Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Notebook: Zach Peters not on KU bench because of illness

The Kansas bench waits with anticipation for a bucket from a reserve player during the second half of the CBE Classic, Monday, Nov. 19, 2012 at the Sprint Center in Kansas City, Missouri.

Podcast episode

Press Conferences & Post-Game Interviews

KU coach Bill Self talks after 78-41 win over Washington State

KU coach Bill Self talks to reporters after his team's 78-41 win over Washington State on Nov. 19, 2012.

Download podcast

Podcast episode

Press Conferences & Post-Game Interviews

Travis Releford and Kevin Young

Kansas seniors Travis Releford and Kevin Young talk to reporters following the Jayhawks' 78-41 victory over Washington State on Nov. 19, 2012.

Download podcast

Box score

KU-WSU

Kansas University freshman forward Zach Peters did not sit on the bench or behind the bench during the Jayhawks’ 78-41 rout of Washington State on Monday night in Sprint Center.

Peters, who has not practiced all season because of a rotator cuff injury, was ill.

“He said he didn’t feel well at all. He was under the weather,” said Self, who also revealed he personally was “not feeling well,” his voice cracking a bit during the postgame.

“We’ve got to come to a resolution soon so you guys quit asking me about it,” he added of Peters’ red-shirt status.

Self, who has indicated he will red-shirt Landen Lucas, has yet to make it official regarding Peters. He’s said it will be difficult for Peters to get in position to play as a freshman having missed so much time.

Sprint Center: KU red-shirt freshman forward Jamari Traylor on the Jayhawks going 1-2 in Sprint Center his true freshman year — losses to Davidson and Baylor and a win over Texas A&M.

“We actually don’t talk about losing there last year. We definitely don’t want to go in there and lose this year. We want to win,” Traylor said.

Traylor on playing back-to-back days so early in the season: “I really wouldn’t know about the mindset. It’s my first season playing. I’m looking at every game as a new chance, a new game to go out and do better. Every game is a challenge.”

Of playing a tourney in nearby Sprint Center instead of Maui like last year, sophomore Naadir Tharpe said: “It’s the same, a tournament, one we want to win. We approach it as that.”

Self on the CBE Classic being right down the road from Lawrence: “This tournament doesn’t have same feel as other tournaments. The first two games you play in nobody knows it’s part of the tournament (home wins over SE Missouri State and Chattanooga). I don’t even know if our players realized that. It is just a business trip. They are all just business trips. I like playing in Kansas City. It’s an unbelievable venue.”

This, that: Senior Kevin Young made his first start for the Jayhawks. He had 10 rebounds and four points in 18 minutes. ... KU is 15-4 all-time in Sprint Center, 200-78 in KC. .. KU hit seven of its first eight shots and ended the half at 16-for-25 (64 percent). ... KU’s 50 first-half points marks the most by the Jayhawks in a half since scoring 51 points at home against Oklahoma State (2/11/12). ... KU committed a season-low 11 personal fouls, the lowest since committing 11 against South Florida on (12/3/11). ... KU was 13-for-14 from the free throw line in the first half and 20-for-22 for the game. ... KU racked up its first 40-point lead of the year following a layup from Justin Wesley (72-31, 7:41, second half). ... Hall of Famer: Former KU All-American Clyde Lovellette was introduced to the crowd at halftime. He was inducted in the College Basketball Hall of Fame on Sunday.

Custer picks ISU: Clayton Custer, a 6-1 junior point guard from Blue Valley Northwest, on Monday orally committed to Iowa State. He chose the Cyclones over Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Kansas State and South Carolina and others.

Honors: Oklahoma State’s LeBryan Nash on Monday was named Big 12 player of the week. He averaged 20.0 points and 6.7 rebounds in wins over Akron, Tennessee and North Carolina State. OSU’s Marcus Smart was rookie of the week averaging 17 points and 8.3 boards in the three wins.

Comments

Mike Bratisax 1 year, 5 months ago

“We’ve got to come to a resolution soon so you guys quit asking me about it,”

That's their job Coach.

iamakufan 1 year, 5 months ago

Jamari Traylor looks to me an awful lot like Thomas Robinson as a freshman. He may be a bit smaller but he's probably still growing. And the motor, the instincts and the aggressiveness are there. I suspect this kid has a great future if he can avoid serious injury. I'm looking forward to watching his development.

AsadZ 1 year, 5 months ago

I do not have a good feeling about Peters.

I am thinking of two possible scenarios:

1. Peters has decided to transfer. With crowded field and potential high ranked future recruits he does not foresee much PT and has decided to leave the program.

2. HCBS has realized that Peters career is over. He is so far behind that he can't play this year and his future is uncertain, so HCBS wants to use his scholarship to get another BIG

I hope I am wrong on both scenarios.

Konkis Dongington III 1 year, 5 months ago

The only thing depressing about last night was watching Otto Porter and Georgetown knock off UCLA. Man, was that kid ever the one that got away. He only took one visit and committed on the spot. He can do it all at the 3 and 4 spots and he was right around the corner from us the whole time. He's got a lot of the same skills that Perry Ellis has, but that extra toughness and game mentality that Self is always trying to draw out of his guys. I hope we can wrap up this recruiting season by picking up a big with that kind of game face. I saw the link about Cothron the other day from HEM. While I'm sorry to see he's having trouble, it makes me wonder if he couldn't transfer to a D1 team at semester or is he just completely jacked up? If he could, he can use the scholly we have out right now. I don't love our chances with Randle and I don't have any sense of where Dakari Johnson sees himself going. I don't know where else we can find an immediate impact big if not one of them or Cothron.

Luca Rossi 1 year, 5 months ago

So can we cross Texas off of Julius Randle's list now? I mean come on, losing to a D2 school is bad. Lets get real here, would a talent like him really want to play for that kind of school next year???

KEITHMILES05 1 year, 5 months ago

Yates: you are hoping for something which very well may not be true.

yates33333 1 year, 5 months ago

“We’ve got to come to a resolution soon so you guys quit asking me about it,” he [Self] added of Peters’ red-shirt status."

NO! Don't stop asking. I hope Peters is staying at KU and can bring the other big, Julius Randall, from Prestonwood, the private school where they played, to join him here next year.

clevelandjayhawker 1 year, 5 months ago

How about Chaminade?

Props to Young for playing just two weeks after breaking a bone in his hand, he is only going to get better as that hand heals.

Wesley showed some great energy too, no need for Peters to play this year when we have so many great players at the 4 spot. Would love to see Ellis play the three for a little.

minnhawk84 1 year, 5 months ago

I remember many of those 200 wins coming at the Municipal Auditorium at the Big 8 Preseason Tournament over Christmas. It was fun because of the speed of the tourney. For three years I sat on the floor with the SM South pep band as we provided the music for the tourney -- the college pep bands didn't show up because of Christmas break.

Michael Pannacciulli 1 year, 5 months ago

Why do we care about Custer's pick of schools? Did we ever recruit him?

Was good to see the guys who bust their butts in practice see court time last night.

Taylor looked good. The BMac put back was nasty.

Jeremy Bolinger 1 year, 5 months ago

I love starting Kevin Young. Start him, gain the advantage, and sub as needed. Right now he is our best big opposite of Jeff.

Neom 1 year, 5 months ago

Too much talent so as to redshirt two good players, while more talent coming in, that's a nice problem to have.