Monday, November 5, 2012

Div. II elite Ichabods may offer Jayhawks stiffer test in final tuneup

The Kansas defense defends Emporia State around the permimeter during the second half, Tuesday, Oct. 30, 2012 at Allen Fieldhouse.

Basketball fans will find out tonight what happens when one of the top teams in NCAA Div. I takes on one of the elite teams in Div. II.

Tipoff for an intriguing exhibition contest between No. 7-ranked Kansas University and No. 2 Washburn is 7 p.m., in Allen Fieldhouse with a live telecast on the Jayhawk Network (local cable channels 3, 13, 203, 213).

“I see this as a big game for the both of us ... them coming in with such a high standard for their year and us, as well,” said KU senior point guard Elijah Johnson. “I feel it’s a good test for both schools. I feel we’ll both go out and play hard,” Johnson added.

There are bragging rights at stake for Johnson and several of his KU teammates, who worked veteran coach Bob Chipman’s camps this past summer.

“He’s a cool dude, funny, a cool person to be around,” Johnson said of Chipman, whose 34th Ichabod team may be his finest considering it returns 90 percent of the scoring and 94 percent of the rebounding from last year’s 25-8 squad.

Washburn has already played a pair of unranked Big 12 squads in the past week.

The Ichabods, who trailed by six points with 16 minutes to play, fell at Oklahoma, 83-66, on Saturday after losing at Kansas State, 81-61, on Oct. 30.

Will McNeill, a 6-1 senior guard from Alexandria, La., who averaged 20.2 points and 5.5 rebounds a game last season, has averaged 15 points and 4.5 rebounds in the two practice games.

“They can win the national championship in Div. II,” KU coach Bill Self said. “They played K-State even after K-State jumped all over them early. It was a 6-point game the second half against OU and OU made 11 threes.”

Self’s Jayhawks are coming off last Tuesday’s 88-54 exhibition opening victory over Emporia State.

“I’d like to see if we can defend motion. I’d like to see us gradually improve just a little bit off last week,” Self said.

Senior center Jeff Withey scored seven points with six rebounds in 18 minutes versus the undersized Hornets.

“I think that would be an understatement,” Self said, asked if Withey was “flat” in the opener. “Jeff doesn’t play as well against small guys. He never has historically. He always plays better against big guys. Washburn does have some bigs they can throw at us (at) 6-8, 6-9. I think he’ll play better tomorrow. I thought he looked a little slow in the first game.”

Joseph Smith, the tallest Ichabod at 6-foot-9, scored 12 points versus the Sooners. Bobby Chipman, son of the coach, is 6-8. He hit for eight boards and three points against OU.

“Definitely I was a little rusty (but) that game is behind me,” Withey said. “This week of practice has been tough. Coach has been on us. We definitely are going to come out with more energy and be ready to play moreso than last week.”

In the opener, Self started red-shirt forward Jamari Traylor over freshman Perry Ellis. Both played well. Traylor scored six points and grabbed four rebounds in 16 minutes; Ellis scored 15 points with seven boards in 16 minutes.

Naadir Tharpe started over Johnson at the point in response to Johnson being late for a class.

Tharpe scored eight points with four assists against one turnover in 17 minutes; Johnson had 12 points off 4-of-11 shooting with five assists and one turnover in 23 minutes. Other starters were Withey, Ben McLemore and Travis Releford.

“I’m not sure. It may be the same, it may not be,” Self said of the opening lineup. “I’ll have to see. For probable starters you could go with last week’s and it may or may not hold true. I don’t know.”

Injury updates: Senior forward Kevin Young, who broke a bone in his right hand on Oct. 25, will likely begin shooting today, Self said.

“We were hoping he could shoot this weekend,” Self said Sunday. “He wasn’t able to. Hopefully he can shoot tomorrow. We’re still believing he can be practicing by Saturday.”

Freshman walk-on guard Evan Manning, who has been wearing a boot on his right foot all preseason, practiced for the first time on Sunday. “I don’t know if he can play in the game, but he did practice,” Self said.

Freshman forward Zach Peters remains sidelined with a rotator cuff injury in his left shoulder.

Rush’s injury: Self as of Sunday had not yet spoken to former KU guard/forward Brandon Rush of the Golden State Warriors, who suffered a torn ACL in his left knee over the weekend.

“I text him and called him and talked to his agent and family friends and everything,” Self said. “I hate to say this, from what we hear it’s a very severe injury. He’s playing so well. He turned the corner to be a 10- or 15-year NBA veteran. He’s only got one year left on his contract right now. I will say this about Brandon ... he’s been there, done it. He will be discouraged I’m sure for a bit. Somehow or another he’ll rally around it like the last time it happened.”

Rush, 27, battled back from a torn ACL in his right knee at the conclusion of the 2006-07 season. He helped KU claim a national title in ‘07-08.

Comments

Michael Luby 1 year, 11 months ago

Damm!! Thats awful about Rush. Major bummer. I hope he gets better and can play again.

Ted Hume 1 year, 11 months ago

terrible break for Rush. With the constant flow of talent clawing its way up the ladder to the NBA, I fear that if it's as serious as mentioned in the article, his NBA career is all but over. Best of luck, though to B Bush for his rehab. Is this number major knee surgery #3 for him?

RJ King 1 year, 11 months ago

In a cruel twist of fate, his first torn ACL likely brought another Championship to KU. If I remember correctly, Brandon was turning pro (but no agent yet?) Upon the injury, he decided to rehab and play another year for Kansas. Voila - 2008!

I liked the college Brandon, but I was a Russ-Rob and D-Block fanatic. I fell in love with Brandon when he joined the Warriors. His team-first attitude, determination, trey shooting, defense, and hustle stood out in The League. The Warriors fan base is rabid, enthusiastic, and has a college flavor. They too fell in love! And so did Mark Jackson, as Brandon started in both games this year.

The timing of this and his contract status really stinks. His injury will likely land the Warriors another lottery pick next Spring. Talk about taking one for the team!

Take care, B-Rush.

jaybate 1 year, 11 months ago

"Monday Fog Lifters"

•Withey has trouble with short guys? Make him play on his knees.

• For a coach who used to say it didn't matter who started, Self is really using starting as a stick with this group.

• I have a feeling The Designer is getting the Mario Chalmers Memorial Toughen Box Treatment. Self is just going to keep picking at him till Perry wants to fight him, the way Mario did finally. It took a year and a half with Mario. Watch out, Bill, Perry is quite a bit bigger than Mario.

• Washburn's motion should give some indication of how much Jeff has improved his skill and endurance at chasing and hedging.

• Will be interesting to see if Self thinks they've made enough progress defensively to start the long grueling pre-conference process of learning to defend without switching. Hunch: he shows some switching and some not to make Ratso prepare for both, but the crucible of guarding without switching--the part where want to is tested--starts now.

• Wouldn't it be sweet if KU won D1 and the 'bods won D2?

• Has any state ever won D1, D2, and an NBA title the same year?

• KY is getting the Tyshawn played a week after a scope, what's a little FX among men treatment.

• For those that still doubt Josh Selby's fury to compete, recall he played with stress reaction and a boot after a week, whereas Evan has taken 6-8 weeks to get back. All injuries are unique, and not knocking Evan, but Josh was a lion.

Eliott Reeder 1 year, 11 months ago

I'm not sure Self will need the toughening box for Perry Ellis. Despite his demeanor, I think Ellis has an innately competitive nature that will be enough to drive him. Self wants more, but I don't think he questions Perry's "toughness". Great article here, BTW:

Ted Hume 1 year, 11 months ago

I know I've said this before, but when I look at Ellis and watch him play, he really reminds my of Shane Battier. Physical but not overpowering, knack for scoring, good movement, not to mention physical resemblance..

AsadZ 1 year, 11 months ago

What a great article on this special kid. He will go down as one of the best from KU.

Steve Gantz 1 year, 11 months ago

I did a little research on your D1 and D2 champions from the same state. If Fred Brown hadn't thrown the pass to Worthy in the 82 championship DC might have had two champions as some college named District of Columbia won D2. That's as close as it's come I think. When I looked at the list I learned something about my wifes alma mater and daughters future alma mater, Wheaton College in Chicagos suburbs. They won the first D2 championship in 57, although they're a D3 school now.

Travis Clementsmith 1 year, 11 months ago

I could be wrong, but didn't Washburn win that title the year Danny Manning and KU won, 1988?

hawkdiek 1 year, 11 months ago

Indeed they did Tommy Meier and the boys won it all that year.

lawyermog 1 year, 11 months ago

Yes, but Washburn was still NAIA, Div 1 at the time. They had not yet moved up to NCAA D-II.

jaybate 1 year, 11 months ago

Kool,

Maybe, but...

Self didn't appear to doubt Mario's toughness by then. Self appeared to be sticking the needle in way deeper than toughness. Self appeared to want to crack him open and let the lion out, show the boy that men operate at a different level of ferocity and hardness. Mario Chalmers, meet the lion inside you.

The Designer may be on the same path.

Iandhi 1 year, 11 months ago

Disclaimer: IlBastardo has... Oh, nevermind.

jaybate 1 year, 11 months ago

illbastardito,

Your hoops commentary to attack posting ratio (HC/ATP) seems kinda low.

:-)

Dan Cook 1 year, 11 months ago

I think the path is similar as I think coach knows who he needs to really have a great season. He needed Mario then. He needs Perry now. I get a kick out of the fact the more highly he thinks of you, the more of his, uh, motivational tactics, you receive.

REHawk 1 year, 11 months ago

Perry Ellis is an extremely bright self motivated and very polished talent. The toughening thing might soon become more of a 2-way street between him and his hardnosed coach.

Curtis Stutz 1 year, 11 months ago

Wonder how much longer 'til we get a redshirt announcement on Zach Peters? Disturbing that there's just no idea on when he'd be able to practice again.

Sounds like KU will have to work harder if they want to score a big blowout of Washburn. One important lesson I hope the 'Hawks pick up from their first 3 matchups is to get out to a quick start and keep on the gas. I think MSU is an opportunity for KU to blow somebody out and could help these guys keep that mentality of not letting a lesser team into the game as the season goes on. First gotta do it to Washburn.

soapisurfriend 1 year, 11 months ago

Isn't it interesting that Self was talking to Peters about reclassifying so he could play on the team last year and now he may not play until 2013?

Curtis Stutz 1 year, 11 months ago

More like depressing, but still could be much better for Zach to spend an extra year at KU rather than in HS.

Brian Skelly 1 year, 11 months ago

Agreed on Peters. Im a little surprised we havent heard more about this. I guess until they have to make a decision -- is it by the first 'official' game? We wont hear much about it.

Curtis Stutz 1 year, 11 months ago

They don't have to decide until they want to play him I don't think. If he doesn't play they can redshirt him as late as they want.

wildjayhawk 1 year, 11 months ago

This could be a real test for KU as the Wildcats looked extremely good with a lot of great players and a deep bench.

Tony Bandle 1 year, 11 months ago

The ICHABODS will ride into Lawrence CRANING their necks to establish that they are neither SLEEPY or HOLLOW but will eventually be DECAPITATED by the superior Jayhawk squad despite putting up a desIRVING effort.

Reuben_J_Cogburn 1 year, 11 months ago

I'm encouraged by Ellis' demeanor. Some might consider it lax, much like Brandon Rush's. But I would much rather have a guy who remains focused and grounded during games, than J.R. Giddeons loosing grip like an idiot every time he makes a three.

I apologize for the J.R. reference. Little obscure I'm aware. But if there's anyone that obviously fits the polar opposite of Perry Ellis, it's someone like the Moonbar Menace.

Iandhi 1 year, 11 months ago

"the Moonbar Menace" that's a good one. That gets me on multiple levels. First, I don't know how menacing it is to get stabbed with a knife and B), from my only one experience at the lunar liquor disco lounge, I can't think of anything menacing about that place.

jhkprd 1 year, 11 months ago

Hi, everyone. I haven't posted for awhile. I moved out of the jayhawk TV range. Does anyone know an internet link that will provide tv coverage like I had for the Emporia State game?

KGphoto 1 year, 11 months ago

Welcome to the world of hit or miss. Usually First Row Sports provides something, but it doesn't always work out. For instance the Baylor game last Saturday just stopped streaming in the second half. Check back here prior to tipoff. We have a great community that comments during the games and there is almost always a link posted at some point. Usually you do have to wait until right before tipoff though.

Reuben_J_Cogburn 1 year, 11 months ago

I don't think the fact it stopped streaming in the second half of the Baylor game is such a bad thing.

We stopped playing; live feed stopped streaming. Cause and effect.

KGphoto 1 year, 11 months ago

Or was it the other way around? I was saying EXACTLY this to my wife during the game. It must've been a Baylor hack who realized we were running on the power of KU's elite nationwide fan base, and cut the feed to kill the mojo.

In fact I'm absolutely certain of it. The only hole in the theory is that there isn't anybody in Waco smart enough to do this. So, perhaps we have a mole from the Longhorn Network. I don't know, but it's worth investigating...

AndOne 1 year, 11 months ago

Too bad it's not on ESPN3. They are listing Transylvania vs. Kentucky for tonight. (They should have played that one on Halloween!)

Did anyone ever hear what happened to ESPN3 for the ESU game?

KGphoto 1 year, 11 months ago

I like Ellis' mellowness. If he produces like it seems he will, it will be a welcome change to the chest pounding. I don't mind that stuff either, but I absolutely hate watching my Nuggets play the Spurs, mostly because Duncan is an unflappable, stat stuffing, MVP collecting, trophy hoarding Champion. He is just so workmanlike. As an opponent it gets under your skin that much more when he beats you, and then acts like it's no big deal.

So, yeah. I'll make that comparison. Ellis is our "Big Fundamental". Thank you Shaq.

Micah Mandy Haase 1 year, 11 months ago

I am ready to see this years team.. I purchased my tickets for the OU game here in Norman.. I am glad the fans travel well in basketball... I was here for the OU-KU football game and there was only about 200 fans here.

Ron Franklin 1 year, 11 months ago

Just looking for a little help here....

I have dish network. I have purchased full court.

I could not get last weeks game.

Does anybody know if this weeks game will be televised?

Cox seems to have it on one of their local channels....

Thanks in advance.

fenix_hawk 1 year, 11 months ago

I'm not sure I spoke with Dish and they said it should be on channel 456 but it doesn't show it on the guide. It is also showing the Friday games playing on Wednesday for some reason.

Tony Bandle 1 year, 11 months ago

Here are the Secrets to viewing Kansas basketball.

1] Go in the backyard and face toward Lawrence, Kansas. 2] Put a hat made of aluminum foil on your head with at least two antenni 3] Repeat 50 times the words " Max Falkenstein". 4] Drink six malt liquors one after another. 5] If it works...fine. If it doesn't work...who cares!!

Jonathan Allison 1 year, 11 months ago

I got the Washburn vs Oklahoma game on cable on Fox Sports in Houston, but Kansas can't get anything more than local coverage for these exhibition games? Someone in the athletics department isn't doing their job!

Jack Wilson 1 year, 11 months ago

For those who mock being able to gain any insight when playing a D-II, here's 3 players to keep an eye on. Just focus on these three players, and the items noted. Record the game. You can rewind if you miss something while focusing on these guys.. If you get an impression, go back a re-watch to double-check yourself.

1. White - watch the angle of his feet when guarding on the wing, whether he's standing straight up, whether he's bent at the waist, or at the knees, whether he gets crossed over, what he does on a cross over dribble, whether he can get to the baseline to cut off penetration, whether he can stop a drive with his chest, how he guards his man when his man doesn't have the ball .. and one of the best generic eye tests of all .. does he look like he's a 1/2 step behind?

2. Tharpe - watch if he makes any penetrating passes, watch if he can feed the post from the wing, watch if he is sure with his passes, watch if he handles pressure;and watch the same things on Tharpe as you were watching on White.

3. Adams - compare and contrast his defense to Tharpe; to White. What are the differences? Then compare all three to Releford. Watch how Adams handles the ball under pressure, in traffic, and whether he's able to pass confidently under pressure or to teammates being closely guarded.

Makes a game vs. Washburn that much more interesting. And maymake converts out of a few of the "it's a meaningless game" folks in the process.

soapisurfriend 1 year, 11 months ago

Chris McCullough, an ultra-talented forward in 2014, has committed to Syracuse. He was a New York guy and always rumored to be a SU lean, but he also was considering the Jayhawks. He's another Brewster kid, which gave me some hope.

jaybate 1 year, 11 months ago

HEM,

PHOF!!

These look-fors should be the start of a Viewing 101 Curriculum.

LLH 1 year, 11 months ago

Feel terrible for Brandon. I'm not a huge NBA fan, I prefer the college game. I do watch the NBA though, primarily to follow former KU players. I thought Brandon was really coming along nicely in the pros too. In other news... YES, Washburn is solid, and in my simple opinion, I agree that they have the ability, depth, and coaching to contend for the D2 title, same can be said for KU in DI as was mentioned. I'm looking forward to another LONG, successful KU BBall season. I really enjoy watching Perry Ellis. Man what a natural feel for the game he appears to have. Excellent foot work, and he plays at a controlled pace, meaningful and with purpose. I have read the concerns about his lack of aggressiveness, I don't know if I agree or not, I could see where that comes from I guess, but to me, he's just very polished and plays smart. Some guys are simply more emotive with their play, and their expressions than others. Believe it or not, you can be under control, yet aggressive at the same time. I couldn't be happier for McElmore. After what he and Traylor had to endure last year, this is going to be a lot of fun for them. Kid's got a nice looking shot and great bounce. Tonight's game was kind of a slug fest, but I'm glad. As JB has mentioned numerous times over the years, Izzo and his brand of "Xtreme Muscle Ball" will be guarding tough and handsy as was Washburn. It was good to have a herky jerky, grinder game, exhibition or not. Real fun starts Friday, cheers!!