Sunday, October 7, 2012

Charlie Weis, KU football get back to work

Kansas running back Tony Pierson is yanked down by the collar by Kansas State defensive end Adam Davis during the first quarter on Saturday, Oct. 6, 2012 at Bill Snyder Family Stadium in Manhattan.

photo

Kansas University football coach Charlie Weis claims he’s just like everybody else. He feels better after wins than he does after losses.

That’s why, following Saturday’s 56-16 stinker in Manhattan, Weis hunkered down in his office at the Anderson Family Football Complex and did not leave for six hours.

“The worse it is, the harder I work,” Weis said.

KU’s first-year head coach spent the majority of that time between 5 and 11 p.m. Saturday reliving the loss that dropped his Jayhawks to 1-4 overall and 0-2 in Big 12 play. He watched the game film two times through, each time breaking it down into offensive clips, defensive clips and special-teams clips.

“Normally, I wait ’til Sunday morning to do that,” Weis said. “But I didn’t want to wait ’til Sunday morning because I wanted to see, in detail, what happened.”

What he saw was not much different than he expected — too many mistakes on offense, too many breakdowns on defense and too much talent on the other sideline.

During Saturday’s postgame meeting with the media, Weis told reporters that the status quo would not be accepted. Sunday, he proved that was not just lip service by the way he ran practice. Instead of going through the normal load of film and field work, Weis watched the game tape with the entire team and then switched things up.

“I took everyone that’s gonna be on the team next year, and they practiced,” Weis said. “And anyone that’s not gonna be on the team next year, they ran and lifted.”

Weis told his team exactly what he was doing and why he was doing it, and it was development, not punishment, that he sought with the change of pace.

“You have to do two things here,” he said. “You have to develop your current squad, but you also have to develop your future squad. If you practice everyone who played all the reps in the game (Saturday), then you’re never developing anyone else.”

Included in that idea of dual development is the concept of how to handle the players who are eligible to red-shirt this season. Normally, Weis and his coaches have a pretty good handle on how that will play out after a just few games. But with the way things have gone so far, he ruled nothing out.

“We talk on a weekly basis,” Weis said. “It’s Week 5, but if we believe that Player X can help us for seven games, seven games is a lot of games now. So it’s still not too late to go ahead and get that player into the mix.”

Weis said he would make certain a player did not burn a year for what could be deemed “insignificant playing time.”

As for the overall rebuilding race, Weis said the Jayhawks had cleared the first hurdle of being in each game at halftime.

“Now we have to come up with a better way to get through the last 30 minutes,” he said. “It’d be easy for me to just say, ‘The players gotta do this, and the players gotta do that,’ but because the players haven’t done it now for multiple years, we, as a coaching staff, have to guide ’em through that, and that’s what I’ll continue to do until I get this thing figured out.”

Pierson just fine

There was some good news for the Jayhawks this weekend. Weis learned Sunday that sophomore tailback Tony Pierson was not expected to miss any time because of an injured elbow that kept him out of the final three quarters Saturday.

“The X-ray was negative,” Weis said. “Now, he had a sore elbow, but the way they were talking to me, I thought for sure we were talking an extended period of time. He actually went out there and practiced some (Sunday). That was a pleasant surprise.”

Through five games, Pierson leads KU in rushing (319 yards on 59 carries) and ranks second on the team with 198 receiving yards on 15 receptions. He also has scored three touchdowns.

Comments

741hawk 2 years, 1 month ago

The coaching staff has excellent resumes and significant experience in this game of football. We didn't recruit much following Mangino's firing. Gill was not the recruiter most people thought he would be. This year's opponents have revealed the lack of comparative athleticism on this Jayhawk squad. And, we need a kicking game.

Solution: Believe in the progress we see this staff making and give them time to recruit. As painful as that is, the reality is that it will take alot of time to get to the level of even the middle-of-the conference foes in this tough conference. (Note: One positive is that the kicking game can be solved in one season!)

Hang in there. Support the players' efforts as long as they don't quit. Rock Chalk.

Dirk Medema 2 years, 1 month ago

Gill got plenty in the limited time he was here, but a bunch of that top talent also left in between the regimes as well as during the previous switch. We're moving in the right direction.

johnnyhrdwd 2 years, 1 month ago

How about getting Ford on the field other than special teams, Weis may need 3 years to clean up the mess.

Doug Cramer 2 years, 1 month ago

741hawk - one problem...currently our 2013 recruiting class ranks dead last in the Big 12. So we can wait for Weis to get his recruits in...but I'm starting to wonder if he can really bring in some talent.

Dirk Medema 2 years, 1 month ago

Actually, rivals (http://footballrecruiting.rivals.com/) has us ranked head of Kstate, and though we're behind ISU, that has as much to do with having half as many commits.

741hawk 2 years, 1 month ago

Recruiting will make or break the success of any coach. Charlie's success depends on his recruiting success.

BringBackMark 2 years, 1 month ago

Heard an interesting statistic the other day regarding the two starting QB's in last Saturday's game.... Both were in the same recruiting class, one ranked no. 3 in the country and the other ranked 116th in the country. Any idea which was which?

I put no stock in recruiting class rankings. Snyder has always had lower ranked classes than the elite teams. Having the ability to evaluate talent and develop players will ultimately turn the program around. We'll never rank ahead of Texas or Oklahoma schools in recruiting. Where does that leave us in the best recruiting year?

Jason Keller 2 years, 1 month ago

I'm not just picking on you BringBackMark but none of you have any idea what you are talking about when it comes to recruiting. Bill Snyder recruits elite juco players and they aren't included in the recruiting class rankings. Some of the more prestigous programs like OU or Texas think they are above juco guys because a lot of the kids from there have checkered pasts or academic problems. Pound for pound Snyder is getting some of the best guys in the nation. The major difference is he only has them for two years...

The good news is that CW is doing the same thing. All you guys that think we don't have any recruits coming in, go check out some of the juco guys we have committed.

Doug Cramer 2 years, 1 month ago

Kelllerman - how are these juco guys doing for us this season ?

Patrick Leiker 2 years, 1 month ago

Tavai and Stowers have been good for us on the DLine. Cox has been great at RB. Sterling hasn't been great, but good enough to come in and start after only a few weeks on the team. To bad McKinney didn't make it.

Sam Brockert 2 years, 1 month ago

Yup, a half dozen of JUCO guys are suppose to make us 3-2 right? IS that what you are saying? What he is saying is that Snyder's teams are loaded with JUCO guys, KU has what like 6 or 7 new JUCO players? PEopl also forget, Snyder only won one game in his first year too.

BringBackMark 2 years, 1 month ago

Kellerman, I wish I could share your enthusiasm about juco players. I've seen several attempts at KU over the years, going back to Pepper Rogers after he lost the '68 Orange Bowl team, to rebuild with juco's. We've had several good ones, e.g., Mike Norseth, Maumalanga, etc. We've had way more disappointments.

Part of what I didn't say above is that a recruits ranking is in large part based on the school's that are recruiting him. Anyone Texas recruits is automatically a 4 or 5 star recruit. It appears that Mack Brown does an average or below job of developing many of those players.

As for Snyder, yes he's hit some home runs with juco's but look at the number of 2 star Kansas kids that nobody wanted that he turned into NFL talent. That's a) evaluating talent, and b) developing players.

Sam Brockert 2 years, 1 month ago

You forget that Aqib Talib was also a low star count. That wasn't because a lack of talent, more the fact that he had off the field issues. There are a lot of recruits out there like that.

HawkTronic 2 years, 1 month ago

Maumalanga was a HS player - SoCal. Wittemore was a solid juco QB. Thorsen did OK as a transfer. There are some bright spots. True, a large percentage of KUs list of transfers have been failures, but the risk of carrying a player for 18 months vs 5 years often justifies the gamble. CW has big, inherited holes in talent and intensity. 80% of HS signees never significantly contribute to the team. If there is even a 10% chance of an immediate impact by a transfer, bring him .

johnnyhrdwd 2 years, 1 month ago

Hubert, Brown, and Klein are their best players, they recruit corners from juco everybody else is a developed athlete.

squawkhawk 2 years, 1 month ago

Funny how you leave KSU out of the elite of the Big 12 but you included Texas. As I recall, KSU has beat Texas something like four or 5 year in a row. A great coach isn't necessarily defined by the number of championships they have won. It is how well his teams play year in and year out. Snyder always has competitive teams and he does so with less pure talent than most of you realize. This is what makes him a great coach and a reason why he has been a national coach of the year so many times. KSU does more with less talent and less resources than most of the other Big 12 schools. If they can do this at lowly KSU, then why can't we do this at KU? Ponder this one if you will.

ChiJayhawk 2 years, 1 month ago

Don't forget CC players. They do not count toward your rankings but can be significant pick ups.

HawkDigestCom 2 years, 1 month ago

Cummins should get a series or two each game from here on out. Not as a vote of non-confidence for Crist, but in the spirit of preparing for next year.

jhox 2 years, 1 month ago

I wonder, in relation to the redshirt comments, if Weis is considering taking the redshirt off Turner Baty? I've thought it odd they would redshirt him when we're going to have Heaps for the next two years. Maybe we should redshirt him next year instead?

It's clear with our O line that a more mobile guy might be the way to go. We have good run blockers but as far as pass blockers, not so much.

I wouldn't be surprised to see significant changes made next week. I think from Weis' comments things will be shaken up a lot.

texashawk10 2 years, 1 month ago

Baty is a true sophomore this year. If Weis doesn't pull his redshirt at some point this season, then Baty will be a RS senior in 2015 along with Cummings which will be a year after Jake Heaps is gone. That's why you redshirt Baty so that he and Cummings can battle for the starting job that year and have some competition. Here's what the QB situation is likely to look like in the next few years. Jake Heaps starts in 2013 and 2014, Baty and Cummings battle for the starting job as seniors in 2015, Jordan Darling and Montell Cozart battle for the job for the next two years as RS juniors in 2016 and 2017. As of right now, KU appears to be set at QB through the 2017 season.

jhox 2 years, 1 month ago

But you could red shirt Baty next year. Why must it be this year when Crist is struggling? If you really believe in Heaps (from what I've seen, I certainly do) then you need to use Baty now if you think he's a better choice than Cummings.

Jason Keller 2 years, 1 month ago

Its like a bad record that just gets played over and over again. People say KU has the worst recruiting class in the Big 12. Go look at the juco players committed... They aren't given a ranking and aren't included in the class rankings. We have a DE committed who is the type of defensive lineman KU has never seen before, out of the state of Mississippi no less. We also have a committment from a LB who had offers from half the big 12 but says he wants to play for Dave Campo. If you want to talk highschool guys, look at the 2 corners we plucked out of Texas already...

Doug Cramer 2 years, 1 month ago

Keller - Again. Tavai and McKinney we're said to be NFL caliber and our D-line was fixed ? Heard that the ENTIRE off-Season.

We have got to get some 4 and 5 star talent in the trenches...that are freshman and will be in the program for a while.

Anyone that puts no merit into recruiting rankings is just plain rediculous. Yeah sometimes guys are over or under rated. Crist was obviously.

But look at the SEC...and you can't tell me recruiting rankings don't mean anything.

bville_hawk 2 years, 1 month ago

Table_Rock, The recruiting ratings are kind of self-fulfilling. An average unremarkable player will be automatically elevated to 4 stars if he is being recruited by Texas or Alabama. If a player is being recruited by the top schools the ratings outfits just assume the player must be at least a 3 star or 4 star recruit.

Because they are top programs their recruits are always going to rate more stars.

Sam Brockert 2 years, 1 month ago

I did not hear ANYONE say that the D-Line was fixed. I believe most people saw that it would be better this year, but not fixed.

NebraskaJayhawk 2 years, 1 month ago

Some harsh words, but a lot of truth in there as well.

jhox 2 years, 1 month ago

We do have Heaps and McCay eligible next year. That should help the offense a great deal. We already have good running backs. A couple of good juco linemen and it won't take much to fix the offense.

We need a bunch of good Juco defensive linemen who can be ready to step in and linebackers too.

Tony Bandle 2 years, 1 month ago

When I herard the score at halftime, 21-14, I felt like, thank God...guys, get on the bus back to Lawrence before the second half starts!!

What's depressing is we are constantly being televised because Kansas is this year's DRK [designated road kill] for all the ranked BIG 12 teams. One possible positive is that high school and juco players will see our team and figure, "heck, I can play there right away!!"

Doug Cramer 2 years, 1 month ago

Oakville - that's exactly what Weis said in his post game interview.

Terry N Tom Denner 2 years, 1 month ago

Really ?? Then why don't you take your happy fair weather fan attitude and try out for the team. You and the rest of the fair weather fans need to just show up and show some pride. Get on the bus and come home before the second half starts !! Your PATHETIC !!

Robert Brown 2 years, 1 month ago

Why don't you form your own blog in which only people can make positive comments about the team and live in your own delusional world? This is an open forum and there is no excuse for insults. There are more negatives about the football program than positives and the new coaching staff has not eliminated a lot of the negatives during the first five games of the season

Terry N Tom Denner 2 years, 1 month ago

The biggest negative I witnessed was the KU's Stadium had at least 3 to 4 thousand if not more empty seats during the TCU game. Give Charlie & his staff a chance. Rome was not built over night.

Terry N Tom Denner 2 years, 1 month ago

The biggest negative I saw was 3 or 4 thousand " if not more" empty seats during the TCU game. I show more positive with Charlie & his staff than most on here do. Rome was not built over night. The least the fans including the Student section can show up and stay the whole game instead of leaving a half time. Stick around and show some pride.

Terry N Tom Denner 2 years, 1 month ago

Sorry man. My Bad. Having a bad day and just showed off my backside. Have a good day.

Tony Bandle 2 years, 1 month ago

Hang on there, Crusty..sorry I didn't make it clear that was poking fun. Heck, a solid first half is more than I expected and shows improvement. It is a chicken and egg connundrum, however, as to which comes first, on the field results begetting fan loyalty or vice versa.

Terry N Tom Denner 2 years, 1 month ago

I too am sorry for all I said to you and oakvillehawk. Having a bad day and for sure I showed my back side . He is 100% right with the recruits coming in 2013 and having that chance to start asap next year. Sorry again for my stupidity and loose gums. My Bad.

Lucas Town 2 years, 1 month ago

I was very impressed with the first half and how the Hawks played. It was like Weis had put together a really good game plan and we competed with KSU for the entire first half. That to me was the best football I have seen us play as a team this year, and it made me think, alright we have something positive happening here. Hopefully in the next few games we can go for a full 4 quarters and look competitive to the end. We need help on D fast. When we could get KSU off the field our offense did fine. There was just a lot of pressure to score once we got behind. Looking forward to more improvement. RCJHGKU

leonard 2 years, 1 month ago

Over the course of our last 31 games...we've won 5 times. In the conference we've won just twice in the last 3+ years.

To be competitive on a conference or national level it takes a squad with 40-50 quality players...and that's not something that Weis can fix in the 10 months he's been here.

Is Chuck the man to get the job done? Time will tell...but it's way too early to assess a grade on his efforts.

Lucas Town 2 years, 1 month ago

Here is a novel concept. Give Weis his 5 years to see what he can do. We canned Gill after his second year, and countless other coaches get fired before their contracts run out. If we get rid of Weis before then our program will struggle longer than anyone will want to see. As long as we see improvement then I think we keep some stability in the program. I was excited with the energy our guys came out and played with on Saturday during the first half. I hope Weis in committed to KU and doesn't treat this job like a payroll service.

nuleafjhawk 2 years, 1 month ago

Fire him. Don't fire him.

History tells me that no matter who our coach is, we'll have a bunch of crappy seasons and then one or two fair-to-decent to good seasons and once in a blue moon we'll have a great player or two and a great season.

Like most of our fans, I was very pleased with most of the first half, but the one thing that bothers me most of all about CW is his TG-like lack of fire. I don't see him getting ticked at stupid plays, I don't see him enthused after good plays. All I've seen is him looking at his clipboard and jotting down notes.

I'm thinking his notes are along the lines of " hmmm......I'll make $9,068.12 from now until the next TV timeout.....".

Sorry to be so unenthusiastic, I think the coach is rubbing off on me.

Lucas Town 2 years, 1 month ago

Like Snyder shows any emotion what so ever. Weis knew this was going to be a difficult season. I was skeptical in the beginning, We beat South Dakota St, lost to Rice which was a head scratcher, competed with TCU, lost on the road to NIU and lost to KSU. But that first half to me gave me something to be optomistic about. If we can play some first halves like that the rest of the season and get more competitive, my being skeptical will start subsiding. But Weis can be so fly by night, I hope he is committed to making a true go at this.

nuleafjhawk 2 years, 1 month ago

jaykan7 - very good point about Snyder. Except he wins.

2005grad 2 years, 1 month ago

When there is a brain fart on the field... You better believe Snyder gets pissed... Go back to the 2010 KU-KSU game in Lawrence (59-7)... They had 12 guys on the field for a play, and even though they didn't get called for it, Snyder went over and CHEWED out his D. Coordinator for a couple minutes... Just because he is normally a level headed guy, doesn't mean he doesn't have a fire inside him...

nuleafjhawk 2 years, 1 month ago

It's not an outlandish statement. It's how I feel. I like a guy that shows some emotion on the sidelines.

Lucas Town 2 years, 1 month ago

I just said I hope he's not doing that about collecting the pay check. The one thing that worries me about that comment, “The worse it is, the harder I work,” from Weis is that, Is this program really in that bad of shape? I knew this season would be tough, but that makes it seem like this game showed something to Weis he didn't see before and he is looking for the panic button.

nuleafjhawk 2 years, 1 month ago

jaykan7 - I apologize that I am not very familiar with you. I just wanted to let you know that I rarely post things with much "substance" to them. (Sad, but true!) I try to highlight things that have me disgruntled or say things that I think are funny. (I'm made aware often that the things I find funny and the things others find funny are usually not the same!) Anyway - I guess I'm just trying to say not to pay heed ( unlike the Phog!! ) to some of the stupid things I say - they're usually just to get a laugh or a rise.

RCJH

vd 2 years, 1 month ago

Weiss loses and spends 6 hrs. in his office. Snyder wins and spends 16 hrs. in his office.

nuleafjhawk 2 years, 1 month ago

AtlJay, Dang it - do you always have to be the voice of reason that brings me back to reality ? lol

Honestly, this is about what I expected this year. There were several posters that predicted 3-6 wins. I was not one of them! I'd love to be optimistic, but I hang with realistic and am usually not so disappointed.

The outcome of this game - well - it pissed me off (can I say that? If not then, it upset me greatly). I agree with your assessment of the team and coaching staff - we are headed, ever so slowly, in the right direction. Sometimes I can be very impatient.

By the way, I was not insinuating that we should fire Weis (although " fire weis " sounds a lot like that huh?) - I was just saying that it doesn't seem to matter who's in charge, we just can't put together a consistently solid football team. I'm speaking from 45+ years of being a fan.

I think you're probably aware that much of what I post is for the comical and BS aspect of things, but in all sincerity I am very glad for posters like you who have knowledge and insight and patience.

squawkhawk 2 years, 1 month ago

If Weis is committed to KU then his family would be in Lawrence and not in Florida. And don't give me that crap about his daughter being in some special place that she really likes. There are plenty of great schools in the area that are probably just as nice. This is just an excuse and makes it easier for him to bolt after next year when things get really tough. I also don't see Grunny moving his family to Lawrence. Where is his commitment. Again. he's just testing the waters to see how things go and then make a decision later if it is really worth it or not.

Robert Brown 2 years, 1 month ago

Whether Weis was the right hire is now immaterial. Of course, he is going to give every chance to succeed as he should. The AD made the hire which some said wa risky and he knows that if Weis fails he fails. Weis does not have a good track record in either of his previous college positions and hasn't done anything in the first give games that he is making positive step.

While I agree that empty seats looks horrible on TV why stay if your team is being pounded. I sat though many NU games where we were out of by the beginning of the second quarter back in the 70s and opted to go to the Hawk or Wheel at halftime. I don't think my leaving affect the team's performance or makes me a bad fan.

hammerhawk 2 years, 1 month ago

Obviously, from looking at KU's own recent past, it only takes a few really good players to make really big difference in the Win-Loss ratio. I'm fairly confident CW can get us those players. I'm looking forward to being in the stands on Saturday because I think Charlie is going to make some significant changes. Go Hawks!

troutsee 2 years, 1 month ago

I agree with you entirely.

Our weakest links are still D, sp. teams, QB.

We definitely need to give this coaching staff time.

Robert Brown 2 years, 1 month ago

i'm guessing the current coaching staff will be able to recruit. The question is can they coach them up. Bringing in fifth year mercenaries has seriously backfired. By bringing in Crist and some other transfers Weis implied he would win this year meaning win the non conference games and a couple of conference games. Everything I read before the season made me believe this would happen but the performance and play calling on the field has been a disappointment.

hellohawks 2 years, 1 month ago

I think most of you are impatient like I would be. But, the reality is that you have to give any head coach, especially one at ku or ksu a minimum of 4yrs. to get things started to turn around in the right direction. Let coach weis get his recruits in from freshmen through seniors until any of you start jumping off a cliff. I graduated from ksu in 1995, am a die-hard fan, etc. But I root for ku in all of their games except when they play each other, cause it is a rival game. I would love to have this sunflower showdown be like it was in 1995 with both teams being ranked. That is what the state of kansas needs. My uncle, john stucky was an all-american nose guard for ksu from 1966-1970, and my step-dad, gary davenport was a stud linebacker for ku from 1966-1970. So, i root for both teams when they play other conf. opponents. I am sick of the entire football nation, especially the sec where i live bag on the big 12 and make fun of ksu and kus. It pisses me off to know end! Ku will turn it around, but the fans and administration have to give it time. Just like when snyder steps down, ksu fans and administration have to give the new coach time (unless its ron prince).

Tony Bandle 2 years, 1 month ago

When you start a building from the ground up, the first thing you do is test the soil for bearing capacity, even before you pour one ounce of concrete or lay one brick.

That is what Charlie is doing this season. He is testing capacities. He is not so much evaluating was he has...he is evaluating what he DOESN"T HAVE. Thus he can put together a recruiting strategy that will be best for the team in the future.

AznSnSaTioN 2 years, 1 month ago

Very well said OakvilleJHawk. Yes it sucks to see them losing week in and week out, but I do see some improvement from last year. I remember the GaTech game last year when one of their RB ran for a 90+ yard for a TD, a couple of our DB was running away from him instead of trying to catch him. This year's team is better coached. I didn't expect much from this year's team but after this year I want to see improvement each and every year.

vd 2 years, 1 month ago

Building a football program with 5th year seniors, is like building a house from the roof down.

danno1313 2 years, 1 month ago

How can this defense be this bad EVERY YEAR????????????????????????????????????? Pitiful!

Robert Brown 2 years, 1 month ago

Never understood brining in fifth seniors if you are trying to build something for the long term. The defense has been bad since 2007. These issues go back to Mangino. In 2008 and 2009, we had offensive talent that kept us competitive. We lost the skills offensive players when Mangino was let go and have not had a decent offense since. That is my biggest disappointment with Weis. He is viewed to be an offensive 'genius' and I expected the offense to be better. Of course, it is not his fault for the turnovers, but many people blamed Gill for turnovers last year. A bad hire can set a program back. I hope Weis is not a second consecutive bad hire.

The Big 12 is loaded and it is sad that we are orders of magnitude behind the worst teams. ESPN bowl projection this weak has all nine of the other teams in the conference going to a bowl.

Geekinout 2 years, 1 month ago

I'm not too worried about the recruiting capabilities of Weis and Campo. I am, however, more fearful of their play calling and game management skills. Weis, still hasn't proved he's out from under the shadows of Bill Belichick and the recruitings of Ty Willingham. At Florida he had a boat load of talent and the results were average. I think a lot of Florida fans would be glad that he's our coach now. Sad! I'm hoping Campo can build a deep and stout defense that can keep KU in most games going into the 4th quarter.

At this point though, I'm glad we have both of these coaches trying to rebuild the program over someone like Turner Gill. Heard he struggled to win his first game at Liberty to a team that's 0-4. Good hire on that one though KUAD!! I honestly think we should have had Campo as the head coach and Weis as the offensive coordinator. I think the defense is going progress better in 2-4 years than the offense will after a few more recruiting classes.

squawkhawk 2 years, 1 month ago

Here is why Weis will always be a decent coach but never a great one. "“The worse it is, the harder I work.” Snyder works hard every day, no matter how good or how bad it is, not just when things get bad. His recipe for success is to get better every day (yes he first coined this term that everyone now uses) and he and his players buy into his tireless work ethic and philosophy. I've yet to hear what Weis' philosophy is.