Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Juco offensive lineman Ngalu Fusimalohi picks Kansas

It’s been a fruitful week for the Kansas University football program, which picked up three oral commitments from junior-college prospects in the span of two days.

The most recent pledge came from Ngalu Fusimalohi, an offensive guard at City College of San Francisco, and brought the number of known commitments in KU’s current recruiting class to 14.

Two days earlier, KU coach Charlie Weis and company picked up commitments from junior-college linebacker Samson Faifili and juco wide receiver Mark Thomas. Although Weis cannot comment on specific players, he can talk about the process in general terms and he recently said his second round of recruiting to Kansas has gone much smoother than the first.

“We are worlds ahead of where we were last year,” said Weis, who did not begin recruiting to KU last year until a month before national signing day.

Weis’ latest pick-up comes from the same school that produced KU quarterback Turner Baty, who hosted Fusimalohi on his recent visit less than a year after the two led the Rams to a national championship.

“He told me a lot about the program,” Fusimalohi told JayhawkSlant.com’s Jon Kirby. “They have a lot of loyal fans and have good support. I met a lot of the players. Turner likes it there. I want to help turn it around. They have good coaches and they are just missing a few, key pieces to the puzzle. They have what it takes to turn it around.”

KU tight ends coach Jeff Blasko was the lead recruiter for the 6-foot-3, 300-pound guard who chose KU over Hawaii, Nevada, Oregon State, San Diego State and Western Michigan. Weis and offensive line coach Tim Grunhard also played a big role in landing the lineman.

“I spent a lot of time around them during my visit,” Fusimalohi told Kirby. “I see a lot of potential at Kansas and a lot if it is because their coaching staff. Coach Blasko did a good job recruiting me and I think I can learn a lot under coach Grunhard.”

Fusimalohi becomes the second offensive lineman (Louisville senior Joey Bloomfield) in KU’s current class. Of KU’s 14 commitments, seven are from the junior-college ranks, a place Weis has not been shy about looking for talent.

“I totally believe you need both high school and junior college kids,” Weis said. “With junior college kids, they are there for a reason. It wasn’t because they wanted to go to junior college. So you have to do a lot of due diligence. It can’t just be whether a guy can play. You have to make sure when you bring them in you feel confident not only will he buy into the program, you want to make sure he will walk out of here in a couple years with a degree from the University of Kansas.”

Weis said last week that the Jayhawks were in position to sign as many as 27 players in the class, which will become official on national signing day Feb. 6.

Comments

wildjayhawk 1 year, 4 months ago

The heck with the new black uniforms, I don't care if the whole damn team is wearing underware, if they can only win a game of two.

Paul Rupp 1 year, 4 months ago

The Jayhawk was born of the desire to end slavery. I'm certain there was more intent reflected in the eyes of the original Jayhawks than there is in the current Smiley Jayhawk. I think it would be OK if we had something a little less Sesame Street on our helmuts, and maybe something a little more "Intent." Just sayin---

Paul Rupp 1 year, 4 months ago

I am in big favor of not using a Smiley Jayhawk on anything football. Smiley Jayhawk has it's place, but not with our football team going forward.

Ferd Magellan 1 year, 4 months ago

You can never go wrong with Samoans, Tongans or Hawaiians. Especially the ones with rugby backgrounds. We've had some good ones at KU over the years.

hawkdds 1 year, 4 months ago

Our school colors are crimson and blue, the black & white were tasteless and disrespectful to a proud university. Charlie might look thinner in black, but I miss the blue, when I see black I can,t help but think of Mizzou.

jayhawkintx1973 1 year, 4 months ago

Charlie, Braden Smith over at Olathe South, 4 Star. Max Bench Press of 470 lbs. twice as a sophomore in high school. There is no list of schools for him. Maybe at least take a look. I think he's on the O-Line, and just a powerful kid. He looks like he's about 290 but no fat at all, all muscle. He's only about, what is it, 15 to 20 miles from Lawrence?

jayhawkintx1973 1 year, 4 months ago

4 star linebacker Nick Ramirez decommitted from Mizzou and there isn't any other schools on his list. He says he listen to any school that wants to talk to him. Charlie and company, steal this kid. He committed awfully early so there is nobody else on his list. Have Jake Love host him for a visit.

johnjayhwk 1 year, 4 months ago

I have two questions: 1) Are all the juco guys December grads....I really don't want the BS we had last fall. 2) Any sign of a kicker who can kick the ball OUT of the endzone?

Doug Cramer 1 year, 4 months ago

Who gives a dam about the unies.

Weis better start bringing in some young talent on the D-Line...otherwise we're gonna be screwed 3-4 years from now. He's recruiting nothing but JUcO transfers...and our freshman class both last year...and 2013 is looking horrid.

Boouk 1 year, 4 months ago

I don't think he'll start next year but it looks like he'll at least provide some nice depth.

OPJayhawk 1 year, 4 months ago

Kansas should NEVER, EVER wear black uniforms. They were awful. Yes, bring back the black shoes (and tape), but NO to the black unis. Horrible.

rtwngr 1 year, 4 months ago

Any place kickers out there?

B0B 1 year, 4 months ago

I can already hear Bob Davis- and it is hysterical.

iamakufan 1 year, 4 months ago

Yes! Keep them coming! I'm already getting excited for next season and we've not even finished this one yet.

Ron Prichard 1 year, 4 months ago

I think one thing that should be said is that even without playing a down this year Turner Baty must still have a great attitude. As bad as our QB play has been at times and with Baty being available if needed (regardless of the redshirt issue), it would be easy for him to get down on the program or be a little bitter. The fact that Baty hosted Fusimalohi and helped convince him to come is a testament to his character. I also think it goes to show that these kids still have faith in the program and faith in Charlie Weis. It makes me that much more excited for the future of KU football.

Kyle Sybesma 1 year, 4 months ago

Is this the 3-point specialist from Northern Iowa?

JayDocMD 1 year, 4 months ago

Very welcome news - now 2 or three more JUCO O-lineman, a TE and a WR or two and the offense should be OK for next year.

Defensively, we need at least another 2 guys each to compete at DB, LB and DL.

clevelandjayhawker 1 year, 4 months ago

Nice. Keep them coming Charlie and company!