Monday, November 5, 2012

Div. II elite Ichabods may offer Jayhawks stiffer test in final tuneup

The Kansas defense defends Emporia State around the permimeter during the second half, Tuesday, Oct. 30, 2012 at Allen Fieldhouse.

Basketball fans will find out tonight what happens when one of the top teams in NCAA Div. I takes on one of the elite teams in Div. II.

Tipoff for an intriguing exhibition contest between No. 7-ranked Kansas University and No. 2 Washburn is 7 p.m., in Allen Fieldhouse with a live telecast on the Jayhawk Network (local cable channels 3, 13, 203, 213).

“I see this as a big game for the both of us ... them coming in with such a high standard for their year and us, as well,” said KU senior point guard Elijah Johnson. “I feel it’s a good test for both schools. I feel we’ll both go out and play hard,” Johnson added.

There are bragging rights at stake for Johnson and several of his KU teammates, who worked veteran coach Bob Chipman’s camps this past summer.

“He’s a cool dude, funny, a cool person to be around,” Johnson said of Chipman, whose 34th Ichabod team may be his finest considering it returns 90 percent of the scoring and 94 percent of the rebounding from last year’s 25-8 squad.

Washburn has already played a pair of unranked Big 12 squads in the past week.

The Ichabods, who trailed by six points with 16 minutes to play, fell at Oklahoma, 83-66, on Saturday after losing at Kansas State, 81-61, on Oct. 30.

Will McNeill, a 6-1 senior guard from Alexandria, La., who averaged 20.2 points and 5.5 rebounds a game last season, has averaged 15 points and 4.5 rebounds in the two practice games.

“They can win the national championship in Div. II,” KU coach Bill Self said. “They played K-State even after K-State jumped all over them early. It was a 6-point game the second half against OU and OU made 11 threes.”

Self’s Jayhawks are coming off last Tuesday’s 88-54 exhibition opening victory over Emporia State.

“I’d like to see if we can defend motion. I’d like to see us gradually improve just a little bit off last week,” Self said.

Senior center Jeff Withey scored seven points with six rebounds in 18 minutes versus the undersized Hornets.

“I think that would be an understatement,” Self said, asked if Withey was “flat” in the opener. “Jeff doesn’t play as well against small guys. He never has historically. He always plays better against big guys. Washburn does have some bigs they can throw at us (at) 6-8, 6-9. I think he’ll play better tomorrow. I thought he looked a little slow in the first game.”

Joseph Smith, the tallest Ichabod at 6-foot-9, scored 12 points versus the Sooners. Bobby Chipman, son of the coach, is 6-8. He hit for eight boards and three points against OU.

“Definitely I was a little rusty (but) that game is behind me,” Withey said. “This week of practice has been tough. Coach has been on us. We definitely are going to come out with more energy and be ready to play moreso than last week.”

In the opener, Self started red-shirt forward Jamari Traylor over freshman Perry Ellis. Both played well. Traylor scored six points and grabbed four rebounds in 16 minutes; Ellis scored 15 points with seven boards in 16 minutes.

Naadir Tharpe started over Johnson at the point in response to Johnson being late for a class.

Tharpe scored eight points with four assists against one turnover in 17 minutes; Johnson had 12 points off 4-of-11 shooting with five assists and one turnover in 23 minutes. Other starters were Withey, Ben McLemore and Travis Releford.

“I’m not sure. It may be the same, it may not be,” Self said of the opening lineup. “I’ll have to see. For probable starters you could go with last week’s and it may or may not hold true. I don’t know.”

Injury updates: Senior forward Kevin Young, who broke a bone in his right hand on Oct. 25, will likely begin shooting today, Self said.

“We were hoping he could shoot this weekend,” Self said Sunday. “He wasn’t able to. Hopefully he can shoot tomorrow. We’re still believing he can be practicing by Saturday.”

Freshman walk-on guard Evan Manning, who has been wearing a boot on his right foot all preseason, practiced for the first time on Sunday. “I don’t know if he can play in the game, but he did practice,” Self said.

Freshman forward Zach Peters remains sidelined with a rotator cuff injury in his left shoulder.

Rush’s injury: Self as of Sunday had not yet spoken to former KU guard/forward Brandon Rush of the Golden State Warriors, who suffered a torn ACL in his left knee over the weekend.

“I text him and called him and talked to his agent and family friends and everything,” Self said. “I hate to say this, from what we hear it’s a very severe injury. He’s playing so well. He turned the corner to be a 10- or 15-year NBA veteran. He’s only got one year left on his contract right now. I will say this about Brandon ... he’s been there, done it. He will be discouraged I’m sure for a bit. Somehow or another he’ll rally around it like the last time it happened.”

Rush, 27, battled back from a torn ACL in his right knee at the conclusion of the 2006-07 season. He helped KU claim a national title in ‘07-08.

Comments

Konkis Dongington III 1 year, 5 months ago

I can't honestly be the first to kvetch here, can I? Wow what a monumentally ugly game. I hope that was just one of those nights. I can tell you that the whole team is gonna be running stairs after that effort. Withey should have been able to eat this team alive on the offensive end, but it was nothing doing. I don't entirely blame him, though. The guy this rests most at the feet of is EJ. He's got to be a leader out there when nothing is going right. He didn't take over the game. He didn't drive to the paint and make plays. It's important to get the young'ns involved, for sure, but when those guys just need to see the ball go through the hoop, EJ's gotta be the one making that happen. I won't make too much of this today. If it was just one of those nights, we'll bounce right back. But this doesn't give me much confidence vs. MSU in a week and a half. Nix and Payne are gonna be a hell of a lot harder to guard than a bunch of 6'6" post players. EJ's gotta make the offense work. Withey and Relly have to step up. We should have KY back by then. He should be able to give us the spark that this game's second half so sorely lacked.

LLH 1 year, 5 months ago

Feel terrible for Brandon. I'm not a huge NBA fan, I prefer the college game. I do watch the NBA though, primarily to follow former KU players. I thought Brandon was really coming along nicely in the pros too. In other news... YES, Washburn is solid, and in my simple opinion, I agree that they have the ability, depth, and coaching to contend for the D2 title, same can be said for KU in DI as was mentioned. I'm looking forward to another LONG, successful KU BBall season. I really enjoy watching Perry Ellis. Man what a natural feel for the game he appears to have. Excellent foot work, and he plays at a controlled pace, meaningful and with purpose. I have read the concerns about his lack of aggressiveness, I don't know if I agree or not, I could see where that comes from I guess, but to me, he's just very polished and plays smart. Some guys are simply more emotive with their play, and their expressions than others. Believe it or not, you can be under control, yet aggressive at the same time. I couldn't be happier for McElmore. After what he and Traylor had to endure last year, this is going to be a lot of fun for them. Kid's got a nice looking shot and great bounce. Tonight's game was kind of a slug fest, but I'm glad. As JB has mentioned numerous times over the years, Izzo and his brand of "Xtreme Muscle Ball" will be guarding tough and handsy as was Washburn. It was good to have a herky jerky, grinder game, exhibition or not. Real fun starts Friday, cheers!!

Jayhawk470 1 year, 5 months ago

Okay, so its not on ESPN3.com. Is someone else going to stream video of the game? I'm in Louisville, KY right now, and can't watch the game on a local station.

Ralster Jayhawk 1 year, 5 months ago

Best regards to B.Rush. Indispensable member of '08Champs, dropped 25 on UNC, outflew PsychoT, and chased CDR all over the arena in the Champ game. His missing the very first KU freethrow vs. Memphis focused our guys so much, no one missed another KU freethrow the rest of the game, including in OT...

Ralster Jayhawk 1 year, 5 months ago

As I have been curious about the level of inner fire in Perry Ellis, a NICE story in the Wichita Eagle describing his incredibly intense competetive nature in every single thing, from trying to 1-up his sister in academics AND number of basketball state titles, to how he approaches the game. So, imho, Perry Ellis will quickly see the competetive bar has risen, and he will push himself even harder. The next level is now. RCJH

jaybate 1 year, 5 months ago

HEM,

PHOF!!

These look-fors should be the start of a Viewing 101 Curriculum.

soapisurfriend 1 year, 5 months ago

Chris McCullough, an ultra-talented forward in 2014, has committed to Syracuse. He was a New York guy and always rumored to be a SU lean, but he also was considering the Jayhawks. He's another Brewster kid, which gave me some hope.

Jack Wilson 1 year, 5 months ago

For those who mock being able to gain any insight when playing a D-II, here's 3 players to keep an eye on. Just focus on these three players, and the items noted. Record the game. You can rewind if you miss something while focusing on these guys.. If you get an impression, go back a re-watch to double-check yourself.

1. White - watch the angle of his feet when guarding on the wing, whether he's standing straight up, whether he's bent at the waist, or at the knees, whether he gets crossed over, what he does on a cross over dribble, whether he can get to the baseline to cut off penetration, whether he can stop a drive with his chest, how he guards his man when his man doesn't have the ball .. and one of the best generic eye tests of all .. does he look like he's a 1/2 step behind?

2. Tharpe - watch if he makes any penetrating passes, watch if he can feed the post from the wing, watch if he is sure with his passes, watch if he handles pressure;and watch the same things on Tharpe as you were watching on White.

3. Adams - compare and contrast his defense to Tharpe; to White. What are the differences? Then compare all three to Releford. Watch how Adams handles the ball under pressure, in traffic, and whether he's able to pass confidently under pressure or to teammates being closely guarded.

Makes a game vs. Washburn that much more interesting. And maymake converts out of a few of the "it's a meaningless game" folks in the process.

Jonathan Allison 1 year, 5 months ago

I got the Washburn vs Oklahoma game on cable on Fox Sports in Houston, but Kansas can't get anything more than local coverage for these exhibition games? Someone in the athletics department isn't doing their job!

Tony Bandle 1 year, 5 months ago

Here are the Secrets to viewing Kansas basketball.

1] Go in the backyard and face toward Lawrence, Kansas. 2] Put a hat made of aluminum foil on your head with at least two antenni 3] Repeat 50 times the words " Max Falkenstein". 4] Drink six malt liquors one after another. 5] If it works...fine. If it doesn't work...who cares!!

Ron Franklin 1 year, 5 months ago

Just looking for a little help here....

I have dish network. I have purchased full court.

I could not get last weeks game.

Does anybody know if this weeks game will be televised?

Cox seems to have it on one of their local channels....

Thanks in advance.

Micah Mandy Haase 1 year, 5 months ago

I am ready to see this years team.. I purchased my tickets for the OU game here in Norman.. I am glad the fans travel well in basketball... I was here for the OU-KU football game and there was only about 200 fans here.

KGphoto 1 year, 5 months ago

I like Ellis' mellowness. If he produces like it seems he will, it will be a welcome change to the chest pounding. I don't mind that stuff either, but I absolutely hate watching my Nuggets play the Spurs, mostly because Duncan is an unflappable, stat stuffing, MVP collecting, trophy hoarding Champion. He is just so workmanlike. As an opponent it gets under your skin that much more when he beats you, and then acts like it's no big deal.

So, yeah. I'll make that comparison. Ellis is our "Big Fundamental". Thank you Shaq.

jhkprd 1 year, 5 months ago

Hi, everyone. I haven't posted for awhile. I moved out of the jayhawk TV range. Does anyone know an internet link that will provide tv coverage like I had for the Emporia State game?

Reuben_J_Cogburn 1 year, 5 months ago

I'm encouraged by Ellis' demeanor. Some might consider it lax, much like Brandon Rush's. But I would much rather have a guy who remains focused and grounded during games, than J.R. Giddeons loosing grip like an idiot every time he makes a three.

I apologize for the J.R. reference. Little obscure I'm aware. But if there's anyone that obviously fits the polar opposite of Perry Ellis, it's someone like the Moonbar Menace.

Tony Bandle 1 year, 5 months ago

The ICHABODS will ride into Lawrence CRANING their necks to establish that they are neither SLEEPY or HOLLOW but will eventually be DECAPITATED by the superior Jayhawk squad despite putting up a desIRVING effort.

wildjayhawk 1 year, 5 months ago

This could be a real test for KU as the Wildcats looked extremely good with a lot of great players and a deep bench.

phogphan2000 1 year, 5 months ago

Wonder how much longer 'til we get a redshirt announcement on Zach Peters? Disturbing that there's just no idea on when he'd be able to practice again.

Sounds like KU will have to work harder if they want to score a big blowout of Washburn. One important lesson I hope the 'Hawks pick up from their first 3 matchups is to get out to a quick start and keep on the gas. I think MSU is an opportunity for KU to blow somebody out and could help these guys keep that mentality of not letting a lesser team into the game as the season goes on. First gotta do it to Washburn.

REHawk 1 year, 5 months ago

Perry Ellis is an extremely bright self motivated and very polished talent. The toughening thing might soon become more of a 2-way street between him and his hardnosed coach.

jaybate 1 year, 5 months ago

Kool,

Maybe, but...

Self didn't appear to doubt Mario's toughness by then. Self appeared to be sticking the needle in way deeper than toughness. Self appeared to want to crack him open and let the lion out, show the boy that men operate at a different level of ferocity and hardness. Mario Chalmers, meet the lion inside you.

The Designer may be on the same path.

jaybate 1 year, 5 months ago

"Monday Fog Lifters"

•Withey has trouble with short guys? Make him play on his knees.

• For a coach who used to say it didn't matter who started, Self is really using starting as a stick with this group.

• I have a feeling The Designer is getting the Mario Chalmers Memorial Toughen Box Treatment. Self is just going to keep picking at him till Perry wants to fight him, the way Mario did finally. It took a year and a half with Mario. Watch out, Bill, Perry is quite a bit bigger than Mario.

• Washburn's motion should give some indication of how much Jeff has improved his skill and endurance at chasing and hedging.

• Will be interesting to see if Self thinks they've made enough progress defensively to start the long grueling pre-conference process of learning to defend without switching. Hunch: he shows some switching and some not to make Ratso prepare for both, but the crucible of guarding without switching--the part where want to is tested--starts now.

• Wouldn't it be sweet if KU won D1 and the 'bods won D2?

• Has any state ever won D1, D2, and an NBA title the same year?

• KY is getting the Tyshawn played a week after a scope, what's a little FX among men treatment.

• For those that still doubt Josh Selby's fury to compete, recall he played with stress reaction and a boot after a week, whereas Evan has taken 6-8 weeks to get back. All injuries are unique, and not knocking Evan, but Josh was a lion.

JayhawkNNE 1 year, 5 months ago

Good luck in your recovery Brandon.

Jayhawk470 1 year, 5 months ago

With my younger sister now a freshman at Washburn, a KU victory gives me family bragging rights.

Michael Luby 1 year, 5 months ago

Damm!! Thats awful about Rush. Major bummer. I hope he gets better and can play again.