Monday, May 21, 2012

KU football player gets diversion for OUI case

A Kansas University football player has entered into a diversion agreement after an April arrest for operating a vehicle under the influence.

James D. Sims, 20, entered into the agreement on May 9, according to a Lawrence Municipal Court clerk. As part of the one-year diversion agreement, Sims agreed to pay $1,060 in fines and costs, not to violate any laws for the duration of the agreement and not to consume alcohol.

Sims, a starting running back last season, was arrested in the 1300 block of Jayhawk Boulevard shortly after 2:15 a.m. April 8. He also must agree to abide by any recommendations given following an alcohol counseling session. After his arrest, Sims was suspended for the first three games of the season.

Comments

lv_jhwk 1 year, 10 months ago

On the subject of the school name: I live out of state, and can't say that I correct anyone who says "Kansas University" very often. I just wait to pick another fight, which is bound to happen sooner rather than later. Despite this, I do find it maddening that a newspaper would ignore the request of its hometown institution. Has anyone associated with the LJW ever come out and say exactly why they have such blatant disregard for this University policy?

On the subject of the diversion: I have a strong suspicion I already know the answer to my own question, but does anyone think that Sims' suspension might be reduced in relation to the diminished offense?

AzHawk97 1 year, 10 months ago

Just a note on the "Kansas University" issue, the Wall Street Journal referred to the University of Oklahoma (OU) as "Oklahoma University" in a recent article. They quickly issued a correction the very next day!

Ron Prichard 1 year, 10 months ago

I'm not a huge stickler on the name debate, but it does bother me that the LJW will refer to KU as Kansas University but doesn't refer to MU as Missouri University, or OU as Oklahoma University, or CU as Colorado University, or NU as Nebraska University, or ....

I am a double alum and not once while I went to school or in the 15 years since have I ever told someone I attended Kansas University. KU or the University of Kansas. That is the name of the school. It's not a difficult concept. I honestly don't understand the reluctance by the Journal World Lawrence to use the correct name.

If the writers will start using consistency across all schools, then I will withdraw my complaint and go with the "style" explanation, even though it would clearly be wrong. Until then, it's just poor reporting and writing, and there is no justifiable excuse for it.

commonsenseanyone 1 year, 10 months ago

Keep your chin up and learn a lesson from this mistake James. We all make mistakes, it's how we get up, dust ourselves off and correct the problem now. Good luck this season.

jayhawkintx1973 1 year, 11 months ago

Lawrence is that big of a town that if you're a student, you can't walk back to your apartment, dorm, or rented house if you've been drinking and are of age. And they also have taxi cabs there, or you can party in your apartment or the house you rent. And then if anyone comes to your party, take their keys at the door as a condition of entrance.

This can be stopped by self accountability.

jayhawkintx1973 1 year, 11 months ago

You don't have to be an athlete to get a diversion, as long as you have a lawyer. You can get one if they charge you with a crime if you tell the judge right up front you can't afford one. Then you'll get a diversion on the first offense, but thereafter, its your fault if you don't learn from the mistake.

If James Sims gets this wrong, he won't be on the football team.

But lets face it, you never hear a story of just a student getting arrested for OUI. This doesn't mean it doesn't happen, but if they started reporting on non-athlete students getting arrested for this, they'll have to add lots of pages to the Newspaper.

Get over it. If you believe that an athlete should be held to a higher standard than yourself under the law, we have major problems in this country's future.

danmoore 1 year, 11 months ago

If one insists on University of Kansas then shouldn't we start using UK instead of KU?

Kansas University, University of Kansas, Kansas and KU. They are all okay by me.

notigers4me 1 year, 11 months ago

Live and learn and move on. We all make mistakes and hopefully we learn from them. We are with you, James and we look forward to watching you on the field this year.

Benjamin Piehler 1 year, 11 months ago

No more OUIs or bar incidents for the rest of the summer, please!

ahpersecoachingexperience 1 year, 11 months ago

"Kansas University" is insulting to us that attended the University of Kansas. Do you hear me World Journal Lawrence?