Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Keegan

Weis, KU face huge mismatch at KSU

Kansas State football coach Bill Snyder, when pressed Monday, revealed more than he usually does during the weekly Big 12 conference call.

Much to his doctor’s chagrin, Snyder said, he eats just one meal a day. It’s very late at night, and sometimes it’s at Taco Bell. You could almost hear Snyder biting his tongue. Clearly, he wished he hadn’t given the opposition so much with which to work.

No matter. Kansas University coach Charlie Weis didn’t send a tape of Snyder’s revelations to scientists so that they could study how greasy food might influence play-calling. Secrecy isn’t the issue in Saturday’s mismatch of a Big 12 game. Everything else is the issue.

“This is not a trickery-and-deceit team,” Weis said of the Wildcats, who really do need to change their nickname to Powercats. “They’re going to smash it down your throat. And you better be ready to tackle both the quarterback and the running back because they’re going to have the ball in their hands a whole bunch of times in the game, and that’s what we’re up against.”

The quarterback, 6-foot-5, 226-pound senior Collin Klein from Loveland, Colo., reminds Weis a little of former Florida star and current New York Jets lightning rod Tim Tebow. The running back, 5-7, 191-pound junior John Hubert from Waco, Texas, makes Weis think of Joe Morris, the former Syracuse University and New York Giants fire hydrant of a highlight tape.

Hubert has rushed for more than 100 yards in three of the ’Cats’ four games and averages 6.5 yards a carry.

Starting with Klein and Hubert and continuing through every other aspect of Snyder’s fourth team since he returned from a three-year retirement he regretted days into it, optimism for KU is impossible to find.

Beginning in the 2010 season, the Wildcats are 12-0 in home games against unranked opponents.

Weis has studied numbers for his own team, such as third-and-long, of which there figure to be many Saturday.

“We’re third and 10, it’s not a good situation for the good guys,” Weis said. “Not a good situation. Tells you don’t be third and 10.”

Eight snaps have come at that down and distance and Kansas has net yardage of minus-8 on the eight passing plays. Quarterback Dayne Crist is 1-for-6 for 12 yards and has been sacked twice for a loss of 20 yards.

In the 16 plays that led to the depressing down and distance, Crist is 0-for-11. Five running plays netted no gain.

As for KU’s greatest strength so far, forcing turnovers (13 in four games), that’s close to irrelevant. Apple turnovers aren’t on the Taco Bell menu. Four weeks into it, KSU has three turnovers.

For more encouraging numbers, research your chances of winning the $50 million Powerball jackpot.

Comments

wats211 1 year, 6 months ago

Where's John Zook....Vernon Vanoy and Emory Hicks ...when you need them.....block and tackle well and we can beat k-state..they are playing good ball...but they weren't picked to win the league...there is no reason to fear them.....we can do this....and everyone get those tickets for O-state next weekend.....get behind these guys

offline 1 year, 6 months ago

By these boards, everyone has a lot respect for Kansas ST. and the great Bill Snyder. Kansas ST. is the flag ship of Kansas. Great to see that KU has that much respect for KST.

Dale Stringer 1 year, 6 months ago

I don't see why everyone is ragging on the defense so bad. They are not great by any means but not as bad as everyone seems to think. I think they've done pretty good for as much time as they have spent on the field the last two games. TCU and NIU are both top-50 scoring teams and we held them to below their season averages. I'll even say we held TCU to way below their average since the ref gave them a touchdown opportunity after we stopped them on one drive.

hammerhawk 1 year, 6 months ago

Yeah, kaystate will win on Saturday but I still hate 'em and I hate musucks and don't like nebraska either. But I love the mighty Kansas Jayhawks and I believe that Charlie can put together a team that can go back to beating kaystate year after year. I always thought that finding diamonds in the rough (i.e. overlooked JR College players) was a smart way to go for teams like KU. Dang it, kaystate figured it out first. Go Hawks.

mikehawk 1 year, 6 months ago

Let's face reality. The best we can hope for is to keep the score respectable, play smart, turnover free football, and execute fundamentals with intense competition for all 4 quarters. Coaches will tell you every time there are no moral victories in the context of a loss. Privately, they would tell you they'd love to achieve a "moral victory" on Saturday.

danmoore 1 year, 6 months ago

Give me time and I'll learn to hate KSU.

texashawk10 1 year, 6 months ago

Safe sex at KSU means marking the sheep that kick!

HAWKS1 1 year, 6 months ago

I too hate KSUcks and Mr. Personality that coaches them. Part of Snyder's success comes from his recruiting juco players that no other school is allowed (internal admittance requirements) to because KSU has lower academic entrance requirements. Those same players are often "known trouble makers" that the quality schools avoid. Snyder just tries to keep them under control and when one does get into trouble, he responds "it will be handled internally". No repercussions ever occur and there is never any followup by the KSU adoring press. The offenses that resulted in Weis dismissing kids from the KU team would have been swept under the rug at KSU and the kids would not have missed a single game. imho of course.

Nicholas Cederlind 1 year, 6 months ago

For the life of me I will never understand Keegan's articles. One day, an article says we're supposed to hope against the odds that we'll win, the next day we get an article that tells us how we have no shot.

Ralster Jayhawk 1 year, 6 months ago

Bottom line: we are 4 games removed from the most dreadful 2 seasons under the previous staff. Progress takes time.

Tony Bandle 1 year, 6 months ago

Success breeds success..look at our basketball program. Overall, in a way, each coach improved on his predecessor.

We need to start building that coaching chain of success in football as well. Charlie is laying the foundation, but it will be someone else who puts us over the top...and there may be several other coaches in between.

Saturday could be ugly, but all I can ask is that the Jayhawks play as hard as they can for the entire game.

nuleafjhawk 1 year, 6 months ago

As Barry Switzer said, "It's not about the X's and O's, but the Jimmy and Joe's".

Ever notice that the coaches who say things like that usually have gaudy winning percentages, multiple All-Americans, many Bowl wins and a National Championship (or 2, or 3.....) ??

( I swear I'm hitting the "reply" thing, but it's not working out too well for me today - anyway, that was in response to RCJhawks' last post)

Stephen Johnson 1 year, 6 months ago

Look. KS has talent. The juco players KSU gets were often 4 star players coming out of high school. Hubert broke Tomlinson's rushing records in Waco. Arthur Brown was the #1 ranked player in the nation, coming out of high school. Snyder does a great job of coaching, but I don't want to hear that he takes non-talented players and develops them into stars.

gchawk 1 year, 6 months ago

The "mismatch" is more about a mismatch of confidence rather than talent. We've been on the wrong end of some huge upsets over the past few years, albeit in basketball, it would sure be nice to be the recipient of an upset for a change, it could happen (please, no monkey analogies) .

Terran Woolley 1 year, 6 months ago

Article inaccuracy.....Bill Snyder has to be fed ground up infants hearts at midnight to keep him alive. I was told this by someone who works in their athletic department.

JJHawq 1 year, 6 months ago

for some reason - the whole "re-alignment" thing kind of brought out my state pride. I'm with a lot of the other posters. what WAS hatred as a youngster has evolved into respect and even a little bit of wanting to see them do well.

It also helps that I live out of state (socal) - your state pride kicks in when you don't live around KSU fans, who can be intolerable (just like KU fans).

That being said - I would LOVE to ruin their "national championship hopes" and sneak out of Manhatten with a W. KICK THEIR ASS!!!

notjustbread 1 year, 6 months ago

how does Manhattan get good recruits again?

Keith Hummel 1 year, 6 months ago

Man, I really hope none of our football players read these comments. What a defeatist attitude. How do you folks expect the athletes to believe in themselves if we don't believe in them?

Enough with the pansy talk. I don't give a rip about Snyder's legendary status, or K-Suck's record or ranking. This Is A Rivalry dangit! K-State CAN be beat, and we have to start by beating them up. Anything can happen in this game, and will happen if we have the right attitude.

You can't win anything from a bent-over position. Stop bending over and kissing Snyder's behind. Stop expecting and accepting defeat. Don't give them the win before the game has even started.

Robert Brown 1 year, 6 months ago

I am going to predict that KSU does not lay 50 on us like they did the last two years. I could see a 35-7 final. Back to the rivalry. We are in the Big 12, who is your second favorite team in the Big 12? Mine is Kansas State. Over the last 25 years, KU may have had 8 seasons worth following so I also cheer for K-State. Who else in the Big 12 is worthy of rooting for? I live in Texas, so there is no way I could ever cheer for arrogant UT. I don't think Baylor and TCU belong in the conference. My wife is a Tech grad, so I do like them!! I will always take OU over UT, and NU for that matter when I was in school, but I was elated they were beaten by KSU and I still remember KSU beating them in the Big 12 championship game in 2003 as a great game. I don't dislike ISU and OSU but they have always been in the background.

Maybe it's an out of state thing. There are so many negative perceptions of Kansas, that anything positive tied to the state is something you want to embrace.

ccarp 1 year, 6 months ago

I'd like to see a heavy dose of the run game. Pound with Cox and Bourbon, strike with Pierson and Sims. I think maintaining possession and dominating the clock is the only way to get it done.

miltnewton 1 year, 6 months ago

Most of you guys are wrong. Weiss wants this one bad but we all know wanting isnt enough. The difference is he is fully capable of out scheming Snyder and making the necessary adjustments as the game goes on. The key will be executing. If Crist comes to play, and I expect we will see a much better Crist this game and the defense (Toben, McDougal) can hold up their end of the deal, with a couple breaks, we got this! Remember, when it's your rival, throw all the "rules" of who should do what out the door. That weak sauce doesn't apply here. The longer we hang around, the more the momentum shifts inour favor. Weiss knows this. Now show some pride and encourage these players, if you don't believe, its hard for them to believe. Put your hard hats on boys, we're going to work!

Mike Barnhart 1 year, 6 months ago

When the old wizard at Silo Tech took the job 25 years ago, he said that OWNING Kansas would be vitale to his teams overall success. He said only one team could be successful in Kansas. He has never been happy to beat KU, he must humiliate them, convince every recruit that going to KU would be foolish! So far, so good!

If we really want football success, we've, first, got to beat KSU regularly and, second, HUMILIATE them regularly!

Kevin Crook 1 year, 6 months ago

There is absolutely no reason for us to even show up for six of our last eight games. This is one of them. The score will be exactly what KSU wants it to be. It's so sickening that just a couple of years ago we had a much better team than they did. Now we are just a scrimmage for them.

Jason Keller 1 year, 6 months ago

The first 6 minutes of this game are so important. If they want to come out and give us a turnover and let us put a drive together, we can win this thing.

You people painting Snyder to be the greatest coach ever make me sick. He has lost as many games that he should have won as he has won games he should have lost. K-State always beats the best and loses to the worst.

If KU played KSU 5 times, they would win once and get blown out once. The other three would be mildly respectable.

KU loses by no more than 14 meaningful points. As in, not counting any points scored by KSU as a result of our last minute desperation.

hotrodm 1 year, 6 months ago

I predict that Crist will have a break out game and keep the score close for the first half, In the second half, K-State will pull away and win by 21.

Janet Scott 1 year, 6 months ago

The game in Manhattan will equal what happened at Little Big Horn many years ago, with Crist playing the role of Custer (including the bad haircut).

kuguardgrl13 1 year, 6 months ago

After watching KU get slaughtered the last three years both in Manhattan and in Lawrence, it's going to be an ugly game on Saturday. These guys don't know how to win against K-State. Maybe Self and the basketball team should give them some pointers of how to win in Manhattan...

Nathan Scholl 1 year, 6 months ago

Have to agree with Keegan for maybe the first time. Love my Jayhawks with all of my heart, but they have NO CHANCE on Saturday. Snyder is a living legend and Klein is a heck of a player, one that comes along once in a lifetime. I, OF COURSE will ALWAYS be rooting for my Hawks to take down the purple people eaters (what the heck is that EMAW crap?), but it's hard to dislike this KSU team.