Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Weis promises to explore all options before OSU game

Kansas head coach Charlie Weis watches from the sidelines during the fourth quarter on Saturday, Oct. 6, 2012 at Bill Snyder Family Stadium in Manhattan.

Following Saturday’s loss to Kansas State, and again during a conference call with reporters on Sunday night, Kansas University football coach Charlie Weis vowed to explore anything and everything that could solve his squad’s second-half struggles.

Tuesday morning, during his regular weekly news conference, Weis shared the details of a new plan that was mostly personnel driven.

Although the updated depth chart showed very few changes, Weis said some of the guys who had been listed as back-ups could receive meaningful playing time this weekend when the Jayhawks play host to Oklahoma State at 2:30 p.m. Saturday.

“There’s several guys that I don’t know enough about when they go on the field,” Weis said. “Some of them I don’t know enough about because there’s guys that are older playing ahead of them that, in practice, play better than them by a wide margin.”

Weis pointed to his offensive line as an example.

Instead of letting second-string left tackle Pat Lewandowski continue to play mostly in mop-up duty, Weis said he would consider giving Lewandowski a series or two in the first half Saturday. Same for red-shirt freshmen Damon Martin at left guard and Dylan Admire at center.

“How are we gonna find out what they’re gonna do against competition if we never play ’em?” Weis asked. “That’s the Catch 22 you’re in. You want to know but never at the expense of risking something in that game.”

The theory says that putting the less-experienced reserves in early on gives them a chance to play when the game is still close, which, in turn, gives Weis and his coaching staff a better indication of how those players stack up against Big 12 talent.

“Everyone wants to look at developing your team as giving up on your team,” Weis said. “And they misconstrue the whole thing. You can’t ever sacrifice your current team for the sake of development. At the same time, you have to do both things simultaneously.”

One other potential advantage of giving a guy like Admire a shot at center is, if he pans out, Weis could then look at moving starting center Trevor Marrongelli to right guard (he started all 12 games last season at left guard) to help shore up a section of KU’s offensive line that has struggled throughout the season.

Although he used the offensive linemen as his example, Weis said the theory held true with every position on the team where an experienced and entrenched veteran was starting ahead of an inexperienced backup. That includes quarterback, where red-shirt freshman Michael Cummings also may be in line to play an extra series or two in the coming weeks.

“I’m cognizant that the second half has been our biggest issue,” Weis said. “You don’t think I’m thinking about that, too? I’m thinking, ‘What can I do?’ And, trust me, it’ll be addressed here in the next 24 hours, because I’d rather go down swinging than not take a swing. I’m not taking a called third strike, I promise you.”

Calling all kickers

While most of the personnel tweaks Weis hinted about on Tuesday were geared toward development, one concrete change on the depth chart came at place kicker, where Weis opened things up and planned to give freshman Austin Barone a shot to compete with junior Ron Doherty for the starting job.

Asked why Barone was in the mix, Weis was blunt.

“I’d like to make a field goal,” he said. “That’d be a good start.”

So far this season, Doherty has connected on just five of 10 field goal tries, including a 1-of-5 mark on kicks longer than 30 yards. Last week, in the 56-16 loss to K-State, Doherty missed a 24-yarder in the first half that killed KU’s momentum.

“Those have to be automatic,” Weis said. “Sometimes you can blame everything on the kicker, and Ron certainly would accept his share of the blame, but there’s a lot of things that factor in.”

Although Doherty has been solid as a punter — 40.5 yards per kick on 21 attempts — Weis said he would be on the lookout for place kickers in the next recruiting class. Asked if he had committed to offering a scholarship to a kicker in the current class, Weis’ answer emphasized the Jayhawks’ desperation.

“Maybe two,” he said. “I’m not gonna come on the short end of that stick, I promise you.”

Sharp living up to name

While the Jayhawks have struggled to find a reliable kicker, the Cowboys have not. Anchored by the big leg of senior Quinn Sharp, Oklahoma State has been dynamite in all aspects of the kicking game throughout the season.

“Their best player might be their kicker,” Weis said. “This Quinn Sharp, he might be the best player at his position in the country.”

Through four games, Sharp is averaging 44 yards per punt, has bombed 27 touchbacks in 32 attempts, hit seven of nine field goal attempts and drilled all 28 extra point tries.

“He’s exceptional,” Weis said.

Giving to a good cause

A portion of all tickets sold to this weekend’s KU-OSU game will be donated to the Jayhawks for a Cure fund, which supports cancer treatment and prevention at the KU Cancer Center and Lawrence Memorial Hospital. For every ticket sold to Saturday’s 2:30 p.m. kickoff with the Cowboys, $5 will go directly to the Jayhawks for a Cure fund.

Comments

Ralster Jayhawk 1 year, 9 months ago

Perfectly blunt, direct comments from Weis himself about the challenges of this roster he inherited. Gotta build thru recruiting, and I'm sure he is looking forward to his FIRST full recruiting season. Im very excited to see what the frosh kicker can do. Its up to Weis to judge if Doherty has shown us all he is capable of (not my job). Weis was right to the point about the kicking game, and overall about how wafer-thin this team really is.

Jim Erickson 1 year, 9 months ago

I agree to an extent. Bringing in the best recruiting class in the nation wouldn't make a difference for at least 2 years. Weis has to do what he wasn't able to do at Notre Dame, and that is to develop players. I believe in him as well, but recruiting his own boys will really only be helping him in his 3rd or 4th year. Lets hope some big time developing goes on.

vd 1 year, 9 months ago

He inherited a top rated kicker, but chose to eliiminate him.

kualum95 1 year, 9 months ago

I know through one of the family friends (and alum) in the Dallas area, he was told he would loose his scholarship, as Weis "didn't need a kicker on scholarship when he had a punter that could do both". So like any good Rivals 5th ranked kicker, he will go somewhere else. The media often times don't get the truth due to the power the coaches have on releasability! Always remember that.

Ryan Shelton 1 year, 9 months ago

If your sister's friend's brother heard it from his neighbor, it must be true.

Micky Baker 1 year, 9 months ago

Mueller wasn't all that impressive a year ago any way, and he could have been one of the players not performing well in the classroom.

actorman 1 year, 9 months ago

It's vd, so I think the answer to your question is self-explanatory.

NebraskaJayhawk 1 year, 9 months ago

Also, to put things in perspective, Mueller was benched for Doherty last year under Gill....so though he was a pretty good recruit out of H.S., he didn't pan out at Kansas. Question is, why is that.

KGphoto 1 year, 9 months ago

Yes, but Mueller couldn't hit a field goal any better than Doherty. Don't know why, but he was pretty bad while at KU.

TenaciousD 1 year, 9 months ago

Keep in mind that his biggest problem this year is a result of Weis' recruiting. It's Crist! Jordan Webb was pretty bad, but if he were the QB, the W-L record would look much different. Weis' recruit is absolutely horrible!

Swamphawk 1 year, 9 months ago

You talking about the same Jordan Webb who has led Colorado to a 1-4 record? Not sure how many wins he would've led us to. Sure would be nice to have a decent QB though.

minipman 1 year, 9 months ago

hey weis, may be you should have an open try out for kickers.. i bet you could post something in the University Kansan about it.. i guarantee there are students here who can kick better..heck mayb Crist can kick better than he throws. if you are worried bout giving him playing time but you wont bench him.. there's a solution for you.. ..

p.s. Doherty proved he runs better than he kicks

jhox 1 year, 9 months ago

I recall he put such a plea out to the student body early in the practice season, and apparently no one came forward.

OhioHawkfan 1 year, 9 months ago

It worked for Texas Tech a few years ago . . . .

Micky Baker 1 year, 9 months ago

Texas Tech just had a kicking contest at half time and the kid won. They didn't do any pleading.

Ben Kliewer 1 year, 9 months ago

"I'd like to make a field goal" Like you said. Blunt and to the point. I like this Weis guy. He's not tiptoeing around the issue or just saying "bad execution, we'll work hard and try our darnedest next time" like somebody else we know.

nuleafjhawk 1 year, 9 months ago

Note to Charlie - at this point in the season, go ahead and play anybody you want - any time you want, if there's a chance they will help improve this team.

There is not a bowl game riding on this.

NebraskaJayhawk 1 year, 9 months ago

Yeah, I think you're right at this point in the season. Early on I was not in favor of pulling guys just to experiment. I think he needs to see what he has for the coming years as well. Crist is not donning a jersey on Sunday, I think we can all safely agree on that. That's not saying he won't succeed in something else, but I don't think it's going to be football.

doctorWho 1 year, 9 months ago

I think many of us could also safely agree that Crist shouldn't be donning a jersey on Saturday.

NebraskaJayhawk 1 year, 9 months ago

That's debatable, but you very well could be right. He might be our best option. I think what a lot of people don't understand is that Weis needs a certain type of QB in his style of offense. As much as I'd like to see Cummings play, I have a hard time seeing him run a pro-style offense. I do think he deserves a shot at this point in the season though.

Jason Keller 1 year, 9 months ago

You will no longer have to skim over my rants about KU special teams. WE HAVE A KICKER PEOPLE. He is on campus and coach Weis has watched him kick touchback after touchback. He will be eligible next year, thank god.

Next year, if this team can make small improvements on offense and defense with a massive improvement on special teams, I think they have a real shot to be better.

Jim Erickson 1 year, 9 months ago

Agree, but huge upgrade at QB (hopefully in Heaps) is essential as well.

NebraskaJayhawk 1 year, 9 months ago

That's a good point. I hope Weis goes into next season with the QB position wide open for the taking.

Rivethead 1 year, 9 months ago

Why? Anyone who went to the spring game saw the same thing I did.....Heaps was by far the best QB playing that day.

doctorWho 1 year, 9 months ago

You could have a huge upgrade from Crist with Heaps and it would just mean you had an average BCS quarterback. I'll settle for that.

Lucas Town 1 year, 9 months ago

I agree with you there, Heaps will be in his first season working with Weis' offense against live competition. So next year we will have another first year QB.

Brandon Pope 1 year, 9 months ago

I agree. I will certainly remain more tempered leading up to the Heaps era. I just don't see how Weis can strike out on TWO 5-star QBs in a row.

Lucas Town 1 year, 9 months ago

Has Weis came out and said that Heaps will be our starter for the next 2 years? Or will he have to compete for the job against all others? I hope there is a legitamate competition for QB. He gave the job to Crist and its not working out. I am afraid if he does the same for Heaps we will see similar results. Here's hoping that isn't the case.

gdkadjayhawk 1 year, 9 months ago

I"ll admit I haven't been tracking kickers. Do you have a name? Is he a transfer?

Swamphawk 1 year, 9 months ago

I'd like to know this as well.

Steve Reigle 1 year, 9 months ago

I don't recall the name but saw the article recently. He's a transfer and required to sit out this season by the NCAA transfer rules.

nuleafjhawk 1 year, 9 months ago

Ooooh! Any relation to Chaka ??

april28 1 year, 9 months ago

I can live through the pain of another rough season but the biggest challenge to Charlie is simple: how do I improve the talent level of my team next year?

He's been very smart so far and has cleared a bunch of room for scholarships. He's got to find a way to find some difference makers. Success over the next two years hinges on his ability to get more talent.

Jeff Suther 1 year, 9 months ago

Before he looks to much for a kicker he should start with finding a QB that can throw, WR that can catch llineman that can block defensive lineman that can create pressure and can some freaking DBs that can cover a freaking WR

Jim Erickson 1 year, 9 months ago

It's unfortunate that we will be going into next year losing a good group of seniors. Pick, Beshears, Patterson, Zlatnik, Marrongelli, Hawkinson, Ragone, Josh WIlliams, McDonald, Opurum, McDougald, and Brown are all decent players and are focal points of what we are doing this year. For as bad as this team is, it is not that bad of a class. Zlatinik and several others may have a shot at the NFL.

I'm excited for year 2 of Charlie and am looking forward to recruiting and player development but this is a decent class that is leaving Kansas.

NebraskaJayhawk 1 year, 9 months ago

I don't know dude, I'd have to disagree. I think every one of these guys are pretty average at their position with the exception of Zlatnik and McDougald. Opurum should have never been moved out of the backfield. He would have made a great fullback.

Fototherapist 1 year, 9 months ago

You are absolutely correct. These seniors have been the ones playing and losing!

Brandon Pope 1 year, 9 months ago

Yeah I have to agree. I think we have lost perspective a little. Harder to tell what good is anymore at a lot of positions. I think most of those guys are average at best at their positions but have been starting and contributing for so long we just assume that they are talented. Thats usually how it works, not at KU over the last 3 years.

MartyrMangino 1 year, 9 months ago

A plea for sanity amongst KU fans,

Not long ago, many on this message board were urging the Turner Gill detractors to be patient. We lose to Baylor by 48 points? Be patient. We lose at home to Kansas State by 52 points? Be patient. OSU mercifully not scoring 100 points on us? Be patient. A game against Texas in which we had a total of 3 first downs and a total of 48 net yards gained? Be patient.

There were a lot of Turner Gill apologists, and BELIEVING was an nice, little positive catch phrase for our program after the turmoil of the football / basketball fight, coaching investigations, and a collapse of our "History Awaits" dreams. The problem is, there was a lot of hard work that went into getting the program to the point at which people COULD believe. Coach Mangino and his teams practiced next to the soccer practice fields, used the antiquated Anschutz Strength & Conditioning facility, and then took a BUS across campus to play their hearts out even though there wasn't a sold out crowd, even though they would never be national champions or even Big 12 champions. Well, all of their time and effort paid off and we went to a few bowl games, we had some sold out home games, tore down a load of goalposts, and we made the cover of Sports Illustrated (In football!). Finally, we break through and not only go to, but win a BCS bowl, and for the only time in our history, a bowl game in the following season. My point is, it was easy to believe then. The heavy lifting had been done. Only later would we find out that Coach Gill's team's academic standing was in ashambles, just as week after week our on-field results were. We were in bad, bad shape.

After two seasons of the most gut wrenching losses and records upon records set against our team, we still had enough football pride in the tank to buy-out Coach Gill. Names were tossed around and many were convinced that we couldn't persuade a quality coach to come to our university. Mostly assistant coaches were suspected to be our options, and if you had asked anybody, ANYBODY, if they thought Charlie Weis would be our next head coach, no one could have contained their laughter at such a glib fantasy.

We now have a head coach who won a Super Bowl with the legendary coach Bill Parcells and he won 3 Super Bowls with Bill Belichick. He believes in results, hard work, academic success, and he has a non-profit organization to benefit children and adults with developmental disorders. He is tough, but fair, and he is by far the most credentialed coach we have every had at KU.

MartyrMangino 1 year, 9 months ago

(cont).

We have hit a rough patch this season. Rougher than a lot of people anticipated, but we need to get behind coach Weis AND our players. They are working hard every day to improve and nobody on this message board wants to win more than they do. I can understand the questioning of this or that strategy, but at the end of the day, we need to be there at the games, and cheer, and support our young men through this rough patch. For goodness sakes, Bill Self hasn't even achieved the success that Charlie Weis has. Let the man work. He wants to win, his players want to win, and he knows what it takes to get it done. We are no longer losing games by record point totals, people are attending the games, our team's academic standing is MUCH better, and so far, we have had a realistic chance in the 4th quarter of each game we lost to win those games.

Please folks, let's not be like Missouri fans and turn on our own. Let's help coach Weis build this program better than it has ever been! We have waited this long anyway and we are very, very lucky that we have him here. He has brought in a great staff and these guys are winners. Winners win.

vd 1 year, 9 months ago

We lose to Rice, be patient. We lose to Northern Illinois, be patient. We get clobbered by K State, be patient.

vd 1 year, 9 months ago

Tough but fair. Tell that to Jordan Webb. Most credentialed coach we have had. By NFL standards, maybe. By College standards, definitely not.

CrystalJones 1 year, 9 months ago

Agree with vd...

Two words: Bill Callahan

MartyrMangino 1 year, 9 months ago

Well, maybe if you ever bump into Pete Carrol, Nick Saban, or Steve Spurrier, you can tell them that NFL guys can't have success coaching the college game.

Jason Keller 1 year, 9 months ago

Ha! Soon you will be able to throw in what's his name at UCLA too

pbouldenv 1 year, 9 months ago

Well said, MartyrMangino! I will be there this weekend even though it will take me several hours to get to there. I am looking forward to it, but OSU scares me more than anyone else on the schedule...their offense is scary.

NebraskaJayhawk 1 year, 9 months ago

100% agree. I will say that the one thing I was surprised about was the fact that once we did get down against K-State, it was roll-over-and-die-time just like every game Gill's teams got down. It's unacceptable under any circumstances. I am 100% behind Weis and what he's trying to do, but he needs to be a little more passionate with his players on gameday. It's one of the things I miss about Mangino. It's okay to yell on the sideline at your players! It's college, not the NFL. I don't know..maybe something he is still adjusting to. As crazy as it sounds, I still think we could win a couple of games. There were definitely some positive flashes during that game. However, if I were Weis, I would not kick another field goal the entire season unless it's inside the 20.

Micky Baker 1 year, 9 months ago

You're right, but some aren't willing to man up and be realistic.

Joe Ross 1 year, 9 months ago

Totally agree. there was a difference between manginos early losing seasons and turner gills. Not so much in the record, but in the product n the field. Jaybate in all his wisdom couldn't see that difference, and thought gills ouster was too soon. Some people never learn. But I see it in Charlies team, except I think he is a bit too loyal to crist.

kureader 1 year, 9 months ago

Hello Jross.
I don't think it's so much his loyalty to Crist as it is his feeling about the alternatives.

Danny Hernandez 1 year, 9 months ago

I posted on phog.net about Mike Leach and how the fans have turned against him, how his WSU team barely beat Eastern Washington & UNLV. Leach's WSU team stinks and his honeymoon is already over. Of course, a few replys to my post defended him by saying that it's going to take 3-4 years before he's run off because the team he inherited really stinks from a talent stand-point. Add it the fact that Washington, USC, Oregon etc., take all the top talent so it could take longer.

And a reply to that said how funny it is to be rational when it's another schools' program.

Same for Kansas. The talent just isn't here and it will take 2-3 years before we see a difference. And the difference could occur overnight.

I'm patient and stand behind our Coach and his staff. I reside in Miami so I can't attend the games but IF I lived in KC, I'd see every home game and stay till the end showing my support for guys giving their all

jayhawkinATL 1 year, 9 months ago

Yeah, how about giving Crist ANOTHER day off!!!

Brandon Pope 1 year, 9 months ago

Meh. Crist has been bad but he is still the best chance we have as the fornt line starter QB. He knows the offense and he has shown moments of what he is capable of. The first half at KSU is a good example. Baty or Cummings would not have had us within a score at the half. Thats just a plain and simple fact. If they could do better, they would be playing.

I would rather keep working Crist so that maybe he has a couple of full games like he played the first half at KSU. He has shown improvement each week and I expect that to continue. If he has a full game, we might sneak up and beat someone. If he doesn't, well then at least we tried.

Better to take a chance at a win or two than to get experience for a QB who will most likely be a wide receiver or something before he leaves KU. Anyone who thinks Weis is not going to get some good QB recruits of his own in here before Baty or Cummings outlasts Heaps is fooling themselves.

Jason Keller 1 year, 9 months ago

Yes Charles but teams still respect Crists big arm, despite how he has played so far. He may not have been making difficult throws but when Crist, a 5th year senior, is on the field, the defense will play differently than if you put Baty out there. Baty and Cummings can make those throws but they might not have been there without Crist.

Brandon Pope 1 year, 9 months ago

In the middle of a big 12 game is not the answer.

Brandon Pope 1 year, 9 months ago

Considering we haven't seen either of them perform when it matters I am not sure where you are getting your insight from. We don't know that they would command the offense the way Crist can. If they could, and their skill set made them a better fit I have no doubt they would play. Regardless of whether Crist makes all the plays or not, which he certainly doesn't, his presence opens the play book. It lets coach get creative. Throwing a read option with inferior skills, inferior knowledge of the system, and a lack of experience into a complex pro style offense

Brandon Pope 1 year, 9 months ago

And we are seeing MULTIPLE drives where other packages that don't involve Crist at the helm are in play. Thats as much as we are going to see.

Steve Corder 1 year, 9 months ago

I like the man, and "not taking a third strike" comment is perfect.

Tony Bandle 1 year, 9 months ago

Just keep the scoreboard lit up as the first half..have the band come out of the tunnel and sing the national anthem again...see??.......problem solved!!

MLJayhawk 1 year, 9 months ago

Well said, MartyrMangino. You should take your post and post it on the all the message boards... and perhaps then we can really send a message.

I am so tired of folks being unrealistic, that it gives me a headache. I am even more tired that we have stooped to new lows, specifically the neagative statements on our own football players.

We truly have good players. Maybe we havent played them right, or maybe they havent been coached properly, but they have talent indeed. Did you forget that we've had 3 coaches with 3 different styles in 4 years! Can you imagine learning new plays and new formations over and over again? They have not had the luxury of building a relationship with the same coach. We just need stability and development. I am sure that they feel worse than you guys do.

Let me say this. I analyze and critique the games, too. And I would love to see some personnel changes myself (and I hope to see changes this Saturday). But please dont tell me that yall are so blind....that you dont see any improvement or progress what so ever... please BE PATIENT. We are headed in the right direction. Geez...

Reuben_J_Cogburn 1 year, 9 months ago

I understand TCU turned it over a few times within our 10. Some forced...some not-so-much. But regardless of the reasoning, we were well capable of winning that game. Arguably, a shoe-string tackle and a fumble at the goalline were all that kept us from tying it up.

Sorry to say, guys, but we'd all be singing a different tune if we were 4-1 right now. And as ridiculous as it it sounds, 4-1 was a potential.

But this is where we're at. I have to believe things will get better; otherwise, we're playing into the "wait till basketball" stereotype with which most K-State and Mizzou fans paint us.

Danny Hernandez 1 year, 9 months ago

And mizery fans are already saying wait till basketball for their team......haha

Mo Mosallaei 1 year, 9 months ago

I support coach Weis and I think the future is going to be better. Having said that you can't argue with some glaring facts. As bad as Gill was, he beat NIU. And there's no excuse for losing to Rice who is now 1-5. Weis's loyalty to Crist is my biggest gripe with this staff.

Robert Brown 1 year, 9 months ago

Whether we like it or not Weis is not going anywhere. At the time, it was a risky hire and the early results are not good. This team should be better than last year's team and it's not. I can't believe anyone is trying to spin that K-state gave showed some glimmers of hope in the first half. We had a nice stretch where the offense was clicking but that only lasted about a quarter and we needed two fake licks to score. Then we self destructed in the 3rd quarter and by 40. That's not improvement.

Picking Weis was widely panned as one of the worst hires of all the openings so none of this should be surprising.

pbouldenv 1 year, 9 months ago

Did you watch the game HouTexHawk? It was 28-16 at 7:59 in the 3rd and we were getting the ball back. Plus, we were in the redzone twice without getting any points. We had over 400 yrds of offense, so it wasn't like we weren't moving the ball. The TOs made this game seem like a blow out, but it really should have been a lot closer game. The team has improved, but it might not show this upcoming weekend.

Robert Brown 1 year, 9 months ago

I did watch the game. The score midway through the third quarter is irrelevent. They completely fell apart just like they did last year. They made a lot of turnovers last year. Tell where the team is better- not on offense, specialty teams are worse, defense is forcing turnovers, but giving up chunks of yards. Given that the key players and one more year of experience, coaching is better, and we have some better player like 5th year players coming in to play this year, I expected much better results.

Robert Brown 1 year, 9 months ago

Don't appreciate the insults- HawkHead. No, I don't think we would be better with Turner Gill, that is not what I said. Gill needed to go, but I question whether Weis was the right choice. I am not the only one who questioned the hire at the time. I don't care about the four Super Bowl rings. He was not head coach. He was about to get run out of Florida and everyone knows what happened at Notre Dame.

I did watch the game and it reminded me of many games the last two years where the team self destructed.

Weis pretty much guaranteed a better season by bringing in Crist and some other 5th year seniors. That never made sense to me unless you really thought you could get close to bowl eligibility. The team is 1-4 with losses to NIU (not a bad team, but still a MAC school), and Rice (a bad team with one win). The played TCU close at home, but they had some close home losses last year and the K-State game was just like the last two years.

Joe Baker 1 year, 9 months ago

Let's admit it. We all knew this was going to be a rough year with the last few years hanging over the program. Weis brought Crist in and is obviously taking advantage of this down year. He is letting Crist get in some reps, because this is Crist's last shot at some hint for the NFL. It can't hurt. What other QB will you get in the game with Crist's D1 experience?

We all know Heaps is the KU QB for tomorrow. He's learning under Weis and Crist. It reminds me of the movie "The Replacements" when they huddled and the big Samoan threw up. They all huddled and moved away at the same time. But in the end, leadership brought them together. Madden said, "It's the only thing they've done right all day." I'll take anything at this point.

This movie is great and if you haven't seen it, it's a must see.

Jayhawker111 1 year, 9 months ago

How would anyone now that Heaps is the KU quarterback of tomorrow?

Heaps got beat out at BYU by a guy named Nelson...

Nelson now has been beaten out by a freshman...

Heaps loses to Nelson and Nelson loses to a freshamn...

How good can Heaps be....And please do not say he looked good in the Spring Game. Crist looked good also.... My grandma would look good with no blitzing and lineman told not to pass rush.

Crist was given the job --he did not earn it and he has failed miserably.

How about we make Heaps earn the job --before we just assume he is the best quarterback.

Heaps got beat out at BYU and there are others at KU that may prove they are better than Heaps.

Hopefully Wies has learned you do not just hand a Qb job to some guy because you know him and he is a good kid.....They gotta earn it...

Any other current Qb on the roster will give KU a btter chance to diversify the offense. Crist just cannot move and is afraid of getting hit...

KU must change QB.

kureader 1 year, 9 months ago

You may not have seen Heaps throw the football. He has a better arm than any KU QB since David Jaynes, and he's mobile. I don't believe Weis has declared Heaps the starter for next year, but one look at Heaps and it's easy to see that the writing is on the wall.

Micky Baker 1 year, 9 months ago

Did you see Cummings in the game last week? He did NOTHING.

MLJayhawk 1 year, 9 months ago

I cant wait to hear the comments that will be posted if we win a game. Such fair weather fans, we are.

Robert Brown 1 year, 9 months ago

You we should input positive comments? Many of the people who are posting critical comments are NOT fair weather fans, they are concerned and passionate fans. A fair weather fan would stop following the team and not waste time posting on a blog.

Robert Brown 1 year, 9 months ago

I respect your opinion and don't appreciate the insulting tone. First off, I am not a Gill supporter and believe he had to go. I'm not sold that Weis was the answer. A lot of people agree with me. I hope I'm wrong. You do not allow for anyone to question whether Weis is the right choice.

Steve Brown 1 year, 9 months ago

MIZ SEC

the next best thing than beating the Tigers is watching someone else do it.

stanleys 1 year, 9 months ago

weis shoulda been doing this after the Rice and TCU game instead of sugar coating the losses with "we're turning the corner" bulls--t!! And Crist shoulda had his bags packed and benched long before the 4th quarter of the k-suck game. Just sayin'

All I'm hoping for at this point now is for the MIZ SEC tigers to get drilled by Alabama and every other game after that one!!!!!!

squawkhawk 1 year, 9 months ago

If Weis is such a good developer of QBs, then why does 5 star Crist stink?

Micky Baker 1 year, 9 months ago

Are you seriously this stupid man? 5 games into this season with a whole new team? You're not much of a football fan on any level, are you?

Micky Baker 1 year, 9 months ago

Keep putting the pressure like this on Crist, and who would want to come play for this unloyal, unrealistic fan base?

Micky Baker 1 year, 9 months ago

Here are my thoughts on the QB situation.

1. I don't want Baty to lose a year of eligibility just because of some emotional reaction by the fans.
  2. Cummings can't redshirt this year so he can come in in mop up duty and if he wins the job in practice, then sobeit, but I'm not doubting Weis for sticking with Crist. That would send a bad message to other QBs Weis is trying to recruit.

Baty only has two years of eligibility and so does Heaps. Do you really want to waste on one of those years for either of them this year?

Cummings showed nothing on Saturday. Sure, could he? Could he get it to the undersized receivers? I doubt it. Beshear's head isn't in the right place. He looks resentful out there and should be replaced, with a taller guy like Omigie, but Beshears could have roles in certain offensive looks.

I don't want a QB controversy which was common place under Terry Allen and the earlier years of Mangino, but mostly due to injury. Create a QB controversy and see what it does to degenerate the team's unity that they are building under a new coach.

The last two seasons the players weren't pushed work hard, to improve. That's the reality of what Weis inherited.

It was in worse shape when Weis got here than it was when Mangino and Glen Mason got here. No doubt about it. But Mason and Mangino both achieved success over time, particularly Mangino with more talent than Mason had, but one thing Mason did was beat Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Colorado, and not when they were rebuilding. KU beat Colorado in Boulder when Colorado was a legit national title contender. Mason never beat Nebraska, but did come close on a few occasions in good competitive football games. Mason also beat OU the week after Colorado, or it may have been the other way around, both games on the road and Mason won both of them, and nobody thought KU had a chance in either. KU was 21 point underdogs going to Colorado, and won 40-24.

KU trailed OU early 14-0 and then 14-7 at the half. Mason/Weis share a lot of the same qualities as far as coaching goes. Except Weis inherited a program in a condition that was worse when Mason got here.

On the issue with Gill, here is what it would have taken for me to have stayed behind him.

Beat Baylor and Texas Tech last year. We had them both on the ropes.

Also, stand behind your players when they make a good play and the refs make a bad call. It's okay if you get a 15 yard penalty, it unites the team. Weis needs to do that too on a cheap call that goes against us for reasons that seem obvious to me.