Wednesday, October 10, 2012

KU, Georgetown working on home-and-home series in men’s basketball

Kansas and Georgetown are negotiating to play a home-and-home series in men’s basketball starting in the 2013-14 season.

KU officials indicated that no contract has yet been signed, but the teams have indeed discussed playing next season in Allen Fieldhouse and in the 2014-15 season at Verizon Center in Washington, D.C. Casualhoya.com, which covers Georgetown, reported news of the series on Wednesday. It's believed the series will be finalized once the dates of the games are agreed upon.

Comments

Tony Bandle 2 years, 2 months ago

I say, the more tough opponents on the preseason schedule, the better. If Kansas could schedule at least 7 maybe 8 legitimate opponents, it would do wonders for us in March...screw the rankings!!!

HawkKlaw 2 years, 2 months ago

Yep, just like last year showed us, being tested early and often is the best way to make a deep run come March.

nuleafjhawk 2 years, 2 months ago

Exactly. It does us NO good to beat up on The Oklahoma City School of Horseshoeing in October and November.

I loved last years schedule and hope we keep doing that in the future.

Michael Auchard 2 years, 2 months ago

Dude, OKCSH is bringing back a lot of talent this year.

nuleafjhawk 2 years, 2 months ago

Yahweh (I say that on bended knee),

I should have been more specific - that's OKCSH-SC (South Campus)

Mark Wooden 2 years, 2 months ago

We need to start playing Fraternal Aid. KU is 0-1 lifetime against them. :)

GeoHawk15 2 years, 2 months ago

Saw them play in Maui last year. The Hoyas also emphasize tough defense, so this would be great experience early in the season.

RokChokRob 2 years, 2 months ago

I am sitting in my office, overlooking the Verizon Ctr just down the street here in DC. Awesome (and finally)!

texashawk10 2 years, 2 months ago

JT3 always has tough teams and that game out in Maui last year was a helluva game. I love this matchup and I would really love to see in early January right before conference starts.

Kyle Sybesma 2 years, 2 months ago

This is a great opportunity for recruiting on the East Coast. I'd like to see more games scheduled out there.

Adam James 2 years, 2 months ago

This is great to hear regarding Georgetown and the East Coast. On another note, now that we no longer have the Pac 12/Big 12 Hardcourt games, we need KU to schedule some games on the West Coast to stay in touch with those recruits. UCLA, Cal, San Diego State, Arizona, USC etc...I know we don't leave the Fieldhouse much in the preseason, but it would be worth it to play on the road early. I never feel like I have a good handle on how the Jayhawks will do until they get on the road. Our schedule is loaded with home games and neutral sites early in the season.

Vernon Riggs 2 years, 2 months ago

SEC is looking for a Hardwood partner. We could end up playing the good teams in SEC like UK, Florida, Vandy, 'Bama every year too. It would be fun to beat Frank Martin at SC.

Curtis Stutz 2 years, 2 months ago

Yep, a home and home with UCLA would be fantastic. G'town is a nice pickup, need something that's expected to go on for decades though.

JayDocMD 2 years, 2 months ago

FYI: James Young to announce Thursday. Sounds like its another pick-up for UK. And by pick-up I mean another season of pick-up/AAU ball with the latest batch of OADers sponsored by WWW.

BTW, would somebody please fix the NBA CBA ASAP. THX

milwaukeeJAYHAWK 2 years, 2 months ago

I lived in DC for three years after finishing up at KU. Watched the '08 title game at the KU bar there with over 200 fellow 'Hawks.

You can bet I'll fly out for that one, even though I live in Johnson County now! DC is just a great city to visit anyways, I'd suggest more 'Hawks think about going. You could do Smithsonian, White House, Lincoln Memorial...etc...etc....and watch KU beat down the Hoyas! Sounds like a great trip!

DCLawHawk 2 years, 2 months ago

This is fantastic news! The Jayhawks need to be playing games in and around DC. There is such a huge talent pool here, and our recruiting would surely benefit. That said, why not a home and home with Maryland under Coach Turgeon? For folks who don't know, the University of Maryland, College Park is in the DC metropolitan area. In fact, it is a subway stop on the Metro. If KU plays Georgetown at the Verizon Center, I will be there. And I will be there when they play WVU in Morgantown. But I'd love even more to see them play the Terrapins in College Park. Besides, that one would be a rematch of the National Championship game. There's more history with Maryland than with Georgetown. And, of course, Coach Turgeon is a Jayhawk. So hats off to the AD for scheduling Georgetown (if it happens), but let's work on Maryland too!

actorman 2 years, 2 months ago

Great idea, DCLawHawk.

One quibble: It would be a rematch of the 2002 Final Four game, not the championship game.

KanKu 2 years, 2 months ago

I'm stoked that KU is scheduling tougher and my hope is that it continues. This past years difficult schedule showed that the early losses don't matter quite as much and really toughen less experienced teams. IMO, besides Taylor, KU's team was lacking a lot of "on court" time with meaningful minutes, so the tough schedule proved invaluable.

My worry with Self's tourney early exit teams is that they didn't play as difficult of schedules. While the Big 12 always proved formidable, it was almost like the switch turned back off once the NCAA tourney started. Yeah, it was great they only had 2 to 3 losses heading into the tourney.....but I think most KU fans would've taken a 4-5 loss team, that headed into the tourney with a bit more edge.

jaybate 2 years, 2 months ago

John Thompson 2.0 joins the "right way" vanguard.

The right way movement holds on!

DCLawHawk 2 years, 2 months ago

I see jaybate has started the rotors on the black helicopters again.

jayhawker97 2 years, 2 months ago

i don't know if it's because of mr. Ewing image, but i always see the Hoyas as a bunch of physical big men. i have respect for them. they play tough & rough and that's definitely good for our guys. it should be fun to watch Withey et al play hard ball.

Curtis Stutz 2 years, 2 months ago

Or Dikembe or Alonzo or Hibbert, but the brute in the paint for Georgetown that stands out to me the most was Mike Sweetney. Coach Thompson was right, that kid took a pounding on the court and the refs never called it even for him. That guy was tough.

bennybob 2 years, 2 months ago

Lots of posts above talking about the necessity of stacking the difficulty of the non conference schedule.

Those sure thing games that KU wins by 50 are scheduled for a reason. Those are the games that Self uses to experiment with different combinations of 5. they're intentionally scheduled early because after the staff has a good feel for the team dynamics then they can start playing legitimate competition and work on actual X and O strategy rather than the personnel game.

The Maui invitational/Ohio State was scheduled for lat year under the assumption that the Morrii would be coming back. In that scenario the staff would already know what type of team it has and wouldn't have needed many "practice" games to figure it out.

Looking back, it was quite impressive to do as well as the team did in Maui last year given the huge roster turnover.

DCSven 2 years, 2 months ago

Make it happen! The DC Jayhawks could sellout Verizon Center -- it will be like it's our home game!

COHawk10 2 years, 2 months ago

When I lived in DC, I used to watch KU games in Georgetown at a bar called Ramparts where the alumni association meets up. Good stuff.