Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Seven-footer Embiid to visit KU for Late Night

Joel Embiid, a 7-foot, 220-pound senior center from Rock School in Gainesville, Fla., will attend the Oct. 12 Late Night in the Phog as part of an official basketball recruiting visit to Kansas University.

Embiid, who is originally from Cameroon, has a list of KU, Florida, Louisville, UCLA, Marquette, Texas, DePaul, Wake Forest and Virginia.

“I’m looking forward to the visit and I am very interested in Kansas,” Embiid told Rivals.com. “I’d also like to visit Florida and Virginia, but the only visit that I have set is my visit to Kansas.”

The 17-year-old Embiid started playing basketball just a year ago.

“He has to get a little more flexible and add strength, but he is a high-level rebounder, alters shots, has good hands and does a good job of establishing and holding position,” said Eric Bossi of Rivals.com. “The form on his jump shot is good, and he’s already developed a strong spin move that he’s comfortable using to go right or left.”

Embiid said he is looking for “academics, a good coach and good people around who can help me get better. I’d like a coach that knows my game and how to get me better.”

Roberson switches visit date: No. 29-ranked Tyler Roberson, a 6-8 senior forward from Roselle (N.J.) Catholic, has decided to switch the date of his KU visit from Oct. 12 to Oct. 19, Rivals.com reports. He has a list of KU, Alabama, Florida, Kentucky, Rutgers, Seton Hall, South Carolina, SMU, Syracuse and Villanova. He visited SMU last weekend.

Other uncommitted senior prospects expected for Late Night: No. 23-rated Wayne Selden, 6-5 combo guard, Tilton (N.H.) School; No. 5-rated Aaron Gordon, 6-8 forward, Archbishop Mitty High, San Jose, Calif. and No. 43 Karviar Shepherd, 6-10 center, Dallas Prime Prep Academy.

Collins in Spurs camp: Former KU guard Sherron Collins has been added to the San Antonio Spurs’ training camp roster, the team announced Monday. Collins, who is listed at 5-11, 215, played last season for Hacettepe Universitesi of the Turkish Basketball League where he appeared in 19 games, averaging 10.6 points, 2.8 assists, 2.0 rebounds and 1.05 steals in 28.9 minutes. Collins appeared in 20 games for the Charlotte Bobcats in 2010-11.

Wright update: Former KU forward Julian Wright is considering signing with Maccabi Rishon LeZion, a pro team in Israel, according to sportando.net. Wright averaged 16.8 points and 7.9 rebounds per game last season for the Austin Toros of the NBA Developmental League.

Update on Roy: Former KU coach Roy Williams tells ESPN.com he will have a biopsy on a tumor on his left kidney this week. A tumor removed from his right kidney recently was deemed non-cancerous.

“Then we’ll make some decisions after that as to what will be done next,” North Carolina coach Williams told ESPN. “The original plan was two surgeries, so I’ve mentally prepared myself to do that. If anything comes out better than that, I’ll feel like I birdied the last hole, and I keep playing.”

If the tumor does need to be removed, Williams would miss some practice time, but likely no games, ESPN reported.

“It’s pretty emotional at times, but I got such great care at the hospital, and the outpouring from the North Carolina people, and the other people in the coaching profession, my friends, my foxhole buddies, have just been off the charts,” Williams said.

On a lighter note ... “Wanda (Williams’ wife) has figured out with these 10 days, counting the surgery, that she might not be willing for me to retire so soon. Ten days to spend with me, she said maybe I ought to coach another 20 years. So there’s been some good things here, too,” Williams joked.

Comments

Ralster Jayhawk 1 year, 6 months ago

In other news, does anyone have any insightful (or inciteful) comments regarding the beginning of Ben Howland's final season at USeeLA? (which you dont see in the top10 net-worth basketball programs list...).

jaybate 1 year, 6 months ago

Question: who will Self play through, when the going gets tough?

jaybate 1 year, 6 months ago

Welkommen serialJaybate'sEunuch.

jaybate 1 year, 6 months ago

jloss, what year did u

graduate from ku?

jloss, let's talk about shoe

And the summer game, too

jloss, lets stuff the roster

with sons of friends

From St. Bennie's, too.

jloss, lets make up

Lies about Sadler

And call them true.

jloss, why do u fake

Being crimson and blue?

:-)

phogphan2000 1 year, 6 months ago

I know it's great that Julian Wright can get paid serious money to play in exotic locations, but dang I wish for that guy he was starting in the NBA. Such an exciting player.

Best of luck to Sherron Collins, we know you have what it takes to play at any level.

Roy Williams, hope you're in good health now. I'm very skeptical of UNC being ranked as highly as most have them even though they do have a good deal of talent. I'll be impressed if Roy can hold of NCSt whom I favor to win the ACC.

Joel Embiid, you should have a good time. Glad you're showing interest in the University of Kansas and HCBS's staff.

LeadFarmer 1 year, 6 months ago

Only been playing basketball for a year? We really don't need another Moulaye Niang.

Konkis Dongington III 1 year, 6 months ago

So speaking of scenarios where we could wind up landing Julius Randle, check out this bomb that just dropped on Twitter and Zagsblog:

UNC OUT! DUKE OUT! Its KU and UK as the front runners. WOW!

archercc 1 year, 6 months ago

The only thing that worries me about a raw-talent center is I wonder if we will be able to devlop them at the incredible pace we have historically with Danny Manning running the inside. Most of our standouts, after going to the NBA, credit Manning directly with their development.

Tony Bandle 1 year, 6 months ago

Embiid = PROJECT: P - Potential R - Rejector O - Offense Inside J - Jammer E - Elbows C - Clogger * T - Terrorizor

Micky Baker 1 year, 6 months ago

Can someone please give Jaybate his lithium medication?

Jason Keller 1 year, 6 months ago

Wayne Selden!!! I can't remember the last time I wanted Bill to land a guy so bad. He is just perfect for the type of team we want to field here at KU. Big, strong, explosive and just a little big cocky :)

HawkKlaw 1 year, 6 months ago

C'maaaawn Selden! That would be a huge get for Self & Co. I won't be extremely upset if he chooses another school (after all, we're Kansas, and we don't live and die with any one recruit), but he would be exactly what KU needs going into next season. Wherever he goes, he'll be a beast of a PG, to be sure.

And Julian Wright averaged 8 boards a game last season in the D-League? That's never been one of his strengths, so that really surprises me. If he can put up those kind of numbers, he should be playing professionally somewhere (either the NBA or abroad). He's always been one of my favorite high-flying Jayhawks.

KEITHMILES05 1 year, 6 months ago

There have been very few kids who attend Late Night who actually sign. It's a fun trip and all paid for but that's about it.

Chris Shaw 1 year, 6 months ago

I have this pit in my stomach that says KU is going to get Selden. I will be honest, I am going to be crushed if he goes elsewhere. Selden is a flat out stud.

In regards to Embiid..............if you saw improvement with Jeff Withey during his career at Kansas, Embiid would be the Hope Diamond. Kid is raw, but has so much potential. If I was Embiid all I would have to do is look at the Morris Twins, T-Rob, Aldrich, and Withey and say, "Man, Self put's big guys in the NBA".

The same goes for Kaviar Shepherd. It is interesting how the Embiid involvement will affect both of these guys? I know Gainesville is Embiid's current resident, but he has already played behind Chris Walker on his AAU team. Why would you do it at Florida as well where I believe that they don't have any scholarships left? Not sure about that though.

soapisurfriend 1 year, 6 months ago

The Harrison twins moved up their announcement date and are set to announce on Thursday.

Beate Williams 1 year, 6 months ago

The attached talks to Marcus about last year and the upcoming season with the Rockets. http://blog.chron.com/ultimaterockets/2012/10/a-new-perspective-for-marcus-morris/

bennybob 1 year, 6 months ago

What's a better 5th schollie flier: Embiid or Milton?

jaybate 1 year, 6 months ago

kellerman,

Not only Self but LB. Recall Sherron flourished under LB briefly at Carolina before Jordan decided he knew more than Brown. Sherron hung 32 pts in some summer or preseason game, while in Carolina. If the Spurs invest a year in him, he will pay dividends. If Derek Fisher can play in the NBA for 15 years, Sherron can. Just has to find the right launch pad.

Jason Keller 1 year, 6 months ago

I wonder if Sherron's shot in training camp has anything to do with Bill's relationship with that organization. Not that Sherron isn't good enough to get it on his own.

jaybate 1 year, 6 months ago

"I’d like a coach that knows my game and how to get me better." -- Joel Embiid

Sounds like he already speaks Self English.

jaybate 1 year, 6 months ago

Embiid has only played for a year?

P R O J E C T

Sherron Collins--point impact

Julian Wright--Middle East beast

Roy Williams--point coach

Wanda Williams--point wife

Gary Bedore--point sports writer

moonlightschlademan 1 year, 6 months ago

An impressive roster for Late Night. You can't teach size. You can learn to be an amazing big man at the University of Kansas. Look forward to seeing them all in the Field House. As a former mock UN ambassador for Cameroon, I would like to welcome Emblid. Embiid would be the first Cameroon hoop talent to sport the Crimson and Blue with Moulaye Niang originally from Senegal. (This assumes that Phog didn't go on many African recruiting trips).

An additional quote from the rivals article on Embiid states that he would like to sign early. Hopefully, KU has an edge as the first (and only) school that he has set up an official visit.

Alohahawk 1 year, 6 months ago

From their early contact with him, I still think Florida and UCLA have the jump on Embiid, but it would be great if Self pulled this 7 foot surprise out of his hat. Having convinced him to visit during Late Night has to be Self's best chance to perform that magic. Same goes for Gordon, another surprising visitor for Late Night.

Of all the Late Night visitors, Selden is still my top choice, because he could possibly fill KU's PG/combo need. Adding Gordon is a very close second, and finally - Embiid or Shepherd at the center position.

If the above chose to go elsewhere or if any were to wait till Spring, and with only 3 scholarships left available for 2013, I'd think Self would hold at least one open for a late Spring option. Especially if a few top recruits still considering KU wait till then (ie. Parker, Lawrence, Roberson, Young, or highly unlikely - Randle). And who knows, maybe a late transfer or top JUCO PG might pop out of the woodwork? These current late PG options seem (to me) like they'd take away a much higher ranked option.

Chris Bruning 1 year, 6 months ago

I get a good vibe off those words from Embiid, i think we have a really good shot at him.