Kansas defeats Washington State, 78-41

• 9 p.m., Nov. 19, 2012
  • Sprint Center, Kansas City, MO

Tuesday, November 20, 2012

200 and counting: KU gets milestone win in rout over Washington State

Kansas center Jeff Withey grabs a pass in the paint over Washington State forward Brock Motum during the first half of the CBE Classic, Monday, Nov. 19, 2012 at the Sprint Center in Kansas City, Missouri.

Podcast episode

Press Conferences & Post-Game Interviews

KU coach Bill Self talks after 78-41 win over Washington State

KU coach Bill Self talks to reporters after his team's 78-41 win over Washington State on Nov. 19, 2012.

Download podcast

Podcast episode

Press Conferences & Post-Game Interviews

Travis Releford and Kevin Young

Kansas seniors Travis Releford and Kevin Young talk to reporters following the Jayhawks' 78-41 victory over Washington State on Nov. 19, 2012.

Download podcast

Box score

KU-WSU

— Balloons and streamers didn’t drop from the rafters after Kansas University’s 78-41 waxing of Washington State on Monday night in Sprint Center.

The Jayhawks, who claimed their 200th victory of all time (against 78 losses) in games played in the City of Fountains, had no reason to don party hats despite the round-number milestone so early in the basketball season.

Still, KU’s performance, if not cause for celebration, at least was worthy of some smiles and high-fives as the (3-1) Jayhawks as a team and Travis Releford specifically, busted an offensive funk that resulted in just 69 (Chattanooga) and 64 points (Michigan State) in their last two games.

“We did a really good job moving the ball the first half (in building 50-21 lead). We got the ball where we wanted it. We shared it. It’s probably the best we’ve executed this year,” KU coach Bill Self said.

Senior forward Releford, who had hit 6-of-23 shots all season (0-for-11 from three) canned his first six shots and first two threes and finished with 17 points overall off 6-of-7 shooting as KU advanced to today’s 8:30 p.m. final against (2-1) Saint Louis.

“It feels great to be able to come home and have a breakout game,” said KC native Releford. “I had a lot of family and friends here. Coming into this game, my teammates and coaches continued to have faith in me shooting the ball. They told me to stop thinking about it and continue being me and do what I do.”

The reason for the team hitting 64 percent of its shots the first half and 45.5 overall?

“We knew it wasn’t going to be a sold-out arena like we have back home. We knew we had to bring energy. We figured we’d go out and pressure full-court to bring energy to the game,” Releford said.

No official attendance figures were provided after the game. Media members estimates were anywhere between 11,000 and 16,000 in the arena that seats 18,972.

“The crowd is disappointing. We’re happy with the people who were here,” Self said. "I know it’s not part of our (ticket) package at all. Hopefully we’ll have a better crowd tomorrow night. For whatever reason, there was a disappointing turnout. Also it’s 9 o’clock on a Monday night. It’s hard to get babysitters on Monday night,” added Self, who was anxious to get back to the hotel, as he was under the weather.

Ben McLemore (11 points, all first half) had two threes and Releford a deep two and two free throws as KU raced to a 21-6 lead. KU extended the early lead to 28-9 following an Elijah Johnson three at 11:17. McLemore, who had 10 of the KU points in the run to Johnson’s six, had a remarkable follow dunk of an Ellis miss to make it 23-9, immediately followed by two McLemore free throws. Sparked by 11 points apiece from McLemore and Releford and eight from Ellis as well as sizzling 64-percent shooting, KU led WSU, 50-21, at halftime and was not threatened the final half.

“Coach said we moved the ball well and played well. It all starts on the defensive end. We came out with energy,” Releford said. “We’re pressing full court and getting after it.”

Self said he limited some players’ minutes (Johnson played a team-high 26 minutes) because he wanted to spread playing time around in a rout and also to rest the team a bit for tonight’s final against Saint Louis.

“They remind me of Davidson in that they are physical. They don’t give up easy baskets,” Self said of the Billikens, who routed Texas A&M, 70-49. “You’ve got to make shots against them. Tonight, A&M didn’t. Their big guys can stretch it. The way they play they could present problems if we are not amped up and ready to go.”

Comments

Alohahawk 1 year, 4 months ago

Regarding recruiting: Zagsblog.com has an in depth interview with Dakari Johnson's mom on his final six, which includes KU. She seems the perfect mom for a son with his abilities and future. The interview tends to focus on Kenstinky and how he would fit there. But she also diagnoses how Dakari would fit into each of the other school's teams. She points out a few things which are disadvantages for KU: Scholarships full, recruits already signed (Embiid, who woud be competing for playing time), the fact that Danny is no longer at KU. But she also mentions some of the positives about KU, as well. Anyway, when it comes down to it, she seems a very intelligent mom who knows what is good for her son's future.

wrwlumpy 1 year, 4 months ago

Having KY start and watching the offense move so well reminded me that these 4 seniors did this last year in the National Championship game. Adding Ben to the mix who practiced with them last year only made the first half our best this year. How about that, Kevin Young starting for the Kansas Jayhawks.

AsadZ 1 year, 4 months ago

I am very concerned about Zach Peters. I have a bad feeling that he won't be around for a long time. I don't have any facts just a gut feeling considering uncertainity and not seeing clear statements from KU regarding his status.

I hope I am wrong.

JayhawkBonedoc 1 year, 4 months ago

It seems to me that things ran more smoothly at both ends of the floor when Kevin Young was in the game. Certainly it could have just been the opponent. He seems more confident and appears to be in the right place at the right time more than any of the other bigs (including Jeff at this point). He also seems to get his hands on a lot of loose balls and creates a lot of loose balls poking at the dribble of guards in help situations. His defensive "hedges", which HCBS coaches, seem to be more aggressive and effective than the other bigs as well. I definately think Jamari and Perry have much more upside but in a tight game right now I feel more confident with Kevin on the floor.

Anyone else feel the same?

Jack Wilson 1 year, 4 months ago

Last night was nearly entirely positive. How effective is Releford when he slashes to the hoop? We need more. That just teases us. This team needs more. And I suspect that those early slashing hoops helped prime the pump for the outside shooting. More offense from Releford makes this team dangerous. He just has to take it when it's presented, and take perhaps when it's not entirely presented.

Self blatantly and publicly challenged Tharpe this weekend. Tharpe really appeared to be giving effort. Self had referred to effort. But if you want to see what starts the discussion on Tharpe's defensive inadequacies, go to 14:50 in the first half .. Tharpe messed up off of a screen and Woolridge blew by him; 13:25 lost Woolridge who dished for a three pointer; 11:50 Woolridge with the cross-over right past Tharpe. Examples.

Just three looks, first half. This is Tharpe's challenge. I continue to be impressed, though, by Tharpe's ball handling. He's doing the job there. He's not a creator, but he does find assists. He isn't throwing the ball away. His shooting certainly has potential and could end up being very good.

I really think that Self's blunt challenge to him this past weekend was done to basically wake the kid up. I think he responded with effort, which is what Self really focused on.

But the question is .. can he stop, physically, what occurs on his breakdowns?

In my opinion, this is the only area that Adams has an advantage on Tharpe. Part of that may come from not having a big enough sample of Adams. But I think this team will be "more better" --- if that's a proper term --- if Tharpe can get better defensively and hold his spot, than if Adams replaces him in the rotation.

Tony Bandle 1 year, 4 months ago

The unfortunate rumor here in St.Louis is that coach Majerus is in dire need of a heart transplant and there are complications involved in the process.

I had the great pleasure of spending a few moments with him...great guy, really just one of us..except for the addition of his brilliant basketball mind, of course.

Loved to talk about sports, food, movies, pretty girls. The sports media in St.Louis loves him because he gave zero BS...he always told people exactly how he felt. Please keep him in your prayers.

Still, we need to pound the Billikens tonight!!

jaybate 1 year, 4 months ago

Part 2

Talk to Rick Majerus, the human dairy king from Sheboygan Falls, Wisconsin, Mr. Cheese Head with a round ball, and you get pure, uncut, New Yawk City ball pumped through the unlike, sadly clogged, veins of one of the great, great coaches of our time.

Rest easy, Big Rick.

You will never be forgotten among those that know the game, and from where it sprang.

Naismith founded a game and the seeds of it blew far and wide across America. The seeds blew into proper New England towns, and into prairie towns, and into tough dirty cities, and into share croppers shanties, and out on farms and into little company towns at the feet of the Big Rock Candy Mountains and into the little desert pueblos, and into fishing villages of the Pacific Coast, and all down the jazz and blues towns of the Big Easy and the Big Muddy and up the Ohio Valley. The seeds blew all over this continent. They blew up into Canada. They blew down into Tobacco Road and into the ship building towns and fishing villages all along the Atlantic and gulf coasts. The seeds blew every where. And the game grew up wild and fresh and beautiful no matter how hard the scrabble was, and no matter how brutal the factories were, and no matter how mean the streets were, and how segregated the country was. The seeds spread and they grew. And one of the most important seeds of all blew into the boroughs of New Yawk. And it produced a kind of ball that has endured to this day.

And Rick Majerus shephereded it as wisely and as honorably and as skillfully as any one could have shepherded the game that that seed produced.

That he did it mostly in mayonaisse places doesn't lessen the purity of the game he coached.

That Utah team of his with Andre Miller had to have made Frank and Al tip the Bushmills and crack wise about their fat kid from Sheboygan that got it better than most of the city kids.

Maj, you were one of a very few guys, I would have been happy to see take over the KU program as head coach; that's how special I think you are and were.

You never gave KU much love as a commentator and I rightly outed you for it.

But there is a difference between schilling for eye balls without talent (e.g., Dick Vitale) and schilling for eyeballs with talent (you).

And when the schilling ends, which even the kings like you and Knight have to do sometimes for bones, whether that schilling goes for or against my team, I still want to recognize great talent.

Don't give up the fight, Big Rick, until you know its right. But when you know, rest assured, that those who knew and loved the game recognized you for the special coach that you were and remain.

Rock Chalk!!

jaybate 1 year, 4 months ago

"For Rick Majerus: a King Among Coaches, Not Just an Emperor of Ice Cream"

(Preface: Author here, as DF Wallace once wrote. I don't very often write something I want to make sure board rats see. But this post I wrote today about Rick Majerus, I want to call persons' attentions to. I don't know why. I just do. Majerus is not a guy I gave much love to all these years, because he never gave much love to KU. But Majerus is important to the game. He matters. So: I am reposting it, because I posted it on a few day old thread not many will probably go back to. Indulge me on this repost, if you will.)

Part 1

Majerus got it. He is/was the real deal. One of the great coaches of his generation cut short by too much DQ, and too many cheese burgers.

If Rick's plight isn't enough to make persons turn on junk food the way they finally turned on cancer sticks, I don't know what could do it.

There needs to be a Rick Majerus Foundation to fight eating disorders related to the sweet tooth and fast food. Society and the game cannot afford to lose another great coach to this problem so young. This is not an obit to Rick. I hope he can find a way to fight through this and live long and resume being a talking head. This is an obit for Rick the Coach. Rick the guy the game needed. Rick the guy that found a way to keep the game pure. Not nice. Not soft. Not easy. But pure.

Maj was a vital link in an important coaching legacy. Frank McGuire to Alfred James "Al" McGuire to Hank Raymonds to Rick Majerus.

Al McGuire was pure, undistilled Frank McGuire and Frank was pure, undistilled New Yawk City ball. The other strain of McGuire Ball got hybridized by Dean Smith and Larry Brown.

But don't kid yourselves. When LB came to Lawrence, he was bringing in his genes and his game as much Frank McGuire, as Dean's hybrid variety.

You can take the kid out of New Yawk, but you can't take the New Yawk outta da kid.

KU has been touched deeply by New Yawk City ball, by McGuire ball. It lost an NC to UNC in '57 to it. It got reborn with a serious infusion of it when LB came. It got a very weak drip of it throughout the Roy Ball years.

And when this young, impressionable Okie schooled in Okie Ball by a father, then by Paul Hansen, and then by Iba himself, for brief moments, this young thick browed, broad shouldered, bum kneed 2 guard got a look at the inside of McGuire Ball via LB, it changed the Okie Baller forever. Oddly enough, out in Lawrence, Kansas on the Kaw, Bill Self is the reigning master and caretaker now of these two traditions: Okie Ball and McGuire Ball.

But there is no mistaking who is the purest shaman of them all regarding McGuire Ball. None at all.

Not even LB himself is as pure as Rick "the human ice cream cone" Majerus.

The lineage is direct.

Frank to Al to Hank to Rick.

No dilution.

All it

chriz 1 year, 4 months ago

I thought the tickets were priced ridiculously high, at least on Goody. It was $30 a pop for nose-bleeds in the crotch of the arena.

mikehawk 1 year, 4 months ago

This reminds me of a two game tournament during THE tournament, and a place to begin preparing for the mentality of playing weaker, but dangerous teams in early rounds in March. Beware tonight after coming off of the blitz of last night. From what I can tell, St. Louis is talented and well-coached. Can we maintain the focus we saw last night? I think not. I predict a real struggle. It really isn't our DNA to win as pretty as we did last night. Watch for ugly tonight. Naadir wins last night's round of keeping Rio at bay. Again, Withey plays better when matched against taller players, particularly those he is not overwhelmed by their strength (see Michigan State), which he has in short supply. Lots of Mizzou folks are St. Louis fans tonight. Hope HCBS reminds them of the fact a loss tonight is a proxy loss to our "former" hated rivals. I think Kevin Young is the missing piece and look for him to start for the foreseeable future. This takes some pressure off of Perry and Jamari, and they both can really bring something off of the bench. They will get plenty of minutes because both Jeff and Kevin are very capable of picking up quick fouls. I thought Perry looked much more comfortable out there last night. He looked and acted like he belonged. I think that is critical to this young man's development as I really think he appears to be a thoughtful, sensitive kid with enormous talent. The talent depth of this year's young group mixed with next year's is scary. Wow!

BCRavenJHawkfan 1 year, 4 months ago

Hmm, and to think that I was impressed with the defensive effort to limit Washington State to 41 points. Boy was I off base.

And I'm with HawkKlaw, BMAC is phenomenal. Look out when he really gets focused.

HawkKlaw 1 year, 4 months ago

That's the way this team should be playing every night. Granted, it was against WASU. But even so, that was a classic Jayhawk victory.

I really like what I'm seeing out of Naadir on offense this season. He does exactly what he's out there to do. But he still needs to step up a lot on defense.

Rio was kind of disappointing, but he only played 8 minutes. I'll chalk that up to inexperience and coming off the bench cold. AW3 showed some real promise though (5 pts, 2 boards, 1 assist in 9 minutes).

Lastly, BMAC. Oh man. I'm with Self: This could be the most talented freshman Bill Self has ever had at KU. He's simply phenomenal. His offense was the catalyst that sparked the early, insurmountable lead last night. He's better than advertised, especially on offense. It's BMac's world; we're just living in it.

Kevin Huffman 1 year, 4 months ago

The only thing I saw last night that concerned me was the number of times that Perry STILL tries fade-aways or shies from the contact when going to the bucket. However, also good news on his front as he was knocking down the FT's at a good clip.

Improvement OVERALL on shooting the FT's last night. I know at one pt. they were 15-17.

KEITHMILES05 1 year, 4 months ago

Self said Peters was ill and there will be a resolution soon to the situation. There IS alot more to what is not being reported. Oh well.

VaJay 1 year, 4 months ago

They are improving rapidly can't wait to see how good they will be in a couple months.

One thing I would REALLY LIKE to see - on defense, when we are picking them up at full court and they throw it to someone in the corner, JUST ONCE please double team them & create a little havoc. I'm sure it would create opportunities doing this + if they break the press down, we have Withey to swat away anything until we get back on D.

Kent Richardson 1 year, 4 months ago

I will blame the 9PM start also. 35% of the working populace, (those who can afford to pay) leave home for their jobs by 7 AM. Taking the middle figure on attendance estimates, 13,000 and add 30% and you get an almost full house.

Martin Rosenblum 1 year, 4 months ago

We should play St. Louis tonight as if they're that other school from Missouri. If we don't have the Tigers to bust up, the Billikens will do.

This will be one of three tournaments we can win this year.

Beak ' Em!

JHawk74 1 year, 4 months ago

We don't need Zach Peters this year. We have 5 solid big men already. Peters and Lucas need to red-shirt and be ready to go next year. Traylor and McLemore look ready to go this year after sitting out last year. If Peters was healthy I'm not sure he gets more than 2-3 minutes of playing time each game anyway.

ParisHawk 1 year, 4 months ago

This game reminded us: Self is perfectly willing to play more than 7-8 deep in non-conference games, but the first 7-8 have to do their jobs first.

The people most to blame for the bench warmers not getting development minutes are: the rotation players. If the starters and top rotation guys need that time to get themselves straightened out, there's less time on the floor for next year's guys.

Worst news to me: still no good news on Zach Peters. Everything else could be short term, losing Peters for the season changes the season.

jaybate 1 year, 4 months ago

Best News:

1. Travis getting untracked at last.

2. Committee 4 JaPerVin (Jamari/Perry/Kevin) got 21 points and 17 rebounds, easily good for National Committee Player of the Week.

3. Kevin Young got 10 boards in 18 minutes.

4. Rio and White finally got 8-9 minutes of PT.

5. Disruption stat looking more like a Self team's stat (15:9).

Worst News:

1. Team unimpressive on offensive glass.

2. EJ's offensive efficiency tanked.

3. Anrio showed zip.

Ferd Magellan 1 year, 4 months ago

So I wasn't the only one surprised by the empty arena. Hopefully people show up tomorrow night against a tough SLU team.

REHawk 1 year, 4 months ago

Coaching staff appears to be getting a handle on the 4+5 positions. Starter at the 4 might be up in air for a spell, but the Withey/Young, Ellis/Traylor combos worked well tonight. Those 10 rebounds of Kevin's were huge. Ellis looks to be a player who earns lots of freethrows. That McLemore dunk over Traylor was spectacular! Ben is ever so quick and bouncy.