Saturday, October 6, 2012

Wildcats: Lopsided win not enough

Podcast episode

Press Conferences & Post-Game Interviews

KU coach Charlie Weis talks after 56-16 loss to Kansas State

Kansas coach Charlie Weis talks to reporters following the Jayhawks' 56-16 loss to Kansas State on Oct. 6, 2012.

Download podcast

Box score

KSU 56, KU 16

— Even a 40-point victory over his team’s biggest rival wasn’t enough to make Kansas State receiver Chris Harper happy.

Following KSU’s 56-16 rout of Kansas University on Saturday, Harper said he regretted that the Wildcats hadn’t put on an even better showing against their cross-state foes.

“We just don’t want to beat them. We want to beat them bad,” the Wichita native said. “I still wasn’t happy with how much we beat them by. I wish we’d have beat them by more.”

Perfect or not, KSU still was able to clearly illustrate it was the best team in the Sunflower State.

The seventh-ranked Wildcats forced a season-high five turnovers, outscoring the Jayhawks, 35-2, in the second half to take control.

“I don’t want it to be close. I want to show that we’re a better team,” Harper said. “We played OK, but we made a lot of mistakes. We could have played a lot better.”

KSU coach Bill Snyder admitted to having mixed feelings afterward, saying he was just as happy with his team’s second half as he was frustrated with his squad’s first half. KSU led just 21-14 at the break.

Still, the coach scoffed when asked if he was pleased to dominate KU for another year.

“I don’t think we dominated anybody,” Snyder said. “I think we had a lot more points, but we certainly didn’t dominate the ballgame. The first half was evidence of that.

“They’ve got — I don’t know what it says on here — 400-some-odd yards of total offense. That’s not domination.”

KU actually finished with 388 total yards, which was the second-most allowed by the Wildcats this season.

The Jayhawks were especially efficient in the first half, gaining 263 yards on 49 plays with a pair of touchdown drives.

“Kansas always throws a little wrinkle in things,” KSU linebacker Justin Tuggle said. “You look back at the last couple games, how they start the game ... they put Kale Pick at quarterback to start this game off, so that was a little bit different. But you never know what you’re going to expect. You’ve just got to be ready and play your assignments well.”

KSU’s defense looked much more comfortable against KU in the second half, especially with running back Tony Pierson sitting out because of an undisclosed injury.

“Kansas came out ... they had a great scheme,” KSU linebacker Arthur Brown said. “They’ve got some great players as well. Really, what we did to adjust to their approach, it really helped us be successful in the second half.”

KSU safety Ty Zimmerman — a Junction City native — said the win was significant because of the high percentage of Kansans on the Wildcats’ roster.

“(The Jayhawks) have the new coach and a lot of different things this year. I know they’ll win some games,” ZImmerman said. “But (the win) is big for us, and we’re going to enjoy it.”

The victory also improved the Wildcats to 5-0 and helped keep their Big 12 and national-title hopes alive.

“You know everybody’s trying to end your season. That’s KU,” Harper said. “If they’d have won this game, that would have made their season. Who cares about a bowl game or anything for them? If they’d have won this game, they would have partied like they won the national championship or something.

“Every game we’ve got to come out ready, because the other teams are circling our game now on the calendar.”

Comments

nuleafjhawk 4 years, 10 months ago

LOVE that banner hanging in the barn you call Bramlege - " Remember that time we beat KU ? "

Curtis Stutz 4 years, 10 months ago

It's a little different for a fan to make a comment on a message board in reaction to the other team's gloating fan than for a player to make a statement like that unprovoked. Everyone else interviewed showed a lot of class, Harper was an outcast in that department.

Jesse Newell 4 years, 10 months ago

Hey kal — You asked about the question Harper received, so I'll provide that. It was asked by Bruce Haertl of KWCH: "How important was this game, just to keep Kansas kind of under thumb. I mean, that's of a goal, isn't it ... to win a game, but to let them know the difference between the two programs?"

Harper: "Yeah. Definitely. We just don't want to beat them ... "

Jesse Newell 4 years, 10 months ago

I was surprised he said it, but I will never fault any athlete for being honest and giving a truthful answer rather than cliches, which is what we hear quite a bit. It still was the most noteworthy thing I heard, which is why I started the story with it.

It's interesting, because just a few seconds earlier, he had actually just told a reporter that he wasn't one of the guys that hated Kansas, but he answered Haertl's question in a different way. Sometimes that happens when a question comes from a more familiar face.

And to answer your question below this ... the first two quotes in the story above were actually one continuous quote without a break. There was no combining to make a complete thought.

Curtis Stutz 4 years, 10 months ago

I'd agree with you if it was a one-liner, but those are entire paragraphs worth of comments and I don't really see what question could goad you into statements like those unless you just really wanted to talk sh!t. Don't get me wrong, some of the folks on here that have shown jealousy towards KSU's successes just make KU look bad in general.

John Thomas 4 years, 10 months ago

He's from k-State, what did you expect?

kellerman411 4 years, 10 months ago

Haha! funniest post I have read in a while....

squawkhawk 4 years, 10 months ago

So how do you feel knowing that our team got obliterated by a manure scented team from a Cowtown? Some of our fans are just plain stupid.

Jim Erickson 4 years, 10 months ago

I miss Ron Prince. Think he will get to replace Synder again?? :)

Stan Unruh 4 years, 10 months ago

KSU is good but they are not a top 10 nationally ranked team. They are 5-0 and have beaten a very over rated OU and a weak Miami team. I hope they enjoy this season. It will be very different next year.

Dan Pawlowski 4 years, 10 months ago

It's sad how you troll opponent sites looking for validation.

Dan Pawlowski 4 years, 10 months ago

TS , I am an alumnus of The University of Kansas. Not a KState wannabe loving in Lawrence.

BoscheJayhawk 4 years, 10 months ago

What goes around comes around. Some day, I hope not too far away, we we will beating them in FB the same way they're beating us now.

Kay Jensen 4 years, 10 months ago

tical523 4 years, 10 months ago

Agree about Harper, it is one thing for fans because that is what they do but not players (at least collge) and not so over the top. I would bet some coin that Snyder, who I have a TON of respect for, was not happy at all about the comments. The comments just come off as bitter and cheap.

squawkhawk 4 years, 10 months ago

Yeah, kind of like our d player who tweeted some crap about KSU.

Brad Watson 4 years, 10 months ago

that 3rd qtr was an absolute nightmare...wow......but I thought we played pretty well...but they came out for the 2nd half. really ready....Synder must have give them a tongue lashing at halftime

championhawks 4 years, 10 months ago

Kal... The problem I have with his comment is that they did win big. If the game was close, then I wouldn't have a problem with the comment. When his team won by 40, then you don't pile on with comments like his. And it has nothing to do with a "Turner mentality," it's called sportsmanship.

championhawks 4 years, 10 months ago

This is the quote that bothers me when you win by 40. I personally don't see anything wrong with anything I have seen that was said by Snyder or another player. However, what the others said were nothing like what was said by Harper.

championhawks 4 years, 10 months ago

Just to clarify, it is the last part of the quote that I don't like, not the first part.

championhawks 4 years, 10 months ago

You want to beat everyone by 1000 if possible, but there is a certain way of handling yourself after, and I don't think Harper handled himself well.

We will have to agree to disagree on that I guess.

Glen Miller 4 years, 10 months ago

Hey kal110386...... if you're so but hurt about what everyone is saying on here then don't come on a KU site. You don't see me trolling on a KSU website. Yeah, you want to beat everyone you play handily and dominate. However, there is a way to conduct yourself when being interviewed and this guy let his emotions get the best of him. KU is not even in teh same realm as KSU in football, but our players go out and play just as hard as KSU. So for this guy to talk about how if we won the game it would be our "Super Bowl" and make it seem like we're just a bunch of worthless nobodys with no talent or fight is a little bit ridiculous.

Micky Baker 4 years, 10 months ago

Even with the loss, There was certainly a lot of progress noticeable in the game. It didn't turn out well for those wanting Cummings in the game, he came in late and did absolutely nothing impressive.

I would say in a couple of years, there won't be so much crowing going on in Manhattan, and here's why. Todd Heaps will know the entire offense as will Turzilli, Pierson, Sims, Omigie, and Justin by this time next season and it won't be as limited. If you can call more than 3 timeouts a half then it wouldn't be an issue but you can't.

Same thing on the Defense, the returners will know the defense and can focus on getting to the ball after reading the offense.

But THIRD! NO COLLIN KLEIN, who is outperforming K-State's wildest expectations.

I would then suspect that after Heaps is Baty, and that Weis will steal a few recruits, by our standards any way, and put together a team that we would be proud to put up against anyone in the country.

This is a project, and it wasn't such a big project until Turner Gill pretty much took the program backwards. He's a nice guy, but he wasn't ready for the big time. He may be one day though, but I look at it playing out this way. It will either be Dave Campo or Clint Bowen as Head Coach in 7 or 8 years.