Wednesday, October 10, 2012

KU-Mizzou match-up in NCAA tournament wouldn’t shock Self

— Kansas and Missouri might be meeting again in men’s basketball sooner than anybody expected.

“The NCAA Selection committee has a strange sense of humor,” KU coach Bill Self said at Tuesday’s Coaches vs. Cancer fundraiser at the College Basketball Experience next to Sprint Center.

He was referring to the possibility of the longtime rivals being placed in the same bracket in the NCAA Tournament.

“I wouldn’t be surprised if it does happen because they are going to be really good in basketball and hopefully we’ll continue to be OK,” Self added.

The powers-that-be at KU, who are adamant about not scheduling former Big 12 partner/current SEC member Missouri, obviously could not prevent such a meeting during March Madness.

As far as regular-season contests ... they won’t be happening anytime soon.

“My feelings haven’t changed at all. I’ll miss playing them. I love the game. It’s my favorite game,” Self said of KU-MU.

“This is above my head, too. I’ve got a chancellor and athletic director and I actually feel strongly about it myself. We are not part of their future and they are not part of ours. ... I don’t see our stance changing. I don’t think Texas is going to play Texas A&M (which also left Big 12 for SEC this season). If they are not going to play A&M, why should we play Missouri or vice versa? Nobody from Missouri has contacted me about playing, not one person. I would think they would want to (play). They know it’s nothing personal. It’s just business. They make business decisions and certainly we can make business decisions.”

Missouri has made it clear the Tigers do want to schedule KU in hoops and football, too.

“This year I experienced people talking that it was the last time Kansas and Missouri would play,” second-year MU coach Frank Haith said of last year’s Feb. 25 meeting in Allen Fieldhouse. “That was an eerie feeling because we had such great games. I’m hopeful that in time, that won’t be the case. Usually all you need is just some time.”

Self and Haith had a funny exchange about the cancellation of the KU-MU series Tuesday on the dais before 1,000 or so fundraiser attendees. Self and Haith sat on the same stage with UMKC’s Matt Brown, K-State’s Bruce Weber and former MU coach Norm Stewart.

“I do think we can have rivalries and not be in the same league. We played Illinois when you were there, didn’t we?” Haith said, addressing KSU’s Weber, who indeed coached against Missouri the past nine seasons as the Illini coach.

“Memphis needs an opponent,” KU coach Self said, breaking up the conversation between the two and eliciting a roar of laughter from the fans.

There is another way KU and MU might be forced to play in the future. There are reports that the SEC and Big 12 are in preliminary discussions about a possible preseason challenge between league members.

“I know there has been some talk of that,” said KSU’s Weber. “I’m not sure exactly what will happen.”

“I don’t know how soon it’ll happen, if it’ll happen. I think our league would be very open to it,” Self said of an SEC-Big 12 challenge.

Juenemann on UMKC staff: UMKC coach Brown reported Tuesday that former KU walk-on guard Jordan Juenemann has joined his staff as a graduate assistant. “He’s a great person, very impressive,” Brown said of Juenemann, who is taking classes in business at UMKC toward an advanced degree.

Big man impresses: Self praised the preseason work of senior center Jeff Withey: “I really think he’s pretty good. I watched him today,” Self said. “He can block and alter about as well as anybody but he has to be a presence offensively. Last year he played off of Thomas (Robinson). This year, defenses will be designed to stop him.”

Comments

minipman 1 year, 9 months ago

no one wants mu around anymore.. and of couse it would be KU luck to end up having to play them in the tourny

nuleafjhawk 1 year, 9 months ago

GETTING to play them, don't you mean?

Nothing like putting a good post-season A$$ whoopin on your former rivals.

rxjayhawk 1 year, 9 months ago

Former rivals? They will always be our rivals.

nuleafjhawk 1 year, 9 months ago

I suppose technically. But I think if you took a poll of most of the KU fans, the rivalry is GREATLY diminished now.

In my mind - Miss-Who? doesn't even exist.

But I'd still like to beat them senseless in every sport.

jhawkrulz 1 year, 9 months ago

I must say Teams like Nebraska they are dead to me; however, watching Mizzou lose to Vandy last week was joyful and actually has helped me get through the football season.

s6u6r6f 1 year, 9 months ago

Not likely. I mean, seriously, what are the odds of Kansas coming into the tourney as a 15 seed? And we know that historically missouli never gets out of that first weekend alive. Thus, it'll never happen. Rock chalk

Alohahawk 1 year, 9 months ago

Missery vs KU in the NCAA? Yeah. That's sounds about like what the tourney big wigs would do to create mega-bucks. But first, MU would have to make it past the first round, second round, third round ....... before they'd get to play KU. Unless they were unable to get a higher seed and ended up an 8 seed, or lower. You know. KU a 1 or 2 seed while MU is a 15 or 16 seed. Just rare any BCS team is given that low of a seed. Be nicer still to see them end up perennial NIT fodder.

As for the SEC vs Big 12 in BB? I'd go for an annual matchup between the two conferences, with one caveat: That KU would never be matched up against Missery, and rarely, if ever, against ATM.

And finally: "Memphis needs an opponent." The usual from Coach Self. Priceless! PHOF!

rockchalk_dpu 1 year, 9 months ago

Not to mention Self's earlier statement that MU is "going to be really good in basketball and hopefully we’ll continue to be OK." He just has a way with words and finding the right comment at the perfect time.

hotrodm 1 year, 9 months ago

KU doesn't need to put Miz-Who on National TV. Unless they are playing in the NCAA tourney. Let MU basketball just fade away in a football conference.

bradynsdad 1 year, 9 months ago

If the SEC and Big 12 schedule together than I guarantee KU would be playing Kentucky first and Florida second. Maybe Mizzou will win a game in SEC basketball because I don't think their football team will accomplish that task. Bruce Weber should know to keep his mouth shut, he will be the recipient of spankings for at least two years to come before be is fired.

bradh 1 year, 9 months ago

I can see scheduling the SEC in football, we're the two best football conferences. I can't see scheduling the SEC in basketball, for the most part they aren't in our league, unless we have to in order to get the football games scheduled.

Krohnutz 1 year, 9 months ago

You are absolutely correct. And you can bet Texas would be playing the one we are not.

Lindsey Buscher 1 year, 9 months ago

It would have to be this year though because I don't see fizzou consistently making the tourney from here on out and we certainly aren't going to meet up in the NIT or the CBI.

I imagine the next matchup will come in the CBE Classic at the Sprint Center maybe like 10 years from now.

Lindsey Buscher 1 year, 9 months ago

Ah Self-depricating humor at its best.

justinryman 1 year, 9 months ago

I was gonna post the same quote and comment that was a little back handed and deservingly so.

Love that dig.

nuleafjhawk 1 year, 9 months ago

I want to be Bill Self when I grow up.

SaltLakeHawk 1 year, 9 months ago

This has to be one of my all time favorite Self quotes.

lol!!!!

Missouri has stood up Kansas 14 times at the Final Four.

For whatever reason, they never show up. How rude.

Ron Franklin 1 year, 9 months ago

I hope WIthey comes out confident and a man on fire from day one this year. He has the tendency to be too laid back and that takes away from his game. Last year we saw him shine when Tyshawn took him under his wing and helped him feel like the big part of the team that he was. For the first month, Jeff didn't act like he fit in with the team--on or off the court--then I noticed the change instigated by Ty. I'm nervous a little bit that Releford doesn't have the leadership or fire to get Jeff motivated like Ty could. Releford is just so laid back and cool. I think EJ has the ability--but in my opinion, he has proven to only be aggressive in spurts. EJ and Releford need to know they are captains of this ship and accept those responsibilities and duties right now. Ty was a natural at it because he has been the man of his house since childhood, and he already knew how to be a man and a leader. He already understood what it meant to have a family counting on him. Last year he lead his Jayhawk family to the doorstep of greatness.

What will our emerging leaders EJ and Releford do?

bennybob 1 year, 9 months ago

I think Jeff Withey's improvement over last year will be the gauge by which the impact of Danny Manning's departure can be measured.

With Manning, everyone would be right in assuming a huge step forward in Withey's offensive ability. Let's see if we get that same improvement without him.

bennybob 1 year, 9 months ago

to put things in perspective, i don't think anybody would be expecting 18 ppg from Withey next year with or without D Manning. but with D Manning I'd expect a bump to 12-13 ppg next year

notzimmer 1 year, 9 months ago

i could waste time refuiting you, but it wouldnt matter. your an idiot

Kurt Eskilson 1 year, 9 months ago

Tell us you were being ironic, Ralster …

Iandhi 1 year, 9 months ago

I think that is called the web of causation.

bennybob 1 year, 9 months ago

HAHA!

Ralster getting hammered as a HCBS doubter - classic!

the humor wasn't wasted on me ralster, i got it. but i have to admit, watching it go over the heads on the other posters was probably even more funny.

ATTN everyone: show me one season HCBS has been at kansas when he hasn't been talking down his team at this point of year? it's coaching 101 to say your team has alot of improving to do at the beginning of a season. how would you keep your kids motivated if you were telling them they don't need to get any better right now?

juke4jay 1 year, 9 months ago

Ha - meet Mizzou in the NCAA tourney? To do that, they'd have to advance at least 2 to 3 games, and given past performance that is VERY unlikely! Like HCBS, I'll miss the games with the slavers during season, but they are the ones who sh** in their nest, and they now need to sleep in it!

justinryman 1 year, 9 months ago

I tried to give you a thumbs up, but it went all weird.

But I wanted to give you one about the bottle openers.

NICE!

jayhawks1009 1 year, 9 months ago

Wait, When did MU get a 16-seed?

justinryman 1 year, 9 months ago

Oh no you didn't!

Why yes you did and deservingly so!

Tony Bandle 1 year, 9 months ago

Mizzoo vs Kansas?? BOOWAHH, HA, HA, HEE, HEE HO, HO HO, SNORT, COUGH, CHOKE, GASP, HA, HA, HAH, HAH........BEST LAUGH I'VE HAD THIS MONTH!!!!!!!!!!

Jason Keller 1 year, 9 months ago

Someone said in a previous article that there is something out there attached to Kansas that is turning kids off. Let's start with this video.....

It was made by K-state fans.

dylans 1 year, 9 months ago

Theses are all Roy's guys. or players who've been hurt .Who cares? If you follow KU basketball you know Self gets guys to the NBA on a regular basis. Also Mario has a championship ring from both the NBA and NCAA.

Alex Peekeaton 1 year, 9 months ago

James Young to announce college choice on ESPNU tomorrow at 5pm eastern...

Tony Bandle 1 year, 9 months ago

AAWWW Crap...hre comes another 100 post string about HCBS not being able to recruit!! :{

Alex Peekeaton 1 year, 9 months ago

James Young's decision will have zero effect on Julius Randle's decision...Randle plays the 4 & 5 spots, while Young plays 2 & 3 spots. Both Randle & Young have recently said they want to play with the Harrison twins. I would say UK - 70%, Cuse - 20%, MSU & KU with 5% each...

AverageCitizen 1 year, 9 months ago

Actually, Julius didn't say he 'wanted' to play with the Harrison twins. He was asked if the twins going to Kentucky would prevent him from going there and he said no. There is a BIG difference between those two statements. It was asked because there was some talk that Julius didn't like them. Both camps have denied problems but, really, what else is he gonna say? He may not have anything against them personally but the twins have been said to be ball hogs and showboats. Perhaps that is not Julius style or maybe he would like to shine brighter somewhere else. He may end up at UK but I don't think it would be because they are all good buddies.

Alex Peekeaton 1 year, 9 months ago

“Yeah, for sure, I’d consider playing with them,” Randle told SNY.tv. “I mean, just playing with great players make the game easier itself, so of course I’d consider playing with them.”

Asked how good a Kentucky class featuring the twins, himself and perhaps Wiggins would be, Randle said, “I think I’ve said it before, we would have the best class, if not the best class they’ve had before.”

Alex Peekeaton 1 year, 9 months ago

Randle's mother on Harrison Twins...

“I’ve read and heard about those rumors, and I think Julius has covered that (in interviews with the media),” Kyles said. “There is no truth to that whatsoever. Those two young men are great. We’ve known them since maybe the second grade when they started (on club teams), and we played them in the Kingwood Classic in Houston when they were in the second grade. Julius always gets along with them, gets along with their parents. They’re very respectful to me when they see me. They come and hug me and say, ‘Hi, Ms. Randle.’ They’re two great players. … Who wouldn’t want to play with two guys who work as hard as you do and want a championship? There’s never been any type of madness between each other or not getting along.

“… The only time there’s any type of rivalry is if it’s (Randle’s) Titans (club team) play (the Harrisons’) Defenders because they want to win. Who’s going to win? And you’re going after it on the court. But after the last seconds are off, it’s hugging and wishing congratulations and moving forward.”

Alex Peekeaton 1 year, 9 months ago

Never said "definitely"....Randle is going to UK with Florida having the only other real shot. Randle wants to win a NC and head to the NBA....

Randle also posted on twitter after the Harrisons picked Kentucky: “Congrats to my bros @DrewRoc5 & @AaronICE2.”

Alex Peekeaton 1 year, 9 months ago

KD...not sure where you are getting the "sensitive" remarks from, but Randle's visit to UK last month sealed it and that visit pretty much was the reason for Duke and North Carolina being cut from his list shortly after in my opinion. Randle has made several calls to Calipari since his visit asking him what he needs to work on to get better. Florida already has PF Walker signed, so not sure how that would work out. Based upon his comments, don't see any other school out there that is going out recruit Calipari and believe me, Cal wants Randle. Shabazz in my opinion is a tweener (2 & 3 spot) and is very selfish on the court - UK's Poythress is a much better fit since he plays defense! Jefferson was considered a backup insurance policy, but Bennet surprised a lot of UK folk - but good for him to stay at home! The true hidden gem out of this class is going to be Cauley-Stein!

Alex Peekeaton 1 year, 9 months ago

KD - I didn't use exclamation points/marks. If you are referring to my "..." between sentences, its just my way of switching thoughts - no additional meaning intended

Alex Peekeaton 1 year, 9 months ago

Young's decision has no effect on either Wiggins (#3 starting spot) or Randle (#4 starting spot)...Young has recently said he didn't mind playing a reserve role if they all sign...

"He has repeatedly said that he would not mind playing with other top players like the Harrisons or Andrew Wiggins, even if it meant taking on a sixth man role on a loaded Kentucky roster."

Jack Wilson 1 year, 9 months ago

Our sights now need to be firmly on trying to secure commits for the early signing period from Gordon, Roberson and Selden, two of the three.

If Randle is available in the spring, and "reincarnates" into a Self believer, I am quite sure that Self will make sure that a scholarship is available.

We definitely want Young to choose Syracuse, to give us the Selden assist that konkey referred to, since we have a much better chance with Selden than Randle. But, of course, that means he'll choose Kentucky ....

Tony Bandle 1 year, 9 months ago

Question of the Day:

Would you rather have a head coach that cheats, will always get away with it and is in the Final Four every year knowing that all other coaches cheat or a head coach who plays it straight despite knowing all other coaches cheating, runs a clean program and get to the Final Four every five or six years?

{Any similarity to real persons, places or things is purely coincidental]

Maybe not such a clear cut answer for some....just curious.

Tony Bandle 1 year, 9 months ago

PS I have to look at myself in the mirror each morning....once every six years will have to do.

bradynsdad 1 year, 9 months ago

How fast will fans sell their souls for another national title? They would defend self if he were cheating and bringing in the top recruiting classes but burn him at the stake the second the NCAA investigation came along. Imagine a world with no espn or rivals ranking system. Would that change anyone's opinions of how good or bad a coach self is? Bottom line is I will take our class act Bill Self any day of the week over a corrupt program. Keep fighting the good fight Oak!

bennybob 1 year, 9 months ago

Very interesting to listen too. Seems like Self went 50/50 speaking to some of my viewpoints and speaking to some of yours.

Like always, the truth is probably somewhere in the middle.

Benjamin Piehler 1 year, 9 months ago

Off topic, but are kids really picking schools based on their Nike/Adidas affiliation?

bennybob 1 year, 9 months ago

Too clarify, i really only think its the deciding factor for the top guys (top 10, maybe top 15)

these are the kids that the shoe companies have already identified as locks to be NBA players from one day. for those kids, the arms race between the shoe companies starts very early.

Of course, alot happens between freshman year of high school and college. I've seen a couple kids that were pegged as "eventual NBAers" have shoe companies start to completely ignore them a few years later when it became apparent they were sure thing pros.

for the kids that get identified early and remain future pros all the way through highschool, I would wager everything i have that they've had corporate sponsor representatives in their ears for years selling them on the virtues of playing for a college also sponsored by their company

for the rest of any given recruiting class (ranked 20-25 or lower) the shoe company allegiance is a factor, but not nearly as much.

Jack Wilson 1 year, 9 months ago

I would say this .. if that is true,which the evidence seems pretty good that it's a significant factor, then coach Self has made his own bed. I am quite sure that he makes that decision for the entire university. If he wanted to go with Nike, we'd be with Nike.

Jack Wilson 1 year, 9 months ago

I think Self is the final and deciding vote. Certainly, at the very least, he could say "I'm not signing an extension" or "I think I'll look at the Mavericks' job" if he really didn't want adidas.

It's reasonable to assume Self has what he wants, and could change it he wanted to (when a shoe contract expired).

I don't know how long ours extends .. wonder if it's a public record?

texashawk10 1 year, 9 months ago

Here's the article. http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Daily/Issues/2005/04/Issue-147/Sponsorships-Advertising-Marketing/Kansas-Adidas-Deal-Worth-Five-Times-Annual-Take-From-Nike.aspx

I've seen reports that KU is negotiating to go back to Nike and I've also seen reports that Adidas is willing pay substantially more than Nike to keep outfitting KU's teams. I haven't read anything to support either of these claims, but I know KU is negotiating right now since the current Adidas contract is up at the end of June. An Adidas contract will always be worth more money because they will outfit all of KU's sports teams and Nike will not outfit all of the teams.

texashawk10 1 year, 9 months ago

It's definitely a factor, but it's debatable just how big a factor it truly is.

bennybob 1 year, 9 months ago

I think it does matter alot, and the coaching staff knows it. but is one of those topics you just don't talk about to the media.

We'll see just how much it matters after the current contract expires at the end of the year. A move back to Nike, escpecially if its for less money, would be a huge signal that the shoe companies are running the show.

ku1otaku 1 year, 9 months ago

I don't know if they are necessarily picking based on the affliation...but they are definitely being funneled that way.

Tony Bandle 1 year, 9 months ago

Gee...and I thought it was for the best education...snicker, snicker!!

actorman 1 year, 9 months ago

I believe you mean sneaker, sneaker!!

Scott Smetana 1 year, 9 months ago

We never need to play those classless losers if it's our choice. That would only bring $ and attention to their pathetic, 0 final four program. Let Paige arena sit half empty. Let them be the cellar dwellers in football.

How many times have they even made the tourney in the past 20 years? I'm betting less than 10.

Scott Smetana 1 year, 9 months ago

I just looked, they made the NCAA tourney just 5 times in the past 15 years! hahahaha!

ltownatrain 1 year, 9 months ago

The only way I see KU vs Misery in the tourney is either if misery really stinks one year or if it is in the Final Four....which means that misery has to make at least 1 final four first.

As for the SEC possibility I would have a hard time believing that the conference powers that be would rather see KU vs. Misery (with it's skewed all time record) over traditional powers KU vs. UK. I mean lets be honest here KU vs. UK would make far more money for both the Big 12 and SEC than KU vs. Misery. It has usually been the case that when conferences have crossover partnerships that the powerhouses play each other ala North Carolina vs. Mich St. etc....

Foster Coburn 1 year, 9 months ago

The two best matchups would be KU vs. Kentucky and KSU vs Mizzou if there is a Big XII vs SEC series.

rockchalk_dpu 1 year, 9 months ago

True, we are likely going to be slotted against the better teams in the SEC so that like teams play each other and it is more balanced. Where I see a problem with this though is that Cal recently blew up the UK-IU rivalry because he didn't want to play the away games in Assembly Hall, opting for a neutral site dome to give his kids tourney experience. I'd be worried he would throw a tantrum again at being forced to go to AFH and we'd never get them on our court (but of course would travel there).

bradynsdad 1 year, 9 months ago

Seriously if there were no ESPN 100 or Rivals ranking system what would be said about Self and his recruiting? Nothing. Time and time again there have been I ranked kids dominate ranked kids, as well as OAD's who have failed miserably in the NBA while undrafted guys have became great. In my opinion Self doesn't get paid enough for the job he does.

bradynsdad 1 year, 9 months ago

Unranked kids dominate ranked kids...sorry.

yates33333 1 year, 9 months ago

Talk about understatements.

Inre. Withey. "I really think he’s pretty good. I watched him today,” Self said. “He can block and alter about as well as anybody."

Withey is more than really good, as a shot blocker he's great. This year he will be a scorer as well.

Alohahawk 1 year, 9 months ago

I can't remember how his statement ended, but I do remember reading a quote by Tarc saying "I fell in love with...." Which, to me, seemed like he was talking about an opposite sex attraction. Maybe he did mean any of the other factors - weather,other players, Etc. I just thought it seemed an odd way of stating U of A's effect on him during his official visit. Obviously, something dramatic/important altered his view during his visit to Arizona for him to choose UA over KU in such a sudden fashion.

notjustbread 1 year, 9 months ago

Bring on MIzzou...winner takes all the TV money...the losing school gets ZERO. Ticket sale money is ditributed by a proportion of the final score. KU gets 70% of the points on the scoreboard..we get 70% of the money. now that would be a fun game to watch us run the score up in. KU 90 - MU 45

Jack Wilson 1 year, 9 months ago

Had read James Young's comments .. here's a cut and paste:

Coveted 6-foot-6 swingman James Young (Rochester, Mich./Rochester High) will announce his college decision on Thursday, according to a tweet this morning by Paul Biancardi of ESPN's Recruiting Nation.

Young, ESPN's No. 5 overall recruit and No. 2 shooting guard in the class of 2013, will choose between Kentucky, Kansas, Michigan State and Syracuse and the decision will be aired live on on ESPNU.

"I'm just looking for my best college, the one that's going to get me one-and-done and give me the best opportunity to get out there," Young told SNY.tv recently.

One school appears to be the clear front-runner here, and it's probably not a shock which school that it. Evan Daniels of Scout.com tweets: "... As of today, if it's not Kentucky, I'll be shocked."

FarSideHawk 1 year, 9 months ago

Looking for one-and-done; both eyes on the league already.

Don't want him; he won't fit in the Self system with that mindset. Will fit in nicely with Calipari though.

jaybate 1 year, 9 months ago

A B12/SEC Challenge tourney, as a trial cooperative venture between the conferences, will also have to wait for the dust to settle after the election.

A trial cooperative venture makes a lot of political economic sense, if the Romney were elected, but not necessarily if Obama were elected.

Romney would help enable extention of the Northeast Spur of the Super Corridor because of his energy backers, if elected.

In a Romney era, enough pork could be spread around the SEC to make the SEC states support not only the Super Corridor spur up the Ohio Valley, but also a Super Corridor lateral from old Kelly AFB in Texas to Florida, which would link up with the pipeline to the LNG terminal in Grand Bahamas.

In such a climate, an alliance, or a merger of the SEC and the B12 could become very feasible.

If on the other hand Obama were re-elected, then the Obama Administration would spread pork in the SEC states in exchange for not participating in the Super Corridor. Obama's base is in Big Ten country. Obama's alternative to the Super Corridor expansion will probably be a dry canal from Chicago to the Mississippi River on the one hand, and possibly a dry canal from Lake Erie to NYC.

The fight for 21st Century control of distribution of import/export is shaping up as a stunning, polarizing battle, that might only be transformed to unity by a big, menacing war, in which the Federal gubmint trumps both axes of private oligarchy now struggling for control, by overlaying a massive national logistics infrastructure to fight the war.

The B12-SEC Challenge tourney is a little bubble on this sea change in infrastructure control. It is the kind of event that gets green lighted if the SEC states and B12 states become infrastructure allies, not if not.

An interesting historical footnote to all of this is that the southern/midwestern strategy that has been built in the red state regime of the modern Republican Party, and which would form the backbone of building a political alliance among the SEC states and Big 12 states, basically recycles a similar political spatial strategy pioneered by farmer reform movements of the late 19th century that then gave birth to the Populist Party. The Populist Party was largely a fusion of the southern farmers alliance that stretched from Georgia to Texas and the Oklahoma-Kansas small town shop keepers and farmers alliance folks. The Populist Party was effectively destroyed by driving the wedge issue of race through the heart of this southern and midwestern Populist fusion party.

jaybate 1 year, 9 months ago

Of course, times are quite different now. Now southern red states and midwestern red states are united by net-federal subsidization (i.e., red states for the most part receive more Federal monies than they pay in taxes). And these red states achieve this net Federal subsidy by joining the Republican party which acquires these subsidies for the red state through the agri-energy oligarchy pursuing its agenda largely through the red states. Today the potential wedge issue that could threaten the red state alliance of the SEC states and Big 12 states is not race, but rather energy and infrastructure. The Big 12 states are thriving on energy production and energy distribution. The south is not. Next, the Big 12 states are bound together by the Super Corridor, and the SEC states are bound to the Mississippi River System, The TVA, the Tennessee Tom Bigby. Both SEC and B12 state rely on the Interstates and rails, so that's a wash. But the Super Corridor is a significant threat to the cargo business on the other Southern distribution infrastructures mentioned.

If the Democrats and Obama figure out how to drive the wedge issues mentioned through the red states, they can break the alliance.

If the Republicans and Romney figure out how to integrate the infrastructures of the red state coalition of the SEC states and the Big 12 states, they can cement the alliance for the rest of the century.

And the SEC and Big 12 can either merge, or just have really festive pre conference tournaments. :-)

Remember, schools like Texas, Oklahoma, Texas A&M, and Missouri have made realignement choices NOT on optimizing football TV revenues.

Football TV revenues are a driver distinctly subordinate to political economic issues.

And political economic issues require election results to clarify and let participants choose what is best for their states and their vast nfrastructure and their tiny little athletic departments.

Rock Chalk!

Martin Rosenblum 1 year, 9 months ago

Truth is, it's really all about BBQ! Forget all of that stuff about waterway borders, etc. Southern vs. Midwestern BBQ will always be a more heated debate. C'mon Jaybate, get it straight man!