Friday, October 12, 2012

KU welcomes trio of senior prep recruits for Late Night

Three of the top uncommitted high school senior basketball prospects in the country will attend tonight’s Late Night in the Phog in Allen Fieldhouse.

They are: No. 5-rated (by Rivals.com) Aaron Gordon, 6-8 forward, Archbishop Mitty High, San Jose, Calif.; No. 23 Wayne Selden, 6-5 combo guard, Tilton (N.H.) High and unranked Joel Embiid, 7-foot center, Rock School, Gainesville, Fla. They’ll be sitting behind KU’s bench with future Jayhawk Conner Frankamp, a 6-0 guard from Wichita North, who has orally committed to KU. He’s the No. 28-ranked player in the class of 2013.

Here’s a closer look at KU’s guests:

Aaron Gordon, 6-8, 205: Gordon has a list of KU, Arizona, Oregon, Washington, Kentucky and Cal. He’s the brother of former UCLA player Drew Gordon, who transferred to New Mexico.

“They got a word to describe Aaron Gordon where I come from.......PRO,” Rivals.com’s Eric Bossi tweeted after watching Gordon play last spring.

“There’s not much dispute about Gordon, a 6-foot-8 senior to be at San Jose (Calif.) Bishop Mitty, having established himself as the best player on the West Coast,” Bossi added in an article for Rivals.

Wayne Selden, 6-5, 225: Selden, who has a list of KU, Florida, Missouri, UCLA, Syracuse and Ohio State, was originally a member of the Class of 2014 who decided in June to reclassify to the Class of ‘13.

“I’m physically ready and my grades are good,” Selden told cbssports.com. “I’m physically ready for the college level.”

No doubt about that. Eric Bossi of Rivals.com has tapped Selden one of the 10 most physical players in the entire class. In all, just Julius Randle, Andrew Harrison, Aaron Harrison and Zena Edosomwan were slotted in front of Selden.

“Checking in at nearly 230 pounds, Selden is built more like your typical tight end than a high school shooting guard,” Bossi said. “An explosive athlete, Selden’s ability to strong arm opponents is a big advantage.”

Joel Embiid, 7-foot, 220: Embiid, who is originally from Cameroon, has a list of KU, Florida, Louisville, UCLA, Marquette, Texas, DePaul, Wake Forest and Virginia. The 17-year-old Embiid started playing basketball just a year ago.

“He has to get a little more flexible and add strength, but he is a high-level rebounder, alters shots, has good hands and does a good job of establishing and holding position,” said Eric Bossi of Rivals.com. “The form on his jump shot is good, and he’s already developed a strong spin move that he’s comfortable using to go right or left.”

Embiid said he is looking for “academics, a good coach and good people around who can help me get better. I’d like a coach that knows my game and how to get me better.”

Comments

TexasHawk44 1 year, 9 months ago

Hoping Selden and Embiid decide to commit. RCJH!

jayhawker97 1 year, 9 months ago

what are our chances of Gordon's commitment to join the band? his addition will get us to another trip to F4, for sure.

Phil Leister 1 year, 9 months ago

I have a feeling Gordon will commit to Kentucky. I just want Selden. That is all.

This is as simple as:

a) do they wear Adidas;

b) are they hooked up to KU's dominant agent; and

c) are their summer game teams tied to Adidas?

If yes to all, then it depends on how much each likes Self, team, and probable PT.

If no to all, they're lookie loos on a party circuit establishing a backup in case their first choice goes Memphis Syndrome, or Fukushima Dai Ichi UTenn.

If some yes, some no, then it depends on how much PT Self will offer.

NEXT.

FarSideHawk 1 year, 9 months ago

Jaybate, do you have answers to the three questions for each of these guys coming in tonight?

jhawkrulz 1 year, 9 months ago

Is it no to all or no to any?

Jason Keller 1 year, 9 months ago

We need Gordon but if we could have just one, I would want Seldon. He's the type of guy who will slam one home in Bramlage Coliseum and then look at the KSU defenders like the pieces of trash they are. His game is so mean and full of intensity. He wants to embarrass you and I like that.

jayhawkinATL 1 year, 9 months ago

Don't Gordon and Young (who committed to UK yesterday) play the same position???

Kevin Huffman 1 year, 9 months ago

NO! Gordon is more of a SF/PF (kind of a mini-B.Griffin from what I've read about him) and Young's a bit of a stretch as a SF...more of a SG....gets slotted at SF because of the SG Harrison who wouldn't fit as a SF by any means.

Robert Brock 1 year, 9 months ago

Self likes to run offense through the low block. We could really use Gordon or Randle.

Danny Hernandez 1 year, 9 months ago

I'm hearing Gordon is down to Kansas, Arizona and Washington; Kentucky is out

Kevin Huffman 1 year, 9 months ago

Yeah, I had a hard time seeing Gordan at UK to be honest. But I'd be surprised if he comes to us.....my thoughts all along was that it would be down to which ever PAC-12 school impressed him the msot among 'Zona, Cal, Stanford or UW. Given out recent losing out on a big guy to 'Zona (well 2x if you count Chol) I suspect that's where he ends up.

Kevin Huffman 1 year, 9 months ago

I think for Embiid I would suspect that it's probably between us and Florida. UF getting a good recent reputation w/ big men with the NBA success of Noah & Horford.

FarSide,

No, because the pro journos and recruiting gurus are not reporting on this layer of the game. Each recruit's bio should provide this info just like inexact height and weight and skill data are provided. But the info is apparently too sensitive, for reasons I still do not understand, unless it might lead to inappropriate compensation and in turn to issues of whether private not for profit athletic departments are really not for profit and so really merit their tax exempt status.

Rock Chalk!

Tony Bandle 1 year, 9 months ago

Want all three, great if two, settle for one...as long as its Selden!!

Copy and paste.

But I think we get Embiid.

RE: Selden--I'm more cranked about Selden than any point guard since Magic Johnson. He's not nearly as good as Magic, because Magic had 5 inches on him, but his combination of muscle and length coming with passing and good shooting could make him definitive for this era. I don't see it in his video feeds, but my gosh he could play the back in game with the side cleared out like no body's business.

jaybate 1 year, 9 months ago

Forgot to say about Embiid that he seems a KU lean to me, in part because of the Self-style "get better" language in his quote. He is the kind of raw talent John Thompson 1.0 used to be able to land and make better. But KU's rep with developing bigs has to be at its zenith, even among those with strong shoe affiliations. What goes against KU would seem to be that KU has not "developed" a single African player into a draft choice. So: casting his lot with Self would require a pioneer mentality in the young man. UCLA, Georgetown, and even Arizona seem to have had better luck signing players from Africa and developing them. But I suspect a guy like Kaun could tip the balance for KU, if Embiid learns about him at all, and perhaps talks to him. Having Danny around might have significantly improved our chances of signing Embiid, but, still, when you look around at his alternatives, KU would probably seem to him to have the best big man development program around the last 5-6 years.

But in the final analysis: it will be shoes, agency contacts, and his academy's leanings in those directions, more than Self and KU, that will drive the deal IMHO.

Ron Prichard 1 year, 9 months ago

jaybate, I know I had some harsh comments for you on another article (I believe deservedly so) but these are the posts where you are at your best. Nice, concise analysis on Selden. This is the stuff I like to read.

rapichard,

Thanks for your kindly support and for your intense opposition. I learn from both. And I really don't mind intense opposition, though I don't think its necessary very often, or even the occassional forearm smash of intellectual combat. I continually tell board rats I come to the logonasium for a work out. In the work out, I try to accomplish two things: a) please and teach; and b) learn. My definition of pleasing is to communicate in a fresh way. My definition of teaching is either communicating reliable knowledge that the group may not have, or to think analytically and often hypothetically about issues from an angle that has not yet been explored quite the way I think fits the facts best. Learning is finding out what others know that I do not. And in utmost honesty, I much prefer b. Gaining knowledge is the best high of all to me, and as I age, increasingly the only high to me.

I am fortunately a pretty quick study about telling the difference between idiots and the knowledgeable.

I know you know what you're talking about, even if we disagree. Therefore, you can tear me a new one every once in awhile, and I am going to take it, if I can see some substance, and forgive it, if I can't see the substance.

But its true I don't suffer fools gladly.

The knowledgeable I try to be playful with, yet show respect.

If I find my chemistry with a knowledgeable alias is bad, then I labor for awhile for the right approach to improve it and I usually do find a way, or that alias does the same.

Knowledgeable aliases, no matter how much they may lock horns at times, due to subtexts of cultural baggage, rehtorical styles, etc., are all in the same boat. It is better to lock horns with a knowledgeable alias, even disagreeably, than to exchange with aliases that really know nothing.

Discourse with a know-nothing is worse that painful. It is tedious. :-)

I am a patient, tolerant board rat by nature. I never go on the offensive first. I play my riffs. I comment on other riffs of knowledgeable board rats, and if unattacked, I never get my back up about what others write, no matter how much I disagree with it. In fact, if unattacked, I confess there are more than a few posts I skip, though I suspect that a lot of our most humble, brief and gracious posters here might be surprised to learn that I get a great deal of satisfaction and knowledge from many of their posts and not just from the most active and rhetorically skilled posters.

I read the threads here like a prospector with a pan. I am always looking for gold nuggets and always finding them amidst the grains of sand.

Some aliases work at it a lot and so are more reliably entertaining, even enviably skillful, but actual knowledge and insight--the nuggets I speak of--come from all kinds of posters, excluding the outright know nothings, of course.

Part 2

I don't really believe any board rat, except a few trolls and moonlighting destabilizers, is ultimately beyond connecting with, though some take a good bit of conflict, and/or bum fuzzlement to have such break throughs with.

I've been doing this a good long time now and I have a rather long list of aliases that felt some inexplicable (to me anyway) need to lock horns with me initially only to come to be among those I respect the most. I am grateful that providence and patience allowed me to discover their virtues and perhaps help them along in their thinking in some small ways. I will eternally regret my early conflicts with HEM, but as I continually point out, we found a structure of discourse that let us co-exist long enough, at least, for me to discover his virtues, and happily praise him and what he writes and disagree less and less and when in disagreement to let it stand, as that and nothing more.

And yes, I am always trying to clear out the side for certain board rats. I have the kind of eclectic mind that enables me to write about practically any topic, though not necessarily come up with the most cogent take. So: when I find a poster like HEM, or ralster, or

But I want to point out to board rats that there is no need to conflict with me to earn my affection or respect (nor for that matter is my respect worth earning, as I am just another board rat, but I will say my affection ought to be worth something) But I have been payed some respect over the years and I want to take a moment and express my sincere appreciation to those that gave it, even if they have come to see the wisdom of their ways and withdrawn it subsequently. :-)

I did not set out to get any. I set out to get a work out. I set out to love my Jayhawks. I set out to understand certain parts of my life by exploring them through the legacy of Kansas Basketball. I have learned more, come to understand more, and to appreciate more about The Legacy and myself than I ever expected. But I digress, raprichard.

Part 3

What I mean to say here is that I prize my relationships with OakvilleJHawk and ralster and Yates and REHawk, and BlownJayhawk, and BigManU, and TexasHawk10, and KennethST, and GlobalJayhawk, and AlohaHawk, and Asad and Brock, and drgnslayer, 100 when he was still with us, and really many more too numerous for me to mention without going even longer, each of whom disagree with me intensely on a number of issues, yet who are so civilized, dignified, kind, knowledgeable, and wise, as to cut me some slack, while probably shaking their heads in disgust and frustration at my willingness to get in the gutter with the know nothings--I care about those that started harmoniously, as much as those that began in conflict.

Because I love the legacy and have grown to love this community, I will take my positive relationships with fellow board rats however they come to me, via initial conflict, or via immediate harmony. But immediate harmony is so much faster and easier and pleasant.

Again, I am genuinely sorry I couldn't have connected immediately with someone like HEM, but, well, I am about the furtherest from perfection a board rat can be, so I can't get it right much of the time.

I believe only a few board rats are beyond reclamation.

And only a few board rats commit errors that cannot and should not be forgiven.

raprichard, you can lay into me anytime you please (with one of your reasoned, even if a bit aggressive ripostes) and I will really not hold a grudge. I'm not that kind. I want to sometimes. But my mind so loves sweet reason that I can endlessly be swayed out of my pettiness.

I had about given up on HawkKlaw, as I am sure he had almost had with me also, when out of the blue, he found a common ground, a point of reasoned agreement, and offered it to me as two reasoning beings. It took not only some courage, but also considerable generosity of spirit on his part to do this, after the amount of rancor we had engaged in. It took some of both of the same on my part to counter with an authentic answer that I knew he would only partially agree with. I respected him instantly for doing what he did. This turnabout by us both is IMHO attributable to The Legacy, the living myth, as I call it. It is both a framework for sharing what we love and a passageway for working out differences.

I rarely give up completely on a board rat.

Part 4

I grew up in conflict. I understand that many others have as well. I don't know much about addictions to booze and drugs. But I know about addictions to conflict. I am a recovering conflictaholic. Sometimes I even fall off the wagon. But mostly I am prone to believe conflicting parties can learn to grow beyond conflict. I am not afraid of it. I grew up with it. I know where it springs from. Some times it arises from pain. Some times from it being the only way one learned to interact. Sometimes it is a displacement. Sometimes it involves being just plain mean. And sometimes it involves someone being incentivized to conflict. I don't care. I am open to all board rats stuck in conflict mode. I can work through it with a few. And I figure when I do it, then that person I did it with can do it with someone else. And there's a ripple effect.

I sparred with HawkKLaw for a long time. Now I sense we are beyond that. Maybe not. But I suspect so. Anyway, I am if he is, and if he's not, well, we can always put the gloves back on. But I suspect he is going to keep them off and I suspect down the road he is going to help someone else take them off.

HEM has already helped a number of persons get out of conflict mode. I cannot be positive that he realizes he has done this, but I believe he has.

We are a small enough community that when two help four and four help eight, and eight help sixteen, and sixteen help 32 and so on, it isn't long before the conflict reduces enough that there can be a massive increase in learning by exchange.

I can learn from you raprichard, both from your tearing me a new one, and from your coming back to the center of discourse.

One helps one. Two helps four. Four helps Eight. Eight helps 16. And so on.

Rock Chalk!

jaybate 1 year, 9 months ago

P.S.: And yes, rap, I realize this is the kind of long take that you probably don't like. But...

Sing to Golden Rainbow's hit tune by Steve and Eddie...

I gotta be me... I gotta be me...

Dan Harris 1 year, 9 months ago

ouch! I sprained a finger trying to scroll past so I ended up reading maybe your all time longest ramble! Now I'm cross eyed fallen and can't get up! LOL!

Seldon is the beast that I want. He reminds me of a S.Collins only a half a foot taller.

jaybate 1 year, 9 months ago

You can play through cross eyed can't you?

C'mon!!!!!

And if you think that's a long post, then you either don't read my stuff, or need to see a doc about memory loss.

But we agree on Selden being a great prospect.

But what about Steve and Edie?

You no likey?

Jack Wilson 1 year, 9 months ago

I have to ask .. why do you think Selden would be a point guard? It seems like he's the classic 2, melding into a combo type guy as he progresses.

I had seen this article on Selden from late 2011 where he noted ballhandling was one item he needed to work on. But also, I have not seen anything that notes him as excellent or good ballhandler.

Good question, HEM.

Self has tended to put supermen, like BRush, Xavier, and Josh Selby at the wing point (i.e., the 3d), so you've got historical tendency on your side. And if the game were not continually changing, I would side with you that Selden would be told he would play some point and then be stuck at the 3, just as Perry Ellis was told he would play some 3 and got stuck at the 4.

But Selden's video feeds impressed me with his striking combination of height, weight, ball handling and athleticism. I would say he has worked on his ball handling. This guy has PG written all over him to me in the same way it was written all over Magic Johnson. Would most coaches have allowed Magic to play the PG the way Jud Heathcote and assistant Tom Izzo did? Probably very few. Maybe not even Self had he coached in those days.

But there are guys that come along every once in a while that make people see a position differently.

And I think Self has gotten a taste of what playing with big guards can do and he likes that 30+ win taste.

Next, I think a profile is developing for PGs in the XTReme Era.

Every PG has to be exceptional strong in his upper body, not just his in his legs, as in prior years, regardless of height.

And carrying muscled weight is increasingly advantageous as body contact continues to increase both inside and outside for a PG.

Acceleration is vital, as it always has been, but now the PG has to be exceptionally strong in order to make use of the acceleration.

You get acceleration from leg strength and stride length.

Short guys more frequently have enough leg strength for acceleration, apparently because their legs are shorter, and because heavy thigh muscling appears to occur on short legs as often as on long legs. Given the same amount of muscle mass, a powerfully muscled thigh and calve can drive a short stroke leg through a short stroke faster than through a long stroke leg, again, other things equal. Hence, the short PG has long had a role in the tall man's game.

But in the three point era, when a PG has to start his move well beyond the trey stripe to keep the defense stetched and to put maximum stress on a defender (i.e., make him pay for sagging off with three points rather than two), the short powerful PG suffers a bit against a long PG, because there is a lot of turn and burn time to recover with long strides against the short guard's short strides. And if you find a long PG with powerfully muscled legs and some upper body strength, well, then its no contest.

jaybate 1 year, 9 months ago

Tyshawn and EJ proved this again and again last season, when ever they were taking their turns at running the point, or guarding the other teams point. KU just held enormous MUA at those two positions, even with both our guys playing through bad knees!!!!

So: defensively, a defensive-fetishist like Self really likes that length outside, if it has sufficient leg strength, and sufficient upper body strength. And if he has a short PG on the bench for backup against the occassional darting runt with a big trey gun that can give long guards some problems.

People wonder why Tyshawn did not really come into his own until last season. A big part of it was mental development. But an often overlooked driver was that Tyshawn really did not acquire mature upper body strength and mass to go with his always cut and buff appearance until his last season. By that last season, lightening quick TT finally had enough upper body strength to get in there and muscle with guards outside and muscle with the bigs inside. With that strength, the advantage of his blinding speed made him effectively unstoppable.

EJ was much the same story. EJ he always had the length, speed and springs to run the point, but until last season he really had not acquired the upper body strength and mass to handle the contact. And the pictures this season suggest that EJ has acquired even more upper body strength and mass for this season. If he is healthy, I think he is going to hold even greater MUA than Tyshawn held last year.

And holding MUA at the point and MUA at the 4, and/or 3, are the key ingredients to Self's approach to the game.

I think Selden would hold sharply more MUA at the PG than either Tyshawn, a converted high school 2, or EJ, a high school PG, retrofitted to a 2 for a season. And I think he would hold an order of magnitude great MUA at the 1 than at either the 2, or the 3.

The kind of MUA Selden would hold at the point would be scary. It would make a down the middle game with a good 4, or 5, unstoppable.

Selden is Sherron with 5 more inches; that's how I think Self probably sees him; that is for sure how I see Selden. Selden is an impact waiting to happen every moment.

Jeff Schartz 1 year, 9 months ago

Word has it that Tyshawn had some clout coming in. Didn't he have some kind of crazy summer-league, mega point explosion in a game, right before his KU enrollement?

jaybate 1 year, 9 months ago

BRush did not have the ball handling skills to play the point, and Chalmers could not play the 3, so Rush went to the 3.

Xavier lacked the ball handling skills and acceleration to play the point, and he had Sherron, and so Xavier went to the 3 to stretch defenses.

But Selden would arrive when Self lacked a great point guard, and a great 3, and had Andrew White and Frankamp at the 2.

Any coach wants that point guard iced with an impact player. Any good shooting 2 with some height can shift over to the 3. White can play the 3.

I see Self tacking a chance on Selden at the PG, because he hasn't landed a great PG and because he can play Frankamp at the 2 and White at the 3 and stretch defenses out to infinity.

But the thing with Self is it all depends on what the recruiting cat drags in. Self will play anyone out of his most dominant position, if Self feels that to reach, shall we say, the highest mean MUA for all 5 positions, he has to play someone out of position.

Self holds fast to a chain being no stronger than its weakest link.

Self really does try to get the best 5 jocks on the floor at the same time given his need for scoring inside and out, and defense inside and out, and protection inside and out.

I also think Self knows he needs Selden in a good way. Self needs a crown jewel type of player. He hasn't had one yet. Xavier might have been that player, but his heart wasn't in the college game. Selby might have been that player, had he decided to come back a second season after the injury.

The deciding factor will be what the cat drags in. If the cat drags in an MUA PG, then Selden goes to the 3 and Self stays in his historical comfort zone. But if the cat drags in nothing more than Frank Mason, to go with Nadiir Tharpe, that committee just does not seem strong enough to warrant putting a crown jewel at wing point, even though Selden might shove off after only a season.

And, yes, I know Self hates turning PG over to any player that won't be around for awhile.

But exceptions not only prove the rule, the rule implies exceptions.

And yes I guessed wrong on Self playing Perry Ellis at 3. I thought Withey could become a bigger offensive threat than Self has telegraphed that he can be. So Perry has to be a 4, especially with Zach with a bum wing.

Odds are with Selden at the 3.

But sometimes I bet against the odds, when what seems a very great player comes along.

So sue me. :-)

Jack Wilson 1 year, 9 months ago

I'm convinced. Selden would be sweet.

soapisurfriend 1 year, 9 months ago

If you're on twitter go show Selden, Embiid, Gordon and others some love. Embiid and Selden have arrived at KCI and both sound excited to be here. In addition, Frank Mason has said difinitively that he will win a national championship while he is here.

soapisurfriend 1 year, 9 months ago

I neither love nor loathe Mason's game or the pickup at all. But I am most certain he will make it a year. He is a proven winner and that is irrefutable. This being said, Emmanuel Mudiay or Ty Jones are at the top of my wish list in 2014.

texashawk10 1 year, 9 months ago

History says there's a better chance of Mason transferring after his first year than there is of him making it to senior night. 5 of 8 three star players that have come to KU under Self that we know the end result of their KU career have ended with them transferring.

TexasHawk44 1 year, 9 months ago

Gordon is reported strongly leaning for Washington but you hever know. Selden does look terrific. And I love the upside of a 7-footer with little experience playing basketball. With our conditioning program and Self's big man development, that could be special in a couple of years. I like Embiid. Hope we sign him and Selden

soapisurfriend 1 year, 9 months ago

Me too. Have you seen the kid's spin move? I love Embiid and I think his game is better than Shepherd's RIGHT NOW. I think he will be the best 5 in this class and playing with guys like Chris Walker, Brannen Greene, and Kasey Hill only make you better.

jaybate 1 year, 9 months ago

"Gordon is reported strongly leaning for Washington but you hever know. (UNSUBSTANTIATED)Selden does look terrific (OBVIOUS MASTERY). And I love the upside of a 7-footer with little experience playing basketball (OBVIOUS MASTERY). With our conditioning program and Self's big man development, that could be special in a couple of years (OBVIOUS MASTERY). I like Embiid (SEND HIM A VALENTINE. OBVIOUS MASTERY). Hope we sign him and Selden. (NO KIDDING. OBVIOUS MASTERY) Upvote0 (IRRELEVANT)

NEXT.

Dan Harris 1 year, 9 months ago

JB- you say in your above remarks that you never fire the first shot but you definitely fired the first salvo on this thread and it seems that your biting first more and more lately. What gives?

jhawkdan42,

Tell me more about why you define first the way you do? What gives?

John Strayer 1 year, 9 months ago

Not hating...but with Danny gone...who exactly is working with the big men to develop them. That's all we heard for the time Danny was here was all the credit given to him in developing our bigs....

texashawk10 1 year, 9 months ago

Self was developing big men before Manning became an assistant coach so I have no doubt that KU's staff can continue to develop bigs into NBA players. Embiid is a true 7 footer which means he's probably already on NBA radars because they are a rare thing. I'm not calling Embiid NBA ready because he's clearly not, but I guarantee there are NBA scouts already tracking him for the future.

jaybate 1 year, 9 months ago

Big man coaching has defaulted to Norm, or so I recall.

TexasHawk44 1 year, 9 months ago

texashawk10 1 year, 9 months ago

Wayne Selden is definitely the most important get for KU left at this point. He can come in and play the primarily off ball guard spot for Self from day 1 if BenMac is as good as advertised and is good enough to pro after this year. If BenMac does hang around longer, then KU's loaded at the 2/3 spot for 2013. This is the one spot on the floor where lower ranked players have come in and had very early success. Taylor was the starter in this spot from day 1 and Tyrel Reed and Brady Morningstar both succeeded in this role as sophomores.

As for which big I like better, Aaron Gordon is clearly the player ready to contribute immediately and has OAD potential which would mean KU has a scholarship for 2014 since KU doesn't officially have one at this time. I don't doubt that Bill Self wouldn't have a problem recruiting over a couple of players if it meant signing a couple of elite 2014 players, but he's also not going to sign just anybody for 2014 though.

Joel Embiid on the other hand is someone that will be around all 4 years and has the makings of becoming an elite defensive player by the time he leaves KU. Embiid isn't likely to contribute much his first year at KU, but I do believe he would be ready to his sophomore year. One huge positive is that for someone as inexperienced as Embiid, he doesn't get bullied out of position and if Hudy gets her hands on him, then Embiid will be a monster on defense.

As much as KU will need immediate help in the front court in 2013, I think Joel Embiid is the player I would rather have because of the long term upside he has.

Benjamin Piehler 1 year, 9 months ago

Why am I getting advertisements for "Missouri fanatics".com here??

TexasHawk44 1 year, 9 months ago

You are so clever, Jaybate. How could this site go on without you?

I just cannot wait for your rambling, incoherent factless limerick of gibberish. Please enlighten all of us with your mystical wisdom. What a terrible joke you are.

s6u6r6f 1 year, 9 months ago

Whoa there. If there's gonna be a rambling, incoherent, factless limerick of gibberish contest, I want in! Well, me and Joyce. Rock chalk.

Riverrun, past Eve and Adams, Dag Hammerskold livin’d depraved Grim ratchedly frattered, dipped and unbattered, slip-sliddingly frattled and frayed The south won the war The preacher’s a whore From swerve of shore to bend of Bay

TexasHawk44 1 year, 9 months ago

Winner, winner! Chicken dinner!