Sunday, November 4, 2012

For KU’s Andrew White, ‘III’ part of ‘legacy’

Proud of family heritage, freshman guard honors father, grandfather

Kansas guard Andrew White defends as Emporia State guard Chris Sights looks to pass during the first half, Tuesday, Oct. 30, 2012 at Allen Fieldhouse.

photo

Before Tuesday’s exhibition against Emporia State, Kansas University freshman guard Andrew White had never played in a game with his name on his uniform.

That made it even more significant that he decided to add an extra tribute — a “III” following “White” — just a few weeks before the season began.

“Not everybody can do this, because not everybody is third generation,” said White III, a 6-foot-6, 210-pounder from Chester, Va. “So I thought it was a good opportunity to show off my family. It’s a great feeling to carry my dad and my grandpa’s name.”

White — his full name is Andrew Jackson White III — came up with the idea a couple months ago, contacting KU men’s basketball sports-information director Chris Theisen to see if it would be possible. Theisen passed the idea to assistant athletic director for equipment Larry Hare, who received final approval from KU coach Bill Self.

By the end of that day, White was able to phone his parents, Andrew Jr. and Sheryl, to let them know about the change.

A few weeks later, when White received his uniform, he sent a picture along to his father, a housing developer back in Chester, which is close to Richmond.

“He doesn’t have a whole lot of emotion, but I know he liked it,” White III said. “He said it looked good.”

Indeed, Andrew Jackson White Jr., and Andrew Jackson White Sr., were humbled by what was much more than a fashion statement on a jersey.

“He carries that legacy and is proud of it,” Andrew’s granddad, an 80-year-old retired Baptist pastor, told the Journal-World in a phone interview from his home in Petersburg, Va.

“The way he carries himself and goes about things ... he has an appreciation for the legacy. He accepts it, appreciates it and wants to extend it. He is family-oriented, and our family has been family-oriented. We take great pride in the name and what it means, what it stands for. What he has on his jersey carries that family tradition.”

The name Andrew Jackson White is huge in Petersburg. The football field at Petersburg High is named in honor of Andrew’s granddad, as well as a wing in a children’s home in Chesterfield, Va., and an endowment at Virginia Union University.

“We’ve always tried to teach him to do the right thing, to be considerate of others. This might be an offshoot of that,” said Andrew Jr. “He ran it by me about the time they went to Europe (in August). I said, ‘If that’s what you want to do, whoever you want to be.’ His mom got a kick out of it. We all did in watching the exhibition game on TV the other night.”

White III credits his father — a shooting specialist in his college days at Div. II basketball Morehouse College — for helping him grow as a player. Just last month, when White III returned home to see his family, he shot with his father at a local gym past midnight.

“That’s just the kind of influence he’s had on me to play ball,” White said of his papa. “I think this ‘third’ on my jersey is the least way I can show some respect to my dad.”

White also remains close with his grandfather, who traveled to most of his high school games.

Andrew Sr.’s latest endeavor, White III said, has been searching for KU basketball stories on the Internet.

“I’m glad to have grandfather in my life right now,” White III said. “That’s another reason why it meant a lot to me is because my grandpa is going to witness me with his name on my jersey. I think it’s great.”

White III, who has impressed reporters with his polite demeanor since his arrival to KU last summer, heeds the family mantra.

“Our basic philosophy is, ‘Life is God’s gift to us. What we do with that life is our gift to God,’” the oldest White said. “We believe in that. Whenever we climb, we lift somebody else, too. We are dedicated to helping people. It’s the philosophy of our family.”

By the way, White’s two siblings are: Andrias Jackee White, a 22-year-old magna cum laude graduate of George Mason University, and Andrien Jaire White, 15, the names all related to the family legacy. Andrew Jr.’s sister is named Andrea.

On a humorous note, White III admits the Roman numerals on his back have only added to his No. 3 theme.

“It just so happened I picked (No.) 3, I’m the third, and I shoot three-pointers,” White III said. “I guess there can be some fun in that.”

“He likes to shoot the three-pointer, too, by the way. They (fans) can call him ‘Trey’ or ‘Andrew III,’” joked granddad, who was nicknamed ‘Trees’ in high school because he stood 6-foot-2. Andrew Jr. is 6-4 and KU’s Andrew 6-6. “We’re looking forward to watching him play at Kansas. He wanted to go there to further his development as a person and player. He could have gone to 45 others.”

“We just want him to be responsible to who he is,” Andrew Jr., added, noting the family now consists of all Jayhawk fans.

White, who scored 10 points (2-of-4 from three) and had five rebounds in the exhibition opener vs. ESU, will next take the court versus Washburn in a second and final exhibition game at 7 p.m. Monday in Allen Fieldhouse.

— Assistant sports editor Gary Bedore contributed to this report.

Comments

HawkKlaw 1 year, 5 months ago

A third generation, no. 3 wearing three-point sharpshooter.

Yeah, I guess I could get used to that.

Zstegs 1 year, 5 months ago

Seems like between him and Ellis we may have the most level-headed recruits we've had in a while. These are dynasty building blocks right here.

Alex Thiessen 1 year, 5 months ago

It seems like just having his name and then the number 3 on his jersey would have been more subtle than the number and the Roman numeral.

HawksWin 1 year, 5 months ago

I don't know why everybody is bent out of shape - Jaybate was making an excellent observation. I am excited for AW3 and what he brings to KU. That said, unless he gets the D down, his playing time will be limited with a talented 2013 class coming in. AW3 has 1 season to learn, develop, execute & showcase his D. If he doesn't, then AW3's proud dad (as should be of his son) won't like it because of limited PT - and no parents would. So if there were 45 other top colleges that wanted him, perhaps AW3 should be able to play a little D against D2 players even during an exhibition game. Is this an unreasonable expectation? No. Instead, AW3's D was inferior to that of Emporia State players. If AW3 knew/learn & execute D asap, we'd have one more reason to set the bar high for March & perhaps a chance for NC. What is wrong with this notion? Nothing. Does Kansas have high expectation including freshmen? Of course. Self even said so. Kansas expect to win no matter who is on the team! I am guilty of that. And I'm certain Jaybate wants W for all KU games. Don't simply reject or negate one's analysis or observation without adding value for readers. In short, "I don't like your stupid observation" is an emotional response, and it does not serve Kansas basketball junkies on this board. Some of the board rats still have their mommy's milk in their brain. Critical thinking for better basketball outcome & experience is always welcomed by this KU fan.

kranny 1 year, 5 months ago

Jaybate, I typically read your posts and view them as poignant but this was a little over the top. I think many feel that you could've made your point without being offensive. Not sure of the need to reference to "talking to preachers kids who become real estate developers who practice shooting treys with his son til midnight and apologizing before writing the rest of the sentence. The defense will develop. No need to chastise White's dad for developing his son's stroke. Probably not a whole lot of one on one partners available at that time of night anyway to work on defense.

phogphan2000 1 year, 5 months ago

I always kind of saw the Jr. title as kind of an arrogant thing, naming your child after yourself (George Foreman taking the cake). Guess I never really looked at it from the other side, that maybe it's a humble thing to want to carry that suffix around with you. Either way, happy for AW3 and his family, hope they enjoy watching him play some great ball at KU.

odc213 1 year, 5 months ago

I'm kinda sick of JayBate.... Seems many are... He blathers on.... I scrolled down thru so many of his grandma ramblings, just to say give it a rest....9 likes already on the 'lighten up' comment from Bville_Hawk

all this time on your hands Jaybate..... working your fingers to the bone to chicken pluck out your comments...... just for me to poop on

Ralster Jayhawk 1 year, 5 months ago

Here's a big pix view: for all of us "spectators" on this site, I'm sure I dont have to remind anybody that how all this goes is squarely in the hands of Bill Self + Andrew White III. (And every other KU player's hands). Im not worried. All we can do is watch and evaluate. So gather a bigger body of data which to judge. For example, I was stoked silly watching true lock-up, RussRob-level defense out of RioAdams for a few minutes...but again, adequate sample size needed...lets see how the non-con, then conf, then post season(s) pan out...Just like judging the entire talent-gap season Weis is having...way, way too soon to judge...

Ethan Berger 1 year, 5 months ago

I have never seen 90% of post based on one poster. Very impressive Jaybate, very impressive.

kureader 1 year, 5 months ago

To Andrew III, if you're reading: By now you and your family have probably read the great article written about you by Jesse Newell. For those of us who don't know you very well yet, it was fun to learn more about you and your family.
If you read this post, you probably read the other ones. Please know that for every self-rightous bonehead who cricitizes you or shows disrespect to you and your family, there are thousands of us who respect and admire your abilities and accomplishments along with those of the other student/athletes at KU.
I'm glad you chose to be Jayhawk and hope you have a great experience at KU! Rock Chalk, and take care of the Icabods tomorrow!

Ralster Jayhawk 1 year, 5 months ago

And let me make a favorable comment regarding AW3 (I was at the ESU game)...he was very active, like Rush going after the boards, buried 2 treys with a great form&release and was quite active on the periphery...and he is a specimen at 6'6 210lbs--> I kept thinking during the live game that he is more "active" than Xavier was...lets see how it goes thru the season.

RockChalk710 1 year, 5 months ago

"nicknamed trees in high school" For being tall they said... Must be an ent

Ralster Jayhawk 1 year, 5 months ago

AW3 and his family are quality people. Cant wait to see him shine for KU in the coming seasons. Consider AW3 a foundation piece at KU, kind of like Releford (similar ranking too). Like all frosh under Self, the defense will improve with each passing week and month. He is very motivated, he will do great. And he spoke of defense this summer, so he is well aware (as is every player on the team). They'll be fine. RCJH!

UncleMiltyN 1 year, 5 months ago

Talk about much ado about nothing on the board today...

I'm going to cop out and say I'm just glad it's basketball season.

bville_hawk 1 year, 5 months ago

I've gotta admit I like the Jaybate is Cliff Claven analysis: pompous arrogant long-winded blowhard middle aged postman still living with and dominated by his mother. It's probably closer to the truth than he cares to admit...

Allen Shepard 1 year, 5 months ago

I sincerely hope that the jaybate taunters represent the serial aliasing of a small few... because if not, I must seriously mourn the collective intelligence of the human race.

I've been using forums, irc, and article comments hours a day for the last two decades, and no one else, not once, has added nearly so much novel content to any community I have been a part of.

Thank god that the idiocy seems to inspire rather than deflate him. Honestly, the ljworld should fire Keegs and hire him. If you think otherwise... well, take heart in knowing that I'm impressed you can read at all.

REHawk 1 year, 5 months ago

To the jaybate bashers, I will say this. You have been lured from your rat holes by a genius. Few of you ever write anything very hoops pertinent or meaningfully positive on this site.

jaybate 1 year, 5 months ago

Here's what I really love.

KU gets pasted by Baylor in football.

And the serial aliases come out like cicadas on the basketball page.

Come on, serial aliases, set the macro key to hoops.

Oh, and remember.

Stay behind Weiss for Five!

Macros, or no macros, a turnaround takes a full five years!!!!!

No buyouts!!!!

Save the buyout money.

Charlie will turn this thing around.

Weiss for the Full Five.

Rock Chalk!!!

Jason Keller 1 year, 5 months ago

Jaybate is a great american hero.

thedotte 1 year, 5 months ago

LLH; thank you!!! You are right on in your response.

Jaybate, I am ashamed of you!!!!

To the White Family I and I think I speak for most Jayhawk fans I apologize for the insensitive remakes of one whom claims to be part of the greatest college basketball fan base in America.

Jaybate, we have the BEST coach in the game coaching our team, and I'm sure he would tell you that what you have remarked here is totally uncalled for and out of place. Who the hell are you to analogize the defensive desire of a highly recruited freshmen that the BEST coach in the game brought into his program?

White family we are very happy to have AW III as part of our family and I again apologize for the ignorant remarks of one whom claims to be one of us. I look forward to watching your son continue to grow into an outstanding young man.

Rock Chalk Jayhawk!!!

DanR 1 year, 5 months ago

Great story, Jesse. I wondered, like many, about the III. The Whites sound like an impressive family and the Jayhawks are lucky to get such a great kid here. "Whenever we climb, we lift somebody else, too." Love that.

LLH 1 year, 5 months ago

I have viewed this webpage in silence for a decade now. Mostly I like to read the articles as a lifelong Kansan and KU fan, it's good insider stuff. However, I've often noticed the negative tone that many fans feel necessary to bring here. Look, I get it. Your a fan, short for FANATIC. You love "YOUR" KU Jayhawks just like I love "MY" KU Jayhawks. I find it funny though that there are so many "experts" on here. I do thoroughly enjoy reading comments from fans, and due to the internet tough guy schtick and bravado that so many display nowadays, I've chosen to remain silent up until today. I'm no pro, but as a former collegiate basketball player, I am shocked at how many fans, know more than Coach Self, and are better players than the Division 1 guys we get (last I checked, KU is an elite program, I'd venture to say that few to none of you posting have competed at their level, and that includes me). Far be it from me to restrict your Freedom of Speech, nor will I try. Seriously though, at times I wonder how many "true" fans really post. I'm not trying to judge anyone's loyalty, or say that you have to buy EVERYTHING Self does, or every guy KU recruits, but for the love of God, if you LOVE KU BBALL, maybe celebrate it a little more. You may hear from me again, you may not, but some of the dialogue I've seen on here is flat out uncalled for. Let's keep in mind, these are "kids". Kids make mistakes. Kids fail to play defense sometimes, or knock down open shots, or convert every dunk they attempt. I understand, you sweated it out all those days in the summer with them right? You've moved away from your family and sacrificed things so you could be an elite player at the D1 level right? So that makes you an authority on ALL things basketball related right? Opinions are fine and that's a small part of what makes America great, however, bashing on your fellow man, especially one that represents the University or State that you love is NOT a virtuous quality. If you bag on a kid long enough, that mistake he made in the game will go away right? The L in the loss column will magically convert to a W due to your personal hatefest on the kid won't it? Do as you wish, say what you like. I just wish you all were famous or mildly famous like the KU staff and players. So the media could print stories about your every move and let all the schmucks out in cyber land critique your entire life. Sum up your character in a post, even though they've never even flippin met you. Show some class, be a KU fan. Back "YOUR" favorite team, with class, just a suggestion from a middle aged dude on a rant. Take it or leave it. I don't care, but please, please, stop claiming to be Superfan one day, and trashing the kids who play the next. You want consistency from the staff and players? How about some consistency from you as a fan?

REHawk 1 year, 5 months ago

Well, as this Sunday winds down, I must say that we have shared some interesting, if sometimes contentious posts regarding the human interest article, other posters' comments, and Andrew's play, specifically. Let it be iknown by all readers of this site, esp. fond and loving family members of players, that every word uttered regarding Jayhawk basketball will probably be parsed and subjected to minute examination. Gotta hope that no one drifts away in too much of a snit at having felt offended. Every single utterance of coaches, family members, players, fans, anyone connected to our sport is up for such examination and interpretation. Terrific differences of opinion often are the rule of the day. Lots of very intense, very caring contributors to this site.

AverageCitizen 1 year, 5 months ago

I see why AW3 is such a perfect fit for KU. History and legacy. He has it, we have it. Drew may not see just how deep that attachment to KU goes until many years down the road but he and his family will always be part of Jayhawk nation now. It is a pleasure to have such a fine young man representing our university.

As far as defense and AW3 goes, part of my enjoyment of being a KU fan and alum is seeing the development of our players from their freshman year to later years. It's like watching my children grow! He's got all the tools, including character and willingness to work hard, to make it big. Heres to a great season. RCJH

kufaninmo 1 year, 5 months ago

that picture is awesome, you can tell White is having the time of his life!

nostradavid 1 year, 5 months ago

If I was a freshman playing basketball at KU, I'd be smiling all the time. I love Elijah's smile. You just can't hide it when you're having fun. I want Andrew Jackson White III to have all the fun he can, all the way to April.

JayHok 1 year, 5 months ago

Love this family's work ethic and character! A perfect fit for Coach Self.

Go White III !

coloradojayhawk 1 year, 5 months ago

It would have been nice to have a photo that SHOWS the name on the uniform, doncha think? Even if it's not a game situation, that was a major point of the story and those of us without access to the games can't have seen this for ourselves. Just sayin...

NDJ 1 year, 5 months ago

The next step is to play like Jo Jo White I

Clarence Haynes 1 year, 5 months ago

Jaybate....Bill Self is the Coach, not you! This is a quality young man. Let Bill Self develop him!

DCLawHawk 1 year, 5 months ago

“Our basic philosophy is, ‘Life is God’s gift to us. What we do with that life is our gift to God,’” the oldest White said. Words to live by, Rev. White! I hope your grandson follows in the great tradition of Kansas basketball players like Wayne Simien, using his God-given talents on the basketball court and giving his all to his Lord and fellow man off the basketball court. Welcome to the Jayhawk family, AW3!

dylans 1 year, 5 months ago

Nice article on Perry Ellis in the Star today.

I hope one of his current goals is to win a National Championship.

REHawk 1 year, 5 months ago

On a merrier note, Bill Self, when he sees the above photo, will probably take Andrew aside to demand, "What's this grin about, son? You are not to grin until you strip the ball from that player! Understand?"

rick cowley 1 year, 5 months ago

That sounds like a great kid from a great family.

REHawk 1 year, 5 months ago

Andrew, I had become comfortable referring to you as AW3, but could swing toward Trey if you would prefer. I enjoyed reading earlier press reports regarding your daily regimen of shooting. Jaybate offers good advice to you and your pop. Now is the time to think DEFENSE. The quickest path for a 6'6" shooter to get on the floor in the Bill Self System is to strive and succeed as a better than average defender. That might call forth a stainless steel mindset for an offensive specialist...but will be well worth the investment. Obviously, you are the product of strong, successful family heritage. You have certainly signed on with the right hoops program, one in which you will eventually shine and luxuriate in an extended family atmosphere. Here's wishing for you the very best of good fortune in your years as a Jayhawk. That numeral on your uniform is something very special. I hope to see it on the court soon, and often. Rock Chalk!

gdkadjayhawk 1 year, 5 months ago

OK, Andrew, you're now officially on my "watch list" for favorite Jayhawk!

soapisurfriend 1 year, 5 months ago

Now look out for the younger White. Andrien will be a fine PG in 2015 and is a Phenom150 this year. His body is developing like his older brother's and he has a tight handle to go along with that White jump shot.

John Strayer 1 year, 5 months ago

I just wish posters on this board would cut a little slack for all freshman. Goog grief Jaybate...his first game at this level. Freshmen aren't going to come into college playing D like All Americans. It takes time and work. Back off dude.

iamakufan 1 year, 5 months ago

Welcome to the entire White family! Andrew III made a good choice and we are proud to have a quality person like him at the University of Kansas. It appears this family did a great job raising a fine young man.

okiedave 1 year, 5 months ago

Great article. Now whenever I see White one the floor, I will visualize his father, mother and grandfather watching and cheering.

jaybate 1 year, 5 months ago

Pop's a real estate developer alright. 45 others! :-)

Develop this, pop.

If AW3 does not start getting his butt down and guarding someone, he's going to be transferring to one of those 45.

Sorry, but this is how you have to talk to preacher's kids that become real estate developers and work on their kid's trey shooting till midnight, in order to get pop and son refocused on a development plan that has to include defense.

Father White, we understand Virginia is a great state, that strong men from there forged our country, that Andrew Jackson once came to Washington from out of state and threw the central bankers out.

But your son has come to Kansas--a place formed to keep America from tipping slave, a place where people didn't just talk about freeing people, they followed John Brown and did something about, while every one else was compromising on breaking up families for chattel. And when the robber barons had turned Americans into wage slaves by the 1890s, it was Kansas Populists that organized and lead the charge for regulation on the monopolists, the 8 hour day, the 5 day week, women suffrage, and got enough control of the state government to squeeze the pinch point of rail infrastructure in the state to make it stick. And when the Germans had to have their asses kicked back to Berlin, the leaders in Washington called for a Kansan named Eisenhower to get it done.

The man who invented the game came to Lawrence, KS to give it a home. We take all aspects of the game seriously here, not just shooting.

We believe in attacking on offense and attacking on defense in Kansas.

Your son, a Virginian, could be one of our greatest perimeter players, if he committed to defense.

That would be good for Kansas, it would be good for Virginia, and it would be good for your son.

It is obvious that we need your assistance in turning your son into a razored fanatic on defense, sir.

Are you with us, or against us?

Rock Chalk, sir!

Machawk 1 year, 5 months ago

What a classy, well-grounded family! They definitely are in for the ride of their lives by picking tradition-rich KU basketball. The Jayhawk Nation will be the largest family the White's will ever experience. Andrew III made a great decision to pick KU and will be a great player and representative for the university. We are so fortunate to recruit not only good players but unselfish team players who make us all proud.

Steve Yeakel 1 year, 5 months ago

Welcome White family, we are so blessed to have you as Jayhawks! And great article Gary.

Dirk Medema 1 year, 5 months ago

He's already a deadly shooter. Coach Self will take that long frame and turn him into a D-master as well. Trey will earn a lot of money when he gets his name on his next jersey, and help raise a few banners in the process.

trustyourSelf 1 year, 5 months ago

That must have been a confusing household growing up...all the Andr___ names

Benz Junque 1 year, 5 months ago

Let your actions every day pay tribute to your ancestors. Show the world what good parents you had by being a good citizen. When people see you behaving with class, humility and dignity, they will think, "What good parents that young man must have".

And congrats to a fellow "III".

Sincerely, Ben Williamson III, proud grandson of Ben Williamson II, KU Class of 1933.