Friday, October 5, 2012

Keegan

Kale Pick glad he picked Kansas

A pass to Kale Pick falls just out of reach on a fourth-and-17 attempt in the second half of KU's 30-23 loss to the Northern Illinois Huskies on Saturday, Sept. 22, 2012, at Huskie Stadium in DeKalb, Ill.

Mention the name Kerry Meier to the average Kansas University football fan, and the image of No. 10 slipping behind the Missouri defense on a freelance pattern immediately surfaces, replete with snowflakes falling in Arrowhead Stadium and Todd Reesing lobbing him the game-winning touchdown pass.

Mention Kale Pick, and the image of No. 7 all alone near the end zone in DeKalb, Ill., comes to mind. That too was the game’s pivotal play as well as that of the first third of this KU football season, when quarterback Dayne Crist missed Pick for what would have been a 29-yard touchdown against Northern Illinois.

That Pick’s signature play bore no fruit is no fault of his and in a sense captures his college football career. Kansas has gone 11-29 in the four years Pick has played in games after spending his red-shirt season as a quarterback. Again, it’s not his fault. The former quarterback from Dodge City High has had a pretty decent career as a receiver.

He earned the starting job at quarterback as a third-year sophomore, but lost his job in the second half of the opener, never to regain it. The rap on him was that he couldn’t pull the trigger quickly enough, and he who hesitates at quarterback is lost. He became a reserve receiver later that season.

As a junior, Pick ranked second to D.J. Beshears in receptions (34) and receiving yards (437). Despite missing the TCU game with a knee injury, Pick leads KU with 148 receiving yards, edging Daymond Patterson (147), Andrew Turzilli (145) and Tony Pierson (135). Those four combined have not scored a touchdown. Tight ends Jimmay Mundine and Mike Ragone were on the receiving end of Crist’s two touchdown passes.

How did Pick get so wide-open against Northern Illinois anyway?

“We faked left, and the safety had his eyes on me, and I ran up at him pretty hard and just kind of acted like I was going to block him,” Pick said. “He bit on the run hard and went right past me.”

It didn’t work out. Pick will try to find the end zone against Kansas State, the school he always considered KU’s biggest rival, the school that tried to get him to decommit from Kansas after he already had decommitted from Arkansas.

“I was sold on KU, and I didn’t want any part of any other school, so I kind of cut him off early,” Pick said of former K-State coach Ron Prince.

Why Kansas?

“KU was doing well,” he said. “They just won the Orange Bowl. I really liked how things were going and where they were headed.”

Things quickly changed direction at both schools. Pick has played for Mark Mangino, Turner Gill and Charlie Weis. Bill Snyder is back at Kansas State. That’s not what Pick envisioned, but he doesn’t complain.

“I’m glad I chose here,” he said.

Comments

79ictjhawk 1 year, 12 months ago

Is it just me, or does this story end a little too soon. After stating the negative things about the decline in the football program. Shouldn't there be a few words as to why he's glad he chose KU?

actorman 1 year, 12 months ago

Good point. But then it seems to be how most of TK's columns end.

I'm often not as critical of him as a lot of others are, but he does seem to have a way of abruptly ending his columns without much of a resolution to them.

Ashwin Rao 1 year, 12 months ago

Agreed... plus the title only relates to the last 5 paras... other paragraphs are blah, blah, blah... Also, it tells why he picked KU, but not why he "still" is glad that he picked KU... Go figure.

NebraskaJayhawk 1 year, 12 months ago

Is there something wrong with honesty and truth? It's just how the story unfolded for him. I'm sure it's a bit bittersweet for him.

amatxjayhawk 1 year, 12 months ago

I'm really glad Kale Pick chose KU. He's been a real asset to our football program.

I wish Tom Keegan had chosen the Saint Francis Herald.

actorman 1 year, 12 months ago

Perhaps because he's too busy shoveling his own manure?

jhox 1 year, 12 months ago

Ther is a much better written, but similar article in the Star this morning Bout Bradley McDougald being glad he picked KU, and it actually goes into detail.

nuleafjhawk 1 year, 12 months ago

Fellow Jayhawks:

As I type this, it's about 27 1/2 hours before game time. We all know that the KSU trolls will show up on this site again today because........well, because that's what they do, I guess.

Here's my plea - we're all human beings, a lot of us are Kansans, let's not spend all of our precious time fighting and name calling. How about if we think of things that we can be thankful for, for our purple brothers and sisters?

I'll start with a few things - please be creative and feel free to help me out with this.

• 1) I'm very thankful to the KSU ranchers that sacrifice their family pets to put food on my table. I love pork chops.
  • 2) I'm thankful for the makers of white overalls, so that KSU brides have something appropriate to wear at their weddings.
  • 3) I'm thankful to Bill Snyder for being there to flip the switch when God said " Let there be light ".

Ok folks - make us all proud to be Jayhawks. RCJH

Bodonna 1 year, 12 months ago

4) Thankful Snyder will put in his second string quarterback before the end of the first half.

nuleafjhawk 1 year, 12 months ago

5) Thankful that someone finally played along. Thank you, Bodonna !

okiedave 1 year, 12 months ago

nuleafjhawk -- LOL. I respect Snyder and what he has done with the program at KSU, which is why I will be finishing my 2011 taxes during the game -- that way I get all my depressing stuff done at one time -- but ever hopeful for a huge upset and a refund.

Curtis Stutz 1 year, 11 months ago

I know I'm not getting a refund, but I'll be doing the same thing tomorrow. Still looking forward to finally getting both things out of the way though.

gchawk 1 year, 12 months ago

Kale, we're glad you "picked" KU too. Time for you, and the rest of the team, to have the game of your lives and kick some Wildcat tail, you can do it!

EightST8 1 year, 12 months ago

Being a student I can safely say that there isn't a more cocky person on this entire team. KP has done nothing his entire KU career and as a fan and student it's extremely disappointing. Then throwing in the fact that he's the biggest jerk on the entire team when guys who will actually be pros on this team(Hawkinson, Zlatnik, McDougal, Opurum ect.) are much better people. I really can't wait for this practice warrior to graduate to be honest

EightST8 1 year, 12 months ago

And 510 career receiving yards with 2 tds is pretty pedestrian for a guy getting this type of press

ahpersecoachingexperience 1 year, 12 months ago

$100 says KP (eh-hem) "dated" your girl.

EightST8 1 year, 12 months ago

Negative sir. Just observations I have made being around him for 4 years

KGphoto 1 year, 12 months ago

Uh, no. Kale stood her up. This is a broken-hearted cheerleader. How else does she know every player on the team?

EightST8 1 year, 12 months ago

Sheesh, how butt hurt over this are you? I actually live with 3 players and go out with them on a regular basis....besides right now, they aren't allowed. And to answer your question Bourbon is one of the nicest and humble dudes on the team.

ahpersecoachingexperience 1 year, 12 months ago

The use of the word "cocky" makes me thing cheerleader...But knowing KP's career stats makes me think it's a dude...Wait...I've got it...EightST8 is a...

Yell Leader

KGphoto 1 year, 12 months ago

Do you really know every player on the team? Sounds like "being a student" gives you a lot more access than I had back in the day.

Give me your impressions of a few more, because this is interesting. How about Ben Heeney? He looks kinda cocky to me. Oh, how about Bourbon. Lots of talent, it just hasn't panned out so far. Jerk, or cool?

Oh I could do this for days. Could you just list them out for us cuz I'm dying to know. (Name and #), then (Jerk/Cocky or Nice Guy), then (NFL or No NFL).

Thanks!

Jason Keller 1 year, 11 months ago

Isiah Barfield was a creep when he was here. Not to mention the single worst corner to ever play in the Big 12. Never seen a kid get beat so many times. The crazy part is that apparently he was incredibly fast. Like 4.3 fast.

Lucas Town 1 year, 12 months ago

How else do you expect KP to act? His dad is a chiropractor in Dodge City and they live in a huge red brick home just off of the country club in Dodge. KP has probably received everything he ever wanted growing up. His dad played at Iowa St. so he got the physical attributes from there. Dodge is a clicky town and they live on the hill.

Jason Keller 1 year, 11 months ago

It's a fact, unfortunately. I also went to school with him and even had 2 classes with him. He can defintely be a jerk but he isn't all the time. He just got a little caught up in being an athlete and all that. He'll straighten up when it all ends.

jhwk1427 1 year, 11 months ago

Do you know anyone on this team? They're all the same and of the ones you mentioned Kale is one of the nicer individuals.

Brak 1 year, 12 months ago

I'm totally shocked Keegs didn't go with the 'Kale glad he Picked KU' headline. How can you not love this kid, he came in and worked his butt off to be the successor to Reesing and when that didn't work out he worked his butt off to do whatever he could to help this team. I don't know him personally like Kay-St8 does above but what I do know is how he presented himself on the field of play and he played like a warrior.

MartyrMangino 1 year, 12 months ago

Two weeks ago, I had to suffer through our guys giving Lynch carte blanche for four quarters like he came in with the plague or something. A chance to hit the quarterback is a god-damned golden opportunity. You have to be foaming at the mouth to demolish him. I think our team is just beginning to tacklle like men, compared to the arm-tackling and ankle-grabbing we'd been seeing otherwise, though the problem has completely vanished. We need to turn the corner on Klein and put the fear of God into him. If he crumbles to the ground like Crist at the first sign of danger, friggin pile on! He isn't wearing all of those pads for show. Give him a reason. Get in his head. Rock god-damned Chalk!

Lucas Town 1 year, 12 months ago

I like were you are going with this, but OU didn't really scare him too badly, nor Miami for that matter. I think it would be safe to say, we need to play sound football and not worry about trying to scare one player. I don't even know if Klein can be rattled, from what I have read I think the only thing he fears is God. So watch your mouth please, ha.

John Mueller 1 year, 12 months ago

Really?

How this kind of language not get removed?

HeyMarty, it's Rock Chalk Jayhawk!!

C'mon bro!

We don't need that kind of language. Being a crude idiot doesn't help you tackle.

notjustbread 1 year, 12 months ago

Still trying to overcome his last name

MartyrMangino 1 year, 11 months ago

All I can say is if we come out with the mentality of jaykan7, springtxhawk, and notjustbread, we're liable to put a Turner Gill score up out there.

Lucas Town 1 year, 11 months ago

Why because we called you out for your language? I think you can get your point across without using that particular phrase. RCJH

MartyrMangino 1 year, 11 months ago

You know who else didn't allow cussing?

dhinkansas 1 year, 11 months ago

Roy Williams didn't allow cussing dad gummit.

Jason Keller 1 year, 11 months ago

A Turner Gill score? I didn't know Turner Gill teams ever scored...

Brian Leiker 1 year, 11 months ago

21 last year....want to wager on if Weis the great offensive mind puts up 21?

MartyrMangino 1 year, 11 months ago

If you're going to insinuate Turner Gill is a better coach than Charlie Weis, just be open about it so we can ignore you completely in the future.

wats211 1 year, 11 months ago

Go Pick...we all like what you bring to the team...but you can get better...and I know you will read this....we need you to get better...period!

pizzashuttle 1 year, 11 months ago

Pick.....picked Kansas. I've got this great idea for a game. It's called "Jump to Conclusions" and you actually jump!