Friday, October 5, 2012

Keegan

Kale Pick glad he picked Kansas

A pass to Kale Pick falls just out of reach on a fourth-and-17 attempt in the second half of KU's 30-23 loss to the Northern Illinois Huskies on Saturday, Sept. 22, 2012, at Huskie Stadium in DeKalb, Ill.

Mention the name Kerry Meier to the average Kansas University football fan, and the image of No. 10 slipping behind the Missouri defense on a freelance pattern immediately surfaces, replete with snowflakes falling in Arrowhead Stadium and Todd Reesing lobbing him the game-winning touchdown pass.

Mention Kale Pick, and the image of No. 7 all alone near the end zone in DeKalb, Ill., comes to mind. That too was the game’s pivotal play as well as that of the first third of this KU football season, when quarterback Dayne Crist missed Pick for what would have been a 29-yard touchdown against Northern Illinois.

That Pick’s signature play bore no fruit is no fault of his and in a sense captures his college football career. Kansas has gone 11-29 in the four years Pick has played in games after spending his red-shirt season as a quarterback. Again, it’s not his fault. The former quarterback from Dodge City High has had a pretty decent career as a receiver.

He earned the starting job at quarterback as a third-year sophomore, but lost his job in the second half of the opener, never to regain it. The rap on him was that he couldn’t pull the trigger quickly enough, and he who hesitates at quarterback is lost. He became a reserve receiver later that season.

As a junior, Pick ranked second to D.J. Beshears in receptions (34) and receiving yards (437). Despite missing the TCU game with a knee injury, Pick leads KU with 148 receiving yards, edging Daymond Patterson (147), Andrew Turzilli (145) and Tony Pierson (135). Those four combined have not scored a touchdown. Tight ends Jimmay Mundine and Mike Ragone were on the receiving end of Crist’s two touchdown passes.

How did Pick get so wide-open against Northern Illinois anyway?

“We faked left, and the safety had his eyes on me, and I ran up at him pretty hard and just kind of acted like I was going to block him,” Pick said. “He bit on the run hard and went right past me.”

It didn’t work out. Pick will try to find the end zone against Kansas State, the school he always considered KU’s biggest rival, the school that tried to get him to decommit from Kansas after he already had decommitted from Arkansas.

“I was sold on KU, and I didn’t want any part of any other school, so I kind of cut him off early,” Pick said of former K-State coach Ron Prince.

Why Kansas?

“KU was doing well,” he said. “They just won the Orange Bowl. I really liked how things were going and where they were headed.”

Things quickly changed direction at both schools. Pick has played for Mark Mangino, Turner Gill and Charlie Weis. Bill Snyder is back at Kansas State. That’s not what Pick envisioned, but he doesn’t complain.

“I’m glad I chose here,” he said.

Comments

pizzashuttle 1 year, 6 months ago

Pick.....picked Kansas. I've got this great idea for a game. It's called "Jump to Conclusions" and you actually jump!

RogersState80 1 year, 6 months ago

IM SICK AND TIRED OF CHARLIE WEIS FANS AND K STATE FANS. CHARLIE WEIS WILL HUMILIATE NOT ONLY THIS UNIVERSITY BUT THE ENTIRE STATE WHEN HE GOES INTO MANHATTAN ON SATURDAY. AT WHAT POINT WILL THESE ADMINISTRATORS GET TIRED OF LOSING AND HIRE A REAL COACH? OH YES I FORGOT, THEY HAD ONE AND FIRED HIM AFTER HE WON THE ORANGE BOWL.

wats211 1 year, 6 months ago

Go Pick...we all like what you bring to the team...but you can get better...and I know you will read this....we need you to get better...period!

MartyrMangino 1 year, 6 months ago

All I can say is if we come out with the mentality of jaykan7, springtxhawk, and notjustbread, we're liable to put a Turner Gill score up out there.

notjustbread 1 year, 6 months ago

Still trying to overcome his last name

John Mueller 1 year, 6 months ago

Really?

How this kind of language not get removed?

HeyMarty, it's Rock Chalk Jayhawk!!

C'mon bro!

We don't need that kind of language. Being a crude idiot doesn't help you tackle.

MartyrMangino 1 year, 6 months ago

Two weeks ago, I had to suffer through our guys giving Lynch carte blanche for four quarters like he came in with the plague or something. A chance to hit the quarterback is a god-damned golden opportunity. You have to be foaming at the mouth to demolish him. I think our team is just beginning to tacklle like men, compared to the arm-tackling and ankle-grabbing we'd been seeing otherwise, though the problem has completely vanished. We need to turn the corner on Klein and put the fear of God into him. If he crumbles to the ground like Crist at the first sign of danger, friggin pile on! He isn't wearing all of those pads for show. Give him a reason. Get in his head. Rock god-damned Chalk!

Brak 1 year, 6 months ago

I'm totally shocked Keegs didn't go with the 'Kale glad he Picked KU' headline. How can you not love this kid, he came in and worked his butt off to be the successor to Reesing and when that didn't work out he worked his butt off to do whatever he could to help this team. I don't know him personally like Kay-St8 does above but what I do know is how he presented himself on the field of play and he played like a warrior.

EightST8 1 year, 6 months ago

Being a student I can safely say that there isn't a more cocky person on this entire team. KP has done nothing his entire KU career and as a fan and student it's extremely disappointing. Then throwing in the fact that he's the biggest jerk on the entire team when guys who will actually be pros on this team(Hawkinson, Zlatnik, McDougal, Opurum ect.) are much better people. I really can't wait for this practice warrior to graduate to be honest

gchawk 1 year, 6 months ago

Kale, we're glad you "picked" KU too. Time for you, and the rest of the team, to have the game of your lives and kick some Wildcat tail, you can do it!

nuleafjhawk 1 year, 6 months ago

Fellow Jayhawks:

As I type this, it's about 27 1/2 hours before game time. We all know that the KSU trolls will show up on this site again today because........well, because that's what they do, I guess.

Here's my plea - we're all human beings, a lot of us are Kansans, let's not spend all of our precious time fighting and name calling. How about if we think of things that we can be thankful for, for our purple brothers and sisters?

I'll start with a few things - please be creative and feel free to help me out with this.

• 1) I'm very thankful to the KSU ranchers that sacrifice their family pets to put food on my table. I love pork chops.
  • 2) I'm thankful for the makers of white overalls, so that KSU brides have something appropriate to wear at their weddings.
  • 3) I'm thankful to Bill Snyder for being there to flip the switch when God said " Let there be light ".

Ok folks - make us all proud to be Jayhawks. RCJH

jhox 1 year, 6 months ago

Ther is a much better written, but similar article in the Star this morning Bout Bradley McDougald being glad he picked KU, and it actually goes into detail.

Keith Hummel 1 year, 6 months ago

Every time I see this picture, with the NIU dorms in the background, I feel like I'm looking at a rec-league game. I know NIU has a decent program, but we lost to a team that had 18,000 fans in a setting that was more like an afternoon in the park than big-time football. Tomorrow's game in Snyder Stadium won't be quite so congenial. In that sense the K-State game will be our first true road test. I hope we're ready.

As for Kale Pick, you really can't say enough about the quality of this kids character and athleticism. He set 12 quarterback records at Dodge City High School, was all-state and all-conference, graduated High School early so he could participate in Spring Ball, patiently waited his turn at QB, got short-changed on his shot at QB, eagerly switched to receiver, worked his butt off, became our most complete and reliable receiver, and has been a model citizen and student in every possible way. I'm glad he picked KU also, as I can't imagine a better ambassador and role model for our University.

Janet Scott 1 year, 6 months ago

The largest drawback of the Ron Prince KSU recruitment pitch to Kale had to be Prince's statement that QBs at KSU were not exempt from being required to shovel a 1000 pounds of fresh manure per week, like all the other KSU students. Why didn't Keegan mention this?

amatxjayhawk 1 year, 6 months ago

I'm really glad Kale Pick chose KU. He's been a real asset to our football program.

I wish Tom Keegan had chosen the Saint Francis Herald.

79ictjhawk 1 year, 6 months ago

Is it just me, or does this story end a little too soon. After stating the negative things about the decline in the football program. Shouldn't there be a few words as to why he's glad he chose KU?