Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Ottawa’s Semi Ojeleye to visit Duke on May 31

Semi Ojeleye, Ottawa

Semi Ojeleye, Ottawa

photo

Contributed photo

Semi Ojeleye, Ottawa

Ottawa High senior-to-be Semi Ojeleye will make an unofficial basketball recruiting visit to Duke on May 31, Rivals.com reports.

Ojeleye, a 6-foot-6, 215-pound forward who is ranked No. 37 nationally, has 11 schools on his current list. Arizona, UCLA, Stanford, Kansas State, Illinois, Missouri, Wisconsin and Oregon have offered scholarships; Duke, Kansas and Indiana have not yet offered.

Ojeleye averaged 32.5 points a game this past season in leading Ottawa to a second-place finish at the Class 4A state tournament. He exploded for a career-high 50 points against Spring Hill.

“I’ll cut it down a little toward July,” Ojeleye told Rivals.com, referring to having a workable list.

“This is a blessing. You have to take it in stride,” the Mo-Kan Elite AAU player added of all the attention.

The brother of former Kansas State player Victor Ojeleye, Semi hit 18 of 37 three-pointers at the Boo Williams AAU Tournament in Hampton, Va.

“I’ve been playing pretty well,” Ojeleye told CBSsports.com. “I always want to keep working. I’m working on my consistency, playing hard.”

Of choosing a college, he said: “I’m looking for a great coach, and a place with high academics. You have to look for the best fit for you.”

Sasha’s team wins: Former KU center Sasha Kaun’s CSKA Moscow basketball team last week rolled to its 10th straight Russian PBL League championship, beating Khimki Moscow three games to none.

Kaun, a 6-11, 250-pounder from Tomsk, Russia, scored three points and grabbed six rebounds while playing 12 minutes in the 90-75 title-clinching Game Three victory. For the season, Kaun averaged 4.3 points and 2.0 rebounds while logging 11 minutes a game. CSKA Moscow played the final two games without Euroleague MVP Andrei Kirilenko.

Mum’s the word: Still no word from former South Carolina forward Damontre Harris, who will transfer to either KU or Florida. The 6-9, 225-pound junior-to-be from Fayetteville, N.C., had hoped to decide by now.

“I don’t have any news to report right now,” his mom, Sheronda Harris, told Rivals.com. “I’m still waiting (for Damontre’s decision).”

Comments

Joel Teply 2 years, 5 months ago

Yes, but when is the full Ojeleye going to visit?

jaybate 2 years, 5 months ago

When you have a cold, are you known as EnricoInFermi?

Edward Daub 2 years, 5 months ago

I hear that Semi has to first drive a Truck to get to Durham.

Curtis Stutz 2 years, 5 months ago

It would be kind of funny if Ojeleye ended up at Illinois over KSU and Weber I have to say, not that I have any ill-will towards KSU, just Weber.

Would be nice to get some news on Harris, but I guess there probably aren't a lot of reasons to rush the decision. He almost has to be waiting on UF and Finney-Smith. I know the freshmen can play on the summer trip, anyone know about a transfer not eligible for NCAA play?

nuleafjhawk 2 years, 5 months ago

He should quit being so selective - just put the dang ball UP, man. You can't score if you don't shoot.........

Pitthawk34 2 years, 5 months ago

Anyone know why we are not recruiting this kid? Being just 30 miles south from Lawrence, it just seems odd.

Mike Bratisax 2 years, 5 months ago

I heard rumors that he has never liked Kansas and neither does his family.

Oh wait... that was Willie Cauley.

Nick Cole 2 years, 5 months ago

We already have a Traylor. Now we just need a Semi to pull it...

I know, I know, thank you ladies and gentlemen.

Tony Bandle 2 years, 5 months ago

He's got the wheels, can hit in the clutch and really revs it up!!

mgphill 2 years, 5 months ago

Finally, a GOOD joke about his name being Semi.

I just think Arsenio Hall in "Coming to America".

Mel Clare 2 years, 5 months ago

AND he shot almost 50% from three................

nuleafjhawk 2 years, 5 months ago

That's what I get for skimming the articles for funny stuff !! Ooops.

jhox 2 years, 5 months ago

I believe we'll eventually offer on this young man, but it will likely come too late. When we have a player in our back yard ranked this high (and I hear it is a well earned ranking) I would think we'd be all over him. There must be something Self just isn't quite sure about. Soft defensively perhaps? Or, maybe it's another case of thinking we'll swoop in at the last minute, if we don't find someone better, and he'll be grateful to just have our offer. It would be interesting to know why Self is reluctant to offer the 36th ranked player living 15 miles from our campus. These are big time schools after this young man, so the coaches can't all be wrong about him.

Jeremy Bolinger 2 years, 5 months ago

Agreed. I think it's been said that Semi is hot headed and doesn't play much defense. That still isn't a reason not to offer. Protect the home turf and offer this kid. Guys like Semi and Cauley should not be playing at Duke and Kentucky.

Jeff Kilgore 2 years, 5 months ago

If Self isn't sure about him, there is a reason. If we can recruit anywhere in the US (world), let him go. We'll find a better player who Self believes that is a better fit for the Jayhawks.

Jeremy Bolinger 2 years, 5 months ago

Good enough for Ben Howland and Coach K, but not enough for Self? Come on now. Coach K is as good as it gets. Now I'm not hating on Self and the job he does as a head coach, but tell me you would rather have a Merv Lindsay or someone who wont sniff pt over someone like this kid. This is a Kansas kid who lives 20 minutes from campus. This kid is talented enough for other big schools. Sign him up!

brooksmd 2 years, 5 months ago

Well according to the story he's hasn't gotten an offer from Coach K. He's making an unofficial visit to Duke without an offer.

texashawk10 2 years, 5 months ago

Ojeleye is a someone who will play the 2-3 in college. When he's in college next season, KU will already have McLemore, White and Greene that play the same position. Ojeleye would be a nice addition, but he doesn't play a high priority position for KU to make him a priority target for this class where KU will need a great front court player and a PG add depth. Getting a 2-3 hybrid player in the 2013 class is a luxury for KU and why KU hasn't offered him yet.

jhox 2 years, 5 months ago

Self may be looking at a top 10 kid with Semi as his fall back player. I just wonder if it may not make more sense to offer the local guy, who you probably have a better chance of getting? We've been number 2 in the running for the very top guys way to many times in the past, and then miss out on the local kids because we didn't give them enough love early, then settle for a transfer or juco type guy.

Hard to criticize Self for anything at all, but this is one area where it seems to me we could improve. The other thing I would say is if he's ranked this high playing in small town Kansas, what would he be ranked if he was playing high school ball on the East coast?

The KC area / Kansas AAU teams are really kicking butt at the big national tourneys this year, both 16's and 17's. At some point one would think the national recruiting guys would give this area some love in the player rankings.

ku_foaf 2 years, 5 months ago

I know next to NOTHING about Semi, so it may not even remotely apply, but Self may have his reasons. A hothead who plays doesn't like to play defense doesn't sound like a Self favorite!

I remember the article about Kris Humphries who wanted to come to KU, and the team basically said "what a jerk, please let's not." At the time, it seemed like we had lost on a big recruit, when we really didn't want him.

Maybe a positional thing, too (we have Ben) plus they are K-State family.

okiedave 2 years, 5 months ago

Appears to me that KU is not on this guy's list. Sounds like he grew up a KSU fan.

oldalum 2 years, 5 months ago

Actually, Kansas is on his list. He made an unofficial visit here a couple weeks ago.

otjhawk 2 years, 5 months ago

Actually they were big KU fans until his brother went to KSU. I played with his brother and he wanted to go to KU but didn't get an offer.

jc1306 2 years, 5 months ago

It's because he plays for MO-KAN AAU team. Same reason we weren't in on Willie Cauley. AAU Politics!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

bjejayhawk69 2 years, 5 months ago

Cauley won't see the floor at UK. Heard it from a HS teammate that he is not really that good. KU never offered.

ku_foaf 2 years, 5 months ago

Some of Neil Dougherty's HS teammates used to say he wasn't that good. There is such a thing as jealously.

Mike Bratisax 2 years, 5 months ago

Can you cite any sources bjejayhawk69 ? Or pure scuttlebutt?

BrockIII 2 years, 5 months ago

We are loaded at wing right now. McLemore, White, Adams, Greene - that's a lot of similar athletic wings that can shoot it from deep.

Point guard/combo guard is the priority at this point. Can they reel in Ennis or Barber, class of 2013?

Sam Constance 2 years, 5 months ago

I can't offer any solid reasons why not to offer this kid (if the reports about being a hothead or uninterested in playing defense are true, then there's that), but I will say this:

A kid being ranked in the top 50 and being from Kansas should not equate to an automatic offer from KU.

For schools like Kansas State, that can't recruit nationally the same way we can, that line of thinking makes perfect sense. But for KU, who can recruit the four corners of the United States without breaking a sweat, it's just an unneeded constriction on our recruiting. Protecting our turf is a nice sounding phrase, but it really doesn't mean anything, and I personally think it lends credence to the (incorrect) idea that KU isn't a national brand.

We recruit guys we want. Not guys who play near our campus. If nothing else, we should utilize our proximity as an advantage--rather than a hinderance. Swooping in late is a lot more realistic on a Kansas kid than on an East or West Coast kid, for example.

For whatever reason, Self and staff have decided that this particular recruit is not enough of a need to give him a blanket offer.

As noted, Coach K hasn't offered yet either, so let's not act like this is a Self issue.

Mike Bratisax 2 years, 5 months ago

Another in-state player that we could miss out on. I don't get it.

KUAlum2000 2 years, 5 months ago

He mentioned he's interested in a place with high academics, so clearly, he wants to play at Kensucky.

Too easy man, too easy...

BillSelf4Prez 2 years, 5 months ago

$o you think he want$ to go to Kentucky in$tead of Kan$a$ becau$e he i$ a good recruit? $o ha$ KU never gotten a good recruit before? Let'$ $ee Perry Elli$ and Frankamp are both better than thi$ kid $o if Bill doe$n't want him then $o be it. Oh, and al$o you can have Willie Cauley to warm your bench with all of the other white boy$ who'$ daddy'$ are boo$ter$.

We will $ee what the determining rea$on he goe$ to Kentucky if he doe$.

Oh man i'm not $ure how all tho$e dollar $igns got there! I feel like a bball player being recruited by coach Cal!

justanotherfan 2 years, 5 months ago

I like Perry Ellis and Frankamp a lot. Both are really talented players. But Ojeleye was the best player in the state last year and he is the best player in the state of Kansas this year, and its not really all that close. He doesn't get the same amount of recognition during the HS season because he plays at a 4A school in a weaker league, but he would dominate any level of HS basketball.

Jeremy Bolinger 2 years, 5 months ago

BS. Ellis won 4 state titles. Has Ojeleye won one?

justanotherfan 2 years, 5 months ago

Ojeleye has been far and away the best player on his team, and has taken them to 3 straight 4A title games, which is pretty impressive. Unfortunately, he's pretty much a one man gang for his Ottawa squad (not a knock on any of the other guys on his team), because there isn't another college prospect (D-1, D-2 or juco) on his entire team. Ellis has played with other d-1 and d-2 players his whole HS career. That's not a knock on Ellis. He played great basketball for some great teams. But Ojeleye has to carry a bigger load against some really good teams and he has carried his team to the state title game every year.

Jeremy Bolinger 2 years, 5 months ago

6a > 4a every day of the week. Keep trying though.

justanotherfan 2 years, 5 months ago

Never said 4A was better than 6A. I said Ojeleye was better than Ellis.

BillSelf4Prez 2 years, 5 months ago

Ojeleye is a KSU fan. Ellis is a KU fan and Frankamp is a HUGE Hawks fan. I'de take Ellis or Frankamp over him even if they weren't better than him. And like notabandwagonfan said Ellis has won 4 6a state titles. What has Ojeleye done. And i'll trust Self on this one.

brooksmd 2 years, 5 months ago

Are you sure Ellis is from Kansas? I've been reading that Self ignores quality players from Kansas and allows them to leave for other schools much to the detriment of the Kansas program. And that will be part of his downfall that will cost him his coaching job. lol

Curtis Stutz 2 years, 5 months ago

+1 don't know about throwing out any best ever talk but the rest of it is spot on

Benjamin Piehler 2 years, 5 months ago

Who needs the best recruits when youve got the best coach in the country to lead the team. Cal certainly couldnt get last years KU squad to the NC.

manunitedjayhawk 2 years, 5 months ago

Cool Kentucky basketball logo, it looks like it was created by one of the spray paint t-shirt booths in the mall.

Brak 2 years, 5 months ago

Yea, I was just thinking to myself, why don't they publish more articles about recruits we haven't offered taking visits to others schools. LJW always on the pulse of what the fans want.

Mike Ardis 2 years, 5 months ago

Um, a high school player ranked 37th in the country is just down the road from Lawrence, is visiting a top college program, has scholarship offers from K-State and MU, and somehow this isn't newsworthy?

RJ King 2 years, 5 months ago

If the Royals were leading the ALW, the Chiefs signed Manning, playoff bound Kings were still in KC, KU football was predicated Top 25, or Calipari just turned himself in for multiple NCAA infractions, your comment might be valid.

But it's a slow news day. The article offers a chance for conversation among bored KU basketball fans. No need to bash the LJW for providing a porch swing.

ICTJHawks 2 years, 5 months ago

I watched him play and his biggest advantage against the 4A schools is his size and ability to shoot the 3 over smaller players. He didn't seem quick enough for a swingman, and showed no desire to play inside at a foward spot when going up against anyone even close to his size. He obviously has something going for him if all the other schools are looking at him, but I trust HCBS on this one if he doesn't want to put an offer out to him.

justanotherfan 2 years, 5 months ago

Semi doesn't play in the post a lot because his HS coaches (to their credit) recognize that he is a college wing player. It doesn't benefit him at all to post up right now because he won't be a college post player. Although he could probably put up even more points posting up smaller players, or slower players in 4A (and shoot a higher percentage) that wouldn't prepare him to play on the wing in college.

His HS coaches are coaching him to prepare him best for his basketball future, which is on the perimeter. His shooting ability is similar to Brandon Rush, and he is a better ball handler than Rush was at the same point in his development. I would anticipate that he will move up in the recruit rankings after this summer's AAU ball.

Mike Bratisax 2 years, 5 months ago

I would be willing to bet that his high-ranking has more to do with AAU ball then high school. Also pretty sure that he has seen plenty of players his size playing AAU.

jaybate 2 years, 5 months ago

Looks like a great prospect but...

6-6 forward with long neck syndrome.

With that neck he will play no taller than 6-4.

He has the TRel neck.

This makes him a combo 3, not a true 3.

But a 50% trey gun in the kiddy leagues translates to a 40% trey gun in D1, so sign him up. He'd make a great true 2.

John Randall 2 years, 5 months ago

Good description of the situation. KU doesn't need him (maybe doesn't even want him) but HCBS is far too classy to point this out publicly.

Let the five✭ worshipers think it's a mistake for KU – their track record on who we should be going after is really pretty pathetic.

They would have had the Jayhawks playing without McM, MkM, TRob the last four years.

Having a high ✭rating isn't a bad thing, but just kind of irrelevant when it comes to playing on a top-level D1 team and making that team better than it would be without them.

How many times did the Calliope lead the country in ✭recruits before he finally lucked into a bunch with a real team attitude? Like any other coach, he can only coach the ones who are coachable.

mattrissien 2 years, 5 months ago

I'm living in Greensboro right now, maybe I'll put on a Jayhawk shirt and drive out to Durham............maybe he'll think it's a sign that he should be at KU!

ejlumus 2 years, 5 months ago

Must be a slow news day. Picture of someone visiting duke on KU Sports that KU is not interested in..

theend 2 years, 5 months ago

For some reason ....I'm in the mood to dislike Missouri today. I just realized there are probably only two people I like from Missouri.....1) Our own wise and witty Oakville Jayhawk...... ....... and 2) Beautiful,gorgeous country singer Sara Evans........with maybe an honorable mention to Harry Trumam-I'm a conservative republican .....but I liked old Harry.....He was a tough, good American.....he would freak at today's democats!

Anybody else like amyone from Missouri.....Did I miss anyone??

PS-Please Sara.....tell me you're not an MU fan!!

Ron Prichard 2 years, 5 months ago

Wait...Oakville is from Missouri? I though Oakville was just slang for Oakland, CA. I can't believe it. Now I know how my daughter felt when I told her Santa isn't real. I'm not afraid to admit that a little part of me died today.

theend 2 years, 5 months ago

Oakville lives in Missouri.....but he's a true KU fan as you will ever meet....went to KU as well. It's ok.......fear not!

jaybate 2 years, 5 months ago

Phog and Mark Twain and maybe Iba and Jo Jo and BenMac grew up and escaped. There is nothing wrong with the gene pool in Missouri among those few that do not practice inbreeding. Its the culture, you see. :-)

theend 2 years, 5 months ago

Excellent, Jaybate! I did not think of them! And surely my beautiful Sara Evans is not an MU fan. I think she lives in Nashville now.....so at least she got out!!

MizzouBest 2 years, 5 months ago

Well, sir.....Indeed! What a day for me to check in with my Kansas friends. However.....I'm shocked, sir.....to not make your list!!! Well.....at least you like Oakville.....he seems like a good guy. And Sara!!!!! What a dream Sara Evans is.....beauty personified!!

Well.....at least we agree on politics!!

theend 2 years, 5 months ago

Since you like Oakville and Sara Evans......I suppose I will put you on my list of "liked" Missourians. Glad you are a conservative, too. Proof that not all of you are bad!!!

Tony Bandle 2 years, 5 months ago

Just logged on...thanks theend....in a way, you native Kansans were given a great gift at birth, being born in truly God's country. As a native Missourian, I made a conscience decision to leave the "Dark Side" and find the "Light" by coming to the University of Kansas. I hope that counts for something. :)

theend 2 years, 5 months ago

Oakville-You always add both sanity and humor to this group.....your comments always concise and meaningful......proof that Missourians can overcome their birth places!!!

A confession......I have lived in Kansas much of my life......but have to admit I was born in Kansas City.......Missouri :(

Oh.......The Shame.......The Shame.........

Tony Bandle 2 years, 5 months ago

There..there..it's what you are now, not what you were, that counts!!

Tom Pritchard 2 years, 5 months ago

Yes I like myself...Oh and I happen to be a democrat...

Wisconsin2Kansas 2 years, 5 months ago

Conservatives really like to hear themselves talk. Take for example, Sarah Palin.

John Randall 2 years, 5 months ago

I don't suppose you'd understand a comment about the narcissism displayed by Barry Soetoro, so go ahead and pi$$ away the rest of American tradition by supporting his handlers who can't even get him to tell the same lie twice.

BTW - Republicans only send a conservative to DC about once every three or four attempts.

Wisconsin2Kansas 2 years, 5 months ago

Don't tell me you're a birther too, KU62? Just when I thought there was an intelligent republican in this world! Good luck with the upcoming election, though! Looks like the Republicans are going to put a man in office! (sarcasm)

Pam McCormick 2 years, 5 months ago

My daughter and son in law live in Joplin. My grandson is a huge KU fan in spite of the fact he has lived in Joplin most of his life. I think it might be ok there, it is close to Kansas and the air seems cleaner than in other parts of MO : )

Curtis Stutz 2 years, 5 months ago

hopefully you're rooting for the new linebacker coach, even though he played at MU

NWKhawk 2 years, 5 months ago

Semi is clearly a a high D1 talent, and has the academics to go along. Stanford, Wisconsin, and Northwestern came to Goodland to watch the kid last December. He's been well coached, so he'll be ready to step in and play where ever he ends up. My guess is that he'll end up at one of the schools with very high academic standards, as it's very important to their family. I think the 'Hawks have an outside shot if they decide to offer, as I know one of his coaches is a KU alum, and his father is graduate of KU med, and did his residency there as well.

RJ King 2 years, 5 months ago

Ya. Agreed. That's why I don't quite get Arizona, Oregon, Mizzou and KSU. And for everyone getting all riled up about KU not offering yet, neither has Duke.

sleepy33 2 years, 5 months ago

Every time I see this kid's name, all I can think of is Coming To America. I think we should offer him just for his hi-top fade alone.

FSUJHAWK 2 years, 5 months ago

Ha ha, that's the first thing I thought about when I saw his name. CTA is a classic in my books. Actually, i believe Arseno's main character name was "Semmi" and not "semi" different spelling and pronounciation.

RC!!!

sleepy33 2 years, 5 months ago

Yeah, I know...Nonetheless, the song from the Soul-Glo commercial has been stuck in my head all day.

jaybate 2 years, 5 months ago

Does Duke ever show recruits the old slave quarters, when they visit?

Jack Wilson 2 years, 5 months ago

justanotherfan said of Ojeleye: "He would dominate any level of HS basketball."

Really? I always love those sort of unsupported comments. I don't know if he's seen the teams Ottawa plays, but what you're talking about mainly are small schools, rural, etc. Poor competition, generally. Eudora, Osawatomie, Louisburg. Weak league. Mediocre basketball at best.

Ojeleye was not the best player in the state last year. Ellis was. Ellis played real competition at the H.S. level -- for Kansas. And there is an argument to be made that others were better at the H.S. level than Ojeleye, given the competition. Clayton Custer being one. Frankamp another.

But being the best player in Kansas doesn't mean anything. His ranking in the 30s shows that he has national respect and is a player worthy of recruiting. You don't get there by accident.

However, Self avoids/waits on certain guys for a reason. I am quite sure there is a good reason he hasn't made an offer. konkeyDong offers one possible explanation. My hunch is that Self has his figurative or literal "big board" and this guy is lower on Self's llist than his rivals ranking. Nothing sinister or negligent.

And unlike what happened with Kaleb Tarczewski, there is no indication that Self is disregarding the next tier of prospects in favor of focusing on the one top guy.

What we absolutely do not want is Self recruiting kids because they are from Kansas, or taking a lesser player because he happens to live here. Give me that shooter from Alaska, or some twins from Philly, or the beast from Jersey. I'll skip the Kansas kids .. unless they are really good and fit with what coach Self wants to do. We don't need to protect our borders here.

Also, if he is truly wanting a school with "high academics" .. presumably having nothing to do with smoking illegal substances .. he should just pick Stanford and be done. Always funny to hear these kids talk about academics. As if any of these D-1 schools are poor academically. Forget academics. You'll get that. Go to the school that will develop your basketball skills, that will give you the opportunity to play at the next level, and that will make you and your family happy. If you have the talents to be a brain surgeon, you can always do that .. whether you go to K-State undergrad or Stanford (of course, at K-State, you might end up dealing with a horse's brain, but a brain surgeon, nonetheless).

Sam Constance 2 years, 5 months ago

"We don't need to protect our borders here"

EXACTLY.

That's a task for schools like Kansas State. Nice post all around.

bennybob 2 years, 5 months ago

good post,

but at this point, given the situation with our front court depth. wouldn't you agree it'd been nice to have that 7 footer from olathe that Self let leave the state last year?

Tony Bandle 2 years, 5 months ago

It's all about the haircut...he really is only 6'-2" tall!!

theend 2 years, 5 months ago

Reminds me of the 80's and Theo on "The Cosby's"

bradynsdad 2 years, 5 months ago

A little off topic here but I am still amazed we didn't get Tarc. I have been to Tucson and it is by far one of the ugliest places in the world. Maybe the woman are good looking but there are plenty of good looking woman at colleges (except mizzou). Is Miller the next Cal? What really stinks is Tarc doesn't want to be a one and done, he wants stay stay in college a few years. I do have faith that Lucas, peters,Ellis and trayor will all be good I am just still baffled by Tarcs decision. There is no reason Arizona shouldn't have made the tournament last year, they were a stacked good team. Sometimes I wonder if kids even think about who the good coaches are or if it's just about money and playing time.

BrockIII 2 years, 5 months ago

Tarc's change of tune was more influenced by his AAU coach, who is connected to Sean Miller.

Jack Wilson 2 years, 5 months ago

Where did you get this information from? Do you have a link to an article or something? I had not heard that.

Dyrk Dugan 2 years, 5 months ago

He's visited KU....unofficially, (which just means he pays) and now he'll unofficially visit Duke. Neither school has offered him. This is just recruiting....it is what it is.

HCBS already has a commitment from two kids for this class...and one of them is in the same category as Mr. Ojeleye. With McLemore and White on the roster already, does he really need another three? I don't think so. And we haven't offered James Young either....and he's listed in the top 10.

this is no big deal that we haven't offered him.....look who has: K-State and Mizzou. So we may go head to head to head vs. local schools on a kid that might not see the floor his first two years here? Doesn't sound plausible to me.

It'll play out just fine....we all need to let it take its course, which includes the LJW....a little breathless on this story, and it's not necessary.

matlockhawk 2 years, 5 months ago

Do I shoot, or do I pass? Do I shoot, or do I pass? Hmmmm.... Wait!!! Five seconds!?! What does that mean? lol DaMontre, Kansas is college basketball. You will be loved here!!

Jesse Johnson 2 years, 5 months ago

Do the LJW editors not realize that there are KU basketball fans all over the country that visit this website that are unfamiliar with Kansas geography? When I read Ottawa, I was thinking Ottawa, Canada and was totally confused as to why this was headline news that this kid whom we are not even recruiting was visiting Duke. I was still confused after reading the article. Thank you fellow posters for doing their job in pointing out that Ottawa is a Kansas town about 15 miles from Lawrence.

sleepy33 2 years, 5 months ago

I dunno, man. You really think there's a large number of people reading this article that have never lived in or very close to the state of Kansas? Plus, the article states he's a Mo-Kan Elite AAU player.

Sam Constance 2 years, 5 months ago

Another clue was that he led his team to a second place finish in the Class 4A State tournament. I doubt they have state tournaments in Canadia, ey? Maybe province tournaments, ey?

Not to mention the fact that most readers will infer/assume that a college recruit is based in the United States unless an article explicitly says otherwise.

Mike Bratisax 2 years, 5 months ago

lol.. didn't think about Canada but I did need to hit the recall button.

kugrad93 2 years, 5 months ago

If they meant Canada, they would have specified he is Canadian. Good grief. He plays for Mo-Kan Elite, as in Missouri-Kansas Elite. Should the J-W should specifically write Kansas after every Kansas town mentioned -- no matter how obvious -- so Jesse isn't confused? Ottawa is less than half an hour from KU. How many KU alums/fans don't know this? For the record, KU road games in Manhattan typically refer to the home of Kansas State and not the island in New York.

BrockIII 2 years, 5 months ago

The apparent lack of interest in Ojeleye has to come down to how loaded KU now appears at the wing. The priority right now is point guard/combo guard - maybe down the road the primary ballhandler is Adams, Frankamp or Tharpe, but that's not settled yet.

My guess is that the staff is taking a very close look at Barber and Ennis and possibly still Freeman. At this point, Ojeleye would have a lot of competition ahead of him at the wing. KU already is loaded with athletic wings that can shoot.

Wisconsin2Kansas 2 years, 5 months ago

I'd much rather sign Milton Doyle opposed to D Harris.

Jack Wilson 2 years, 5 months ago

You, my friend, have been smoking some wacky weed.

Or simply the author of the soon to be best selling paperback "How to destroy your credibility in a one line post."

Mike Bratisax 2 years, 5 months ago

I think you hit that one out of the ballpark.

Wisconsin2Kansas 2 years, 5 months ago

I'd assume you're going to be the author of that book? I'm sure millions of people will be lining up to buy that book! Who doesn't want to read about losing your credibility on a online post? (Yes, I do realize you were joking. But what you said was not comical what so ever) Back to my point, though. I'd rather take a chance on a guard who has potential opposed to having someone who average 6.8 ppg in 26 minutes of action at South Carolina as a Sophomore.

Martin Rosenblum 2 years, 5 months ago

Too long without a Semi poke.

The toll (on the turnpike) going to Manhattan is pretty high for a semi. Get it, the toll for going to Manhattan rather than Lawrence is high.

Ok, it's been a long day.

bennybob 2 years, 5 months ago

If we end up going after this kid, great! ill never turn away a nice wing prospect. but i think the focus should be on landing bigs.

at this point i would trade the possibility of signing every single one of the guards we're recruiting if it guaranteed a commit from Chris Walker or Julius Randle.

Up until now the only one and done experiemts Self has played with have been Xavier Henry and Josh Selby, two GUARDS! WTF!

it just seems so counter intuitive to me that a coach who runs his whole offense through the post wouldn't want to run that offense with the most elite post players in the country.

there's no reason KU shouldn't be to bigs what UK is to point guards. Self has proven he can take above average athletes and get them to the league. imagine what he could do with bonafide NBA star level talent!

i'm not in favor of becoming another UK and bringing in 4-5 OADs a year. but i do think we should be bringing in a top 5 post player year in and year out and then use the rest of the schollies on those "program builders" type of player we all love.

Alohahawk 2 years, 5 months ago

bennybob, the other day you commented about another poster's comment (Can't remember which poster) and said something to the effect that you had said the same thing, but felt your comments weren't received as (to insert my own word) 'judiciously' as that poster's comments. You surely must realize that you almost always come out with a negative attitude towards HCBS, whom most of us consider to be one of the best coaches in college BB, and his recruiting methods. And there are numerous posters on here, including myself, who feel the vitriol you continuously vent towards Coach Self. ----- You obviously think alot about KU and Jayhawk BB, and your posts are thought provoking (on most occasions.) However, in the above post you insinuate that Self doesn't go after top ranked bigs, in the same manner as he does after wings and guards. I beg to differ. Didn't he go all out for Tark? Didn't he do pretty much the same, recently, with Tony Parker? And hasn't he picked up some very good bigs over the last few years? - Morris Twins, Aldrich, Withey (albeit by transfer), and previously Khan, and Shady? Although he has done better with his OAD program focus (and which you agree above isn't what KU would want), even Cal Lie Pari hasn't been able to sign up every great big. ----- As for the future: Currently, Self has KU being considered by the best, top ranked recruits in 2013 and 2014, and he has offered to most of them. Randle (although pretty much Duke bound), C. Walker, J. Lawrence, Karviar Shepherd. And there's a good possibility Harris might opt to transfer to KU. Regarding one of the top centers in 2013, BeeJay Anja, ESPN.com has a current story about him on their NCAA BB page, under 'Recruiting highlights' titled "Center of attention". ESPN ranks him 15th overall, at 6' 9", 275 lbs, with a 7'4" wingspan. He lists KU, along with about 6 or seven other elite schools. In the article he states he's looking for "... a school with a recognized strength-and-conditioning program." and with a "championship pedigree". Sounds similar to what T. Parker stated during his recruitment. Yet where did KU end up in that final analysis? ----- So, my questions to you, bennybob, are: Doesn't some of what I've just said sound like Self has been attempting to pick up quality bigs? And although he has struck out on many occasions, hasn't he also succeeded (Twins, Aldrich, Shady, Khan, Etc.) with others? And finally, if you think you could do better, how would you go about it? (Legally and without paying money under the table, as some posters have suggested may have happened elsewhere?)

Alohahawk 2 years, 5 months ago

bennybob 2 years, 5 months ago

Aloha,

first off, thanks for the honesty. it much easier for me to have dialogue with someone when they can rationally explain to me why they dont like my posting style instead of just calling me derogatory terms or labeling me a "troll" or "not a true fan"

I absolutely agree Self has gone after, and continues to go after, most of the top big men in the country year in and year out. my origional post was meant to be more of a "why aren't these kids dying to come here" question then a "why isn't self recruiting the best kids" question. and as i reread that post i can understand how it could be misinterpreted.

to answer your questions:

yes, your evidence suggests Self is trying to land the top big men.

yes, Self has suceeded in developing talent from non top tier prospects.

if i was incharge, the first thing i would do to fix the program would be to get out of the addidas sponsorship deal and sign with nike. even if the money wasn't as good the impact that change would make on the recruiting trail would be more than worth it.

Alohahawk 2 years, 5 months ago

Mahalo for your reply and honesty, as well. And I do agree that one has to wonder, what with Self's record with developing bigs, why KU can't attract more top tier recruits.

I usually try to keep an open mind and see the other person's point of view. And I admit that even I can get a little bent out of shape over certain comments made on this, or any other board. However, we all have the right to express our opinions on things, especially when they are important to us. And boards wouldn't be worth a hoot if people didn't post their thoughts. Keep adding your 2 cents/sense and I'll keep adding mine. :>)

John Randall 2 years, 5 months ago

bennybob, have I misunderstood your continual insistence that the way to determine which players are worth pursuing long and hard is to accept the rankings of services which consistently hype players whose names we won't know two or three years down the road?

Reading Rivals or other rankings is a very lame excuse for expounding on recruits as if you had one-tenth the ability to judge them as HCBS does.

As for my preference, I get much less satisfaction from bragging rights on 5✭ recruits than I do over conference championships and playing the second or third week of the NCAA tournament.

Curtis Stutz 2 years, 5 months ago

BeeJay Anya could follow Peter Jurkin to Indiana, I mean those names are too perfect together. But it is good to know KU is probably going to land a talented big for the '13-14 season, whether it's Harris, Walker, Randle or Anya and hopefully Self gets 2 of those 4 as well as Barber.

bennybob, it's not like Self doesn't want talented big men. Of course he did run his offense with best big man in the country last year as far as I'm concerned. Were Padgett's reasons for leaving legit?, not at all, he could have been somebody at KU. Maybe the fans ran him off, maybe he just couldn't be reasoned with, who knows. It's a lot easier to recruit the top bigs if you don't already have a bunch of quality big men on your roster. KU fans have been spoiled by starting NBA talent at both frontcourt positions basically every year Self's been at KU. Spot opens up at PF, Self brings in the Rivals #5 ranked PF. Recruiting Demontre Harris and a bundle of 2013 bigs to replace the loss of Withey, the job is getting done.

Alohahawk 2 years, 5 months ago

This'll probably get censored, but for the few who may have missed your meaning: BeeJay and Peter and Jurkin? All in the same line? LMAO. Nice, subtle interrelationship, phogphan2000. :>?

Alohahawk 2 years, 5 months ago

Sorry for the double post above. I seem to be having problems posting today. My first post was too long and would not go through, and when I tried to edit it, it appeared twice (?) And I keep having to type in my password each time I want to post. Anyway, I've tried to add my thoughts on Ojeleye twice, and it's been canceled out, so this is my 3rd attempt. Talented or not, as pointed out by other posters above, KU doesn't have the need for someone at Semi's position, even if McLemore proves good enough and jumps to the league after one season. And, with some recruits, "Once an anti-Jayhawk, always one." It might be true about Semi, and I think that's what happened with Cauley. (ie. If I'd been offered a scholarship to K-State, I would have turned it down. If talented enough, I may have gone elsewhere, but not K-State. Even though one of my sisters and mom were die-hard Wildcat fans. As it was, I was almost dis-owned!) As for home-grown talent, just because a recruit grows up in Kansas, doesn't mean they fit as a Jayhawk, and especially, that they are talented enough. Witness all the homies who try out each year for a walk-on position and don't make the cut. A recruit earns a scholarship for his virtues and abilities, not for his home-grown rights. And as for walk-ons, they are a whole different category - of abilities, but probably moreso, inner connections.