to all, they're lookie loos on a party circuit establishing a backup in case their first choice goes Memphis Syndrome, or Fukushima Dai Ichi UTenn.

If some yes, some no, then it depends on how much PT Self will offer.

NEXT.

Phil Leister 1 year, 6 months ago

I have a feeling Gordon will commit to Kentucky. I just want Selden. That is all.

jayhawker97 1 year, 6 months ago

what are our chances of Gordon's commitment to join the band? his addition will get us to another trip to F4, for sure.

TexasHawk44 1 year, 6 months ago

Hoping Selden and Embiid decide to commit. RCJH!