Originally published May 26, 2012 at 12:25p.m., updated May 27, 2012 at 12:00a.m.

South Carolina transfer Damontre Harris picks Florida

Damontre Harris has decided to continue his college basketball career in a familiar conference — the SEC.

Harris, a 6-foot-9, 225-pound native of Fayetteville, N.C., who played at the University of South Carolina the past two seasons, on Saturday made the decision to transfer to fellow SEC member Florida. He chose Billy Donovan’s Gators over Kansas University.

“The best game I had my freshman year was there, and my sophomore year, that’s probably the best game I had,” Harris told the Fayetteville Observer, referring to Florida’s O’Connell Center. “The (Florida) coaches have been joking with me a lot, so I just tell them it’s the gym and their fans, the atmosphere.”

Harris, who averaged 6.8 points, 5.5 rebounds and 2.3 blocks a game last season, scored 12 points with nine boards and six blocks in a loss last season at Florida. As a freshman, he had eight points, four rebounds and three blocks in a Gamecocks victory.

Harris, who was named to the All-SEC defensive team, decided to leave South Carolina shortly after former Kansas State coach Frank Martin replaced Darrin Horn as SC coach. He will be able to practice next season but not play in games until 2013-14.

“South Carolina is a great school, a great place to be. They treated me well my two years there, and it’s kind of hard to leave there because I’m kind of established and have got a lot of people I’m leaving behind, a lot of people that supported me, got me where I’m at,” Harris told the Observer.

Coincidentally, Florida is still apparently in the running for former Virginia Tech player Dorian Finney-Smith, a 6-9 sophomore-to-be who is also considering Marquette, Georgetown, Iowa State, Villanova, Texas and Alabama.

KU is in the running for Milton Doyle, a 6-4 senior guard out of Chicago Marshall High who recently visited KU. Doyle averaged 19 points, seven rebounds and nearly five assists a game as a senior for Marshall. Doyle, who decommitted from Florida International following the firing of coach Isiah Thomas, is also considering Marquette and others.

Frankamp scores 39: Future KU guard Conner Frankamp of KC Run GMC exploded for 39 points in an Under Armour AAU tournament game on Friday in Duncanvillle, Texas. He hit four of six threes the first half, then made seven treys the second half. Frankamp, 6-foot senior-to-be from Wichita North, is ranked No. 42 in the Class of 2013 by Rivals.com.

Vaughn impresses: Rashad Vaughn, a 6-5 junior-to-be from Robbinsdale (Minn.) Cooper High who has KU on his list of schools, impressed at the tourney Friday.

“The best prospect in the state (of Minnesota) may be rising junior shooting guard Rashad Vaughn. The 6-5 four-star from Robbinsdale (Minn.) Cooper currently ranks No. 26 in the class of 2014 and it’s easy to see why,” writes Eric Bossi of Rivals.com. “An instinctive scorer, Vaughn already blends athletic drives and pull-up jumpers seamlessly, and looks as if he has plenty of room to grow.”

Bossi said Vaughn has scholarship offers from KU, Baylor, Texas, Georgetown, Iowa State, Colorado, Minnesota and Miami. Vaughn also mentioned Louisville and Michigan State as possibilities.

Taylor works out in Golden State: Tyshawn Taylor worked out for the Golden State Warriors on Saturday. It was his first individual workout for an NBA team in preparation for the June 28 draft. He was joined by Cincinnati’s Yancy Gates, California’s Harper Kamp, LSU’s Justin Hamilton, Oregon’s Garrett Sim and UC-Santa Barbara’s Greg Somogy. Taylor next will work out for Cleveland, followed by Miami and Boston, then the NBA combine in Chicago.

“I’m grateful and blessed to be in a situation teams want to see what I can do. I’m excited to go through the process,” Taylor told csnbayarea.com.

Comments

Steve Brown 2 years, 5 months ago

Doyle wants to be here, so what if he takes a few years or becomes our 9th practice squad player. He could go to Tulsa, SMU or Boulder and be a star, or come here and likely ride the bench, but the kid wants a shot here, so give it to him. Shady was headed to Baylor, but had a dream, I like kids that dream to play here even if they aren't all stars. Turgeon to Brady the list is long. By the time they are seniors they often contribute more than it appears at the plebe level.

Jack Wilson 2 years, 5 months ago

Definitely sign Doyle. I agree, so what if we end up wasting a scholarship? I mean how could we do better? The guy will be a star because his high school coach says so. And like was said above, he wants to be here. Like Martin Luther King, the kid had a "dream." That's the best criteria. Sign guys that want to be here. Not the guys that you have to convince or persuade, or that are in high demand. Why would you want a guy that everyone else wants, that doesn't dream of playing at KU? I really like those Dwayne Wade comparisons. Milton Doyle = NBA All-Star. It is just a matter of time until he's a star. Why let him climb the ladder of stardom at Bradley, or Colorado St., when he can come to a KU? Sleeper, diamond in the rough, just missed literally by everyone. We're just lucky, I guess?

Wisconsin2Kansas 2 years, 5 months ago

You're a POS, HighEliteMajor.

"I'd much rather sign Milton Doyle opposed to D Harris."-Wisconsin2Kansas

In reply...

"You, my friend, have been smoking some wacky weed.

Or simply the author of the soon to be best selling paperback "How to destroy your credibility in a one line post." -HighEliteMajor

Wisconsin2Kansas 2 years, 5 months ago

I don't understand how you think D Harris is such a better pick up. He played 26 minutes per game and averaged under 7 points per game as a Sophomore at South Carolina!!!!!

Jack Wilson 2 years, 5 months ago

I take it you have no eye for sarcasm.

And I don't think Harris would have been that great of addition. Ambivalent.

Wisconsin2Kansas 2 years, 5 months ago

You were not definitely not being sarcastic. Keep flip flopping, though.

leonard 2 years, 5 months ago

Funny stuff, HEM...

Equally funny were the chocolate pants exhibited by a couple of guys who don't get sarcasm.

Mike Bratisax 2 years, 5 months ago

Are you using sarcasm HEM? I seem to have trouble w/that concept.

Well, it looks like the Spring Signing period was a complete success. Not one player who listed KU signed w/KU.

Obviously they lacked the talent, morals or courage to play Kansas basketball so in the end, we clearly came out ahead. Why waste time and scholarships w/these lowlife, trouble making, over-hyped losers?

Sign Doyle..he flew in under the radar. A Stealth recruit that's ours for the taking.

Vernon Riggs 2 years, 5 months ago

The best move may be let him to go to CU, SMU or Tulsa. We may need the scholarship in 2013. Put Justin back on scholarship. It would be better to move him back to Keith's dime than to run another scholarship player off. Do it every once in awhile, it means the player didn't fit the program. Do it two years in a row and you give other teams coaches something to talk about to the player's parents. 'We don't screw over players like Coach Self has. The {FILL-IN-THE-BLANK} University would never do that to your son.'

billhawk 2 years, 5 months ago

Boo. Save the scholarship for next year.

LAJayhawk 2 years, 5 months ago

I think he would have been a decent pick up, but, yeah, I agree. We have a looooong list of very, very talented recruits in the 2013 class that are highly interested in KU. I honestly think this will work out for the better in the long run. Next year's class is going to be epic..... Just wait and see.....

dylans 2 years, 5 months ago

Let Doyle walk-on and give him the open scholarship for one year.

oldalum 2 years, 5 months ago

You're comparing this beginner to Thomas and the twins as they were when they left, not when they started. Remember all the criticism of the twins during their freshman year, and how Thomas couldn't play longer than 10 minutes before fouling out his first year? Maybe by the time they leave, Peters and Traylor will be just as good as Thomas and the twins.

jhawkrulz 2 years, 5 months ago

I always like to see a kid that has high potential that somehow gets a chance and proves out good.

Let's be honest, give it to Doyle, either he will prove out or he will transfer either way we win. Don't forget if Naadir doesn't show drastic improvement don't be surprised if he doesnt start thinking of a transfer.

Plus it really sounded like Doyle was flying under the radar.

Jesse Johnson 2 years, 5 months ago

This makes me happy. Why use 3 years of scholarship for a player that will only play for 2 years? I'd rather use the schollie on someone who can play right away or save it for a higher prospect in the class of 2013.

I know. I'm not HCBS. But obviously these message boards exist so that people other than him can give their two cents. Maybe I just like to fantasize that we don't need to recruit an average player from an inferior team and league.

texashawk10 2 years, 5 months ago

You could see the writing on the wall with Harris, but I would've taken Harris over any of the OAD bigs KU is targeting because of his low post defensive presence. Ellis and McLemore are likely going to be carrying the load 2013-14 which means a low post defensive presence is the other ingredient for the front court that year.

Mel Clare 2 years, 5 months ago

I think that White, Greene and Frankamp will be scoring alot in 13/14 also...........they are all shooters!

jhwker3031 2 years, 5 months ago

I have a feeling Harris was being asked to wait and see whether Adams qualified to be on the team. Maybe this is the writing on the wall that Adams got his score and will be in a Jayhawk uni next season. If so, I think we are much better off with Adams. Supposedly, this kid can fill it up and we are in much more need of scoring guards than 6-8 tweener, big men.

jhawkrulz 2 years, 5 months ago

I think there are 2 scholarships available and therefore it was 2 of the 3 Adams, Harris, and Hoyle could get scholarships. The assumption is Wesley will return to non-schollie and that Adams would get a schollie and if Harris turned down the Jayhawks, the Hoyle will most likely get an offer.

Of course there might be another behind the scenes.

Eric Dawson 2 years, 5 months ago

jhawkrulz, you are correct re: the # of available scholarships. jhwker3031, Doyle was the player being asked by KU to wait. Self wanted 1st Team All-SEC Defensive Team player and shot blocker Harris for down the road after Jeff Withey graduates. If KU does not offer Doyle, there will be an available scholarship for 2012-13 that could be used for a walk-on this coming season, as was done with Justin and Jordan last season. If Adams' final core course grades are not up to snuff, there might just be two.

Adams passed his ACT (not a great score, but he passed). He's now waiting on his final grades so the NCAA can see where he lands on the sliding scale and rule on his eligibility, which will be more complicated than the norm since he attended 3 HS in the Seattle school system.

2008-09 Franklin HS 2009-10 Franklin HS 2010-11 kicked off Franklin team early in season, finished Jr year at Garfield, DNP 2011-12 Rainier Beach HS

I don't think the different schools will be a big deal in his case. Since he stayed in the Seattle public school system the whole time, he should have been subject to the same standards at each, making his final grades the key factor now.

KUbsee69 2 years, 5 months ago

Adams may have got his 18, but that's not all there is to it. It's a combination of grade point average and the test score. The lower the test score, the higher the grade point average has to be.

Also, attendance at multiple schools won't help out.

Word is, this might end up being like Mclemore & Traylor ... a one year wait.

bennybob 2 years, 5 months ago

On the plus side,

This is going to help us in Chris Walker recruitment.

More PT here, Less at UF

Alohahawk 2 years, 5 months ago

I'd agree this gives KU the edge over Florida. The other schools Walker has been high on are Ohio State (Not sure where they stand with their bigs, although I think their best big is a senior this coming season.) and Kenstinky, from whom he hasn't received an offer, or it would seem much notice. So, the pieces may be falling in place. If Walker were to choose Florida he would have to contend with Harris and whomever else they have at that position. If he were to choose KU it will depend on how well our current crop of frosh perform this coming season, as well as the following season of course. Since Traylor/Peters/Lucas were not ranked above a 3 star, Walker being a 5 star should be able to hold his own against them.

John Fitzgerald 2 years, 5 months ago

What an idiot. I feel sorry for his career. It's gonna rott like a banana in an old abandoned house.

Vernon Riggs 2 years, 5 months ago

It won't rott like a banana. He likes playing more with his face toward the basket. He isn't a natural to HCBS High/Low offense. He would have been a great fit on the defensive side however. But, I agree with BennyBob, this and the other Big Transfer to Florida hurts them with Walker. And if it hurts Florida, it helps Kansas.

Mike Bratisax 2 years, 5 months ago

At Florida? Not sure where you get your information but I would suggest a better source. Donovan is a quality head coach and runs a solid program. I could see him here at KU if HCBS stepped away.

Jeeveshawk 2 years, 5 months ago

Oh well, now we can have Perry Ellis play alot. Hopefully he can make an immediate impact like Darrell Arthur or Julian Wright.

Jackalope7 2 years, 5 months ago

Hopefully it's more Arthur and less Wright.

Krohnutz 2 years, 5 months ago

But Julian was so awesome bringing the ball up the floor all by himself with a 1-on-4 break.... Wait, that's not a break... Julian, wait, stop, let Chalmers or Russ Rob have it! NOOOOO!!!

Actually, I liked Julian a lot, but yeah, he was either doing something amazingly brilliant, or so astoundingly dumb you wondered how Coach Self didn't crotch kick him as he benched him.

Mike Bratisax 2 years, 5 months ago

Wright was pretty damn good right from the start. He should have stayed one more year and I bet he knows it.

Vernon Riggs 2 years, 5 months ago

Put Justin back on scholarship. If we need one more scholarship next year then his senior year will be back on brother, Keith. If Doyle comes on and we need the scholarship for next year then we will have to yank the scholarship from him. Once in while, it just wasn't a good fit. Twice in two years, Coach Drew starts telling recruits that HCBS can't be trusted and they will be tossed out with the trash at the end of the season. And, who doesn't think that Saint Scott will say or do anything to get a signature on a LOI.

Jack Wilson 2 years, 5 months ago

Put Wesley back on scholarship. lonestar is right on there. He's worked and earned it unless we have a significantly better option. Doyle ain't it.

Doyle is Appleton, is Lindsay, is a waste of time.

JayHawkFanToo 2 years, 5 months ago

I agree, Wesley has put the time at KU and it is only fair to reward the effort. If KU can do a favor for Tad Boyle by playing CU, then it can certainly can do one for Keith Langford, a beloved former KU player.

Michael Sillman 2 years, 5 months ago

Wesley's brother will make a million plus dollars next year and can easily pay for a year of school at KU. It was nice of Self to give an extra scholarship to someone who was never recruited to Lawrence as a scholarship player.

Go ahead and sign Doyle for a win-win situation. You can never have too many ball handlers and we'll still have Wesley.

I can't see any reason to ever save scholarships for the next year. Right now without any transfers or jumps to the NBA we'll still have four scholarships available.

Give Self 2 to 4 top 150 players in every class and we'll be Final Four threats every single year.

Curtis Stutz 2 years, 5 months ago

KU already has 2 players in next year's class, so there are only 3 scholarships available right now. Harris would've been nice so we'd actually have a junior in another year to go with Tharpe. Probably the biggest thing going against Doyle is the sheer number of players we already have in this class and second biggest is large number of players being recruited for next year. 2013-14 is going to be a tough year unless Self is able to pick up a couple of big time freshmen like Walker/Barber or a big time transfer that is immediately eligible. I assume McLemore will play at least 2 years at KU, and have no reason to believe he won't play for 4. Same goes for Ellis. '12-13 makeup: 4 Seniors 0 Juniors 1 Sophomore 7 Freshmen

'13-14 makeup: 0 Seniors 1 Junior 7 Sophomores 4-5 Freshmen

'14-15 makeup: 1 Senior 6-7 Juniors 3-5 Sophomores 0-3 Freshmen

Mike Bratisax 2 years, 5 months ago

Nice breakdown..I think Greene will be an impact player but the lack of experience will hurt.

Curtis Stutz 2 years, 5 months ago

UF must have not felt good about their chances with Finney-Smith, which I assume is what Harris was waiting to hear about. Good chance F-S was leaning towards Memphis. It will be interesting to see if Doyle is a backup for Adams or if Self really likes the kid and will be willing to offer now. I'm sure Self is anxious to hear back from the clearing house on Adams. I do like the idea of Wesley being on scholarship, but as we all know from recent articles, KeithFreeze isn't hurting for money so it's not that big of a deal. There is definitely a long list of recruits for next season to fill what would right now be 3 open scholarships. I don't hate the idea of keeping them open so those recruits know KU has spots for them. I know there is the argument for bringing someone in that is available right now, but if Adams comes in Doyle's chances of contributing this year are slim.

At the end of the day, looking at the current state of cbb, keeping a scholarship available for possible transfers in the future looks like a smart move. Conference realignments could also leave some players wanting to transfer. Heck, SEC kids have no idea what their conference schedules are going to look like, and that's just for next year. I would bet good money that UK won't have to play a road game at MU next year unless Calipari actually wants to.

kujh1970 2 years, 5 months ago

I don't know why we even mess with guys like this. Why has KU been waiting with bated breath to hear what this guy was going to do? Why was Self even interested in him? He proved he was nothing but a second-rate player to begin with.

jaybate 2 years, 5 months ago

"A Conversation Waiting for a Plane in O'Hare"

(Cell phone rings and a man wearing a KU wind breaker on an airport concourse waiting for a flight connection picks up. He hears an annoying digitally generated voice.)

Hello, this is XTReme Recruiting Support Services calling for Mr. (pause while the data retrieval routine processes) Norm Roberts...of the (another pause) University of Kansas (another pause) Jayhawks. Please stay on the line and one of our agents will be with you shortly.

(A digitally created version of "If You Want It Here It is Come and Get It" by a barely remembered rock group from Robert's past--Badfinger plays a few bars and then breaks off irritatingly.)

Hi, this is Veronica, from XTRem Recruiting Sports Services. Am I speaking to Mr. Norm Roberts? (Pause)

This is the Department of Hat Rabbits calling, Mr. Roberts.

Mr. William Self gave you a hat recently.

Mr. Self said for you to fill it with a rabbit that he could pull out.

Mr. Roberts, I am sorry, but we are back ordered this year on end-of-season hat rabbits.

Uh-huh, uh-huh.

Your former employer, Mr. William Donovan, just got the last hat rabbit this season.

Uh-huh. Uh-huh.

Mark Lyons? Hmmm.

No, I'm sorry Mr. Lyons is still not available. We shipped that order a few weeks ago, as I told you the last time you called. I really am sorry about that Mr. Roberts, it was a book keeping error on our part. I had promised Mark Lyons to you. I wrote it down myself. But one of our staff on the night shift in New Dehli misread my handwriting and shipped Mr. Lyons to, uh, it says here a Stumpy Miller in Tucson, AZ...oh, yes, he's the fellow with the helmet hair and the rabbit fur Borsalino he likes to pull his hats out of.

Uh-huh. Uh-huh.

Milton Doyle?

Well, yes, Mr. Roberts, I am glad you asked. Milton Doyle is still available, and he is our season ending special.

Uh-huh. Uh-huh.

jaybate 2 years, 5 months ago

You are correct, Mr. Roberts is not a hat rabbit. Milton Doyle what we call a Bowler Squirrel. He is something your head coach can pull out, when he is out of hat rabbits.

Uh-huh. Uh-huh.

Well, Milton does have swagger and his high school coach certainly believes in him.

Uh-huh. Uh-hu.

Yes, Yes, I know, all high school coaches believe in all their players. Its like coaches at your level saying all your non draft choice players deserve at least a workout for an NBA team.

Uh-huh, uh-huh.

No, Milton Doyle is not listed in our records as someone being able to swing between point guard and power forward. I'm sorry, Mr. Roberts, Miltion is just a ball handler.

Uh-huh, uh-huh.

But a nice long one and size does matter, you know what they say, Mr. Roberts.

Uh-huh. Uh-huh.

Something is better than nothing this time of year, Mr. Roberts. (Pause) Let me see. We can have Milton Doyle shipped by midnight tonight. (Pause) It says here you won't regret it, Mr. Roberts. He comes with a one year, one and flush contract. (Pause) Yes, Mr. Roberts, some times you have to roll the dice and say a Hail Marry in America these days. Its not like it used to be. (Pause) Yes, Mr. Roberts, your Coach Self is not the only coach that needs a hat rabbit from time to time.

Uh-huh. Uh-huh.

Well, is there anything else I can do for you, Mr. Roberts?

Uh-huh. Uh-huh.

I really am sorry about that. Young Harris was shipped to Gainesville yesterday.

Uh-huh. Uh-huh.

Of course, it can never hurt to ask, Mr. Roberts. Mistakes are made sometimes, I am sorry to say. But we came through for Mr. Self last year with Kevin Young, didn't we, Mr. Roberts? I promise, Mr. Roberts, I will do everything in my power to see that this never happens again. I know it must be very uncomfortable to be the Assistant Coach in Charge of Hat Rabbits and have to deliver a Bowler Squirrel. But Mr. Doyle is a Bowler Squirrel with swagger.

Uh-huh. Uh-huh.

Yes, you're right. Once in a great while those do surprise every one. That's why we carry them.

Uh-huh. Uh-huh.

Well, you have a nice flight, Mr. Roberts. And call again, if we can be...

(Cell phone batter goes dead and Norm Roberts replaces it with his back up in the side pocket of his Travel Pro rolling tote. He starts texting a kid in the class of 2013.)

(Note: All fiction. No malice.)

jaybate 2 years, 5 months ago

P.S.: Milton Doyle, if you are out there and read this, I want you to know that I am having some fun here. But I would be proud as heck to have you join our team. Its guys like you that buck the odds and risk rejection and believe in themselves when others don't that change the world; that surprise everyone and that make it too complicated to predict. I like long shots. I bet 36 once every time I go to Vegas. I haven't hit it yet, but I will some day. Believe in yourself, Mr. Doyle. Invest in yourself. If you get the offer from KU, weigh going to a school you will have no risk of getting flushed by, then consider the great people you will have a chance to be around at KU. Think it over. Look in your heart. Make the choice your head and heart can live with. It will be the right one, which ever way you go. I have a hunch your 36 has just come up. Nothing is written. Nothing.

jaybate 2 years, 5 months ago

It would depend on what the meaning of "are" and "were" were. :-)

But thanks.

Jack Wilson 2 years, 5 months ago

JB .. that was entertaining. Nice read.

jaybate 2 years, 5 months ago

Thanks, HEM.

Its been getting pretty rough around the edges here lately. Thought I might try to lighten things a bit.

I fear the example we set of civil disagreement on issues has faded in its positive influence on others as of late. I noticed you having to take some coarse, cheap shots for expressing yourself in your usual civil manner and I was saddened. I have been sick for while and so been posting less. Nothing serious. Just some kind of nasty upper respiratory virus that won't let go. But regardless, thanks for continuing to play by the Marquis of Queensbury Rules and not pinning their ears back with your howitzer, as I know you easily could do.

Rock Chalk!

KGphoto 2 years, 5 months ago

Get well jb. I like it when you're posting more.

NebraskaJayhawk 2 years, 5 months ago

Good one, JB. Hat rabbits? Bowler squirrel? lol

Vernon Riggs 2 years, 5 months ago

If my math is correct, in 2013-14 there will be four scholarship available if no one leaves early. (We lose EJ, Jeff, Trav and KY)

1. Frankamp (verbal)
  2. Greene (verbal)
  3. Randle or Shepherd (both HIgh Interest)
  4. Freeman (High Interest)

If we don't sign Milton then we have one more scholarship available for that class. One more scholarship could mean we sign:

Chris Walker, Xavier Rathan-Mayes, Anthony Barber, Chris McCullough, Jermaine Lawrence, Rysheed Jordan, Jordan Mickey, Jabari Parker or sign both Randle AND Shepherd

soapisurfriend 2 years, 5 months ago

Nice post JD. All I would add is to look for Anthony "Cat" Barber to be that PG. The 6 foot 2 guard from VA ranked 13th overall by Rivals in his class, will not disappoint Jayhawk fans either, that I can assure you.

Tony Bandle 2 years, 5 months ago

Jaybate, HEM, Ralster....let's start an alumni debate team. I'll set them up with some silly stuff to get them laughing and then you three mow 'em down with verbal rocketry and high caliber logic and truth firepower!!!!

I saw that Kentucky Wildpussy, Ashley Judd is married to the Indy 500 winner, couple that with UK's title and she's had quite a year...too bad she hasn't made a decent movie in a decade!!

Thanks to all you vets for what you've done, what you're going to do and take heart and be brave as you face what the wars will have done to you......stay strong!! America will always have your back!!

Vernon Riggs 2 years, 5 months ago

Her ABC TV show was cancelled this year however. And Oliva Wilde is much hotter!

Mike Bratisax 2 years, 5 months ago

Don't tell me you missed 'Bug' though 2006 isn't exactly recent. One of the strangest movies I've seen and she was packing a lot of extra weight in the wrong places.

bennybob 2 years, 5 months ago

"The best prospect in the state (of Minnesota) may be rising junior shooting guard Rashad Vaughn."

i can't believe a recruiting "expert" would write that statement.

Tyus Jones is the best player in this state and its not even close. Tyus' and Rashad's AAU teams went head to head last month and Vaughn finished with 2pts for the whole game.

That being said, Tyus is owned by nike so there's zero chance he ends up a Jayahwk. Vaughn would look good in crimson and blue!