Originally published November 17, 2012 at 12:36a.m., updated November 17, 2012 at 01:58p.m.

KU athletic director interested to see what new Big 12 university is doing

photo

Lawrence Journal-World

Kansas University students and fans unveil a large KU banner and cheer on the Jayhawks before the start of the football game against TCU on Sept. 15 at Memorial Stadium. KU has no plans to begin selling alcohol at its games, unlike new Big 12 addition West Virginia University.

When today’s Big 12 football game between Iowa State and Kansas University reaches halftime, some in attendance will leave their seats and head back to the site of their pregame tailgate for a taste of what they had consumed a couple of hours earlier.

Some will even try to hide an alcoholic beverage in a flask upon re-entry, when security isn’t as tight because some of the personnel are dealing with issues that might arise during the first half. Such sneaky fans would be in keeping with a time-honored college football tradition.

And the university won’t make a dime on the sale of beer because in keeping with state laws governing public universities in Kansas, KU does not sell it at football games.

West Virginia University, which joined Texas Christian University as the newest members of the Big 12 at the beginning of this school year, didn’t used to sell beer at games either, but has for the past two football seasons.

West Virginia Athletic Director Oliver Luck said that at the suggestion of the university police chief and the Morgantown police chief, he looked into changing what was known as the “pass-out” policy. (It was so named not because of what excessive drinking can make someone do; rather because spectators leaving the stadium were given a pass that gave them the right to re-enter.)

The more Luck looked into making a change, the better it looked to him to replace the pass-out policy with one that lifted the ban on selling beer and forbid re-entry to those leaving the stadium.

“During a conversation with the police chiefs, I said that I get it that hard-liquor consumption is not good with our fan base and asked, ‘What would your response be if I recommend that we sell beer in the stadium, and if you leave the stadium you can’t come back?’ They said they thought it was a reasonable approach, to stop the pass-out policy and offer beer sales,” Luck said in a recent telephone interview.

Incidents requiring police attention are down and revenue is way up, Luck said. He said the combination of revenue generated from beer sales and sponsorships from beer distributors that have come on board, brought in an estimated $750,000 in 2011 and could top $1 million this year.

Kansas visits West Virginia for its season finale Saturday, Dec. 1. KU Athletic Director Sheahon Zenger plans to be on the trip, but said he hasn’t yet discussed West Virginia’s new policy with Luck.

“Obviously, when we go there for the game, I’ll be interested in seeing what they’re doing,” Zenger said, “but based on our state laws and legislation, I don’t see it being something that would take hold here in Kansas.”

In the event Zenger is impressed enough to start looking into clearing the hurdles that stand in the way of selling beers, how would he go about lobbying for new legislation?

“I haven’t even given it enough thought to know what the next step would be,” Zenger said. “So really, at this point, I think ADs in our league are probably just interested in watching what the experience is, but I wouldn’t want to go any further than saying it’s just a curiosity at this point.”

Luck said response from West Virginia football fans has been overwhelmingly positive since the policy change.

“There have been a few emails like the one from someone who said, ‘My 60-year-old grandfather has been going out at halftime to get a sandwich at his tailgate for 40 years.’ I’ve heard maybe one or two other complaints about changing the pass-out policy,” Luck said. “People like the fact that they can buy a beer. A healthy percentage of people sitting in the stands at Mountaineer games are fans of the Steelers, Redskins, Ravens, Reds, Pirates or Orioles and can drink beer at those games.”

The 16-ounce beers sell for $7, $8 and $9, Luck said.

“Also, all our metrics on how many arrests are made show they are down from two years ago,” Luck said.

He said that from 2010, when beer was not sold and the pass-out policy was in place, to 2011, the first year of in-stadium beer sales, there were “25 to 30 percent fewer incidents that rose to the level of getting police involved.”

Since making the policy change, Akron University has done the same. Luck said he has had conversations with “probably half a dozen university representatives who have asked about what was the thought process, how has it worked out and what resistance did we encounter. Some schools are at least looking at it.”

Luck confirmed that thus far, Kansas has not been among the schools inquiring.

Comments

Hurinfan 2 years, 1 month ago

I hate being at sporting evens even near someone who is/ has been drinking. It smells, you can tell, gets spilled, they're often rowdy. It makes it an incredibly unfun experience.

KU_Cobra 2 years, 1 month ago

Yeah! Have you heard that they allow DANCING in Lawrence too! The Devil has sure made his presence noted!

boomrsoonr26 2 years, 1 month ago

Wichita State baseball allows you to buy beer at the games, how do they advert the law? The stadium is clearly a part of the campus.

Brad Farha 2 years, 1 month ago

I think the point they are making above is that banning drinking in the stadium leads to binge drinking before the game and during halftime. It seems counter-intuitive, but selling drinks in the stadium leads to more responsible behavior all around.

bayareajhawk 2 years, 1 month ago

I hate sitting next to people like you at sporting events.

You are probably the person who asks me to sit down and be quiet when I'm cheering for the team in a defensive 3rd down situation.

JayHawkFanToo 2 years, 1 month ago

At $7-$9 a pop, there is not going to be much drinking, not on a student budget any way.

Tyler Fox 2 years, 1 month ago

I think you might be surprised at that. It may limit their drinking a little, but there will still be plenty of sales.

W Keith Swinehart II 2 years, 1 month ago

I've been drinking beer at sports events for over 40 years. Have not seen trouble. Haven't over- indulged or seen drunks. I like beer, don't drink soft drinks. I like the idea. Got my vote!

PSM 2 years, 1 month ago

you've never seen rowdy, annoying, sloppy drunks at a sporting event? i don't believe you.

Cora Smith 2 years, 1 month ago

I remember in the 70s the Nebraska fans would show drunk and it went down hill from there. Maybe KU should just get a bunch of party buses that just circle the stadium for the entire game to cater to the over indulgent.

gdkadjayhawk 2 years, 1 month ago

Those aren't the same Nebraska fans I remember from the 70s. All I saw were courteous, well-behaved fans wearing a ton of red. Different part of the stadium I guess.

Saguaro_Jayhawk 2 years, 1 month ago

I expect he meant moo moo missou fans. They have always been the worst at handling their booze.

ahpersecoachingexperience 2 years, 1 month ago

I wouldn't sit through an entire KU football game for all the beer in the world!

bigboypants 2 years, 1 month ago

If the extra million bucks a year would help improve the stadium and recruit better players I'm all for it.

notigers4me 2 years, 1 month ago

People who want to drink will figure out how to get it done, no matter what. I think the pass out policy is not a good one, too much can and does happen outside of the walls of the stadium. The main issue that comes to mind about selling beer inside the stadium is, it might mean that the civic groups working the concession areas now will have to be replaced by workers trained to sell alcoholic beverages.

Ryan Gerstner 2 years, 1 month ago

I would love to see beer sales at KU. I don't think our stadium is currently designed to handle it so probably not a great idea in the current configuration, but if they could redo the seating with seat backs and seat holders, I think it makes a ton of sense. The biggest issue right now with doing it is the seating is way too cramped and too many beers would get spilled causing problems and conflicts. But if KU can get a major stadium redo done, they should look at it doing it in certain sections of seats.

Kansas1241 2 years, 1 month ago

Here's an idea...just do what 95% of the students (who actually show up for the game) do and fill a flask up with alcohol. Much cheaper, and you don't even get patted down or even looked at when you walk through the gates. To watch this pathetic football team everybody needs to be a little, if not very drunk. Glad I can say I've enjoyed the past 4 seasons with that same flask and lots of alcohol!