Thursday, November 15, 2012

Kansas men eager to play again

Kansas players Elijah Johnson, left, Jamari Traylor and Perry Ellis make their way off the court after losing to Michigan State on Tuesday, Nov. 13, 2012 at the Georgia Dome in Atlanta.

Kansas University’s basketball team has been too busy to dwell on Tuesday night’s 67-64 loss to Michigan State at the Champions Classic in Atlanta.

The Jayhawks (1-1), who arrived back in Lawrence at 1 a.m. Wednesday, held a cram session Wednesday afternoon for Chattanooga (1-0) — today’s opponent in a 7 p.m. CBE Classic game in Allen Fieldhouse.

“I’m just happy we can get back on the court, to be honest with you,” KU coach Bill Self said on Wednesday’s weekly “Hawk Talk” radio show. “There’s nothing awful with losing a game as long as we learn from it. A lot is execution. A lot is the mind-set you have to play with on a daily basis and have it become a habit of who we are. That’s something we have to improve on.”

Self said the Jayhawks, who were unable effectively to finish a game in which they led by five with five minutes left, need to “learn to win games by being junkyard dogs, by being tough, by making sure the other team never gets rhythm, by making sure the other team plays poorly, making sure we steal five to six extra possessions off the glass or (from) defense, things like that so there are 10 more points or scoring opportunities the other team didn’t get. Then you end up stealing games.”

Self said he’s “concerned ... do we have the ‘it factor’ when it comes to toughness-type plays, not because we’re not tough, just because it’s not our personality. We don’t have guys that wake up thinking, ‘I’m going to take something,’ but guys that wake up saying, ‘I want to be part of something.’ We need a couple of take-charge type guys.”

Self said it takes time for freshmen to learn what it takes to win big games.

“I thought our young guys were affected,” Self said. “I thought Ben (McLemore, 14 points, three rebounds, three assists, three turnovers, 35 minutes) did some good things. I didn’t think he really put himself in the game like he will a month from now. Perry (Ellis, four points, three rebounds, 17 minutes) was never in the game, but he will be a month from now.

“(As a newcomer) you think you’ve got it. Now when the lights come on, you’ve got (Dick) Vitale, and (Bob) Knight and (Jay) Bilas, all the celebrities walking around. You’ve got Michigan State guys that not only look at you, they make you think they are going to whip you by looking at you, which is the way we used to be,” Self said. “They (Spartans) let you know they were there from the beginning. Our guys ... we don’t have that personality yet.

“We do not have a tough-guy presence you’ve got to have that is contagious,” Self added, noting Thomas Robinson, the Morris twins and Cole Aldrich had the tough-guy mentality.

“Jamari (Traylor, six points, four boards, 25 minutes) is the only one with that personality. My biggest concern ... we don’t screen. We don’t pass. We’ve not shot well yet. We are not a great execution team. There’s a lot of things we don’t do, but the biggest thing is we don’t have a presence from a toughness standpoint.”

Self said for 35 minutes, the Jayhawks played better against Michigan State than they did in the Classic a year earlier in a 75-65 loss to Kentucky.

“But when it really got tight, and you’ve got to be a man to make some plays, and you’ve got to figure it out and do it ... we didn’t get it done because those guys have never been in that situation before,” Self said.

Chattanooga of the Southland Conference opened with an 88-53 win against Tennessee Temple on Monday.

KU leads the all-time series, 2-0. Last meeting was Self’s first game as KU coach. The Jayhawks won, 90-76, on Nov. 21, 2003 in Allen.

“We were down by 16 in the first half (24-14 early),” Self said. “I’m sure every Kansas fan was going, ‘Oh my gosh, what have we done (in hiring Self)?’ We came back and played pretty well. They’ll press, which will be good for us.”

They’ll play some halfcourt trap defense, do some different things we haven’t seen.”

The Jayhawks should be mighty motivated in coming off a loss.

“I’m definitely ready to go out and have another game, get the bad taste of this one out of our mouths,” Traylor said after the MSU game.

About Young: Senior Kevin Young had one point and one rebound in just three minutes Tuesday in his season debut, delayed because of injury (broken bone, right hand). “He’s not as good offensively yet because his hand is still messed up,” Self said. “Michigan State was so big, I thought we were better off playing a couple stronger times a majority of the time. He’s so excited to play. A week from now when things calm down and slow down for him, he’ll be playing a lot of minutes.”

Hanging jerseys: Self addressed the issue of jersey retirement ceremonies at KU on Hawk Talk. He said nobody will get a banner hung in the fieldhouse until five years after the player’s career is over. “We have a guy or two actually eligible for a retirement party coming up here real soon,” he said. “We could have some people off that ’08 team, particularly one, who have a shot to get inducted here hopefully real soon.” He did not name names, but one might infer Mario Chalmers, who hit the shot to force overtime in the NCAA title game vs. Memphis, could be first in line.

Comments

Woody Cragg 2 years, 1 month ago

Like Mills Lane used to say, "Let's Get It On!"

jaybate 2 years, 1 month ago

"jaybate's UTennChat (UTC) Intel Estimate"

OPPONENT: UTC Mocs

OPPONENT CLASSIFICATION: Cupcake. Mocs are either a low mid major, or a low major, depending on your preferred nomenclature.

WHY PLAY UTC?: UTC Coach John Schulman is a former assistant of Jeff Lebo at both Tennessee Tech and then UTC, where Schulman became head coach, when Lebo left for Auburn. Jeff Lebo played for Dean Smith at UNC. Jeff also spent a year with San Antonio. We can therefore see some links to KU. I find no direct Okie Baller link. But Schulman appears a "right way" guy who almost got S-Canned at the end of last season and is probably in jeopardy this season. So: KU needs a tune up game. UTC gives a tune-up game. Self helps Schulman stay in the AD's good graces by bringing an AFH sized gate sharing check.

UTC RECORD: 1-0 with W over Chattanooga Temple, a tiny Christian college.

OVERVIEW: Classic low major with a roster full of 6-1 to 6-7 players, no centers, and three forwards playing three "bigs" weighing in at 238-245, which sounds somewhat close to SEMSU. Schulman played 11 guys 10 or more minutes, 8 of those 15 minutes or more, so we're looking at a coach that likes to play two strings. Their trey shooting appears weak. Their scoring efficiency inside is low 40s. They made 68% of their FTs, which is not too hot. The outrebounded their opponent 2:1, had half as many TOs, and almost 3 times more steals. They don't try to block shots.

KEY PLAYER: 6-5 Z Mason seems to be their go to guy.

PLAYING STYLE: 25/75 split on treys/FGAs. Likely will shoot more treys against KU. But will go inside and shove and crowd our guys, if allowed. Like to get up and down the floor, disrupt with traps and get on the offensive glass.

FORECASTED WINNER: KU

MARGIN OF VICTORY: BLOW OUT.

RISK FACTOR: Only a let down of epic proportions, which seems highly unlikely.

Michael Luby 2 years, 1 month ago

Thanks for the break down JB. Seems Keegs and Jesse are too busy with Football to bother with Basketball this season.

hailtoku 2 years, 1 month ago

Football is more important lulu. Senior day is around the corner and the focus needs to be with those guys.

KGphoto 2 years, 1 month ago

I can't believe you would doubt Jesse's stat illness. It was only a matter of time before he broke it down.

jaybate 2 years, 1 month ago

Lulu,

There is an awful lot invested in KU football right now, and its been a tough season, so I reckon its best they attend to it for some positive closure to carry forward. Plus UTC is a game without a very exciting angle.

Thx for your thoughts.

Michael Luby 2 years, 1 month ago

Yeah, that makes sense. Maybe you should seek a part time career with the LJW?

TXChalker 2 years, 1 month ago

I've not seen any mention of the status of Zach Peters. Anyone know when he will be playing? Also, how come no Andrew White III in the MSU game?

HawkKlaw 2 years, 1 month ago

Zach has an injury and won't be back any time soon, it sounds like (no return date has been announced). AW3 didn't play against MSU because he's too much of a liability on defense right now.

Jason Keller 2 years, 1 month ago

I watched the Michigan State game again and focused on Ben Mclemore the whole time and I am convinced that he is the key to success this year. You just can't say enough about the kid. I've never seen anyone play defense so effortlessly. He can leave his man and go after steals because his ability to close is unreal. He was at the freethrow line once when his man was just loading up down in the corner pocket and Ben was there and about 3 feet in the air a moment later forcing a bad shot. Later down on the other end, he had a 3 point jump shot that I swear I have never seen someone get so much lift on. What's his name calling the game even mentioned it. I think it would have taken a dominant NBA guard to challenge that shot.

Ideally, we would like to lean on the seniors and pace Ben a little to kind of drag things out here in Lawrence but I don't know if that will be possible this year. He is about the only one who can get his own shot other than maybe Elijah.

I think when Ben leaves here he will be widely considered the best player we have had in 10 years. He will be in the NBA for 12 years at least.

clevelandjayhawker 2 years, 1 month ago

Great post- He plays with a great motor too, even though I still think he (and the whole team) are trying to figure out who is "going to take it". I feel like 5 or 6 of the guys have shown flashes of being "the guy" but none have done it consistently....yet. I think come conference time it will be Ben's show, unless EJ is still not 100%.

BMac is going to be that guy. I was worried Self had over-hyped him with some of his comments from the summer, but I think he was almost under selling him. He will be here for one year and one year only, lets enjoy the ride and continue to watch him grow.

Jack Wilson 2 years, 1 month ago

kellerman .. nice post. I wanted the game again, watching Ellis only. It affirmed for me my thoughts on Ellis' playing time. . He wasn't getting muscled around. He wasn't avoiding contact. He wasn't playing poor defense. The myth that it was too physical of a game for Ellis is just that .. a myth.

Skill wins basketball games.

jaybate 2 years, 1 month ago

I think the problem Perry faced was two fold.

First, he wasn't attacking anything. He wasn't going up up strong defensively on a fast break and challenging the driver. He wasn't attacking the basket on offense and thowing anything down. Self thinks they need someone more aggressive, someone that will sky and get in the opponent's face. I think you were right that Jamari was not probably not as effective on the glass and scoring as Perry might have been, but Self apparently felt that the team needed someone to challenge MSU and maybe intimidate them a little, to keep MSU from getting to cocky. I think it worked, but didn't produce enough boards and points. At the same time, Perry might have produced better numbers, but that might not have helped either, if MSU had just kept getting bolder and bolder about throwing their weight around.

Regardless, interesting point you make.

jaybate 2 years, 1 month ago

Thanks for weighing in, even though my take differs slightly.

We agree that Ben is a major talent.

We agree that it would probably best to put the team on Ben's back offensively and tell him to carry it, as was done with Rush his freshman season.

But before that can happen, Self needs Ben to learn two things, one of which Self has referred to repeatedly, i.e., Ben has to learn how to get open within the offense. He is like a lot of amazing talents fresh out of high school. He was so superior in high school that they just ran a little offense, gave him the ball and he could score almost anywhere, anytime. But in D1, you needed the offense to shake you loose with spacing and screens and often Ben is just not seeing the offensive opps open up yet.

Second, he got ragged defensively the second half from fatigue--not bad enough that he needed to be pulled, but bad enough that he his man got away enough that it forced others to adjust to help.

I reckon Ben will master these two skills by the end of the December and then Self will be ready to tilt the offense through him more.

I believe Perry will be coming along quite well by then, also.

Ben really needs an offensive threat in the paint to make Ben more credible.

It will happen, but its going to take a while.

Sam Constance 2 years, 1 month ago

I agree that Ben is the key to our success this year, but I continue to be bewildered when people peg him as a stellar defender.

When I watch McLemore on defense, I see an athletically gifted player who lacks the discipline required of truly great defenders (like Brandon Rush, for example). It's almost like he's the inverse Brady Morningstar (a player who lacked the crazy athletic ability, but was an outstanding defender based on his understanding of angles and staying home and moving his feet and using his hands without touching the offensive player).

I think he will probably get there, especially under Self, and I agree that without another bulldog-type mentality offensive player on the team, we need to suffer through his defensive growing pains and start letting him get comfortable in being the leader on offense. But right now, he's got some pretty big gaps in his defensive ability.

I don't remember well enough exactly how Brandon looked on defense as a freshman. I feel like I remember him being further along in terms of discipline than Ben is currently, but my hindsight might be getting influenced by the more recent memories I have of Rush.

Mel Clare 2 years, 1 month ago

It was nice to se Kensucky go down.......even if it was to puke!

KansasComet 2 years, 1 month ago

What I saw Tuesday night was an extremely talented Jayhawk Team. We just need to close. My belief is that during a close game the five players on the court should be five game finishers. Players that will either fight tooth and nail for a rebound, display enough coolness under pressure to deliver passes, knock down free throws, or have no fear of taking clutch shots. While I don't expect all five to possess every ability listed, they should possess at least one, if not, then they should not be on the court during winning time. Just my honest opinion.

My clutch five: Elijah Johnson, Ben McLemore, Jeff Withey, Kevin Young, and Perry Ellis. Hoping to add Andrew White to the list, but time will tell. Also Tharpe, if he keeps his turnovers to a minimum.

Looking forward to tonight's game. Hoping to see some minutes from Andrew White III and Anrio Adams. Maybe they will get their chance?

Jack Wilson 2 years, 1 month ago

Ok, but what if we don't have a tough guy mentality? Tell me one guy you would project .. a high minutes guy .. that would bring that? I can't think of one.

Traylor is that kind of guy, but you can't play him down the stretch.

This team may have to win another way. Lots of ways to win. Maybe accept who you are. Don't try to fit a square peg in a round hole.

Just a thought.

REHawk 2 years, 1 month ago

Do I detect an AW3 possibility in your puzzle fittings?

BCJayhawk 2 years, 1 month ago

About 10 days ago, Coach Self listed the guys "not in the rotation': Anrio Adams, Andrw Whitte III, and Landon Lucas destined for a redshirt. He did not mention Naadir, Jusin Wesley, Kevin Young, or Jamari Traylor. The last four listed did play, so we can assume that, at this time, they are "part of the rotation."

DoubleDD 2 years, 1 month ago

I hate to say it the only one on this team thats ever really showed that mean streak is the passive Withey. Talk about ur ironies, and lets face it most of that came from feeding off the bad to the bone TRob last year. Ah now there's some refreshing memories. When TRob dunk it he wanted to rip ur head off, the rim down, and backboard out. Everybody in the house knew it when TRob slammed it home.

Woody Cragg 2 years, 1 month ago

Although many board rats (including me) have bashed thug ballers in past seasons, it is the way the game is officiated now that permeates this prerequisite. Ya just gotta have some enforcers & that's a fact. Or some big enough bodies to throw weight & not obviously blatant elbows around the room, while earning a little respect, albeit the fear factor. We are lacking a Jeff Graves type blue collar guy & HCBS readily admits this. My reference to the old boxing ref/judge Mills Lane was the toungue in cheek battle cry for Traylor & Withey to take the inside out, hi low show to the next level, and quit thinking about the game so much. Even Self has stated "they are thinking too much." We're gonna miss Peters for damn sure, but KY, even Wesly, and Traylor can fill some of this billing. It's Jeff that will be the X factor in all this. Sometimes he can clearly dominate & sometimes he's a literal no show. Remember the O'fer game against misery? I don't know him personally so I've really no clue if he has a mean streak or not. CBB is no longer a finesse game & HCBS knows you have got to have the intimidation factor, plus those who can back it up. You can make the case that these guys play soft, lack toughness, or whatever, but without the fire of a TROB type guy, finesse teams do not win those butt ugly games we won in the dance last year, plain & simple, and that's the evolution of the game men. JMO, what's yours?

Jack Wilson 2 years, 1 month ago

I posted above in response to drgnslayr on this -- what if we don't have that?

Traylor, ok. But not a high minutes, down the stretch guy. Peters might have been.

Lots of ways to win.

BringBackNike 2 years, 1 month ago

Hanging Jerseys from the 2008 Squad:

Mario Chalmers & Brandon Rush

Soon to be in the rafters forever!

PSM 2 years, 1 month ago

i think 8 players from that 08 team will have their jerseys hung in the rafters someday soon

Jack Wilson 2 years, 1 month ago

9 .. Brady Morningstar was on the bench.

Tony Bandle 2 years, 1 month ago

Brady's jersey hanging from the rafters in Allen???.....not in a million years!! His positives will never get recognized because of his perceived negatives.

HawkKlaw 2 years, 1 month ago

I think Chalmers, Rush and Collins all have pretty good chances at getting their jersey's hung in the rafters.

Chalmers and Rush did more in 2008, but Collins carried the team on his back for two seasons after that (ending up with the most wins in Jayhawk history).

REHawk 2 years, 1 month ago

Lest we ever forget, Chalmers did, indeed, make the shot...but Collins completed an almost unbelievable pass to set up that shot. Without the magnificent timely shot, no overtime. Without that spectacular pass, no shot.

Jack Wilson 2 years, 1 month ago

And made a steal and 3 at 2:08; and played great D on Rose in the 2nd half and OT.

miajhwk 2 years, 1 month ago

my thoughts on msu game were ku looked soft. i suppose another way to say that is they lack toughness. i'll accept that description. i think this team is LOADED with talent but passive due to personality and youth. if they can get tough, if they can come out expecting to win, and expecting to dominate, and expecting to intimidate their opponents -- regardless of the quality of the program or the caliber of the coach (i'm looking at you, ohio state -- another big 10 opponent, incidentally), this team will gather steam as the year progresses and go on a deep march run. if these guys don't grow up real fast, however, they will win their share of games but probably be a bit disappointing. rcjh.

Page Butler 2 years, 1 month ago

I had to laugh because I mis-read this part of the article and thought Bill Self was being extremely harsh on his young team.

If you stop reading just before Vitale it sounds pretty blunt.

Jack Wilson 2 years, 1 month ago

Frank Mason signed yesterday. No comments from Self. No info here about it. Not even a mention at the bottom of the Frankamp article, or this article. Weird.

jaybate 2 years, 1 month ago

Great scoop. And I agree that the handling of it is very, very strange. Its almost like he wants to keep it off the radar screen, so that remaining high ranked recruits are thinking, "hmmm, KU is over committed."

Jonathan Allison 2 years, 1 month ago

Actually he did get a whole paragraph at the bottom of the Frankamp article. I read it this morning.

He signed in a noon ceremony yesterday at his school, but KU allegedly didn't get the papers early enough to issue a statement.

Jack Wilson 2 years, 1 month ago

Wow .. I looked back and there it is. I read the article very early today. Either it was not there in the first posting, or I am just getting old. I'd vote the latter.

Jonathan Allison 2 years, 1 month ago

I would assume that they added it at midnight, but it was at least added by around 7:00am. But it's safe to say that it wasn't in the first posting from yesterday.

jaybate 2 years, 1 month ago

"Thursday Cupcake Icing"

~This UTC game tonight holds little interest on the surface (except for neurotic dry washing about longshot upsets of a team with young players), but I actually think we may learn more about our team's future rotation from this cupcake game than from the MSU game. The MSU game proved that KU needs to develop a fifth perimeter player that can play 10 minutes and keep our starting three from having to play 36-38 mpg. If a 5th perimeter player is not developed, then Self will have to sandbag all season long again, as he did last season; that's something you try hard to avoid having to do. He had to sand bag against MSU, and it basically didn't work. Recall Self got away with a lot of sandbagging last season, because Tyshawn and Thomas were pretty much money every trip down the floor. So far, there's no sign of a Tyshawn, or a Thomas, that can score even when exhausted and so allow us to sandbag, stay close, and go to the hole exhausted down the stretch.

jaybate 2 years, 1 month ago

~The alternative to sand bagging is developing a 5th perimeter player. That 5th perimeter player could be either AW3, or Anrio, Adams, but probably not both. Early on it seemed clear AW3 was the primary candidate, because he could supposedly guard and had a deadly trey. But something happened on the way to the forum and his defense disappeared. Injury? Personal problem? New girl friend? Family issues? We don't know. We just know that Self spent the second exhibition game and the SEMSU opener preparing to play MSU, and in the MSU game stuck to 4 exhausted perimeter players and one, EJ who looked less sick than the game before, but who's legs still stiffened more the longer the game went on. So: the UTC is the logical game to give either, or both, AW3 and Anrio big minutes to start the process of preparing them. If both play 10-20 minutes, then we know they are starting neck and neck and Self is thinking about getting them both ready. But if one plays 10-20 minutes and the other plays 5, or less, then we can probably infer that one of them is already odd man out in Self's mind. And if one of them were to play nothing but clean up minutes at the end, then we might infer that player maybe at risk of being an OAF for one more big time recruit coming in.

~Next, we're going to learn tonight if Perry can bounce back from adversity.

~We're also going to learn something about how serious EJ's knee problems are. The last two games he has been playing with what appear to be heated quilts on his knees. I wonder if the quilts are probably covering bladders with heating gel inside? If he's still wearing the quilts, then we know he is still in the rehabbing process. And since Self said he is still not in game shape, if Self were to only play him 10-20 minutes, rather than 30 to get help him get into game shape, then we might infer that EJ's minutes were being cut to ease the wear and tear on them.

~Jeff gets a chance to chase 6-7 bigs for a game. Will Self rest him and go small, or make him chase? The answer is significant, because if he only plays Jeff 20 minutes, then we infer Self is also not trying to build Jeff's stamina up either; that he is more concerned about developing Jamari and Perry and Justin.

~One more thing about EJ: he was badly telegraphing a lot of passes against MSU and generally not operating very smoothly; this is a chance to let him get his stroke down against some lesser players; maybe get his feet wet touching the paint; something he has not yet done.

~This will also be a litmus test for Travis. He will have MUA tonight and there's no one big inside. If he isn't taking it to the rim tonight, he's probably never going to.

Rock Chalk!

Jack Wilson 2 years, 1 month ago

"The last two games he has been playing with what appear to be heated quilts on his knees. I wonder if the quilts are probably covering bladders with heating gel inside? If he's still wearing the quilts, then we know he is still in the rehabbing process."

That's a classic. Maybe a ham sandwich in there, too.

AW3 -- scores 10, 16, 3, and 15 in Europe. 45% from 3 range. Ya think this team could use a little of that?

And on Perry, you ask "Next, we're going to learn tonight if Perry can bounce back from adversity." ---- you mean, Self-created adversity?

On Travis .. I'll go with "probably never going to."

Good stuff. Definitely like your game previews as well.

jaybate 2 years, 1 month ago

"Some Criteria for Deciding When Its Time to Play Subs in a Blow Out at Allen Field House"

~Cheerleaders putting on make up during time outs.

~Yell leaders chatting up cougars in first three rows.

~CBernie handsigning Sheahon: "Blowouts...Are...B-o-r-i-n-g."

~Townsend starts practical joking by putting super glue behind Dooley's ears and pressing them till they stick.

~Manager asks starters for their jocks to start laundry, while they are lined up for a 1 and 1.

~One ref does soft shoe during free throws, while another dials his cell to make a reservation for three at Blue Stem.

~Cin texts Bill she's going home to slip into something more comfortable.

~Ghost of Phog Allen heard snoring.

~KU score board expresses home team's score in scientific notation.

~Dunks elicit yawns rather than cheers.

~Score keeper complains of repetitive stress syndrome in the hand he uses to score the home team.

~Visiting team's bench hangs a sign that reads "Closed for repairs."

~Visiting team's coach walks down and sits with Self to see if there will be an opening on the staff next year.

~Iron on home team basket melts.

(Note: all fiction. No malice. And no upsets!!!!!)

~

jaybate 2 years, 1 month ago

I have read the comments both ways on toughness and recalled the game.

I don't think we got out-toughed by MSU. Frankly, aside from their weight making it hard to hold positions, I though KU dished out about as much it took.

Remember, Ratso Izzo and MSU play the game as rough as anyone KU will meet this season.

And KU had the game won and lost it down the stretch mostly because our first four on the perimeter got worn out against Ratso bringing 6 on the perimeter, and so lacked the legs to make pretty much anything but a lay up the last five minutes.

Another cause of death was EJ speeding the game up from 10 to go to 5 to go instead of slowing it down, and feeding it into the bigs every time down the floor, so they could shoot FTs, and our perimeter guys could rest during the free throw breaks.

And the final cause of death was Self resorting to the weave when two of the three guys weaving were not credible scoring threats off the weave. The weave makes no sense, when Ben is the only guy with enough touch and legs left at that point to "score the ball" as Self likes to say. Doesn't make goofs like this often. Using the weave almost assured a bad look, because two thirds of the guys in the weave were not credible threats by that point of the game.

I think we're a pretty tough club and hanging with MSU that long and only losing by 3 proves it conclusively to me.

Self just wants to light a fire under Perry and turn him into an aerial acrobatic assassin, which he so far has not show a tendency to be.

Tough?

If you can play MSU, take a lead, and lose by only 3 after they lost to UConn, on a neutral court, then you are a pretty tough bunch yourselves.

I suspect UTC is going to experience quite a lot of "toughness" tonight.

Bradley Sitz 2 years, 1 month ago

The modern game requires consistent three point shooting and transition baskets. KU did well with transition. But, were are they going to get consistent 3 point shooting? Johnson is not a a reliable three point shooter.

REHawk 2 years, 1 month ago

A portion of the toughness factor comes from weight and muscle development. I thought Jeff might show up with an extra 6 pounds this season; but taking a close look at his legs from the knee south, he just does not appear to possess the bone development to carry much weight. Probably won't until he has spent 5 or 6 NBA years riding the pine 50% of game minutes. Perry has not yet been exposed long enough to the Hudy Process. Outside of Jamari, our big man and overall team "toughness" might have to develop as a mental thing...a matter of will, of dogged determination not to lose. Outside shots are going to have to fall in order for league coaches not to stack size and muscle against us, esp. in the paint or along the baseline.

REHawk 2 years, 1 month ago

Of course, if we can develop some slashing, we might combat some of that muscle defense by playing the freethrow advantage, foul em out game.

RJ King 2 years, 1 month ago

I guess I'll have to watch the game on Front Row tonight. Alas, I'll miss Bob Knight reminding me that not only did Johnson come off the bench to provide a spark last year, but by golly so did Travis Releford! Apparently Withey is our only returning starter. (I would loved to have heard the producer's remarks after that!)

REHawk 2 years, 1 month ago

By the way, although I grow quickly weary of Bob Knight's blatherings, he did point out something technically interesting regarding Perry's offense Tuesday night. He criticized Perry's lurking too close to the baseline, insisting that he was limiting himself to spinning or moving in only one direction, to his left. Perry was allowing the baseline to work as an extra defender vs. opportunities to move both directions toward the basket.

Tony Bandle 2 years, 1 month ago

Even a blind pig finds a ..........etc.

sportacopia 2 years, 1 month ago

It was a tough loss, but hopefully it is something they all learn from and grow. We are such a young team with veterans in core positions that have not had to step up any lead yet so it's going to be a process. We as KU fans are so spoiled from our constant success year after year we forget how great of a job our coaching staff does in developing new leaders year after year. I hate losing, but sometimes it helps us get to where we need to be quicker. I am excited to see them bounce back tonight. We had moments in the Mich St game where we looked good, and moments we were looking for a leader. Hopefully we get that settled quickly.

If U like sports u should checkout sportacopia.com its free 2 use 2 talk sports heres Y I made it http://sportacopia.com/blogs/1/1/why-sports

illuminatironin 2 years, 1 month ago

Why in the name of all that is holy do we not attack players who are in foul trouble? It wasn't just this game. This has been a trait for a few years now.

texashawk10 2 years, 1 month ago

Lack of communication is the biggest issue this team has right now. All of those issues Self talked about that plagued KU late in the game go back to this team not having a vocal leader on the floor. Most of the issues KU has right now can be traced back to this issue.

Another issue is EJ, BMac, and Releford all playing 35+ minutes with Tharpe getting the other 13 minutes on the perimeter. KU absolutely needs Adams or White to develop their defense enough so they can play 10 to 15 minutes a game so that EJ, BMac, and Releford are playing 30-33 minutes a game instead of 35+ minutes. Front court rotation looks like it'll be good with Young and Traylor backing up Withey and Ellis. I think ideally we'll see about 50-55 minutes out Withey and Ellis per game and 25-30 minutes out of Young and Traylor.