Kansas defeats Tennessee-Chattanooga, 69-55

• 7 p.m., Nov. 15, 2012
  • Allen Fieldhouse, Lawrence, KS

Thursday, November 15, 2012

Chattanooga chew-chew: Bill Self’s halftime words spur KU to 69-55 win

Kansas guard Ben McLemore pumps his fist as he celebrates a run by the Jayhawks against Chattanooga during the second half on Thursday, Nov. 15, 2012 at Allen Fieldhouse.

Podcast episode

Press Conferences & Post-Game Interviews

KU coach Bill Self

Kansas coach Bill Self talks to reporters following the Jayhawks' 69-55 victory over Chattanooga on Nov. 15, 2012.

Download podcast

Podcast episode

Press Conferences & Post-Game Interviews

Elijah Johnson, Ben McLemore and Jeff Withey

Elijah Johnson, Ben McLemore and Jeff Withey talk to reporters following the Jayhawks' 69-55 victory over Chattanooga on Nov. 15, 2012.

Download podcast

Box score

KU-Chattanooga

Bill Self had a lot to say to his shell-shocked Kansas University basketball players at halftime of the Jayhawks’ 69-55 victory over Chattanooga on Thursday in Allen Fieldhouse.

"First he asked us, 'Were we woke (awake)?' The answer was, 'No,'" KU senior guard Elijah Johnson said after a half in which he and backup point Naadir Tharpe were torched for 18 points by freshman dynamo Farad Cobb. His 6-of-7 three-point shooting gave the unheralded Mocs of the Southern Conference an eight-point (36-28) halftime lead.

"Then he kind of challenged us," Johnson added. "He said, 'You’ve got to wake up, snap out of it and we’ve got to play Kansas basketball.' We couldn’t end the game like that. He challenged the seniors. I felt me, Jeff (Withey), Kevin (Young) and Travis (Releford) put the team on our back and did what we needed to do to get the win."

Perhaps as importantly as Self’s message to the team — it obviously worked as KU outscored the Mocs 41-19 the final 20 minutes — was a one-on-one meeting between the coach and Releford in the huddle before the start of second-half play.

"I told him to let me get him," the 6-foot-6 Releford said, asking for the chance to guard tiny 6-foot Cobb. "He was getting whatever he wanted. Elijah was in foul trouble. Jeff was having a hard time hedging because the guy was so quick. I told coach, 'Let me get him. I’ll get over the screen. We won’t have to worry about Jeff stepping over a hedge,' and the game changed from there, I guess. Coach let me take him, and we stuck with it.”

Shadowed by Releford, Cobb hit just one of two shots (both threes) the final half and was not a factor as the Jayhawks, who trailed 42-30 two minutes into the final half, finally went to work on the huge deficit.

“The difference was we learned something tonight as a staff. We probably should have known it (before),” Self said. “We’re better with Travis on the ball. We took Travis off the wing, let him guard the point guard and Elijah guard somebody else. That will probably help our team. Everybody’s comfortable,” Self added. “Tonight (the Mocs) weren’t comfortable the second half, and I think Travis had as much to do with that as anybody.”

Freshman sensation Ben McLemore, who had five dunks and hit two threes en route to 25 points, scored six points in a 19-1 run that turned the 12-point deficit into a 49-43 lead. The run extended to 27-4 and 33-7 overall, McLemore hitting for 11 points in that stretch that gave KU a 63-49 lead with 3:55 left.

“I like to see a kid get 25 in his third game ever. I like to see that,” Self said with a smile. “Ben’s finger popped out twice — he dislocated the same finger (left ring finger) twice — and still went for 25. That was pretty special.”

Of his performance, McLemore said: “I came tonight with the mindset of being aggressive like coach wants me to be every night. That’s what I did. I just wanted to get my teammates involved, too.”

As far as the seniors, who indeed woke up the final half ... Withey finished with 11 points and 10 boards after scoring two points with three boards the first half; Johnson had 18 points and four assists after scoring five points with no assists the first half; Kevin Young had five points and seven boards after scoring four points with three boards the first half. Releford struggled offensively, missing five threes and scoring just two points, but played the pivotal defense the final half and also had five of his six assists the final 20 minutes.

“Our defense was tremendous the second half,” Self said. “The first half was just lack of energy. We’re not good enough to play at 80 percent or 90 percent. We have to play at 100 percent every night. When we do that, we’re pretty good.”

Perhaps the seniors learned a lesson.

Remember, Chattanooga had a comfy 36-28 lead at the break.

“It’s not a good feeling,” Johnson said. “I don’t like people to come in the fieldhouse and have a game like that. It doesn’t happen too much, and I know it’s not what the fans came to watch, unfortunately.”

All’s well that ended well, as KU bounced back from Tuesday’s loss to Michigan State and improved to 2-1. Chattanooga fell to 1-1. KU will next meet Washington State at 9 p.m., Monday, in Sprint Center in Kansas City.

Comments

REHawk 1 year, 5 months ago

Much of what I post on this site has little to do with technical hoops acumen, as most frequent posters have figured out, I am certain, long ago. I tend to shoot from the hip and go with gutlevel feelings. I do study statlines rather carefully, and I am inclined to activate the DVR to rewatch or scan games. That said, I am concerned with EJ's game. More to the point, I am concerned with our point guard play. Perhaps I just miss the second semester senior year performance of Tyshawn Taylor. I am savvy enough to know that EJ and Tharpe will not play in the manner of Tyshawn when Tyshawn finally focused on a forward roll. Perhaps, between them, they can approach a modicum of our point guard prowess from January through March last season; but only if EJ's leg holds up, and if Tharpe continues on the uphill grind toward playing as an assists-first point guard. Last night, Elijah bailed himself out of a miserable first half by nailing several 3s and zooming a couple of successful thrilling assists in the second 20 minutes. Naadir displayed one of his best assist to turnover ratios, but without significant scoring...and with trouble walking into traps. To wit, I am on a Rio Adams kick, and am likely to remain so, though quite probably in futile persistence. I "feel" that he possesses the body, energy and scoring history to play much in the way we grew excited watching Tyshawn play, after he finally got focused to lead a wonderful 2011-12 squad, and endear himself to NBA scouts who rewarded him with a second round draft selection, after probably giving up on him in the previous season. From the getgo, freshman Rio's court energy and early determination to learn Division 1 defense almost brought me out of my recliner...much in the way that Kevin's intensity to "make things happen" did when he popped off the bench last season. My inclination, again, says PLAY HIM NOW. If he deserves a quick hook, then talk to him about correction and get him back on the floor for several minuutes of game experience, baptism by fire, esp. in the first half of play. By league play, it is too late to develop a healthy excited blueblood aspirant who might be an essential cog in the replacement wheel, esp. if EJ turns out to be hobbled beyond toplevel performance, and Naadir blends into the machinery as only a serviceable, usually dependable sub at the pt. guard position. Enough of my postulating. Bed time.

Jack Wilson 1 year, 5 months ago

Roberson to Syracuse .. Gordon cuts KU from his list.

Tony Bandle 1 year, 5 months ago

Sorry I'm late....just got back from my annual endoscopy and also had my head checked...X-Rays showed nothing!! [Sorry, couldn't resist an old Dizzy Deanism]

Not unlike the players and coaches, we posters are also going through a new season with a new set of players as we also try to find "our rotations".

Just one comment...in the last three decades or so have we ever not seen Jayhawk team improvement and the team "finding it's own level"? I would make the case that 27 out of 28 NCAA Tournament appearances provides the answer.

Still, I truly enjoy the exquisite repartee between the posters on this site. It gives me hope that all is not lost in this world!!

cajayfan 1 year, 5 months ago

"Perhaps the Seniors learned a lesson." Are we going to have to hear this type of question after every game this year? They have been schooled enough. Time to play like seniors for a full game,

jaybate 1 year, 5 months ago

Part 3

As I have said in the past, I'm not sure even he always knows how he does what he does. He has tremendous knowledge of the game; that's a given. And he has tremendous clarity of vision when he starts out about what he is building toward. But this time? It is like everything he was building toward has already vanished from the feasible and he is finding his way by dead reckoning toward some barely distinguishable light on the horizon.

If he pulls it off this year, if he wins another conference title and makes another 8 or deeper run in the Madness, they ought to just put him in the Hall of Fame NOW and KU ought to bronze him and put him next to Phog.

Really, coming within 3 of MSU on a neutral court under the circumstances was flipping unbelievable, now that I have taken the time to reflect on what he's up against here.

Bottom line: Self is conjuring up a team her from the remnants of what he thought he was going to have.

Go, Bill, go!!!!!

jaybate 1 year, 5 months ago

Part 2

First, EJ did not recover fully from the knee, and that wrecked his plan to make this a point guard driven team, like last season, i.e., a team where the point guard touches paint 9 times in 10 minutes. Self held onto this hope until the UTC game, when he shifted gears and played through Ben Mac.

Second, Peters wrecked his rotor and that did away with any pretense of intimidating strength inside; hence, down-the-middle lite.

Third, AW3, who was to be the first perimeter player off the bench, imploded and this ended Self's hope for depth on the perimeter, which forced the team into sand bagging like last season, a similarity he hoped to avoid.

Fourth, Perry turned out not to be plug and play strong, but rather plug and play adequately, so now Self has to rely on Kevin and Jamari a whole bunch, and that means Self does not get to use his slender bigs to give a bunch of fouls, but rather has to keep them all from fouling just to try to committee the 4 and spell Withey at the 5. This is a huge blow to his early vision for the team.

Another thing only a few are talking about so far: Withey did not get stronger over the off season...not even a little. If anything, he appears lighter than last season. Maybe Self and Withey planned this; thinking he would need to play more minutes and so deciding to lighten up his load. But it doesn't look that way. It looks like Jeff is working his butt of and having trouble keeping the weight on.

Since most of the above eventualities were not, strictly speaking, probable, then it is probably fair to say that Self may already be in the midst of doing the greatest coaching job yet in a career.

I know I sound like a broken record about this, but I can't think of another coach, except maybe Coach K, that could not only recognize correctly, but adapt also keep up with adapting to, all of the issues, and required course alteration Self is making already this season.

We've only played 3 regular season games, and he has basically had to readjust dramatically the 1, 2, 4, and 5 roles to try to keep the wheels on this team and be 2-1.

At this early juncture, I would say Self is up to his ass in alligators trying to figure out how to save this team from going completely off the track. And because he is such a savant at this kind of tinkering and adjusting he is once again doing it and making it look like there is not all that much being done. He is amazing that way.

jaybate 1 year, 5 months ago

"Ad Astra per Aspera, or Self Conjuring a Team

Its fair to say that Self has not figured out how to win with this team yet.

Self is a coach that has shown until this year an uncanny ability to see how a team should play almost from the beginning and then spend all of his time building toward that.

This season is going differently than almost any other season of Self's tenure at KU in that his early vision for the team has not panned out.

Self initially saw this team playing interchangeably to last year's team (inside out, EJ plugs in for TT, Perry plugs in where Thomas was, Ben plugs in where EJ was, Withey repeats), but with less emphasis on the 4's scoring and boarding, overall more depth, a bunch of bigs to be used to give fouls to replace Thomas' brute force, and with a better defense stretcher at the 2 in Ben Mac.

His vision hasn't worked out and for the first time that I can recall, Self is not just having to plug gaps until a player gets healthy, or just mask certain weaknesses. He is having to restring the bow on the go. By restring it, I mean he is trying to play a similar game, same sets, but actually modulating each of the roles. He is de-emphasiziing point guard penetration, evolving to with what might be called down-the-middle lite, and beginning to look to Ben Mac to carry the offensive load.

Frankly, the longer things go on, the more the team has to play like last years team, rather than like the team he envisioned for this season. Once again, he has to sand bag to counteract lack of depth. Once again, he has to rely on two scorers (Ben and EJ), like last season, instead of a hoped for three (EJ, Ben, and Perry). It has to be very frustrating, even for a flexible, genius like Self.

And Self's initial team vision has just kept being eroded.

Jayhawk470 1 year, 5 months ago

No excuse for falling behind by 13 to a I-AA school. Never mind that we won. Why aren't the seniors being the leaders they're supposed to be? If the loss to MSU didn't prove it, a double-digit deficit against a I-AA school did: At #7, this KU team is overrated right now.

Jack Wilson 1 year, 5 months ago

To jjjjhok and your reponse to my post above on Mason: Yes, of course, I know he signed with Towson last year as your all caps emphasizes. You may have missed discussion yesterday. The question comes from whether a player can sign two LOIs. It has been mentioned many times here that a player can only sign one LOI as collegiate athlete -- and Mason signed his in 2011 with Towson. He didn't go. The question was "Can he sign another LOI since he already signed one?" If not, he's left with just a grant in aid agreement -- which is non-binding to the player, meaning he can bail.

So, your all caps may have actually been referencing that answe -- the year is important.

How this works .. as I understand .. is that an athlete gets a grant in aid offer. The LOI makes it binding on the athlete, and the school, for one year. You don't have to sign anything after that. But if the kid transfers, generally, he must sit out an academic year of competition.

Here's a link I hav on a LOI/Grant in Aid agreement as an example:

I found the answer -- you can only sign one LOI per academic year (it's the academic year that is important). The first link is to the question -- click on "signing another LOI". The second to the general website.

Sally Presson 1 year, 5 months ago

My goodness Ben, what a great game you had. So thankful you chose KU. Love, love love you!!! A big thank you to Travis who stuck like glue to that 3 point shooter--way to go Travis. The block shots by Trailer were outstanding. I watched the game on TV and got to see your dunks several times and each time I couldn't believe how high you jump. Looked like you jumped on a trampolene first.

Game by game the team is coming together, it's so much fun to watch you guys. I live and breathe KU basketball!! It's going to be a great year!! Rock Chalk

William Blake 1 year, 5 months ago

Teams we could beat right now in a game of "H-O-R-S-E:"

1. Cirque du Soleil Blindfold Trapeze Group

2. St. Theresa's Over-50 Ping-pong B Team

3. The National Polish Sailing Team (still expected in NY harbor)

4. Gen. David Petraeus' Female Facebook Friendship Squad

5. The Wizard of Oz Under-4 (ft) Munchkin League Champs

Just laugh it off. This team will become respectable in January....

dnvrhawk 1 year, 5 months ago

It's disappointing to see that elite Division I athletes need to be reminded at half time to play with intensity and 100% effort. - yet happens year after year. I don't get it.

Ethan Berger 1 year, 5 months ago

B Mac is an absolute athlete. The kid can be special. 3 point shot-check Mid Range shot-check Highlight reel-check Creating his own shot off the dribble- remains to be seen. If he can get this down, he goes from a first round pick to top 10. But he needs to ball in his hands, our offense needs to run through him. Ej, from now on he should be banished from shooting the three until the 2nd half. It seems he never its the first half ones then suddenly drains it in the second half. Gotta start driving earlier in the games and become a better distributor T Rel- I figured by now he would have accidently hit a three. They aren't falling, so move up and take the easier shot or play your game and dive to the hoop. Great defense, keep it up. Withey-Same thing with EJ, gotta start off better. Take smart shots and become the rim protector the whole game, not just the 2nd half. Ellis- Don't think to hard. Needs to take what they give him

jaybate 1 year, 5 months ago

"Where Have All the Powers Gone, Long Time Ago..."

~Bill Self putting Travis Releford on the point guard instead of Elijah Johnson vs a low major means that no matter how many minutes EJ plays, and now matter how much he scores, and no matter how much Self plays Naadir at point and has Naadir bring the ball up to keep EJ rested, EJ's knees are not permitting him to be the great defender he once was.

~Once possessed of blinding speed and the ability to leap tall buildings in a single bound, still shows flashes of speed, but mostly in straight line.

~EJ rarely touches paint.

~EJ rarely leaves the floor, except for trey looks, and even then, if he can squeeze a near set shot he will, rather than tax the knees.

~EJ's game has for the most part been reduced to a horizontal, old man's style game, same as Travis' game has been.

~EJ is extremely selective about using his springs.

~EJ's long stride (if no cutting is needed) is for now, anyway, his last edge.

~EJ is such a great and determined player that he can find ways to contribute in this limited condition.

~Question: Will playing big minutes restore his knees, or make them worse?

~Answer: So far, it looks like the big minutes are building him up slowly but surely, but there still seems to be a decision on the part of Self and EJ to wait awhile to send him into the paint on a regular basis.

HawkKlaw 1 year, 5 months ago

That was a tale of two halves for sure. It's good to hear that Travis stepped up when KU needed him most. That's the kind of leadership that KU needs.

Speaking of team leaders, it's becoming clear that this is Ben McLemore's team. When he's hot, the whole team feels it. When he's out of rhythm, our offense looks atrocious. I hope Ben gets used to putting up close to 20 every night. This team is on his back, especially when it comes to getting the offense in rhythm. Nothing against Elijah, Jeff or Travis. Their experience is something that the young guys will look to for guidance all year. But on the court, this team goes as BMac goes.

Other Notes:

Naadir Tharpe didn't stand out, but that's a good thing. He was running the point a lot last night. He had 3pts, 5 assists and most importantly, zero turnovers. That's exactly what we need him to do.

Withey had a really nice game too (11 pts, 10 boards, 6 blocks). He's no offensive juggernaut, but at least he kept Chattanooga honest last night.

Lastly, "Earth to Perry Ellis: Where are you?" I'm beginning to see why Self always refers to him as a "deer in the headlights." No reason to get too down on him, but he hasn't played to his potential yet this season. We need more out of him.

Overall, very poor first half, very good second half. We're learning!

rockchalker5 1 year, 5 months ago

Relaford needs to stop shooting threes. Travis Relaford is NOT a shooter. The sooner he figures that out the better. He does plenty of other things well that he doesn't need to be jacking up 5-6 three pointers a game.

Our bigs need to play tougher.....especailly Withey. I'll give the underclassmen the beneift of the doubt since its still early. I'd still like to see more playing time for Traylor.

Andrew White must be really struggling in practice, its dissapointing because I really had high hopes for him. But I'm sure he'll come around.

yates33333 1 year, 5 months ago

I wish someone would really find out what is wrong with Peters. A Rotator Cuff injury is pretty serious. The coach ought to explain what the doctors have said. At the rate he is recovering he may never recover. We need his bulk. He would be harder to push around and he seems to like to mix it up. I hope he isn't getting ready to transfer somewhere.

Young and McLemore all game and Releford and Withey in the second half are why we won.

Sam Constance 1 year, 5 months ago

(...concluded)

As much as we all said the MSU game was an important learning experience, I think this one was far and away more important in the context of this team's development. They controlled most of the MSU game and let it slip away at the end--that can be a very frustrating ending, but it's also one that's easy to rationalize: "Oh, we had that game, but just made a couple of mistakes at the end. No worries--we'll get it". A game like this, however, is where toughness is established. Playing terribly in the first half and against a team that was playing fearlessly--they had to realize that the only way they were going to win that game was to bear down and get back to KU basketball. Defense first and ball movement.

I still think this team has good depth, regardless of the fact that we've seen a fairly short rotation (typical of Self teams, even if not usually this early in the season). We have 9 guys who we expect to eat the bulk of the minutes: Johnson, Releford, Withey, Young, Tharpe, McLemore, Traylor, Ellis. And then we have two Rivals 100 backcourt players who look like they won't be seeing many minutes (White III and Adams), one Rivals 150 frontcourt guy (Peters), and one guy who wasn't ranked (Lucas), but was sought after by a fair number of solid programs: Georgetown, Arizona, Texas, Tennessee, California, NC State, USC, Stanford, Washington and Oregon. I doubt we're ever going to see Self using 10 guys, so I don't know if the minutes that Self doles out is the best way to judge depth. I would tend to judge it more by the level of talent of the guys who aren't playing, and this year's stable of pine-riders seems to be as good as we've had in several seasons.

One thing's for certain--this is going to be a VERY different team than last year's.

Sam Constance 1 year, 5 months ago

Well, I'm officially convinced that if the NCAA hadn't ruled McLemore and Traylor ineligible last year, we would be the proud owners of the 2012 National Championship. Moreso for McLemore, obviously--he was the missing cog that we needed in that matchup against Kentucky.

Once again, he shows that he is the real deal, clearly the best all-around offensive player on the team, and is the key to how far KU goes this year. While it would ordinarily make me nervous to have that kind of role in the hands of a freshman, we all know that Ben's not really a freshman, even though he's playing in his first games as a collegiate player. I still think he can be a defensive liability, mostly because he gets himself out of position, either from carelessness or because he's gambling in the passing lanes. I saw him do that at least twice tonight. Luckily, he's an athletic freak, so he's often able to compensate for his positioning mistakes, and once he does figure that out, he's going to be a great defensive force on the perimeter.

I'm not ready to write off Ellis yet, but he does have some work to do. I know he's had a couple of rough/early hook games in a row now, but how easily we forget that freshman big man has perhaps the steepest learning curve of any role in college basketball. The twins were a mess as freshmen. So was Robinson. Hell, Drew Gooden was a work in progress as a freshman. I think a few things have combined to set our expectations a little high for him--his high school productivity, the fact that we've become used to some BAMFers in the post in recent years (Robinson, Morrii, Aldrich, DJax + Kaun). Guys who, even if they weren't great offensive players, had a mean streak to them. That's a part of Perry's game that needs to be developed. It's hard to go from making upscale clothing to big-time D1 basketball, you guys! If you ignore his scoring (tough to do, I know, but stick with me), his line isn't too bad for a freshman big man on his 3rd college game EVER: 20 minutes, 4 rebounds (2 offensive), 1 block, 1 steal. He was helping the team in multiple ways, but I do think Self is using some tough love now, because he knows he needs to accelerate Perry's toughening. He doesn't have time to let him come into his own, like he did with Robinson, for example. Plus, I also think he's confident that Perry can handle it and is ABLE to grow quickly. Robinson was a lot more raw coming in on the offensive end.

(to be concluded...)

KULA 1 year, 5 months ago

Wow, did I read that right? Bill and his staff actually learned something tonight--that they should have already known? Well, hope springs eternal.

We're better with Travis guarding the point. A tacit admission that his vaunted "hedge" wasn't working, with Jeff picking up a guard that he's not quick enough to hang with away from the basket, resulting in All-Star stats for the opposing player for two games now. Well, at least Bill is willing to admit something isn't working and try something different. But anyone still want to argue that he wasn't out-coached by Izzo?

KEITHMILES05 1 year, 5 months ago

Make no mistake about it.......it was YOUNG who brought this team alive. He's such a game changer.

Offensively Releford is a HUGE liability. He just isn't much good. However, he can equal that out by playing great defense.

REHawk 1 year, 5 months ago

Point guard play still a bit of a mess. And bigs not hungry enough to lurch toward the foodbowl. Play Rio!

Jeffery Barrett 1 year, 5 months ago

Releford is the team's shutdown corner! Perhaps he should have played a few games in Memorial Stadium before BB season started.

Brian Powell 1 year, 5 months ago

PS-

We discussed this during the game, but if you didn't watch it live... the rotation and subbing was pretty chaotic. I hope our staff settles down just like the players need to :P

Still want to see more Traylor :) And Rio. Perry still needs some work. If he just turned it up a notch, he has the moves. He's just moving at HS speed - which was great in exhibition play - and not used to "banging" real college guys.

Also, KY was super clutch. He always comes in and hustles and makes plays. Love that guy. And his fro.

And we all know BMac is amazing. Hope it continues!

Matt Kenton 1 year, 5 months ago

McLemore actually bumped his head on the bottom of the backboard during his first half, baseline drive dunk. He is usually still going up when he throws it down. Kid has some serious springs and is going to be very fun to watch this year.

Brian Powell 1 year, 5 months ago

I like that Travis can D the ball, but there were a couple of problems:

His shooting (and some of his passing) was pretty atrocious. some bad passes too, I think. Usually not the case, but still -- he needs to tighten that up and focus on making plays closer to the rim like he usually does.

our GUARDS have to be able to defend guards, because we'll play longer/better teams where Releford will have to play wing. EJ and Tharpe (and Rio?) have to step up and D their man. They were not hustling with their feet last night... maybe some leftover weak sauce from the loss Tuesday night, I dunno. I was wanting Rio in there to harass the ball, and he got in, but not until the 2nd half.

Live and learn!

easyfive 1 year, 5 months ago

I was beginning to think our best coach went to Tulsa! Then Travis says, "let me take him" (Cobb). Thank God. I think Trav should get the MVP on this game. Helping our coaches win one.

chriz 1 year, 5 months ago

"Chattanooga Chew-Chew" --love it!

bennybob 1 year, 5 months ago

Couple observations from first few games:

I'm glad to see Self take advantage of his leapers (mclemore and johnson) those baseline screen lobs to the rim will be automatic all season because those two guys can just get up higher than anyone else on the floor

Perry Ellis needs to learn there are other post moves besides the drop step/ baseline spin. If I was defending him, i'd force him into the lane because he's obviously not comfortable going that way.

Jack Wilson 1 year, 5 months ago

Back to Mason from the Embiid/Greene page -- I had asked Jesse on the pregame chat why we hadn't heard anything about Mason, who had reportedly signed his LOI with Kansas on Wednesday. He said KU releases a statement once they receive the LOI. Ok ... so why has KU not received the LOI? This article shows Mason sitting at a table and notes he signed with Kansas.

There was a reference on the other page that he may not have actually signed an LOI with Towson (that comes from the discussion that you can only sign one LOI). Here's two links saying he did sign with Towson. The second link is the best, and comes straight from Towson, where the Towson coach announces the signing. Obviously, he can't talk about recruits until they sign or it's an NCAA violation:

This is all just a little odd to me. Mason supposedly signs Wednesday (same day as Frankamp). Talk was that he just didn't get it into KU on Wednesday -- here's what was reported here in the Frankamp article: "Point guard Mason signed his letter Wednesday in a noon ceremony at his high school. KU did not receive the letter in time to announce his signing."

The quote implies that KU did actually receive the "letter" -- not that they were waiting on it, but just not "in time to announce his signing." That was Wednesday. Maybe this is a big nothin'. Or maybe not. Maybe he gets announced today.

duanep5ku 1 year, 5 months ago

I was up all night Wednesday, so I was running out of energy to stay up till the game started,went to bed. I set the dvr thinking when I got up, I should be able to watch the game without worry,right. Well obviously, I was wrong because the first half caused me much stress. The problem is we still have a soft inside game,players get knocked around and moved off their spot to easy. I still think we are in trouble with the guard play so far. I mean we have the more athletic players sitting on the bench, Rio and White. Oh,I mean that Rio and White should be getting some minutes on the court,White is supposed to be a good shooter. Rio could become a better defender if giving some court time. Those two can't receive minutes because their freshman, they get in the game and boom,one thing bad or a minute later then their gone. Releford whole half of not much good and he stays on the court, still would like to see other options getting some minutes. The reason if Releford is not hitting his outside shots,the team is easy to guard. the other team just packs it in and boom we struggle to score. Still early in the season and I still think overall we can be a good team,hopefully hold serve in Allen and win some road games.

Jason Keller 1 year, 5 months ago

Get used to seeing games like this where Self is frantically looking for the winning combination of personnel. It's all part of being a team as deep as this.

As for Johnson, Trav, Kevin and Jeff putting the team on their back... I'd say mr. Mclemore was carring some of the load as well.

We might have a real somebody here with Ben. So strong and smooth.

kusayzone 1 year, 5 months ago

Our youngsters have not yet learned what home court means. They dont understand the impoortance of the old barn, and when you come to Kansas, you get it from the fans, from pthe players, and from the PHOG! They will learn what it means to play for Kansas, and it will take some time. BM gets it. PE had his moments. HCBS knows the way.The seniors need to lead the way. RCJHKU

okiedave 1 year, 5 months ago

Developing determination and focus.