Tuesday, November 20, 2012

KU football announces 2013 schedule

The Kansas football will host seven home games in 2013, including the regular-season finale against Kansas State, as the team's 2013 schedule was approved by the Big 12 athletic directors Tuesday morning.

KU will open the 2013 season by hosting South Dakota at Memorial Stadium on Saturday, Sept. 7. In other non-conference games, KU will host Louisiana Tech on Sept. 21 and also will travel to Rice on Saturday, Sept. 14.

The 2013 Big 12 slate features a 10-team, nine-game, round-robin schedule for the third straight season, and dates are subject to change as adjustments are expected to accommodate television requests. Any changes must be turned into the Big 12 by July 1.

2013 Kansas Football Schedule

Sept. 7 — SOUTH DAKOTA

Sept. 14 — at Rice

Sept. 21 — LOUISIANA TECH

Oct. 5 — TEXAS TECH*

Oct. 12 — at TCU*

Oct. 19 — OKLAHOMA*

Oct. 26 — BAYLOR*

Nov. 2 — at Texas*

Nov. 9 — at Oklahoma State*

Nov. 16 — WEST VIRGINIA*

Nov. 23 — at Iowa State*

Nov. 30 — KANSAS STATE*

*Denotes Big 12 Conference game.

Comments

ahpersecoachingexperience 1 year, 8 months ago

Assuming we can pull of an upset or two I think we might go 2-10

Keith Hummel 1 year, 8 months ago

lol - Not as prolific as you used to be, but you've still got it. Let's hope KU exceeds expectations next year.

SaltLakeHawk 1 year, 8 months ago

my reaction to this comment:

Kansas head coach Bill Self questions an errant pass by the Jayhawks during the first half of the CBE Classic, Monday, Nov. 19, 2012 at the Sprint Center in Kansas City, Missouri. by Nick Krug

Doug Cramer 1 year, 8 months ago

ralster = delusional football fan

Keith Hummel 1 year, 8 months ago

Love that we are playing K-State the last weekend. Exactly as it should be. Now all we have to do is put together a team that can actually compete with them.

Saguaro_Jayhawk 1 year, 8 months ago

How so? It should be missou, but they ran away.

Tried Iowa State as season finale for about 4 seasons during Terry Allen years, but it did not match up to moo. Doubt KSU will either.

shelleysue 1 year, 8 months ago

Nothing will match up to the Missouri rivalry. Stupid Missouri for leaving and taking away our fun.

pepper_bar 1 year, 8 months ago

La Tech will be much weaker next season than they are this season. 3-0 non con is possible.

Winnable league games early vs TTech and @ TCU, if Heaps is as good as advertised. How sweet would it be to start the season 5-0? Gets much tougher after that, but one upset win, and KU goes bowling!

Kent Wells 1 year, 8 months ago

I saw this kind of talk next year and oh my... I hope you are right, but I think the O-line is going to be much worse.... I say 4 wins, and that includes an upset.

NebraskaJayhawk 1 year, 8 months ago

Plus they don't have Bobby Boucher anymore at LB.

jhawkln 1 year, 8 months ago

that's funny stuff right there. i don't care who you are

meremy 1 year, 8 months ago

Comment of the day nominee

Dirk Medema 1 year, 8 months ago

Starting 3-0 would be huge in itself.

actorman 1 year, 8 months ago

At this point starting 1-0 would be huge.

Kyle Coffey 1 year, 8 months ago

Best home schedule we've had in a while. Tech, Baylor, OU, WVU and KSU all at home in conference. Also like at OSU with possibly making the trip to Stillwater for that one. Not too big of a fan of Texas and OSU back to back on the road. Overall pretty good schedule. Excited for next year already! Excited we don't have to hear about KU/KSU til the end of the year. I think this will be a regular occurence to have this rivalry game as the last game every year. As it should be.

Doug Cramer 1 year, 8 months ago

pepper-bar - dude you're about as delusional as all these Mizzou fans I have to deal with all the time.

jayhawkarmy 1 year, 8 months ago

I like it, also would be cool if the played in arrowhead...Hell chiefs can't win there someone should!

Joe Joseph 1 year, 8 months ago

Plenty of teams win in arrowhead...

texashawk10 1 year, 8 months ago

Why would two schools in Kansas play a game in Missouri?

clevelandjayhawker 1 year, 8 months ago

Hope Rice's kicker graduates this May.

Rivethead 1 year, 8 months ago

More importantly, Rice's 4 year starter QB does......

Jacob Zutterman 1 year, 8 months ago

I hope Heaps isn't like Crist. I've heard good things about Heaps, but then again, I did about Crist. If our QB play is better than it was this year, I think we'll be OK. I'm sure Campo will do a fine job with the Defense. I do agree with newtonhawk on this one about the home schedule. I like the looks of the schedule. Watching our boys this year, we could've been a 5 win team. We definately hung around in some games that we shouldn't of been in. I think we could get a 7 win season with a couple of upsets considering our competitiveness this year. That's my prediction...

hailtoku 1 year, 8 months ago

2-10

Wins over South Dakota and Rice.

Reuben_J_Cogburn 1 year, 8 months ago

Negative, sir. Rice is a road game. KU does not win road games. regardless of the level of competition.

Rivethead 1 year, 8 months ago

I agree with your prediction. 2-10. While Rice is on the road, Rice's home field advantage is nothing to write home about.

Reuben_J_Cogburn 1 year, 8 months ago

2-10. South Dakota and Louisiana Tech (La Tech by a slim margin)

Sorry folks. Same stuff, different year.

Chris Bailey 1 year, 8 months ago

Can we quit predicting a Big12 win? We have won one in the last 3 years! Lets shoot for one as a fan base! If we win more then I'll eat crow but setting ourselves up for failure isn't a smart thing to do. Our recruiting class doesn't look that great to me. We have a couple good players but really how many are gonna help us next year? We're 1-11 until I see different. Period!

Reuben_J_Cogburn 1 year, 8 months ago

Few of us will predict a Big XII win. And those who do are delusional.

I admit I was guilty of drinking the Kool-Aid before this season. But we got a solid dose of reality. KU football cannot...I repeat...cannot compete in the Big XII conference. The ability to do so would take more than a two-year rebuilding period. It would literally take decades to accomplish.

We have a coach who has never proven he can coach in college, the same reoccurring players who are scared to play the game, a fair-weather fanbase that doesn't deserve a football team, and a slew of rich boosters that only care about basketball.

The University of Kansas is a one-trick pony. We need to accept that and move on. We're at the pinnacle of college basketball, and we should be damn proud of it.

Chris Bailey 1 year, 8 months ago

I'm definitely not drinking your Kool-aid. We can compete and we can compete in 3-4 years. We just need to get kids to buy into the program. Our fans will come out it we win. I think that is typical of fans. You lose you're not gonna pack the house. You win and games will sell out. Do I see us winning much next year? No I really don't. But I am still hopeful we will. But I'm not gonna start this predicting 6 wins crap in the middle of a 10 loss in a row season. I wanna see what we do in a real game next year. Heaps may be better than advertised. Our D may improve. We'll just have to wait and see. Getting Ty McKinney who committed in the spring to show up in January. He was suppose to be a gamer. We'll see.

doolindalton 1 year, 8 months ago

If Weis can accomplish a turnaround on the same schedule as Mangino, we are due for mediocrity (4-7 wins) for the next four seasons and a big splash in 2017. Why, that's right around the corner.

Kevin Huffman 1 year, 8 months ago

Um, wasn't it NOT THAT LONG ago when Mangino had us in the Orange Bowl where we beat Va. Tech?!?!?!

Sorry, but that wasn't DECADES ago!!!

Tyler Bruce 1 year, 8 months ago

Not to be Debbie Downer on your comment, but to qualify the Orange Bowl season, we didn't play Texas, OU or Tech that year.

I think one of the things we have to do is be a little patient with Weis. Think about all the kids he cut because "they weren't D1 athletes". He's LITERALLY starting from scratch. I think if we give him the opportunity, in 4 years we will see drastic improvement.. 7-5, 8-4 type seasons with maybe a 2007 season in sprinkled in there every now and again.

Reuben_J_Cogburn 1 year, 8 months ago

He won't be here in 4 years. 3 at the most.

LSHawk 1 year, 8 months ago

Thats mighty big talk for a one eyed fat man! And its totally wrong also.

jgkojak 1 year, 8 months ago

Sept. 7 — SOUTH DAKOTA WIN

Sept. 14 — at Rice WIN - if we lose this one it will be a long season and Weis will be fighting to keep his job

Sept. 21 — LOUISIANA TECH WIN

Oct. 5 — TEXAS TECH* LOSS

Oct. 12 — at TCU* LOSS

Oct. 19 — OKLAHOMA* LOSS

Oct. 26 — BAYLOR* POSSIBLE WIN

Nov. 2 — at Texas* LOSS

Nov. 9 — at Oklahoma State* LOSS

Nov. 16 — WEST VIRGINIA* LOSS

Nov. 23 — at Iowa State* POSSIBLE WIN

Nov. 30 — KANSAS STATE* LOSS

We could win 5 - should win 3 - so I say we'll win 4 games next year

Reuben_J_Cogburn 1 year, 8 months ago

I'm not going to consider a game at Iowa State a "possible win." This would be the same Iowa State who beat the living crap out of us at home...with a third-string quarterback.

Baylor also dominated us and beat K-State. Even at home, that's a "probable loss."

The rest I will agree with, but I'm sorry, a road game at Rice is a loss. You're right...Weis will be fighting for his job starting September 15th, 2013.

90sHawk 1 year, 8 months ago

Hell will freeze over before they fire Weis after 2 seasons. Not going to happen.

Tyler Bruce 1 year, 8 months ago

It would be outrageous to fire Weis after next season, regardless of record. I did agree with the Turner Gill firing (he just wasn't competitive), but a program can't succeed turning over their coaching staff every two years. I know we all want to be good, but when did we get this entitlement attitude in football? We're a .500 program.. forever (technically less, but I think everyone understands my point). If you think we're going to hire a coach and in two years we'll have a national power, you're crazy!

Dirk Medema 1 year, 8 months ago

I'd guess that TG lost his job more because of all the off field stuff (How many failing grades?) than the on field results. Pulling another 3.0 and having an actual plan for the program alone will get you a couple extra years. By then, we'll be winning regularly.

Dirk Medema 1 year, 8 months ago

"...with a third-string quarterback"

He was better than their 1st or 2nd string QB

Rivethead 1 year, 8 months ago

....but still their 3rd string.

Boouk 1 year, 8 months ago

But still their starter for the rest of his career

Boouk 1 year, 8 months ago

WVU, KSU and TTU are winnable games.

Dee Shaw 1 year, 8 months ago

LA. Tech will roll KU. If you wanted a good coach you should have gotten Sonny Dykes at LA. Tech. Sound coach. No worries though. KU went with another disaster hire with Weiss. By the time they figured they made the wrong hire with Weiss and decide to offer the job to Dykes he will already be gone from LA Tech coaching somewhere like Tennessee, Arkansas, Auburn or Colorado.

JayDocMD 1 year, 8 months ago

What are you, his agent? No worries, but there's one S in Weis dpsht74

Joe Joseph 1 year, 8 months ago

Weiss won't be fighting for his job unless the school is rocked by some scandal. He's guaranteed five years I believe. No way the school buys him out after buying out turner gill for millions and millions. Weiss would be far more likely to resign and forfeit his salary than he would be fired.

clevelandjayhawker 1 year, 8 months ago

Can we play the win losses game starting in April? Would like to do a couple of things first (see who we get for recruits/transfers, catch a spring game, and Id like to make a trip to Lawrence to catch a parade around April 10th or so)

Summers drag for sports information, I just dont like having nothing to read about come July.

Reuben_J_Cogburn 1 year, 8 months ago

And can somebody explain to me how year in and year out, Iowa State is always feared by other teams for the upset and can consistently compete...but the University of Kansas can't?

Honestly, a crappy school in the middle of freakin' Iowa is more feared by Big XII teams than KU...a national brand.

Are our players and coaches that talentless and gutless? Is it a curse? Did we wrong someone in another life?

I'm asking for answers.

Boouk 1 year, 8 months ago

ISU has way more than talent than we do, especially at QB and in the kicking game. How can you expect to compete against all these top 25 offenses with a bad QB and bad WR's who can't catch?

Reuben_J_Cogburn 1 year, 8 months ago

But why? Why are their QB's and WR's always so much more talented than ours?

Is it recruiting? Coaching?

How can we be consistently worse at recruiting and coaching than Iowa State?

Doesn't make sense at face value.

Boouk 1 year, 8 months ago

It's because of Turner Gill setting our program way behind. Justin McCay also isn't eligible this year. We've beat out ISU for several recruits in this year's class.

90sHawk 1 year, 8 months ago

Year after year? So ISU has been an "upset" powerhouse for the last 20 years.? Please. Fact is, they've found a good head coach who they are giving time to build (even extending his deal). Doesn't hurt he knows the landscape at ISU as he coached their before under McCarney.

Dirk Medema 1 year, 8 months ago

"Year after year"

You sound like a pre-schooler with no concept of time when 4 years ago is "forever".

How long was it that they hd Chizik? He should be available any day now. Are you suggesting that we just cut to the chase and hire him now so we can have him start building another feared program.

Where is that sarcasm font when you need it?

Keith Hummel 1 year, 8 months ago

I'm not ready to go all "Rooster Cogburn" and give up on the entire concept of KU Football, but I HAVE learned to temper my expectations. Until he proves otherwise Heaps is just a big unknown. Same for McCay. I don't want to hear any more stories about 5-star transfers and "The Cavalry" from Coach Weis. Enough talk, Jersey Boy! It's time to see progress where it really matters - the record. Until then any prognostications about how good this team will be is just pointless brain farting.

Reuben_J_Cogburn 1 year, 8 months ago

I've been dedicated. Will always be dedicated, and my family and I will always be season ticket holders.

But reality is reality.

As for your "Cavalry" stance and the Jersey Boy comment...I couldn't agree more. We've been pumped full of crap for 3 years now, and our record keeps getting worse and worse.

He's supposedly honest...but we honestly suck. And until someone acknowledges that, we will continue to suck until conference realignment sweeps through again and puts us out of our misery.

Keith Hummel 1 year, 8 months ago

Please don't get me wrong - I don't for an instant question your dedication. I think your actually just voicing the frustration, embarrassment, and fatigue all of us are feeling. In fact, I'm guessing it's precisely because you've been such a loyal supporter for so long that your so frustrated. As you said, we've had one load of crap after another jammed down our throats for the past 3 years, and yet our record is worse than ever. I saw signs of progress this year, so I'm still on board, but I don't want to hear any more B.S. about how good we're going to be. We have been, still are, and will continue to be the worst team in the Big-12 until proven otherwise.

Chris Bailey 1 year, 8 months ago

Wow! That was to the point! And very true! Like the Jersey Boy comment! And so true about hearing about the 5 star kids. Their stars mean nothing. They transferred here for a reason and it's not because they were setting the world on fire at their previous school. I hope Heaps and McCay pan out and have much more hope for them than for Crist. He was a bust at ND and I sipped the Kool-aid and bought everything Weis said. He was terrible. No way we strike out 3 times on 5 star players. But two guys don't make you relevant in the Big12. We need serious help on both sides of the ball. Hopefully we see major improvement year 2 of the Weis experience!

Keith Hummel 1 year, 8 months ago

Yea, that was probably a little too blunt. I'm in vent mode now. I still believe Weis is a good coach and that he can turn the program around, but I reserve the right to be a cynic. I get irritated now when people talk about us beating this Big-12 team or that one. We haven't won a conference game since we got lucky against a terrible CSU team in 2010, so how about we actually beat a Big-12 team, any team, just one.

I actually like the whole Jersey thing, and I think Weis is kind of funny, but I've often wondered how funny he's gonna be after we suck. I think his shtick might be getting old with folks, and he better start showing some progress or he'll find out us nice Midwest folks aren't always so nice.

Doug Cramer 1 year, 8 months ago

I never drank the kool-aid. I said all pre-season last year that we would be lucky to win 3 games. Oh how I was criticized and called "negative nancy".

Look - we're in BIG TROUBLE 3-4 years from now. Weis is recruiting the hell out of JuCO transfers...and not recruiting or developing any young talent.

Open up your eyes KU nation. This program is in shambles from a talent perspective.

With that said...I thought Coach Weis and Coach Campo did an OK job for what they had...especially once we decided Crist wasn't the answer. But these guys need TALENT...and we just don't have it

Tyler Bruce 1 year, 8 months ago

That's how Bill Snyder did it. I think it's worked out well for him.... Twice.

Seriously, I'm not trying to be a dick, but we don't really need to develop talent right now, we need people that can perform on the field. That's not a true freshman (generally). The young talent and development will come, but we need people who can play right now.

Doug Cramer 1 year, 8 months ago

Weis is no Coach Snyder. I like Weis...but he needs talent. Snyder can turn programs around without the talent.

Dirk Medema 1 year, 8 months ago

CW & Co are recruiting lots of HS players. They just won't be signing for at least another year or 2. It's the plan he laid out from day 1. Pay attention and it will make more sense, or you can be arrogant and ignorant and blame the coach.

Doug Cramer 1 year, 8 months ago

dagger108 - I'm paying attention...which is what more KU fans need to do.

Look - I like coach Weis. He did fine with what he had this season. But from a recruiting angle...it's not looking good dude. He's not getting a lot of the recruits he's going after.

Last years freshman class lacks more talent than most Conference USA teams. This year's class is shaping up the same way.

OK Dagger...do I have your attention...are you paying attention now ? Maybe you need to dig a little deeper...and pay attention.

JhawkalumJB 1 year, 8 months ago

To avoid disappointment I will expect to lose every game next year. I'm tiring of getting my hopes up for 'winnable' games. The Iowa St. game was a brutal reminder of that. I went thinking, 'you know what we are due, we can do this...' and then reality was we got rolled by them. It's a sad cycle, optimism, disappointment, optimism, disappointment..... To avoid the cycle...

Heaps is Crist 2.0

McCay has no hands

0-12 in 2013....

Boouk 1 year, 8 months ago

South Dakota- win- Weis shows little of what the offense will look like in conference play 38-13. At Rice-win- their kicker graduates and we'll have James Sims for that game 35-24. LTU-win- our defense looks bad but we win in a shootout 42-38. TTU-win- They lose Doege and Cody Davis and we still almost beat them in Lubbock 35-31. At TCU-loss- Devonte Fields gets 3 sacks 24-31. OU-loss- Bell looks like Cam Newton at Auburn vs. KU's defense 24-42. Baylor-loss- Baylor screens Campo's zone coverages to death 31-41. At Texas-loss- vd finally admits he thinks Gill's a better coach than Weis 24-35. At OSU-loss- Heaps and Lunt both top 350 yards, but Heaps throws 1 more INT 35-45. WVU-win- For the first time since 2009, KU has as much talent as their Big 12 opponent 38-31. At ISU-loss- Sam Richardson looks a lot like he did Saturday vs. KU defense 24-35. KSU-loss- KU still can't stop KSU's running game, even though they lose Klein and several underrated o-linemen 31-38. 5-7 record.

Ryan McAtee 1 year, 8 months ago

Looks like a tough schedule again, but keep in mind we're in the Big12 folks... I am just as upset about this year as most. Being a seson ticket holder since 2000, I have enjoyed the Ups (2006-2009) and have loathed the Downs (Late 90s-2005, Turner - present). I hate losing, but this school is my alma mater, so I will be excited going into every football season. I get so sick of all you naysayers that have nothing better to do than to remind everyone that we are a bad football team... guess what... I know. It makes me sick that 95% of you are already predicting a horrible season next year... let's finish this one first. We still have about half of a recruiting class left to sign, we have the best running backs in the Big 12, a pretty decent QB and some WR's and an improved Defense coming back in 2013. Although we have been losing, we are still landing some decent recruits, so Weis and Co. are still selling this football program in living rooms to recruits and parents. I don't know if some of you have been watching the games this year, but we are showing signs of life... yes, that's my reference to Major League... perhaps this team can be of the football variety next year. Let's give these guys some credit... for the most part they are competing, and I think that will improve into next year. If all you want to do is talk crap on this team, get a better hobby, as you sound like a mizzou fan. ROCK CHALK!

Jack Jones 1 year, 8 months ago

Well spoken, Friend Mac - Regardless of the W-L record, it is clear that this year's team, with essentially the same players as last year, has played better, shown greater toughness and been more competitive playing against some very good Big 12 football teams, than teams of the recent past years. As a 60+ year Jayhawk fan, I continue to look forward to each season with optimism and excitement - something I would hope every true KU supporter would/could feel. I, too, get really tired of 'hearing' all the whining, bitching and moaning criticism that appears far, far too often on this site. And, yes, I do 'get it' - those of you who do that 'have a right' to "express your opinion". But it is my opinion, that when you do, you are first, saying more about yourselves, and less about the subject at hand. Constructive, articulate, well reasoned criticism OK - the other kind, not so much! ROCK CHALK, JAYHAWK!

hawkdds 1 year, 8 months ago

I watched LA Tech twice this year and unless they graduate a bunch they will be a top 25 team again next year, we need to temper our expectations, after all we'll have a rusty QB again.

90sHawk 1 year, 8 months ago

La Tech graduates 30+ players

Micky Baker 1 year, 8 months ago

Still all this negativity. The fans won't deserve a program until they become a part of building it. The fans don't have to do any of the work, but they do a lot of whining.

Lloyd Kinnison 1 year, 8 months ago

Let us think positive. KU will be 6-6 next year at minimum.

stm62 1 year, 8 months ago

Wasn't the '07 season a BLAST to watch?!!! There was something to look forward to every Fall Saturday. In the preseason NOBODY dreamed of an Orange Bowl invitation or victory.

nomansland 1 year, 8 months ago

0-12 next year. Book it. This team hasn't progressed as the last home game against ISU proved.

Brak 1 year, 8 months ago

Nice prediction Nostradumbass, I hope it comes true like your last prediction:

nomansland wrote on March 9th, 20012: "A typical Self-coached Kansas team save for 2008: Overachievers during the regular season but chokers when it comes to tournament time. I'm looking for KU to choke in a 1st or 2nd round loss to another yet unknown mid-major. It's become too typical now."

Fail much?

Sorry, Brak.

The man has a point. And we should have all learned our lesson about 5-star transfers. First of all, Heaps will be rusty. Secondly, being great in practice does not translate to being a great college football player. According to the staff, Crist was the second coming in practice.

I can't reiterate this enough...A quarterback, even a 5-star recruit, is worth nothing until he proves it on the field.

Until we see proof, South Dakota is the only probable win.

Savion Havon 1 year, 8 months ago

Will be a interesting season . Spring ball will tell it all I hope it's really a open competition and not all scripted like last year

jhawkln 1 year, 8 months ago

I was ready to say 4 wins and improvement until the Iowa St. game. I expect a 1-2 win season again.

Jim Jackson 1 year, 8 months ago

I do not agree with a lot of the posters on here.

We are a QB a WR and kicker away from being 6-6 or 5-7. Who knew that Crist had absolutely no mobility from his 2 knee surgeries and was going to be this bad?

Heaps will be a HUGE upgrade and along with our talented RB core and an upgrade at WR through the JUCOs, I do foresee us having a much better year.

Rock Chalk!

HUGE upgrade?

Much like Dayne Crist was supposed to be a HUGE upgrade over Jordan Webb.

Maybe next year will be better in terms of moral victories, but I do not foresee much of a change in record.

Reuben_J_Cogburn 1 year, 8 months ago

People forget...it's not just an impressive conference game losing streak, but a road-game streak as well.

2-10 would be the most reasonable prediction. And one of those wins has to be a nail-biter over La Tech.

shelleysue 1 year, 8 months ago

Why do you people insist on predicting future wins and losses? Why?? We aren't even through this season yet. 187 things can happen between now and fall of 2013. Why continue setting yourself up for potential disappointment?? How about we take it one game at a time and focus on being supporting fans of the program and its coaches and players? Let's go to ALL the games and stand and cheer (sorry for those of you who want to sit on your butts. If you do, stay home and watch on TV or buy a cushy seat in the end zone) until the very end. Let's be great fans regardless of win and losses and help build up the program instead of tearing it down. Let's feel good about being competitive. We almost beat Texas and Texas Tech people. That's competitive - isn't that what most of you asked for? Be reasonable and I think you will probably feel better about it all. And don't give me the crap about how the program will never be anything if we don't insist on more than mediocrity. I'm pretty sure everyone involved with the program knows the fans want to see wins and I'm definitely certain they all want to win too.

Couple of thoughts.

1) We were competetive in a couple of games. Yet we lacked the discipline and confidence to finish those games. Those two things have not changed or improved.

2) Again, we got blown out by teams we shouldn't have. Oklahoma and Kansas State should have beat the crap out us. But getting dominated by Iowa State...at home...on Senior Night....completely inaccusable for a team supposedly turning a corner.

3) I agree with you that the fair-weather fanbase is a huge problem for our football program. But the colleges that have great fan turnout for games have programs that have proven they can consistently compete. I have watched, listened to, or attended every game in the past decade. My KU friends ask me, week in and week out, why I still put myself through it. And to be honest, I'm running out of reasonable answers.

Fact of life I'm afraid...you must win games to get fan support. End of story. The large number of "almost got 'ems" isn't going to cut it. A program that is as historically unsuccessful and unpopular as KU is not going to have enough die hard fans, who stick it out for better or worse, to fill the stands. Unfortunately, we need the fair-weather fans. And we need wins to get the fair-weather fans.

And I can't blame them for not wanting to sit through another massacre.

troutsee 1 year, 8 months ago

Cogburn--I agree with you 100%. Every year for the last 30 years I pump myself up, pay the Williams Fund, buy my season football tickets only to leave the stadium angry most of the time over that time span. After the ISU debacle, I was really pissed. However, I do think we have a winning coaching staff at last. If we can remain patient, I think we will ultimately be rewarded by this staff. We are going to need to stand behind them, and I will. It may take as long as 5 years but I truly believe that this staff can turn us around.

flyingfinn 1 year, 8 months ago

I too am worried about the losses on the O-line for next year. I know all of the railing against the O-line this year but beleive me there was some talent there or the rushing game would not be where it is and if we had someone, anyone that could throw a ball the passing game would have been better also.

Jeff Soisson 1 year, 8 months ago

This schedule is B.S., OU and Texas get 3 legitimate bye weeks and we get only one. We don't play the first week or the last so one bye week. Really unfair Big 12. Or should I say, Big 2.

danmoore 1 year, 8 months ago

I think we should have a steady diet of cupcakes with the exception of D2 schools. Look at the ESPN bottom 10 and schedule those teams. We need to have 3 near guarantee wins. It worked for Snyder.

ColoChalk 1 year, 8 months ago

Hey there fair weather fans: Remember as you watch the Irish this fall that Charlie recruited 8 of the 11 offensive starters- so he will be able to recruit a good squad without much trouble. Those of us Colorado Jayhawks already think things look and feel better. Weis was able to get rid of most of the druggies and felons when he started- his cupboards are just a little bare!