Friday, November 16, 2012

KUsports.com staff’s Week 12 college football picks

KUsports.com staff picks.

KUsports.com staff picks.

The following are the Journal-World staffers' picks for Week 12 of the college football season.

Week 12 games

Iowa State at Kansas

Kansas State at Baylor

Texas Tech at Oklahoma State

Syracuse at Missouri

Ohio State at Wisconsin

USC at UCLA

Off-the-wall question: What is your favorite Thanksgiving tradition?

Sports copy editor Chris Cottrell (43-17 overall, 4-2 in Week 11)

Kansas 28, Iowa State 17

Kansas State 38, Baylor 14

Oklahoma State 30, Texas Tech 21

Missouri 31, Syracuse 24

Ohio State 21, Wisconsin 20

USC 41, UCLA 38

Question: Working at the Journal-World.

Associate sports editor Drew Hartsock (43-17 overall, 5-1 in Week 11)

Kansas 21, Iowa State 20

Kansas State 42, Baylor 12

Oklahoma State 52, Texas Tech 48

Missouri 50, Syracuse 21

Ohio State 17, Wisconsin 14

USC 77, UCLA 70, 5 OT

Question: Trying to stay awake at my desk after scarfing bird and hustling off, away from family and friends, to go work my umpteenth-straight Thanksgiving night.

KU men's basketball beat writer Gary Bedore (41-19 overall, 4-2 in Week 11)

Iowa State 27, Kansas 26

Kansas State 41, Baylor 28

Oklahoma State 31, Texas Tech 30

Missouri 19, Syracuse 14

Wisconsin 40, Ohio State 30

USC 35, UCLA 22

Question: Flying to New York and going shopping at Macy's bright and early on Friday morning ... or waking up and realizing it was a dream.

KU football beat writer Matt Tait (41-19 overall, 5-1 in Week 11)

Kansas 24, Iowa State 20

Kansas State 34, Baylor 30

Oklahoma State 38, Texas Tech 28

Missouri 27, Syracuse 20

Ohio State 27, Wisconsin 23

USC 33, UCLA 20

Question: It's not original at all, but I love watching NFL games, eating stuffing & sweet potato casserole.

KUsports.com online editor Jesse Newell (39-21 overall, 3-3 in Week 11)

Kansas 24, Iowa State 21

Kansas State 49, Baylor 14

Oklahoma State 55, Texas Tech 49

Syracuse 23, Missouri 20

Wisconsin 20, Ohio State 17

USC 34, UCLA 28

Question: Celebrating "Thanksmas" with my family in Wichita, which includes great food, Sequence and trying to be the closest guess so you can win the money that Grandma Newell put in the money jar.

High school beat reporter Benton Smith (39-21 overall, 4-2 in Week 11)

Iowa State 27, Kansas 24

Kansas State 41, Baylor 24

Oklahoma State 38, Texas Tech 31

Missouri 27, Syracuse 23

Ohio State 30, Wisconsin 26

UCLA 33, USC 31

Question: Eat turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes and gravy, rolls, pumpkin pie, etc. Rest. Repeat.

Sports copy editor Nick Gerik (37-23 overall, 4-2 in Week 11)

Kansas 24, Iowa State 21

Kansas State 45, Baylor 32

Oklahoma State 36, Texas Tech 35

Syracuse 23, Missouri 20

Ohio State 27, Wisconsin 21

USC 33, UCLA 30

Question: Can't go wrong with a long, leisurely walk after Thanksgiving lunch. Also, naps. Always naps.

Sports editor Tom Keegan (36-24 overall, 4-2 in Week 11)

Kansas 28, Iowa State 17

Kansas State 42, Baylor 18

Oklahoma State 34, Texas Tech 28

Missouri 28, Syracuse 24

Ohio State 28, Wisconsin 27

USC 35, UCLA 13

Question: Playing touch football, wearing No. 5 Notre Dame jersey, pretending to be Terry Hanratty

Comments

stinkybulldog 1 year, 11 months ago

Chris Cottrell - Your favorite Thanksgiving tradition is working at the LJW? I'm sorry.

PSM 1 year, 11 months ago

i do believe he was being sarcastic

texashawk10 1 year, 11 months ago

Watching the Texans beat the hell out of the Lions. Okay so maybe that's just for this year and I will enjoy that game thoroughly. I also enjoy gluttony!

Micky Baker 1 year, 11 months ago

My favorite Thanksgiving Day tradition is simply family and sweet potatoes.

Kent Wells 1 year, 11 months ago

It is a little surprising to hear your family still wants you around them.

clevelandjayhawker 1 year, 11 months ago

kstate at baylor could be interesting, two differnet styles of play, but I really think it will be texas next week that knocks them off

Lot of love for the Jayhawks this saturday, we will see what happens.

Got to love that nap that happens every year around 2-3pm, belly is full and the only thing on is a detroit game where they are down by like 20 mid way through the 3rd quarter.

Boouk 1 year, 11 months ago

Does Gary think KU will make 4 FG's? Maybe next year, but no way this year. They could miss 2 PAT's, but I don't think Prolago's missed any so far.

Steve Reigle 1 year, 11 months ago

Wow! Six of eight picked Kansas to win. How long has it been since that last happened?!

Ludwig Supraphonic 1 year, 11 months ago

I want to complain about the photoshopping of grandpa's head onto my chiseled body in the Cenegenics ad.

jaydee909 1 year, 11 months ago

Wow! Although Bedore didn't pick us to win, he didn't pick us to get blowed out as he does every week. Must be paying attention to our improvement.

KGphoto 1 year, 11 months ago

Nobody goes to see the Plaza Lighting. That was always one of my favorites.

Micky Baker 1 year, 11 months ago

400,000 people go see the Plaza lighting, which is why everyone else don't.

texashawk10 1 year, 11 months ago

Many people on here do not live in KC or a nearby place to go see the Plaza lighting.

jhawkrulz 1 year, 11 months ago

No Baylor upsets...I'm hoping for it...also KU to win...this ends the conference drought. Sets up next week to be interesting.

akgjenkintown 1 year, 11 months ago

I have no problem as a life long Jayhawk hoping KSU wins out to prop up the BigXII and Kansas in general. Nothing better than seeing some team other than Texas and Oklahoma thrive and I certainly don't want to see Notre Dame or an SEC team play for the national championship.It only brings hope that if one can win in Manhattan Kansas then there is hope for KU. Beat ISU!

Jack Jones 1 year, 11 months ago

Extremely well said- for all the reasons listed.

amatxjayhawk 1 year, 11 months ago

Kansas 35, Iowa State 17

Kansas State 42, Baylor 21

Oklahoma State 42, Texas Tech 38

Syracuse 36, Missouri (Never heard of them, gone from my memory.)

Ohio State at Wisconsin Why not include a good high school game?

USC at UCLA (Don't care enough to check the results.)

Watching Miracle on 34th Street (The old version)

shelleysue 1 year, 11 months ago

I'm totally expecting a KU win today. Can't wait! Its goinga to bethe a great day.

But I'm going to be honest. I hope Kstate goes all the way. It would be great for the state of Kansas. Then if KU wins the NCAA, it will be a great 2013!!