Originally published May 26, 2012 at 12:25p.m., updated May 27, 2012 at 12:00a.m.

South Carolina transfer Damontre Harris picks Florida

Damontre Harris has decided to continue his college basketball career in a familiar conference — the SEC.

Harris, a 6-foot-9, 225-pound native of Fayetteville, N.C., who played at the University of South Carolina the past two seasons, on Saturday made the decision to transfer to fellow SEC member Florida. He chose Billy Donovan’s Gators over Kansas University.

“The best game I had my freshman year was there, and my sophomore year, that’s probably the best game I had,” Harris told the Fayetteville Observer, referring to Florida’s O’Connell Center. “The (Florida) coaches have been joking with me a lot, so I just tell them it’s the gym and their fans, the atmosphere.”

Harris, who averaged 6.8 points, 5.5 rebounds and 2.3 blocks a game last season, scored 12 points with nine boards and six blocks in a loss last season at Florida. As a freshman, he had eight points, four rebounds and three blocks in a Gamecocks victory.

Harris, who was named to the All-SEC defensive team, decided to leave South Carolina shortly after former Kansas State coach Frank Martin replaced Darrin Horn as SC coach. He will be able to practice next season but not play in games until 2013-14.

“South Carolina is a great school, a great place to be. They treated me well my two years there, and it’s kind of hard to leave there because I’m kind of established and have got a lot of people I’m leaving behind, a lot of people that supported me, got me where I’m at,” Harris told the Observer.

Coincidentally, Florida is still apparently in the running for former Virginia Tech player Dorian Finney-Smith, a 6-9 sophomore-to-be who is also considering Marquette, Georgetown, Iowa State, Villanova, Texas and Alabama.

KU is in the running for Milton Doyle, a 6-4 senior guard out of Chicago Marshall High who recently visited KU. Doyle averaged 19 points, seven rebounds and nearly five assists a game as a senior for Marshall. Doyle, who decommitted from Florida International following the firing of coach Isiah Thomas, is also considering Marquette and others.

Frankamp scores 39: Future KU guard Conner Frankamp of KC Run GMC exploded for 39 points in an Under Armour AAU tournament game on Friday in Duncanvillle, Texas. He hit four of six threes the first half, then made seven treys the second half. Frankamp, 6-foot senior-to-be from Wichita North, is ranked No. 42 in the Class of 2013 by Rivals.com.

Vaughn impresses: Rashad Vaughn, a 6-5 junior-to-be from Robbinsdale (Minn.) Cooper High who has KU on his list of schools, impressed at the tourney Friday.

“The best prospect in the state (of Minnesota) may be rising junior shooting guard Rashad Vaughn. The 6-5 four-star from Robbinsdale (Minn.) Cooper currently ranks No. 26 in the class of 2014 and it’s easy to see why,” writes Eric Bossi of Rivals.com. “An instinctive scorer, Vaughn already blends athletic drives and pull-up jumpers seamlessly, and looks as if he has plenty of room to grow.”

Bossi said Vaughn has scholarship offers from KU, Baylor, Texas, Georgetown, Iowa State, Colorado, Minnesota and Miami. Vaughn also mentioned Louisville and Michigan State as possibilities.

Taylor works out in Golden State: Tyshawn Taylor worked out for the Golden State Warriors on Saturday. It was his first individual workout for an NBA team in preparation for the June 28 draft. He was joined by Cincinnati’s Yancy Gates, California’s Harper Kamp, LSU’s Justin Hamilton, Oregon’s Garrett Sim and UC-Santa Barbara’s Greg Somogy. Taylor next will work out for Cleveland, followed by Miami and Boston, then the NBA combine in Chicago.

“I’m grateful and blessed to be in a situation teams want to see what I can do. I’m excited to go through the process,” Taylor told csnbayarea.com.

Comments

bennybob 1 year, 10 months ago

"The best prospect in the state (of Minnesota) may be rising junior shooting guard Rashad Vaughn."

i can't believe a recruiting "expert" would write that statement.

Tyus Jones is the best player in this state and its not even close. Tyus' and Rashad's AAU teams went head to head last month and Vaughn finished with 2pts for the whole game.

That being said, Tyus is owned by nike so there's zero chance he ends up a Jayahwk. Vaughn would look good in crimson and blue!

Tony Bandle 1 year, 10 months ago

Jaybate, HEM, Ralster....let's start an alumni debate team. I'll set them up with some silly stuff to get them laughing and then you three mow 'em down with verbal rocketry and high caliber logic and truth firepower!!!!

I saw that Kentucky Wildpussy, Ashley Judd is married to the Indy 500 winner, couple that with UK's title and she's had quite a year...too bad she hasn't made a decent movie in a decade!!

Thanks to all you vets for what you've done, what you're going to do and take heart and be brave as you face what the wars will have done to you......stay strong!! America will always have your back!!

Vernon Riggs 1 year, 10 months ago

If my math is correct, in 2013-14 there will be four scholarship available if no one leaves early. (We lose EJ, Jeff, Trav and KY)

1. Frankamp (verbal)
  2. Greene (verbal)
  3. Randle or Shepherd (both HIgh Interest)
  4. Freeman (High Interest)

If we don't sign Milton then we have one more scholarship available for that class. One more scholarship could mean we sign:

Chris Walker, Xavier Rathan-Mayes, Anthony Barber, Chris McCullough, Jermaine Lawrence, Rysheed Jordan, Jordan Mickey, Jabari Parker or sign both Randle AND Shepherd

jaybate 1 year, 10 months ago

You are correct, Mr. Roberts is not a hat rabbit. Milton Doyle what we call a Bowler Squirrel. He is something your head coach can pull out, when he is out of hat rabbits.

Uh-huh. Uh-huh.

Well, Milton does have swagger and his high school coach certainly believes in him.

Uh-huh. Uh-hu.

Yes, Yes, I know, all high school coaches believe in all their players. Its like coaches at your level saying all your non draft choice players deserve at least a workout for an NBA team.

Uh-huh, uh-huh.

No, Milton Doyle is not listed in our records as someone being able to swing between point guard and power forward. I'm sorry, Mr. Roberts, Miltion is just a ball handler.

Uh-huh, uh-huh.

But a nice long one and size does matter, you know what they say, Mr. Roberts.

Uh-huh. Uh-huh.

Something is better than nothing this time of year, Mr. Roberts. (Pause) Let me see. We can have Milton Doyle shipped by midnight tonight. (Pause) It says here you won't regret it, Mr. Roberts. He comes with a one year, one and flush contract. (Pause) Yes, Mr. Roberts, some times you have to roll the dice and say a Hail Marry in America these days. Its not like it used to be. (Pause) Yes, Mr. Roberts, your Coach Self is not the only coach that needs a hat rabbit from time to time.

Uh-huh. Uh-huh.

Well, is there anything else I can do for you, Mr. Roberts?

Uh-huh. Uh-huh.

I really am sorry about that. Young Harris was shipped to Gainesville yesterday.

Uh-huh. Uh-huh.

Of course, it can never hurt to ask, Mr. Roberts. Mistakes are made sometimes, I am sorry to say. But we came through for Mr. Self last year with Kevin Young, didn't we, Mr. Roberts? I promise, Mr. Roberts, I will do everything in my power to see that this never happens again. I know it must be very uncomfortable to be the Assistant Coach in Charge of Hat Rabbits and have to deliver a Bowler Squirrel. But Mr. Doyle is a Bowler Squirrel with swagger.

Uh-huh. Uh-huh.

Yes, you're right. Once in a great while those do surprise every one. That's why we carry them.

Uh-huh. Uh-huh.

Well, you have a nice flight, Mr. Roberts. And call again, if we can be...

(Cell phone batter goes dead and Norm Roberts replaces it with his back up in the side pocket of his Travel Pro rolling tote. He starts texting a kid in the class of 2013.)

(Note: All fiction. No malice.)

jaybate 1 year, 10 months ago

"A Conversation Waiting for a Plane in O'Hare"

(Cell phone rings and a man wearing a KU wind breaker on an airport concourse waiting for a flight connection picks up. He hears an annoying digitally generated voice.)

Hello, this is XTReme Recruiting Support Services calling for Mr. (pause while the data retrieval routine processes) Norm Roberts...of the (another pause) University of Kansas (another pause) Jayhawks. Please stay on the line and one of our agents will be with you shortly.

(A digitally created version of "If You Want It Here It is Come and Get It" by a barely remembered rock group from Robert's past--Badfinger plays a few bars and then breaks off irritatingly.)

Hi, this is Veronica, from XTRem Recruiting Sports Services. Am I speaking to Mr. Norm Roberts? (Pause)

This is the Department of Hat Rabbits calling, Mr. Roberts.

Mr. William Self gave you a hat recently.

Mr. Self said for you to fill it with a rabbit that he could pull out.

Mr. Roberts, I am sorry, but we are back ordered this year on end-of-season hat rabbits.

Uh-huh, uh-huh.

Your former employer, Mr. William Donovan, just got the last hat rabbit this season.

Uh-huh. Uh-huh.

Mark Lyons? Hmmm.

No, I'm sorry Mr. Lyons is still not available. We shipped that order a few weeks ago, as I told you the last time you called. I really am sorry about that Mr. Roberts, it was a book keeping error on our part. I had promised Mark Lyons to you. I wrote it down myself. But one of our staff on the night shift in New Dehli misread my handwriting and shipped Mr. Lyons to, uh, it says here a Stumpy Miller in Tucson, AZ...oh, yes, he's the fellow with the helmet hair and the rabbit fur Borsalino he likes to pull his hats out of.

Uh-huh. Uh-huh.

Milton Doyle?

Well, yes, Mr. Roberts, I am glad you asked. Milton Doyle is still available, and he is our season ending special.

Uh-huh. Uh-huh.

kujh1970 1 year, 10 months ago

I don't know why we even mess with guys like this. Why has KU been waiting with bated breath to hear what this guy was going to do? Why was Self even interested in him? He proved he was nothing but a second-rate player to begin with.

IrishCharlie 1 year, 10 months ago

Losing out to Florida University, how embarrassing !!!!!!!!!!!!!

phogphan2000 1 year, 10 months ago

UF must have not felt good about their chances with Finney-Smith, which I assume is what Harris was waiting to hear about. Good chance F-S was leaning towards Memphis. It will be interesting to see if Doyle is a backup for Adams or if Self really likes the kid and will be willing to offer now. I'm sure Self is anxious to hear back from the clearing house on Adams. I do like the idea of Wesley being on scholarship, but as we all know from recent articles, KeithFreeze isn't hurting for money so it's not that big of a deal. There is definitely a long list of recruits for next season to fill what would right now be 3 open scholarships. I don't hate the idea of keeping them open so those recruits know KU has spots for them. I know there is the argument for bringing someone in that is available right now, but if Adams comes in Doyle's chances of contributing this year are slim.

At the end of the day, looking at the current state of cbb, keeping a scholarship available for possible transfers in the future looks like a smart move. Conference realignments could also leave some players wanting to transfer. Heck, SEC kids have no idea what their conference schedules are going to look like, and that's just for next year. I would bet good money that UK won't have to play a road game at MU next year unless Calipari actually wants to.

Michael Sillman 1 year, 10 months ago

Wesley's brother will make a million plus dollars next year and can easily pay for a year of school at KU. It was nice of Self to give an extra scholarship to someone who was never recruited to Lawrence as a scholarship player.

Go ahead and sign Doyle for a win-win situation. You can never have too many ball handlers and we'll still have Wesley.

I can't see any reason to ever save scholarships for the next year. Right now without any transfers or jumps to the NBA we'll still have four scholarships available.

Give Self 2 to 4 top 150 players in every class and we'll be Final Four threats every single year.

Adam Gerval 1 year, 10 months ago

Jack Wilson 1 year, 10 months ago

Put Wesley back on scholarship. lonestar is right on there. He's worked and earned it unless we have a significantly better option. Doyle ain't it.

Doyle is Appleton, is Lindsay, is a waste of time.

Vernon Riggs 1 year, 10 months ago

Put Justin back on scholarship. If we need one more scholarship next year then his senior year will be back on brother, Keith. If Doyle comes on and we need the scholarship for next year then we will have to yank the scholarship from him. Once in while, it just wasn't a good fit. Twice in two years, Coach Drew starts telling recruits that HCBS can't be trusted and they will be tossed out with the trash at the end of the season. And, who doesn't think that Saint Scott will say or do anything to get a signature on a LOI.

Jeeveshawk 1 year, 10 months ago

Oh well, now we can have Perry Ellis play alot. Hopefully he can make an immediate impact like Darrell Arthur or Julian Wright.

pigballin 1 year, 10 months ago

Doyle? Don't need another pine player. Self is having a very hard time getting elite guards to come here. Geography seems to be the issue for most.

midwest_muser 1 year, 10 months ago

I would rather have Peters and Lucas with a year under their belts and Traylor with 1 1/2 than Harris anyway.... He was smart enough to see the same thing. Hope he has his best games against that NBADL team from Lexington....

John Fitzgerald 1 year, 10 months ago

What an idiot. I feel sorry for his career. It's gonna rott like a banana in an old abandoned house.

bennybob 1 year, 10 months ago

On the plus side,

This is going to help us in Chris Walker recruitment.

More PT here, Less at UF

jhwker3031 1 year, 10 months ago

I have a feeling Harris was being asked to wait and see whether Adams qualified to be on the team. Maybe this is the writing on the wall that Adams got his score and will be in a Jayhawk uni next season. If so, I think we are much better off with Adams. Supposedly, this kid can fill it up and we are in much more need of scoring guards than 6-8 tweener, big men.

texashawk10 1 year, 10 months ago

You could see the writing on the wall with Harris, but I would've taken Harris over any of the OAD bigs KU is targeting because of his low post defensive presence. Ellis and McLemore are likely going to be carrying the load 2013-14 which means a low post defensive presence is the other ingredient for the front court that year.

Jesse Johnson 1 year, 10 months ago

This makes me happy. Why use 3 years of scholarship for a player that will only play for 2 years? I'd rather use the schollie on someone who can play right away or save it for a higher prospect in the class of 2013.

I know. I'm not HCBS. But obviously these message boards exist so that people other than him can give their two cents. Maybe I just like to fantasize that we don't need to recruit an average player from an inferior team and league.

jhawkrulz 1 year, 10 months ago

I always like to see a kid that has high potential that somehow gets a chance and proves out good.

Let's be honest, give it to Doyle, either he will prove out or he will transfer either way we win. Don't forget if Naadir doesn't show drastic improvement don't be surprised if he doesnt start thinking of a transfer.

Plus it really sounded like Doyle was flying under the radar.

Jay Dogger 1 year, 10 months ago

Bummer! I was hoping to get this guy.

I can't understand why we've been whiffing on so many Bigs (and, no, that's not a knock on HCBS). I really hope Lucas is as good as some people say he is. I think Traylor and Peters will be good, but not like Morri or T-Rob good. I'd really like to get a high quality Center and/or PF, such as Walker, but it's hard to be optimistic about the top recruits. I know KU will be okay, but I want us to compete for a Final 4 every year. Yes, I'm spoiled. I'm a Jayhawk.

I think we should save the scholarship for next year (or let Wesley use it again). I think Doyle sounds good but if we have too many guards it might scare away the ones we really want. If Adams clears the NCAA then I think we're good for this year (hell, we have seven new incoming players) and should concentrate on the class of '13.

RCJH

dylans 1 year, 10 months ago

Let Doyle walk-on and give him the open scholarship for one year.

LAJayhawk 1 year, 10 months ago

I think he would have been a decent pick up, but, yeah, I agree. We have a looooong list of very, very talented recruits in the 2013 class that are highly interested in KU. I honestly think this will work out for the better in the long run. Next year's class is going to be epic..... Just wait and see.....

billhawk 1 year, 10 months ago

Boo. Save the scholarship for next year.

Steve Brown 1 year, 10 months ago

Doyle wants to be here, so what if he takes a few years or becomes our 9th practice squad player. He could go to Tulsa, SMU or Boulder and be a star, or come here and likely ride the bench, but the kid wants a shot here, so give it to him. Shady was headed to Baylor, but had a dream, I like kids that dream to play here even if they aren't all stars. Turgeon to Brady the list is long. By the time they are seniors they often contribute more than it appears at the plebe level.

RCJayhawk 1 year, 10 months ago

Meh. Let's sign Doyle and move on.