Originally published November 16, 2012 at 12:03a.m., updated November 16, 2012 at 01:15a.m.

Notebook: Shooting performance reminds Bill Self of Oral Roberts

Kansas head coach Bill Self gets a quick talk with his players during the second half on Thursday, Nov. 15, 2012 at Allen Fieldhouse.

Podcast episode

Press Conferences & Post-Game Interviews

KU coach Bill Self

Kansas coach Bill Self talks to reporters following the Jayhawks' 69-55 victory over Chattanooga on Nov. 15, 2012.

Download podcast

Podcast episode

Press Conferences & Post-Game Interviews

Elijah Johnson, Ben McLemore and Jeff Withey

Elijah Johnson, Ben McLemore and Jeff Withey talk to reporters following the Jayhawks' 69-55 victory over Chattanooga on Nov. 15, 2012.

Download podcast

Box score

KU-Chattanooga

Chattanooga’s Farad Cobb, who sank six three-pointers in seven tries the first half, tried to single-handedly beat Kansas University’s basketball team on Thursday night in Allen Fieldhouse.

“That performance reminded me of the dude from ORU. He goes 6-for-7 from three and made two threes his entire career,” Self said, recalling Nov. 15, 2006, when Marchello Vealy hit seven of eight from beyond the arc in Oral Roberts’ 78-71 victory over KU. It’s just one of three losses to nonconference teams in Allen Fieldhouse in the Bill Self era.

“Cobb is a backup point guard. A backup got 21 on us. He threw in some stuff,” Self added of the 6-foot Cobb. “He threw in three or four under five (seconds) on the shot clock that were hard shots.”

Cobb went just one of two from three the final half, finishing with 21 points, thanks to Travis Releford’s sticky defense.

His six three-pointers, by the way, were most in a half by a KU opponent since Syracuse’s Gerry McNamara hit six in the first half of the 2003 national championship game.

Jeff Withey on the win: “The first half for all of us wasn’t too good. We came out very flat. In the second half coach (Self) really challenged the seniors to step it up and bring more energy. I just started being more involved and my teammates found me. It was just finding the open spot and being at the right place at the right time. It started all on the defensive end and that made it a lot easier on the offensive end.”

Withey, who had five second-half blocks and six total, scored 11 points with 10 rebounds. He had just two points and three boards the initial half.

“Just energy,” Withey said of the difference. “Cobb went off (in the first half). Being prideful in our defense, we came out in the second half knowing we had to stop him and build from that. Travis (Releford) came out with a lot of energy and stopped him. After that, everyone started to have more confidence on the defensive end. We didn't want to be the person who let our guy score, so we just had to challenge ourselves.”

Stats, facts: KU trailed at the half in a non-conference game for the first time since it trailed Cornell, 31-28, on Jan. 6, 2011. ... The eight-point halftime deficit was the largest KU has faced against a non-conference opponent at home since it trailed Nevada, 35-27, at halftime on Dec. 1, 2005. ... The Mocs connected on eight three-point baskets in the first half, which is the most in a half by a KU opponent since Oklahoma State hit nine three-pointers in the second half last season. ... KU held Chattanooga without a field goal from the 18:05 mark of the second half to 5:30, spanning more than 12 minutes. ... During the second half, Chattanooga scored 19 points on 6-for-25 shooting from the field and committed 12 turnovers. ... McLemore’s 25 points were the most by a KU freshman since Xavier Henry scored 31 against LaSalle on Dec. 12, 2009. ... Withey’s six blocks were a season high and the most since he swatted seven against Ohio State in the national semifinals last year (March 31). ... Naadir Tharpe matched a career-high with five assists. He had five against Howard on Dec. 29 of last season.

Comments

akgjenkintown 2 years, 1 month ago

Same old quotes from Withey. Try playing a full game. As a senior and preseason All American, you shouldn't needs others to motivate you. Lead the team and quite following, otherwise this will be a disappointing season and you can kiss the hope of the NBA lottery goodbye.

Phil Leister 2 years, 1 month ago

Man you're so tough. Maybe you should be his own personal coach.

Ron Prichard 2 years, 1 month ago

I agree with him, though. Isn't this exactly what we saw and heard from Withey last week? The "funk" is over, get the "funk" out, no more"funk"? It may seem like we're being tough, but why does it take a crappy first half for Withey to have a good second half? I think we're going to be a good team, but Withey (and the rest of the team) needs to bring it from the opening tip to the final buzzer.

KEITHMILES05 2 years, 1 month ago

It's damn pathetic a 5th. year senior needing prodding to get with it! I mean, good gravy............maturity should matter but he acts like a child who needs guided. HE should be the one setting an example instead of Self having to berate and plead with him to play like a man.

flyingfinn 2 years, 1 month ago

Look folks I agree, but we have seen nothing for periods of time out of other team leaders Releford and Johnson. Our team had a lot of problems the first part of last season. The sky is not falling.

PSM 2 years, 1 month ago

I don't remember Xavier ever scoring that much or playing as well as Mclemore played last night. Then again, I try to forget Xavier ever played for KU

Robin Smith 2 years, 1 month ago

Killer instinct is the rarest intangible. Withey has shown moments but to have it like TRob has it will likely never happen.

Meanwhile, BMac, owns.

oldalum 2 years, 1 month ago

I agree, Robin. Someone should do a study on the relationship between the way a kid has grown up and his forcefulness. When a kid has to fight his way just to survive, it might create a different attitude from that of someone who has had a nice family, nice childhood. Easy life, easy attitude. Rough life, junk yard dog attitude. I'm sure that's too easy, but there might be some kind of correlation there.

RJ King 2 years, 1 month ago

Weren't Colison and Hinrich from "nice families, easy childhoods," with Dad's who coached them? I don't remember them showing a complete lack of energy or defense for an entire first half. Several times Roy would throw in a whole new lineup and leave the starters at the end of the bench. but I can't imagine either of them saying, "I just started being more involved . . . "

Robin Smith 2 years, 1 month ago

I tend to think it's more of a biological kind of thing, like you either have the chemical makeup or not, but I'm sure the nurture element is there too, like having a bunch of siblings with whom you have to compete.

Relating to rough life versus easy life background, if you have that kind of makeup you're able to get out of your rough life or else it would swallow and conquer you.

It's an interesting issue to ponder, because I know for one that I've had an incredibly nice and privileged life while at the same time on the court I'm an animal who battles hard and tries to destroy my opponent. I have this competitive beast that I can feel stirring when someone gets my ire up. It's never really fit in with the nurture aspect of my life and most people know me as a super laid-back and nice guy.

Tony Bandle 2 years, 1 month ago

I think Jeff has a long, slow fuse that over the season burns brighter and faster as criticism of him builds up and finally goes off at just the right time...tournament time!!!

I have no fear to predict that JEFF-REX will return before the end of this season!!

Dale Stringer 2 years, 1 month ago

And I thought it was Traylor that kept us in the game in the first half, not B-Mac. Yes, B-Mac was scoring points, but there was no intensity when he did. Traylor was the hustle-guy and get-the-ball guy in the first half.

Jesse Johnson 2 years, 1 month ago

Talk about bad memories brought up in this article: ORU and even worse... McNamara and his inability to miss a freaking 3 pointer in the 2003 championship game (on a side note, does anyone else remember when the refs called a charge on Aaron Miles after a made layup on a fast break play that was clearly a blocking foul, and immediately afterwards McNamara hit another 3 pointer, which totaled a 6 point swing based on a bad call in a game that was decided by 3 points?)

cadea 2 years, 1 month ago

Worse - from that game Garry "The ASSASSIN" McNamara unconscious shooting was Jim Nantz hideous quote: "Its getting to feel a bit 'Melo' here." It was at that moment I realized the whole thing must be rigged. Horrible officiating, but a coach needed his turn. LAME. Then, weeks later we get turncoat coach. It was a glorious spring I tell you. GLORIOUS.

BainDread 2 years, 1 month ago

The main thing I remember about the 2003 NC loss is KU missing 18 free throws.

wrwlumpy 2 years, 1 month ago

Everyone but Young looked bad in the first half. Nice to see that coach lit a fire.

stahlin 2 years, 1 month ago

For the sake of discussion, how much of the way they played that first half, have to do with Manning no longer here? Withey's first half footwork was so bad it looked jr high.