Thursday, October 4, 2012

Sunflower snapshots: Missouri’s departure for the SEC has sharpened the focus for KU on its other big rival

Though the Sunflower Showdown has seen some extremes even in just the past few years — like the then-record 51,821 fans in Memorial Stadium in 2006 (top left), to the turnout that dwindled to a mere handful at the end last season (top right) — one constant is the sea of purple (in 2009, main photo above) in Manhattan. There were a few jubilant KU fans in Manhattan for a 30-24 Kansas win in 2007 (lower left). In 2004, the Jayhawk faithful tore down the goal posts after a 31-28 Kansas victory in Lawrence (middle right), but the K-State backers made themselves at home at Memorial Stadium after the Wildcats’ 59-7 win in 2010 in Lawrence (bottom right).

photo

There are 24 native Kansans on the Kansas University football roster and several other players who have been in town long enough to understand the significance of the annual Sunflower Showdown between KU and K-State.

But perhaps the biggest indication that the rivalry has reached a higher level this year than in years past is the way the newcomers talked about it this week.

“Since I got here in June, I’ve gained these relationships with these guys, and I’ve felt how they’ve felt,” said senior tight end Mike Ragone, a native of Blackwood, N.J. “This is a very personal game, so once I started figuring that out, it got very personal for me, as well. I’m here. I’m KU. I’m not New Jersey right now.”

Although the game, which has been played 109 times dating back to 1902, always has had special meaning — particularly to the Kansans on both rosters — it has taken on new importance in 2012, with KU’s most bitter rival, Missouri, now playing in the SEC. The Jayhawks, new and old, have embraced the new approach, and first-year KU coach Charlie Weis has made sure of that.

“I think it feels a little different,” KU senior receiver Daymond Patterson said. “They (the Wildcats) were always a big rivalry, and we knew that, but at the end of the year we knew we always had Mizzou. Now this is the game.”

While Saturday’s contest — 11 a.m. at Bill Snyder Family Stadium in Manhattan — will mark his final shot at the Wildcats, Patterson said he appreciated the new approach, given that he believed the Sunflower Showdown was underplayed a little during his first four years in town.

“In past years, it was a big game,” Patterson said. “But it was nowhere near as big as what the KU-Mizzou game was.”

In fact, Patterson remembered having to be set straight about the rivalry hierarchy early on in his KU career.

“When I first got here, I was like, ‘That’s not our rival?’ And people would say, ‘Nah, it’s Missouri,’” he recalled. “So it’s kind of confusing when you first get here. But we’re moving on to this, and we’re gonna make this the big game. Now that coach Weis is here and Missouri’s gone, he sees how important this is. We’re not overlooking this game.”

This year’s KU squad features several people who have experience in some of the greatest rivalries in football. From Notre Dame-USC in the college ranks to Kansas City-Oakland in the professional ranks, those past battles have aided the new guys in their attempt to help bring the KU-KSU showdown to new heights. Earlier this week, a few of them shared their favorite rivalry memories.

“Oh, gosh, Cowboys-Redskins is probably the biggest one,” defensive coordinator and former Dallas Cowboys head coach Dave Campo said. “There’s no love lost for anybody there, and I’d like to see this one be that way all the time. I’m not sure that’s been the case over the years.”

Added offensive line coach Tim Grunhard, who played college ball at Notre Dame and professionally in Kansas City: “Notre Dame-USC, Notre Dame-Michigan and, with the Chiefs, the Raider rivalry. They’re always special games. And the reason why they’re a rivalry is (a) proximity and (b) because something really strange happens like a big upset or a great, close game.”

For Ragone, that something strange came back in middle school, when he switched squads to avoid playing on the offensive line.

“I played all my old friends,” he said. “But we still went to the same middle school, and it was havoc. Bragging rights, everything. And I put a whuppin’ on ’em. It was awesome. I’ve been in some big games, but I am really, really looking forward to this. We’re pumped. We’re really ready to get this going.”

Ragone said he was thrilled that Saturday’s game was scheduled to kick off so early because it limited the amount of time the Jayhawks would have to wait. He said the team spent the bulk of its off week focusing on K-State and has turned things up a notch this week. At the start of Wednesday’s practice, Weis instructed staffers to play the K-State fight song on a loop for 5-10 minutes so his players would get sick of hearing it.

“No. 7 in the country, their place, 11 o’clock in the morning,” Ragone said. “We’re ready. If you can’t get motivated for this game, then you shouldn’t be playing football.”

Comments

Hurinfan 1 year, 12 months ago

Eff Mizzou I don't care about KSU. My hatred and real rivalry will always be against Mizzou.

KCJay 1 year, 12 months ago

KU-KSU is an intrastate rivalry. It always has been. However, we're on the same side when it comes to mizzery. We left that slave state and came to the great FREE state of KANSAS. We're all part of that transition! In fact, I pull for them when we aren't playing them. I rooted for them against OU and I will be on their side when they play Texas. Our biggest rivalry in basketball is Texas. I'm not feeling that innate hatred like that of mizzery. I hope the media doesn't try to create one. Let it be what it is and not try to make it something it isn't. The media destroyed the rivalries and now they are feeling guilty and are trying to fabricate new ones. They don't know the first thing about what a true rivalry is. Time and history creates rivalries!

Curtis Stutz 1 year, 12 months ago

I guess I don't mind the idea of KU-KSU being a big football rivalry, but Weis has his work cut out to make that happen and I'd still rather have a win over Texas or OU than KSU in football. Looking more and more like Baylor in basketball. I actually would have liked for it to become a basketball rivalry, as in KSU staying at the level they were at a couple years ago, but now with Weber hired I just want KSU to be horrible. In that case it still won't be a rivalry, 'cause KU will dominate too much to make it a rivalry.

Steve_Jobs 1 year, 12 months ago

They hate us though; It's just not a returned hate...which spurns them again at the end of the day.

ku_foaf 1 year, 12 months ago

This is common in the Big 12, present and former... What is Texas' big rival? OU What is A&M's big rival? UT What is TTU's big rival? A&M What is OU's big rival? Texas What is OSU's big rival? OU What is KU's big rival? MU What is KSU's big rival? KU

I guess KU and MU were like OU and UT, at least they agreed they were the big rivals!

ku_foaf 1 year, 12 months ago

You may want to check (but maybe you have) on claims that your family lived in KS and fought against the Bushwhackers. A LOT of us would be surprised where the families were at in 1860, because a great deal were in...yep...Missouri. I found relatives named after Missouri Civil War era politicians.

BleedCnB 1 year, 12 months ago

Nobody can hate little brother as much as Meth_zuo.......K-Suck fan can claim they are a rival, but reality smacks the goat lovers in the face once again.

Brak 1 year, 12 months ago

Damn NJ that's cold, no need to talk about their cheerleaders like that. :)

sporty 1 year, 12 months ago

Your players pants will be full of that fresh-stuff after the game.

Andy Tweedy 1 year, 12 months ago

I just don't hate these guys! I don't like them, but I really don't hate them. Misery on the other hand...OMG, I hate those dude!!!!

Robert Brock 1 year, 12 months ago

When will KU be on par with K-State in football? I will guess the year - 2028. Bet on it.

kfluke 1 year, 12 months ago

You have lost your mind if you think this!!

Steve_Jobs 1 year, 12 months ago

Snyder will be looooooong gone in 2028....

actorman 1 year, 12 months ago

If you're right and KSUck wins the next 16 games, that means they'll only be trailing KU by 10 in the overall series.

Mike Barnhart 1 year, 12 months ago

I don't hate Silo Tech! I don't hate sh*t kickers! I don't hate purple! I don't hate Keitzman! I HATE GETTING HUMILIATED BY AN INFERIOR INSTITUTION!!!

It's wrong! We're Jayhawks! We've got to get this under control!

Bradly Moore 1 year, 12 months ago

You guys that put so much on the Mizzou game are the reason we have been dominated by them for the last 20 years. Would rather beat the belt buckles than mizzou any day.

Cody Stumma 1 year, 12 months ago

I'd rather just beat them both.

Steve_Jobs 1 year, 12 months ago

I don't think we're the reason we've been losing... What years were you on the team?

MartyrMangino 1 year, 12 months ago

NebraskaJayhawk: "Beat Klein...you beat K-State."

Take the fugger out!

NebraskaJayhawk 1 year, 12 months ago

haha

Recipe for victory...hit Klein late out of bounds and in the process taking Snyder down with him. Then grind Snyder's false teeth into the turf. Repeat until sideline is red with blood.

Steve_Jobs 1 year, 12 months ago

No need to rob Snyder of his remaining months on earth....

kfluke 1 year, 12 months ago

K-State would beat you by 20 with the backup QB they have!

Robert Brown 1 year, 12 months ago

My take on the rivalries:

K-State- little brother- I want to beat him when I play him, but want him to do well otherwise, as long as it does not adversely impact KU.

Missouri- the loud mouth annoying jerk- I always want to beat him and always cheer against him. Do not want him to ever be successful unless it helps us, like maybe beating Texas in basketball when KU and UT are in a tight conference race.

Texas- arrogant and obnoxious- love to see them fall and give K-State credit for dominating them in football. I don't think KU has ever beaten UT in the Big 12 era. Paradoxially, I blame them as much for the instability of the conference than anyone but they are also the reason the conference is now in good shape. I have sometimes cheered for MU over UT.

Other members of the Big 12 do not register as a rival. We have a history with OU, OSU and ISU. All three have had short periods of being a rival in basketball. OU hardly recognizes KU as a football opponent and OSU and ISU were always afterthought in football in the Big 8 and Big 12, notwithstanding OSU's recent success

Robert Brown 1 year, 12 months ago

They were never able to break the 25-30 year OU-NU stranglehold on Big 8 football. OSU and CU were generally competing to be the third best team in the conference in the 70s and 80s.

nckujayhawk 1 year, 12 months ago

The KU-MU rivalry is dead! You can't have a rivalry with an opponent you don't play. The KU KSU rivalry needs to become more important in the minds of all jayhawks. Healthy rivalry games generate attention that goes beyond the field and court. They create a lore, passion and tradition of which fans, media, and recruits want to be involved. KU-MU is over. KU needs a new rival, and something to get excited and care about or nobody will care at all.

Tony Bandle 1 year, 12 months ago

Interesting facts: Overall record, Kansas leads 64-40-5. Kansas has winning records on both fields, although only by a couple of games at KSU. * In the last eight years, the record is 4-4.

Not so interesting facts: In the last 21 years, Kansas State is up 16-5 over Kansas. KSU has won the last 3 in a row. * The average score for the last three seasons has been 44-13 [Ouch!!]

Miracles happen, but I am afraid the Jayhawks didn't make it over to France to dip their toes in the miracle waters of Lourdes, so it could be a long afternoon.....yet, anything can happen. Just ask the '69 Baltimore Orioles, the '80 USSR Olympic Hockey Team or the Super III Baltimore Colts. [Wow, Baltimore had a bad four months!!]

Tony Bandle 1 year, 12 months ago

Errata; make that 10 months :)

741hawk 1 year, 12 months ago

It will never be the same. Dad taught me . . . We are all Kansans. We only root against KSU when we are playing them. We hope Missouri loses EVERY game!

actorman 1 year, 12 months ago

I'm sure folks get it; they just don't care.

It makes perfect sense that the vastly inferior institution would be jealous and hate and envy the superior place. But it's hard to summon up hatred for a place that's beneath us in virtually every sense of the word (Snyder's football program notwithstanding).

pocorio 1 year, 12 months ago

If KU played Haskill this weekend KU would be a strong three point favorate but the smart money would take Haskill and the three points. I think it will be a basketball score like 42 zip KSU.

Yakihawk 1 year, 12 months ago

42-0 may be the end result, but it is amusing that 42 is basketball score to you.

actorman 1 year, 12 months ago

Perhaps pocorio meant to say a "basket ball" score, as in something from 1923.

Reuben_J_Cogburn 1 year, 12 months ago

These people are pure evil and have unwaivering hatred for us.

I don't care about our record, failures or incompetancies. Give them all they can handle and more. Win or lose...make them earn it. And any of you that fell off the HCCW bandwagon, dig deep and remember why you're a Jayhawk in the first place.

Don't lose hope. Don't give up. And remember, regardless of the odds, the pressure is all on KState. We have nothing to lose, and that makes us dangerous.

KGphoto 1 year, 12 months ago

Uh, do you thing Mitch Holthus thought it was a big win? Good lord I'd forgotten how bad it was in Manhattan before Snyder. You'da thought they just beat the New York Yankees in game 7.

As far as the goal post goes, there are two words that would've made this whole thing easier to swallow.

Tear Gas.

Hank Cross 1 year, 11 months ago

That still doesn't make up for the damage we inflicted on the Little Horseapple in the Aggieville riots in the 80s.

Micky Baker 1 year, 12 months ago

Just a bit of Big 12 News. TCU QB Pachall has been indefinitely suspended from playing football at TCU for DWI on October 3rd, 2012. This is his second run in with team violations. Last year Pachall failed a drug test after the investigation into several players dealing illegal substances and Pachall admitted to smoking Marijuana.

Patrick Leiker 1 year, 12 months ago

Well, I guess KSU is our rival now. Goddamnit Missouri.

scraptown 1 year, 12 months ago

Kansas state university is the older institution, so it's not technically the little brother.

Reuben_J_Cogburn 1 year, 12 months ago

Little Brother...as in the inferior brother, who complains about not being noticed and picks fights to prove his worth.

Reuben_J_Cogburn 1 year, 12 months ago

I could get on board with that. I mean, if we're going for accuracy...

nuleafjhawk 1 year, 12 months ago

That works very well. You could also include hayseed, hillbilly, cow-chip chuckin, overall wearin, barefoot, inbred neighbors to the west. Just sayin.

Tony Bandle 1 year, 12 months ago

I think that the memories of Missouri will fade with time as the encounters with Kansas State continue and therefore proportionally intensify, especially as new KU classes come and go without the actual contact with Missouri.

Missouri will always be Enemy Number One in absentia but Kansas State will grow to be Enemy Number One[A}.......just wait and watch!!!

Mangino_Maniac 1 year, 12 months ago

Does Ragone have to be mentioned and/or quoted in every other football article?

Mike Barnhart 1 year, 12 months ago

Those posters that "root" for KSU except when they play KU are PART OF THE PROBLEM! You can't do that and here's why; Let's say KU beats K-State this weekend but goes 2-9 this season. In turn, KSU finishes the season 11-1 and wins a BCS championship! Is that good? Are you HAPPY! Heck no!!!

Any success KSU has just puts us further behind in the battle for Kansas. Shame on you if you wish them well ... EVER!

actorman 1 year, 12 months ago

Sorry, jjjjjhok, but I disagree with you. I'd take a KSUck championship in a second over any of those SEC "institutions of higher learning" (although it would end one of our enjoyable put-downs of KSUck over the fact that they've never won a championship in anything).

KGphoto 1 year, 12 months ago

It's never gonna be Ohio State v Michigan okay? There is nothing wrong with that, and those of us who recognize it aren't shameful. Get over it.

scraptown 1 year, 12 months ago

The brotherhood if these schools is like Tom Cruise (kansas state) and Dustin Hoffman (KU) In the movie rainman. Sure, Hoffman's character is good at one thing, but has no earthly idea how to do anything else, cannot function outside of his comfort sone, and is obnoxious.

Reuben_J_Cogburn 1 year, 12 months ago

And besides football in the past two decades...Kstate has historically done nationally well in.....(fill in the blank).

Regardless of your reply...not much merit to your logic, son.

nuleafjhawk 1 year, 12 months ago

RJC - in all fairness, they have done relatively well in Livestock Judging.

Them K-State boys KNOW their cows.

Benjamin Piehler 1 year, 12 months ago

We're a national brand homie. And actually, our non-revenue sports are doing quite well. Perhaps it is you who is only good at one thing?

And this must be the first time in over a decade anyone has willingly compared themselves to Tom Cruise, haha.

nuleafjhawk 1 year, 12 months ago

Don't forget - Tom Cruise is a narcissistic ( for the K-State weasles, it basically means "vain". And THAT word means that you think way more of yourself than you really should. Oh yeah - K-State people probably are familiar with those words), short, big-nosed psychopath who nobody outside of his agent gives a crap about.

Interesting that you should compare yourselves to him........

offline 1 year, 12 months ago

Kansas ST. will grind KU into the ground like they usually do, then coverup the hole. Don't look now but, KST. is putting a good one on KU in basketball.

Benjamin Piehler 1 year, 12 months ago

Surely you meant baseball.... because KState won't beat KU for years with Turner Gill coaching their basketball team.

actorman 1 year, 12 months ago

That's not fair to TG; he never had a mock funeral for Mangino.

scraptown 1 year, 12 months ago

Just helping you develop your rivalry hatred, but seriously, k-state fans,and all college sports fans view ku as a one trick pony, a very loud one trick pony. Also, k-state had the most profitable athletic department in the nation last year and dominated ku at all sports except basketball, which they split. So chill out, the game will be here soon, we're all looking forward to it.

Patrick Leiker 1 year, 12 months ago

Congrats on paying your coaches squat and making a profit because of it. How'd that work out with your basketball coach?

scraptown 1 year, 12 months ago

Money is not why Martin left.

Reuben_J_Cogburn 1 year, 12 months ago

You failed to fill in the blank. How many tricks does the Kstate pony have?

I'm confused. Ohhhhhh, wait. Forgot about about that magical Elite 8 run a few years back. That makes Kstate at least a two-trick pony correct?

Well, geez. By that logic, sir, since KU won a BCS bowl game, we must be a two-trick pony as well.

If you would just answer the question instead of bombarding opposing message boards with nonsensical rants, it would save me the trouble of posting ridiculous "reducto ad absurdum" retorts on your end of the conversation.

You see, I can be an idiot too. Good work.

Benjamin Piehler 1 year, 12 months ago

It's cute when people try to speak for "all of college sports fans". Speaking of, did you know that all college sports fans say your mom makes terrible lasagna??

It's also hilariously ironic you would call anyone loud when you are here, on our board... Being loud.

offline 1 year, 12 months ago

Not bad, scraptown, not bad.

Curtis Stutz 1 year, 12 months ago

In basketball KU needs a consistent OOC rival, someone like UCLA. In general though I'd love to see KU playing UCLA home and home or neutral in Vegas or in different venues, something along those lines every year. Obviously it'd be nice to go back to an annual game against UK, but probably not gonna happen. Another team it'd be interesting to start home and homes with is NC State. They are on the up and up, and forming a rivalry with them would help open up NC to recruiting. I also doubt Duke and UNC would be happy about NC St having the draw of an annual game against KU. If Baylor can keep up the recruiting and start challenging for Big12 titles maybe a rivalry will develop. If Texas can put together some more good years the foundation is there for bball rivalry.

Stephen Johnson 1 year, 12 months ago

I don't hate K-State. I cheered for them against OU. I can never cheer for MU. Never. I do get sick of some KSU fans, but like an obnoxious little brother. I want us to win, but not as passionately as I want to beat MU if and when we face them

nuleafjhawk 1 year, 12 months ago

I have the same basic sentiment, except I don't have a little brother so I don't get that part.

I have no problem with the city of Manhattan, Bill Snyder or the team, but I do get sick of their ignorant and arrogant " fans ", who conveniently forget that they've been getting their a$$ handed to them on a platter for 80+ years by us, only having success against us for the past 20.

That's it for me - their fans. They're not as hateful or as hated as Mizzou scum, but equally stupid. But I mean that in the nicest, most brotherly kind of way.

Bradly Moore 1 year, 12 months ago

K state is a no trick pony. As in no national championships in anything. And ONE conference championship doesn't make you a powerhouse. EIGHT in a row, perhaps, but one, give me a break.

Benjamin Piehler 1 year, 12 months ago

They have football, we have basketball. Neither of us are particularly strong in other areas... Ergo, if we are a one trick pony, so are they. Their hoops team has just finished their "Mangino" era, and will likely sink back to mediocrity... Exactly where our football team is now.

The one trick pony comment honestly does not compute anyway; it's almost a compliment. KState has had a great few years in football... but they are nowhere near the upper echelons with USC, Bama, Michigan and the other blue bloods.

texashawk10 1 year, 12 months ago

At least KSUck will always have EcoKat!

scraptown 1 year, 12 months ago

K-state won the fiesta bowl before the bcs when there was 1 less major bowl played, so it was harder to get in, harder to win; your bcs argument holds no water. K-state has no team national championships. I think the most important part, and the part you guys are missing, is you can't rival K-state, K-state is your idol, what you aspire to be, your own coach Weiss said it himself, and I think we can all agree his words mean more than any of ours.

texashawk10 1 year, 12 months ago

Where is KSU's advantage in football?

All time head to head- KU All time wins- KU All time conference titles- KU Major bowl wins- tied Major bowl appearances- KU All time bowl wins- tied

Also, who is Weiss? So again, where is KSU's advantage because I fail to see it?

Reuben_J_Cogburn 1 year, 12 months ago

You have to be joking. I mean...that's the only feasible explanation.

The only other possible explanations are you're ten years old, a high-school drop out, or mentally disabled.

Otherwise, no rational human being could believe what you just wrote. I pity you, sir, regardless of the reasoning behind your thought processes.

texashawk10 1 year, 12 months ago

I'm not going to get into whether or marijuana should be legalized because it's not happening anytime soon and the Misery players were just stupid for doing it in a parking lot at night with the windows rolled up. I would be curious though as to how a college athlete came to be driving a Lincoln Navigator because unless it's about 10 years old, there's no way a college kid should be able to afford one on the up and up.

jhawkrulz 1 year, 12 months ago

They wear man-pink, isnt' that embarrassing enough.

KU's ONLY rival is Missouri...the purple headed stepchild is just a nuisance, who has lost more games than any other division I football team in history.

jhawkrulz 1 year, 12 months ago

Sorry...the hoosiers passed them up...they have the second to the most losses now. At least Indiana has basketball.

Reuben_J_Cogburn 1 year, 12 months ago

Scraptown,

I understand what you're doing. Trying to get a rise out of KU fans before your Superbowl on Saturday.

We get it...and it's adorable.

But as I mentioned above, no argument you've made is even close to accurate or sensible. The KU BCS game argument you refereneced was actually sarcasm in response to your "one trick pony" remark. And throughout K-State's "Decade of Dominance," with the exception of a couple of bowl wins (which KU matched in the 2000's), the only thing K-State fans have to obsess about and hang their hats on is the 2003 Big XII Championship.

Congrats. You won the conference. You're elite. Even more elite than KU winning 8 consecutive in basketball. Other than that...list me your biggest accomplishments in the past two decades.

I will admit, KU is nowhere close to a football powerhouse or even a contender, but historically, KState is one of the worst that has ever existed...ever. One man comes along and changes that, but he also proved, during the Ron Prince era, KState football cannot survive without him.

And unless you discovered the secret to prolonged life in one of KState's livestock pavilions, you may have a little succession plan problem. I suggest you go back to GoPowerCat.com and leave us be, Win or lose on Saturday, we have no inflated sense of where we stand in the collegiate althletics world.

Wildcat fans, on the other hand, have toiled tooth and nail for the better part of a century trying to grasp relevance. One of the saddest things I have ever seen, rivaled only by the pathetic existence of Missouri fans.

scraptown 1 year, 12 months ago

At least you're right about that first thing my ruebenesque friend! See you powerhouses of collegiate athletics on Saturday.

actorman 1 year, 12 months ago

"We get it...and it's adorable."

Classic, Reuben!

scraptown 1 year, 12 months ago

Nike Cortez pulled out the "cute" comment in the mismatched article. I'm going to say Texashawk was close enough to his comment to justify a charge of plagiarism.

scraptown 1 year, 12 months ago

“I don’t want every Kansas fan to be mad at me, but it’s a pretty good role model,” Weis said. “Everyone wants to look at it different than that, but from my perspective, they’re doing a lot of things right.”

texashawk10 1 year, 12 months ago

That horse you're beating dead yet? This is at least the third time I've seen you post almost this exact same thing.

scraptown 1 year, 12 months ago

Didn't know if you had read that, what weis said… about K-state… being your role model, just not sure if … uh… not sure if you had read that, or heard it, on the old boob tube, or wireless radio. You seem uninformed, just wanted to, you know… help out.

texashawk10 1 year, 12 months ago

How is KState my role model? I was unaware that Charlie Weis spoke for me or for any individual fan.

scraptown 1 year, 12 months ago

Your probably right, you seem, like, really super smart, probably know more than ol' weis, I truly believe that, ku probably would have done better to hire you.

Reuben_J_Cogburn 1 year, 12 months ago

I admit the irony in asking this (in that I'm on here to), but what the heck, I'll ask it anyways.

Don't you have anything better to do?

I mean, it's after sundown. Aren't you supposed to be lighting a candle at the foot of your Snyder Shrine? Sacrificing a can of Ensure and perhaps some Super Beta Prostate?

He's getting to that age, and the fate of your entire world rests in his health.

And give my respects to the fat, white trash, Keystone-masked symbol of all it means to be a Wildcat.

scraptown 1 year, 12 months ago

Ok, so you read it… great. Just making sure… you know, about the K-state is ku's role model, like I said no biggie, we'll see you Goliaths of sport, you gods of competition, you, dare I say, most beloved of all university institutions in the entirety of your own minds, at 11 am Saturday.

Reuben_J_Cogburn 1 year, 12 months ago

Only the most delusional KU fans believe we'll win, or that we're even close to the upper tier of college football...perhaps even the middle tier of college football.

But you're right. We will see you...you Sultans of insecurity, kings of conference championships (one), most glorified of all historical underachievers in everyone's minds, at 11am Saturday.

And in case you were wondering my prediction...KU will lose this game in what will be nothing more than a stat-padding scrimmage for KState.

But know this, brother. Regardless of what transpires on Saturday morning, your beloved, "storied" program is on borrowed time. When the great coach leaves for good, mediocrity has a warm seat prepared for you. That 2005-2007 stretch was just a glimpse of things to come for your classy Catbackers.

So I congratulate you in advance for the win on October 6, 2012. And my advice is to cherish it from start to finish. Because I guarantee you that every down, every snap, every split-second of every game is one step closer to returning to the days when your proud EMAW nation was nothing more than a national ag-school laughing stock.

Thank you for your persistence, and have a fantastic weekend.

scraptown 1 year, 11 months ago

That may be true, it may not, can only wait and see, but I'd rather be successfull today and unsure of tomorrow than unsuccessful today and unsuccessful tomorrow.

Tony Bandle 1 year, 11 months ago

scraptown..no sarcasm or trick question...your team is great, we are not..your coach is great, ours has yet to prove it. Your coach is 72. Is he mentoring a successor off the current staff or will you guys have to go out and bring in fresh blood?

Just curious.

scraptown 1 year, 11 months ago

That's the question, I think Snyder wants his son to take over, that would concern me, I would expect a former Snyder assistant, Jim Leavitt is a popular rumor.