Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Seven-footer Embiid to visit KU for Late Night

Joel Embiid, a 7-foot, 220-pound senior center from Rock School in Gainesville, Fla., will attend the Oct. 12 Late Night in the Phog as part of an official basketball recruiting visit to Kansas University.

Embiid, who is originally from Cameroon, has a list of KU, Florida, Louisville, UCLA, Marquette, Texas, DePaul, Wake Forest and Virginia.

“I’m looking forward to the visit and I am very interested in Kansas,” Embiid told Rivals.com. “I’d also like to visit Florida and Virginia, but the only visit that I have set is my visit to Kansas.”

The 17-year-old Embiid started playing basketball just a year ago.

“He has to get a little more flexible and add strength, but he is a high-level rebounder, alters shots, has good hands and does a good job of establishing and holding position,” said Eric Bossi of Rivals.com. “The form on his jump shot is good, and he’s already developed a strong spin move that he’s comfortable using to go right or left.”

Embiid said he is looking for “academics, a good coach and good people around who can help me get better. I’d like a coach that knows my game and how to get me better.”

Roberson switches visit date: No. 29-ranked Tyler Roberson, a 6-8 senior forward from Roselle (N.J.) Catholic, has decided to switch the date of his KU visit from Oct. 12 to Oct. 19, Rivals.com reports. He has a list of KU, Alabama, Florida, Kentucky, Rutgers, Seton Hall, South Carolina, SMU, Syracuse and Villanova. He visited SMU last weekend.

Other uncommitted senior prospects expected for Late Night: No. 23-rated Wayne Selden, 6-5 combo guard, Tilton (N.H.) School; No. 5-rated Aaron Gordon, 6-8 forward, Archbishop Mitty High, San Jose, Calif. and No. 43 Karviar Shepherd, 6-10 center, Dallas Prime Prep Academy.

Collins in Spurs camp: Former KU guard Sherron Collins has been added to the San Antonio Spurs’ training camp roster, the team announced Monday. Collins, who is listed at 5-11, 215, played last season for Hacettepe Universitesi of the Turkish Basketball League where he appeared in 19 games, averaging 10.6 points, 2.8 assists, 2.0 rebounds and 1.05 steals in 28.9 minutes. Collins appeared in 20 games for the Charlotte Bobcats in 2010-11.

Wright update: Former KU forward Julian Wright is considering signing with Maccabi Rishon LeZion, a pro team in Israel, according to sportando.net. Wright averaged 16.8 points and 7.9 rebounds per game last season for the Austin Toros of the NBA Developmental League.

Update on Roy: Former KU coach Roy Williams tells ESPN.com he will have a biopsy on a tumor on his left kidney this week. A tumor removed from his right kidney recently was deemed non-cancerous.

“Then we’ll make some decisions after that as to what will be done next,” North Carolina coach Williams told ESPN. “The original plan was two surgeries, so I’ve mentally prepared myself to do that. If anything comes out better than that, I’ll feel like I birdied the last hole, and I keep playing.”

If the tumor does need to be removed, Williams would miss some practice time, but likely no games, ESPN reported.

“It’s pretty emotional at times, but I got such great care at the hospital, and the outpouring from the North Carolina people, and the other people in the coaching profession, my friends, my foxhole buddies, have just been off the charts,” Williams said.

On a lighter note ... “Wanda (Williams’ wife) has figured out with these 10 days, counting the surgery, that she might not be willing for me to retire so soon. Ten days to spend with me, she said maybe I ought to coach another 20 years. So there’s been some good things here, too,” Williams joked.

Comments

Chris Bruning 2 years ago

I get a good vibe off those words from Embiid, i think we have a really good shot at him.

Joe Baker 2 years ago

Optimism is a good thing. I still kick myself when I think about how in the hell we lost KT to zona. We recruited him as well as any team or player. Miller crept in at the last hour and he committed to zona? It's the thing that keeps me awake some nights and it makes me say, "hmm..." Then I have a good night's rest. Oh well, we'll call this kid KT2. What makes it even more crazy is we had DMan too.

Micky Baker 2 years ago

Ya think that some shenanigans going on for Arizona to get them? Bill Self has a high level of integrity and has done things the right way. It might not even be the zona coaches, but boosters offering them guys some against the rules perks. Wouldn't be the first time it's happened.

Jarred Latta 2 years ago

I disagree with you. Embiid is from Gainsville, FL which is where the Univeristy of Florida is located. He played AAU with Chris Walker and Kasey Hill, who are both committed to Florida. I say there isnt a very good chance at him at all.

Alohahawk 2 years ago

From their early contact with him, I still think Florida and UCLA have the jump on Embiid, but it would be great if Self pulled this 7 foot surprise out of his hat. Having convinced him to visit during Late Night has to be Self's best chance to perform that magic. Same goes for Gordon, another surprising visitor for Late Night.

Of all the Late Night visitors, Selden is still my top choice, because he could possibly fill KU's PG/combo need. Adding Gordon is a very close second, and finally - Embiid or Shepherd at the center position.

If the above chose to go elsewhere or if any were to wait till Spring, and with only 3 scholarships left available for 2013, I'd think Self would hold at least one open for a late Spring option. Especially if a few top recruits still considering KU wait till then (ie. Parker, Lawrence, Roberson, Young, or highly unlikely - Randle). And who knows, maybe a late transfer or top JUCO PG might pop out of the woodwork? These current late PG options seem (to me) like they'd take away a much higher ranked option.

moonlightschlademan 2 years ago

An impressive roster for Late Night. You can't teach size. You can learn to be an amazing big man at the University of Kansas. Look forward to seeing them all in the Field House. As a former mock UN ambassador for Cameroon, I would like to welcome Emblid. Embiid would be the first Cameroon hoop talent to sport the Crimson and Blue with Moulaye Niang originally from Senegal. (This assumes that Phog didn't go on many African recruiting trips).

An additional quote from the rivals article on Embiid states that he would like to sign early. Hopefully, KU has an edge as the first (and only) school that he has set up an official visit.

jaybate 2 years ago

Joel Embiid--point center!

Wayne Selden--point OAD!

Roberson--point switch

Sherron Collins--point impact

Julian Wright--Middle East beast

Roy Williams--point coach

Wanda Williams--point wife

Gary Bedore--point sports writer

Tony Bandle 2 years ago

Please feel free to insult me all you wish, troll...but get your own avatar, you scum-sucking d-bag!!

Tony Bandle 2 years ago

Sorry for the response..you caught me at a bad time. I guess being a loyal Jayhawk alumni and program supporter doesn't count for much anymore on this site. Honestly, I'm pretty sure your post above is very clever and you are probably ten times the man I could ever hope to be. If you are a troll..good job. If you are a Jayhawk...Jesus weeps. ["lice-ridden varmint"..pretty darn good, though :) ]

Joe Ross 2 years ago

Its been just a couple of months or so since you declared brazenly Doc Sadler did not want to be a part of coaching now because he desperately needed to "...charge his batteries." I guess we'll see here very soon if you were right or, on the other hand, your rambling pontifications have no basis in reality. Texas Tech is interested. Stay tuned. "All malice, no fiction."

jaybate 2 years ago

Tuesday Recruiting Headlines:

Self Flirts with Class of Destiny: Cin Says OK

Shepherd and Embiid: Towers for Towers

Roberson/Gordon: East Meets West at Late Night Fest

Self and Selden: Stars Align

LB/Janks After Roberson: No Good Deed Unpunished

John Boyle 2 years ago

Why bring that up in a basketball article??

He has the right to have an opinion even if it flies in the face of your sense of reality.

Robin Smith 2 years ago

He posts it after nearly every jaybate posting

jaybate 2 years ago

Embiid has only played for a year?

P R O J E C T

Joe Baker 2 years ago

Self is the master at P R O J E C T S. He's better than any coach in the nation.

Steve Gantz 2 years ago

Prove it truehawk and I'll believe. How do you know he's the best in the nation at P R O J E C T S? Have you analyzed all 300 some DI coaches for their success in taking raw talents and developing them? Maybe you have so let's hear it!

brooksmd 2 years ago

wissoxfan83.....How's life over in BR?

coloradojayhawk 2 years ago

Show us anyone who's better. Just an invitation.

jaybate 2 years ago

"I’d like a coach that knows my game and how to get me better." -- Joel Embiid

Sounds like he already speaks Self English.

Jason Keller 2 years ago

I wonder if Sherron's shot in training camp has anything to do with Bill's relationship with that organization. Not that Sherron isn't good enough to get it on his own.

Robin Smith 2 years ago

This would be fantastic if he made the roster with the best organization in the NBA. It certainly doesn't hurt to have the connection. Buford likely knows him personally. But of course they want him for basketball reasons - you don't run the best organization by submitting to nepotism. They are in fact the very best scouts in all of the NBA. They're probably hoping he can be successful like Lawson and spell an aging Tony Parker, be that spark-plug. This is by far his best shot to stick in the League.

jhawkrulz 2 years ago

I didn't see anything about the Oklahoma City Thunder going after Sherron...

You mentioned the best organization in the NBA...I must have missed something about your comment.

jaybate 2 years ago

kellerman,

Not only Self but LB. Recall Sherron flourished under LB briefly at Carolina before Jordan decided he knew more than Brown. Sherron hung 32 pts in some summer or preseason game, while in Carolina. If the Spurs invest a year in him, he will pay dividends. If Derek Fisher can play in the NBA for 15 years, Sherron can. Just has to find the right launch pad.

bennybob 2 years ago

What's a better 5th schollie flier: Embiid or Milton?

soapisurfriend 2 years ago

The Harrison twins moved up their announcement date and are set to announce on Thursday.

Alohahawk 2 years ago

Come on Maryland. Love to see how Cal Lie Pari would fair with a sub par class, and how the Kenstinky faithful would take it. If they go to yUKey, Randle will too. If elsewhere, he'll most likely end up at N. Carolina.

soapisurfriend 2 years ago

I don't expect any surprises here either. You bring up an interesting point. People forget about Willis, who is a pretty talented prospect, because there is so much talk of a potentially historic class in Lexington. I've said all along that Randle will not pick UK if the twins go there, but it appears my chances of being wrong about that grow each day. If Cal we're to assemble a monster class as it appears he is, what happens to Willis if schollies start filling up?

mi_familia 2 years ago

It wouldn't surprise me though if they did choose Maryland. At Maryland, they could have the ball in their hands 70% of the time and get lots of recognition on the East Coast. It also would pretty much guarantee a hefty Under Armour contract (once they turn pro of course).

Jack Wilson 2 years ago

If they go to Maryland, perhaps Roddy Peters becomes more of a possibility.

Curtis Stutz 2 years ago

I'll also mention that it would just be a great get for Mark Turgeon and a thorn in the side of UNC and Duke, so there are plenty of reasons to want them to go to UMD.

I know they're really, really good and all, but I still don't think Goodwin is a lock to be a OAD and who knows what happens with Harrow. Obviously they've got minutes for them at UK either way, but at this point they can't know for sure they'll be the stars of the show so to speak. Just wonder if they want to announce ahead of Midnight Madness so the MD fans go nuts while they're on the visit?

Chris Shaw 2 years ago

I have this pit in my stomach that says KU is going to get Selden. I will be honest, I am going to be crushed if he goes elsewhere. Selden is a flat out stud.

In regards to Embiid..............if you saw improvement with Jeff Withey during his career at Kansas, Embiid would be the Hope Diamond. Kid is raw, but has so much potential. If I was Embiid all I would have to do is look at the Morris Twins, T-Rob, Aldrich, and Withey and say, "Man, Self put's big guys in the NBA".

The same goes for Kaviar Shepherd. It is interesting how the Embiid involvement will affect both of these guys? I know Gainesville is Embiid's current resident, but he has already played behind Chris Walker on his AAU team. Why would you do it at Florida as well where I believe that they don't have any scholarships left? Not sure about that though.

Jason Keller 2 years ago

I could not agree anymore. If Selden committs, he is automatically my favorite Jayhawk. His game is so ruthless and furocious. He is like some crazy hybrid mix between Sherron Collins and T-Rob. He is an absolute pro in the making, he'll be in the league for 10 years at least. I think he is the 4th or 5th best player in this class. If we get him, we have EASILY the best set of guards/SFs in the nation.

Joe Baker 2 years ago

Randle is but a KU recruit of yesteryear KDong. I remember when this kid was all KU and KU was alone on his list. Then D1 recruiting happened as with most players, which is a fact of the game. He's long gone. I want to be wrong, but he has East coast fever.

KEITHMILES05 2 years ago

There have been very few kids who attend Late Night who actually sign. It's a fun trip and all paid for but that's about it.

dylans 2 years ago

I believe Frankamp was there last season.

Bulkmania 2 years ago

Yes frankamp was there last season but any respectable fan knows that he had already committed before then. I'm thinking July.

Tony Bandle 2 years ago

BenMac was there and hinted that he would have signed that night if he had won his family over!!

HawkKlaw 2 years ago

C'maaaawn Selden! That would be a huge get for Self & Co. I won't be extremely upset if he chooses another school (after all, we're Kansas, and we don't live and die with any one recruit), but he would be exactly what KU needs going into next season. Wherever he goes, he'll be a beast of a PG, to be sure.

And Julian Wright averaged 8 boards a game last season in the D-League? That's never been one of his strengths, so that really surprises me. If he can put up those kind of numbers, he should be playing professionally somewhere (either the NBA or abroad). He's always been one of my favorite high-flying Jayhawks.

Jason Keller 2 years ago

Wayne Selden!!! I can't remember the last time I wanted Bill to land a guy so bad. He is just perfect for the type of team we want to field here at KU. Big, strong, explosive and just a little big cocky :)

Micky Baker 2 years ago

Can someone please give Jaybate his lithium medication?

Tony Bandle 2 years ago

Embiid = PROJECT: P - Potential R - Rejector O - Offense Inside J - Jammer E - Elbows C - Clogger * T - Terrorizor

archercc 2 years ago

The only thing that worries me about a raw-talent center is I wonder if we will be able to devlop them at the incredible pace we have historically with Danny Manning running the inside. Most of our standouts, after going to the NBA, credit Manning directly with their development.

John Boyle 2 years ago

Be sure and send this post to Embiid and maybe he will go to Tulsa!

Tony Bandle 2 years ago

I started to laugh then realized you weren't kidding!!! Good point!! :{

Priest Fontaine 2 years ago

Great news. I kind of counted Randle out but this gives a little hope back. If Wiggens reclassifies and signs with UK it seems like Randle wouldn't want to go there and out-shined. Or, would he want to be a part of that "best class ever" with Harrison twins, Wiggens, Young and Randle?

We could start a pretty good football team with Randle, Selden and Peters! I love the idea of having these insanely physically aggressive players mixed in with more finesse players like White, Greene, Frankamp. From the little I've seen of B-Mac and P. Ellis, it seems like they are somewhere in between in their playing style.

LeadFarmer 2 years ago

Only been playing basketball for a year? We really don't need another Moulaye Niang.

Curtis Stutz 2 years ago

I know it's great that Julian Wright can get paid serious money to play in exotic locations, but dang I wish for that guy he was starting in the NBA. Such an exciting player.

Best of luck to Sherron Collins, we know you have what it takes to play at any level.

Roy Williams, hope you're in good health now. I'm very skeptical of UNC being ranked as highly as most have them even though they do have a good deal of talent. I'll be impressed if Roy can hold of NCSt whom I favor to win the ACC.

Joel Embiid, you should have a good time. Glad you're showing interest in the University of Kansas and HCBS's staff.

jaybate 2 years ago

jloss, what year did u

graduate from ku?

jloss, let's talk about shoe

And the summer game, too

jloss, lets stuff the roster

with sons of friends

From St. Bennie's, too.

jloss, lets make up

Lies about Sadler

And call them true.

jloss, why do u fake

Being crimson and blue?

:-)

HawkKlaw 2 years ago

Nice insight.

You really hate being proven wrong, don't you?

jaybate 2 years ago

No, it helps me get better; that's why I wear of dolts that think they are correcting me, when they are making shizz up out of thin air.

I consider you among the group, too, HawkKlaw. :-)

HawkKlaw 2 years ago

Nobody makes more shizz up out of thin air than you, jaybate.

jaybate 2 years ago

Welkommen serialJaybate'sEunuch.

jaybate 2 years ago

Question: who will Self play through, when the going gets tough?

HawkKlaw 2 years ago

Probably Elijah Johnson.

But one thing's for sure: When the going gets tough Self won't resort to childish name-calling like somebody I know.

jaybate 2 years ago

HawkKlaw, you pickle-headed ninny, don't be so coy. Who were you talking about? :-)

Seriously, you were referring to jLoss, right?