Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Prep point guard Peters to visit KU

Roddy Peters, a 6-foot-4, 180-pound senior point guard from Suitland High in District Heights, Md., will make an official recruiting trip to Kansas University on Oct. 19-20, Rivals.com reports.

Peters, who is ranked No. 39 in the Class of 2013, set up the visit during an in-home meeting Tuesday with KU coach Bill Self. Peters has a list of KU, Rutgers, Xavier, Maryland, Georgetown and UCLA.

“I’m looking for somewhere where I can come in and play and get the ball put in my hands,” Peters told Rivals.com. “I can get to the basket and use my size and I can hit the jump shot.”

Mason to visit: Frank Mason, a 5-11 senior point guard from Massanutten Military Academy in Woodstock, Va., will visit KU on Thursday, according to Rivals.com. Mason, who is ranked No. 131 nationally, signed with Towson last November, but elected to attend prep school for academic reasons. He now has KU, South Carolina, Tennessee, Oklahoma State, Virginia Tech and others on his list. Mason averaged 27 points a game last season at Petersburg (Va.) High.

Young down to four: James Young, a 6-6 senior shooting guard from Rochester (Mich.) High School, has narrowed his list of prospective schools to KU, Kentucky, Michigan State and Syracuse. The country’s No. 8-rated player has eliminated Arizona and Louisville from consideration. He has yet to set a visit date to KU.

Randle cuts list: No. 1-ranked Julius Randle, a 6-9 senior from Prestonwood Christian Academy in Plano, Texas, on Tuesday cut Duke, North Carolina, Baylor and Oklahoma State from his list of schools. He is considering KU, Kentucky, Florida, N.C. State, Texas and Oklahoma as reported by his high school athletic department on Twitter.

Lucrative program: KU’s basketball program has a value of $28.2 million, which ranks third of all programs according to FORBES Magazine. In 2008, KU ranked eighth at $16 million. The magazine says KU’s value grew by 18 percent since 2010. Louisville’s program is No. 1, with a value of $36.1 million, followed by North Carolina ($29.6 million), KU, Duke ($25 million), Kentucky ($24.4 million), Indiana ($23.2 million), Ohio State ($21.9 million), Arizona ($18.3 million), Syracuse ($17.7 million) and Wisconsin ($17.2 million).

Comments

TexasHawk44 1 year, 9 months ago

Peters would be a nice pickup. Love the length. Still have a shot at Randle. The kid is a beast down low. While we may not sign him, what a gem that would be if we did. Self will reel in a couple of more keys for 2013. This could shape up to be a monster class with a little luck. We already have two Top 25 caliber kids-- keep them coming!

billhawk 1 year, 9 months ago

At 6' 4" this PG would create some real match up problems and fit well into HCBS's hybrid guard philosophy.

KJ Quartermaine 1 year, 9 months ago

Roddy, Roddy Peters! Hope we land this kid

actorman 1 year, 9 months ago

I DO TOO. (I'M SHOUTING AND I DON'T KNOW WHY!)

Alohahawk 1 year, 9 months ago

While I'm not surprised that KU made Randle's final 6, I'm stunned he dropped N.Carolina and Duke. Almost makes me stop predicting. I see Oklahoma as just a smoke screen to throw the so-called experts off base. Still see him choosing Kenstinky, if the twins don't opt for Maryland. I think they hold the trump cards to the 2013 class (and Cal Lie Pari's) because they'll draw a number of the other top recruits if he picks them up. Young will probably head to Kenstinky if Randle doesn't, or Michigan State if he does. Wiggins is Kenstinky's, whether he re-classifies or not.

My top six KU recruits: Selden and Gordon virtually tied. Then, either Embiid or Shepherd. Wildcards are Parker, or Randle. If either wildcard would sign with KU, I'll be ecstatic, but will find it impossible to believe till classes are actually enrolled in. Peters leaves 'big" questions in my mind. Peters goes with Maryland, if the Harrison twins don't.

KJ Quartermaine 1 year, 9 months ago

I was stunned at first when I noticed Randle dropped Duke, since his best friend Matt Jones is already committed. However, from what I've read, especially comments from his AAU coach I believe -- UK seems to be the clear leader just based off recent comments. But who knows, anything is possible

Jeff Suther 1 year, 9 months ago

How do they put a dollar value on a program?

clevelandjayhawker 1 year, 9 months ago

What is the name of the 2014 recruit that reclassified to the class of 2013? Was #4 overall in the 2014 class?

Any update on him making a visit?

Alohahawk 1 year, 9 months ago

Probably, you're referring to Noah Vonleh, a PF. KU has a chance, but believe he has other favorites. He'd be a another great get, a OAD (probably why he reclassified), and KU has been recruiting him for a long time. He's a top 10 in most polls. No visits scheduled that I've seen posted anywhere, yet.

Jack Wilson 1 year, 9 months ago

If, from this recruiting class, we could draw up the absolute best case scenario for KU to fill the last three spots, what would it be? Here are the three: Selden, Roberson, Shepherd.

And I think if Peters came and Selden didn't, that would be nearly as terrific. Selden, though, looks like a really special player.

No Randle, no Parker, no Young, no Gordon. Why?

I firmly believe that Self operates better with top 50 talent, but not the OAD drama, the "I am the star of the team" mentality, the "one foot out the door" perspective, and associated uncertainty.

It is because (in my humble opinion) Self's system, his coaching, his philosophy .. is a deep one .. it requires commitment to doing things perfectly. To a defensive approach that trumps offense. To an offensive approach that is significantly team oriented. It just takes a little time. But like investing in a stock that provides consistent gains, with good dividends .. it pays off in the end. Sure, you might not make as much money one year. But over a 10 year period, your better off. Better than the flavor of the day. The finished product is better and more consistent. His coaching requires learning. It requires learning a system. Really, a player takes a step or two back to go multiple steps forward. That is our program. That is how we win. Sure, Self could probably do fine with a class of top 15 players rolling over each year. He'd figure it out. But that's not what he does best.

Coach Self would do better to land Selden (alternatively R. Peters), Roberson, and Shepherd as the remaining 3. Our program would be better. Our roster would be better. Our chemistry would be better. It would be a perfect team for Coach Self to coach. We land these three guys -- add them to White, Ellis, Tharpe, McLemore, Frankamp, Greene and Z. Peters (or Lucas if he develops better) -- over the next three years, we win a national title.

Guaranteed.

clevelandjayhawker 1 year, 9 months ago

I agree with your post, but it is easy to get caught up in the rankings game. Coach Self can do a lot with the right players, which I believe is about attitude; are players giving their all and showing improvement from November to February or are they riding their talent and making the same mistakes month over month.

One problem I see is we have a big hole in our team next year, one senior in Wesley(?) and playing time will be up for grabs, but those on the bench will see guys in their positions with 2-4 years of eligibility left, and that may make some of these recruits not want to come and current recruits want to transfer.

phogphan2000 1 year, 9 months ago

Land Selden, Gordon and Randle and suddenly KU is in the thick of the 2013-14 title hunt, so there's that. I'll be more than happy if Self can bring in any 2 of the top50 guys interested in KU.

bennybob 1 year, 9 months ago

I agree those are 3 that we would do best to sign. However by willingly passing on a OAD big you have to accept the severe one year decline in front court talent the team will experience for the '13-14 season.

I'd prefer to bring in a OAD to patch the gap with Ellis during the development of shephard/roberson/Z. peters/traylor

rockchalk_dpu 1 year, 9 months ago

This is directly from the Forbes article (which came out in March, so this is somewhat old news LJW Staff).

"Our ranking of College Basketball's Most Valuable Teams measures each team's value on a weighted scoring system. The three components, in order of weight, are each team's 1. value to its university (basketball profit used for academic purposes, including basketball scholarships), 2. value to its athletic department (net profit generated by the basketball team that is kept by the athletic department) and 3. value to its conference (distribution of NCAA tournament payouts). The scoring system also standardizes revenues and expenses in order to account for differences in each school's method of reporting financial information to the Department of Education."

If you want to read the entire article, here is a link. Enjoy. http://www.forbes.com/sites/chrissmith/2012/03/12/college-basketballs-most-valuable-teams/

Tony Bandle 1 year, 9 months ago

• Did that total include the value of the tickets stolen by the ex-employees??
  • Isn't it possible that Zach Peters is texting Julius everyday telling him how easy and much fun Boot Camp is?
  • If the quote from Julius' mom is true.."no cheaters"...UK could be shaky!!
  • My vote still goes for the "S" Men..Selden and Shephard.

Sally Presson 1 year, 9 months ago

Coach Self is worth every penny!!!

jaybate 1 year, 9 months ago

A wily old oil man, who seemed to know his way around big time wealth once told me something like this about Forbes' lists: "Well, hell, son, if you ain't rich enough to keep your name off Steve Forbes' lists, you ain't really rich.

"Money doesn't talk, it swears."--Bob Dylan

Put another way, Bill Gates has probably never been the richest man in America and even more probably not therichests world.

And you will never see a Forbes Top Ten list of the richest entities that are not technically individuals, firms, or states. This list would be topped by the Crown of Great Britain, which is the largest privately owned economic entity in the world. I reckon the Vatican would be a close second.

That Forbes is compiling lists of basketball programs suggests that the money and influence vultures are getting very interested in the political economic influence that can be acquired through the backdoor of the athletic departments.

"College Sports, Inc.: The Universities vs. the Athletic Departments", Murray Sperber, 1990. The origins of what we are witnessing is all laid out there.

David Lara 1 year, 9 months ago

Hey jaybate

Don't forget Colonel Sanders before he went tits up!!

Tony Bandle 1 year, 9 months ago

Hey man, we've butted heads before but this is a great post...thanks!!

Mike Bratisax 1 year, 9 months ago

Can't find anything that I disagree with but I never like being someones 2nd choice or being 'Plan B'.

KEITHMILES05 1 year, 9 months ago

Peters quote is all about him and nothing else. Find that odd.

oldalum 1 year, 9 months ago

You never know about quotes. Rivals might have just picked that out of many other things he said, or the LJW may have just used that part from Rivals larger quote. I think journalists do a lot of cherry picking to get the quote they want or need.

Mike Bratisax 1 year, 9 months ago

You are 100% on the money and not just for sports. Without taking any side, I've been amazed with the shoddy coverage from the media during this years political races. It's one thing coming from opinion editorials but disgusted w/the so-called 'news' reporters.

Clarence Haynes 1 year, 9 months ago

If the Harrison Twins go to Maryland, the chances for getting Peters could be enhanced. I believe that they decide this week. If the Twins select KY, Turgeon will put the press on Roddy.

Andy Tweedy 1 year, 9 months ago

I read the Baltimore Sun online, and it is reporting the twins are announcing tomorrow night (at 5:00 I think). I don't follow recruiting all that closely, but I keep seeing their names on that site, so they must be considered good players.

JayDocMD 1 year, 9 months ago

thanks - consistently good posts.

Zstegs 1 year, 9 months ago

If anyone reads those two articles, in the order their listed, you already know he will be here next year. He is the type of kid that Kansas recruits. Not to mention his mama kinda reminds me of Miss Angel... RCJH Randle!

brooksmd 1 year, 9 months ago

“Well, I can’t speak for everyone else,” Kyles says. “But you’re my son, and my son is a man. These are the types of things that men do.”

Yep, gotta love a mama like that.

HawkKlaw 1 year, 9 months ago

Another top-notch recruiting post by konkey. Those were both good reads. I always imagined what an in-home with Coach Self vs. Coach Cal would be like, and yeah, both accounts were pretty much as I expected.

See, Self doubters, this is why HCBS only gets recruits who are team-oriented and fit his system. He doesn't inflate a recruits ego. He doesn't make false promises. He is straight up with recruits.

I love his no-nonsense, realistic approach, but if I were a potential OAD, I would honestly think twice about going to KU, especially if places like UK are promising you the world before you even step foot on campus. In short, players who want to improve their draft status go to UK, whereas players who want to improve their overall game go to KU.

Jason Keller 1 year, 9 months ago

Randle and his mother are sounding more down to earth with every quote that comes out.

Jack Wilson 1 year, 9 months ago

Great stuff, konkey .. so, do you hold a scholarship open until the spring for Randle and pass on a top 50 commit if that is available for the 5th spot?

Jack Wilson 1 year, 9 months ago

Agreed .. we could get a homerun of all 5, then Self would definitely find room for Randle. Great point. But we really are dreaming there.

jaybate 1 year, 9 months ago

"In Which kDong Analyses The Recruiting Matrix without Taking the Red Pill"

"Never send a human to do a robot's job." --Agent Smith

Oh, sure, Julius Randle will base his decision on Calipari knowing Jay-Z, or Self wanting to kick his butt.

Why, he might even factor in which school's town has the best banana splits, too?

Or, wait! Maybe the deciding factor will be the state song of Kansas vs. the state song of Kentucky.

Or maybe it will all come down to which coach has the best hair.

But noooooooooooo, nothing else is driving his decision. Not in the Recruiting Matrix.

Nope.

Shoes, summer teams, agents?

Fuggedaboutem.

"Did you know that the first Matrix was designed to be a perfect human world? Where none suffered, where everyone would be happy. It was a disaster. No one would accept the program. Entire crops were lost. Some believed we lacked the programming language to describe your perfect world. But I believe that, as a species, human beings define their reality through suffering and misery. The perfect world was a dream that your primitive cerebrum kept trying to wake up from. Which is why the Matrix was redesigned to this: the peak of your civilization." --Agent Smith

That newspaper in Chicago that wouldn't back down about its story about the reputedly big cash offer to Anthony Davis to play for UK?

You can't trust anything you read in the paper unless its about Cal knowing Jay-Z, or Self telling players he will be tough on them.

Ahem.

Stay in your room, Neo. :-)

brooklynnetsman 1 year, 9 months ago

Solid article about Tyshawn Taylor's role with the Nets this year. Looks like expectations will be low: http://brooklynfans.com/2012/10/nets-player-rankings-14/

AsadZ 1 year, 9 months ago

Konkey, Really enjoyed the articles and your analysis makes a lot of sense. Thanks

Jason Keller 1 year, 9 months ago

No! don't!..... Jaybate attacks in 5.. 4.. 3.. 2.. 1.

HawkKlaw 1 year, 9 months ago

By "attack", you mean "hurl childish insults at user because he has been proven wrong in the past by said user", right?

AverageCitizen 1 year, 9 months ago

It is easy for all these elite recruits to become egocentric. When picking a school, they mostly think about themselves but that formula is not a good one. I’m not sure why these kids can’t see that playing team ball is 1) much more fun 2) more successful for wins 3) makes for better chemistry in the locker room. The young and immature LaBron tried to win it all by himself in Cleveland and it didn’t work. It’s only when he joined others to share the ball that he became successful.

That is one of the reasons why I don’t Calipari. He plays to the selfishness of these elite kids and a quick (not paying your dues) mentality to the detriment of 17-19 year old kids. And, no, I don’t mean these kids should be deprived of an NBA career. I mean that all young kids are eager to make money but VERY FEW have the ability to handle it wisely. It’s been well documented that the teenage brain is different from adults in judgment. They don’t need someone to encourage their ideas about cruising to the NBA with ease. The benefit they get from even a couple of years in college is more than just basketball skills; it’s life skills. Cal gives lip service to this sentiment but it’s only talk.

When I was a 17 year old, a middle age person (Cal) trying to act young was creepy. I wanted to learn from adults that I thought had some experience in life. THOSE were the ones I thought really knew something and being my friend was not what I was looking for.

clevelandjayhawker 1 year, 9 months ago

"That is one of the reasons why I don’t Calipari."

It does seem like a verb- to use unethical means in an attempt to win at all costs, even when rules state otherwise

jhawkrulz 1 year, 9 months ago

Lebron...not successful until he went to Miami?...really that is your argument. I'm pretty sure he had a few MVPs and was paid the max amount possible for the 7 years of basketball, not to mention a few sponsorships that paid him a few bucks more.

Most of these 17-19 year old kids have been playing ball for at least 6 years going from camp to prep schools to refining their games...etc. These top 30 kids have earned every right to be in the NBA. The NBA just gave them one more arbitrary rule. If you look at success in college (and especially one year) there hasn't been direct correlation for or against it.

I'm a big fan of college etc, but that doesn't mean that is the only way you can develop life skills.

Remember Calipari's offense is a dribble drive, which is closer to an NBA style which showcases these players abilities. I'm not a fan of it, but in order for it to be successful you have to have very good players...Calipari does and he is successful because of it play to the OADs. I might not be a Calipari fan, but two things to remember 1) Calipari made his start in coaching with the Jayhawks as an assistant 2) He didn't set up the OAD rule, he just uses it to his advantage.

AsadZ 1 year, 9 months ago

Yup, Its awesome. Here its is

Because it would be glossing over one simple fact: This program absolutely owns the Big 12. And that as long as Self is around -- which will be a very long time -- you can't predict anything for Kansas except success.

79ictjhawk 1 year, 9 months ago

18% ROI on KU hoops! Need to take it public so we can buy stock!