Friday, May 25, 2012

ESPN ranks Kansas basketball’s Class of 2013 recruits

Future Kansas University basketball players Brannen Greene and Conner Frankamp are listed Nos. 33 and 72 respectively in ESPN.com’s new top 100 rankings of the high school recruiting class of 2013.

Greene, a 6-7 wing formerly of Mary Persons High in Forsyth, Ga., who is headed to Tift County High in Tifton, Ga., for his senior year, is ranked No. 31 by Rivals.com. Frankamp, a 6-0 point guard out of Wichita North, is No. 42 by Rivals.com. Both have orally committed to play at KU.

Other top 100 players with KU currently on their lists:

No. 1: Jabari Parker, 6-8, Chicago Simeon. No. 2: Julius Randle, 6-9, Prestonwood Christian Academy, Plano, Texas. No. 4: Aaron Gordon, 6-7, Archbishop Mitty High, San Jose, Calif. No. 5: James Young, 6-6, Troy (Mich.) High. No. 7: Chris Walker, 6-10, Holmes County High, Bonifay, Fla. No. 9: Keith Frazier, 6-5, Kimball High, Dallas. No. 13: BeeJay Anya, 6-9, DeMatha High, Hyattsville, Md. No. 18: Ishmail Wainright, 6-6, Montrose Christian High, Raytown, Mo. No. 24: Jermaine Lawrence, 6-8, Pope John XXIII High, Springfield Gardens, N.Y. No. 25: Anthony Barber, 6-2, Hampton (Va.) High. No. 26: Marcus Lee, 6-9, Deer Valley High, Antioch, Calif. No. 28: Karviar Shepherd, 6-9, Grace Prep, Dallas. No. 29: Austin Nichols, 6-8, Briarcrest High, Eads, Tenn. No. 30: Tyler Ennis, 6-2, St. Benedict’s, Newark, N.J. No. 32: Semi Ojeleye, 6-6, Ottawa High. No. 35: Allerik Freeman, 6-3, Findlay Prep, Henderson, Nevada. No. 37: Rysheed Jordan, 6-3, Vaux Roberts High, Philadelphia. No. 40: Tyler Roberson, 6-7, Roselle Catholic, Union, N.J. No. 41: Jordan Mickey, 6-7, Grace Prep, Dallas.

Jackson’s team wins: Former KU forward Darnell Jackson’s BC Donetsk team swept Azovmash four games to none to win the Ukranian Superleague title. According to box scores, Jackson did not play in any of the championship round games, though he did play in the semifinals.

Jackson during the Ukraine regular season averaged 7.8 points and 4.9 rebounds while logging 17.7 minutes a game. In 14 Eurocup games, he averaged 8.0 points and 3.6 boards in 17.9 minutes a game.

Orlando has Pritchard on list: Former KU guard Kevin Pritchard is expected to be a candidate for the Orlando Magic general manager opening, CBSsports.com reports. Others mentioned: Los Angeles Lakers GM Mitch Kupchak, Indiana GM David Morway and former New Orleans GM Jeff Bower. Pritchard is the Pacers’ director of player personnel and former GM of the Portland Trailblazers.

No. 15: The Sporting News ranks KU’s basketball team No. 15 in the country in its first preseason top 25 for the 2012-13 season. Indiana is No. 1, followed by UCLA, Louisville, Ohio State, Kentucky, Michigan, North Carolina State, Duke, Syracuse, Arizona, North Carolina, Missouri, Creighton and Memphis.

Comments

yovoy 7 years, 6 months ago

15?! MU is ahead of us?

Let the underdog-with-something-to-prove mentality commence at once.

Steve Reigle 7 years, 6 months ago

Nah, it's because they're in the SEC where they will win a lot more games by larger margins and generally look stronger than they would if still in the Big 12. Kentucky will kick their tails but, otherwise, Missouri will look good. It's when they play outside the SEC at tournament time they'll show their true colors. Just like this past season.

Jeremy Bolinger 7 years, 6 months ago

The sporting news is a joke. Lol at Kentucky, who lost its entire squad, being ranked 5. Great job SN!

Ben Simonett 7 years, 6 months ago

I wouldn't call Noel and downgrade from Athony Davis.

more like a step sideways

beware0fph0g 7 years, 6 months ago

Even more egregious than UK being 5? UCLA at 2. Their incoming class makes no difference. With Ben Howland at the helm, they will end at the bottom of the top 25 by tourney time.

Craig Lang 7 years, 6 months ago

SI puts way too much stock in incoming players. With the exception of last year's Kentucky team, history has shown that a strong freshman class cannot compete with a team of strong upperclassmen.

I think most analysts will be disappointed with UCLA this year. If most of the recruits stay another season, then they will be a strong team next year.

Michael Bratisax 7 years, 6 months ago

Too bad the facts don't back up your statement. In nine seasons at UCLA, he has been to the Final Four on three occasions.

bayareajhawk 7 years, 6 months ago

You guys dogging Howland need to remember that 1) UCLA was a poor team when he took over, 2) he took them to 3 straight Final 4s, and 3) he only started struggling after a ridiculous number of his players left school after 1 year in the aftermath of that success. Howland isn't a great coach but he is a lot better than what you're saying. After all, he has made the Final 4 more times than Bill Self has.

WilburNether 7 years, 6 months ago

Oh, really? Larry Eustachy call your old Iowa State office.

bayareajhawk 7 years, 6 months ago

What does Larry Eustachy have to do with Ben Howland?

Michael Bratisax 7 years, 6 months ago

When you don't have the facts to back you up, just throw out some random statements to confuse the issue.

Michael Bratisax 7 years, 6 months ago

Averaging one Final Four every three seasons at UCLA is hardly the high water mark for failure.

If you want some better candidates for the high watermark, no need to look outside the Big 12..Barnes at Texas and Drew at Baylor have by far wasted top talent then compared to Howland.

In 25 seasons, Barnes has made a total of ONE Final Four.

TrueBlue92 7 years, 6 months ago

I would like to thank Sporting News for practically guaranteeing our 9th straight conference title and another elite 8 appearance.

There is nothing(!) like a motivated Jayhawk!

Brian Mensch 7 years, 6 months ago

Regardless of the preseason ranking, I know on Monday March 18, 2013 at 8AM, my bracket will be filled out with KU winning the national championship. Call it loyalty, blind faith, or whatever...but it will be KU on the final line and by that time, I will actually convince myself they can do it.

Michael Bratisax 7 years, 6 months ago

I'm exactly the same, if for some aberration and Kansas didn't make the NCAA tourney, I would still put Kansas winning the final game.

Colin Fernandes 7 years, 6 months ago

bmensch - I agree. My 17 year old son says and I quote "Dad you always pick KU to win it all every year". Blind faith, love and loyalty for the crimson and blue colors

Tony Bandle 7 years, 6 months ago

What other way is there for us true Jayhawks?? I will never pick them to lose, not for a million bucks...[well, maybe a million!!]

Ron Prichard 7 years, 6 months ago

We have to pick them to win it all. If I picked them to lose a game, such as against UNC this year, and they actually did, I would feel like I jinxed the team or somehow caused it due to my lack of faith. At least if I pick them to win it all and they lose along the way, I know it wasn't my lack of faith that doomed them.

bradynsdad 7 years, 6 months ago

Both Parker and randle have said they like coach k. If he gets them both he will most likely get another title. I read an article yesterday about Parker and any school will be truly lucky to get this kid.

Martin Rosenblum 7 years, 6 months ago

"Other top 100 players with KU currently on their lists:"

I didn't count them all, but there looks to be a fair percentage of the top 100 represented in that list of names. But, why would a kid Not put KU on his list? What does anybody have to lose by putting a legendary team like KU on their list? It seems pointless to publish such a list. It's like listing the names of everybody who likes ice cream! Why wouldn't you put your name on that list? It does not prove or predict anything. Of course most people like ice cream. And, of course most future college basketball players like iconic, historic, high-profile teams. Next time, add my name to the ice cream "likers" list please. (could be "lickers" too!)

Martin Rosenblum 7 years, 6 months ago

Well, he may be the licorice flavor that is somehow cuiously appealing to some people.

Curtis Stutz 7 years, 6 months ago

Checking out the futures at Harvey's in Tahoe today, IU 6 to 1, UK 7 to 1, UofL right behind, I have to say if I could short those UK futures I would with just about every dollar I have. Almost no chance of a repeat as far as I'm concerned. Was never impressed with UofL either. Gonna put some money on NCSt going off at 25 to 1, 30 to 1 before Leslie announced he was returning. KU dropped from originally 20 to 1 to 18 to 1. UNC and Duke at 20 to 1 I think. Anyway, love the idea of people underrating KU, was a little worried they'd be top5 in every poll. MSU is actually 12 to 1, another I would short with big bucks if I could, can't wait for Atlanta when KU gets to work them over. After Duke beats UK in Atlanta and KU takes down MSU we should see serious shifts in championship futures.

I won't be shocked if MU wins the SEC next year. Actually I'll be downright disgusted with them if UK actually wins in Columbia, bunch of youngsters and all.

Joe Joseph 7 years, 6 months ago

I'd say 15th is pretty generous considering KU will have lost the best forward/guard duo it's had in ten years.

VaJay 7 years, 6 months ago

Just wait & see - think they will surprise us all again. Can't believe that by now anyone would figure a Bill Self team for anything less than top ten.

Joe Joseph 7 years, 6 months ago

I won't be surprised if KU is ranked in the top ten by the end of next season, but I think 15 is more than fair heading into the season.

People knew T-Rob had the potential to be a beast and we had seen flashes of greatness from Tyshawn. While they may have ultimately exceeded the expectations of many last season, it was expected that they would be the two greatest contributors to last year's team.

I'm not sure we know who the greatest contributors will be next season. It's safe to say that EJ will be up there. But can Withey be an offensive presence without someone like T-Rob taking a lot of the pressure away from him? Will Releford be able to knock down jump shots?

And while there are some talented freshmen on the roster, they are still unproven talent at the NCAA level. How long will it take McLemore and Ellis to adjust to the level of competition away from a practice setting??

Too many unanswered questions heading into next season to feel overconfident. I am confident that KU will be good next season, but I'm not confident KU will be good immediately.

Michael Bratisax 7 years, 6 months ago

Exactly what they said last year after losing the Morris Twins, Morningstar, Reed, and Selby ( okay maybe not Selby). We lost basically every starter besides Tyshawn and had a very thin bench.

Nobody thought Robinson would become one of the most dominating players in the game last season.

Personal, I rarely care about preseason rankings. No one knows for sure how good their freshman class is or how much improvement there will be for players returning.

LSHawk 7 years, 6 months ago

Sporting News is based out of St. Louis, that is why they ranked Missery so high, just a bunch of homers over there. We all know that a Bill Self coached team will be better than ANY missery team EVER!

Ted Hume 7 years, 6 months ago

Does anyone else desperately wish that Frankamp were three inches taller? I know Self does. He's an unbelievable shooter-scored on the high school level, but at only 6' there's no way he can do that at the 2 spot in DI major conference ball. Sad, because he has such crazy numbers, and i feel that he can't really fit into a lineup once he gets here. Think Jeremy Case: according to Self the best 3-point shooter in practice he'd ever had, but it's tough to get a 5'11/6'0 -tall 2 guard in the game against bigger stronger guards....

hope he can fit into place as a solid backup scoring point guard/combo guard, I suppose.

Tony Bandle 7 years, 6 months ago

Same thing was said about him in high school a couple of years ago....and look where he is now. He has the moves and quick release to compensate for being "only" six feet tall.

beware0fph0g 7 years, 6 months ago

Sometimes height makes no difference for a 3 point shooter. As long as they have the footwork and the quick release down, then they can compensate. Think Keiton Page.

Ted Hume 7 years, 6 months ago

All good points above. I guess Collins didn't do too bad as a 5'11" scoring point guard as well...and with self's typical 3-guard system it does allow for some more flexibility with regard to personnel and size on the perimeter, when compared to a traditional point guard + shooting guard tandem.

Ron Prichard 7 years, 6 months ago

If little what's his name at OSU can have the career he had, Frankamp can surely have success.

Tony Bandle 7 years, 6 months ago

The Sporting News is such a ridiculous homer, they'd rank the St.Louis Cardinals #1....in the 2012-13 Preseason College Basketball Poll, if they could get away with it...and I'm a season ticket owner!!

It's easy to get the title as"the best fans in baseball" when your team wins many years and gets to the playoffs constantly.

It's the guys that come out and cheer a team that never wins that are the true fans.[props to all you Royals and Cub fans]

KUbsee69 7 years, 6 months ago

If memory serves me ... a couple of month back, right after the season ended, one of the ESPN guys projected us at #4, I think ... ahead of UK. And that was when they said Jeff might opt out.

Spencer Goff 7 years, 6 months ago

It was Andy Katz, and he has since updated it:

I don't buy Kentucky at #3. They have another class of stellar incoming freshman. And all the sportswriters assume the next class includes another Anthony Davis and more freshman that play unselfishly. Not likely...

He had us ranked ahead of them in his earlier poll, but for whatever reason decided to flip flop us a couple weeks later (despite not losing anybody unexpectedly):

So you take it for what you want.

Jack Wilson 7 years, 6 months ago

tedhume: I agree with you completely. At just 6', it is an uphill battle to play the 2. But Frankamp is a point guard, right? Still, not an easy thing if you're playing against guys like Tyshawn Taylor guarding you. But at the point, chances are better.

I definitely think that Self views Frankamp as a pure point guard. Logic would say that there would be no reason to recruit him otherwise. And there is no reason to write him off as simply a career backup. As with most of these guys, we need to wait and see, and not project too high/optimistic, or too low/pessimistic. But for the extremely high rated guys (and even some of them), it takes guys time to develop.

And that's why I like our prospects in 2012-13. We have three seniors with lots of experience, each of whom seem to have more room to get better. One could argue that EJ and Releford have significant opportunities to jump to an extremely high level of play. I have always thought Releford could be a much more productive offensive player if he would simply permit himself to be -- the loss of Taylor and TRob may inspire him. And imagine if EJ can shoot 42% or better from 3 range? And if he decides to penetrate a bit more?

Withey is the senior I am more conservative in my projections .. I think his effectiveness will rely upon how good Ellis is at the 4. We all know he can be stopped offensively if teams want to focus on him.

And with that, this team could be very good. Really good. Final Four good. With three seniors, plus Ellis and McLemore as projected starters, and a nice bench of Tharpe, Young, White and the best of Traylor/Peters/Lucas (likely Traylor) in the rotation, there is no reason to project this team outside of the top 10. Actually, it seems like a solid top 10 team to me.

We could have problems if EJ shoots like he did most of last season, if Releford plays passive on offense, and if Ellis isn't good enough to take pressure off of Withey. That could spell disaster. But there is no reason to expect disaster with a Bill Self coached team.

And for God's sake, why haven't we signed Milton Doyle?

Robert Brock 7 years, 6 months ago

You had us going until you mentioned Doyle. That ain't going to happen, thank goodness.

Jason Wilson 7 years, 6 months ago

Frankamp is a 2. Maybe Self plans to develop him into a 1... but right now he's a pure shooter.

Jack Wilson 7 years, 6 months ago

Rivals has him listed as a point guard, and he played point for his Pump N Run team. Self does plan to have him play point. I recall reading, as well, that he is a better passer than scorer.

jaybate 7 years, 6 months ago

Frankamp will almost certainly be groomed to swing 2/3/4. Self has tried everything else. Time to go with a point high post. :-)

Jack Wilson 7 years, 6 months ago

Sorry to confuse you. No, No .. I've changed my mind on Doyle. I mean, the guy is a stud. Did you hear what his high school coach said? I mean, come on, he knows the game. Can't believe we let Doyle get out of town without locking him down. Any guy that is good enough for FIU, or Green Bay, has to be worth a scholarship. I mean, heck, he's probably good enough for our rotation right now and if McLemore isn't on his game, Doyle might start. Didn't you see his brother posting here? The kid is a sleeper. Guys like this develop into all-americans, if you just give them a chance. Does Dwayne Wade ring a bell? Rankings don't mean anything.

Wisconsin2Kansas 7 years, 6 months ago

Looks like KU has a great shot in signing Anthony Barber!

Spencer Goff 7 years, 6 months ago

Pritch, I know you probably want to get back into the NBA, and you got hosed in Portland. However, that Orlando franchise right now is headed straight to the toilet. If anybody can fix it, it is you, but are you sure you want the headache?

bayareajhawk 7 years, 6 months ago

Pritchard is still in the NBA. He works for the Pacers.

ku1otaku 7 years, 6 months ago

Has there been any information on Anrio Adams? I thought I saw something on his twitter account about signing and making it official.

Ted Hume 7 years, 6 months ago

agree; it's almost certainly a grant-in-aid agreement so he's getting processed for summer school...

justanotherfan 7 years, 6 months ago

Frankamp has to play the 1 in college, not because of his offense, but his defense.

Simply put, he isn't big enough to play the 2 long term at the major D-1 level. He knows that. That's why he runs the point for Pump and Run even though he plays off the ball at North. Nothing wrong with that. The roles are completely different and the needs for the teams are different.

Sam Constance 7 years, 6 months ago

That Sporting News ranking list shows everything that is wrong with recruit rankings. Same goes for Andy Katz' decision to switch things around rating UK so high.

You know it's gone too far when teams that return less than 10% of their TOTAL minutes played (Kentucky) are ranked 10 slots higher than a team that returns three starters from a National Runner-up team who shall remain nameless...

I don't care where Missouri or UCLA (another failure of evaluation--ranking handed out simply based on their recruits) are ranked so much as it's borderline criminal to put KU that low on the list. It's either a complete ignorance of anything regarding college basketball, or it's an intentional slight. There is no other explanation that makes sense. If you want to go with the reasoning that KU is losing two enormous contributors in Taylor and Robinson, that's fine. But that same reasoning HAS to apply when talking about other teams. Whatever Kansas lost from it's production, Kentucky lost an infinitely larger amount. No one seems to realize how unique Kentucky's situation was this past year. Between the lockout enabling Calipari to have a couple one/done caliber players for a second year and the fact that his freshman class were extremely selfless (by Freshman standards), it was a perfect storm.

End rant.

Regarding Connor Frankamp (since multiple posters have made note of him), I don't think his height will be as much of a detriment to playing the 2 (if that's what Self envisions for him) as one might expect. As already noted, his height won't really have much of an effect on his shooting--short players get shots off with larger players being tasked with guarding them all the time. It's about footwork, timing and release more than pure height. And regardless, you don't shoot the ball with the top of your head--you shoot with your hands.

I agree with HEM that his height will be more of a liability on the defensive side of the ball. But the silver lining in that one is that with the way Self likes to play with an interchangeable backcourt (Collins and Taylor were a departure from his prior approach), he can have Connor play the 2 offensively while switching his backcourt mate onto the 2 for defense. Especially with another versatile guard like Elijah Johnson likely to get the bulk of the minutes at the guard position (1 and 2).

Kip_McSmithers 7 years, 6 months ago

EJ is gone after this season so Connor won't play next to him

Sam Constance 7 years, 6 months ago

Good point. Forgot that we're still 2 years out on Frankamp.

Eric Bernauer 7 years, 6 months ago

Although this link is about a former MU basketball coach, it is more about comedy. It is old, but I had never seen it and when I see Quin Snyder on the Lakers bench it makes me wonder about how much medical marijuana is influencing sports decisions in California. First you have Rick Neuhiesel running UCLA after stinking it up at Washington and Colorado, now I see Quin with the Lakers. Here is the link: http://mizzoufans.blogspot.com/2006/02/lowlights-of-quins-career.html

Michael Bratisax 7 years, 6 months ago

ESPN has Conner Frankamp at 72? Rivals has him at 42 which is a pretty good move up from the 50s he was previously ranked.

Missouri doesn't have a single recruit in the top 100 and one of them is unranked. Would love to see the reasoning behind ESPN rankings. Maybe there wasn't any.

Michael Bratisax 7 years, 6 months ago

A double post! Haven't done that in a while.

Michael Bratisax 7 years, 6 months ago

Ben Simonett 7 years, 6 months ago

Historically ESPN's rankings are not nearly as accurate as Rivals.

if i remember correctly i think ESPN had John Wall #5 in the '09 class. i stopped referencing them ever since.

Ben Simonett 7 years, 6 months ago

Everyone please take note of all the obvious OAD talent included on the list of current KU recruits.

Now try to convince me Self only recruits kids that "fit his system"

Jack Wilson 7 years, 6 months ago

Agree with you generally .. I would say though that TT is not our best example of progression. Really, he only played to a consistently high level after Jan. 1 of his senior season. He really should have been to that level by the end of his sophomore season. He didn't progress as planned, I'm guessing.

Self hating turnovers is a core item. But I was always perplexed by the fact that there seemed to be a different standard for Taylor, vs. everyone else .. ever. He just seemed to tolerate them with TT. Perhaps he was continuing to believe that Taylor would reach that level of play he reached the second half of this season.

FoCoCoHawk 7 years, 6 months ago

Top Ten Ploys Recruiters Use Against Kansas:

1. "They're an Adidas school."
  2. "Do you really want a woman to whip you into shape?"
  3. "Lawrence is way too liberal."
  4. "The State of Kansas is way too conservative."
  5. "Have you seen what a tornado can do, son?"
  6. "Self will actually try to get you to graduate...and play defense."
  7. "AFH will diminish your ability to appreciate music."
  8. "You will be marginalized by the East Coast Establishment."
  9. "The football program is in transition..still."
  10. "Check their fan boards...a rabid horde of deeply passionate supporters with a profound understanding of the game will follow your every move and be on you like Teabaggers on a tax hike should you ever have a turnover or a missed free throw."

Ben Simonett 7 years, 6 months ago

LOL,

must be an election year, the politics jokes are returning

Ben Simonett 7 years, 6 months ago

10 is actually a legitimate negative recruiting pitch.

I talk to alot of AAU kids getting recruited by big schools and shoe company association is a big deal to them.

Ben Simonett 7 years, 6 months ago

I guess thats a good way to look at it.

the question then arises: why even bother to recruit the OADs when historically your chances of having them "accept the challenge" is so low?

I wouldn't be opposed to Self just ignoring the top tier recruits in every class and devoting all his recruiting efforts on guys in the 20-40 range because that would increase his success of landing them.

As long as he's going to keep trying to recruit the best players in the country, i'm going to keep expecting him to sign them and continue to be upset when he strikes out on all of them.

this is KANSAS, we should be successful on the recruiting trail regardless of who we pursue. i think every fan should expect nothing less

kerbyd 7 years, 6 months ago

Saw where the Jayhawks are gonna play the CU Buffaloes next season.

Brian Conrad 7 years, 6 months ago

Buffs will be great to play ... and says stick it MU... MU ahead of KU.. HA! they loose the only top ten team they have had in a very long time ... loose ALL Anderson's tough minded recruits. loose seniors.. and they do not reload like KU.. IF they were not in the weak arrrsss SEC they may not even make the tourney.... they return one starter.. the real coach Haith will show up with only a couple Anderson recruits and try to coach both styles..Anderson and the new recruit style... boggles my mind the Sporting news people do not seem to look very deep. KU has top 10 incoming recruiting class.. NOT counting Mclemore and Traylor and SELF... want to say stick it to ole fizzou.. but would reallly like to kick the crud out of them when they make tourney as 8 seed and KU is a number 1 or KU 2 seed and MU a 7 . what a joke MU or EJ, Mclemore, Releford, Withey, Ellis, Young, Traylor, Westley, White , Adams, Lucas, Peters .... Nuff said...

Brian Conrad 7 years, 6 months ago

Fizzou looses 8 seniors ... have zero recruits over 3 stars coming in... KU has 2 - 5 star ( with Mclemore) ... 2 - 4 star and better 3 star recruits... do the SN voters even read anything? when ole fizzou looses 3 games they will see the top 25 in the rear view for years and years to come...