Wednesday, October 10, 2012

KU, Georgetown working on home-and-home series in men’s basketball

Kansas and Georgetown are negotiating to play a home-and-home series in men’s basketball starting in the 2013-14 season.

KU officials indicated that no contract has yet been signed, but the teams have indeed discussed playing next season in Allen Fieldhouse and in the 2014-15 season at Verizon Center in Washington, D.C. Casualhoya.com, which covers Georgetown, reported news of the series on Wednesday. It's believed the series will be finalized once the dates of the games are agreed upon.

Comments

COHawk10 1 year, 6 months ago

When I lived in DC, I used to watch KU games in Georgetown at a bar called Ramparts where the alumni association meets up. Good stuff.

DCSven 1 year, 6 months ago

Make it happen! The DC Jayhawks could sellout Verizon Center -- it will be like it's our home game!

bennybob 1 year, 6 months ago

Lots of posts above talking about the necessity of stacking the difficulty of the non conference schedule.

Those sure thing games that KU wins by 50 are scheduled for a reason. Those are the games that Self uses to experiment with different combinations of 5. they're intentionally scheduled early because after the staff has a good feel for the team dynamics then they can start playing legitimate competition and work on actual X and O strategy rather than the personnel game.

The Maui invitational/Ohio State was scheduled for lat year under the assumption that the Morrii would be coming back. In that scenario the staff would already know what type of team it has and wouldn't have needed many "practice" games to figure it out.

Looking back, it was quite impressive to do as well as the team did in Maui last year given the huge roster turnover.

jayhawker97 1 year, 6 months ago

i don't know if it's because of mr. Ewing image, but i always see the Hoyas as a bunch of physical big men. i have respect for them. they play tough & rough and that's definitely good for our guys. it should be fun to watch Withey et al play hard ball.

Ralster Jayhawk 1 year, 6 months ago

Bottom line: You want a shoe deal, get yourself into the NBA as a lotto level pick. Go to the school that gives your game the best chance to take it to lotto-level.

Ralster Jayhawk 1 year, 6 months ago

Self's system of ball trumps Georgetown's. Look for some nice battles and well-deserved W's for your Jayhawks as they bring down the 'Hoyas. Best thing about this is the exposure to East Coast kids and recruiting. I'm not much for shoe theories, as you can boil it down to 1 thing for a top15 recruit: You want to play in these shoes, or do you want to put up stats and get to the next level with strength, execution, conditioning? IF they are a lotto level NBA pick, they are then a "hot commodity" from a business standpoint: then enter the shoe marketing. Case in point: DRose. Played for Adidas Calipari at Memphis. Now has own shoe/shoe-line (AdiRose, etc). Heat are Adidas "team", but Wade and LBJ have own "shoe" deals. Here is the kicker: NO shoe company is interested in a OAD who is a flameout. One can suggest Selby didnt meet expectations, but that is not Self's fault. Nor KU's fault. Selby has chosen to take that bullshiz by the horns, and earned his pre-season MVP award. His story is still being written, so anyone spinning Selby's KU experience against Self, now has less to say, dont they? Y'all can thank Josh Selby for that. (personally, as a selfish ku fan, I think he could have made a difference vs. KY, but that is boat is long gone...next.)

jaybate 1 year, 6 months ago

John Thompson 2.0 joins the "right way" vanguard.

The right way movement holds on!

KanKu 1 year, 6 months ago

I'm stoked that KU is scheduling tougher and my hope is that it continues. This past years difficult schedule showed that the early losses don't matter quite as much and really toughen less experienced teams. IMO, besides Taylor, KU's team was lacking a lot of "on court" time with meaningful minutes, so the tough schedule proved invaluable.

My worry with Self's tourney early exit teams is that they didn't play as difficult of schedules. While the Big 12 always proved formidable, it was almost like the switch turned back off once the NCAA tourney started. Yeah, it was great they only had 2 to 3 losses heading into the tourney.....but I think most KU fans would've taken a 4-5 loss team, that headed into the tourney with a bit more edge.

DCLawHawk 1 year, 6 months ago

This is fantastic news! The Jayhawks need to be playing games in and around DC. There is such a huge talent pool here, and our recruiting would surely benefit. That said, why not a home and home with Maryland under Coach Turgeon? For folks who don't know, the University of Maryland, College Park is in the DC metropolitan area. In fact, it is a subway stop on the Metro. If KU plays Georgetown at the Verizon Center, I will be there. And I will be there when they play WVU in Morgantown. But I'd love even more to see them play the Terrapins in College Park. Besides, that one would be a rematch of the National Championship game. There's more history with Maryland than with Georgetown. And, of course, Coach Turgeon is a Jayhawk. So hats off to the AD for scheduling Georgetown (if it happens), but let's work on Maryland too!

milwaukeeJAYHAWK 1 year, 6 months ago

I lived in DC for three years after finishing up at KU. Watched the '08 title game at the KU bar there with over 200 fellow 'Hawks.

You can bet I'll fly out for that one, even though I live in Johnson County now! DC is just a great city to visit anyways, I'd suggest more 'Hawks think about going. You could do Smithsonian, White House, Lincoln Memorial...etc...etc....and watch KU beat down the Hoyas! Sounds like a great trip!

Jayhawk470 1 year, 6 months ago

Good move. Despite both teams being national powers, they have met only twice. We need to play more often.

JayDocMD 1 year, 6 months ago

FYI: James Young to announce Thursday. Sounds like its another pick-up for UK. And by pick-up I mean another season of pick-up/AAU ball with the latest batch of OADers sponsored by WWW.

BTW, would somebody please fix the NBA CBA ASAP. THX

Adam James 1 year, 6 months ago

This is great to hear regarding Georgetown and the East Coast. On another note, now that we no longer have the Pac 12/Big 12 Hardcourt games, we need KU to schedule some games on the West Coast to stay in touch with those recruits. UCLA, Cal, San Diego State, Arizona, USC etc...I know we don't leave the Fieldhouse much in the preseason, but it would be worth it to play on the road early. I never feel like I have a good handle on how the Jayhawks will do until they get on the road. Our schedule is loaded with home games and neutral sites early in the season.

Kyle Sybesma 1 year, 6 months ago

This is a great opportunity for recruiting on the East Coast. I'd like to see more games scheduled out there.

texashawk10 1 year, 6 months ago

JT3 always has tough teams and that game out in Maui last year was a helluva game. I love this matchup and I would really love to see in early January right before conference starts.

RokChokRob 1 year, 6 months ago

I am sitting in my office, overlooking the Verizon Ctr just down the street here in DC. Awesome (and finally)!

GeoHawk15 1 year, 6 months ago

Saw them play in Maui last year. The Hoyas also emphasize tough defense, so this would be great experience early in the season.

Tony Bandle 1 year, 6 months ago

I say, the more tough opponents on the preseason schedule, the better. If Kansas could schedule at least 7 maybe 8 legitimate opponents, it would do wonders for us in March...screw the rankings!!!