Kansas State defeats Kansas, 56-16

• 11 a.m., Oct. 6, 2012
  • Bill Snyder Family Stadium, Manhattan, KS

Saturday, October 6, 2012

Same ol’, same ol’: Wildcats continue domination over KU with 56-16 romp

Kansas cornerback Tyler Patmon walks away as Kansas State players celebrate a touchdown by receiver Tyler Lockett during the second quarter on Saturday, Oct. 6, 2012 at Bill Snyder Family Stadium in Manhattan.

Podcast episode

Press Conferences & Post-Game Interviews

KU coach Charlie Weis talks after 56-16 loss to Kansas State

Kansas coach Charlie Weis talks to reporters following the Jayhawks' 56-16 loss to Kansas State on Oct. 6, 2012.

Download podcast

Box score

KSU 56, KU 16

— For the past two weeks, Kansas University football coach Charlie Weis preached finishing to his rebuilding program. But on a cold and windy Saturday in front of a crowd of 50,334 at Bill Snyder Family Stadium, it was the Jayhawks who were finished.

For the third consecutive year and the 17th time in 21 tries for Kansas State coach Bill Snyder, the Wildcats defeated the Jayhawks, 56-16, dropping KU to 1-4 overall and 0-2 in Big 12 play and forcing Weis and company to answer many of the same questions that came following similar embarrassments at the hands of K-State in 2010 and 2011.

How? Why? What now?

In the past three seasons alone, the Jayhawks have been outscored by the Wildcats (5-0, 2-0) 174-44, and much of the damage Saturday came during a third quarter that turned a promising 21-14 halftime deficit into one of the longest afternoons of the season.

"It seemed like the third quarter went on forever," Weis said.

After stopping KSU quarterback Collin Klein on first-and-goal from the five on the final play of the first half, the Jayhawks hit the locker room with momentum and also the second-half kickoff coming their way.

Didn't matter. Instead of continuing to hang tough with the No. 7 team in the country, the Jayhawks fell victim to two three-and-outs, coughed up two fumbles and threw two interceptions that turned this one into another laugher. K-State finished the day with five takeaways. Four of them came in the third quarter and led to the Wildcats scoring four touchdowns in a span of eight offensive plays.

"That ended up being the theme of the day on defense," Weis said. "It was big play after big play, and that really didn't turn out the way you planned it. ... When you have a minus-5 in the turnover ratio to a team like this, you're gonna lose like this most of the time."

Perhaps the biggest turnover of all — quarterback Dayne Crist threw three interceptions and lost a fumble — came from true freshman Tre' Parmalee on a kick return midway through the third quarter. Despite falling behind 28-14 on a two-yard touchdown pass from Klein to Travis Tannahill with 10:56 left in the third, the Jayhawks responded to Crist's second interception by stealing back the momentum when Tunde Bakare stuffed KSU tailback John Hubert in the end zone for a safety to bring the Jayhawks to within 28-16. Instead of building on that and driving to make it a one-score game again, Parmalee coughed it up after fielding the free kick, and the rout was on.

Added senior safety Bradley McDougald: "After that, it was like a constant bleeding. We were trying to stop the flow of their offense and get calmed down, and we didn't make a play to stop it."

The quick turnaround deflated the Jayhawks and appeared to fire up the Wildcats, who rolled to 475 yards of total offense, including 346 yards on the ground. Klein and Hubert each went over the 100-yard mark and did it on just 10 carries apiece. K-State backup QB Daniel Sams, who entered for Klein on the final play of the third quarter, nearly joined them, finishing with 67 yards on 10 carries. What's more, Kansas State entered Saturday's game with six runs of 20 yards or more and had seven such runs on Saturday while needing an average of just 3.6 plays per touchdown drive.

"Those big plays they were getting were on the same plays that we stopped them on just drives before that," senior Toben Opurum said. "A lot of stuff I feel like we handed to them by us not being where we're supposed to be. Credit them for taking advantage of that."

The lopsided final score, which included K-State outscoring KU, 35-2, in the second half, erased any memory of what was a solid first half for the visitors. The Jayhawks not only outgained the Wildcats, 263-218, through the first two quarters but also dominated time of possession (21:35-8:25), converted five of 10 third-down tries and showed they were serious about competing with the Wildcats. The most obvious such statement came on KU's second scoring drive, when Weis successfully called for two fake kicks to keep the drive alive. On the first, punter Ron Doherty rumbled for 13 yards on fourth-and-eight from the KU 29. The second came seven plays later when holder Blake Jablonski hit Opurum for a 12-yard gain on a fake field goal from the KSU 23.

"Every week I have (special teams coach) Clint (Bowen) look for anything that has a chance," Weis said. "When he thinks something has a chance, he comes to me. If I say put it in, I'm calling it, especially in a game like this. When you're playing a team of this caliber, you gotta be willing to take some risks."

The Jayhawks were, but, in the end, they too often resembled the team that suffered fourth-quarter collapses against Rice and Northern Illinois earlier this season. The search for answers marches on.

"One thing I can't do is I can't just stay status quo," Weis said. "I can't just say, 'Well that's OK, we got our butts whupped by K-State, that's OK, fellas.' Trust me, that was not the message that was relayed in the locker room. Let me just say that."

Comments

Chayse Patrick 1 year, 11 months ago

so tell me weis is KU still "turning the corner"??? That may of been the dumbest thing you ever said to anyone. KU loses and you tell them it woulda been worse last year. Is that all ya got?? omg that's bad. KU lost to ksate worse last year than this year so is that ok too??? you're a joke weis........good riddens

741hawk 1 year, 11 months ago

I thought Charlie did everything he could to swing the momentum in the first half - - fake punt (executed), fake kick (executed) and good play calling. Parmelee fumbled and Crist lost his composure again. The second half revealed a significant difference in athleticism. It's going to be a long haul. We have a coaching staff with extensive resumes. We are going to have to be patient AND supportive . . . as hard as it will be.

JakeBarnes 1 year, 11 months ago

While I agree with 741, with the comment regarding Parmalee's fumble I do not agree. "That turnover was a big one," Weis said. "You just got the emotional high of the safety and then you got the emotional low of turning the ball over." Crist lost the ball four times. When is too much, too much, Coach Weis???? You may as well play for next year. Get a QB ready, play underclassmen.

jhawkln 1 year, 11 months ago

we suck. we have talent, though some may throw nukes on even that thought...we are one of the worst programs in the country right now and for some reason we always seem to quit or quit caring...we have a huge mental factor attached to this program (and the lack of a pass rush). i like weis, i hope at this point, outside of the running backs, everyone's position is up for grabs! Rock Chalk.

AirCapJay 1 year, 11 months ago

Weis needs to bench the seniors and some of the juniors. They don't care and have given up. Can't get any worse. Give playing time to the freshman and sophomores who will be around next year and after.

squawkhawk 1 year, 11 months ago

I hope all the coaching positions are also up for grabs including the head coaching position.

Jayhawk1116 1 year, 11 months ago

Not staying status quo means benching Crist, or, at least, expanding the "Jayhawk" formation package.

Doug Roberts 1 year, 11 months ago

Cummings or Baty, of course. They can't do any worse.

AirCapJay 1 year, 11 months ago

We played 1.5 quarters of decent football. By the end of the season, maybe we can put together 4 quarters of good football and only lose by a TD.

Jason Keller 1 year, 11 months ago

I want to pose a serious question to LJW and to all KU football fans. In this game, if KSU and KU had completely swapped their entire special teams with each other before the game, what would the final score look like? KU would get deep kickoffs, deep and high punts, made field goals and better tackling. In the first 3 and out of the second half, if KU’s punter could have perhaps punted it much higher and farther to prevent the 30 yard return, would it really have mattered? In my opinion, KU has the worst special team’s play we have seen even on a KU team in at least 5 years. K-State was scoring at will in the second half and nothing would change that much but it doesn’t help that they consistently started at our freaking 35 yard line. Had we switched special teams, I don’t think we would have seen K-State’s second team.

There are plenty of good things to take away from this game. I though Crist was making good decisions for the most part. Those interceptions were maybe a little forced but the game was getting away and those tipped balls are always up for grabs. Ben Heeney is a MAN. Did you see him wrestle Klein down at the end of that 1rst half? That was a play only a man could make. James Sims also looked really good and so did Turzilli.

The fact is, Clint Bowen is not getting it done. I’m sorry but he’s not. Our special teams looked horrible and the secondary looks almost as bad. That was so embarrassing on that 3rd and long when Klein had 2 wide open receivers who had gotten by our secondary. It’s third and long and the deep ball is their only play. It’s one thing to get beat but Tyler Patmon was several yards behind his man. Again, in my opinion, if Clint Bowen is on this coaching staff next year, it really shows that we aren’t committed to winning. You have to take responsibility for the part of the team you are coaching.

april28 1 year, 11 months ago

This is one of the most accurate assessments of the team and the game. Kick-offs and coverage are a mess, punting is a mess and the field-goal kicking..... People who don't understand football don't understand that, if you are terrible at one-third of the game, then you have little chance of succeeding.

Toss in 5 turnovers during an away game at a top-ten program and you get stomped.

This team did a lot right yesterday. They didn't quit and I think that they are getting better.

nuleafjhawk 1 year, 11 months ago

Not to toot my own horn (or maybe so) - all year long I've said that our kicking game would keep us out of most games. I hate to bag on one or two individual players, but we have got to have the worst overall kicking team in the nation. We give up big yards on kickoffs by not being able to kick deep, give our opponents great field position with our 25 yard punts and to top it off, we can't make what should be chip shot field goals.

Then throw in a QB who, if not for his size, couldn't make most local HS football teams, it's not a pretty formula.

tical523 1 year, 11 months ago

I disagree, Coach Bowen is good for the Hawks. I am sure he stresses the importance of tunrovers but really the players just have to hang onto the ball. And the main problem with our special teams is nobody with an accurate or strong leg, no coach in the world could get a kid to kick it 15 yards further on kickoffs and how do you blame Bowen for consistently missing field goals and even PAT's. Way off with blaming Bowen.

jhawkln 1 year, 11 months ago

LOL! To even hint that Bowen is the problem is off the charts hysterical. Have another dude!

Jason Keller 1 year, 11 months ago

Special teams is 1/3 of the game. So, tell me jhawklin, is our offense or defense worse than our special teams? Yeah, I know you've never played the game but you've been watching for years. Believe me, special teams is far and away the biggest problem on this team. Our kickoffs land at the 10 and we missed a field goal from the 9 today.... from the 9....

jhawkln 1 year, 11 months ago

Yes, special teams is far and away the biggest problem. We have been blind, fire Bowen tomorrow and we will be back on the right path! You are funny.

Tyler Bruce 1 year, 11 months ago

What's your solution? KU quit football?

Don't be dilusional; we weren't going to be good this year and Weis is about as good as we're going to do.. Remember, KU is STILL (and will always be) a basketball school first. We won't get the likes of Will Muschamp; do you think we should keep hiring coaches for one year until we find our own Bill Snyder? If kstate had done that, Snyder wouldn't have lasted either. Quit playing the 'whoa is me' card! We have a long way to go and it's not going to be solved over night.

Chayse Patrick 1 year, 11 months ago

KU's special teams and secondary have looked horrible for years.The eyes light up on every offense in the nation when they face 3rd down against KU. You might as well go ahead and move the chains. I hope weis and crist and campo and grunhard and bowen, the players on the entire team are as humiliated and embarrassed as their fans are because being the laughing stock of the nation is serious stuff. ANd it won't change until the players and attitudes change. I wonder if any of the people on the team (coaches included) know the true meaning of the word PRIDE?????

Jason Keller 1 year, 11 months ago

I'm sorry but I just don't understand how two guys like Weis and Campo who have spent time in the pros can put up with such profound incompetence with the kicking game. I've never seen anything like it. Zero hangtime on the punts, kickoffs land at the bloody 10 yard line and opposing teams ALWAYS get a big return.

I'm just surprised Weis doesn't talk about it more. I mean, how can he not pin point that as one obvious problem on this team right now. Maybe instead of going to sit on the cooler when his offense leaves the field, he should stay and watch the other teams special teams.

texashawk10 1 year, 11 months ago

Weis has mentioned it plenty of times early on and at this point it would just be a beating a dead horse to bring it up every week because everyone knows it's a big issue. Unfortunately, Weis can't just go out and sign a kicker off the streets like a team could in the NFL. I would love to even have Branstetter be able to come back because even if he didn't have the biggest leg ever, he at least consistently made his FG's from 40 and in. Unfortunately since Weis can't go out and bring in a kicker off the street, we are stuck watching Doherty and Prolago struggle through the season. I hope Weis has one of KU's scholarships reserved for a kicker because it is down right embarrassing when you can't even routinely hit inside of 30 yards. I wouldn't think it would be that hard to find a decent kicker somewhere in the KC area and hook them up with a free ride. The Rams rookie kicker went to Missouri Western so I'm guessing he was pretty local to the KC area.

troutsee 1 year, 11 months ago

I was at the game. And, yes the Parmalee fumble was huge and perhaps the turning point but I doubt it. What I did see is this: the KU defense is slow afoot, slow to react, slow to read, has a terrible pass rush, is prone to giving up big plays, folds at critical times of the game, and needs a lot of work on the edge of the defense.

I also thought Charlie called a brilliant game in the first half but his choice of first and second down plays in the first two series of the 3rd quarter did as much to lose us the game as the porous defense did. And, yes our special teams suck, too, but put this loss squarely on the shoulders of a defense that gives up big plays.

I do not see how we are going to win another game this year.

rockchalkfletch 1 year, 11 months ago

This loss was definitely not on the Defense, the wildcats started almost every drive in the second half in plus territory because the offense went 3 and out. almost every Defense would give up a lot of points to a team like Kstate if they only have to go 30 yards

squawkhawk 1 year, 11 months ago

Yeah, Weis called a good first half but then was schooled by Snyder and staff in the second half. Great coaching and committed players will win a lot of games.

Tyler Bruce 1 year, 11 months ago

I don't know what you mean by get another QB going. I don't know if you've seen everyone else, but there's a clear difference between Crist/Heaps and the rest. Crist ertainly still gives us the "best chance" to win, and he's shown glipses but when he's getting hit and running for his life, he's going to be ineffective. Not to mention when we get behind there will be forced throws and mistakes will compound. It's a total team failure but I do think Weis is on the right path. We still have guys on the team that are not D-1 athletes.. that will change in coming years.

I know it's hard to stay patient (I thought 3 wins was realistic this year) but I think you said it right when you said "Turner Gill ran this program so deep into the ground". It's going to be a tough season, but especially with Heaps waiting in the wing, going to someone that isn't Crist isn't the right answer.

squawkhawk 1 year, 11 months ago

More talent won't matter if Weis can't I can't coach up a 5star QB to perform better than he has. Crist was a top 10 QB coming out of high school while Klein was ranked 106 and went to KSU as a receiver. You coach up the talent you have. If Weis cannot do this he needs to move on sooner rather than later.

eastcoasthawk 1 year, 11 months ago

Don't forget that not all 5 HS QB's make it to the pro's. They still have parts of their game they have to develop. If he were rated today Crist would be a 2 or 3 college QB. He still has many aspects of the his game he needs to improve, even as a 5th year senior. And there is no telling who will be great and who won't. We were lucky to get Todd Reesing and he certainly wasn't a 5* coming in. Yet, he played like one and more.

SetMeSaturday 1 year, 11 months ago

And in the meantime, the KU women's volleyball team played tonight against a tough Baylor team in Big 12 action at home, and WON in 5 sets! A thrilling match with big-time offense on both sides. But when I log on to this site, hoping to get the stats and re-live the fun for a minute, there is not even a story to comment on! Sheesh!

ParkerUSMC1986 1 year, 11 months ago

Have to agree Kal. It's just not a big sport in Kansas.

SetMeSaturday 1 year, 11 months ago

Well, there's the story posted by Gary at last. And volleyball can be a big sport at Kansas (yes, it IS a big sport in Kansas high schools and at K-State). KU's team moved into the top 25 rankings last week and play in one of the toughest conferences in the US. Well worth supporting.

Curtis Stutz 1 year, 11 months ago

Ya, there's no way you can trick yourself into feeling good about CFB as a KU fan this year, just can't be done. Actually the only thing that would maybe make me feel a little better is if TCU comes into the Big12 and can't make a bowl game, 'cause it would show just how difficult playing the Big12 schedule is.

Doug Roberts 1 year, 11 months ago

I'm okay with it. We KNEW KU was going to be pretty bad this year, but I didn't think MOO would be this bad. I don't hear too many M-I-Z S-E-C chants these days.

Robert Brown 1 year, 11 months ago

What is even more sad is that the Big 12 is a very exciting league. The conference games have been exciting and when any of the other nine teams play each other, anything can happen. WV has been a great addition. KU is the outlier and looks to be falling further behind the rest of the league. I don't think this team is any better than last year's team.

Patrick Leiker 1 year, 11 months ago

what about Grunhard. How is that guy getting a free pass. The right side of our oline Is a tragedy. Missed assignment everywhere. Guys are in Crist's face less than a second after the snap.

Hammertoe 1 year, 11 months ago

I was there. The difference in talent on the field, specifically speed, was overwhelming.

Chayse Patrick 1 year, 11 months ago

Does manhattan have a website you ask??? LMAO Hell the ksuck dairy dept is still milking cows by hand one at a time so what do you think??? hahahaha

sporty 1 year, 11 months ago

Wow, good one! Lawrence is such a cosmopolitan town. Face it, Lawrence and Manhattan are in Kansas. Not much difference between them, Except, of course, Manhattan has the 5th ranked college football team!

Kevin Crook 1 year, 11 months ago

KSU blitzed heavily in the third quarter and we did a really poor job of handling it. Crist was under huge pressure, and we had some tough breaks with tipped passes. We did run the ball pretty well. Our defense is as bad as it has ever been. We give up too many big plays and we don't get any pressure on the quarterback to speak of. This game was not a surprise at all. We needed them to make mistakes, and they just don't make many. They have great senior leadership. If they get some good bounces and stay healthy they could run the table. They are profoundly better than us.

TenaciousD 1 year, 11 months ago

Dude, that is quite a fantasy you have dreamed up. Do you really think that Harbaugh was considering KU? Not even close. He knew he was headed for a $5mil salary with a real organization.

I don't know where to start with the other statements. Aside from that bologna, KU would be much better off with Gill still at the helm. Weis is a lousy coach because he is not a motivator and doesn't get his players to play hard-nosed football. He's a finesse, video-game type of offensive coordinator. Not a leader of men.

Joseph Kuebel 1 year, 11 months ago

Harbaugh actually admitted on radio that he was going to go to KU but wanted to coach in Stanfords bowl game. This is a known truth.

troutsee 1 year, 11 months ago

Agree. I share your frustration with KU FB. I fear that I will not have enough years left to ever see us win consistently. We need speed and grit and confidence and determination and never say quit attitude but most of all we need the jimmies and the joes. We ain't got em. Still I will be there for OSU and I think we will give them a good game.

Michael Luby 1 year, 11 months ago

we need more articles about the basketball team. KU Football sux

Jack Jones 1 year, 11 months ago

As I read, week after week, the obviously brilliant, well-informed, always negative analysis of KU Football - never has the long-standing admonition, GET A LIFE, been more in play. Are the other pieces of your lives really so without meaning, and so negative, that you find so much personal satisfaction in bitching and moaning about a KU Football program five games in to a brand new Head Coach's tenure, one following a program totally in the tank, devoid of Big 12 quality players? Come on now, wake up to the reality of this situation. Even though what you say really matters only to your small cadre of fellow boo-birds, you do risk becoming part of the problem, however insignificant that might be.

At the risk of repeating myself - GET A LIFE.

Kevin Crook 1 year, 11 months ago

The point is not that we thought KU would be as good as Alabama this season or any of the next five seasons. The point is that KSU has had some of the worst ranked recruiting classes in the Big 12 for the past five seasons. Aside from luck falling in their laps getting a kid like Arthur Brown, they have done a masterful job of developing players. The difference in the preparation and execution of these two teams is astounding. I don't think it makes me a bad fan, or make you any better one, if I point out that they looked bigger, faster, stronger, and more organized than us and you chalk it up to three coaches in three seasons and say to be patient. I am a huge Chiefs fan as well, but you won't read me writing that they are a Super Bowl contender. I love how hard our kids played yesterday, but we are a lousy football team. There are only very small signs that we are any better than last year overall. That's what this forum is for, discussing this team. Our kicking game and special teams is not Division I caliber, our defense has some really good players in spots but is mostly ineffective, and our offense is not consistent enough to keep us in games. Just because I say we look like a team that will be 1-11 at the end of the season does not mean I won't be living and dying with each play and pulling for us. If you can't stand criticism of the team, and would prefer to just accept whatever product is put on the field every Saturday, then stay away from these forums.

Jack Jones 1 year, 11 months ago

Where to begin? Really, "The point is".... I can't imagine anyone accusing "we"/you, of thinking "we thought KU... as good as Alabama". Not sure where that came from. " KSU ... worst recruiting classes...Big 12...last five years". ." Masterful job of developing players. Difference in prep and exec...astounding." Probably explains why Coach Snyder is the reigning Coach of the Year. I suspect that some, probably a lot, of that 'outstanding difference' can be attributed to - (a) The comparative difference in the two coaches tenure at their respective schools; (b) a comparison of the difference between the relatively recent FB tradition of KSU and KU - winning v/s losing.; (c) A comparison between the overall quality and experience of the players on each of the teams. (d) The recruiting challenge comparison - If, as you say, "KSU has had ...worst ranked recruiting classes...five years " - I wonder who might be ranked even below KSU? "Bad fan - Good fan"? Which of us used those judgemental terms? "Bigger, faster, stronger, more organized...you.chalk it up to three coaches in three seasons...be patient." Where exactly did I "chalk it up...three coaches in three seasons"?. "Patient" - guilty as charged - for too many reasons already enumerated. "Lousy football team" - pretty harsh word - how about ' not very good football team' ? Imagine, if you will, you are one, or several of those "kids who ...played hard yesterday", and are characterized as being a 'lousy team'. Terrific motivator . Although, on reflection - they probably are not 'lousy' enough to pay any attention to these forum comments. "Our kicking game and special teams...not D-1 caliber...defense ineffective...offense not consistent", and let's see, where did those players who play those particular positions come from? Current Head Coach recruiting, or inherited from a FB program - a 'disaster' seems to be an operative description, ever since the Perkins/Mangino Farce? Some pretty nifty recruiting down through those years, eh? And, it's not that I "can't stand the criticism" - it's 'criticism/discussion' that is not rational, nor constructive, that I can't stand. However, regarding the prospect of a 1-11 season, we do agree - the two of us, and 50,000 + other Jayhawk football fans.

Doug Roberts 1 year, 11 months ago

I'm guessing you haven't read the book, How to Win Friends and Influence People.

Doug Roberts 1 year, 11 months ago

My point is you're not likable. I have charts and graphs if you need more explanation.

W Keith Swinehart II 1 year, 11 months ago

Patience people. We've got a great AD, good coaches in place, good players in spots but not enough of them. Good things don't come easy or fast. It's brick by brick; piece by piece. It's hard to watch, but a learning process is like that. There is no easy solution. Just look for progress week by week. Everyone is playing hard and learning. It'll come.

april28 1 year, 11 months ago

And there was actually plenty to build on from that game. I expect to see us continue to improve. How we respond to this is critical. Do we come back fighting against OSU? I think that we do.

Max Ledom 1 year, 11 months ago

Quit skipping over facts and blaming coaching. Mangino brought in players he could coach. Just like Snyder. What happened when Snyder left? Well there you have the Ron Prince era. You tell me how it went. Now, We have Mangino leaving and Turner picking up the players (Even though it doesn't matter the players, Turner was a BAD coach). But the fact is this gentlemen:

The program was in far worse shape than we ever could have thought when Mangino left. And Turner just made it worse.

Charlie has a mess on his hands guys. We can't expect to win this year, perhaps even the next. Let him get his system installed. We just need to face that sad fact. We aren't as talented as we say we are. We have some very good players here and there sure, but overall...nothing. Charlie will turn this ship around. We just need to support him and this Jayhawk team. WE NEED TO DO OUR PART. This thing will get turned around. And one thing more, this will be the last time KState beats us down like that. The tides are turning gentlemen. Kansas is the dominant football program in this state. And we are about to show it. Just have patience and don't stop believing!

squawkhawk 1 year, 11 months ago

I JUST SPIT OUT MY COKE! When did KU become the dominant FB program in the state. Please enlighten me.

nuleafjhawk 1 year, 11 months ago

I just read through most of these posts and must admit that I'm surprised I didn't see many "Fire Weis" comments and don't think I saw any " Bring back TG " comments. Congratulations to us! We must be getting more mature.

Or just don't give a crap any more.

I'm personally leaning more towards that second one.

troutsee 1 year, 11 months ago

I resent the posters who criticize those that post negatively. For crying out loud, many of us have been loyal toward KU football, not for years, but for decades. We have a right to be angry and disappointed and frustrated and to release those frustrations on this board. Other than very occasional and very short bursts of glory, KU has had a ragtag FB program, as bad a program as there has ever been in college football. For an eternity, KU FB has been KU BB's step-child. It is as much our fault as it is the administration. We have contributed to the culture of losing in football because we fans have worshipped BB and have never awakened to the utter importance of at least a competitive football program. Untill recently, most of our pollyanna BB worshippiers have not realized the improtance of football. If there is further conference realignment, guess who gets left out?

Hell, yes I am angry and hell yes I expect more and hell yes I am going to express my views on this site, if for no other reason than to blow my stack and maintain my sanity. And, please don't tell me that after all KU is a basketball school. I won't accept that as an excuse for our perinneal embarrassing displays on the gridiron.

akgjenkintown 1 year, 11 months ago

The only comments that ring true are that KU lacks depth and the talent at every position (other than running back) to compete at any level, let alone in the Big XII. Wake up to the fact that it takes several years to recruit and develop talent. KU will continue to suffer from Gill's era and will be the doormat for many years to come. The question will be whether Weis is the coach who will be able to lead KU out of this mess.

offline 1 year, 11 months ago

Kansas ST. owns the State of Kansas.

offline 1 year, 11 months ago

Time to bring back Mangino.

vd 1 year, 11 months ago

We had momentum going into half? Really? The turning point and the total loss of momentum came with the pick. Everyone knew at that point that Crist was his normal self, not the 5 star recruit that all CW believers thought he was. The second momentum change came with the Tre fumble. 2 KO returns the whole game, and one is a fumble. Just another example of CW's great recruiting abilities. We beat out Washburn for a recruit, and he gets play like he's the greatest playmaker in the world.

troutsee 1 year, 11 months ago

But our defense gave up big play after big play. On two of their longer touchdown runs, their runners were not even touched. Our play on the edge was horrible. We also gave up two long pass plays. KSU did not have to do much work for their 56 points. Yes, Crist, is not as good as billed and I have been saying that for weeks but our defense has folded down the stretch in all of our games. In fact, we were lucky to beat SDSU in the first game.

We need some big, fast, tough defensive linemen and I don't know where we are going to get them.

squawkhawk 1 year, 11 months ago

Don't worry about recruiting good talent. Charlie is expecting his phone to start ringing any minute after that beat down by KSU. His words not mine. He's a piece of work...or something.

Robert Brown 1 year, 11 months ago

At some point there has to be some scrutiny of the coaching staff. This team should be better than last year's team because the players are a year more experienced, we brought in new players who are suppose to be even better and we alledgedly gotten better coaches. I don't see it.

Chris Bailey 1 year, 11 months ago

I'm wondering what our kickoffs would be if we were kicking from 5 yards back like last season? I've seen high school kickers consistently put the ball out of the back of the end zone! I don't care if we waste a scholarship on a kickoff specialist. We need to find some kickers, badly!

Layne Pierce 1 year, 11 months ago

As it looks right now, Charlie has a concept of how we are going to win, he just does not have the players to execute that concept. Now, one of two things is going to happen, a) Charlie is going to develop the players he has and recruit new better players, or he is going to simply change everything he has been doing, and learned from other great coaches. What do you want him to do? Right now, the best coach in the world could not do much with this bunch.

Realistically we should have two more wins, only because the football gods tried to give them to us, but between Crist inaccuracy and butter fingered receivers, and an offensive line that is just that, we clutched defeat from the jaws of victory.

Robert Brown 1 year, 11 months ago

Of course we will stick with Weis. We have no other option and we should give him 3-4 years to bring the program back to some semblance of respectability. Weis was a risky choice giving his past college track record and was widely panned as a pick for KU.

What is sad is that the Big 12 is an exciting conference this year. Nine teams may end up bowl eligible. KU doesn't even seem to fit with the rest of the league. I do think that coaching has something to do with the fact that this year's team does not appear to be any better than last year's team

JohnSteel 1 year, 11 months ago

hawkmaster 1 year, 11 months ago

Where to start, there is room in the woodshed for all KU coaches and players! This beat down was worse than with TG coaching, I saw KU players give up and coaches give up. And no the first half was not something to salvage from this game, its always been how you "finish" and not how you "start". First, Weis supremely outcoached, Snyder adjusted at halftime and Charlie did not, just like the TG days. In fact, Weis' plan to just hand if off to Sims nearly every down in the 2nd half meant 2 things, 1) Either Weis conceded the game; or 2) he has so little confidence in Crist to pass the ball, he just went completely vanilla...which also means he conceded the game. That was no offensive "genius" I saw coaching the 2nd half, as Weis is referenced. I understand Pierson was hurt, but why couldn't KU run the flare passes and screens to Beshears or Patterson? And I also understand if Snyder took away that option, but Snyder can't shut down both the run and that flare pass because K-State stacked the line the 2nd half and dared KU to throw, and thus shut down KU's running game...although I guess Charlie never figured that out and he tried to keep running any way. This defensive effort was worse than the TG days, I have never seen a team score in so few plays! I do credit TG for telling Oporum last year to tackle Klein every time, even if he doesn't have the ball. I saw times that KU players stood and never attempted to tackle either Klein or the running back in this game. KSU is not exactly an offensive machine, so I worry what teams like WV will do to us. And that possible win against Iowa State, thats out the door with their win over TCU yesterday..Season over....

JakeBarnes 1 year, 11 months ago

Isn't old man Snyder a nice guy? He never wants to run the score up on the weak and incapable!! He would never kick a person he had down, or run over a dog on the side of the road. He is all heart. NOT

CatPatrol 1 year, 11 months ago

Calling Coach Snyder an old man with no heart? Now aren't we childish with the comment! He may outlive you pal. Running up the score? Come on. He put in Daniel Sams at QB in the 3rd quarter, and he didn't throw the ball the rest of the game. He ran the ball up the middle time after time. What was he supposed to do? Call the game off at the end of 3rd quarter so you won't cry?

squawkhawk 1 year, 11 months ago

What game did you watch? It looked to me that Snyder did all he could to run out the clock and minimize scoring in the entire 4th quarter. He can't help it if KU players were inept and poorly coached. That is our problem.

Robert Brown 1 year, 11 months ago

Commenting on running up the score or channelling your frustration to taking pleasure in MU's struggles in the SEC is weak. I didn't think we could sink lower than we did last year, but I was wrong. We still have to play UT, WV, Baylor, OU, OSU, all of which have better offenses than K-State. Our offense looked decent for a couple of drives in the first half, but has never put together a sustained effort for the entire game. I still hold out hope that we might win a conference game, but I'm not holding my breath.

Jayhawks1985 1 year, 11 months ago

Dear God I know there is far worse problems in the middle east but could you give us a miracle or two before the end of the season. Thank you, Amen

I think we need some divine intervention. God surely is a Jayhawk fan!

Dear Charlie and team I 'm prayin' for ya!

CatPatrol 1 year, 11 months ago

Mark Mangino was your answer hawk fans. Snyder called him a great man and football coach. I thought you had it going with him. But your AD fired him! For what? Too much discipline? He took you to near the top of the Big 12 and the ORANGE bowl. I knew you had lost a good one when that all came down, no doubt and you all should know that too!

Ludwig Supraphonic 1 year, 11 months ago

Three trolls in a row. I sure hope Zenger reads this blog to get the expert advice.

pbouldenv 1 year, 11 months ago

Things are getting better. It was a game until 7:59 in the 3rd when we had a series of TO. We need to fix the mental errors, but things are getting better. Once the D starts being more disciplined they won't give up the big plays.

wsjayhawk1 1 year, 11 months ago

I'm sure Clint Bowen is a nice guy but when I heard Weis hired him it made me question Weis's ability to evaluate anything. Bowen's coaching skills were horrible under Terry Allen and he was immediately let go by Mangino. Something smells of nepotism in bringing Bowen back to KU and it doesn't reflect well on Weis. That being said there are a lot of other coaching problems in all areas of the team..

CatPatrol 1 year, 11 months ago

I would rehire Mark Mangino in a N.Y minute. With his size, how could he have carried out physical abuse to his players? Did they accidentally fall under him? Verbal abuse? Come on you don't want ppansies in Jayhawk uniforms do you? Great Man and football coach-Mark Mangino!

sporty 1 year, 11 months ago

You've lost to that Excellent University 4 years in a row.

scraptown 1 year, 11 months ago

"Poop! They smell like poop!" Said an angry 3 year old… and njjayhawk.