Friday, November 2, 2012

Coming around: Panelists have high praise for Jayhawks

Kansas coach Bill Self, right, listens as Blair Kerkhoff shares his opinion of the one-and-done rule during Bill Self's Courtside roundtable discussion on Thursday, Nov. 1, 2012, at Crown Toyota Pavilion. Other panel members were Jay Bilas, Mike DeCourcy,  and Fran Fraschilla.

Kansas coach Bill Self, right, listens as Blair Kerkhoff shares his opinion of the one-and-done rule during Bill Self's Courtside roundtable discussion on Thursday, Nov. 1, 2012, at Crown Toyota Pavilion. Other panel members were Jay Bilas, Mike DeCourcy, and Fran Fraschilla.

photo

The panelists at Thursday night’s inaugural “Courtside View” at Crown Toyota Pavilion prepped for their roundtable discussion with Kansas University basketball coach Bill Self by attending the Jayhawks’ afternoon hoops practice.

The consensus?

KU will have a heck of a team again this season.

“We picked you 12th (in preseason poll). I’d say it’s our first error of the season. You will be better than that,” Mike DeCourcy of The Sporting News told a crowd of more than 400 at the Assists Foundation fundraiser.

“A lot of guys can score,” DeCourcy added. “I think Ben McLemore missed two shots today. He took a few.”

ESPN analyst Jay Bilas said: “It’s a very young team. I’m impressed with the way they related to each other and the coaches.

“If you told any of us at this time last year Kansas would play for a national championship, we’d say, ‘Really? Can we have some of what you are smoking?’” Bilas added to laughs from the crowd. “I think by the middle of the season, we will not see more than a handful of teams where we’d say they are better (than KU).”

ESPN’s Fran Fraschilla, who replaces Bob Knight on Big 12’s ESPN Big Monday telecasts this season, said: “It may not be the deepest Kansas team he (Self) has had. The great recruiting class is on the way (for next season). Some of the best players are young players, and they have not gotten the full effect of Bill’s coaching yet.

“They’ll likely be 9-0 at home. If you go 6-3 on the road, which is do-able, that’s 15-3 and likely a ninth consecutive conference championship. Every home game except one or two will be a test for you (in league) and every road game for sure. They (Jayhawks) will play hard. They are always prepared,” Fraschilla added.

KU coach Self took the kind words in stride.

“I think the guys definitely over-evaluated my team right now, but I guess you expect them to do that if they are your guests,” Self said. “I don’t think we’re that good. I really don’t. I think we have a chance. We’re a little deeper than last year. We were six deep.

“We are athletic. The key will be our anchor and point guard. If Jeff Withey plays like the third-best center in the country and Elijah (Johnson) can run a team, those would be keys. One thing I’m proud of is our guys expect to do it. That’s half of it. They think they are good.

“It should be a great league race,” Self added. “Losing Missouri ... I think our league needed personality. Huggs (Bob Huggins, West Virginia) brings personality, and TCU brings recruiting in the Dallas area.

“On the national level, Indiana may be better than everybody from a roster standpoint,” Self continued, “but I don’t think there’s a clear-cut team. Last year there were definitely two, Kentucky and North Carolina. I don’t see it. I see 15-20 teams that have a shot, and hopefully we will be one in the mix.”

The panelists tackled questions presented by host/former KU player Greg Gurley. One particularly interesting moment came when Bilas, in response to a question about tougher academic standards for incoming players, indicated there should be no standards. He said schools should be able to admit any student-athletes they wish.

“Kansas knows how to educate their students. Duke does. St. John’s does. We don’t need this,” Bilas said. “A lot of schools say, ‘We wouldn’t take these kids (academic risks).’ My response is, ‘You don’t have to.’

“Kansas is perfectly capable of saying, ‘We deem this student appropriate for admission. We’ll educate them.’ I don’t think the NCAA should be in that business.”

Self is concerned that a student who earns a 2.3 grade-point average in coming years will need a 1080 on the SAT to qualify for admission. In the past, a 2.3 GPA was matched with a 900 SAT.

“The difference between 900 and 1080 is, what, 18 percent?” Self said. “That is pretty significant.”

He likes Bilas’ suggestion.

“You do have standards,” Self said. “The NCAA put restrictions on schools with the APR (academic progress rating). If you are meeting that standard and a school wants to accept a kid, then why would that be a problem to do so? Leave it to the universities to decide if they want that student, and if they do take the student, then if he doesn’t do well, then the university is at risk. That’s the way it is already. I don’t understand why you need to have a double whammy.”

Reunion in February: It was revealed that there will be a 115th year of KU basketball celebration this year in which former players will be invited to town for a reunion, which has been the custom every five years. The reunion will be for the KU-TCU game on Feb. 23 in Allen.

Comments

Hurinfan 2 years, 1 month ago

They make a very valid point about raising the academic standard and I agree. They also spoke about paying athletes and Bill said that they should receive 2000$ stipend at least. This is fine and I think 2000$ is a good amount to cover extra expenses and things like that but I think they should be weary about giving too much money to athletes. They're already receiving a free education (with a value of $30K+ depending on the school + tutors, vacation, room and board etc.) The idea that student athletes get the kind of treatment that they do plus maybe a decent amount of cash would upset students, like myself, that have to pay for their own education, tutoring, room and board etc.

David Leathers 2 years, 1 month ago

No offense or dis-respect intended at all, but students such as yourself don't bring in millions of dollars anually to the athletic programs. These student-athletes are very deserving of the scholarships they already receive, plus some. I'm not saying to make them millionaires or give them a Ferrari. I just think that they should get a kick back from the athletic department for putting their mind, body and soul into these gigantic money making machines.

It should also be noted that if this were to ever happen the NCAA would absolutely have to impose regulations as to how much they're able to receive, and have the bodies and resources in place to be able to make judgements on violations and disciplines.

bradh 2 years, 1 month ago

It sounds good, but $2,000 X 100 (have more than that on the football and men's basketball team) is $200,000. Which non-revenue sport are you getting rid of to pay for it? Don't look at the girls sports, Title IX won't let you drop those, so golf, baseball, ??? Or do you want to pay all the student athletes? You'll need to drop more sports. Or do you want to only pay the male athletes? Or only the revenue producing sports? Why $2,000, why not a % of the money they bring in? Do you adjust for inflation every year, every 5 years, ...?

I think all the student athletes costs should be covered, but paying them starts you down a slippery slope of who gets paid and how much. Additionally it will cost you some non-revenue sports.

jhox 2 years, 1 month ago

You would have to pay the women's sports teams too, whether they produce revenues or not. Honestly, a school like KU could find a way to fund that with the revenues they have coming in. We are paying millions to two ex football coaches already. I'm sure there's probably some dead weight in the athletic department budget that could be cut. The problem is the UMKC'c of the world never could. Perhaps that's a good way to thin out the number of D1 programs? In men's basketball there are too many noncompetitive programs anyway. Would NCAA D1 basketball really miss UMKC? Or 50 other schools like them?

dylans 2 years, 1 month ago

No but UMKC would miss its team. Also the players on the team wouldn't get to play the game they love against top talent.

kureader 2 years, 1 month ago

I don't believe Self and most others are suggesting that the players receive compensenation, but that their stipend be increased. Athletes have always received monthly stipends ... in the 70's it was called laundry money (as mentioned below). I think it was $35/month or so then. I don't know what it is now. It appears that Self is suggesting $2000/year or about $165/month. That's a daily per diem allowance of about $5. Given that the athletes can't work another job, it's reasonable. It's unfortunate that this amount is mischaracterized as "compensation".

dylans 2 years, 1 month ago

Have a friend return two pairs of "free" shoes at full price and that same athlete has made $200. Don't say it hasn't happened; I've seen it with my own two eyes in the '90s.

Curtis Stutz 2 years, 1 month ago

"That’s half of it. They think they are good." Love it. They know they're good, 'cause they went through trial by fire last year, and they just kept fighting and winning.

KansasComet 2 years, 1 month ago

Last years team made it to the Championship Game. We lost two Players to the NBA, however, we added two red-shirt freshmen, the high school player of the year, a long distance assassin, a lock down defensive minded guard and two capable bigs, and we somehow get ranked 7th. I think the snub will be motivation. Not the first time we have been dissed. Can't wait to prove the doubters wrong.

Cameron Cederlind 2 years, 1 month ago

Love the enthusiasm but being ranked 7th preseason isn't much of a snub, at least from a relative standpoint. We lost 35 points of offense and 7 of our players haven't been seen by most of these analysts who did the rankings. We know we'll be good but they don't, I don't think its a snub or being dissed.

KansasComet 2 years, 1 month ago

Thanks for your post. I understand your point of view, that being ranked 7th is not that bad considering the 35 points of offense that we lost. I guess I am more glass half full than half empty, because I think we gained quite a bit of talent for this upcoming season.

My feelings are Ohio State, Michigan, and North Carolina State being ranked above Kansas is a total diss and a complete snub. However, no worries, we will prove them all wrong. If analysts have not done their research, then maybe they shouldn't comment.

Just a few years ago, Dick Vitale had us ranked very low, not in the nation, but in the conference. I am sure he will never make that mistake again.

We lost two impact players and we are adding 4-5 impact players, this includes the two redshirt freshman. I will take that exchange any day of the week.

Thanks again for your comments and I understand your point of view.

Dee Shaw 2 years, 1 month ago

Mike DeCourcy and Jay Bilas are great talents in there field. Mike DeCourcy the last few year has been on the morning show on 810 AM radio in K.C. with a 20 minute weekly segment that I believe every college basketball fan should hear. Not sure what day and time he comes on for this year but well worth listening too. Jay Bilas is awesome at what he does at ESPN. I always thought Jay would make a good coach. He brings great comments and knowledge to the broadcast. Jay is a Duke Blue Devil but you would never know it. Non bias when giving his opinion. Something today in the journalism field we sadly miss. People giving there opinions instead of facts. Glad to hear that Fran Fraschilla will be replacing the grumpy old man. Now all we need is to get Brent out and replace him with Jay Bilas. That would make watching Big Monday games much more enjoyable with Fran and Jay in the booth.

dylans 2 years, 1 month ago

And loss Gurley for the local broadcasts. That guy is flat out painful to listen to.

akgjenkintown 2 years, 1 month ago

I completely agree. Not sure why the got rid of Chris Piper. I thought he was very informative and much more articulate.

Pitthawk34 2 years, 1 month ago

Gurley is a great guy he just is very painful to listen to on the radio or TV. Pipe did not go anywhere he is not doing TV. I hope that when KU is nit doig Jayhawk TV Pipe will be doing radio with Bob.

Mick Allen 2 years, 1 month ago

I totally agree dlshaw 74. Knight seemed disinterested half the time and his comments often times seemed like they were intended for those who had never watched a basketball game, very elementary. Also he had a tendency to go totally off subject i.e. fly fishing in Idaho or elk hunting in Alaska. Brent 's only duty is to stroke Knight's gigantic ego. Knight' obviously was a great coach but inadequate as a commentator. How many times do you think he has said use the shot or ball fake?

hotrodm 2 years, 1 month ago

If the players were paid, can you imagine the cheating by boosters slipping them cash. This practice would be out of control especially at Kentucky and Baylor.

jhox 2 years, 1 month ago

Don't you think it's probably already out of control at those schools?

John Randall 2 years, 1 month ago

Not only !!Too late!! About 95 years behind the times.

bennybob 2 years, 1 month ago

"We’re a little deeper than last year. We were six deep."

I lol'd

Jack Wilson 2 years, 1 month ago

I guess he didn't count Wesley or Teahan? Interesting comment.

REHawk 2 years, 1 month ago

Either he forgot Teahan, or he forgot KY. Looked like a 7-deep team to me.

dylans 2 years, 1 month ago

Late last season I kept hearing (from the national guys) that KU was a deep team. That made me laugh. Last years team was 5 deep. I mean, given KUs normal depth and talent level there should have only been 5 guys get significant minutes on last years team.

Cameron Cederlind 2 years, 1 month ago

I think Teahan/Wesley were played out of necessity, not choice. You can't be competitive with only 6 players giving fouls. Wesley and Teahan were in there to rest our 6 deep players. I don't think there was a time last year when Teahan or Wesley went in where you'd say "Sweeeeet, here comes the pain".

HawkKlaw 2 years, 1 month ago

Yeah, I don't think he counts either of those two. It wouldn't be doing last year's team justice to say that we were 8 deep. The bottom two in that rotation didn't have much of a role other than giving the starters a breather. And even including Kevin Young in that is kind of a stretch, given the talent that KU usually has at backup PF.

Regardless, this year's team is what, 10-12 deep (depending on how many post-players end up getting in the rotation)? At the guard position alone KU is six deep this year.

Oh, what a difference a year makes.

Tony Bandle 2 years, 1 month ago

Jeff, Tyshawn, TRob, Travis, Elijah, Kevin.....yep.....that's about right!!

REHawk 2 years, 1 month ago

Oak, take a look back at the minutes played. Teahan was an essential element.

jaybate 2 years, 1 month ago

Bilas including St. John's with KU and Duke signals something, but what? SJ reputedly ran Norm Roberts for doing it the right way and being denied talent by elements of The Complex. SJ hired Lavin who suddenly could land complex guys. But now Lavin is 2-2. Is Bilas giving SJ some face saving cream to rejoin the "right way guys?"

• No reporting of mention of The ShoeCo-Summer Game-Agency Complex by the panel? 900 lb. gorilla. In room. Wearing black fedora.

jaybate 2 years, 1 month ago

Hypothesis, not theory, dear ralster. Just a hypothesis.

jaybate 2 years, 1 month ago

Just curious, tundrahok: do you find any evidence that refutes The Complex as a hypothesis?

I am always on the look out for information that does not fit the hypothesis, so I can modify the hypothesis and make it more fitting.

KU79 2 years, 1 month ago

I don't know what the right amount is, but they deserve a little walking around money. Probably $200 a month or less. But you would probably have to pay all student-athletes so it would be a sizable amount. I was an RA in McCollum (rip), and received a private room and a monthly stipend of $160 (I think). That was a million years ago, and it was a job, which is virtually impossible for most athletes to have. But, I think they deserve something. Decades ago they received what was termed "laundry money," I believe. There are a lot of poor kids on schollie and they could use a little extra to cover needed expenses that aren't included in what they currently receive.

oldalum 2 years, 1 month ago

I agree that there are poor kids on scholarshps who could use a little extra, but those kids are allowed to get part-time jobs for spending money. On athletic scholarships you aren't allowed to work.

dylans 2 years, 1 month ago

re-read the above post oldalum. It agrees with you.

REHawk 2 years, 1 month ago

Good move, the shift from Knight to Fran for Big Monday games. I liked some of Knight's patter, but was disgruntled with his lack of specific team and game preparation, misidentifying players, etc. The guy sometimes dispensed marvelous technical stuff, but appeared to have little desire to do his homework for the game or players at hand. If he had been that ho-hum as a coach at Indiana, he would not have compiled such a marvelous record there, in my humble opinion. He would appear to be coasting along now, waving his middle finger at anyone or anything which shares his path.

flyingfinn 2 years, 1 month ago

Disagree, loved Knight for his honesty and candor. Fran is a boring tool and hate hearing analysts prospectives from a pro background

Brad Farha 2 years, 1 month ago

I agree with REHawk. Knight knows more about the game than any of us, but it was painfully clear he wasn't doing his homework.

jgkojak 2 years, 1 month ago

IF we pay them, they should be classified as other work-study students and paid the going rate for students employed by the university for their practice/travel time/game time.

That would be about 30hrs/wk during the season -

30*8/hr = 240

I think that keeps the emphasis on them being students and still compensates them for their time - if they didn't play basketball, they'd have to work somewhere else and that's what they'd make.

dylans 2 years, 1 month ago

On campus jobs (for students) are limited to 20 hours per week. I know because I had one of those crappy jobs.

John Randall 2 years, 1 month ago

Work-study isn't a perfect model, but may be the best available. Limiting it to in-season hours ignores the facts of how much of a time commitment athletes have to maintain all year long. On the other hand, thousands of musicians, etc also represent the University with their talents and efforts.

Tony Bandle 2 years, 1 month ago

Despite his Duke pedigree, in 2008, Jay Bilas was the only one on a pregame panel that picked Kansas over Memphis. That panel included that included Bobby Knight, noted Jayhawk Hater Digger Phelps, Brent Mushberger, Dick Vitale and Billy Packer.

From that night onward, Jay Bilas has bought a lot of credibility from me.

Just a thought but what if we gave the athletes gift cards for food, gas, clothes, air travel, etc. thus putting together a list of common NCAA-approved expenditure items to help them out, rather than cash?

It would serve the purpose and control misuse of the stipends.

RJ King 2 years, 1 month ago

agree with all except Digger. Really . . . a hater??? According to my eye test, over the years he's shown a healthy respect for KU, Self, tradition, etc. Should I have my eyes checked?

yates33333 2 years, 1 month ago

Although I liked Knight and few, if any, know the game better, Fraschilla is the best basketball commentator on TV. He will be good for the Big 12 since he plays no favorites. He's the Jaybate of the pros.

Kip_McSmithers 2 years, 1 month ago

Take away the scholarship, perks, and free merch (including tats if you're the ohio state) that each of student athletes receive and have them pay their way like all of the other students. Use the money that is now saved by not having athletic scholarships to pay all of the athletes. Pay them the same wages as other students that work for the university.

Jack Wilson 2 years, 1 month ago

bennybob cited Self's comment above -- "We’re a little deeper than last year. We were six deep."

As fans, all we have is what coach Self says, information from other third party sources, statements, quotes, video, etc. Every so often, coach Self says things that really give insight. Sometimes it's coachspeak, or stuff said for consumption of his players.

This quote meant something.

What he was saying was, bluntly, we only had 6 real players last season. We only had 6 guys that should have been on the court for KU. If things had broken differently .. say McLemore and Traylor eligible .. Wesley and Teahan may not have played much.

To me, and I'm sure many, this was not surprising at all - in substance. Self worked very hard in recruiting to ensure that neither Wesley nor Teahan would have had to play a major role. Teahan's performance was a pleasant and much needed surprise last season. One could argue (easily) that without Teahan, there is no way we make the Final Four run. We are all very appreciative of his vital contribution. Wesley -- while we're just as appreciative -- wasn't as crucial. But a post guy that could go in and simply get fouls called on him, be active, and spell guys for a few minutes, is a necessary function. In my eyes, it allowed Withey and TRob to avoid getting "make up" or "catch up" fouls called on them sometimes.

However, it is a bit surprising in style -- because it really seems as a slap to Teahan in particular. I know Self didn't mean it that way, but it sure could be interpreted that way.

dylans 2 years, 1 month ago

Or was the comment directed at Young? Kevin played less minutes last season than Teahan. I realize that KY was projected as a starter due to effort, but really he is a high energy bench player. I like Kevin as a sparkplug. Insert spark watch intensity pick back up, remove spark when play gets too wild. But last season Kevin wouldn't have been a rotation guy with a more stacked team.

jaybate 2 years, 1 month ago

Interesting takes by HEM and dylans.

Maybe a pro like Gary Bedore, JNewell should follow up on this with Self. It does come off as a slap to either KY, or Conner.

jaybate 2 years, 1 month ago

It could be Self just mis-spoke, too. Meant to say 7. This is why the pros should ask follow-ups. But the follow-up question in journalism is going the way of the 2-handed set shot.

Michael Luby 2 years, 1 month ago

He could go 9 deep this year without batting an eye lash. Wesley doesnt have the ability to keep himself off the bench this year, which isnt a bad thing.

Steve Gantz 2 years, 1 month ago

What does that phrase mean anyways, without batting an eye lash? If we batted an eyelash could we maybe go ten deep? Eleven?

Steve Gantz 2 years, 1 month ago

I'll miss Bobby. For one, he shut mushberger up enough so we don't have to listen to him. I do admit that he would get disinterested in the game at times and make the infamous mistakes that he made a lot.

As for the headline, tell us something we didn't know! To be honest I get a little tired of the articles that talk about how much everyone in the national media loves us, how much respect they have for Self, how great AFH is, how special a program this is. It strokes the egos a little too much for my taste. Leads to fanaticism that goes overboard. You don't see it here much, but go to the message boards on Yahoo, ESPN, etc. and our fans have a rep for being over the top. And I see why, some of them there are just plain idiotic.

RJ King 2 years, 1 month ago

P#1 - agree. The amusement factor. Last two sentences - couldn't agree more. Many of our national posters are an embarrassment! The Anti-Class.

Tony Bandle 2 years, 1 month ago

The overall quality of the posters on this site is fantastic if you search around and check out other college sites. We hit upon and discuss topics that other school's posters can't even spell!! In fact, I think this site should be renamed to kusportgeniuses.com. We are the best and we are the smartest. We weave irony and sarcasm into our words like a tailor weaves a rug. Shakespeare would post on this site....and still get out-typed by Jaybate. The Lord Himself is a Jayhawk Fan......am I over the top yet?? :)

FarSideHawk 2 years, 1 month ago

Shakespeare does post here. His handle is Jaybate.

Cue the twilight music!

jaybate 2 years, 1 month ago

"To post, or not to post, that is the question: Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer The slings and arrows of outrageous boredom, Or to take keys against a season's troubles And by composing rend them. To sigh—to weep, No more; and by a bleep to say we end The rant-ache and the thousand nocturnal Rocks That Chalks are heir to: 'tis a consummation Devoutly to be swish'd. To rant, to bleep; To heap, perchance to scream—ay, there's the rub: For in that bleep of breath what screams may come, When we have shuffled off this mortal court, Must give guffaws—there's the respect That makes infirmity of schedule's strife. For who would bear the whips and scorns of posts, Th'oppressor's wrong, the proud man's contumely, The pangs of dispriz'd bile, serial delays, The insolence of hosers, and the spurns That patient merit of th'unworthy fakes, When he himself might his quietus stake With a bare bodkin? Who would fardels bear, To rant and bleep under a weary life, But that the dread of something after death, The unuplode'd country, from whose bourn No Hawkposter returns, puzzles the will, And makes us rather bear those ills we have Than fly to others that we know not of? False unction does make dullards of us all, And thus the crimson hue of resolution Is sicklied o'er with the pale blue of naught, And enterprises of great test and torment With this regard their currents turn awry And lose the satisfaction."

Hamlet: Board Rat of KUSports.com, Act III, Scene 1, 55-87

Steve Gantz 2 years, 1 month ago

We've heard now from the Bard of Basketball Boards!! Nice Jaybate!

nostradavid 2 years, 1 month ago

Hilarious. "The slash and burn of the white-hot metal will brand you forever with the logo of Cecil B. Demented. "

jaybate 2 years, 1 month ago

Better that than "cosanostradavid," eh? :-)

REHawk 2 years, 1 month ago

We also strut and fret our hours upon this stage. And you know how that allusion plays out!

wrwlumpy 2 years, 1 month ago

What a piece of work is Self, how noble in reason, how infinite in faculty.

Steve Gantz 2 years, 1 month ago

I should say on the national boards fans of just about every team are idiots.
I also should say I came away from the NC game which I had the privilege of attending, with even littler regard for their fans. Obscene T-Shirts- Kentucky fans, many, KU fans-none.( I'm sure there were some) The worst were four twentysomething Kentucky fans who wanted to stand everytime something happened, and I mean everytime. I asked them to sit and the guy pointed to the big screen and said "you can watch it up there". Seriously. I'm older, I was with my wife and this punk had the nerve to tell me to watch the game on the TV.

nostradavid 2 years, 1 month ago

Does anyone listen to the TV announcers during the game when Bob and Max (I really miss Max), then Chris and now Greg are on the radio? Listening to the Jayhawks on the radio is an old and honored tradition.

jaybate 2 years, 1 month ago

Here, here. Well spoke. I am old as Mt. Oread now and yet I can remember on my father's lap and lounger listening to the Jaw on the Kaw make games come alive for me on small radios with scratchy speakers and one long, chrome antennae, what then seemed the zenith of technology the new transistor.

dylans 2 years, 1 month ago

I also really miss Max's dry humor.

wissox,

XCLNT point about Knight keeping Musberger quiet.

Perhaps they could hire Knight just to do that, and let Fran handle the player names. :-)

RJ King 2 years, 1 month ago

Nice read about a local (sort of) program. (Lourawls. You'll never find . . . another guard like mine.) A little insight into in-state recruiting.

Alohahawk 2 years, 1 month ago

Mahalo for the feed. Living out here in Hawaii, I wasn't aware that the state of Kansas had a high school age BB prep program which has progressed to the stage Sunrise seems to have. With the exceptions of the obvious regular high school standouts, always thought that it was just the Kansas JUCO's which would have anyone worth KU's consideration for a scholarship offer. Definitely a school for Coach Self to keep an eye on in the future.

"Friday Burn Ends"

"If Jeff Withey plays like the third-best center in the country and Elijah (Johnson) can run a team, those would be keys." --Self on 2012-13 keys to team success

First, Self seems to be putting a huge burden on Withey. This is the first time he has come out and done anything but down played Jeff's burden this season. Maybe that phone it in performance against ESU caused Self to up the public pressure on Mr. Withey.

Second, who are the two better centers than Withey that Self refers to? Nerlen Noels and who else?

Third, anyone want to hazard a guess as to Self's criteria for Elijah being a success at running a team? Does it mean meeting or beating Tyshawn's performance last season? If it does, that's a pretty tall order to ask of a guy in his first year with the keys to the car. Remember, Tyshawn had a year of on-the-job training his junior year; something The Prophet will not have had.

Fourth, frankly, I thought Self was asking a lot of Tyshawn to learn to play point his junior year after never having played it in his career. But, now, asking Elijah to become proficient at driving the car, after only one year with the keys? Whew! Elijah's gotta be feeling some pressure right about now. I always remember Nick Krug pictures of team leaders Marcus Morris, two seasons back, and TRob and Tyshawn, last season, during, or after, losses. Those pictures portray how lonely it can get, when you are the guy, or the two guys, that Self says: okay, the team is on your back(s)--carry us. I have a feeling there are going to be some lonely photos of Elijah and Jeff this year.

Fifth, its significant that Self did not include Travis Releford in his statement about keys to the team. This tells me that Travis is going to be playing pretty much the same role as last year--a role he mastered and so is assumed by Self not a question mark at fulfilling. So: don't expect Travis to light it up much more than he did last season. Travis is the glue 3 and top defender. His trey shot just must not be quite good enough to let him join the go-get-a-basket men. Without the trey gun, defenders can lay off you too much to be able to go get a basket.

jaybate 2 years, 1 month ago

Thanks, for the assist, kerbyd.

Maybe Kaleb Tarfoolishly playing for Stumpy of Tempe?

Geezer 2 years, 1 month ago

A lot of video from last night is posted on The Shiver.

Alohahawk 2 years, 1 month ago

I'm not a pro "tattoo" person, so this could/should be considered in that context. And I don't mean this as preaching against them. Each their own, when it it comes down to it. Plus, I have no idea how much a tattoo costs. That said, while I think the scholarship athletes probably deserve some extra spending money for incidentals, I sometimes wonder just how badly they need that money, if they already have enough to pay for all the tattoos which many of them have. They seem to be a priority for some.

Makes one wonder, just what does an athlete need extra spending money to purchase? Things which most people take for granted. Cars, and (especially now-a-days) gas, car insurance, street clothes, dates/gifts for girlfriends/boyfriends (husbands/wives), Twitter accounts (cost?), ipods, cell phones, large screen TV's and video equipment, video games, snack foods, Etc.? College kids being what they are, they do buy alcoholic beverages. (Unfortunately, one has to admit, some buy drugs.)

I look back on my own college days and remember having to cut costs at every corner just to make ends meet. (Even though gas cost less than 40 cent a gallon back then.) And my generation didn't have all the extra non-essentials students feel they need to survive now. (ie. tattoos, cell phones, computer related products, Etc.) I went 4 years without a TV and never missed it. I didn't date steadily, but I did my share of partying/drinking.

jaybate 2 years, 1 month ago

My only real essential my first two years was a bar stool at old Louises. But I digress.

REHawk 2 years, 1 month ago

I seem to recall some NCAA violations regarding financial assistance to a player in need of a flight home. Sister's wedding, surrogate parent or mentor's death, etc. Maybe a player could pay a citation for a missing muffler on his old beater, or an extra pack of condoms. No one has yet spelled out precisely what scholarship players now receive in monthly spending monies; but Bill Self seems to think it is not sufficient. (Perhaps players no longer drive old beaters?)

REHawk 2 years, 1 month ago

Didn't our hoops program undego some grief over Larry Brown's financing a flight for one of his needy players?

Kye Clark 2 years, 1 month ago

It was for Vincent Askew, who didn't even end up attending KU. We got placed on probation during Roy's first year at the helm, prohibiting us from participating in post-season tournaments that year (coincidentally the last year we were not in the NCAA tournament).

Steve Gantz 2 years, 1 month ago

If i recall Askew's grandmother passed, and she was more like his mother figure, not quite the same as padding a kids bank account.