Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Notebook: Zach Peters not on KU bench because of illness

The Kansas bench waits with anticipation for a bucket from a reserve player during the second half of the CBE Classic, Monday, Nov. 19, 2012 at the Sprint Center in Kansas City, Missouri.

Podcast episode

Press Conferences & Post-Game Interviews

KU coach Bill Self talks after 78-41 win over Washington State

KU coach Bill Self talks to reporters after his team's 78-41 win over Washington State on Nov. 19, 2012.

Download podcast

Podcast episode

Press Conferences & Post-Game Interviews

Travis Releford and Kevin Young

Kansas seniors Travis Releford and Kevin Young talk to reporters following the Jayhawks' 78-41 victory over Washington State on Nov. 19, 2012.

Download podcast

Box score

KU-WSU

Kansas University freshman forward Zach Peters did not sit on the bench or behind the bench during the Jayhawks’ 78-41 rout of Washington State on Monday night in Sprint Center.

Peters, who has not practiced all season because of a rotator cuff injury, was ill.

“He said he didn’t feel well at all. He was under the weather,” said Self, who also revealed he personally was “not feeling well,” his voice cracking a bit during the postgame.

“We’ve got to come to a resolution soon so you guys quit asking me about it,” he added of Peters’ red-shirt status.

Self, who has indicated he will red-shirt Landen Lucas, has yet to make it official regarding Peters. He’s said it will be difficult for Peters to get in position to play as a freshman having missed so much time.

Sprint Center: KU red-shirt freshman forward Jamari Traylor on the Jayhawks going 1-2 in Sprint Center his true freshman year — losses to Davidson and Baylor and a win over Texas A&M.

“We actually don’t talk about losing there last year. We definitely don’t want to go in there and lose this year. We want to win,” Traylor said.

Traylor on playing back-to-back days so early in the season: “I really wouldn’t know about the mindset. It’s my first season playing. I’m looking at every game as a new chance, a new game to go out and do better. Every game is a challenge.”

Of playing a tourney in nearby Sprint Center instead of Maui like last year, sophomore Naadir Tharpe said: “It’s the same, a tournament, one we want to win. We approach it as that.”

Self on the CBE Classic being right down the road from Lawrence: “This tournament doesn’t have same feel as other tournaments. The first two games you play in nobody knows it’s part of the tournament (home wins over SE Missouri State and Chattanooga). I don’t even know if our players realized that. It is just a business trip. They are all just business trips. I like playing in Kansas City. It’s an unbelievable venue.”

This, that: Senior Kevin Young made his first start for the Jayhawks. He had 10 rebounds and four points in 18 minutes. ... KU is 15-4 all-time in Sprint Center, 200-78 in KC. .. KU hit seven of its first eight shots and ended the half at 16-for-25 (64 percent). ... KU’s 50 first-half points marks the most by the Jayhawks in a half since scoring 51 points at home against Oklahoma State (2/11/12). ... KU committed a season-low 11 personal fouls, the lowest since committing 11 against South Florida on (12/3/11). ... KU was 13-for-14 from the free throw line in the first half and 20-for-22 for the game. ... KU racked up its first 40-point lead of the year following a layup from Justin Wesley (72-31, 7:41, second half). ... Hall of Famer: Former KU All-American Clyde Lovellette was introduced to the crowd at halftime. He was inducted in the College Basketball Hall of Fame on Sunday.

Custer picks ISU: Clayton Custer, a 6-1 junior point guard from Blue Valley Northwest, on Monday orally committed to Iowa State. He chose the Cyclones over Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Kansas State and South Carolina and others.

Honors: Oklahoma State’s LeBryan Nash on Monday was named Big 12 player of the week. He averaged 20.0 points and 6.7 rebounds in wins over Akron, Tennessee and North Carolina State. OSU’s Marcus Smart was rookie of the week averaging 17 points and 8.3 boards in the three wins.

Comments

Neom 1 year, 11 months ago

Too much talent so as to redshirt two good players, while more talent coming in, that's a nice problem to have.

Jeremy Bolinger 1 year, 11 months ago

I love starting Kevin Young. Start him, gain the advantage, and sub as needed. Right now he is our best big opposite of Jeff.

Mike Bratisax 1 year, 11 months ago

Agree..Ellis and Traylor are both making solid contributions but KY is a very crafty player and deserves to start. At least for now.

Michael Pannacciulli 1 year, 11 months ago

Why do we care about Custer's pick of schools? Did we ever recruit him?

Was good to see the guys who bust their butts in practice see court time last night.

Taylor looked good. The BMac put back was nasty.

jhox 1 year, 11 months ago

Custer would have been at most a preferred walk on at KU. He's lucky to get the ISU scholarship. He's a decent enough offensive player but his size will limit him, especially on the defensive end of the floor.

jc1306 1 year, 11 months ago

Lucky to get the Iowa State scholarship? He had offers from KSU, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, South Carolina, Houston, and Tulsa. I'd say he had plenty of options. He is ranked in the top 100 in the 2014 class.

Jack Wilson 1 year, 11 months ago

Just some observations/opinions:

Custer is listed as the exact same size as Conner Frankamp .. 6'0", 160.

Custer is ranked in the Rivals top 100 -- #97.

A guy ranked at that spot is not lucky to get an ISU scholarship.

Even if he ends up in the 100-150 range, history shows we get point guards at KU in that territory -- see Frank Mason.

To say that he would be just a "preferred walk-on" at KU is, well, just an opinion. I'll leave it at that. I will say that top 100 guys aren't preferred walkons, even at KU.

KU did not appear to be a major player, though we have been listed in connection with Custer. That's I'm sure because we're targeting the top PGs in the 2014 class right now .. Jones, Mudiay, etc. Guys at the 97 spot are generally fall back plans. Again, see Mason.

Zstegs 1 year, 11 months ago

Custer is a local kid who we are keeping an eye on. Kid is a lifelong KU fan ala Frankamp and Ellis, and if he has a breakout JR/SR year I wouldn't be surprised to see him reconsider.

minnhawk84 1 year, 11 months ago

I remember many of those 200 wins coming at the Municipal Auditorium at the Big 8 Preseason Tournament over Christmas. It was fun because of the speed of the tourney. For three years I sat on the floor with the SM South pep band as we provided the music for the tourney -- the college pep bands didn't show up because of Christmas break.

REHawk 1 year, 11 months ago

I really cherish my memories of spectator trips to Municipal Auditorium for basketball, indoor track and field, Golden Gloves boxing. What a grand old site for its time and place.

jaybate 1 year, 11 months ago

"To the Big Eight Christmas Tourney"

Part 1

I attended every first and second round of the Big Eight XMAS Tourney from the age of 4 to the age 18. I loved everything about it. I loved the program that had all eight teams rosters, player pictures, coaches pictures and team and historical tournament stats. I loved the smoke in the air. I loved being able to hear Henry Iba beller all the way up in the first, or second loge. I remember all the beautiful art deco light fixtures and railing clocks at each end of the arena. And I endlessly eyed the oval curvature of the ceiling and the little darkened windows on the edge of the oval. I never figured out if those were windows, or ventilation portholes. I love the guys shouting, "Frost malts, frost malts, get your frosty malts here" and how we passed money down the row to the aisle to the frost malt man and how the frosty malt with spoon came back along with the change. No one ever thought about keeping the money. No credit cards. Everything was real. But most of all, I loved walking down from our seats, through the tunnels into the concourse to go to the restrooms, an then to get a coke, and then to walk holding my dad's hand until we found some team in street clothes standing that would not play till tomorrow, or had been beaten already, and I got to see these unbelievably tall young men standing around in their unbelivably long camel haired overcoats, or their snappy long lined rain coats behaving with amazing distinction. Everyone mingled. No one asked for autographs much. We just wanted to stand next to them and measure ourselves against these marvelous athletes. And the coolest of them always had fine caps or narrow brim hats. The players were always dressed so fine. In a group, they always looked like a really tall jazz band waiting for a bus, or a train, or a plane. And the most marvelous moment of all was the night I got to stand next to Jo Jo White, who was dressed impeccably and looked more cool than almost any guy in the movies I ever saw, except maybe for Cary Grant, or Sean Connery. And then there was the long, endlessy fascinating walk under the magical tunnel that lead from the underground parking garage,m which seemed to me then one of the 8 engineering wonders of the world, over to the Muehlbach Hotel where my Dad would go to meet some business friends in the lobby that were in town for the tournament and staying at the hotel.

jaybate 1 year, 11 months ago

Part 2

The entire tournament was a magnificient Christmas present for me every year. Oh, how I wish young boys and girls had something like this today. You didn't have to be rich to go to the Big Eight Christmas tournament. If your family was having a lean year, then you went down and on semifinal night, when some teams had been eliminated and you and your dad stood out front, clasping your gloved hands together and stomping your feet to stay warm, and bought tickets at a discount for a semi final game, and no matter what the seller said, you were never sure where the seats were really going to be. But you always got in and you always got warm, and you always had a magnificient time at the Big Eight Christmas tournament.

RockChalk!

HawksWin 1 year, 11 months ago

Wow JB, that is a beautiful Christmas story! Thanks for sharing & you captured it so well that I felt I was right there too. What glorious time you had. Hope you were able to pass it on to your kids - perhaps not the same but nonetheless beautiful memories.

Mike Bratisax 1 year, 11 months ago

A+ Reading Material. Thanks for sharing jb.

John Randall 1 year, 11 months ago

The Municipal Auditorium was also the sight for the NAIA National Tournament, which was a grand event, for many years.

John Boyle 1 year, 11 months ago

You must be old! LOL I remember those tournaments as well.

jaybate 1 year, 11 months ago

90 year old vertical.

30 year old mind.

18 year old want to in romance.

112 year old recharge after romance. :-)

clevelandjayhawker 1 year, 11 months ago

How about Chaminade?

Props to Young for playing just two weeks after breaking a bone in his hand, he is only going to get better as that hand heals.

Wesley showed some great energy too, no need for Peters to play this year when we have so many great players at the 4 spot. Would love to see Ellis play the three for a little.

Robert Brock 1 year, 11 months ago

Ellis cannot and will not play the three. Ever.

sarcastichawk 1 year, 11 months ago

Wesley is awful. I cringe every time he touches the ball

yates33333 1 year, 11 months ago

“We’ve got to come to a resolution soon so you guys quit asking me about it,” he [Self] added of Peters’ red-shirt status."

NO! Don't stop asking. I hope Peters is staying at KU and can bring the other big, Julius Randall, from Prestonwood, the private school where they played, to join him here next year.

KEITHMILES05 1 year, 11 months ago

Yates: you are hoping for something which very well may not be true.

Matt Kenton 1 year, 11 months ago

So you think Peters is transferring or is there another reason he will not play for KU?

Luca Rossi 1 year, 11 months ago

So can we cross Texas off of Julius Randle's list now? I mean come on, losing to a D2 school is bad. Lets get real here, would a talent like him really want to play for that kind of school next year???

clevelandjayhawker 1 year, 11 months ago

Thought the same thing about otto and deandre daniels looked good too. Those two recruits stick out to me as the ones I thought for sure we would sign and didnt. Time will tell though.

connhawk 1 year, 11 months ago

I agree wholeheartedly on Otto Porter. The kid is a fantastic, hard-working player, and seems like a nice kid too. I still think we could have landed him if he had given us a visit...

Also, he just hit a clutch 3 and then a nice 2 to send GTown to overtime vs Indiana.

AsadZ 1 year, 11 months ago

I do not have a good feeling about Peters.

I am thinking of two possible scenarios:

1. Peters has decided to transfer. With crowded field and potential high ranked future recruits he does not foresee much PT and has decided to leave the program.

2. HCBS has realized that Peters career is over. He is so far behind that he can't play this year and his future is uncertain, so HCBS wants to use his scholarship to get another BIG

I hope I am wrong on both scenarios.

clevelandjayhawker 1 year, 11 months ago

is all this speculation due to the fact he wasnt on the bench?

to me he is good player that had an untimely injury (not that there is a great time) and a likely red shirt who was too ill to even sit on the bench for a game.

RJ King 1 year, 11 months ago

Based on his play in Europe and he and his Dad's comments about toughness and work ethic, I don't see Zack transferring over playing time, development, or talent issues.

I do see that there is a lot of anxiety about what this injury is and where is might lead. I think all of the mystery is injury related. Really feel for him.

AsadZ 1 year, 11 months ago

Bay, I hope so as well. I really like this kid and after watching his play in Europe I also felt that he would have a great career at KU.

I hope we get clear direction from KU on his status soon.

Steve Reigle 1 year, 11 months ago

Jamari Traylor looks to me an awful lot like Thomas Robinson as a freshman. He may be a bit smaller but he's probably still growing. And the motor, the instincts and the aggressiveness are there. I suspect this kid has a great future if he can avoid serious injury. I'm looking forward to watching his development.

Mike Bratisax 1 year, 11 months ago

His hustle reminds me of Richard Scott..one of my all-time favorite players.. Scott always seemed to know where the ball was going to be, a hard player to live up to.

Mike Bratisax 1 year, 11 months ago

“We’ve got to come to a resolution soon so you guys quit asking me about it,”

That's their job Coach.

John Randall 1 year, 11 months ago

J, don't you suppose the context and delivery of that quote might have included just a little ironic humor?