Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Keegan

Weis, KU face huge mismatch at KSU

Kansas State football coach Bill Snyder, when pressed Monday, revealed more than he usually does during the weekly Big 12 conference call.

Much to his doctor’s chagrin, Snyder said, he eats just one meal a day. It’s very late at night, and sometimes it’s at Taco Bell. You could almost hear Snyder biting his tongue. Clearly, he wished he hadn’t given the opposition so much with which to work.

No matter. Kansas University coach Charlie Weis didn’t send a tape of Snyder’s revelations to scientists so that they could study how greasy food might influence play-calling. Secrecy isn’t the issue in Saturday’s mismatch of a Big 12 game. Everything else is the issue.

“This is not a trickery-and-deceit team,” Weis said of the Wildcats, who really do need to change their nickname to Powercats. “They’re going to smash it down your throat. And you better be ready to tackle both the quarterback and the running back because they’re going to have the ball in their hands a whole bunch of times in the game, and that’s what we’re up against.”

The quarterback, 6-foot-5, 226-pound senior Collin Klein from Loveland, Colo., reminds Weis a little of former Florida star and current New York Jets lightning rod Tim Tebow. The running back, 5-7, 191-pound junior John Hubert from Waco, Texas, makes Weis think of Joe Morris, the former Syracuse University and New York Giants fire hydrant of a highlight tape.

Hubert has rushed for more than 100 yards in three of the ’Cats’ four games and averages 6.5 yards a carry.

Starting with Klein and Hubert and continuing through every other aspect of Snyder’s fourth team since he returned from a three-year retirement he regretted days into it, optimism for KU is impossible to find.

Beginning in the 2010 season, the Wildcats are 12-0 in home games against unranked opponents.

Weis has studied numbers for his own team, such as third-and-long, of which there figure to be many Saturday.

“We’re third and 10, it’s not a good situation for the good guys,” Weis said. “Not a good situation. Tells you don’t be third and 10.”

Eight snaps have come at that down and distance and Kansas has net yardage of minus-8 on the eight passing plays. Quarterback Dayne Crist is 1-for-6 for 12 yards and has been sacked twice for a loss of 20 yards.

In the 16 plays that led to the depressing down and distance, Crist is 0-for-11. Five running plays netted no gain.

As for KU’s greatest strength so far, forcing turnovers (13 in four games), that’s close to irrelevant. Apple turnovers aren’t on the Taco Bell menu. Four weeks into it, KSU has three turnovers.

For more encouraging numbers, research your chances of winning the $50 million Powerball jackpot.

Comments

Nathan Scholl 1 year, 11 months ago

Have to agree with Keegan for maybe the first time. Love my Jayhawks with all of my heart, but they have NO CHANCE on Saturday. Snyder is a living legend and Klein is a heck of a player, one that comes along once in a lifetime. I, OF COURSE will ALWAYS be rooting for my Hawks to take down the purple people eaters (what the heck is that EMAW crap?), but it's hard to dislike this KSU team.

Dan Pawlowski 1 year, 11 months ago

No it's easy to dislike this KSU team. They're KSU! Next thing you know you will be cozying up to Misery.

nuleafjhawk 1 year, 11 months ago

Can we say " respect "? Would that be better than " hard to dislike " ?

I've hated - HATED - K-State all my life, but I have a lot of respect for Coach Snyder.

Back in the day (when we walked barefoot to school, uphill - both ways......) K-State was the laughingstock of the country, maybe even the world. They were the worst football team imaginable. Snyder is a genius - even when he didn't have the best players (that could be about any year), he is brilliant at scheduling and manipulating and just figuring out whatever has to be done to win.

I have to respect that.

JD Roth 1 year, 11 months ago

Scheduling and Manipulating?? Man that's so obsolete and discredited!! Southern Cal got swept by Kansas State and so did Miami. That 1998 Kansas State team that blasted KU on Halloween 1998 could have whipped all the "Big Name" schools that DIDN'T want to play Kansas State back then and wouldn't come to Kansas State in the first place. With this improved defense, this may be the year Snyder wins it all because Klein is a winner!! So cut out the scheduling B.S. mantra. K-State beats OU at OU and all of a sudden the "experts" say OU is no good!! LMAO.

Nathan Scholl 1 year, 11 months ago

Fair enough everyone, fair enough. I respect their team, I don't LIKE their team, touche'. And NO! I will never cozy up to Mizzery. I would rather blow off my own face then ever root for those white trash slave owning scum bags! Mizzery is a whole other kind of hatred. At least K-state is in the state of Kansas and doesn't spend every bit of their day thinking of new trashy ways to hate KU. I've been told by many a Mizzery fan that they would rather see KU lose than when a single game all season other than the one against the Hawks. There is nothing positive about Mizzery in any way what so ever. Not historically, and not now. Muck Fizzou. But I do RESPECT what Bill Snyder has done and I will not become like a Mizzery fan and spend all of my time HATING another team such as KSU. KU could learn from Snyder on how to run a program. Weis certainly hasn't figured out how to motivate players to finish games yet. And that's not fairweather fan talk, I want KU to win with every fiber of my being, but they just aren't finishing games. Hopefully next year will be better for Weis and new recruits, have to give him time.

Hurinfan 1 year, 11 months ago

Thank you for not being blinded by a resemblance of a rivalry. I just graduated from KU and grew up my whole life in Kansas. I have no problem rooting for KSU when we're not playing them and I get really confused when people talk about them like they're our rival. I don't see the point. I hate MU. I hate MU more than anything I can think of but KSU... I kinda like KSU.

Michael Pannacciulli 1 year, 11 months ago

I kinda like KSU? Respect is fine. Liking them...

KGphoto 1 year, 11 months ago

Lots and lots of families have kids that go to both schools. I still have a ton of friends who graduated from K-State. It is a casual, superficial hatred. Unlike Misery, I would sit with my friends in the KSU student section (both before and during the Snyder era) at K-State games and loudly cheer for my Hawks. I never got more than a harmless earful boos and taunts. I never felt threatened, nobody ever threw anything at me, it never even got vulgar. By and large, they are proud but respectful football fans, who have something great to rally around. Don't let the maniacal board rats fool you.

Those folks have a bond that only underdogs can understand, and I can totally appreciate it, so considering we are brothers of the underdog state of Kansas, I do find it hard to hate them. Because of that, I don't think this will ever be more than a spirited in-state rivalry.

KGphoto 1 year, 11 months ago

Put it like this. If Misery found a way into the national championship game, you would be screaming for them to lose. The thought of them winning it all makes you sick, right?

If K-State somehow finds themselves there, against let's say Alabama, you know you'll be rooting for K-State over the dreaded SEC. The SEC makes KSU look like aristocrats! Even so, I could never find myself rooting for Misery to win that game. NEVER! That's a real rivalry. That's hate.

Thomas Young 1 year, 11 months ago

KSU fans tore down the goal posts in Lawrence. Any chance that I wouldn't punch one in the mouth just for showing up in Lawrence went out the window that day. And if you "kinda like KSU," than I have a jack in the head for you to.

danmoore 1 year, 11 months ago

I don't disagree with you Hurinfan and I probably would have said the same thing last year but now that they are our rivals we have to hate them. It's the rules. And as our rivals it will make us better in both sports as they are better in both sports than MU was.

jhox 1 year, 11 months ago

Missouri is dead to us. KSU is absoultely our primary rival now. There is no excuse to root for them in any sport (Unless maybe you're a KU fan but your kid plays for one of their nonrevenue producing sports teams, then you could probably be forgiven for rooting for that team--just don't go around admitting it.)

Nathan Scholl 1 year, 11 months ago

Fair enough everyone, fair enough. I respect their team, I don't LIKE their team, touche'. And NO! I will never cozy up to Mizzery. I would rather blow off my own face then ever root for those white trash slave owning scum bags! Mizzery is a whole other kind of hatred. At least K-state is in the state of Kansas and doesn't spend every bit of their day thinking of new trashy ways to hate KU. I've been told by many a Mizzery fan that they would rather see KU lose than when a single game all season other than the one against the Hawks. There is nothing positive about Mizzery in any way what so ever. Not historically, and not now. Muck Fizzou. But I do RESPECT what Bill Snyder has done and I will not become like a Mizzery fan and spend all of my time HATING another team such as KSU. KU could learn from Snyder on how to run a program. Weis certainly hasn't figured out how to motivate players to finish games yet. And that's not fairweather fan talk, I want KU to win with every fiber of my being, but they just aren't finishing games. Hopefully next year will be better for Weis, have to give him time.

Dale Stringer 1 year, 11 months ago

I don't like Mizzery. Never will. But I do root for them this year in football. Only this year, only football. The reason is the SEC fan. I have nothing against any SEC team with the exception of UK basketball. The the SEC football fan is the most egocentric snubbish pigheaded person you could ever meet. I had to spend 4 yrs around them and if you were a non-SEC fan, you may as well not exist. There was hated, you were just beneath there notice. And I'll say, they won't accept Mizzery or A&M as anything until they get beat a dozen time. I'm tired of their arogant pompous attitudes and ESPN's love for them. So Mizzou (spit, spit) beat them guys now... for aftrer the season is over you no longer exist to me.

Fototherapist 1 year, 11 months ago

EMAW seems so arbitrary. I could just as easily say EMAJ. As always, KSU is trying to find something, anything they can use as a tradition or identifier. KSU is simply bland (except for all the winning they do).

sporty 1 year, 11 months ago

As opposed to rock chalk? And an imaginary bird. Fierce!

nuleafjhawk 1 year, 11 months ago

Nothing strikes fear in the heart of an opponent like this

Go, Eco-Kat, GO !!!!

actorman 1 year, 11 months ago

Sporty, since you're apparently too dimwitted to see the difference (i.e., you're a KSUck fan), let me educate you:

The Rock Chalk Chant goes back to the end of the 19th century, and the term "Jayhawk" goes back even further than that, to the Civil War. That's where traditions come from, not from something that's created for the sole purpose of trying to force a tradition.

kuguardgrl13 1 year, 11 months ago

After watching KU get slaughtered the last three years both in Manhattan and in Lawrence, it's going to be an ugly game on Saturday. These guys don't know how to win against K-State. Maybe Self and the basketball team should give them some pointers of how to win in Manhattan...

NebraskaJayhawk 1 year, 11 months ago

You know, most of the time when I read people's posts that compare basketball to football, or calling for basketball players to join the football team, it just makes me laugh. What you are saying, however, is not necessarily a bad idea. Because when the basketball team goes into Manhattan, they know it's going to be a physical game and they do something about it....they get more physical. They play K-States style of ball...scrap and claw for every single posession...and they beat them at their own game. Typically it's not a pretty win for KU, but it's a win. I think for us to beat K-State this weekend, we are going to have to play their style of play and out physical them. Someone needs to knock Klein into la-la land a few times during the game and make him hesitant to tuck and run because he is their catalyst in so many ways. Beat Klein...you beat K-State.

MartyrMangino 1 year, 11 months ago

"Beat Klein...you beat K-State." Amen! Get this guy on the sideline, or at least get in his head and we'll drastically improve our chances. It doesn't have to even be dirty, but our goal needs to be to take that guy out one way or another.

David Leathers 1 year, 11 months ago

Watch out, you're a few dollar signs away from a bounty scandal.

JD Roth 1 year, 11 months ago

What? Then let Daniel Sams run wild? Have you seen K-States backup quarterback? I guess you haven't.

squawkhawk 1 year, 11 months ago

The only problem with your strategy is that NOBODY has "knocked Klein into la la land" and made him afraid to run the ball. If you think KU will do this on Saturday then you sir are in "La la land". Let's just face the facts, KSU football is on another planet compared to KU football. The outcome of Saturday's game is predictable...KSU will win. If KSU has a somewhat off day and KU has a great day then the score may be respectable, but KSU still wins. There is no way, other than KSU not showing up, that KU beats KSU at home this year. They get up for this game every year under Snyder because it is important to him and important to the 40 some KS kids on their team. It has not been that important to KU and Weis attempts to make it so this year will fall miserably short. Facts are facts so, like it or not, get ready for another beat down and pray for BB season to begin asap.

NebraskaJayhawk 1 year, 11 months ago

The fact is you still have to play the game.

Tony Bandle 1 year, 11 months ago

The Little Big Horn...really??... maybe you should try dragging the body of a dead comrade out of the line of fire before you make a comparision between war and football.

Football is kindergarden milk and cookies compared to men trying to kill each other. Sorry, but the comparion of sports to war just pisses me off...even in jest.

Tony Bandle 1 year, 11 months ago

I know, I know, njjayhawk meant no harm....but unless you've been there, you really don't know!! It's OK, sorry for the outburst.

KGphoto 1 year, 11 months ago

Wow! I'm gonna go out on a limb and say you probably don't care much for the kick off "cheer" then. Lol. No worries, I don't either.

Note to self: No talky wartime and sports around The Oak. :)

Tony Bandle 1 year, 11 months ago

Please ignore the goofball behind the curtain. :)

nuleafjhawk 1 year, 11 months ago

I can't speak for Oakville - but I for one HATE the stupid, ignorant, asinine, moronic kickoff cheer.

Fortunately, we don't have to hear it very often.

hotrodm 1 year, 11 months ago

I predict that Crist will have a break out game and keep the score close for the first half, In the second half, K-State will pull away and win by 21.

Jason Keller 1 year, 11 months ago

The first 6 minutes of this game are so important. If they want to come out and give us a turnover and let us put a drive together, we can win this thing.

You people painting Snyder to be the greatest coach ever make me sick. He has lost as many games that he should have won as he has won games he should have lost. K-State always beats the best and loses to the worst.

If KU played KSU 5 times, they would win once and get blown out once. The other three would be mildly respectable.

KU loses by no more than 14 meaningful points. As in, not counting any points scored by KSU as a result of our last minute desperation.

CrystalJones 1 year, 11 months ago

"K-State always beats the best and loses to the worst."

Really? When, under Snyder in the past 15 years, has that happened? You said "always," so give me lots of examples.

NikeCortez 1 year, 11 months ago

He cant give you one example. kellerman is a delusional squawk fan...theres a shocker.

Jason Keller 1 year, 11 months ago

North Texas is 2-3 and they had KSU beat this year right til the end.
Last year they beat Eastern Kentucky 10-7... Is that a highschool?
2010 - They got their butt kicked by 5-7 Colorado
2009 - Lost to 5-7 Louisiana Lafayette 2008 - Lost to 5-7 Colorado

But yeah, Snyder never loses to teams he should beat... These weren't terrible teams but believe me none of them are much, if any, better than KU is right now. Your beloved Bill Snyder has a stadium named after him at a school to which he has never brought a BCS trophy to. How long has he been there? Why is it that with so much success he can't win a BCS bowl? I'll tell you how, because he knows how to lose and he knows how to lose at the WORST times. Ask any intelligent K-State alumn and they will tell you.

If KU wins this game, both of you should change your usernames....

scraptown 1 year, 11 months ago

Two of your examples were wins, and the other two were in down years. So you gave two examples in years that k-state loss to teams that no one was surprised they lost to. K-state won bcs bowls before the bcs existed, a useless computer system does not cheapen a fiesta bowl win, and he brought a conference championship to the once losingest program in major college football. The ONLY 2 teams that any K-state alum would admit Snyder lost when he shouldn't have were Texas A&M in 98 and KU. Both were lesser programs.

BadExample 1 year, 11 months ago

Nice examples of losses to teams we should have beat. You gave two examples of games where we won...wow.....simply stunning

actorman 1 year, 11 months ago

Your details may be true, kellerman, but you're missing the minor detail that we're talking about KANSAS State here, not Ohio State! When Snyder got there, they were bar none the worst program in the history of college football (and maybe all of college sports), and he's built them into a consistent powerhouse -- TWICE no less.

Yes, he's never won a championship, but don't you think that may have to do with the fact that he's trying to recruit them to Manhattan, Kansas. What he's done with the level of players he's gotten over the years is simply remarkable, and if you don't see that you're out of your mind.

Rivals or not, like them or hate them, you can't deny Snyder his legitimate place in college football history.

2005grad 1 year, 11 months ago

Ok... You said they LOST to teams they should have beat... Not "They barely beat teams they should have beat." North Texas, they won 50 to something. Eastern Kentucky? Still beat them. 2008 Colorado? That was Ron Prince. Louisiana Lafayette? That was Snyder's second game out of retirement. You're only real example is Colorado in 2010. 1 out of how many? That's hardly "always".

Kevin Crook 1 year, 11 months ago

There is absolutely no reason for us to even show up for six of our last eight games. This is one of them. The score will be exactly what KSU wants it to be. It's so sickening that just a couple of years ago we had a much better team than they did. Now we are just a scrimmage for them.

CrystalJones 1 year, 11 months ago

Well, actually it's been 4 years.

Mike Barnhart 1 year, 11 months ago

When the old wizard at Silo Tech took the job 25 years ago, he said that OWNING Kansas would be vitale to his teams overall success. He said only one team could be successful in Kansas. He has never been happy to beat KU, he must humiliate them, convince every recruit that going to KU would be foolish! So far, so good!

If we really want football success, we've, first, got to beat KSU regularly and, second, HUMILIATE them regularly!

kujhawkfan 1 year, 11 months ago

Actually, I don't think the recruits are putting much into this game because, KU continues to do a better job of getting recruits from Kansas and the Kansas City area. Actually, KU has consistently had as good or better recruiting classes than Kansas State for several years now. Kansas State continues to be at the bottom of recruiting in the Big 12 year after year, however they are at the top in coaching which is what matters most.

CrystalJones 1 year, 11 months ago

Well, actually HCCW said yesterday that the recruiting rankings you cite are meaningless, because they don't take into account juco recruits, which can be as integral to the quality of a recruiting class as high schoolers. We went after jucos aggressively under previous coaches, and we need to again.

justsayin81 1 year, 11 months ago

This is the most absurd post I've heard on here........maybe ever! They're no monster on the recruiting trail, but they are a lot better at recruiting than you give them credit for. I looked at both rosters, K-State has 57 state of Kansas kids on their roster, Kansas has 24. So no, you don't have the recruiting edge in Kansas, they do. jjjjjhok is right. Also, of those kids from the state of Kansas, quite a few of them play significant roles on their team. Braden Wilson, Arthur Brown, Chris Harper, Curry Sexton, Ty Zimmerman, BJ Finney, Cody Whitehair, Tre Walker, etc.... I can keep going if you'd like.

Patrick Leiker 1 year, 11 months ago

They also have 24 more players on their roster...I'm not sure why that it but I'm guessing it is because their walk on program is bigger than ours. Almost all of those walk on players come from the state of Kansas. That doesn't have much to do with recruiting since you don't really recruit walk ons. We appear to be close to even in terms of the number of players who were actually recruited that came from the State of Kansas.

NikeCortez 1 year, 11 months ago

Snyder evaluations > recruiting service evaluations. Snyder has put 163 players in the NFL that were 3 or less stars. Nuff said.

JD Roth 1 year, 11 months ago

Snyder recruits exactly who he wants to recruit. K-State doesn't win on coaching alone. Wake up!!

Mike Plank 1 year, 11 months ago

Best post I've read so far today! by jjjjjj +10000000000

miltnewton 1 year, 11 months ago

Most of you guys are wrong. Weiss wants this one bad but we all know wanting isnt enough. The difference is he is fully capable of out scheming Snyder and making the necessary adjustments as the game goes on. The key will be executing. If Crist comes to play, and I expect we will see a much better Crist this game and the defense (Toben, McDougal) can hold up their end of the deal, with a couple breaks, we got this! Remember, when it's your rival, throw all the "rules" of who should do what out the door. That weak sauce doesn't apply here. The longer we hang around, the more the momentum shifts inour favor. Weiss knows this. Now show some pride and encourage these players, if you don't believe, its hard for them to believe. Put your hard hats on boys, we're going to work!

justsayin81 1 year, 11 months ago

All this makes complete sense, honestly. Except, you are drinking your bath water if you still believe Chaz Weis is a better schematic-coach than the Grey Fox. Just, not true.....

miltnewton 1 year, 11 months ago

At the very least I think its fair to say between Weiss and Campo, they can hold their own scheme-wise. The players have to make the plays however which is the big elephant in the room. As I said if we can stop them from gaining too much momentum early, I think we hang around...and as long as we do that, we have a legit chance to win.

Jason Keller 1 year, 11 months ago

Bill Snyder runs an elementary offense... He snaps it to a big quarterback and if no one is open he has him bulldoze his way to a first down... Coach Weis runs a much more complex offense. In fact, maybe too complex for this team. In that sense, perhaps you are right.

2005grad 1 year, 11 months ago

Ummmm... K-States offense is much more complex that what meets the eye. Making comments like that is what every other team has said too...

JD Roth 1 year, 11 months ago

Snyder runs three different schemes on each play. Elementary offense my @@##@@!!

texashawk10 1 year, 11 months ago

I don't Weis is necessarily capable of outscheming Snyder, but it's not like the last two years either though where KU's coaching staff was hopelessly outclassed. Weis, Campo and the rest of the staff are good enough to where they won't get embarrassed schematically, but the execution likely won't be there for KU to be able to beat KSU yet. Crist might have one or two games this where he's on enough for KU to win, but it likely won't be against a defense as good as KSU's.

squawkhawk 1 year, 11 months ago

How has Weis proven that he is capable of out scheming Snyder? When has he shown that he can make the necessary adjustments as the game goes on? Seems like he has proven the contrary in his short tenure at KU. KU can have a great game on Saturday and still get beat soundly by a marginal performance by KSU.

ccarp 1 year, 11 months ago

I'd like to see a heavy dose of the run game. Pound with Cox and Bourbon, strike with Pierson and Sims. I think maintaining possession and dominating the clock is the only way to get it done.

2005grad 1 year, 11 months ago

K-State's run defense is 15th in the country allowing under 100 yards per game. Attacking them with the constant running play is not a good idea.

Robert Brown 1 year, 11 months ago

I am going to predict that KSU does not lay 50 on us like they did the last two years. I could see a 35-7 final. Back to the rivalry. We are in the Big 12, who is your second favorite team in the Big 12? Mine is Kansas State. Over the last 25 years, KU may have had 8 seasons worth following so I also cheer for K-State. Who else in the Big 12 is worthy of rooting for? I live in Texas, so there is no way I could ever cheer for arrogant UT. I don't think Baylor and TCU belong in the conference. My wife is a Tech grad, so I do like them!! I will always take OU over UT, and NU for that matter when I was in school, but I was elated they were beaten by KSU and I still remember KSU beating them in the Big 12 championship game in 2003 as a great game. I don't dislike ISU and OSU but they have always been in the background.

Maybe it's an out of state thing. There are so many negative perceptions of Kansas, that anything positive tied to the state is something you want to embrace.

gammimc 1 year, 11 months ago

Our defense, IMHO, isn't good enough to keep them at 35. But, if we can run against them and keep churning out first downs and keep them (offense), off the field, we may help ourselves some. Our line blockers will be key. But, we just don't have the pass defense that can keep them from converting 3rd downs. Nor, do we have the pass rush to keep their QB on his backside.

One thing that has been killing us has been our kickoffs and coverage. Notice how the opposition usually starts from at least the 35 or 40? We put ourselves in a hole early by almost automatically giving them a short field. Don't see any likely improvement, but an exception this week would be a plus.

But, KSU can strike quickly and often.....we'll see how it goes.

notjustbread 1 year, 11 months ago

how does Manhattan get good recruits again?

gammimc 1 year, 11 months ago

Unfortunately at KU, football has always been a pastime until B-ball cranks up. If we do break out and have a good team once in a while, everyone is happy. If we start 4-0 by narrow wins over cupcakes, that's great.

But, the name of the game in this conference re-alignment is football and full stands. If the Big 12 were to truly dissolve, KU would be in trouble. I doubt that a BCS conference would want us, and no big name B-ball coach would hang around without major conference status and NCAA automatic bid.

We need to improve and at least reach bowl-eligible status year in and year out.

NikeCortez 1 year, 11 months ago

You just dont get it. Its called Evaluation you dipstick. Its not about turning crap into gold, its about finding diamonds in the rough that have CHARACTER and will buy in to Snyders 16 rules and getting them to live and breath these rules and getting the burning desire to improve every day. I love that you Squawks will never figure out the secret sauce. Please keep misunderstanding, its cute.

Patrick Leiker 1 year, 11 months ago

Because they accept Ds as passing grades on Juco classes so they can get Juco players that no one else can. 9 out of their starting 11 players on defense are Juco transfers.

sporty 1 year, 11 months ago

And you saw their transcripts? They all had D's? SMH

JJHawq 1 year, 11 months ago

for some reason - the whole "re-alignment" thing kind of brought out my state pride. I'm with a lot of the other posters. what WAS hatred as a youngster has evolved into respect and even a little bit of wanting to see them do well.

It also helps that I live out of state (socal) - your state pride kicks in when you don't live around KSU fans, who can be intolerable (just like KU fans).

That being said - I would LOVE to ruin their "national championship hopes" and sneak out of Manhatten with a W. KICK THEIR ASS!!!

gchawk 1 year, 11 months ago

The "mismatch" is more about a mismatch of confidence rather than talent. We've been on the wrong end of some huge upsets over the past few years, albeit in basketball, it would sure be nice to be the recipient of an upset for a change, it could happen (please, no monkey analogies) .

Stephen Johnson 1 year, 11 months ago

Look. KS has talent. The juco players KSU gets were often 4 star players coming out of high school. Hubert broke Tomlinson's rushing records in Waco. Arthur Brown was the #1 ranked player in the nation, coming out of high school. Snyder does a great job of coaching, but I don't want to hear that he takes non-talented players and develops them into stars.

As Barry Switzer said, "It's not about the X's and O's, but the Jimmy and Joe's".

CrystalJones 1 year, 11 months ago

You nailed it, RC. OB is a great teacher, but he has great talent to begin with. Their next QB Sams, a high school recruit from Louisiana, is going to be better than Klein. Sickening.

bayareajhawk 1 year, 11 months ago

They weren't all the same players in 07 and 08. A certain Mr. Julian Wright left us after that UCLA game. His turnovers killed us that night, along with Arron Afflalo being ridiculously hot and knocking down several deep threes with 1 second left on the shot clock after we played 34 seconds of great defense. Heartbreaking. It was those two Jimmies who decided that game.

Rivethead 1 year, 11 months ago

If it truly is the "Jimmy and Joe's" then why does KSU have a walk-on starting on their OL? A kid who had zero D-1 offers out of high school. That's not talent. That's coaching.

Jason Keller 1 year, 11 months ago

"Some people were born on third base and go through their whole life thinking they hit a triple" - Barry Switzer

nuleafjhawk 1 year, 11 months ago

Ever notice that the coaches who say things like that usually have gaudy winning percentages, multiple All-Americans, many Bowl wins and a National Championship (or 2, or 3.....) ??

( I swear I'm hitting the "reply" thing, but it's not working out too well for me today - anyway, that was in response to RCJhawks' last post)

Tony Bandle 1 year, 11 months ago

Success breeds success..look at our basketball program. Overall, in a way, each coach improved on his predecessor.

We need to start building that coaching chain of success in football as well. Charlie is laying the foundation, but it will be someone else who puts us over the top...and there may be several other coaches in between.

Saturday could be ugly, but all I can ask is that the Jayhawks play as hard as they can for the entire game.

KGphoto 1 year, 11 months ago

...and that, just for tomorrow, the coaches pull out all the stops and blast the pipe organ at eleven. That they open up the back of the playbook, wave their freak flags and unleash the kind of hell hound that makes Snyder fill his Depends!

KGphoto 1 year, 11 months ago

Ha, thanks. Might have been more awesome if I had said this Saturday instead of tomorrow... :/

Nicholas Cederlind 1 year, 11 months ago

For the life of me I will never understand Keegan's articles. One day, an article says we're supposed to hope against the odds that we'll win, the next day we get an article that tells us how we have no shot.

Rivethead 1 year, 11 months ago

But you read both articles? That's the point.

HAWKS1 1 year, 11 months ago

I too hate KSUcks and Mr. Personality that coaches them. Part of Snyder's success comes from his recruiting juco players that no other school is allowed (internal admittance requirements) to because KSU has lower academic entrance requirements. Those same players are often "known trouble makers" that the quality schools avoid. Snyder just tries to keep them under control and when one does get into trouble, he responds "it will be handled internally". No repercussions ever occur and there is never any followup by the KSU adoring press. The offenses that resulted in Weis dismissing kids from the KU team would have been swept under the rug at KSU and the kids would not have missed a single game. imho of course.

sporty 1 year, 11 months ago

Same standards as KU. "Known" trouble-makers? Wow, you are grasping! But, hey, whatever makes you feel better.

konzahawk 1 year, 11 months ago

For now, KU and Kansas State College have the same admission requirements for general students (That is about to change). However, Synder and KSC have made a living off of accepting JUCO players, who other universities would not admit, including KU. Ask anyone in the Big XII and old Big 8.

sporty 1 year, 11 months ago

So, Kansas college wouldn't accept some of the players the K-State has, huh? So, who should I ask from the Big 12 or Big 8 for confirmation? Oh, you just made that up? Thought so.

texashawk10 1 year, 11 months ago

Safe sex at KSU means marking the sheep that kick!

sporty 1 year, 11 months ago

WHOOO, good one! Maybe you can come up with something original??

danmoore 1 year, 11 months ago

Give me time and I'll learn to hate KSU.

kureader 1 year, 11 months ago

It's an acquired thing ... but, it won't take long.

mikehawk 1 year, 11 months ago

Let's face reality. The best we can hope for is to keep the score respectable, play smart, turnover free football, and execute fundamentals with intense competition for all 4 quarters. Coaches will tell you every time there are no moral victories in the context of a loss. Privately, they would tell you they'd love to achieve a "moral victory" on Saturday.

hammerhawk 1 year, 11 months ago

Yeah, kaystate will win on Saturday but I still hate 'em and I hate musucks and don't like nebraska either. But I love the mighty Kansas Jayhawks and I believe that Charlie can put together a team that can go back to beating kaystate year after year. I always thought that finding diamonds in the rough (i.e. overlooked JR College players) was a smart way to go for teams like KU. Dang it, kaystate figured it out first. Go Hawks.

Dale Stringer 1 year, 11 months ago

I don't see why everyone is ragging on the defense so bad. They are not great by any means but not as bad as everyone seems to think. I think they've done pretty good for as much time as they have spent on the field the last two games. TCU and NIU are both top-50 scoring teams and we held them to below their season averages. I'll even say we held TCU to way below their average since the ref gave them a touchdown opportunity after we stopped them on one drive.

offline 1 year, 11 months ago

By these boards, everyone has a lot respect for Kansas ST. and the great Bill Snyder. Kansas ST. is the flag ship of Kansas. Great to see that KU has that much respect for KST.

wats211 1 year, 11 months ago

Where's John Zook....Vernon Vanoy and Emory Hicks ...when you need them.....block and tackle well and we can beat k-state..they are playing good ball...but they weren't picked to win the league...there is no reason to fear them.....we can do this....and everyone get those tickets for O-state next weekend.....get behind these guys