Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Thomas Robinson aiming high in upcoming NBA draft

Former Kansas University power forward Thomas Robinson, who is projected as the No. 2 pick overall in the NBA Draft by nbadraft.net and Hoopsworld.com — and No. 4 selection by draftexpress.com — still thinks he has a shot at the top spot.

“I think I’m very capable of being the No. 1 pick,” Robinson told Hoopsworld.com on Tuesday following a workout at an undisclosed location. “No disrespect to Anthony Davis (of Kentucky). He’s a great player. But at the same time, as a competitor, I do feel that I’m worthy of the No. 1 pick.”

The 6-foot-9 Robinson, a first-team All-American and Big 12 Player of the Year, impressed Hoopsworld on Tuesday by showing a soft touch from three-point land.

“It’s just a confidence thing,” Robinson said. “I feel like I’ve been a good shooter, I just needed the time and reps to get it up, and now is the time to do it since I’m going to the next level. I just want to show people that I can step out and hit the shot too.”

The full Robinson interview is available at hoopsworld.com.

The 2012 NBA Draft will be held on June 28 in Newark, N.J.

Combine invites: KU’s Thomas Robinson and Tyshawn Taylor are two of 60 college players invited to the NBA Draft combine June 7-8 in Chicago, according to zagsblog.com. Missouri’s Marcus Denmon and Kim English, Baylor’s Quincy Acy, Quincy Miller and Perry Jones, Texas’ J’Covan Brown, A&M’s Khris Middleton and Iowa State’s Royce White have also been invited.

Roundball Classic: The fourth-annual Rock Chalk Roundball Classic will be held at 7 p.m., June 14, at Free State High’s gym.

Over 20 former KU basketball players will participate in a game to raise money for three local families fighting cancer. There will be a pregame concert beginning at 5:30 p.m. and a postgame autograph and pictures session, plus a chance to win a car at half-time from BriggsAuto.com. For information go to www.facebook.com/rockchalkroundballclassic

Comments

RJ King 1 year, 11 months ago

All the speculation in the world will go down the toilet in the flurry of trades that will follow the picks.

I wonder the percentage of first rounders who don't end up with the team that drafted them. Also it seems, over their first few years, that rookies join new teams faster than Kentucky sophomores. So, even if T-Robb gets mired in a bad situation, we can hope it won't last long, however - would be tough for Jayla to move around.

Jay Dogger 1 year, 11 months ago

As for all this draft talk of the first pick going to Charlotte... Don't they still have to do the lottery to determine the drafting order? If Charlotte's luck off the court is as bad as their play on the court might they end up with a pick in the 2-5 range? I would hate for T-Rob to be picked third, fourth or fifth and still end up with the Bobcats.

I want him on a decent team (or one with a good head coach and potential to move up) more than I want him drafted #1. That's glory for glory's sake and I don't care if he makes $7 million vs "just" $6 million per year on his first contract (or whatever it is).

Please correct me if I'm wrong on the draft lottery.

For what it's worth, I see Davis going #1, MKG going #2 (and I can't stand him but he's a scorer), then T-Rob going next or in the 4th or maybe 5th. But I really don't care. I just want to see him play in the NBA, make it to the playoffs ASAP and then get a ring (hopefully on a team with other Jayhawks).

Ralster Jayhawk 1 year, 11 months ago

Disgusting above. I read more supposed KU fans cutting-down on one of our own than I care to read. I personally hope Thomas goes #1. He meant and produced a bigger chunk for his team than Anthony Davis did for Contucky.

And it doesnt matter if TRob goes #2. If he goes up 1on1 vs ADavis in a game of "21", who would you bet on? Who has better shooting range? Who is stronger? Who has better dribbling skills (for a bigman)? I know where Im putting my money!

mikehawk 1 year, 11 months ago

More and more it seems it's not what pick (whether first or second round), but what team you go to, and what their needs are or are not. Examples...Marcus Morris. Marcus was drafted by a team glutted at his position. His brother by another team that needed the help at his natural position. Cole is trapped in the same boat at OKC. Wherever TRob goes, let's hope it is a team that needs his help now and he doesn't have to D-League or waste two or more years of skills sitting on the bench. TRob needs to play, using his motor and getting rebounds.

1stnamemistermiddlenameperiod 1 year, 11 months ago

Is anyone interested in organizing a non-denominational group prayer on draft day? The pain of what the Clippers' jinx did to Danny Manning is still fresh in my mind. I don't want to relive that nightmare by seeing Robinson get picked by the Bobcats.

phogphan2000 1 year, 11 months ago

I think everyone knows AD has amazing athleticism as well as impeccable timing when it comes to blocking shots. That said everyone knows he's got a light frame, which works A LOT better in college than the NBA. You've got guys like Marcus Camby that never really bulked up, very good NBA player, but people are obviously hoping for more from AD. If he bulks up will it hurt a lot of parts of his game? Can he be the next KG? I don't think he's the next KG personally. I also don't think TRob is exactly a proven player 'cause the NBA is different from the NCAAs, just is. Is there zero chance TRob goes #1, heck no, there's a chance. Is there an 80-85% chance AD goes #1, sure. Heck Bradley Beal could be killing it in workouts, MKG's jumper could be coming around moving him up, who knows? If a team is looking for a wing/guard they'll go with 1 of those last 2, need a big guy probably AD unless they favor TRob's post abilities to AD's hops/length. Would Cody Zeller be in the #1 overall debate if he had entered the draft, pretty sure he outplayed AD both times, but again, his frame is slight and he doesn't have as much athleticism as AD. But he's young and has all that potential...so bottom line is people make judgement calls.

IrishCharlie 1 year, 11 months ago

NBA teams will shy away from thugs....

Jeff Kilgore 1 year, 11 months ago

You really have to look at endurance. Years ago around the lunch table, I was the only person who thought that Durant would be a better pick than Oden. They laughed at me. They aren't laughing now. (smug look)

So those who might pick Robinson or anyone else against Davis might not be wrong to do so. I like the Durant type--not comparing TRob to KD--better than the UK kid.

Sam Constance 1 year, 11 months ago

Options for Anthony Davis' NBA nickname:

A) Anthony "Sure Thing" Davis

B) Anthony "Can't Miss" Davis

C) Anthony "Eat A Sandwich" Davis

D) Anthony "HOF" Davis

cajayfan 1 year, 11 months ago

I might be mistaken, but didn't TRob have knee issues? GM's are very aware of big guy's knees. Davis goes number one. Less wear and tear.

FoCoCoHawk 1 year, 11 months ago

I personally hate the NBA and regard it mostly as a means to keep track of ex-Jayhawks. I am unsure what an NBA coach does except maybe keep the four players who don't like him away from the four who are undecided. How many times have you seen an NBA timeout huddle when the players are not even paying attention to the coach? I suppose they figure out match-ups within the context of minimally controlled violence and work the refs to get an edge. But when was the last time there was an NBA equivalent to this past year's KU story?

Are you listening Bill?

CrimsonBlue22 1 year, 11 months ago

Oh, and for this article..

Davis will be #1 TROB could easily be #2 if he can convince some of those teams going after him that his outside game is improving. He'll be a double double producer very soon in the NBA

CrimsonBlue22 1 year, 11 months ago

Hello fellow Jayhawk fans! Lifetime time fan, first time poster.

Something cool happened yesterday..Wichita Heights had their graduation ceremony yesterday..I was there for one of my cousins graduating. My mother, my aunt, and my grandmother all went to Heights (My dad and all his brothers went to North High). Anyways, as were hanging out in the parking lot afterwards, here comes Perry Ellis by himself walking to his car..obviously, we flag him down and start chattin with him..let me tell you..he's a down-to-earth, real chill cat and I'm glad he's playing for KU. We took pictures with him and discussed KU and the national title run and he said he is SUPER excited to play for Bill Self..we then shook hands and wished him all the best. So cool..

Luke Kay 1 year, 11 months ago

Okay, so in attempting to be rational and unbiased (which is hard sometimes) I will go by the old saying "a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush" AD has potential, maybe he will acheive it maybe he wont. History in the NBA has shown that odds are not in his favor. Does anybody remember Hasheem Thabeet??? All the hype surrounding his defensive skills and shot blocking, ESPN called him a game changer even though he had zero offense. Where is he now? D-league. It hurts me to do this... But what about Cole? Insane defensive presence, big body (which AD does not have), and a great shot blocker. Coles biggest flaw was his hot and cold Offensive presence, which has hindered him in the pros. Now I will not try to fool anybody into thinking that I am comparing them to AD, but their skill sets are the same, and both are having their struggles in the league. Thabeet will never be a "player". One dimensional players get exposed in the pros. And centers are the biggest question mark in the draft. Not to mention if you look at the draft in the last 10 years, history has shown that if Michael Jordan wants you early... you are doomed for failure! The championship game should have said everything that needed to be said. TRob played like a man among boys, the thng is... those"boys" were all potential first round draft picks. He did absolutely what he needed to do and he was dominant. Again, in attempts to be impartial, if I were a team GM I would seriously have to ask myself "do I want a "maybe could be" or do I want an "already is"". I could be wrong, but I am prone to having attacks of common sense. NBA execs cant really be accused of that problem, but it would be a simple decision for me. One thing is clear though... we should all hopeTRob doesnt get picked by the Bobcats

Robin Smith 1 year, 11 months ago

There's one stat that translates from college to NBA and that's rebounding.

TROB was a beast on the boards in college and will be a beast in the NBA

Think Paul Millsap and Kenneth Farried. Instant production.

Let's hope he falls in the draft so he can go to a good team.

master16 1 year, 11 months ago

Anthony Davis won NPOY. He won the National Championship. He's probably going to be (deservedly) the overall #1 pick. And he's probably going to have the better NBA career simply because of his length and upside (in my opinion). Fair or not, that's just how life works out sometimes.

However, TRob is going to be top 3 or 4 pick and he's going to have a tremendous career as well. When it's all said and done, he may have more rings than Davis will at the end of his career.

Love his confidence.

Sam Constance 1 year, 11 months ago

I put this in my response to HEM, but I'm curious what others think about a comparison of Tyrus Thomas to Anthony Davis?

Thomas came in as an athletic specimen with high marks for defensive ability and athleticism. He also was slight of build (currently sits at 220 lbs.) but extremely long (6'10" with a crazy wingspan). Sound familiar?

Obviously, Thomas wasn't they POY, and he didn't play for a national title team (although they did go to the Final Four). But he also wasn't surrounded by four other starters who went in the first round of the draft like Kentucky's starting five are likely to do (possibly top 20 for all five).

What makes Davis so different than Thomas? Thomas, who's seven-year career stats in the NBA are nothing spectacular:

7.9 ppg 5.0 rpg 0.9 apg 1.5 bpg 0.8 spg 44% shooting

Clearly, those numbers aren't even all-star caliber, let alone superstar. So while I'm not projecting Anthony Davis to be Tyrus Thomas 2.0, I think there are enough similarities (especially on the physical build aspect), that similar numbers are entirely plausible for Davis. Or maybe somewhat better, if you want to account for the fact that most scouts would probably say Davis is a better prospect than Thomas was.

Even so, I hope I'm illustrating this problem here. To project Davis as a "sure thing" or a "superstar", as I've heard many NBA fans, analysts, etc. do, we have to assume that he's not only going to exceed the production from an analogous player, but he's going to have to blow them out of the water. And to further illustrate that issue, I'd love for anyone to provide me the name of the last NBA power forward or center (with the offensive shortcomings that Davis has) with a 6'10"/225lb frame who was a "superstar". Heck, I'd even concede an multiple-time all-star.

I just don't see it, although I agree Davis will have a productive career in the NBA. I suppose time will tell.

Chris Shaw 1 year, 11 months ago

With all the comments on this board I think there is one thing that is being left out. I think people are forgetting about how "Team" oriented and unselfish this kid is. He probably could care less who is in the spotlight as long as his team wins.

To me, this kid seems more on par with a Tim Duncan personality than say a Andrew Byum or Dwight Howard personality.

Getting off subject here, but has anybody noticed how well the Spurs franchise is run? Utah Jazz and Jerry sloan were run like this also. I mean, when Tim Duncan came into the league, David Robinson literally passed the reigns over to "Little Timmy" (As T. Parker would say). Now, "Little Timmy" has virtually passed the team over to Tony Parker. I think it's fantastic and I also think it shows how terrific the Spurs franchise is as well as Buford, Big Poppa, Duncan, and David Robinson.

From my one year of watching AD play on the big stage at Kentucky, you can tell he kind of has this personality as well. Granted, it's all going to depend on the franchise, personnell, and the coach who manages all this, but if Charlotte could bring in a guy like Jerry Sloan as their coach (Have begun talks) than AD I think could thrive in a situation like that. But, we all know, it depends on coaches, management, and owners making good decisions as well. Maybe Jordan will make the right decision in hiring Sloan. Maybe Sloan is too old right now, like Larry Brown was.

jenneking 1 year, 11 months ago

I'm just excited to see a Jayhawk in the Top 5. It's been a while. Good luck TRob!

bradynsdad 1 year, 11 months ago

Anthony Davis will be the number one pick. Trob is more NBA ready though. Right now trob can hang with the power forwards in the NBA. Imagine Davis trying to hold his ground against Bynum, Howard, Ibaka, griffin or some of the other guys who have 50 to a 100 lbs on Davis. Davis could be a great player over time but his first year I believe he will get pushed around a lot! Also NBA G.M.'s drafting on potential will always be the case, of course it's had it's massive share of downfalls. We all remember Durant vs. Oden, Thabeet is another great example of "upside" and "potential". Either way Trob has earned it just as much if not more than any other kid out there.

Tony Bandle 1 year, 11 months ago

I will put down my Crimson and Blue colored glasses and speak the truth....

no GM, no matter how stupid they are [and some are pretty stupid], would dare pass up the National Player of the Year, the National Freshman of the Year and the defending National Champion as his first pick.

His owner, his PR guy and his fans would kill him. This is as safe a pick as he can possibly make from a job security standpoint.

If Davis doesn't work out, everybody else [the coach, the staff, the player himself] will be blamed, because everyone would have made the same choice on Draft Day.

End of discussion.

Konkis Dongington III 1 year, 11 months ago

I'm gonna go with HEM on this one. Whether or not it makes sense, the NBA draft is all about potential. TRob can come in from day one and be a solid contributor on a team that needs him. He can have a long career, but he is unlikely to set the NBA world aflame. AD probably won't either, but he's further from his maximum potential and, when you're a GM with a struggling team, the possibility of getting a future superstar to anchor your program seems to outweigh the immediate benefits of a more reliable and ready player. AD would get eaten alive in the NBA today (I mean, 1 - 10 against W, how's he gonna fair against a starting NBA centera?), but he could be a box office draw in time.

If I were to place money on it, though, I'd wager MKG gets the number 2 spot and TRob goes 3rd. Also, I'd bet that MKG is more likely to be the long term star out of this draft class than either TRob or AD. He's a little undersized for an NBA 3, but if he can develop a reliable 3 ball, he could be a dominant NBA 2. I suppose if the team with the number one pick overall is desperate for a turnkey 4, TRob could go first, but past experience tells me that that's not how the draft actually works.

KGphoto 1 year, 11 months ago

I agree totally with jhawkrulz, Anthony Davis is just not that impressive. He blocks shots really well, he rebounds okay and his scoring is hot/cold. Since when does this make you a lock #1 pick? He is more a product of the Squid's blue chip/NBA/Worldwide Wes/#1 draft pick hype machine than he is good.

I'd take Robinson -NBA power forward body -More productive and consistent rebounding -More productive, consistant and versatile scorer -Outside shooting touch -Maturity -Two eyebrows -Kansas education

Jack Wilson 1 year, 11 months ago

Aside from Davis getting hit by a bus, there is zero chance Davis doesn't go #1.

We're comparing Davis and TRob. Remember, Davis was a freshman. TRob, a junior. Davis has wildly high upside and has had 2 fewer seasons to develop.

The only place there would actually be this discussion would be on a KU message board. It certainly isn't happening in any NBA GM's office. If you were an NBA GM, would you really take TRob over Davis?

clevelandjayhawker 1 year, 11 months ago

Can someone help me remember the word that a poster butchered a week or two ago on a post? They literally spelled it out in a weird way....example "in conceive a bull" or "in two it on” something to that affect.

Anyone who can remember would make my day. Thanks

nuleafjhawk 1 year, 11 months ago

Thomas could very well be the first pick in the draft.

Not EVERY NBA team has expensive eyebrow shearing equipment.

KULA 1 year, 11 months ago

Hmmm, John Wall penetrating and dishing to TRob--that's an intriguing thought.

And then there's the Lakers, who need a real power forward--bad! And they will make a move to get a better draft pick. Unfortunately, Pau Gasol isn't worthy of a 2-4 pick. They also need a point guard bad. And they could trade up enough to take a chance on Tyshawn. I'd love to see them do something to make me a Laker fan again, lol.

phogphan2000 1 year, 11 months ago

Well I will say TRob's body is a lot more ready for the NBA than AD's. I don't think it's quite as unlikely as you suggest ukanjox, NBA front offices do crazy stuff all the time. If the Bullets get the top pick it's possible they'd stick with the hometown selection.

ukanjhox 1 year, 11 months ago

I love ya T-Rob, immensely. But I've got about as good a shot at being the number 1 pick as you do. It's Davis, hands down. You're a solid 2 though.