Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Prep point guard Peters to visit KU

Roddy Peters, a 6-foot-4, 180-pound senior point guard from Suitland High in District Heights, Md., will make an official recruiting trip to Kansas University on Oct. 19-20, Rivals.com reports.

Peters, who is ranked No. 39 in the Class of 2013, set up the visit during an in-home meeting Tuesday with KU coach Bill Self. Peters has a list of KU, Rutgers, Xavier, Maryland, Georgetown and UCLA.

“I’m looking for somewhere where I can come in and play and get the ball put in my hands,” Peters told Rivals.com. “I can get to the basket and use my size and I can hit the jump shot.”

Mason to visit: Frank Mason, a 5-11 senior point guard from Massanutten Military Academy in Woodstock, Va., will visit KU on Thursday, according to Rivals.com. Mason, who is ranked No. 131 nationally, signed with Towson last November, but elected to attend prep school for academic reasons. He now has KU, South Carolina, Tennessee, Oklahoma State, Virginia Tech and others on his list. Mason averaged 27 points a game last season at Petersburg (Va.) High.

Young down to four: James Young, a 6-6 senior shooting guard from Rochester (Mich.) High School, has narrowed his list of prospective schools to KU, Kentucky, Michigan State and Syracuse. The country’s No. 8-rated player has eliminated Arizona and Louisville from consideration. He has yet to set a visit date to KU.

Randle cuts list: No. 1-ranked Julius Randle, a 6-9 senior from Prestonwood Christian Academy in Plano, Texas, on Tuesday cut Duke, North Carolina, Baylor and Oklahoma State from his list of schools. He is considering KU, Kentucky, Florida, N.C. State, Texas and Oklahoma as reported by his high school athletic department on Twitter.

Lucrative program: KU’s basketball program has a value of $28.2 million, which ranks third of all programs according to FORBES Magazine. In 2008, KU ranked eighth at $16 million. The magazine says KU’s value grew by 18 percent since 2010. Louisville’s program is No. 1, with a value of $36.1 million, followed by North Carolina ($29.6 million), KU, Duke ($25 million), Kentucky ($24.4 million), Indiana ($23.2 million), Ohio State ($21.9 million), Arizona ($18.3 million), Syracuse ($17.7 million) and Wisconsin ($17.2 million).

Comments

79ictjhawk 1 year, 6 months ago

18% ROI on KU hoops! Need to take it public so we can buy stock!

AsadZ 1 year, 6 months ago

Yup, Its awesome. Here its is

Because it would be glossing over one simple fact: This program absolutely owns the Big 12. And that as long as Self is around -- which will be a very long time -- you can't predict anything for Kansas except success.

AverageCitizen 1 year, 6 months ago

It is easy for all these elite recruits to become egocentric. When picking a school, they mostly think about themselves but that formula is not a good one. I’m not sure why these kids can’t see that playing team ball is 1) much more fun 2) more successful for wins 3) makes for better chemistry in the locker room. The young and immature LaBron tried to win it all by himself in Cleveland and it didn’t work. It’s only when he joined others to share the ball that he became successful.

That is one of the reasons why I don’t Calipari. He plays to the selfishness of these elite kids and a quick (not paying your dues) mentality to the detriment of 17-19 year old kids. And, no, I don’t mean these kids should be deprived of an NBA career. I mean that all young kids are eager to make money but VERY FEW have the ability to handle it wisely. It’s been well documented that the teenage brain is different from adults in judgment. They don’t need someone to encourage their ideas about cruising to the NBA with ease. The benefit they get from even a couple of years in college is more than just basketball skills; it’s life skills. Cal gives lip service to this sentiment but it’s only talk.

When I was a 17 year old, a middle age person (Cal) trying to act young was creepy. I wanted to learn from adults that I thought had some experience in life. THOSE were the ones I thought really knew something and being my friend was not what I was looking for.

CWGOKU 1 year, 6 months ago

Sweet, I did not have to scroll past a jaybate comment on this one

AsadZ 1 year, 6 months ago

Konkey, Really enjoyed the articles and your analysis makes a lot of sense. Thanks

brooklynnetsman 1 year, 6 months ago

Solid article about Tyshawn Taylor's role with the Nets this year. Looks like expectations will be low: http://brooklynfans.com/2012/10/nets-player-rankings-14/

Konkis Dongington III 1 year, 6 months ago

Here is the scenario I can imagine where KU could top UK for the services of Randle:

The Harrison Twins announce for UK tomorrow. James Young and Marcus Lee sign UK this fall. Wiggins reclassifies and joins UK in the spring. With that line up of commits, Wiggins would likely get pushed from the 3 to the 4 (although this is a minor difference in the dribble drive), and between Wigs, Lee, and the returning services of Wiltjer and Cauley, the more obvious PT opportunity is with KU. You can substitute a Lee commit with an Aaron Gordon commit. Or if Wigs doesn't reclassify, you could have UK get two of the three or all of the three between Lee, Gordon, and Kenney Meeks. Likewise, if Young takes his services elsewhere, you could take those 3 and still wind up with a favorable situation for KU. I think the bottom line item is that UK has to wind up with one too many players. Someone has to be a rival for Randle's natural position.

The other way this could play out is simply this: Calipari is trying really hard to wow Randle. Self's approach is markedly different. Compare the following stories:

Roy Williams tried to bowl Randle over with a whole case of rings. Self said he wasn't going to try to play to him like that. UNC got cut. KU didn't. Both Randle and his mother were impressed by Self's no nonsense approach. If Randle is mature enough to look past the bling factor, he may be able to appreciate that KU offers a more big-centric offense for him to work in and that he'll still get drafted in the top 3 regardless of his choice. The question is, is it more important to Randle that Calipari knows Jay-Z or that Self wants to kick his butt and make him tougher? I think it's a great contrast and I want the kids that have the Self mentality to choose KU. After all, you'll have plenty of time to hang with rappers when you make it to the NBA regardless of where you went to school.

Clarence Haynes 1 year, 6 months ago

If the Harrison Twins go to Maryland, the chances for getting Peters could be enhanced. I believe that they decide this week. If the Twins select KY, Turgeon will put the press on Roddy.

KEITHMILES05 1 year, 6 months ago

Peters quote is all about him and nothing else. Find that odd.

Konkis Dongington III 1 year, 6 months ago

Although Julius Randle isn't #1 on the list of bigs I'd like to see commit this year, you can't deny that he's talented, explosive, and strong and would be able to instantly step in and fill the void of Jeff Withey's inevitable departure (although more offensively than defensively). With UNC out of the picture, and to a lesser extent Duke, we're not actually in a reasonable position to land him, though UK is the clear favorite. Here's how I see things breaking down:

6) OU. I don't think anyone seriously thinks he'll pick Oklahoma. They are within about 3 hrs drive from his home and he'd undoubtedly be the best player on their roster, but they aren't going to have the level of talent they need to do anything even if they get him. He's not going to be able to single-handedly carry them to the dance and they'll be worse than they were with Blake Griffin around. I'm kind of surprised they made the cut over UNC.

5) UF. Florida is already out of schollies, though they'd make room for him. If Patrick Young has a breakout year and goes pro, that'd free up the scholly, but their front court is crowded with Damontre Harris and Dorian Finney-Smith coming online in 2013 along with my personal first choice big in the class, Chris Walker. BD has also created a much more guard oriented offense. Young doesn't get as many touches as his talent should command and that's one reason it's questionable that he goes pro after this season. I think all of these factors leave Florida low on the totem. UF is a Nike team.

4) UT. Rick Barnes is a great recruiter even if he's utterly incompetent as a coach. Austin is only 3 hrs from Plano. The front court still has room for one more talented player even with Ibeh and Ridley returning for their sophomore seasons. Still, Barnes is a serial underachiever and couldn't manage to top KU even with Kevin Durant at the helm. If you're going to pick a Big 12 school, why not pick the best with a coach that can actually win something? UT is a Nike team.

3) NCST. NC State will have room for Randle and a very talented squad to surround him. Gottfried is proving he can recruit. He hasn't proven himself as a coach, yet, but it's too early on to call him a Barnes or a Sean Miller. I don't think they're going to be in the top 2 right now, but don't sleep on them. I wouldn't be surprised if they pulled the upset and landed Randle, but I don't think they're favored either. NCST is an Adidas team.

2) KU.

1) UK. Calipari is trying to recruit the best team ever and he passed over talent like Chris Walker and now Jabari Parker to focus on Randle. He's pulling out all the stops with JZ and his all the bling he can muster. But there are several scenarios where we could come out on top depending on how the chips fall with their other recruits. UK is, of course, a Nike team.

William Blake 1 year, 6 months ago

"KU’s basketball program has a value of $28.2 million..."

"...Self told the Journal-World on Friday after agreeing to a restructured contract that will provide him $53.32 million over a whopping 10 years."

So CS is worth almost twice as much as our entire basketball program?

I know, I know... The $28.2m is current value and the $53.32 is future payout over time.

How do you determine the value of a basketball program?

Jack Wilson 1 year, 6 months ago

If, from this recruiting class, we could draw up the absolute best case scenario for KU to fill the last three spots, what would it be? Here are the three: Selden, Roberson, Shepherd.

And I think if Peters came and Selden didn't, that would be nearly as terrific. Selden, though, looks like a really special player.

No Randle, no Parker, no Young, no Gordon. Why?

I firmly believe that Self operates better with top 50 talent, but not the OAD drama, the "I am the star of the team" mentality, the "one foot out the door" perspective, and associated uncertainty.

It is because (in my humble opinion) Self's system, his coaching, his philosophy .. is a deep one .. it requires commitment to doing things perfectly. To a defensive approach that trumps offense. To an offensive approach that is significantly team oriented. It just takes a little time. But like investing in a stock that provides consistent gains, with good dividends .. it pays off in the end. Sure, you might not make as much money one year. But over a 10 year period, your better off. Better than the flavor of the day. The finished product is better and more consistent. His coaching requires learning. It requires learning a system. Really, a player takes a step or two back to go multiple steps forward. That is our program. That is how we win. Sure, Self could probably do fine with a class of top 15 players rolling over each year. He'd figure it out. But that's not what he does best.

Coach Self would do better to land Selden (alternatively R. Peters), Roberson, and Shepherd as the remaining 3. Our program would be better. Our roster would be better. Our chemistry would be better. It would be a perfect team for Coach Self to coach. We land these three guys -- add them to White, Ellis, Tharpe, McLemore, Frankamp, Greene and Z. Peters (or Lucas if he develops better) -- over the next three years, we win a national title.

Guaranteed.

Alohahawk 1 year, 6 months ago

Probably, you're referring to Noah Vonleh, a PF. KU has a chance, but believe he has other favorites. He'd be a another great get, a OAD (probably why he reclassified), and KU has been recruiting him for a long time. He's a top 10 in most polls. No visits scheduled that I've seen posted anywhere, yet.

clevelandjayhawker 1 year, 6 months ago

What is the name of the 2014 recruit that reclassified to the class of 2013? Was #4 overall in the 2014 class?

Any update on him making a visit?

Jeff Suther 1 year, 6 months ago

How do they put a dollar value on a program?

MrMario15 1 year, 6 months ago

I was stunned at first when I noticed Randle dropped Duke, since his best friend Matt Jones is already committed. However, from what I've read, especially comments from his AAU coach I believe -- UK seems to be the clear leader just based off recent comments. But who knows, anything is possible

Alohahawk 1 year, 6 months ago

While I'm not surprised that KU made Randle's final 6, I'm stunned he dropped N.Carolina and Duke. Almost makes me stop predicting. I see Oklahoma as just a smoke screen to throw the so-called experts off base. Still see him choosing Kenstinky, if the twins don't opt for Maryland. I think they hold the trump cards to the 2013 class (and Cal Lie Pari's) because they'll draw a number of the other top recruits if he picks them up. Young will probably head to Kenstinky if Randle doesn't, or Michigan State if he does. Wiggins is Kenstinky's, whether he re-classifies or not.

My top six KU recruits: Selden and Gordon virtually tied. Then, either Embiid or Shepherd. Wildcards are Parker, or Randle. If either wildcard would sign with KU, I'll be ecstatic, but will find it impossible to believe till classes are actually enrolled in. Peters leaves 'big" questions in my mind. Peters goes with Maryland, if the Harrison twins don't.

MrMario15 1 year, 6 months ago

Roddy, Roddy Peters! Hope we land this kid

TexasHawk44 1 year, 6 months ago

Peters would be a nice pickup. Love the length. Still have a shot at Randle. The kid is a beast down low. While we may not sign him, what a gem that would be if we did. Self will reel in a couple of more keys for 2013. This could shape up to be a monster class with a little luck. We already have two Top 25 caliber kids-- keep them coming!