Friday, November 9, 2012

Notebook: Perry Ellis scores most points in a KU debut since Josh Selby

KU forward Perry Ellis (34) drives against Southeast Missouri State's Tyler Stone on Friday at Allen Fieldhouse.

Podcast episode

Press Conferences & Post-Game Interviews

KU coach Bill Self talks after 74-55 win over SEMO

KU coach Bill Self talks after his team's 74-55 win over Southeast Missouri on Nov. 9, 2012.

Download podcast

Podcast episode

Press Conferences & Post-Game Interviews

Jeff Withey, Perry Ellis and Naadir Tharpe

Kansas players Jeff Withey, Perry Ellis and Naadir Tharpe talk after KU's 74-55 victory over Southeast Missouri on Nov. 9, 2012.

Download podcast

Box score

KU-Southeast Missouri

Kansas University freshman forward Perry Ellis scored 15 points in the Jayhawks’ 74-55 victory over SE Missouri State on Friday night in Allen Fieldhouse. It marked the most points scored in a debut by a Jayhawk newcomer since Josh Selby’s 21 points versus USC on Dec. 18, 2010.

Ellis hit five of nine shots and five of five free throws and had eight boards in 23 minutes.

Ellis played before a cheering section of about 20 family members and friends, including his grandmother, Ruth Terpstra of Rock Valley, Iowa. Perry’s grandfather, Floyd Terpstra, died in September and had planned on attending the game.

“I’m glad she got a chance to be here. Through the tough times I’m thankful she came out to support me,” Ellis said. “I’m looking forward to seeing her after signing autographs,” he added.

Freshman guard Ben McLemore grabbed 12 rebounds in his KU debut, becoming the first Jayhawk with double-digit rebounds in a debut since Markieff Morris’ 15 versus UMKC on Nov. 16, 2008. McLemore’s five assists were most in a KU debut since Aaron Miles’ five versus Ball State on Nov. 19, 2001.

“He needs to be more aggressive. He can drive it,” Self said of McLemore, who scored nine points off 3-of-8 shooting with 12 rebounds, five assists and three blocks. “He wants to please so much. He’ll continue to get better and better.”

Injuries, cramps: Elijah Johnson suffered a case of the cramps in the second half. “He didn’t play near that many minutes ... only 22. If he’s cramping after 22 then we got real issues. I think he’s going to be fine,” Self said.

Of Johnson’s four fouls, Self said: “They were awful. Travis (Releford) got him his fourth foul (with 12:30 left) by making a bad play. Elijah knows better than to foul. At the end (in fouling out at with four minutes left) he went in and reached from the help position. I’m not sure that’s all bad either. He has to learn to be smarter than that.”

Jamari Traylor left the court with his finger bleeding with about five minutes to play.

“I think he pulled his fingernail off,” Self said. “I went and looked and it was still attached. I think it was pretty loose. That’s all that happened there. I thought Jamari played pretty well (five points, one rebound, 16 minutes).

Fun facts: Ellis and McLemore became the first duo of first-year KU players to start a season opener since the 1969-70 season when sophomores Bud Stallworth and Aubrey Nash started against Marshall (freshmen were not immediately eligible upon entering college at that time). ... KU late in the game had players wearing jersey numbers 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5 on the floor. They are: Naadir Tharpe, Rio Adams, Andrew White III, Justin Wesley and Jeff Withey.

Red-shirt talk: Self said there was no final decision on red-shirting Landen Lucas, who did not suit up for the game. However, Self said KU was seriously considering having the Portland native practice but not play in games this season.

This, that: KU has won 40 straight Allen Fieldhouse season-opening games, dating back to the 1973-74 season. ... KU has won 11 consecutive season-openers, dating to the 2001-02 campaign, including a 10-0 mark in the Bill Self era. ... KU is now 19-0 against the current members of the Ohio Valley Conference. ... KU owns a 23-game home-court winning streak, which entered the game as the fourth-longest in NCAA Division I. ... KU extended its streak to 244 games without consecutive losses, which is the longest active streak in NCAA Division I.

Comments

Dirk Medema 1 year, 10 months ago

Perry & Ben are going to be special, and Bill is going to push them every step of the way.

kranny 1 year, 10 months ago

I'm glad we got Perry and not Shabazz Muhammed.

RJ King 1 year, 10 months ago

I'm glad we got Rio and Rootbeer and not Shabazz.

Ron Franklin 1 year, 10 months ago

Do you know why some players can be eligible if they pay back impermissible, while others cannot? The Shabazz article left me feeling he was out for the year.

I also wonder if Shabazz had picked Kentucky would the NCAA had left Cal alone? They governing body seemed to overlook all of the red flags with Anthony Davis.

1 year, 10 months ago

"I also wonder if Shabazz had picked Kentucky would the NCAA had left Cal alone?"

BrockIII 1 year, 10 months ago

I'm not sure that Shabazz is out for the entire year - they haven't ruled on that yet as I understood it.

Steve Reigle 1 year, 10 months ago

They said they know enough to say he's indefinitely suspended but they're still investigating additional possible violations and then can determine how long he will be out.

Chris Shaw 1 year, 10 months ago

That's how Selby was able to start playing after missing 9 games. He paid back the benefits.

Ron Franklin 1 year, 10 months ago

So if Shabazz pays it back, he can play, right?

Mel Clare 1 year, 10 months ago

Yep...............Shabazz ineligible...............kinda funny though.............how things work out.

nostradavid 1 year, 10 months ago

Bud and Aubrey were awesome; so are Perry and Ben.

jaybate 1 year, 10 months ago

EJ's knees are in trouble. I've never seen a PG trying to play so stiff legged. And he was limping walking into the L Room at half. Tharpe better get ready to play alot of minutes from here on out.

KansasComet 1 year, 10 months ago

Did not see the explosiveness from Elijah that we are used to. Hopefully he just needs a few games under his belt. Maybe cramps got the better of him?Remember Aaron Miles in Maui?

Ron Franklin 1 year, 10 months ago

Yes, Sir! He only logged 22 minutes and he could not seem to sustain that! Likely also lead to his 0 fer on Trey Bombs.

Jack Wilson 1 year, 10 months ago

And he we bent over at the waist it seemed like every stoppage of play .. looked like he was tired.

REHawk 1 year, 10 months ago

EJ's struggles should give life to Rio Adams' dreams. I hope Rio can stay patient and focused. He just might yet become an essential member of our backcourt this season. I am breathing a sigh of relief at Tharpe's dependability and progress.

KansasComet 1 year, 10 months ago

I like this team. For the first time since the 2007-2008 season, I feel we actually have 9 players worthy of legitimate minutes. It is a work in progress, because it is so early in the season. When the young fellas figure it out and the old fellas get their act together, this team can be something special. We may take a few lumps on our head getting there, but the end result should be great!

I really enjoyed watching Tharpe, Ellis, and McLemore last night. Andrew White III, 3 pointer at the end was pure! What a weapon to have, once he earns his minutes. As far as Landen Lucas goes, sitting on the bench or redshirting at KU is really nothing to be ashamed of. If Cole Aldrich could do it, and he sat quite a bit of bench his freshman year, then Landen Lucas can do it too, and learn quite a bit in the process. His time will come.

What a talented bunch we have this year, I am totally excited! However, the shooting last night from the outside was awful. That has to get better. I am sure the maintenance crew was busy after the game last night re-painting the back of the rims, because we appeared to have knocked all the paint off of them last night. Anyway, time to get ready for a physical game with MSU. Go Jayhawks!!

Ron Franklin 1 year, 10 months ago

Tharpe appears to be much more relaxed out there this year--especially on the offensive end. I thought his D would keep him off the floor, but it appears Ben, EJ, and Releford, and Withey are strong enough defensively to make up for his lapses.

KansasComet 1 year, 10 months ago

Good point, I love our ability to defend. Tharpe does not fear the quick hook this year and it shows!

REHawk 1 year, 10 months ago

Jayhawks are doing a solid job of switching off on defense.

Robert Murphy 1 year, 10 months ago

Landon Lucas will be much better than Cole Aldrich. He is going to be a star.

HawkKlaw 1 year, 10 months ago

Ha, wow! Let's reel in those expectations a bit, shall we? Cole was a beast!

Ron Franklin 1 year, 10 months ago

Notebook: Kansas University opens the season with a victory for the first time since last year.

jaybate 1 year, 10 months ago

Good D Sign: No switching for Naadir.

Bad D Sign: Only 3 burglaries.

Good O Sign: Self began to run the offense through the wings down the stretch to ice the game.

Bad O Sign: He has still not shifted to Wooden's high post offense (Wicks/Rowe/Patterson era) to maximize his wing attack talent (Perry would be Wicks, Trav = Rowe, and Ben attacks out front with Trav and Ben rotating wing and front); this clears the big men out of the middle (Jeff top of key) to get the most out of his wing MUA. Backside wing and Jeff top of key crash rebound when ever ballside wing creates. He should go to this set a third of the time at least, since he defaulted to wing attack anyway.

Robert Murphy 1 year, 10 months ago

Whithey would be much more effective scoring at the top of the key where he can make shots (just like he makes free throws) if the coach would let him. Jeff is never going to have the strength under the basket. No legs. You are correct we must play through the wings. Ellis, Ben and White (should do better than Trav if he can learn to play defense).

REHawk 1 year, 10 months ago

This squad appears to show the early potential to be Bill Self's best defensive Jayhawk team in his ten year tenure. If shooting percentages don't soon rise, defense might save our bacon. I look to see bundles of steals in oncoming weeks, once we become proficient in answering Self's demand to go after those 50/50 balls.

KansasComet 1 year, 10 months ago

Well said and great insight, thanks! I could not agree with you more!

REHawk 1 year, 10 months ago

Congratulations to team players Perry and Ben for blending so quickly into Bill Self Basketball. Two superstars in early stages of development beyond the h.s. level. Lofty ceilings.

Lonnie Ross Dillon 1 year, 10 months ago

Maybe it's just me, but an article (and a headline) that emphasizes "first since..." 2 years is weak. First in 50 years is special, even 10 years, but two is silly when you consider that debuts only happen once a season. This has been a trend and it drives me crazy. Now back to your regular programming.

Alohahawk 1 year, 10 months ago

Was it opening night jitters? Or will KU shoot that poorly on average for the season? Let's hope it was first official game nerves.

Actually, excepting for the field goal percentage, KU performed pretty good.

If Withey keeps those averages or comes close to them this season, the national analysts will have been right, and he'll deserve his preseason accolades. I remember predicting that if he could hit his freethrows this year, he could end up the best 'and one' player nationwide. Imagine if he averages 8+ freethrow attempts a game and can connect on 70% and above. And 5 blocks a game doesn't seem out of his reach, no pun intended. Truth will tell when JW plays tougher/taller, or should I say shorter, competition?

Not having witnessed the game, BMc's defense must be pretty good. I mean, he's not 7 feet tall, but he had 3 blocks. That's hopping good, skying defense for a 6' 6" wing. Usual the blocks come from the post defensivemen. Good defense could be a tremendous help keeping Jeff from getting into foul trouble. One less of the opposition driving into the lane and drawing fouls. Add that to BMc's 12 boards and he won't have to average quite as many points, when it comes to impressing the NBA scouts. Note: My hope is that he doesn't rely on his 3 point shooting (ala Former Jayhawk, Giddens), and instead, drives the lane more than shooting from outside. He'll have a better percentage shot and there's a good chance he will get fouled. (Can you hear me, Ben? And EJ, too?)

Perry Ellis: Great start to what could/should be a tremendous Jayhawk career. If he does this well now, imagine him in a few months (or years).

Rebounding: KU - 49 / SEMO - 37. KU had a great rebounding lead at the half, then SEMO did much better the 2nd half. Still, KU had 3 who nearly reached 10 or more (Jeff, Ben and Perry) and TRel got 5. So no complaints. Having 3 players that nearly achieved double/doubles is a nice start.

Turnovers: 13 isn't that bad considering it's the 1st official game and with two 1st time starters. TRel's 4 were, in my opinion, an aberration that might never happen again. He just needs to become accustomed to playing with his newer teammates.Tharpe had 2, but seems to have played within his capabilities.

Assists: 12 for the 24 field goals made is a low percentage for a Self coached team. They're still adjusting and it will take time to familiarize what each teammate will or will not do under different circumstances. Practice, practice, practice.

Freethrows: 24 of 28 (85.7%!!!) What can one say but "Unbelievable!" Especially when KU's best freethrower from the previous season hits the lowest percentage.

3 pointers. Refer back to my 1st sentence. If KU makes any sort of decent percentage, the game is a blowout. I just hope the Jayhawks don't toss up this many 3's in the future, especially if they aren't falling. (The old saying "Remember the Maine." could be revised and updated to "Remember VCU.") Enough said.

mikehawk 1 year, 10 months ago

Perry Ellis is special. Smooth, natural, like a superior running back who can always seem to find the opening. I have read about him, but last night was my first chance to get a look. I'm impressed. I am very very much impressed with all of the new players, and B-Mac is really good, but Perry Ellis is the one who really jumps out to me.

Jeff Suther 1 year, 10 months ago

So are we really saying perry may be as good as Selby?