Sunday, November 4, 2012

For KU’s Andrew White, ‘III’ part of ‘legacy’

Proud of family heritage, freshman guard honors father, grandfather

Kansas guard Andrew White defends as Emporia State guard Chris Sights looks to pass during the first half, Tuesday, Oct. 30, 2012 at Allen Fieldhouse.

photo

Before Tuesday’s exhibition against Emporia State, Kansas University freshman guard Andrew White had never played in a game with his name on his uniform.

That made it even more significant that he decided to add an extra tribute — a “III” following “White” — just a few weeks before the season began.

“Not everybody can do this, because not everybody is third generation,” said White III, a 6-foot-6, 210-pounder from Chester, Va. “So I thought it was a good opportunity to show off my family. It’s a great feeling to carry my dad and my grandpa’s name.”

White — his full name is Andrew Jackson White III — came up with the idea a couple months ago, contacting KU men’s basketball sports-information director Chris Theisen to see if it would be possible. Theisen passed the idea to assistant athletic director for equipment Larry Hare, who received final approval from KU coach Bill Self.

By the end of that day, White was able to phone his parents, Andrew Jr. and Sheryl, to let them know about the change.

A few weeks later, when White received his uniform, he sent a picture along to his father, a housing developer back in Chester, which is close to Richmond.

“He doesn’t have a whole lot of emotion, but I know he liked it,” White III said. “He said it looked good.”

Indeed, Andrew Jackson White Jr., and Andrew Jackson White Sr., were humbled by what was much more than a fashion statement on a jersey.

“He carries that legacy and is proud of it,” Andrew’s granddad, an 80-year-old retired Baptist pastor, told the Journal-World in a phone interview from his home in Petersburg, Va.

“The way he carries himself and goes about things ... he has an appreciation for the legacy. He accepts it, appreciates it and wants to extend it. He is family-oriented, and our family has been family-oriented. We take great pride in the name and what it means, what it stands for. What he has on his jersey carries that family tradition.”

The name Andrew Jackson White is huge in Petersburg. The football field at Petersburg High is named in honor of Andrew’s granddad, as well as a wing in a children’s home in Chesterfield, Va., and an endowment at Virginia Union University.

“We’ve always tried to teach him to do the right thing, to be considerate of others. This might be an offshoot of that,” said Andrew Jr. “He ran it by me about the time they went to Europe (in August). I said, ‘If that’s what you want to do, whoever you want to be.’ His mom got a kick out of it. We all did in watching the exhibition game on TV the other night.”

White III credits his father — a shooting specialist in his college days at Div. II basketball Morehouse College — for helping him grow as a player. Just last month, when White III returned home to see his family, he shot with his father at a local gym past midnight.

“That’s just the kind of influence he’s had on me to play ball,” White said of his papa. “I think this ‘third’ on my jersey is the least way I can show some respect to my dad.”

White also remains close with his grandfather, who traveled to most of his high school games.

Andrew Sr.’s latest endeavor, White III said, has been searching for KU basketball stories on the Internet.

“I’m glad to have grandfather in my life right now,” White III said. “That’s another reason why it meant a lot to me is because my grandpa is going to witness me with his name on my jersey. I think it’s great.”

White III, who has impressed reporters with his polite demeanor since his arrival to KU last summer, heeds the family mantra.

“Our basic philosophy is, ‘Life is God’s gift to us. What we do with that life is our gift to God,’” the oldest White said. “We believe in that. Whenever we climb, we lift somebody else, too. We are dedicated to helping people. It’s the philosophy of our family.”

By the way, White’s two siblings are: Andrias Jackee White, a 22-year-old magna cum laude graduate of George Mason University, and Andrien Jaire White, 15, the names all related to the family legacy. Andrew Jr.’s sister is named Andrea.

On a humorous note, White III admits the Roman numerals on his back have only added to his No. 3 theme.

“It just so happened I picked (No.) 3, I’m the third, and I shoot three-pointers,” White III said. “I guess there can be some fun in that.”

“He likes to shoot the three-pointer, too, by the way. They (fans) can call him ‘Trey’ or ‘Andrew III,’” joked granddad, who was nicknamed ‘Trees’ in high school because he stood 6-foot-2. Andrew Jr. is 6-4 and KU’s Andrew 6-6. “We’re looking forward to watching him play at Kansas. He wanted to go there to further his development as a person and player. He could have gone to 45 others.”

“We just want him to be responsible to who he is,” Andrew Jr., added, noting the family now consists of all Jayhawk fans.

White, who scored 10 points (2-of-4 from three) and had five rebounds in the exhibition opener vs. ESU, will next take the court versus Washburn in a second and final exhibition game at 7 p.m. Monday in Allen Fieldhouse.

— Assistant sports editor Gary Bedore contributed to this report.

Comments

Benz Junque 1 year, 10 months ago

Let your actions every day pay tribute to your ancestors. Show the world what good parents you had by being a good citizen. When people see you behaving with class, humility and dignity, they will think, "What good parents that young man must have".

And congrats to a fellow "III".

Sincerely, Ben Williamson III, proud grandson of Ben Williamson II, KU Class of 1933.

CharlieHawkIII 1 year, 10 months ago

Hello from Charles Black III, son of Charlie "the hawk" Black , KU all-american 1942-1947. Being the third can at first be burdensome, but eventually comes the pride. Wish Andrew the best in his life with the KU family. From Brad Black, KU grad 1971.

trustyourSelf 1 year, 10 months ago

That must have been a confusing household growing up...all the Andr___ names

Dirk Medema 1 year, 10 months ago

He's already a deadly shooter. Coach Self will take that long frame and turn him into a D-master as well. Trey will earn a lot of money when he gets his name on his next jersey, and help raise a few banners in the process.

Steve Yeakel 1 year, 10 months ago

Welcome White family, we are so blessed to have you as Jayhawks! And great article Gary.

mojayhawk 1 year, 10 months ago

Uh, steveyea, I think it was Jesse who wrote the article, but the rest of your statement is true.

Machawk 1 year, 10 months ago

What a classy, well-grounded family! They definitely are in for the ride of their lives by picking tradition-rich KU basketball. The Jayhawk Nation will be the largest family the White's will ever experience. Andrew III made a great decision to pick KU and will be a great player and representative for the university. We are so fortunate to recruit not only good players but unselfish team players who make us all proud.

hawk316 1 year, 10 months ago

I'm so impressed with this family and what they stand for. Andrew III is a great addition to the KU basketball family. May he enjoy tremendous success in Lawrence throughout his college years.

jaybate 1 year, 10 months ago

Pop's a real estate developer alright. 45 others! :-)

Develop this, pop.

If AW3 does not start getting his butt down and guarding someone, he's going to be transferring to one of those 45.

Sorry, but this is how you have to talk to preacher's kids that become real estate developers and work on their kid's trey shooting till midnight, in order to get pop and son refocused on a development plan that has to include defense.

Father White, we understand Virginia is a great state, that strong men from there forged our country, that Andrew Jackson once came to Washington from out of state and threw the central bankers out.

But your son has come to Kansas--a place formed to keep America from tipping slave, a place where people didn't just talk about freeing people, they followed John Brown and did something about, while every one else was compromising on breaking up families for chattel. And when the robber barons had turned Americans into wage slaves by the 1890s, it was Kansas Populists that organized and lead the charge for regulation on the monopolists, the 8 hour day, the 5 day week, women suffrage, and got enough control of the state government to squeeze the pinch point of rail infrastructure in the state to make it stick. And when the Germans had to have their asses kicked back to Berlin, the leaders in Washington called for a Kansan named Eisenhower to get it done.

The man who invented the game came to Lawrence, KS to give it a home. We take all aspects of the game seriously here, not just shooting.

We believe in attacking on offense and attacking on defense in Kansas.

Your son, a Virginian, could be one of our greatest perimeter players, if he committed to defense.

That would be good for Kansas, it would be good for Virginia, and it would be good for your son.

It is obvious that we need your assistance in turning your son into a razored fanatic on defense, sir.

Are you with us, or against us?

Rock Chalk, sir!

bville_hawk 1 year, 10 months ago

You're way out of line, Jaybate, for calling out a true freshman's defense after 1 exhibition game.

I could have done without all the historical Kansas vs Virginia BS as well (but maybe that's just me).

jhawk613 1 year, 10 months ago

don't worry. it's not just you.

bville,

Way out of line?

Asking a rotation player to play good defense against Emporia State?

Do you have any idea how ridiculous you sound?

DanR 1 year, 10 months ago

Do you have any idea how much of a patronizing ass you sound like? Totally out of line.

DanR,

bville needs patroninzing.

So do you.

People that don't know enough to pour yak urine from a baseball cap need double helpings of patronizing.

Does anyone take you seriously in your life?

Who is it?

I want to tell them to stop immediately. :-)

Certainly anyone that knows enough basketball to fill a thimble would not take you seriously.

bville_hawk 1 year, 10 months ago

jaybate- just one more example of why there are more horses asses in the world than there are horses.

bville,

You need more patronizing.

You know what? I'm the horse. What does that leave you?

:-)

Zstegs 1 year, 10 months ago

He's a frosh he will learn, you're a troll you won't.

David Leathers 1 year, 10 months ago

That's the only statement I don't agree with. Jaybate is NOT a troll. 100% KU committed. Just because he is attacking White III's defense -- even if it is too early -- doesn't make him a troll.

Benz Junque 1 year, 10 months ago

As usual, Jaybate has simply traveled over the top to make his point. You do understand that no one reads your overly-lengthy posts, right? By the middle of your post, your are simply talking to hear yourself talk, amused by your your own perceived wittiness. No one else finds you as clever as you find yourself.

KEITHMILES05 1 year, 10 months ago

Did you bother to watch the game? Obviously not as all the players played defense pretty well. Your "assuming" he is an offensive power only is way off the mark and your going on and on comparing Va. to KU BB is idiotic and means nothing. Not only that but the historical comparison between states is uncalled for. This young man needs our support along with his family and does NOT need to have some sell proclaimed righteous BB nut embarassing us all.

jaybate 1 year, 10 months ago

Yes, Keetie, I watched the game.

Again, how outrageous is it to expect a player Self plans to be in the rotation to be able to guard an Emporia State player?

Keetie, this is a new level of posting ineptness on your part.

David Brown 1 year, 10 months ago

jaybate's real idenity: Cliff Clavin, the postman from "Cheers". Self appointed know-it-all--check. Blow hard--check.

The thrust of this article was about Andrew White's family, his upbringing, and the way he chooses to live his life. Let's focus on that and celebrate that. I'm very proud to have a young man with that character on our Jayhawk team.

Looking forward to what Coach Self and all the players can build with this years team. Rock Chalk!

DCLawHawk 1 year, 10 months ago

Clavin? That's spot on BrownJuan. The barfly of the message boards. Nice. Know-it-all--check. Blow hard--check. Means well but lacks self-awareness--check. Useless trivia/fascinating facts--check, check, check. Jaybate/Cliff: "It's a, uh, little-known fact that, uh, Naismith [higher pitch on this word] only invented basketball because his YMCA had a contract with the Brown Shoe Company." If jaybate is Cliff though, then who is Norm? By the way, I had the honor of meeting John Ratzenberger one time. Great guy. Funny thing though: he's not a beer drinker.

DCLawFop,

Oh, gosh darn it, there's nothing quite as hilariously boorish as a law fop writing confidently, but ineffectually about something he/she doesn't know much about.

Law fops are funny, because they don't know they don't know they write about what they don't know diddledy dip about. Its their not knowing they don't know that makes them both hilarious and easy to skewer.

But all joshing aside (not really, I would never quit joshing you), yours, DCLawFop, is a text book case of an unpersuasive argument, if ever I read one. And that's being scrupulously fair to you, too. :-)

Read the late Gerry Spence, would you, DCLawFop, regardless of what part of DC law you might apparently act like a fop in?

Maybe also do society a favor. Quit being a law fop and work at something more harmless, like being a tour guide on an uninhabited island somewhere without a broadband connection, or cell service. ;-)

Just kidding. Don't go anywhere. You're too fun to poke fun at without you getting it. :-)

ilbastardito,

Good to see your tinyness today. Where ya been?

jaybate 1 year, 10 months ago

And I only mean diminuitive voice here, illbastardito. I'm not referring to anything else.

ilbastardito,

I get it. You went to Camp, right?

Repeat after me...

Forum sliding

consensus cracking

topic dilution

information collection

anger trolling

gaining full control.

Did they say, "Give me ten!" :-)

illbastardito,

Demand your money back from the camp.

Repeat after me...

Forum sliding consensus cracking topic dilution information collection anger trolling gaining full control.

And, again, did they say, "Give me ten!" :-)

BrownJuanito,

You know me. I am always trying to get better at word smithing by learning from fellow board rats like you.

Let me see if I understand how to do this really fresh and original rhetorical approach of yours.

Eg., BrownJuanito's real identity: Dimdar the Talking Turd in the 1973 Sci Fi/horror rotten tomato classic: "Invasion of the Alien Defecants."

Is that about it?

Just having some fun with you here, BrownJuanito, like you were with me.

Turnabout is always fair play, right, BrownJuanito?

Seriously, even an alien from a planet unfamiliar with basketball would recognize this story had multiple thrusts.

So, the question is, BrownJuanito, why can't you?

Allen Shepard 1 year, 10 months ago

The community guidelines clearly state that we do not have to keep to the topic of the article.

I could start a conversation right here about the deadly fungus attacking the cavendish banana. In fact, I just did.

Loosen up, Monk.

DDDHawk 1 year, 10 months ago

jaybate- your posting was embarrassing to read. Get off your high horse. Andrew White III sounds like a great kid that we are fortunate to have on our team. And welcome to the Jayhawk family to all three generations of Andrew White! We are glad to have you!

jaybate 1 year, 10 months ago

Deal with the embarrassment. Self says he is going to be a rotation player. If so, he needs to play credible defense against D2 players, or have no prayer against D1 players.

Next.

You're really pathetic.

You're embarassed for an alias on a board?

Whew. Talk about a vaporized ego. Who feeds you? Your mother?

Talk hoops.

Next.

jayhawk1866 1 year, 10 months ago

Jaybate,

That was hilarious. I am with you, sir!!!

jaybate 1 year, 10 months ago

Thx. But watch out for illbastardito. He/she seems very irritable and insecure today. :-)

Allen Shepard 1 year, 10 months ago

Not that you need the support to know the justification inherent in a post well worded and aimed true, Jaybate, but I found this to be one of your most stirring posts to date, of which I've read many.

rjinsa 1 year, 10 months ago

Jaybate, ever freshman that comes in is a work in progress on defense. They have to acclimate to Bill Self style of play. However, you are a complete babbling moron. Get a girlfriend or a job so we don't have to read your ridicoulous babbbling. Because evidently you have ALOT time on your hands.

okiedave 1 year, 10 months ago

Great article. Now whenever I see White one the floor, I will visualize his father, mother and grandfather watching and cheering.

Steve Reigle 1 year, 10 months ago

Welcome to the entire White family! Andrew III made a good choice and we are proud to have a quality person like him at the University of Kansas. It appears this family did a great job raising a fine young man.

John Strayer 1 year, 10 months ago

I just wish posters on this board would cut a little slack for all freshman. Goog grief Jaybate...his first game at this level. Freshmen aren't going to come into college playing D like All Americans. It takes time and work. Back off dude.

Mike Bratisax 1 year, 10 months ago

Yup..hard to make conclusions based on one performance, esp. when playing at AFH for the 1st time.

Allen Shepard 1 year, 10 months ago

Maybe the staff should just skip writing articles because it's the first game. Maybe we shouldn't allow a freshman's name to appear in print until conference season.

Slippery slope ridiculousness.

kureader 1 year, 10 months ago

Agreed, though I'm not sure Andrew owes anyone apologies for his performance. He played only 15 minutes and scored 10 points. He hit 50% of his shots and was 2 for 4 from three. He also grabbed more defensive rebounds (5) than any other Jayhawk except Withey, who also got 5 rebounds, but played more minutes. I'll take that kind of performance from a freshman who's playing his first game in Allen Fieldhouse!

soapisurfriend 1 year, 10 months ago

Now look out for the younger White. Andrien will be a fine PG in 2015 and is a Phenom150 this year. His body is developing like his older brother's and he has a tight handle to go along with that White jump shot.

gdkadjayhawk 1 year, 10 months ago

OK, Andrew, you're now officially on my "watch list" for favorite Jayhawk!

REHawk 1 year, 10 months ago

Andrew, I had become comfortable referring to you as AW3, but could swing toward Trey if you would prefer. I enjoyed reading earlier press reports regarding your daily regimen of shooting. Jaybate offers good advice to you and your pop. Now is the time to think DEFENSE. The quickest path for a 6'6" shooter to get on the floor in the Bill Self System is to strive and succeed as a better than average defender. That might call forth a stainless steel mindset for an offensive specialist...but will be well worth the investment. Obviously, you are the product of strong, successful family heritage. You have certainly signed on with the right hoops program, one in which you will eventually shine and luxuriate in an extended family atmosphere. Here's wishing for you the very best of good fortune in your years as a Jayhawk. That numeral on your uniform is something very special. I hope to see it on the court soon, and often. Rock Chalk!

rick cowley 1 year, 10 months ago

That sounds like a great kid from a great family.

REHawk 1 year, 10 months ago

On a merrier note, Bill Self, when he sees the above photo, will probably take Andrew aside to demand, "What's this grin about, son? You are not to grin until you strip the ball from that player! Understand?"

jaybate 1 year, 10 months ago

Actually, the PHOF was meant for this post. :-)

dylans 1 year, 10 months ago

Nice article on Perry Ellis in the Star today.

I hope one of his current goals is to win a National Championship.

REHawk 1 year, 10 months ago

A dandy article. Thanks for the tip. This is one of the reasons I peruse these posts: to read fan opinions and insight, and to discover links to related articles.

nostradavid 1 year, 10 months ago

Thanks for the link. Good article about his family. Perry won't leave KU until the goal of National Champion is achieved. Of this you can rest assured.

Rustin Dodd also covers KU for the Wichita Eagle. Here's the same article with 4 pictures, including one with his folks. There's no poker face when he's joking with Ben. http://www.kansas.com/2012/11/03/2555101/ku-men-maturing-of-ellis-hits.html

DCLawHawk 1 year, 10 months ago

“Our basic philosophy is, ‘Life is God’s gift to us. What we do with that life is our gift to God,’” the oldest White said. Words to live by, Rev. White! I hope your grandson follows in the great tradition of Kansas basketball players like Wayne Simien, using his God-given talents on the basketball court and giving his all to his Lord and fellow man off the basketball court. Welcome to the Jayhawk family, AW3!

Clarence Haynes 1 year, 10 months ago

Jaybate....Bill Self is the Coach, not you! This is a quality young man. Let Bill Self develop him!

Mike Bratisax 1 year, 10 months ago

All freshmen need to learn to play Div 1 defense. In high school, if you could score you were a star. I bet HCBS spends twice as much time getting freshmen to play defense than any other part of their game.

jaybate 1 year, 10 months ago

First, I can guaran-dang-ty you that Bill Self does not pay attention to what I write, nor do I have any capacity to interfere with him developing players. To even hint at such, is an insult to Bill Self. Stop yourselves!

Second, it is bogus that freshmen cannot guard.

Tyshawn could play defense from the beginning.

Chalmers could guard from the beginning.

Brandon Rush could guard from the beginning.

Marcus could guard well enough to start on a Sweet 16 team form the beginning.

Rotation players have to be able to at least guard on ball in Self ball. Its that simple.

Third, Self has said AW3 is going to be a rotation player this year, not next, therefore, he has to guard NOW!.

I am not saying he can't do this, or won't get better as the season goes along.

I am not saying Self can't develop him.

To suggest either would be an insult to him and Self. Again, stop yourselves.

Fourth, I am saying he has has to guard now to a higher minimum standard than what he showed vs. ESU, or he can't be a rotation player for long without a ton of improvement and in a very short time.

Fifth, what I am also saying is that his father seems already to be saber rattling about 45 other teams wanting his son in the wake of his son getting modest minutes apparently because of his poor defense.

Let's get real here.

Self has Brannen Greene and Wayne Selden coming in amd BenMac likely coming back. And it is rumored that Wiggins is a possibility. Each of these guys are probably higher ranked than AW3. Mr. White2's antennae are probably up about this.

If AW3 learns to guard, he has star written all over him and a huge NBA contract very shortly. A trey gun like AW3's at his size is an every night MUA, if he can guard.

It is vital that AW3 and his dad understand learning to guard will immunize him to Greene, Selden and Wiggin arriving and eliminate any need to think about a transfer for minutes.

Next.

Dan Cook 1 year, 10 months ago

I've read your stuff silently for a long time. Some of your previous posts on this subject struck me as if someone stole your keyboard. At least this one attempted to explain your thought process. Still, maybe a bit of chillin' is justified?

There are a couple of flaws, however, in your response.

It is not bogus that freshmen do not understand what Coach Self wants as a defender. They are generally not instinctive, he makes them a bit paralyzed as they try to do the right thing. All that takes work, development. Trust me, very few KU freshmen have ever been considered quality defenders by coach Self. And certainly not Mario Chalmers (as a FR) who quite possibly still holds the all-time KU record for most attempts to reach around an opponent who has just blown by him! I am also certain your line about Marcus being capable would get a hearty chuckle out of Coach.

IMO, you are overreacting to one exhibition game, but your overall points are solid. AW3 will need to improve his defense, as will BMac, Naadir, Rio, Jamari, Perry and any other freshman who hits the floor this season, if we are to be a serious Elite 8 contender.

Lastly, if you're worrried about AW3's defense this early in the season, I can't wait to read what you write about Brannen's this time next year. Get prepared JBate, you will not be impressed.

juju,

Solid counter. Thx for taking the time to think it through and responding with conviction. That's all I ask of board rats responding.

Guys pencilled in as rotation players that can't guard guys on Emporia State, Fort Hays State, etc., always give me the willies.

Over the years failure of a freshman to guard in the two exhibition games has become something of a miner's canary for me regarding players that will have trouble staying on the floor come regular season, especially the last half.

If Self is not saying the freshman will be a rotation player, then I don't dwell on a freshman's defensive ineptness in the exhibition games. They are expected to be ready in a year or two. Nothing to remark up.

But when we are going to be depending on them in the rotation and they can't guard D2 players?

I note it.

Landen Lucas can't guard his own shadow right now without fouling. But that's okay, because he is not projected to be a rotation player. It is a shame that Landen's defense is not there yet, because his offensive game and rebounding could really help this team. Landen is going to be an exceptional player one or two seasons from now. And his defensive weakness is not a significant issue, because Self does not pencil him into the rotation.

But AW3's failure to be able to guard Emporia State perimeter players really surprised me.

It did not look like there were any extenuating circumstances, but maybe there were.

Also, it could be that AW3 is one of those long guys that looks bad against small, scrappy players.

Maybe he will look very comfortable defensively against other guys his size.

But all I can do is tell you that based on my anecdotal historical recall, guys that can't guard D2 guys in the exhibition games, rarely become rotation players capable of playing defense in the second half of the season.

AW3 is such a fabulous looking player and possesses such a fine shooting touch that one dreams of him being able to play defense this season, because we need his trey gun in a big way.

But wow, getting smoked by Emporia State players?

Regarding Brannen Greene, you really know how to spoil my day! :-)

Seriously, this is exactly why I am jumping on AW3 immediately about defense.

After one look at his stroke, I view AW3 as a must have player next season...if he can defend.

Selden, Greene and Wiggins are all likely to have some trouble converting to D1 speeds on defense, though Selden has the kind of strength and weight that might help him keep up.

We need for AW3 to turn into a razor edged fanatic on defense by next season, and to be solid this season. When EJ and Travis shove off, the defense is going to fall to BMac and White, not apparently on Greene, Selden, or Wiggins.

jaybate 1 year, 10 months ago

And a significant risk here seems to be that papa White will grow pissy about PT (kind of Carl Henry lite), if AW3 doesn't get up to defensive speed quickly, and about that incoming talent, and take his son somewhere else; instead of exhorting him to become the defensive stud he could become.

Developers understand bargaining better than most.

Self is about to learn this, if he doesn't already know it.

I am all about pre-empting this issue before it becomes a problem.

The solution is everyone getting on the same page about AW3's defense now!

With AW3 playing sound defense, Greene, Selden and Wiggins are no threat to AW3.

And Greene, Selden and Wiggins is likely what the bargaining will default to if the issue does not resolve quickly and for the best.

I doubt that any of the incoming guys has a trey gun as awesome as AW3's.

If he can guard, AW3 is that most desirable of commodities in D1 and in Sternville, the 6-6 three-dagger at the two.

Gotta have this guy.

Can't rely on those freshman for defense next season. The probability is they will come in just like AW3, or as you suggest, worse.

But there is no way through, or around this sticky wicket.

Rotation players have to be able to GUARD their D1 man.

And, juju, it is not significant to say that Self is never satisfied with his freshman defenders. Self is never really satisfied with any defenders, even his best ones.

DanR 1 year, 10 months ago

Man. Please stop with the papa crap. It's offensive and comes across as racist.

DanR,

You've got to stop nursing.

Throw away the baby bottle.

Its unsightly for an alias.

Talk hoops.

Next.

DanR 1 year, 10 months ago

Sorry, dude. You're the one that sh*t the bed.

jaybate 1 year, 10 months ago

But to play as a freshman means you can guard your position adequately. It does not mean you can offer great help. It does not mean you can lock down an All-American. It means only the really tough opponents blow by, and then you have the turn and burn speed necessary to recover. It means you have just enough skill to turn the guys into the paint, and not have to use the baseline as a double team defender as in Roy-style defense. Self Defense is hard for freshman, because most high schools teach baseline help defense; i.e., the player gets to cheat paint side and channel his man to baseline where the baseline becomes a sixth defender. Not in Self Defense. In Self defense, using base line that way wrecks everything. Funnel the ball to the bigs inside, don't force the bigs to run to baseline to back you up.

I think it is fair to say (without knocking him) that Conner Teahan set the lower limit for what can be tolerated defensively from a trey gunner to get his defense stretching trey in the game.

Conner, after 5 years of work, guarded the D2 players okay last season.

This is the crux of the problem facing Self and AW3.

They don't have years to wait and AW3 did not guard the D2 players okay.

And Anrio could guard the D2 players out of the chute.

So: I hope I am overreacting to one bad defensive performance in an exhibition game against D2 players from William Allen Whiteville.

I hope I am reading too much into what Papa White said about the 45 other schools after the scant PT.

But as I said near the top, guys that can't guard their own men in D2 exhibition games give me the willies.

Finally, don't worry about someone seeming to steal my keyboard on this. Almost all your posts seem like black boxes to me. Not putting you down, just saying you've got to get waaaaay better at making yourself understood. Capice? :-)

oldalum 1 year, 10 months ago

I didn't see anything about playing time in any of his quotes, and certainly nothig to justify comparing him to Carl Henry. And when he said "45 other schools" he was talking about how his son had chosen Kansas over a lot of others because he thought Kansas was the best place to become a better person and player. I don't know what set you off, but you seemed to be accusing him of threatening to take his son away because he didn't play more minutes. You really attacked both father and son for no reason. I wouldn't have thought it of you.

Mike Bratisax 1 year, 10 months ago

Put the saber rattling aside..it seems the entire family is happy w/Kansas and his father was bragging, not a veiled threat. White will be in the rotation this year and a starter next year. I'm sure HCBS sees White as a 4 year player and his defense will improve.

6-foot-6 players who can hit the 3 will find plenty of minutes on the court and I doubt he fears who is staying or who is coming in. If that was the case, he would have chosen one of those other schools..not Kansas. As long as he has a solid work ethic, he will be a future star.

No one game, especially his first at AFH, will define his defensive ability. I'm sure Self has already addressed these issues without our input.

NDJ 1 year, 10 months ago

The next step is to play like Jo Jo White I

coloradojayhawk 1 year, 10 months ago

It would have been nice to have a photo that SHOWS the name on the uniform, doncha think? Even if it's not a game situation, that was a major point of the story and those of us without access to the games can't have seen this for ourselves. Just sayin...

JayHok 1 year, 10 months ago

Love this family's work ethic and character! A perfect fit for Coach Self.

Go White III !

nostradavid 1 year, 10 months ago

If I was a freshman playing basketball at KU, I'd be smiling all the time. I love Elijah's smile. You just can't hide it when you're having fun. I want Andrew Jackson White III to have all the fun he can, all the way to April.

kufaninmo 1 year, 10 months ago

that picture is awesome, you can tell White is having the time of his life!

AverageCitizen 1 year, 10 months ago

I see why AW3 is such a perfect fit for KU. History and legacy. He has it, we have it. Drew may not see just how deep that attachment to KU goes until many years down the road but he and his family will always be part of Jayhawk nation now. It is a pleasure to have such a fine young man representing our university.

As far as defense and AW3 goes, part of my enjoyment of being a KU fan and alum is seeing the development of our players from their freshman year to later years. It's like watching my children grow! He's got all the tools, including character and willingness to work hard, to make it big. Heres to a great season. RCJH

REHawk 1 year, 10 months ago

Well, as this Sunday winds down, I must say that we have shared some interesting, if sometimes contentious posts regarding the human interest article, other posters' comments, and Andrew's play, specifically. Let it be iknown by all readers of this site, esp. fond and loving family members of players, that every word uttered regarding Jayhawk basketball will probably be parsed and subjected to minute examination. Gotta hope that no one drifts away in too much of a snit at having felt offended. Every single utterance of coaches, family members, players, fans, anyone connected to our sport is up for such examination and interpretation. Terrific differences of opinion often are the rule of the day. Lots of very intense, very caring contributors to this site.

LLH 1 year, 10 months ago

I have viewed this webpage in silence for a decade now. Mostly I like to read the articles as a lifelong Kansan and KU fan, it's good insider stuff. However, I've often noticed the negative tone that many fans feel necessary to bring here. Look, I get it. Your a fan, short for FANATIC. You love "YOUR" KU Jayhawks just like I love "MY" KU Jayhawks. I find it funny though that there are so many "experts" on here. I do thoroughly enjoy reading comments from fans, and due to the internet tough guy schtick and bravado that so many display nowadays, I've chosen to remain silent up until today. I'm no pro, but as a former collegiate basketball player, I am shocked at how many fans, know more than Coach Self, and are better players than the Division 1 guys we get (last I checked, KU is an elite program, I'd venture to say that few to none of you posting have competed at their level, and that includes me). Far be it from me to restrict your Freedom of Speech, nor will I try. Seriously though, at times I wonder how many "true" fans really post. I'm not trying to judge anyone's loyalty, or say that you have to buy EVERYTHING Self does, or every guy KU recruits, but for the love of God, if you LOVE KU BBALL, maybe celebrate it a little more. You may hear from me again, you may not, but some of the dialogue I've seen on here is flat out uncalled for. Let's keep in mind, these are "kids". Kids make mistakes. Kids fail to play defense sometimes, or knock down open shots, or convert every dunk they attempt. I understand, you sweated it out all those days in the summer with them right? You've moved away from your family and sacrificed things so you could be an elite player at the D1 level right? So that makes you an authority on ALL things basketball related right? Opinions are fine and that's a small part of what makes America great, however, bashing on your fellow man, especially one that represents the University or State that you love is NOT a virtuous quality. If you bag on a kid long enough, that mistake he made in the game will go away right? The L in the loss column will magically convert to a W due to your personal hatefest on the kid won't it? Do as you wish, say what you like. I just wish you all were famous or mildly famous like the KU staff and players. So the media could print stories about your every move and let all the schmucks out in cyber land critique your entire life. Sum up your character in a post, even though they've never even flippin met you. Show some class, be a KU fan. Back "YOUR" favorite team, with class, just a suggestion from a middle aged dude on a rant. Take it or leave it. I don't care, but please, please, stop claiming to be Superfan one day, and trashing the kids who play the next. You want consistency from the staff and players? How about some consistency from you as a fan?

jaybate 1 year, 10 months ago

LLH...Nov.4, 2012 start date.

Whoooo Weeeeee, I love the serial aliasing.

Come on, virtual dope.

AW3 played poor defense against Emporia State.

You already said more than I did.

Welcome back from camp.

Repeat after me...

Forum sliding

consensus cracking

topic dilution

information collection

anger trolling

gaining full control.

Serial aliasing...its spam-tastic!!!

Allen Shepard 1 year, 10 months ago

I believe the age of majority in this country is 18.

JayhawkRock78 1 year, 9 months ago

LLH, Excellent comments. See you at the K-Club.

DanR 1 year, 10 months ago

Great story, Jesse. I wondered, like many, about the III. The Whites sound like an impressive family and the Jayhawks are lucky to get such a great kid here. "Whenever we climb, we lift somebody else, too." Love that.

thedotte 1 year, 10 months ago

LLH; thank you!!! You are right on in your response.

Jaybate, I am ashamed of you!!!!

To the White Family I and I think I speak for most Jayhawk fans I apologize for the insensitive remakes of one whom claims to be part of the greatest college basketball fan base in America.

Jaybate, we have the BEST coach in the game coaching our team, and I'm sure he would tell you that what you have remarked here is totally uncalled for and out of place. Who the hell are you to analogize the defensive desire of a highly recruited freshmen that the BEST coach in the game brought into his program?

White family we are very happy to have AW III as part of our family and I again apologize for the ignorant remarks of one whom claims to be one of us. I look forward to watching your son continue to grow into an outstanding young man.

Rock Chalk Jayhawk!!!

thedotte,

I love it. Finally, we're getting to some serious serial aliasing. A November 4, 2012 start date. Way to bring it.

Repeat after me...

Talk hoops.

Next.

Jason Keller 1 year, 10 months ago

Jaybate is a great american hero.

LOL!

kellerman411 is a great american hero.

jaybate 1 year, 10 months ago

Here's what I really love.

KU gets pasted by Baylor in football.

And the serial aliases come out like cicadas on the basketball page.

Come on, serial aliases, set the macro key to hoops.

Oh, and remember.

Stay behind Weiss for Five!

Macros, or no macros, a turnaround takes a full five years!!!!!

No buyouts!!!!

Save the buyout money.

Charlie will turn this thing around.

Weiss for the Full Five.

Rock Chalk!!!

REHawk 1 year, 10 months ago

To the jaybate bashers, I will say this. You have been lured from your rat holes by a genius. Few of you ever write anything very hoops pertinent or meaningfully positive on this site.

Allen Shepard 1 year, 10 months ago

I sincerely hope that the jaybate taunters represent the serial aliasing of a small few... because if not, I must seriously mourn the collective intelligence of the human race.

I've been using forums, irc, and article comments hours a day for the last two decades, and no one else, not once, has added nearly so much novel content to any community I have been a part of.

Thank god that the idiocy seems to inspire rather than deflate him. Honestly, the ljworld should fire Keegs and hire him. If you think otherwise... well, take heart in knowing that I'm impressed you can read at all.

bville_hawk 1 year, 10 months ago

I've gotta admit I like the Jaybate is Cliff Claven analysis: pompous arrogant long-winded blowhard middle aged postman still living with and dominated by his mother. It's probably closer to the truth than he cares to admit...

UncleMiltyN 1 year, 10 months ago

Talk about much ado about nothing on the board today...

I'm going to cop out and say I'm just glad it's basketball season.

RockChalk710 1 year, 10 months ago

"nicknamed trees in high school" For being tall they said... Must be an ent

kureader 1 year, 10 months ago

To Andrew III, if you're reading: By now you and your family have probably read the great article written about you by Jesse Newell. For those of us who don't know you very well yet, it was fun to learn more about you and your family.
If you read this post, you probably read the other ones. Please know that for every self-rightous bonehead who cricitizes you or shows disrespect to you and your family, there are thousands of us who respect and admire your abilities and accomplishments along with those of the other student/athletes at KU.
I'm glad you chose to be Jayhawk and hope you have a great experience at KU! Rock Chalk, and take care of the Icabods tomorrow!

Ethan Berger 1 year, 10 months ago

I have never seen 90% of post based on one poster. Very impressive Jaybate, very impressive.

odc213 1 year, 10 months ago

I'm kinda sick of JayBate.... Seems many are... He blathers on.... I scrolled down thru so many of his grandma ramblings, just to say give it a rest....9 likes already on the 'lighten up' comment from Bville_Hawk

all this time on your hands Jaybate..... working your fingers to the bone to chicken pluck out your comments...... just for me to poop on

Curtis Stutz 1 year, 10 months ago

I always kind of saw the Jr. title as kind of an arrogant thing, naming your child after yourself (George Foreman taking the cake). Guess I never really looked at it from the other side, that maybe it's a humble thing to want to carry that suffix around with you. Either way, happy for AW3 and his family, hope they enjoy watching him play some great ball at KU.

kranny 1 year, 10 months ago

Jaybate, I typically read your posts and view them as poignant but this was a little over the top. I think many feel that you could've made your point without being offensive. Not sure of the need to reference to "talking to preachers kids who become real estate developers who practice shooting treys with his son til midnight and apologizing before writing the rest of the sentence. The defense will develop. No need to chastise White's dad for developing his son's stroke. Probably not a whole lot of one on one partners available at that time of night anyway to work on defense.

HawksWin 1 year, 10 months ago

I don't know why everybody is bent out of shape - Jaybate was making an excellent observation. I am excited for AW3 and what he brings to KU. That said, unless he gets the D down, his playing time will be limited with a talented 2013 class coming in. AW3 has 1 season to learn, develop, execute & showcase his D. If he doesn't, then AW3's proud dad (as should be of his son) won't like it because of limited PT - and no parents would. So if there were 45 other top colleges that wanted him, perhaps AW3 should be able to play a little D against D2 players even during an exhibition game. Is this an unreasonable expectation? No. Instead, AW3's D was inferior to that of Emporia State players. If AW3 knew/learn & execute D asap, we'd have one more reason to set the bar high for March & perhaps a chance for NC. What is wrong with this notion? Nothing. Does Kansas have high expectation including freshmen? Of course. Self even said so. Kansas expect to win no matter who is on the team! I am guilty of that. And I'm certain Jaybate wants W for all KU games. Don't simply reject or negate one's analysis or observation without adding value for readers. In short, "I don't like your stupid observation" is an emotional response, and it does not serve Kansas basketball junkies on this board. Some of the board rats still have their mommy's milk in their brain. Critical thinking for better basketball outcome & experience is always welcomed by this KU fan.

Ron Prichard 1 year, 10 months ago

You are right in saying Jaybate made an excellent observation...as it pertains to playing defense. However, he did so in an extremely poor fashion. First, he assumes because of an article that mentions shooting baskets with his dad past midnight that neither AWIII or AWJr. have spent any time working on defense. Then he gets into Kansas being the tipping point for slavery in the US and asks AWJr. if he is "with us, or against us." I understand this was not his intention, but when I read the post I felt it was borderline racist.

I have agreed with Jaybate and disagreed with him. I have complimented him and chastised him. I have had discussions with him that were extremely intelligent. This post, however, was not one of his better ones, and I felt it was uncalled for. Following the initial post, Jaybate simply devolved into name calling. I get the frustration when getting pounded by fellow anonymous posters, but not everyone who has a differing opinion is a mindless, serial-alias troll.

I've said it befoe and I will say it again: You are better than this, Jaybate. Admit the post was in poor taste, you made a mistake in judgment or at least in the actual product, and move on. It happens to all of us, and it's easy to appreciate someone that shows humility every once and a while.

Jack Jones 1 year, 10 months ago

'Bate "admit....you made a mistake". Never happen! Loves seeing his/her "name" on this board far too much.

Alex Thiessen 1 year, 10 months ago

It seems like just having his name and then the number 3 on his jersey would have been more subtle than the number and the Roman numeral.

HawkKlaw 1 year, 10 months ago

I don't think he's going for "subtle." I think he wants the world to know that he's proud to be the third generation Andrew White to come from Virginia.

And that he can drain the three, son!

Zstegs 1 year, 10 months ago

Seems like between him and Ellis we may have the most level-headed recruits we've had in a while. These are dynasty building blocks right here.

HawkKlaw 1 year, 10 months ago

A third generation, no. 3 wearing three-point sharpshooter.

Yeah, I guess I could get used to that.